2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: archive 0
Celene
 player, 868 posts
 Sorcerer 3 / Cleric 1
Wed 11 May 2016
at 23:39
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Celene kept her eyes away from Logan's body. She preferred to remember him whole. She gave Alohan his space and quirked an eyebrow at Angati as she tittered on the ground. For the moment the conflicted sorceress swallowed her own problems and tried to put on a brave face. Approaching Kassius "Do any of the routes further in seem a better choice?" she asked.

I can channel some more or would you rather use the wand at this point?
Kassius
 player, 396 posts
 Hunter 4
Thu 12 May 2016
at 02:02
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
"
Hmmm, it would seem I'm the group's best scout now."
Kassius says. His voice is level, almost emotionless. Unlike some of the others, the half-orc deals with extreme emotions by suppressing and hiding them from his friends. Still, a careful ear could detect the barely suppressed stammer in the middle of his words.

Looking over the entrances, Kassius tries to quickly determine if there's any path that is more preferable.
22:01, Today: Kassius rolled 23,16 using 1d20+10,1d20+10. perception, survival.
Perception looking for general clues/traps, survival looking for tracks at each of the entrances.


Channeling is more efficient when there are lots of injuries. CLW is better for 1-2. Since we currently have three injured, I'd say maybe 1 channel (likely to bring Kibeti to near full), than use the wand as needed after that?
Dungeon Master
 GM, 1750 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Thu 12 May 2016
at 05:38
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Kassius carefully scouts out the room and its exits. It is a large cavern with a 20' high ceiling studded with stalactites and drying lines strung between them. Away from the area of the battle some of the silks look like they might actually be salvageable. The hunter doesn’t have Logan’s ability to accurately appraise the value of things, but finds eight that he reckons might be worth around 50gp each. He also stumbles across a low table in the north-east corner of the room that holds a jumble of fancy looking bound books, spread out to dry. Although water damaged, the collection of tomes on topics ranging from lizardfolk cuisine to naturalist studies of the Jungle Coast area might be worth 200gp as a lot.

OOC: Added to the party loot thread

There are a total of five exits from the room, including the one they use to enter by in the south-east.

The north-east exit is a short corridor into a small cavern holding some big pens made out of bamboo, several of which look like they have been smashed. In addition to the terrible rotten egg smell that forms the background odour of this place he can smell wet fur in that direction.

The north-west exit leads to a long passageway with a door about 15’ down on the left-hand side – the howling noises are particularly bad from this direction.

The western exit leads to a passageway that quickly bends to the south so he can’t see very far, but he hears a rhythmic thumping from that direction.

The south-west is a passageway with bright sunlight at the end - he realises that this just leads to the outside.

OOC: Sigh. Still no internet other than using my mobile. Had to give up on the new ISP since they spent days trying to get the connection to my house working. Decided to go back to the old supplier even though it is more expensive. At least they can get it working. Anyway, that means you need to hold off on the map update for a little longer.

Once you are healed you may choose a direction and proceed.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 1751 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Thu 12 May 2016
at 05:40
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
If there is any magic items on Logan's corpse that your character might find useful, I'm sure he wouldn't mind you borrowing them.
Angati
 PC, 556 posts
 Oracle 4
Thu 12 May 2016
at 08:03
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Angati had trouble removing the shrink wrap from he wand, it was too stuck and without wrinkles so she had to use her teeth.

Angati picked the wand from her belt, and started healing her friends, it took a little while, with several charges used mostly on herself and Celene, but by the time she was done, they were all as good as new... except for poor Logan she thought giving another look at her friends body, and taking some of the better kept silks and covering her body as well as she could with it. "Will be back for you..." she said patting the corpse.

OOC: 7 Charges off the CLW.
2 Charges on Celen for 13hp
1 Charge Kibeti for 6hp
4 Charges on Angati for 24hp

09:00, Today: Angati rolled 7 using 1d8+1.  CLW Angati.
08:59, Today: Angati rolled 11 using 3d8+1.  CLW Angati. Error wanted to roll just 1 more.
08:59, Today: Angati rolled 17 using 3d8+3.  CLW Angati.
08:57, Today: Angati rolled 6 using 1d8+1.
08:57, Today: Angati rolled 6 using 1d8+1.  CLW Celene.
08:56, Today: Angati rolled 7 using 1d8+1.  CLW Celene.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 1753 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Thu 12 May 2016
at 11:14
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Great, which route out? Don't be shy - first one to post chooses the direction...
Angati
 PC, 557 posts
 Oracle 4
Thu 12 May 2016
at 11:20
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
"Let's get over with this if we can... let's take the North-West route shall we ?".
Celene
 player, 870 posts
 Sorcerer 3 / Cleric 1
Thu 12 May 2016
at 19:09
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Celene feeling much better, after the light wanding, allowed the others to take the lead as they walked towards the howling madness.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 1754 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Thu 12 May 2016
at 20:03
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Angati:
Angati had trouble removing the shrink wrap from he wand, it was too stuck and without wrinkles so she had to use her teeth.


OOC: Well at least it is finally getting used :D

Angati:
Angati picked the wand from her belt, and started healing her friends, it took a little while, with several charges used mostly on herself and Celene, but by the time she was done, they were all as good as new...


Can you please add the number of remaining charges on that one onto your character status block that you have at the bottom of each combat post?

Angati:
except for poor Logan she thought giving another look at her friends body, and taking some of the better kept silks and covering her body as well as she could with it. "Will be back for you..." she said patting the corpse.


You are exploring a cavern full of ravenous cannibal pirates, and you're just going to leave the body of your friend there, hanging like a smoked salami? Dang, that is cold man...

How much of the corpse needs to remain to cast raise dead in pathfinder anyway? If you can extract some of Logan's hair and teeth from a savage pirate stool, would that be enough?


Celene:
Celene feeling much better, after the light wanding...


Yes, we all enjoy a bit of light wanding now and again...

Scotch on the rocks RULTZ!


The party move down the corridor and reach a primitive looking door set into a natural exit from the passageway - it is possible to peer around the sides of the doorframe which doesn't cover the whole entrance. On the front of the door the following has been written in boilerplate lettering with a thick piece of charcoal: "UROL'S ALCHEMY LABORATORY - STAY OUT!".

Through the cracks in the side of the door frame you can see that the roughly circular cavern on the other side is rather small - about 20' in diameter. A haphazard barricade of shelves, tables and large books is jumbled up against the door, forming a very crude obstacle to getting in. Beyond that, large pottery urns line the walls, within each of these grows a riot of strange mushrooms, fluted toadstools, phosphorescent moulds, greasy-looking fronds of pale lichens and all matter of strange fungi. Several large glass terrariums, their walls beaded with condensation, stand along the west wall. One of these is shattered, the loamy soil within spilling out onto the sandy floor near a long but low table heaped with flasks, jars, bottles and tools. From behind this table rises a small plume of smoke.

As the party peek into this room, they are conscious of the racket from the end of the corridor. They can't see much of the room that opens up there, but there is at least one large pen constructed of bamboo inside the room and there are a couple of creatures howling and shouting from within it.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 1755 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Thu 12 May 2016
at 20:05
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove

Updated map - the party are following the NW corridor.
Celene
 player, 871 posts
 Sorcerer 3 / Cleric 1
Thu 12 May 2016
at 21:03
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Celene cleaned her neck to see into the room "We should check through these stores. There's bound to be something that can help us." The sorceress said hopefully. She was for any edge possible that might turn the tide should another of those cursed dinosaurs find them.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 1756 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Fri 13 May 2016
at 04:03
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
I need a strength check to push the door open - two people can push together.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 1757 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Fri 13 May 2016
at 06:20
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Character Strength Scores

Alohan  14 +2
Angati  13 +1
Celene   8 -1
Kassius 11 +0

Kibeti  14 +2
Logan   10 +0

Cats and dead people can't push.

Hmm, this is not a very strong party. This is a DC18 strength check, although if you failed you can start smashing it open - this will make some noise.

Beni, please feel free to roll for you and Alohan pushing together.

Celene
 player, 872 posts
 Sorcerer 3 / Cleric 1
Fri 13 May 2016
at 14:41
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Celene rummages in her pack and draws out a crowbar. She looks it up and down and then passes it up the line. "Try this. Should make things easier." she said somewhat cheerfully. Finally she was able to contribute to something; even if it was just carrying the right tool for the job.

It's on her character sheet. :) Just in case you ask.
Angati
 PC, 558 posts
 Oracle 4
Fri 13 May 2016
at 17:24
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Family weekend out,  will be hard for me to post.
18:23, Today: Angati rolled 13 using 1d20+3.  Str Roll.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 1758 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Fri 13 May 2016
at 18:32
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Angati:
Family weekend out,  will be hard for me to post.
18:23, Today: Angati rolled 13 using 1d20+3.  Str Roll.


Same goes for me.

The dark skinned native and the stout oracle (who appears to be in her 50's but has a strength far beyond that) push and shove against the door and the primitive barricade beyond it. But it is no use, they can't open the door more than an inch before the combined weight of shelving, desks and books proves too much. Just pushing will not be enough.

A crockery pot on the top of the pile is knocked off and tumbles down to land on a table leg where it explodes with a loud (to the party) crash, and spills a few dried herbs. The noise level from down the corridor does not change, nor does what they are screaming out. "KILL! EAT! KILL! EAT!", "I AM SO HUUUUUNGRY!" and "MY SOUL FOR THE PRINCE OF THE SAVAGE TIDES!" But the noise of the rattling cages it seems like they are somehow penned up back there.

Celene:
It's on her character sheet. :) Just in case you ask.


Crazy!! But actually the perfect tool for the job. Do you guys want to start peeling off the boards on the door frame? It isn't a professional job and should be pretty easy.

Anyone should feel free to answer.

Celene
 player, 873 posts
 Sorcerer 3 / Cleric 1
Fri 13 May 2016
at 18:37
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
I think that would be for the best. Will make less noise than hacking through the door.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 1759 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Fri 13 May 2016
at 18:39
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
With the rest of the party standing with drawn weapons and anxious eyes on the end of the corridor, Alohan starts tearing away the boards in an effort to get into the room.

OOC: MUST... HAVE.... LOOT!
Urol Forol
 PC, 1 post
Fri 13 May 2016
at 18:44
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
As the breaking crockery announces the attempt to force the barricade, a brief patter of foot-falls can be heard inside the room.

"Eh?  Who's out there?"  A few moments of silence go by, and a puff of breath carries with it the powerful stench of burnt plant matter.  "No matter, I'm safe in here with my loco-weed and my little Amary."  A brief titter.

"You all made fun of me for smoking it, and now look at you!  Tearing each other to pieces.  No, I'll just wait in here until all the fuss is gone.  You're never going to get past my barricade anyway."
Alohan Nuari
 player, 416 posts
 Barbarian 2 / Monk 2
Sat 14 May 2016
at 16:28
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
'I'll show you,' Alohan thought to himself, rising to challenge whatever it was attempting to keep him and his allies out. He used the crowbar to hack and pull, using the tool to leverage the door open inch by inch. He was making excellent progress but soon the tool snagged, catching Alohan at an awkward angle. His knee twisted inward and he tweaked his back. It hurt, enough that he had to step away from the door and 'walk it off.'

As he stomped around the corridor sucking in air and holding his lower back, he passed the crowbar to Kassius. "I be needin' a second," he mumbled, pacing in a circle.
STR: 12:24, Today: Alohan Nuari rolled 3 using 1d20+2 ((1)).
I never thought I would ever NOT want to play a game due to the dice rollers but holy hell. It's like Alohan is cursed. It's disheartening.

Celene
 player, 874 posts
 Sorcerer 3 / Cleric 1
Sat 14 May 2016
at 16:34
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Celene watched as the attempts to open the door proved futile. She decided to try another avenue "Sir? Urol is it? We are not afflicted with whatever has turned these man and animals into savage mindless beasts. We are here to put a stop to it. Allow us in and maybe we can work together to clear this up. Otherwise I'm afraid a number of these men, or one of the dinosaurs, will break down your barricade and make a meal of you. We also have a boat at anchor nearby; we're willing to give you safe passage out of here should you choose to leave." She hoped the man could hear her over the screams of the savages.

Cast Guidance

12:34, Today: Celene rolled 18 using 1d20+9.  Diplomacy.

Kassius
 player, 397 posts
 Hunter 4
Sun 15 May 2016
at 01:53
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Kassius holds back on destroying the barricade, hoping that Celene's more peaceful overture might work. It was worth an attempt, although Kassius' previous attempt at peace with the crazed residents of this island had not worked well.
Angati
 PC, 559 posts
 Oracle 4
Mon 16 May 2016
at 13:37
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Angati thought it would be nearly impossible to have the man change his mind, but it was well worth the effort, so while they were at it, she decided to help Celene on that.

"Dear Mr. Forol, we have come to you, looking for your highly recommended and valued services. Your name has become somewhat of a legend within the Alchemist circles, and while I am not an alchemist myself I must say that I am pretty impressed by the prowess of your creations".

She paused a bit "Now, we have been sent to verify if your knowledge and alchemical capabilities do actually stand to the name you have made for yourself, but of course, we are not going to continue risking our lives in this tasks just to hear you muttering through a door. We need to see proof that you are actually THE living and breathing UROL FOROL and that your prowess stands up to your reputation".
Urol Forol
 PC, 2 posts
Mon 16 May 2016
at 18:38
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
After a few moments of quiet, you hear the sound of scraping inside the room, and the gnome seems to be muttering to himself.  Finally, the door swings open, about an inch, enough to see Urol's face.  The gnome is dirty, and a strange smell comes from the room as soon as the door is open - a mixture of the noxious loco-weed the gnome has been smoking, as well as the smell of alchemical agents, and a deep odor of mildew and rot.  He stared at the party for awhile, taking in their faces, then exhaled.

"I can tell you're not afflicted with whatever got the rest of them.  No strange appendages, and you're not yelling and screaming, so that's a good sign.  Got to watch out for those types, eh?  And you've got a boat? All the better!  I wouldn't be wanting to spend the rest of my life trapped here, that's for certain.  Though I do have some company, isn't that right?"

The gnome reached down and patted a moist sack hanging off his belt, which seemed to push back against him.  Urol smiled again.  "Yes, that's right."

His attention suddenly shifted to Angati, and he eyed the woman suspiciously.  "You've heard of me?  Then you must surely know all about the wondrous genera of fungi!  Is that why you're seeking my advice?  Oh, tell me more!  I've seen a lot, probably more than anyone else, I wager, but I'm always looking for new ones to add to my little sketchbook.  As long as it isn't just a new morph of some existing mold."  The gnome blew out his cheeks.  "Won't believe how many people think they've found a new species of mold, and it turns out to just be an existing one, living in a strange place, with some coloring caused by a trace mineral in the soil - or, and this was really funny, just sick!  Ha!  I know, I didn't believe it myself!  But sometimes molds can get their own infections, and it can affect their coloring.  Well, anyway, that was a pretty sore spot for a naturalist, made quite the fool of him I did."  Urol looks up.  "Anyway, so you were saying you needed my assistance?  Let me get a few things and I'll be back."

The gnome closed the door and retreated back into his room.  Only the occasional sounds of muttering and tinkling glass emerged, accompanied by heavy scraping sounds.  A little later, the gnome pushed the door open far enough to squeeze through.  He blinked a few times, and addressed Celene: "So, where's this boat, then?"
Celene
 player, 875 posts
 Sorcerer 3 / Cleric 1
Mon 16 May 2016
at 19:09
Re: 2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Celene was taken aback by the gnome’s sudden willingness to leave his hidey hole ”The ship is waiting a few miles north of Kraken’s Cove. We won’t be returning to it until we finish our business here. You are welcome to join us on the return trip. If you are willing, and able, to help us further your knowledge of these caves would be a great asset.”that was as much information as Celene was willing to part with. She had no idea who this man might be in league with.