(IC) Hommlet.   Posted by Dungeonmaster.Group: 0
Dungeonmaster
 GM, 1813 posts
Sun 21 Jun 2020
at 04:36
(IC) Hommlet


The Village of Hommlett—or merely "Hommlett," as it is commonly called—is situated in the central part of the Flanaess, that portion of western Oerik Continent which is known and 'civilized.' The hamlet-sized village (local parlance having distinguished it with the greater term) is located some 10 leagues southeast of the town of Verbobonc, or thereabouts, on the fringe of the territory controlled by the noble Lord the Viscount of Verbobonc. It is at a crossroads.

To the north is the mighty Velverdyva River, along whose south bank runs the Lowroad. Many days' travel to the east, on the shores of the Lake of Unknown Depths (Nyr Dyv), is the great walled city of Dyvers. The village of Sobanwych lies about halfway along the route. Below that to the southeast and east are miles and miles of forest (the Gnarley), beyond which is the Wild Coast- Woolly Bay and the Sea of Gearnat. The road south forks a league or so beyond the little community, one branch meandering off towards the Wild Coast, the other rolling through the lower Kron Hills to the village of Ostverk and then eventually turning southwards again into the elven kingdom of Celene. The western route leads into the very heart of the gnomish highlands, passing through Greenway Valley about a day's travel distant and going onwards to the Lortmil Mountains far beyond.

Hommlet grew from a farm or two, a rest house, and a smithy. The roads brought a sufficient number of travelers and merchant wagons to attract tradesmen and artisans to serve those passing through. The resthouse became a thriving inn, and a wheel and wainwright settled in the thorp. More farmers and herdsmen followed, for grain was needed for the passing animals, and meat was in demand for the innfolk.

Prosperity was great, for the lord of the district was mild and taxed but little. Trade was good, and the land was untroubled by war, outlaws, or ravaging beasts. The area was free, beautiful, and bountiful—too much so, in the eyes of some.

Whether the evil came west from Dyvers (as is claimed by one faction) or crept up out of the forestlands bordering the Wild Coast (as others assert), come it did. At first it was only a few thieves and an odd group of bandits molesting the merchant caravans. Then came small bands of humanoids—kobolds or goblins—raiding the flocks and herds. Local militia and foresters of the Waldgraf of Ostverk apparently checked, but did not stop, the spread of outlawry and evil.

A collection of hovels and their slovenly inhabitants formed the nucleus for the troubles which were to increase. A wicked cleric established a small chapel at this point. The folk of Hommlet tended to ignore this place, Nulb, even though it was but 6 miles distant. But its out-of-the-way position was ideal for the fell purposes planned for this settlement, as was its position on a small river flowing into the Velverdyva. The thickets and marshes around Nulb became the lair and hiding place for bandits, brigands, and all sorts of evil men and monsters alike. The chapel grew into a stone temple as its faithful brought in their ill-gotten tithes. Good folk were robbed, pillaged, enslaved, and worse.

In but three years, a grim and forbidding fortress surrounded the evil place, and swarms of creatures worshipped and worked their wickedness therein. The servants of the Temple of Elemental Evil made Hommlet and the lands for leagues around a mockery of freedom and beauty. Commerce ceased, crops withered; pestilence was abroad.

But the leaders of this cancer were full of hubris and, in their overweening pride, sought to overthrow the good realms to the north, who were coming to the rescue of the land being crushed under the tyranny wrought by the evil temple. A great battle was fought.

When the good people of Hommlet saw streams of ochre-robed men and humanoids fleeing south and west through their community, there was great rejoicing, for they knew that the murderous oppressors had been defeated and driven from the field in panic and rout. So great was the slaughter, so complete the victory of good that the walled stronghold of the Temple of Elemental Evil fell within a fortnight, despite the aid of a terrible demon. The place was ruined and sealed against a further return of such abominations by powerful blessings and magic.

Life in Hommlet quickly returned to a semblance of its former self, before the rise of the temple. For five years afterward, the village and the surrounding countryside have become richer and more prosperous than ever before. A monstrous troll who plagued the place for a time was hunted down by a party of passing adventurers. Carrying the ashes and a goodly fortune as well, the adventurers returned to the village. Before going elsewhere to seek their fortunes, the adventurers also returned a portion of the villagers' losses. Other adventurers, knowing of the evil that had once resided in the area, came to seek out similar caches, and several did find remote lairs and wealth—just as some never returned at all.

After a time, adventurers stopped coming to the area. It seemed that no monsters were left to slay, and no evil existed here to be stamped out. The villagers heaved a collective sigh—some pained at the loss of income, but others relieved by the return to the quiet, normal life—and Hommlet continued its quiet existence for four years more.

But then, a year ago, the bandits began to ride the roads again—not frequently, but to some effect. To the good folk of Hommlet, this seemed all too familiar, so they sent word to the Viscount that wicked forces might still lurk thereabouts. This information has been spread throughout the countryside, and the news has attracted outsiders to the village once again. Who and what these men are, no one can be quite sure. All claim to be bent on slaying monsters and bringing peace and security to Hommlet; but deeds speak more loudly than words, and lies cloak the true purposes of the malevolent.

The party approached the Village of Hommlet, having ridden up from lands of the Wild Coast. You were poorly mounted, badly equipped, and had no large sums of cash. In fact, all you had was what you wore and what you rode, plus the few coins that were hidden in purses and pockets. What you did possess in quantity, though, is daring and desire to become wealthy and famous. Thus your group came to Hommlet to learn. Was this indeed a place for adventurers to seek their fortunes? You all hoped, of course, to gain riches and make names for yourselves. The outcome of this was uncertain, but your skill and daring, along with a good measure of luck, would be the main ingredients of what follows, be it for weal or woe.

The small community at the crossroads was a completely unknown quantity. What was there? Who would be encountered? Where should you go? These were your first explorations and encounters, so chance may dictate as much as intelligence. Would outsiders be shunned? Were the reports true—was the whole community engaged in evil practices? Were the folk here bumpkins, easily duped? Did a curse lay upon those who dared to venture into the lands which were once the Temple's? All of these questions would soon be answered.

The dusty, rutted road was lined with closely-grown hedges of brambles and shrubs. Here and there it cut through a copse or crosses a rivulet. To either hand, forest and meadow had given way to field and orchard. A small herd of kine grazed nearby, and a distant hill was dotted with the wand stone chimneys with thin plumes of blue smoke rising from them. A road angled west into the hill country, and to either side of the road ahead were barns and buildings—Hommlet at last!

The adventure begins...

(OOC Information. Some can find out what is true/false in town or living there!)

Shaari
 Wild Elf Druid, 21 posts
Mon 25 Jan 2021
at 06:01
(IC) Hommlet
Shaari put down her spear and crouched down next to her companion when the village came into view. "Remember, stay close and be dog." She reminded the cooshee in heavily accent common. Amavin licked the side of her face in reply, which seemed to satisfy the druid that all would be well. Absolutely no innkeepers would be bitten this time (hopefully). How the villagers were going to react to a 200 pound 'dog' would be up to them.

She grabbed her spear and stood back up. At a little over five feet tall, Shaari didn't tower over anyone, except perhaps Gromwell. She glared at the village for a few moments, perhaps trying to deny its existence through sheer force of will. When the place stubbornly refused to turn into a meadow, she sighed and looked at the others. "This place. It looks... crowded." she kept her tone neutral.
Darwin Cullins
 Human Wizard, 7 posts
Tue 26 Jan 2021
at 20:08
(IC) Hommlet
Darwin follows Shaari's gaze, looking out over the village ahead. His cloak swirls slightly around him in the wind, as he stands with his hands on his hips, bright eyes taking in the sight before him.

Hommlett reminds him quite a bit of where he grew up--a simple farming village with a single inn, perhaps a church or two. Like all towns, he imagined it had its secrets, though. Secrets worth exploring.

He laughs quietly when Shaari says the place looks crowded. "Well, it's not exactly Greyhawk, though, is it?"
Rollins Strongfoot
 Dwarf Barbarian, 4 posts
Sun 4 Apr 2021
at 15:52
(IC) Hommlet
Lost in his thoughts for a moment, Rollins' eyes focus in on the upcoming signs of civilization.  As with the others he pauses for a moment to take stock of the town.

He brushes off his travelling clothes and stands a bit taller (or as tall as a dwarf can be, still several inches shorter than Shaari).  Buildings mean people, after all, and he's not one to be caught unkempt.  "Crowded, aye," he chuckles.

"Although...it will be nice to be in a bed again," he says half to his companions and half to no one in particular.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:57, Sun 04 Apr.

Selena Blackpaw
 Whisper Gnome Rogue, 228 posts
Mon 5 Apr 2021
at 00:09
(IC) Hommlet
Silently, the rogue seems to just appear out of nowhere. Cloaked, its hard to tell who it is-but this group knows it is a young woman. A gnome of some odd sort. Keeping the cloak up, she pauses and glances around. She's rather short, and for a moment she rubs her belly and decides to head into the small village pausing at times and glancing back at the others. Strange.
Shaari
 Wild Elf Druid, 25 posts
Mon 5 Apr 2021
at 04:45
(IC) Hommlet
"Not like Greyhawk, no," Shaari nodded in agreement with Darwin. How anyone would live in a place like that was beyond her. At least in a small village like this, the people lived close to the land. Hopefully the reeds in the beds here weren't full of fleas like the last inn they stayed at. It took forever for her to find the proper herbs to solve that itchy problem.

She watched their silent gnomeish companion heading for the village proper and shrugged. "Mmmm, she's hungry I think. Amavin is hungry too." She raised a finger to her 'dog', reminding her to behave herself for the time being. With a quick wave to the others, Shaari followed after Selena towards the village.
Rollins Strongfoot
 Dwarf Barbarian, 7 posts
Wed 7 Apr 2021
at 01:59
(IC) Hommlet
Rollins shrugged as Selena starts off and nods at Shaari.  "And I," he says while grasping the reigns of his pack mule.

"Shall we?"

This message was last edited by the player at 01:59, Wed 07 Apr.

Dungeonmaster
 GM, 1885 posts
Fri 9 Apr 2021
at 01:43
(IC) Hommlet
A few minutes pass and the group finds above a open doorway a sign for the inn. It is called 'Inn of the Welcome Wench'. Selena steps inside followed by the others. The inn is a decent size. Several chairs and tables line the room. A bar sits nearbye with a lit fireplace. Sitting at the bar behind it wiping it down is a black haired woman. She has a elf-like ears but shorter, no emotions cross her face as she looks up. Near the fireplace is a male elf, garbed in a ragged clothing but has a patchwork cloak. He taps a flute but doesn't play it and places it on the table with a backpack. He doesn't seem to pay attention to the group. The barkeep grumbles and leans against it staring at the group.
Rollins Strongfoot
 Dwarf Barbarian, 8 posts
Sat 10 Apr 2021
at 01:19
(IC) Hommlet
Rollins hitches his pack mule outside and strolls into the inn with his companions.  He instinctively looks around the room for any danger before relaxing.  He takes a deep breath, trying to catch a whiff of what might be cooking in the kitchen.  Waving a hand towards one of the empty tables, he leads the party to be seated.

"Any specials tonight?" he asks the barmaid from across the room.
Shaari
 Wild Elf Druid, 27 posts
Wed 14 Apr 2021
at 04:35
(IC) Hommlet
Shaari followed Rollins into the inn, with Amavin following closely behind. She took note of the elf and the half blood. She took off her pack and let it fall to the floor next to a chair. She resisted the urge to drive the point of her spear into the floor and opted to just leave it leaning against the table like a normal person (who's carrying a spear). "She looks... unhappy," she noted quietly. The bard didn't look much happier.
Dungeonmaster
 GM, 1889 posts
Thu 15 Apr 2021
at 13:18
(IC) Hommlet
"First off its the middle of the damn day so why are you askin' for dinner? Bloody hell." The woman snaps at the group, staring at the dwarf "We got ale. Not serving any food right now. So unless you want to get drunk, go away." She goes to one of the tables and starts to wipe it down. Wow.

The bard sits down, and grabs his backpack. He rummages through it and stops for a moment before pulling out some paper, ink and pen and starts to write something down.

Selena gives her one heck of a look before walking over the fire and starts to warm her hands up. Her stomach grumbles slightly and the barkeep rolls her eyes.

Pondering, the bard leans into his pack again and pulls out a small loaf of bread and offers it to the gnome and motions for the group to come over to the table "Don't mind her. She's in a mood."

The keep turns and stares at the bard before going from table to table wiping them down before returning to the bar.
Rollins Strongfoot
 Dwarf Barbarian, 11 posts
Sun 18 Apr 2021
at 04:14
(IC) Hommlet
Rollins takes a seat with Shaari before receiving his tongue-lashing from the barkeep.  He responds with a slack-jawed stare, not knowing exactly what to say.

When the bard breaks the silence, he looks over and nods.

"It appears so.  Any specific reason why?" he asks, offering a smile when the bard extends the bread towards his rogue companion.  "And where might we get some more of that?"

At the offer to switch tables, he look as Shaari and asks with a smirk, "Do you think he likes dogs?"
Shaari
 Wild Elf Druid, 29 posts
Tue 20 Apr 2021
at 16:42
(IC) Hommlet
Shaari looked down at Amavin who had laid down as much of her bulk under the table as she could in her best dog impression and shrugged. "Stay there," she said to the furrier her companion.

After standing up, Shaari walked over to the bar."Five ale and clean water in a bowl." After shuffling around her pouches for a couple gold coins, she asked, "Are things not going well today?"  She asked sympathetically, hoping that she had said that correctly. Her common had gotten better after traveling with her companions but she mixed up words still from time to time.
Dungeonmaster
 GM, 1891 posts
Sat 24 Apr 2021
at 23:19
(IC) Hommlet
"Bloody! That dog can't be in here! First the dwarf actin' like he wants dinner without ale and now this?" The keep grumbles under her breath and throws her hands up. She then stares at the druid, eyes like ice "Finally someone orders something. Its about time." She starts to get the ale ready and gets all five of them but not the water "3 silver."

Selena sits down with the dog, using it like a big pillow. She then stares at the keep, but pets the dog. After a moment, she stands up being not nearly as tall as the others and pulls out her waterskin. The rogue pulls out a cup as well and puts it down for the dog.

The bard shrugs when the keep goes back to the bar. He leans forwards "That for me? Thanks. Now a tale I wish to tell. It a true story I swear on it! Been out and about and decided to venture forth to that there moathouse. You know what it is? Anyways. There's something down there. Not sure what. But something. Bout a week ago or more. Didn't go in of course. Didn't see anything else but I swear I was being watched." He takes the ale and taps the side of it "So what are you doing in town? I know most of it. Yup I do!"
Rollins Strongfoot
 Dwarf Barbarian, 14 posts
Sat 1 May 2021
at 04:18
(IC) Hommlet
Rollins blinks for a couple moments, waiting to see if the barkeep was serious about kicking the dog out.  After she gives up and serves the ale, he relaxes.

"I'm always up for a tale!  And no...I'm not familiar with the moathouse; we just happened into town today.

"What an odd occurrence.  Did you talk to the owner?  Perhaps he was down there?

"As for us, we don't have much of an agenda.  Travelling to see some sights and meet new folks.  Speaking of, my name is Rollins.  Yours?"

Shaari
 Wild Elf Druid, 31 posts
Mon 3 May 2021
at 02:20
(IC) Hommlet
"I see no dog," Shaari said deadpan and dropped a gold coin imprinted with the crest of long dead king. Hopefully that would be enough to get the woman to ignore Amavin's presence. "Thank you for the drinks."

"What is a moathouse?" she asked the bartender quietly, having picked up part of the conversation between the bard and Rollins.

For Amavin's part, she made a grumbling noise that she usually made when people pet her so it seemed that Selena'a attention wasn't unwanted. When water was offered, she sniffed it before dipping her paws in it and laying back down.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:18, Mon 03 May.

Dungeonmaster
 GM, 1896 posts
Mon 3 May 2021
at 03:33
(IC) Hommlet
"That thing is not a dog? If he harms anyone..." The keep grumbles and takes the gold, pressing it to her teeth to be sure its real and when she turns to leave, she looks back at the druid "Why you asking so many damn questions? Ask the bard, he apparently knows everything." She goes back to the bar, slipping the gold into her pocket.

The bard leans forwards "The keep is pretty big and seems to be abandoned so who would I ask? I didn't go inside, hearing all I did." He leans back against his chair and sips his drink "Redithidoor Halfmoon at your service. Friends call me Red. Course don't got anything but..." Another sip "The moathouse is well near the shore. Looks out amongst a river or a lake. Well the one I mentioned is near a river and a lake. Anyways, the tale its be true. Wasn't sure what it was but I believe that there's undead there. Could be wrong. Evil lurks within its walls and perhaps outside!" He jugs another bit of ale.

Selena's hand reaches up and fumbles around for her ale. She finds it and pulls it down underneath the table. Odd gnome. And of course she's leaning on the dog.
Shaari
 Wild Elf Druid, 34 posts
Tue 4 May 2021
at 15:20
(IC) Hommlet
Shaari was starting to have a good idea why the inn was empty. "Not dog, storm." Without another word to the coin corrupted woman, she turned around and joined the others at the table. "Undead?" Free to wander near a holy river? "Why has it not been cleansed?" she asked angrily.

Clearly agitated, she ran her fingers through her hair and started speaking in elvish before stopping and repeating herself in the common tongue. "It does not matter. We must do it ourselves, clean that place. It is why Ehlonna sent me from my home."


OOC:
Note: All rivers/lakes are filed under Holy in Shaari's mental file cabinet.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:21, Tue 04 May.

Rollins Strongfoot
 Dwarf Barbarian, 15 posts
Wed 5 May 2021
at 21:09
(IC) Hommlet
Rollins gives a 'not again' eye roll towards Red.  "She has a thing for bodies of water," he says softly.

"I'm interested in seeing that keep, though.  I'm always up to critique some stonework," he chuckles, "If it's nice enough, perhaps I could even move in!
 This could be fun."
  He give a nod and smile at Shaari.

Turning back to Red he asks, "But first...do you know of any place to get some food?"
Shaari
 Wild Elf Druid, 35 posts
Sun 9 May 2021
at 15:40
(IC) Hommlet
Shaari mumbled, "Water is life," under her breath but otherwise ignored the eyeroll. She was however more agreeable to it being 'fun'. "We will go in as a storm and burn away the corruption from the land." Looking under the table and seeing a still hungry gnome and 'dog', she added. "After hungry ones are fed." She didn't want the always hungry Amavin eating the undead.
Dungeonmaster
 GM, 1897 posts
Wed 12 May 2021
at 17:08
(IC) Hommlet
A hand raises up from beneath the table and some money is put down it. Ironically, its a gold piece that looks just like the one Shaari payed with. But no, can't be....

Maybe? Hard to tell. The gnome rests on the dog, sipping her drink and petting it.

Red leans back "Cuz no one wants to go there and cleansed it? That's right eh? Cleansing it. Never heard it before. Or perhaps we don't got the right things to clear it. Or don't want to. Don't bug us, we won't bug you eh? Course could be nothing or could be something interesting. Or deadly. Just stories I heard, little I have seen. I bet you can do it. Oh and if your looking for work, talk to Elmo. Everyone does but he's not in charge but the higher ups let him do his thing if it keeps Hommelt safe!"
Rollins Strongfoot
 Dwarf Barbarian, 17 posts
Thu 10 Jun 2021
at 18:59
(IC) Hommlet
Rollins nods at Red.  "I don't think we need work at the moment, but mayhap if we don't find anything interesting at this keep."  He turns his attention back to Shaari, "Do you think we should get settled here and head off in the morn?"