2D - TBG - Part Four: Frogs in the House.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: archive 0
Liamae Teslikaria
 NPC, 7 posts
 Jade
 Raven
Mon 10 Oct 2016
at 19:00
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
Liamae cries helplessly over the two comatose forms of Tolkien and Zan. The two
Jade Ravens have numerous cuts and bruises and show no signs of awakening to her frantic shaking of shoulders and occasional
face slapping.

"Please, help them!" she pleads.

OOC: Quick! NPC's need healing!
Celene
 player, 1004 posts
 Sorcerer 4 / Cleric 1
Mon 10 Oct 2016
at 19:35
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
Celene prays to Wee Jas with the last of her positive energy trying to awaken to Jade Ravens.

14:34, Today: Celene rolled 4 using 1d6.  Channel Energy.

Is 4 enough to wake them?"

Alohan Nuari
 player, 505 posts
 Barbarian 3 / Monk 2
Mon 10 Oct 2016
at 23:02
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
Alohan squeezed and continued to squeeze even after Lavinia asked him to stop. Despite her female charms and his potential feelings for his patron, his pele burned forth through any common sense. Well, there was a reason he continued to squeeze but it wasn't readily apparent -a definitely not by Lavinia. He continued to use his leverage to twist, pull and pop, eventually ending the bullywug's life.


Death: I do not listen and continue to squeeze and potentially snap the creature's neck. Something to do with the savage tide stuff, I don't trust him potentially spreading the disease or curse or whatever it is.

Lavinia Vanderboren
 NPC, 41 posts
Tue 11 Oct 2016
at 07:10
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
As it becomes clear that Alohan has heard, but that he is not going to stop, Lavinia slowly pulls her hand back from his shoulder. Then her hand goes to her mouth. "Oh my..." she whispers.

The crack of Bua Gorg's neck reverberates around the room.

OOC: G'damn it Ron. I was going to have Bua Gorg escape from prison and return as a reoccurring villain. Now he will never be able to summon that army of little demons I had planned.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:11, Tue 11 Oct 2016.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 2091 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Tue 11 Oct 2016
at 07:13
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
Celene:
Celene prays to Wee Jas with the last of her positive energy trying to awaken to Jade Ravens.
14:34, Today: Celene rolled 4 using 1d6.  Channel Energy.
Is 4 enough to wake them?"


Both Tollin Kientai, ranger, and Zan Oldavin, rogue, are groggily brought back to reality by Celene's healing powers.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:14, Tue 11 Oct 2016.

Zan Oldavin
 NPC, 13 posts
 Jade
 Raven
Tue 11 Oct 2016
at 07:14
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
"Did we win?" croaks Zan.
Liamae Teslikaria
 NPC, 8 posts
 Jade
 Raven
Tue 11 Oct 2016
at 07:14
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
"We did okay," laughs Liamae. "We needed a little help in the end."

Tollin rolls over and is promptly sick all over the floor.
Lavinia Vanderboren
 NPC, 42 posts
Tue 11 Oct 2016
at 07:37
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
Kaskus, who is the most healed of the Jade Ravens, is sent out to summon the district watch while the rest of the occupants set about helping Zan and Tollin in their recovery.

There is nothing to be done about Kora. The old halfling is as dead as a doorpost and Lavinia can do nothing more than cradle her trusted servant and oldest friend in her arms. "Oh Kora. <sob> I failed you. I am so sorry. They just walked in here and there was nothing I could do. Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness."

The noble lady stiffens and her face hardens. "No! No more 'my goodness'. No more folding paper napkins. No more sitting here and waiting for fate to take us. I swear I will be master of my own fate from now on."

Lavinia's face shows some resolution on it, but it is still streaked by tears. The young noblewoman has many questions.

OOC: Each PC should answer at least one of these.

"How did you know I was in trouble?"

"Did you find Vanthus?"

"What happened at Kraken's Cove?"

"Where is Logan?"
[DM: He is current in a sack in the hold of the Blue Nixie. Or at least as much of him as could be scooped up is.]

"Who is the pirate lady?"

"Who is the gnome? Why is he holding my father's favorite crossbow?

"Do you know why these bullywugs and that... half-orc did this to us? Why were they after Vanthus?"

"Did you get all of the bullywugs? Do you think they might come back?"

"How did you find Liamae and Kaskus?"


Jade Ravens saved:    4/4
Lavinia still alive:  Yes


OOC: Okay, I guess I have to admit that was a pretty successful performance. Logan gets raised for free.
Lavinia Vanderboren
 NPC, 43 posts
Tue 11 Oct 2016
at 08:14
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
OOC: Oh, and the big question.

"Alohan, why did you kill him when I told you not to?"
Angati
 PC, 664 posts
 Oracle 4
Tue 11 Oct 2016
at 11:08
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
Angati tries to make the best she can out of Kora's corpse, closing her eyelids, throwing down the corpse of the frog mage with a grunt, putting a white sheet on top of the bed, then Kora, and finally another sheet covering the halfling all the way to her chin.

By the time she had finished, she noticed the tears on her cheek. Looking to the right, in the corner, was Anansi, squeezing a small puppet doll and crying without saying anything. She moved to her to console her sister with soft hushes. "She was very nice, wasn't she ?...  you liked her a lot... I know this isn't fair... maybe you will see her... and can ask for one of those paper things little sister".

Once she was sure that Anansi was more herself, she came back to the rest, and towards Lavinia. "We are paying dearly your brother's treason... Logan is dead, we need to take him to the temple as soon as they will be open... and Harliss and I need to go too, to get cured of the disease that took over that guy there...". She said signalling the green pool of acid and the carcass next to it.

"Your brother... he has betrayed not only you, but many people... he has killed several ships worth of smugglers, and turned many of them into the monsters you have seen there... Harliss here, the captain of one of the boats, had almost all her people killed,... when she learned of the treason, thinking that your brother would be here, she decided to attack the manor... only when she learned from us what was really happening, and that you were a victim of your brother, it was already too late to stop the attack, and she offered to help us stop this... that's how we got here. If it were not for her... I am afraid, you all would also be dead", she said making a wide gesture to all present.
Alohan Nuari
 player, 506 posts
 Barbarian 3 / Monk 2
Tue 11 Oct 2016
at 13:32
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
Alohan felt the concussive snap and heard the audible pop in the bullywug's back. He squeezed for a few more precious seconds -just in case- but the fight had gone out in the bullywug. It was done. Victory was theirs.

He exhaled and released his pele, subsequently releasing his vice grip on the bullywug and collapsing back against the four poster bed. He didn't bother to move in these moments, the dead frogmen still sprawled over him, only inhaling labored breaths as his muscles screamed from exertion. Adrenaline was replaced by fatigue and it was all he could do to keep upright.

As Angati approached with Kora, Alohan scrambled out the way and propped up against the wall. He watched his elder -growing impossibly younger- companion as a distraction.. a focus. He knew she was odd in her own way but seeing her now almost made him think there was something more to her madness. Perhaps she really did see something that wasn't there. Regardless, Alohan only watched imagining it was him she was consoling -especially after a night of killing or be killed.

"Angati's right," Alohan began, rising to his feet and crossing the room. "But not be speakin' de most of it. Vandus be getting a black pearl de size of a man's fist. Why? Well we be dinkin' he had a buyer here in de city. Now, I not be knowin' if dat be all he be wantin'... money, but dis black pearl be holdin' some curse. Some madness. Now Vandus be dropping dis pearl, breakin' it- releasing dis curse. A gas. A mist. Now some of us be speaking crazy talk, not in our right minds." Alohan glanced at Angati but kept his eyes on Harliss.

"Why I be killin' dis bullywug. Well. Before battle be had I be hearing him... 'Serve him. Serve the Prince of Savage Tides' ...And I be knowin' someding like dis not remain on dis plane. He be more trouble to us alive."

Alohan turned back to the dead Boa Gorg. "I not be knowin' what we be doing next. Dis Prince be alive and his numbers be growin but I not be knowin' how to stop it."
Urol Forol
 PC, 56 posts
 38/38 HP
Tue 11 Oct 2016
at 20:14
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
Urol moved uncomfortably from foot to foot, unsure of what to say.  Finally the little gnome moved forward, brushing specks of unidentifiable things from his beard and offered his hand to Lavinia.

"I've been hearing about you from these ones here.  I was just trying to get away from what your frackin' brother let loose on the island, but I don't think you've got anything left to fear from the bullywogs.  What with us killing most of them and their chieftan's neck being snapped, I don't think they'll be coming back."
Dungeon Master
 GM, 2092 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Thu 13 Oct 2016
at 06:25
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
OOC: Are you guys waiting for me? Because I am waiting for you! I thought a few more questions might be coming through. Oh well, expositional autopilot mode engaged.

Lavinia expresses great dismay upon learning that her brother is the root of all the trouble.

"My brother is truly beyond redemption then," she says, her head downcast. "He was trying to steal a 'black pearl' you say?"

Harliss speaks up. "Ma'am, I don't think he knew what it really was since he was just as surprised as the rest of us when it 'went off'. I think his intention was just to rob us pirates, and the pearl, being about the size of a man's fist, was the most valuable thing in sight. But he got a bit more than he bargained for," she scows. "As did the rest of us."

"What is this... 'black pearl'? What were you doing with something so dangerous?"

Harliss shrugs. "It was given to us in Scuttlecove," she says, naming the 'capital' of the pirate isles of Ierendi, far to the north. "I was ordered to transport it to Kraken's Cove and that it would be picked up by a representative of one of the noble houses of Sasserine." Seeing everyone looking at her, she goes on.

"I didn't have a name. I was just told that they would be from the House of Porphyry," she shrugs. "Surely that is enough to identify whoever it was that wanted to get their hands on this."

Lavinia shakes her head. "There is no 'House of Porphyry' in Sasserine. Are you sure you have the name right?"

Harliss lowers her tone. "Little missy, I be good at meh job. The name was 'Porphyry'. And the captain of yeh own vessel reports that he did see a ship approach Kraken's Cove. A dhow with purple sails. So someone was intending to pick it up."

"Hmm. It is a lead, but not much of one..." says Lavinia, shaking her head. "I wonder how many dhows there are in Sasserine. One hundred maybe?"
Dungeon Master
 GM, 2093 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Thu 13 Oct 2016
at 06:41
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
OOC: Time for a bit of book keeping while you process all that. Here is the treasure that was collected during the adventure. A few items have already been claimed, please tell me if you want any other item for your character and REMEMBER TO WRITE IT ON YOUR SHEET!

Otherwise the remaining items will be sold and the total divided among the players. Harliss looks at the feeble collection of treasure and waves her hands at it, saying she can't be bothered with such trifles. Urol rubs his hands together though. He considers himself a full party member and wants his share.

Lavinia immediately announces that she is going to pay each party member, and the Jade Ravens a 1,000 gp bonus. Additionally, she increases your monthly stipend from 100 gp/month to 200 gp/month. You can now all live 'extravagant' lifestyles as per the DM's guide.

Well, except for Logan who merely uses the money to rent a ground floor room for his mother at the institution and then continues to live in Angati's basement.

PARTY TREASURE
Pouch of Saffron                                                600 gp
Fine Dishware                                                   200 gp
Water damaged silks (set of 8)                                  400 gp
Collection of water damaged books                               200 gp
Nautical Charts (+4 on navigation checks)

Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds  -> Logan
Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds  -> Angati
Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds  -> Alohan

Studded leather armour +1  -> Kassius                           512 gp
Masterwork rapier                                               160 gp
Brissa's cloak with cheap clasp                                  20 gp
Silver locket with Vanthus' picture in it                        10 gp

Sack of coins in chest one                                     1000 gp
Semi precious stones in chest two                               500 gp
Fine weapons in chest three                                    1500 gp
A ring of swimming                                             1250 gp
Fine dresses                                                    500 gp
Fine perfumes                                                  1000 gp
Perfume from Ylaruam: 6 doses each giving +10 competence bonus on diplomacy checks for one hour

greatclub +1                                                   1000 gp
potion of shield of faith +2 -> Alohan
potion of cure moderate wounds
salve of slipperiness
bullywug sized hide armour +1                                  1000 gp

2 x hand axe +1                                                2000 gp
wooden crown with 7 moonstones in it                           5000 gp

scimitar +1                                                    1000 gp
msw studded leather armour                                      300 gp
belt of orge power (as gauntlets of orge power)

wand of cure light wounds (8 charges)
potion of sanctuary

Reward from Lavnia (5 x 1,000 gp)                              5000 gp

TOTAL                                                         23152 gp
Share per character (5 shares)                                 4630 gp


NB: The share per player will go down if some of the valued magical items are claimed rather than sold. Also, with your permission, I want to subtract the value of a new wand of cure light wounds (750 gp) or even a wand of cure moderate wounds (4,500 gp) from the total so that the party shares the cost of this essential magic item.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 2095 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Thu 13 Oct 2016
at 18:34
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
Updated with details from OOC thread.

PARTY TREASURE
Pouch of Saffron                                                600 gp
Fine Dishware                                                   200 gp
Water damaged silks (set of 8)                                  400 gp
Collection of water damaged books                               200 gp
Nautical Charts (+4 on navigation checks) -> Urol

Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds  -> Logan
Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds  -> Angati
Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds  -> Alohan

Studded leather armour +1  -> Kassius                           512 gp
Masterwork rapier                                               160 gp
Brissa's cloak with cheap clasp                                  20 gp
Silver locket with Vanthus' picture in it                        10 gp

Sack of coins in chest one                                     1000 gp
Semi precious stones in chest two                               500 gp
Fine weapons in chest three                                    1500 gp
A ring of swimming                                             1250 gp
Fine dresses                                                    500 gp
Fine perfumes                                                  1000 gp
Perfume from Ylaruam: 6 doses each giving +10 competence bonus on diplomacy checks for one hour -> Angati

greatclub +1                                                   1000 gp
potion of shield of faith +2 -> Alohan
potion of cure moderate wounds
salve of slipperiness
bullywug sized hide armour +1                                  1000 gp

2 x hand axe +1                                                2000 gp
wooden crown with 7 moonstones in it                           5000 gp

scimitar +1                                                    1000 gp
msw studded leather armour                                      300 gp
belt of orge power (as gauntlets of orge power)

wand of cure light wounds (8 charges) -> Angati
potion of sanctuary

Reward from Lavnia (5 x 1,000 gp)                              5000 gp

TOTAL                                                         23152 gp
Subtract 1 x wand of CLW                                       -750 gp
GRAND TOTAL                                                   22402 gp

Share per character (5 shares)                                 4480 gp

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:41, Thu 13 Oct 2016.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 2096 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Thu 13 Oct 2016
at 18:40
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
OOC: Some final wrapping up, but please feel free to continue asking questions and planning with Lavinia.

Kaskus brings the district watch and they set about securing the area. Everyone is impressed by the number of bullywugs that the party has slain... with assistance from the Jade Ravens.

Lavinia makes sure that Angati and Harliss are immediately cured of the 'Savage Fever' at her own expense. She promises to get the temple of Wee Jas to raise Logan from the death the next day and insists on even trying to raise the elderly Kora.

After the healing, Harliss suggests to the party, and in particular 'bucko', that they should head into some of the more rowdy bars in town to have a few drinks in remembrance of Drevoraz, her other fallen crewmembers, and just to 'frakken forget' about all the craziness of the last 24 hours.

OOC: Who is up for that?
Kassius
 player, 471 posts
 Hunter 4
Thu 13 Oct 2016
at 22:11
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
Dungeon Master:
After the healing, Harliss suggests to the party, and in particular 'bucko', that they should head into some of the more rowdy bars in town to have a few drinks in remembrance of Drevoraz, her other fallen crewmembers, and just to 'frakken forget' about all the craziness of the last 24 hours.

OOC: Who is up for that?


Kassius' first instinct is to say no. He's always been rather shy, and it always seemed easier to just avoid complications. He has a sudden flash of memory, of the swaggering self-confidence of Macutotnal, gliding through life, charming and sure of himself. Life had been so absolutely insane recently, and he had done so many crazy things. Fighting, and killing, making up with his grandfather, starting his own business!

"You know Harliss, I think I just might take you up on that."
Kassius announces decisively.
Angati
 PC, 667 posts
 Oracle 4
Fri 14 Oct 2016
at 11:11
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
"I am definitely up for that" said Angati surprising even herself.
Urol Forol
 PC, 57 posts
 38/38 HP
Fri 14 Oct 2016
at 15:06
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
Urol looks up from the collection of loot gathered before them, still mentally calculating how much loco weed he could buy.  "Did someone say drinks?"
Celene
 player, 1009 posts
 Sorcerer 4 / Cleric 1
Sat 15 Oct 2016
at 02:08
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
Celene was lost in thought and hadn't heard the mention of drinking "Isn't porphyry some kind of rock?" she asked absentmindedly. "Could it be some kind of code to disguise someones true name?" She thought some more "Feldspar-Ash! Do they own a Dhow? Does it have purple sails?" Celene was sure she was on to something.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:09, Sat 15 Oct 2016.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 2101 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Sat 15 Oct 2016
at 07:21
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
Urol Forol, gnome adventurer, alchemist and naturalist, says adieu and thanks them all again for allowing him to join them in the escape from Kraken's Cove and for effectively rescuing him. Then, after giving them all a round of hugs, including an uncomfortably long and tight hug of Celene, the gnome heads off into the night - although he tells Lavinia that he will be back in the next day or so to talk to her about something.

Then the whole party (including Alohan who hasn't actually said he will go but who failed a secret will save) head out to paint the town red... and to forget about painting Lavinia's house green. In addition to the distict watch setting up a protective ring around their employer, the Jade Ravens are now also fully healed and on guard so security won't be an issue giving the party a couple of guilt free hours off.

Legends will be told of the epic drinking session that ensues. Of the time that Kassius challenged the patron's of the Mermaid's Secret to an impromptu handball match and how he got really pissy when he lost. Of Celene then 'accidentally' setting the place on fire. Of the frantic half hour when they realise that they left the sack with Logan's dismembered corpse in the last tavern and had to run back and find it. The fact that it is the first night of carnival encourages the party to celebrate even more.

Alohan ends the night in his hovel, wrapped up in a tussle with the sultry Captain Harliss Javell where he finds that there is still a little more he can learn about 'grappling' and 'pinning'.

He wakes the next morning with the sun streaming into his little room and with a smile on his face. Harliss is gone, but there is a note on the pillow.
Harliss Javell
 NPC, 22 posts
Sat 15 Oct 2016
at 07:21
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
"Goodmorning Bucko!
I'm not much one for goodbyes so I be leaving yeh this note. I don't think yeh be minding that awfully.
I be going to go find out what that black pearl be doing on meh ship. Sure, Vanthus was a swine, a thief and a cur, but why did the Crimson Fleet high council tell me to bring that pearl to Kraken's Cove in the first place? Why would the pirate kings want to get the pearl into Sasserine? Sure, we pirates ain't no angels, but there be no profit in turning a whole city into those mad beasts. People need to be in their right minds to put things on ships so we can rob them after all!

So I be going to Ierendi, the pirate Isles, to find out what be going on. I took a little of your money so pay for passage northward. I know you won't mind bucko.

Looking forward to seeing you again, H.J."


Alohan's smile disappears when he realises how much 'a little' of his money is. She has taken all of it.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:21, Sat 15 Oct 2016.

Lavinia Vanderboren
 NPC, 44 posts
Sat 15 Oct 2016
at 07:28
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
Celene:
Celene was lost in thought and hadn't heard the mention of drinking "Isn't porphyry some kind of rock?" she asked absentmindedly. "Could it be some kind of code to disguise someones true name?" She thought some more "Feldspar-Ash! Do they own a Dhow? Does it have purple sails?" Celene was sure she was on to something.


"It is a hard, purple rock sometimes used for making statues. There isn't much in town though - there isn't any source of it locally so all of it needs to be imported by ship and it is very expensive."

"Feldspar-Ash? Like Karthach Feldspar-Ash, the head of the shrine of love and beauty?"
She muses. "Feldspar is a type of rock but it is just boring grey rock. And there is no 'they' with Karthach. He is not from a noble family and doesn't have any notable relatives. I doubt he owns a ship, although the harbourmaster could check that out for you in the register."
Alohan Nuari
 player, 510 posts
 Barbarian 3 / Monk 2
Sat 15 Oct 2016
at 17:04
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
Alohan tossed the deflated coin purse aside, the smile returning to his face at the irony of it all. As far as female acquaintances go, Harliss was near the top -where she loved to be- and he knew he'd be missing her on her journey. Her skill with a blade made her as deadly as she had been beautiful and Alohan silently hoped this one wouldn't come back trying to kill him. If she did, Alohan wasn't sure he'd survive the encounter. Alas, she was a valuable ally and an even finer companion.

To begin his day, Alohan goes about his particular routine of meditation, stretches, and -if available- a nice swim in the harbor. He is sure to wash himself with course sand and fresh water, rubbing himself clean with citrus. He adorns a fresh loin cloth, grabs his hemp lined with potion containing coconuts, and snatches up his taiaha before departing to find his friends.

"Harliss be going to de pirate isles. She be findin' more about were dis pearl be coming from," he announces upon joining them. "What we be doin? Anyone be havin' ideas?"
Logan: I admit I havent been reading Logan's thread (like, at all) so i'll be getting caught up in that plot line this weekend.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 2129 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Sat 22 Oct 2016
at 08:34
Re: 2D - TBG - Frogs in the House
OOC: A final bit of wrapping up.

The day after the bullywug invasion, Lavinia and the party (with their hangovers) head to the temple of Wee Jas and Logan is raised from the dead. Lavinia pays the price without hesitation or complaint.

The young noblewoman even insists on trying to raise Kora Whistlegap from the dead despite the clerics saying it is a waste of time. An indeed, despite a 5,000 gp diamond being crushed on her chest and the clerics casting the right spell, the old halfling woman's soul refuses to return to her body. Lavinia lies over the corpse and fills the room with her sobs.

The corpses of the bullywugs are disposed of. Bua Gorg's corpse ends up in the hands of Nemien Roblach, the town taxidermist. He stuffs the skin and makes it into an impressive display - unfortunately the remains are stolen from his showroom a couple of months later.

OOC: Ha! So at least I can bring him back as a lich if I want to. Take that Ron!!

Lavinia is true to her oath to learn to defend herself and become more in control of her fate in this world. She asks Logan to train her in two weapon fighting and practices hard, starting down the road to becoming a skilful swordswoman.