2C - TBG - Part Three: Carnevale!   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: archive 0
Dungeon Master
 GM, 1944 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Sun 31 Jul 2016
at 18:36
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
Angati does her best to help Alohan subdue the wiry acrobat but it is unnecessary - the barbarian has her locked up in his vicelike grip. Diamondback executes a series of wild manoeuvres to try and dislodge the native's hold on her (escape artist) and genuinely seems surprised when she can't break free.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:53, Sun 31 July 2016.

Diamondback
 NPC, 10 posts
Sun 31 Jul 2016
at 18:38
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
"Ugh. She said to watch out for the others but that you were an amateur. I guess I should have given you more credit..." Diamondback mutters darkly.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 1945 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Sun 31 Jul 2016
at 18:52
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
With that the fight is effectively over as with the help of the rest of the party Alohan is in no danger of loosing his prey - he quickly succeeds in tieing her up and the last living stiltwalker is also put under close watch. As the barbarian drags the bound Diaminback to her feet a roaring crash of thunder announces the arrival of the storm proper and it begins to rain heavily - the deep, thick, tropical rain of Sasserine.

As the fires begin to splutter and die, the square around the tavern clears of its final panicking party goers. Alohan notes that one person, a dark hooded figure who is seemingly immune to the pelting rain, is not running. The figure's face is hidden in the shadow of their hood, but the barbarian can feel their eyes on him, watching as the fleeing civilians part and run up the street either side of them. The figure turns, Alohan thinks that perhaps he catches a flicker of red hair beneath the hood, but then his view is obscured by the crowd. When he can see up the street again the figure is gone.

OOC: Well that is that disaster of an ambush finished. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put them on stilts? Mind you, if you'd done worse on the skills challenge it might have been a different story.

The party needs to be fully healed before you continue. Alohan has taken 14, Angati 11, Urol 4, Kassius 13 & Kibeti 9. A few channels perhaps?

Celene
 player, 951 posts
 Sorcerer 4 / Cleric 1
Sun 31 Jul 2016
at 20:45
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
Celene attempts to heal her allies.

16:44, Today: Celene rolled 9 usimg 2d6.  Channel x3.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:46, Sun 31 July 2016.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 1946 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Tue 2 Aug 2016
at 05:53
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
Celene heals most of the party's damage.

Actually, I just remembered that Alohan has fire resistance 2, so should have taken 2 hp less damage in that combat. Damage is now as follows:

Alohan 3, Angati 2, & Kassius 4. Good enough?


HIT POINTS & MISFORTUNE
Alohan  HP: 42/45 <MF USED>
Angati  HP: 44/46 <MF NOT USED>
Urol    HP: 38/38 <MF NOT USED>
Celene  HP: 25/25 <MF NOT USED>
Kassius HP: 29/33 <MF NOT USED>
Kibeti  HP: 36/36 <MF NOT USED>
Cpt. Harliss Javell <MF NOT USED>


Anybody want to question the prisoner(s)? Time to move on?

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:54, Tue 02 Aug 2016.

Alohan Nuari
 player, 469 posts
 Barbarian 3 / Monk 2
Tue 2 Aug 2016
at 14:34
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
"Dank ya Celene" he muttered, scratching the freshly closed burn marks on his abdomen. His head still continuing to throb as if he had one too many Shadowshore grogs and all Alohan really wanted was a nap. He stood amongst his companions, a bit worse for wear but unphased by what had transpired. Everyone was alive -save for the foolish stiltwalkers lying dead in the square.

Now they had a moment to catch their breath, Alohan unslung the taiaha from his abdomen and pressed the blunt end firmly onto the small of Dimaonback's back. He pushed down on her spine, giving it as much force as he could without feeling too guilty. He left the weapon there for a long moment, using the  time to funnel his aggression. Before he knew it the water pelting his skin turned to steam, thin wisps of vabor dispersing into the night's air.

"Who sent you?" he asked in an anger filled tone.
10:30, Today: Alohan Nuari rolled 15 using 1d20+8 ((7)) Volcanic Child intimidate

This message was last edited by the player at 14:34, Tue 02 Aug 2016.

Diamondback
 NPC, 11 posts
Wed 3 Aug 2016
at 10:49
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
OOC: Sorry Ron, but DC18 so you are a few points short.

The Alphatian street performer laughs. "Nice trick with the steam and all, maybe I should bring you on to my crew since I seem to need a few replacements, but you're not fooling anyone. Whatever you will do to me will be far less than what my employer would do if I gave you any information. So let's just sit here and wait for the authorities, shall we?"
Harliss Javell
 NPC, 13 posts
Wed 3 Aug 2016
at 10:50
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
Harliss Javell joins the conversation, nonchalantly strolling up behind bound prisoner. She has pulled a big, wide-brimmed, black pirate captain's hat out of her backpack and placed it on her head for some cover from the rain.

"This broad given ya some problems, bucko?" asks the pirate in a low voice. "She's right though, yer should all go on ahead, I'll hang back a bit and make sure that this trash gets handed over to the authorities then catch yer up. Shouldn't take too long to catch her up."

The crimson fleet mistress suddenly convulses and almost collapses into the street. "Worship the all mighty savage prince! Worship him! Sacrifice to him! TEAR FLESH FOR HIM!" Harliss screams at the top of her voice and the irises of her eyes cloud over until they are totally black. Her canine teeth start to grow and darken and then... She seems to regain control and these things slowly fade back to normal.

12:34, Today: Dungeon Master rolled 29 using 1d20+17.  Harliss intimidate.
Diamondback
 NPC, 12 posts
Wed 3 Aug 2016
at 10:50
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
"Oh good god! What is wrong with you people?! It was just business, I swear it!" blurts Diamondback as she starts to strain against her bonds again.

"Look, I was hired by a noble woman. Apparently your steaming pretty boy here slept with the wrong daughter of nobility and it is payback time. But I can't tell you who, she will kill me!"

Obviously the party don't really need the information since Alohan hasn't slept with THAT many noblemen's daughters, at least, not yet, but the pirate captain snarls.

"Okay, okay! It was Helldrath Kellani," the acrobat says, giving the name of the Lotus Lady's mother. "Now let me and what remains of my crew go. We need to get out of town right now!"

OOC: BTW, Angati looses another TWO points of intelligence as the disease also builds in her.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 1949 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Thu 4 Aug 2016
at 05:23
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
OOC: Feel free to jump in. It doesn't need to be Alohan who responds! Or we can move on to the next scene...
Alohan Nuari
 player, 470 posts
 Barbarian 3 / Monk 2
Thu 4 Aug 2016
at 23:57
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
Alohan frowned and glanced at his companions apologetically. It would seem that his actions have once again put his friends in danger. Helldrath Kellani was a very powerful enemy to have, one very few people would have the nerve to cross. Ironic as it was that Alohan and his friends were equally dangerous. They easily trounced Diamondback and her stiltwalkers -Helldrath would need to try a bit harder to successfully stop him and his friends. Still, the idea that they would proceed with a target on their backs wasn't something Alohan was particularly used to. While his people weren't the most honorable, using subterfuge and sneak attacking your enemies was a bit of an anomaly. Alohan prefered to attack his problems head on. He would need to seek out Helldrath and potential solve this feud -with or without the aide of his companions.

But something more pressing first.

He looked curiously at Harliss, waiting patiently for whatever bout of crazy had consumed her to pass."Dank ya. Get dis.. assassin to de audorities. We be going ahead to help Lavinia." He nodded to his companions, hoping they were in agreement. Before leaving, he turned back to Harliss. "Ya be more den helpful Harliss and I be hopin to see you again when all dis be ova." He gave her a smile and turned to head toward the Vanderboren Manor.
Harliss Javell
 NPC, 14 posts
Fri 5 Aug 2016
at 06:54
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
Harliss unsheathes her sword. “Sure, no problems. Yer go on ahead, I be catching yer up. I know my way around old Sasserine enough to get to the merchant’s district.”

This message was last edited by the player at 06:56, Fri 05 Aug 2016.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 1950 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Fri 5 Aug 2016
at 06:55
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
The party heads onwards over the wet, slippery cobblestones of Sasserine. The rain continues to pelt down through the dark night, driving all but the most robust reveller off the streets and clearing a path for them, so they begin to make good time. Harliss also catches them up with surprising speed – only a couple of minutes pass before she jogs up behind the party who are limited to the speed that Urol’s little legs set.
Harliss Javell
 NPC, 15 posts
Fri 5 Aug 2016
at 06:55
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
“Okay bucko. All taken care of. Are we gunna join this party at the Vanderboren mansion or what?”
Dungeon Master
 GM, 1951 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Fri 5 Aug 2016
at 06:55
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
About 30 minutes later Urol is close to collapse, his abused respiratory system wheezing and complaining at the unexpected exercise, but they have reached the outer wall of Lavinia’s mansion grounds. The rain water streams over the black wrought iron gate that for once is actually closed and locked – maybe the Jade Ravens have made a few improvements in the security since the young noble woman took them back into her employment after all. But the crude lock is child’s play for Urol to force open, despite the downpour making everything slippery.

Through the gate there is about 60’ of slightly overgrown garden between them and the house, with the garden thick with tropical trees and shrubs and offering good opportunity for the party to make an unseen approach. It is still about an hour before dawn, about five o’clock they estimate, so with the heavy clouds in the sky there is no natural light and only the flickering torch light in the mansion lights up the garden. It seems that every room in the house has a light on, and combined with there being no signs of trouble it makes the house look cosy and inviting – but Harliss laughs off any suggestion that her first mate, Drevoraz Kabran, hasn’t arrived or was unsuccessful in his assault on the house.
Harliss Javell
 NPC, 16 posts
Fri 5 Aug 2016
at 06:55
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
“That half-orc of mine spend his youth in the streets of Thyatis City working as a burglar and he ain’t one to forget a trick once he’s learnt it, yer understand? He’ll be in there all right, along with those Bullywug cretins. And yeh basic bug eater won’t take no orders from me! If I can talk to their chief or high priest I might be able to explain the situation, but otherwise we need to find Drevoraz so I can rescind my order.”

OOC: What's the plan of attack? I'll post a map of what you know of the manor house tonight, but you only know of two doors: the front door and a side door that leads to the servant's quarters.
Urol Forol
 PC, 28 posts
 34/38 HP
Fri 5 Aug 2016
at 14:37
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
Urol peers into the lush garden, unable to make out many details of the house.  "Well," the gnome begins, but stops to hack and catch his breath, absently patting his loco-weed pouch before continuing, "I don't know much about this house, but we should probably come in a way they aren't expecting, right?  I mean, they'd expect someone to come in the front door, so we probably shouldn't go that way."
Celene
 player, 954 posts
 Sorcerer 4 / Cleric 1
Fri 5 Aug 2016
at 15:03
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
Celene was ringing out her skirts when Urol offered his opinion ”I don’t think we can assume anything at this point. This wasn’t a robbery it was a raid. If they haven’t arrived, then we would be welcomed. If they have arrived, I would assume their group is searching the manor looking for Lavinia and battling the Jade Ravens room by room.” she mused.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 1953 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Fri 5 Aug 2016
at 19:40
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!

Map showing what the party knows about the Vanderboren mansion and the surrounding grounds. They have unfortunately on ever been into a couple of the room on the ground floor.
Celene
 player, 955 posts
 Sorcerer 4 / Cleric 1
Fri 5 Aug 2016
at 19:49
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
"I'm betting they entered through the water. If we can manage it we may be able to catch them from behind. Not expecting anyone to use the same egress." Celene added.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 1956 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Fri 5 Aug 2016
at 20:11
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
OOC: That's good enough for me!

The party creep around the side of the house, being careful to move from tree to tree and stay out of line of sight of the house as much as possible. Despite most of the party not having much expertise in sneaking, they are greatly helped by the night being pitch black and the driving rain reducing visibility even more and masking any noise they make. Kassius also points out that Bullywugs have neither dark vision nor low light vision, so they figure that their approach is made unnoticed.

The reach the northern wall of the mansion where the small creek of water gurgles out through a hole in the wall to cross a small gap to the outer water of the garden and disappear into the canal beyond. The party find that the metal bars that let the stream flow past but otherwise block access through both the outer wall and into the cellar of the house have both been removed - they are rusted through and only a few jagged shards of the once thick bars remain. There are also great swaths of mud staining the sides of the river bank that are being slowly washed away by the rain. A large number of 'things' have came in by this route recently.

As they party form themselves up by the hole and ready their weapons for the assault, noises reach their ears from inside the cellar. The screams of a terrified woman and a strange chittering sound. Kassius (who has low light vision) peers inside but the cellar curves away to the west and he can't get a good enough angle to get line of sight to whatever is making the noise. There is also flickering torchlight coming from the west.

The way in is large enough to fit one of you at a time, three of you could go through each round if you really push in through the outgoing water.

OOC: Please post preparations (if any) and character order for the assault.
Kassius
 player, 439 posts
 Hunter 4
Fri 5 Aug 2016
at 22:47
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
"Swimming. Why is it always swimming?" Kassius mutters darkly. He shares a glance with Kibeti who responds by glancing away. "I'm not going there!" the look seems to say.

Still there was little time to waste. Kassius pauses, concentrating on his magic to enhance his body. First his skin grows tough and leathery, and his hands and feet become webbed to aid in swimming. Finally, he makes his bow glow with suppressed energy.

He looks over at Kibeti, who is still adamantly refusing to enter. Concentrating on their bond, Kibeti seems to ... shrink. Within a few seconds, Kibeti is replaced by a small cat statue, no bigger than Kassius' fist. Kassius carefully places the statue in his pocket, and then heads towards the stream. "Let's go."


Cast: Barkskin on self, then Gravity Bow. Then cast Carry Companion on Kibeti. Finally, activate Animal Focus (Frog) on self to grant +4 to swim checks.

Kassius

HP: 29/33  AC 19(21), Saves+6/+9/+4
Spells Slots: 1st: 3/4; 2nd: 0/2;  Animal Focus Minutes Left: 3/4, Door Sight 6/6
Current Buffs: Gravity Bow, Barkskin, Animal Focus: Frog

Kibeti
Currently a statue.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 1957 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Sun 7 Aug 2016
at 18:41
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
OOC: I'll post a little bit more so that you have something to chew on. Please feel free to inform me in the first combat round about what preparations you made.

See you in thread 2D!

Alohan Nuari
 player, 471 posts
 Barbarian 3 / Monk 2
Mon 8 Aug 2016
at 21:35
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
The Sasserine downpour had all but washed the grease from his skin and he was becoming shockingly aware of just how 'naked' he was. He reminisced on the magic protection energies granted by his friends beginning to understand how fundamental it was becoming -especially after Diamondback had her way with him. The wound on his back continued to itch from magical healing, a constant reminder of how open he was.

Still, he had a contingency and Alohan figured now would be the perfect time to use it. He reached to his hip, grabbing one of the many corked gourds that dangled. He found the one he looked for and drank it swiftly. His skin hardened almost immediately. And odd feeling but something he could get used to.

Alohan smirked at Kassius- "Swimmin & fightin'" he added. The islander was set, about to traverse the hole only to stare in awe as Kibeti was reduced to a statuette. He wanted to see the statue but figured now wouldn't be the time.

Maybe if they survived.
Drinking my Barkskin potion
Dungeon Master
 GM, 1960 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Tue 9 Aug 2016
at 18:22
Re: 2C - TBG - Carnevale!
Opps, check the other thread.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:25, Tue 09 Aug 2016.