The Well.   Posted by Storyteller.Group: 0
Storyteller
 GM, 29 posts
 Storyteller
Mon 22 Jun 2015
at 22:05
The Well
You enter an ornately tiled square with a covered stone well in the centre. The night is quiet and the square is deserted, except for yourselves. The place has an eerie feel, but looks nothing out of the ordinary.

Roll Perception + Investigation to search the square and well.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:05, Mon 22 June 2015.

Hugh of Lewes
 player, 39 posts
 Nosferatu
 Fallen Crusader
Tue 23 Jun 2015
at 21:12
Re: The Well
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 1):

Botch
Storyteller
 GM, 30 posts
 Storyteller
Thu 25 Jun 2015
at 21:20
Re: The Well
Try as you may, you cannot concentrate. You yearn for action and have little patience for this activity. Several times Telo tries to engage your interest in the search, but you simply cannot turn you mind to it. Telo's lack of immediate success only serves to prove to you the futility of this line of enquiry.

You turn to Telo and suggest a different course.
Hugh of Lewes
 player, 40 posts
 Nosferatu
 Fallen Crusader
Thu 25 Jun 2015
at 21:31
Re: The Well
"Ach, I am not made for such purposes. Let us away. On to observe this Bryce. Let us see what kind of creature he is - but without making contact. Let's see where he leads us or what he does. We can come here another night of need be. It has been to thoroughly cleaned and scrubbed and used for our investigations to be of any use. Let's go."
Hugh of Lewes
 player, 41 posts
 Nosferatu
 Fallen Crusader
Sun 5 Jul 2015
at 19:38
Re: The Well
"Actually...wait...before we go, there is something more we could try..."

"Both of our clans - yet yours in particular - have an affinity with beasts. Maybe there is some way we could utilise this calling. While I have more in common with the animals of the wild than these urban creatures, there may be something they can tell us? Although I doubt most pay attention to much of the goings-on of even humankind, let alone our brethren, a ready source of food, such as a decomposing body, would have been of note."

"Mayhap they could provide us with some very basic details if we were lucky? How many deposited the body for example, or the size or smell of our prey."

"What say you Telo? You have been amongst these urban creatures more than I. Do you think the dogs and rats here may be of use? I realise it is a shot in the dark, but more unlikely chances have come good in the past!"
Telo
Mon 13 Jul 2015
at 21:49
Re: The Well
In reply to Hugh of Lewes (msg # 5):

Telo smiles. "I have some skill and this is a good time for a lesson.

"I will call what I can - you talk to them."

Telo squats down and holds his hands to his chest as if they were paws. He then starts to emit squeaks, uncannily like rodents.

"The trick to summon rats, isn't just to imitate their sounds - anyone can learn to do that. You have to think like a rat. Let the beast within you know what it feels like to be a rat. Let it pretend to be a rat and call them."

After a few seconds, three rats scurry to his feet and look up expectantly.

He turns to you and smiles. "So, what do you want to ask?"
Storyteller
 GM, 31 posts
 Storyteller
Wed 15 Jul 2015
at 22:48
Re: The Well
No roll is necessary to speak to the rats, but you will need to roll Manipulation + Animal Ken if you want them to do something for you.
Hugh of Lewes
 player, 42 posts
 Nosferatu
 Fallen Crusader
Tue 21 Jul 2015
at 21:03
Re: The Well
In reply to Telo (msg # 6):

Think like a rat. Let the beast become the rat. I crouch there willing myself to see through the eyes of a rat, smell what a rat might smell, behave as a rat might behave.

Food. Water. Territory. Sex. Avoiding death. All important. This is obviously the rat's territory and the well wouldn't only be a water source, but a means of transit. They may view a dead body as food, especially if it had been there more than a few hours.

"My friends, thank you for letting us wander in your domain. The source of water there - do you remember meat being thrown in or around it recently (I hope they have a grasp of 'recent')? This dead meat would be of human."

"I wonder if you saw any other human deposit the meat? Large compared to me? More like our friend here (I signal Telo)? Was there more than one human? Was it nearer sundown or sun up?"

"Was this human strange in any way compared to those who normally use the water source?"

"Thank you my friends for anything you can tell us."

"Oh, and one thing - a favour. If any more human meat it deposited in or near the well, can you find and tell us?"
Hugh of Lewes
 player, 43 posts
 Nosferatu
 Fallen Crusader
Tue 21 Jul 2015
at 21:05
Re: The Well
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 7):

<failed - no successes>
Storyteller
 GM, 32 posts
 Storyteller
Tue 21 Jul 2015
at 21:35
Re: The Well
The rats look at you curiously. "The big ones like him were alone. One was by the water hole, taking water. One climbed down the water hole, and died inside. They made little noise as they died."

They chatter amongst themselves. "No find. If more meat comes, we eat, not you!"

The rats then scurry away.

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:54, Fri 24 July 2015.

Telo
Tue 21 Jul 2015
at 21:36
Re: The Well
Telo turns to you. "They were on their own when they died? Well, I wasn't expecting that. So, where next? The Broken Wheel?"
Hugh of Lewes
 player, 44 posts
 Nosferatu
 Fallen Crusader
Thu 30 Jul 2015
at 14:55
Re: The Well
In reply to Telo (msg # 11):

"It is indeed strange that they were alone when they died, especially as they are supposed to have been strangled. As far as I'm aware, you can't strangle yourself, which means there's something strange going on. I suppose you could crush your own neck enough that you'd die, but you'd have to be pretty crazed. Mind you, we mustn't forget that we're potentially dealing with those connected to the sons of Malkav. Maybe they can induce in others the craze that exists in themselves? Was it a madness?"

"I wish we knew more. How did they know it was strangulation, for example? Bruises around the neck? Some kind of cord?"

"Of course, the rats could have been mistaken in what they saw when they said the man 'climbed' inside. There are ways of making oneself unnnoticable to those looking. As you have taught me something, I will endeavor to do the same for you. Come, we can try on our way to The Broken Wheel."

"Now, at the early stages of this discipline, it is about training yourself to blend in with your surroundings. Before, you told of encouraging the beast within to embody the animal you wish to communicate with. This is similar. Picture the moth clinging to the side of the tree. If you had not seen it land, you would not know it was there at all. You must encourage the beast to be as the moth - at one with that which is around you."

"Of course, if the moth moves too much, it will be seen. This is much the same. If you move too much, or make yourself obvious, you will also be seen. But imagine if the moth was only crawling across the surface of the tree... It would not be noticed by all but the very observant."

"Come, there is no one here to see us become as the moth. Let us move to our destination in stealth. It will serve us when we arrive, I am sure."

This message was last edited by the player at 08:37, Sat 08 Aug 2015.

Telo
Mon 10 Aug 2015
at 08:15
Re: The Well
Telo crouches and closes his eyes and concentrates. The shadows grow slightly deeper around him for a moment, but he seems unable to make the effect last.

He opens his eyes and looks at you.

"Yes, I think I can see what you are getting at. I need more practice I think."

He smiles his easy grin and walks into the night. "To the Broken Wheel!"

He slips once more into the shadows and starts to adopt more earthly means of stealth. Every now an then though, as you travel to the inn, you see the shadows deepen around him once more, the duration growing each time. The effect is clumsy, but excellent for a beginner.