Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Aleric Pendrake
 player, 10 posts
Wed 11 Mar 2015
at 03:08
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
Aleric listened to the wizard's summary of the job that he had hired the group. Giants!, he thought to himself. His eyes widen at the mention of the creatures. He of course had not experienced them personally but had  heard stories from many bards that had passed through his hamlet. They were unpredictable, savage, filthy, and very dangerous creatures. There were many different giants but again he had not had the opportunity to face them. He had stories of entire villages and other hamlets razed to the ground by giants. He seemed lost in thought as he realized each time the bard returned to his hamlet the story seemed to change each time. He wondered how much of it was truth or how much was legend. Naturally the bard's tale had to be somewhat fantastic else he would not earn his fee. He had been dozing his chair and occasionally shook his head to find out what was going on. The trip to his tavern was long but now it appears there would be adventure.

He realized that he had missed some of the conversation and did not want to appear he was not appearing impolite or inattentive. He was still somewhat groggy from the arduous trip but tried to recover.

"Same contract as before. Excellent. There are many charities that I can assist with more funds Now what was that about giants having hammers?"

Suddenly the woman collapsed into the chair in the conference room .  The barkeep seemed to prevent her entrance and he quickly rose to action and stood from his chair with his hand upon his sword pommel

"I say good sir! Stay your hand and do not accost this woman!"

He kneeled slightly and extended one hand to assist her to her feed. "My apologies my lady."
Anselm Greenwater
 player, 15 posts
Wed 11 Mar 2015
at 03:42
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
Without standing up, Anselm chivalrously pushes out a chair with his foot, for the latecomer to sit in.
Gavina
 player, 8 posts
Wed 11 Mar 2015
at 14:51
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
Gavina's face turns bright red with embarrassment as she gets off the floor and pats at her clothing to remove any loose dirt from her garment.  "Th-thank you very much," she says, to the group as a whole.  "I'm sorry for the interruption."  Spying her staff, she quickly reaches for it and snatches it off the ground.  She then positions the chair Anselm offered and takes a seat.

"Please . . . do not let my graceless entrance interrupt you.  Prithee, continue, if you will."
Narrator
 GM, 44 posts
 Teller of Tales
Thu 12 Mar 2015
at 19:26
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
Tolfdir was just finishing his summary of the dwarven stronghold when the sounds of the kerfuffle reached their ears and distracted his thoughts. As the door burst opens, he is completely taken aback by the audaciousness of the intruder who would interrupt a wizard.

Upon spying Gavina and Gundiholt, he furrowed brow relaxes and he just shakes his head sideways. Aleric! he shouts as the warrior jumps to defend the lady. "Stay your hand," Tolfdir commands. Then he directs his attention to the innkeeper "Nothing to worry about my friend."

"I see that promptness still eludes you," he says with narrowed eyes to the newcomer once she situates herself. "However, your skills will be needed upon this expedition, so I am glad that you are here."

"Now, where was I? Ah yes!" he exclaims. "Durgedin would most certainly not abandon his stronghold or leave it unguarded, Devon. So all of you should exercise caution if you discover it."

"What more can I help you with?"
Dalscyr Nettlewill
 player, 20 posts
Thu 12 Mar 2015
at 19:57
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
"So besides looking for these giant dwarves, what else are we supposed to explore for? And who else might know of or have an interest in this cavern? How was it found and by whom? What do you think we might find? Forgive me for missing things if you've already said them, you see, I was sort of... that is... you got started before I was finished eating..." Dalscyr looked a bit sheepish.

"Forgive me for the concern. I'm not afraid mind you, never that, it's just that the last expedition I was on, under your employ, didn't turn out so well. Only two of us made it back. Although I will say that this lot looks like they'll be much better able to handle themselves than those other poor chaps..."
Calaron Brasson
 player, 31 posts
 Got skills got work?
 F/MU
Thu 12 Mar 2015
at 19:59
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
"A guide or barring that a map would be most helpful" Varithmel says thinking of what would be helpful to the group.
Gavina
 player, 9 posts
Thu 12 Mar 2015
at 21:14
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
Chastised, Gavina bites her lower lip and hangs her head a little.  She says nothing.
Aleric Pendrake
 player, 11 posts
Thu 12 Mar 2015
at 23:00
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
Aleric also nodded towards Tolfdir. "Yes of course. I apologize for my.... enthusiasm."

He looks around and again nods his head towards Calaron. "A map would be greatly appreciated. If a scout or guide is not available perhaps someone in the tavern is knowledgeable of the terrain. We should take stock of needed supplies."
Devon
 player, 17 posts
Thu 12 Mar 2015
at 23:06
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
In reply to Narrator (msg # 44):

"for my part, you have answered, or at least confirm my suspicions and I have no more question to add." He said looking at the new arrival and taking stock of her, mentally evaluationg and judging her the same he would a new recruit.

"We might want to stock up on pitons, hammer and rope then." He said looking at the others.
Anselm Greenwater
 player, 16 posts
Fri 13 Mar 2015
at 01:18
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
"My handful of torches won't last long," Anselm says, thinking about his own gear and the darkness of the caverns. "Lanterns, then, and oil? I have a small purse to contribute to the cause."
Devon
 player, 18 posts
Fri 13 Mar 2015
at 10:02
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
"I have a lantern and 5 flasks of oil. But more would be wise indeed." He replied. "And I also have some coins to contribute to the cause."
Gavina
 player, 10 posts
Fri 13 Mar 2015
at 14:05
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
Gavina guiltily looks at her belongings, which seem to consist only of a staff.

"Uhm . . . if there are some things you think we need I can get them.  I am . . . underequipped, at the moment," she says haltingly.

She glances at Tolfdir, as if expecting further lecturing.

OOC: Gavina did not have any equipment when I inherited her.  I can whip something together quickly, but wanted to hear back from the Narrator about her magic items (which she also did not have) before buying stuff.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:04, Sun 15 Mar 2015.

Aleric Pendrake
 player, 13 posts
Sat 14 Mar 2015
at 13:35
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
"I have a few flasks of oil and a few torches myself with some rope. I agree that we should pool our resources together. I have some coin as well I would be more than happy to contribute to the party as they see fit."
Dalscyr Nettlewill
 player, 22 posts
Sun 15 Mar 2015
at 07:50
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
On the topic of equipment and gear, Dalscyr was notably quiet. Eerily so in fact. The truth was that he was rather particular about his stuff, and after his last adventurous mishap, he'd not taken a good inventory of his belongings. It was high time he got to it however, but as his well-kept appearance might suggest, he was a little embarrassed by the notion that he'd been lax.

OOC: Oops. I'm still working on gear. Sry.
Tolfdir
 NPC, 3 posts
Sun 15 Mar 2015
at 13:21
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
"All good questions, my young hobbit friend," Tolfdir says cheerfully. "As I'm sure you all recall, I'm interested in artifacts of ancient cultures; goods that can be displayed in the museum or sold to collectors if they hold not cultural value. As well as technology that I can study to learn how they lived."

He requests a tablemate fill his empty wine goblet and then takes a hearty sip from it and says "It has been a while since I've had Julianous Reserve, I had forgotten how subtle the flavors." After a brief pause, he continues "And of course, being a wizard, I am always interested in magic, scrolls and new tomes are always a favorite of mine."

The wizard gazes at the halfling with a look of seriousness. "As to what or whom you may find, Dalscyr, I do not know. So your sense of trepidation is wise. As for who else seeks what lies within; those who would seek to increase their own fortunes - barons, merchants, and adventurers."

"I do not have a map Calaron, but I'm sure one of you will be able to construct an excellent one for me," Tolfdir says with a large smile. "But there will be someone to guide you there, a local hunter who gathers ingredients for me from this region. It was he who discovered the cave, a gaping hole in the cliffside with mushrooms as large as giants within," he states silently imagining the sight.

"Once you have all readied yourselves in the morn', he will guide you to the location. You are wise to discuss the gathering of supplies, for the site is about a day and a half away; too far to be returning to town quickly for needed supplies." he tells you.

"And before I forget, if the cavern is as large as I suspect and it does indeed contain the lost dwarven stronghold, then there may be more than one entrance. For Durgedin would never leave himself without an escape route." the wizard concludes.
Dalscyr Nettlewill
 player, 23 posts
 HP:31/31 AC:4 THAC0:19
 To Hit:+3, Dam:1d6
Mon 16 Mar 2015
at 22:25
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
Dalscyr was nodding thoughtfully as the old wizard confirmed this was to be a smash and grab job. That was good news for the halfling, for that was about how any job turned out where he was involved. Plus fire and explosions.

"Giant mushrooms?" he asked, his curiosity piqued. "Hmmm... I suppose if giant dwarves exist, they need to have crawled out from beneath something... sounds interesting!"

He hoisted his pack and rummaged through it, nearly half disappearing into it. He stood and placed his hands on his hips. "What we need is a list!" He looked meaningfully around the room for someone to produce quill and ink and begin writing down what they all thought they might need.
Adalwulf
 player, 10 posts
 Human Barbarian
Mon 16 Mar 2015
at 22:27
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
Adalwulf meets Dalscyr's gaze, giving him a look that says, do I look like the type to carry a quill?
Dalscyr Nettlewill
 player, 25 posts
 HP:31/31 AC:4 THAC0:19
 To Hit:+3, Dam:1d6
Mon 16 Mar 2015
at 22:31
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
Dalscyr's eyes widened and seemed to say back to Adalwulf, well of course I didn't mean you in particular...
Dalscyr Nettlewill
 player, 28 posts
 HP:31/31 AC:4 THAC0:19
 To Hit:+3, Dam:1d6
Thu 19 Mar 2015
at 00:24
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
Dalscyr cleared his throat a little, seeing that perhaps these people didn't really understand the genius of making a list. "Well, perhaps we should gather our gear together, meet this guide, and get all ready for leaving in the morning...? Master Tolfdir, will you be opening an account with the trader as you have in the past to cover any incidentals we might be lacking? Perhaps this guide can get us outfitted on your tab?" He was talking quickly, eager to usher the arrangements forward for he was eager for the morning to come and a new adventure to begin.
Adalwulf
 player, 11 posts
 Human Barbarian
Thu 19 Mar 2015
at 20:39
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
Adalwulf nods in agreement.
Devon
 player, 19 posts
Thu 19 Mar 2015
at 22:34
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
"Reasonable enough." agreed the fighter.
Tolfdir
 NPC, 4 posts
Sat 21 Mar 2015
at 04:46
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
The kindly wizard has taken up his pipe and given it but a few puffs when the halfling inquires about equipment. "Aye, Master Nettlewell, I can arrange something with the local trader but be aware," he says taking a pause to take a long draw from the pipe. "You'll find common goods for sure but don't expect to all goods you would in a city. In addition, any items purchased and not returned in good condition shall be drawn from your share of any treasure acquire," he concludes.

"If there are no further questions then I'll begin to make arrangements. Plan to meet here early in the morning and I'll introduce you to your guide," Toldfir tells the group.
Dalscyr Nettlewill
 player, 31 posts
 HP:31/31 AC:4 THAC0:19
 To Hit:+3, Dam:1d6
Sat 21 Mar 2015
at 05:04
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
Tolfdir:
In addition, any items purchased and not returned in good condition shall be drawn from your share of any treasure acquire...

"Yes, I remember that from last time. If I recall correctly, I ended up owing you money after that adventure..." the halfling sighed. In the building excitement however, his claims about a prior disaster seemed to be mostly just bluster and maybe even a little bit of showing off. Truth be known, Dalscyr could hardly contain himself in anticipation for the morrow!
Aleric Pendrake
 player, 15 posts
 HP: 9/9, AC:5/4 Thac0: 20
Sat 21 Mar 2015
at 12:27
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
"I think we are all in accord then." Aleric mentions while sipping on some mead.
Devon
 player, 20 posts
Sun 22 Mar 2015
at 13:18
Re: Prologue: The Dragon's Flagon
"It does indeed sound like it." Devon responded to Aleric. "Indeed it does."