Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Emerald
 PC, 194 posts
Tue 2 May 2017
at 03:13
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
Emerald gets back to her feet and carefully aims before firing an arrow at the thing! "Tentacle. At least it's not a dragon?" she says with uncertainty in her voice. Giant tentacled monsters have been known to be equally dangerous to dragons, depending. But she is just hoping this is NOT the case.

23:09, Today: Emerald rolled 22 using 1d20+5.  Ranged attack. ((17))
23:11, Today: Emerald rolled 8 using 1d8.  arrow damage. ((8)) if 22 hits.

Grabthar
 PC, 136 posts
Tue 9 May 2017
at 03:41
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
Grabthar readies to throw a javelin at the first threatening thing he can get a clear shot at.

"Best if we return to shore, everyone.  Less chance of being dragged underwater."

23:39, Today: Grabthar rolled 23 using 1d20+6.  readied attack.
23:39, Today: Grabthar rolled 8 using 1d6+4. damage
Tarsis
 GM, 303 posts
 The Biggest, The Baddest
 ... you get the idea.
Tue 9 May 2017
at 16:26
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
"Nay! GET ON DE'BOAT!! NAOOWWW!!!" Tarsis yelled out as he turned towards the helm casting a spell in fury. As soon as he grabbed the helm, a gust of wind filled the sail. The tentacle reached out for Emerald again, but missed as the boat lurched forward. The eagle dove for the tentacle and snapped at it. However the tentacle was already out of reach when its beak snapped closed. Mortannis started humming to himself as necrotic energy gathered around him. He shoved his hands towards the river and shouted "RAISE UNDEAD: FISH!!!!" The amulet glowed darkly through his pocket as necromantic energy flailed out over the water. 4 long fish skeletons with scraps of flesh surfaced to do his bidding.

ooc: Emerald and Ethiendar, Reflex saves please. Ethiendar at advantage if he chooses to save himself by going airborne. A failure means he doesn't go airborne. Grabthar, the boat is now rushing away from you. If you want to hop on, I suggest running.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:02, Wed 10 May 2017.

Emerald
 PC, 195 posts
Tue 9 May 2017
at 19:18
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
15:17, Today: Emerald rolled 12 using 1d20+5.  Reflex.
Ethiendar
 PC, 208 posts
Wed 10 May 2017
at 06:21
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
Ethiendar opened his wings, and took advantage of the sudden wind to fly up from the boat.

ooc:

reflex save: 21

Grabthar
 PC, 137 posts
Thu 11 May 2017
at 04:46
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
Grabthar questions the sanity of his decision as he runs to leap back onto the boat.

(( 01:22, Today: Grabthar rolled 20 using 1d20.  A leap check. ))

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:44, Fri 12 May 2017.

Narrator
 NPC, 54 posts
Fri 12 May 2017
at 05:51
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
After picking up speed into a full-out run, Grabthar does a flying leap towards the boat from the shore. It looks like he's going to miss, but a tentacle reaches out and manages to fling him the rest of the way. He does a couple back flips in the air before landing perfectly feat first next to Tarsis. Emerald manages to grab the railing of the boat and not flip over the edge. The gust of wind propelling the boat catches Ethiendar's wings and he raises into the air gracefully. Two of the skeleton fish manage to bite onto the tentacle and are visible out of water hanging from the tentacle during Grabthar's flight to the boat.
Ethiendar
 PC, 209 posts
Sat 13 May 2017
at 15:07
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
Ethiendar circles around to get over the boat; gliding rather than flying. When close enough he lands lightly (smoothly transitioning from gliding to walking) and goes to retrieve the bow he dropped earlier.
Emerald
 PC, 196 posts
Sun 14 May 2017
at 18:08
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
Emerald pulls herself aboard and stays on her hands and knees to have a sturdier posture. She looks up to see everyone on board and looks relieved. Then goes from all-fours to a seated position, while keeping ready to cast magic if needed.
Narrator
 NPC, 55 posts
Sat 27 May 2017
at 15:05
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
As the boat sails further up the bend, the tentacle, or whatever's attached to it, doesn't seem to follow them. The skeleton fish continue to hang from the appendage as it tries to fling them off and fails. The eagle lands abruptly on the starboard railing of the vessel, though a little too abruptly and the boat threatens to capsize for a moment. The giant bird re-settles back on the boat after letting it right itself. The Strix contingent flies over and lands on the deck, then prepares a light meal for themselves.
Grabthar
 PC, 142 posts
Sat 27 May 2017
at 21:01
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
Grabthar stares in silence, trying to process what just happened.  Giant tentacle monster attacking?  Sure.  No surprise there considering this place's track record.  Dwarven necromancy?  That's uh...  yeah.  Pretty unheard of.

And then the unhelpful murder of heckler crows, "the Strix contingent," decides to have a meal on the same boat as the two apparent humans.  That's contending for "most unlikely thing to happen" in Grabthar's mind.

"Ahem.  I trust everyone is unharmed?"
Ethiendar
 PC, 213 posts
Sun 28 May 2017
at 07:30
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
Ethiendar again pulls out the hat, reluctantly putting it on.

"I am uninjured. Tell me if my appearance changes."
Narrator
 NPC, 56 posts
Sun 28 May 2017
at 15:45
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
As soon as he puts on the hat, his appearance changes to that of a dark skinned human. His wings become a cloak, however the appearance ripples when he moves his wings making it look false. To himself, he doesn't sense any change.
Emerald
 PC, 199 posts
Mon 29 May 2017
at 01:17
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
Emerald is SO glad she was on all-fours when the boat nearly capsizes. She waits for things to calm, flops onto her butt, and catches her breath. "I'm OK..." she answers Grabthar.

Eth speaks up and Emerald looks over at him. "Yup. It's working. Though be careful about shifting your wings; it causes your appearance to warp."

Emerald gets to fixing a snack for Tarsis, Eth, Grabthar and herself.
Narrator
 NPC, 57 posts
Mon 29 May 2017
at 01:20
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
In the middle of chewing, the Strix kinda just pause and watch what Emerald is doing. They slowly continue chewing after a moment and swallow forcibly. Elder Greken kinda squawks a surprised warning, forgetting to use Common.
Grabthar
 PC, 145 posts
Mon 29 May 2017
at 04:12
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
"Glad to hear you are well, my friends," Grabthar says in his customary aristocratic accent.

When the Strix start squawking, Grabthar readies his weapon, expecting more danger.  He looks in the direction the Strix are facing first.
Ethiendar
 PC, 215 posts
Mon 29 May 2017
at 23:25
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
Ethiendar pulls his wings close to his back; wrapping them around his shoulders as a cloak would do and then held them still.

"Does this look more like it should?"

Ethiendar motions for Grabthar to relax, but doesn't translate the elder's words.
Narrator
 NPC, 58 posts
Mon 29 May 2017
at 23:27
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
The wings all but disappear under the guise.
Emerald
 PC, 200 posts
Thu 1 Jun 2017
at 01:09
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
Emerald smiles to Ethiendar and nods. "Yes." She is grateful she can actually shapeshift into a human form. It is a lot easier than if she had to worry about her tail or ears warping some disguise.

She begins handing out the prepared snacks to Tarsis, Eth, Grabthar and finally herself. Just rations that are heated up through prestidigitation and covered in a little sauce before being turned into a wrap with some flat bread. Nothing major, but much better than having ordinary rations and great for a change of pace. "Thanks for the save, everyone."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:10, Thu 01 June 2017.

Grabthar
 PC, 146 posts
Thu 1 Jun 2017
at 05:16
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
Grabthar takes a while to settle down, but eventually does put away the weapon.  He nods in reply to Eth's question.

"You're welcome, and thank you, Emerald."
Tarsis
 GM, 312 posts
 The Biggest, The Baddest
 ... you get the idea.
Thu 15 Jun 2017
at 03:55
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
As the boat speeds away from the Kraken, a fog settles on the river ahead. Tarsis looks at it warily before speaking softly. "A'ight chaps. Me's thinkin thar brew aint gonna be tastin as good'n those san'wiches. Geh' ready for wha'eh'er in dar." The wind pushing the boat dies down and it slows to a crawl.

This message was last updated by the GM at 03:55, Thu 15 June 2017.

Ethiendar
 PC, 216 posts
Fri 23 Jun 2017
at 16:01
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
Ethiendar flies up in a spiral centered around the boat to get a wider view of the area. He draws his weapons and shifts it into bow form.
Emerald
 PC, 203 posts
Thu 6 Jul 2017
at 19:49
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
Emmy nods to Grabthar with a smile. "You're welcome."

Emerald continues her smile towards Tarsis and replies in a quiet tone, "Thanks. It's just a little thing to make trips go smoother..."

She looks ahead at the fog. "Maybe Eth will be able to tell us how far the fog goes... either way, as you say, we should be ready for anything. Though given our track record, likely another fight.."

Emerald pulls her scimitar out slowly so as to not make the otherwise loud unsheathing sound. She then casts Ghost Sound to somewhere in just within their view but just inside the fog and away from the boat. The sound she causes is of a man making a relaxed sigh as if just drifting on the water unaware of danger.

Emerald watches that area carefully.

15:49, Today: Emerald rolled 17 using 1d20+8.  Spellcraft to cast Ghost Sound.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:52, Thu 06 July 2017.

Grabthar
 PC, 147 posts
Thu 6 Jul 2017
at 19:56
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
Grabthar nods and readies for an ambush all serious-faced.
Narrator
 NPC, 60 posts
Sat 8 Jul 2017
at 15:59
Re: Act 1 - Scene 7 - A Fork in the River
The living plant-barge lumbered slowly along towards the edge of the fog.

>>>to Snakes and ... Ladders?>>>