Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail.   Posted by The Stars.Group: archive 1
Lliven Undoeth
 player, 95 posts
 Monk of the Everen Forest
 AC:16 HP:23/23 Ki:3/3
Wed 16 Sep 2015
at 23:55
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
Lliven smiles back at Hiram in a silent thank you for the blessing...and then promptly steps forward onto a pile of slightly dry leaves, crunching them beneath his feet.  Wincing, he looked about him to see if the goblins detected his not-so-stealthy movements.




GAH! Even with advantage I didn't make a DC 10 stealth check!

16:49, Today: Lliven Undoeth rolled 9 using 2d20+3, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 4,6.  Dex (Steath) w/ Advantage.

The Stars
 GM, 351 posts
 Witness to all that has
 come to pass...
Thu 17 Sep 2015
at 00:05
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
2 successes, 1 fail. Hiram beat the DC by 5, so he can give advantage to one more party member...
Hiram Picklebarrow
 player, 77 posts
Thu 17 Sep 2015
at 13:42
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
Hiram winced as Lliven squelched through the dry leaves.  He quickly looked around to see if there was anyone else he could help.

Advantage to whoever else has a crap stealth roll.  e.g. or at least move a disadvantaged roll into a normal roll.
Goban Fossenrend
 player, 136 posts
 Arcane Trickster
 AC14 HP24/24
Thu 17 Sep 2015
at 13:52
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
I think there's no reason for Goban to try and better his roll, since he at least beat the DC, so that's just gonna go to Sul, right?
The Stars
 GM, 353 posts
 Witness to all that has
 come to pass...
Thu 17 Sep 2015
at 14:17
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
OOC: I believe Cormac and Sul are the only ones left.
Cormac O'Rourke
 player, 101 posts
 A fool is quickly
 parted with his money.
Thu 17 Sep 2015
at 16:21
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
Cormac was grabbing onto Yuki's saddle and trying to get her to sit back down on the ground.  She stands up right and begins to shake vigorously, drool flying into Cormac's face.

He let's out a sigh and looks at the rest of the group before whispering.

"She's not the brightest but I do have a soft spot for the big girl."


Ooc:

17:17, Today: Cormac O'Rourke rolled 6 using 1d20+5 ((1)).
17:22, Today: Cormac O'Rourke rolled 21 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 16.  Stealth roll - halfling reroll.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:24, Thu 17 Sept 2015.

Sul Duskstrider
 player, 33 posts
 Half-elf, Ranger, Urchin
 AC 17, HP 23/24
Sun 20 Sep 2015
at 17:55
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
Almost as naturally as breathing, Sul stalked quietly along the rest of the group, listening intently to the conversation of the goblins.

His hatred for their kind fueled his concentration and heated his skin. Seven of them. 4 were just grunts... Lackeys, he was sure. His eyes narrowed and fastened to study the three bigger ones more closely. He tried to place or associate anything - their behaviour, archetype, build - within his knowledge of goblin culture and history.


OOC:
19:40, Today: Sul Duskstrider rolled 15 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 10.  Stealth.

It's not possible to retroactively give advantage to the failed roll, is it?

Also, I'd like to roll something for Sul to check if he can gleam any more info about the goblins since they're favoured enemies, but not sure how I should do that.

The Stars
 GM, 354 posts
 Witness to all that has
 come to pass...
Thu 24 Sep 2015
at 04:07
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
OOC:

I count 4 successes, 1 fail, so you guys make it!

@ Sul: You are free to roll a DC 10 Int(Nature) check. For every 5 you beat it, I'll add additional information.

Sul Duskstrider
 player, 35 posts
 Half-elf, Ranger, Urchin
 AC 17, HP 23/24
Thu 24 Sep 2015
at 07:57
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
In reply to The Stars (msg # 129):

He tried to focus on the three larger enemies, but the clandestine approach needed to follow the group of goblins called for Sul's immediate attention. He stepped lightly with the rest of party as they stalked the goblins.

He kept his eyes trained on the goblins and turned his head only slightly towards his closest companion, Lliven, as he whispered, "Have you heard of the Fallen before?"

OOC:
Failed...
09:44, Today: Sul Duskstrider rolled 7 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 5.  Nature check.

The Stars
 GM, 356 posts
 Witness to all that has
 come to pass...
Fri 25 Sep 2015
at 06:59
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
Despite the slight rustling Lliven's movements made, the Goblins appeared not to notice the companions. Every so often one of the Goblins would glance in the direction of the companions, but it seemed to be more general caution than certain alarm. They managed to silently keep up with the Goblin party's pace.

When they reached the clearing, the area was the same as the companions had left it save for one detail. The corpses were still scattered on the ground. The tree that attacked them was still shattered and uprooted. However, in the middle of the area stood a large stone stele that was certainly not in the area before.

"I told you!" spat one of the bigger Goblins. "The Fallen didn't kill them all! Looks like there's only two on the ground..."

"Piss and shit, shit and piss!" cursed one of the smaller ones. She skittered about, jabbing the corpses with a shortsword.

"Look for tracks!" said the big one. The Goblins fanned out, looking for signs of their quarry. However, the companions had done a better job of hiding their tracks than the Goblins were at spotting the signs of tampered trails.

"Nothing," moaned one of the smaller ones.

"Well...that's not true," said the Goblin who had stabbed the corpses with her shortsword. She gestured towards the scratched earth near the stele, and started to cackle.

"This thing's been on the move again. Thank the Masters its not after us!"

"Maybe it got them?"
asked another small Goblin.

"Maybe, but the Master's Chosen is going to want to know. It might make him rethink sending word to the Shadow Daggers..." The big Goblin that appeared to be the leader spat on the ground after saying the other Goblin Tribe's name.

"He won't like it," he finished, "but he doesn't have to like it. Let's report back, double time!"

Sul

The Goblins of this continent were different enough from those back in Afran that it was hard to make out their capabilities. They were better organized, better armed, and better trained. Even their language was different, requiring fluency in the Goblin tongue to make out the archaic references and idioms they used which had fallen out of favor among Afran Goblins centuries ago.

OOC:

Ok, sorry for the long pause! x_x The Goblins are heading back to their tribe. It'll take another stealth check skill challenge to follow them without being spotted. I just need 3 successes from you guys at DC 10 Dex(Stealth), same rules as before.

Alternatively, you can wait in the area for the Goblins to leave and then follow their trail. They aren't worried about hiding their tracks this time, so it won't take a skill challenge. However, you will miss out on whatever information the Goblins have, or avoiding any traps that the Goblins may have in place for unwelcome visitors (if there are any...).

Just let me know what you want to do! ^_^

Goban Fossenrend
 player, 137 posts
 Arcane Trickster
 AC14 HP24/24
Fri 25 Sep 2015
at 07:38
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
Goban motions to follow, with a quizzical tilt of his head indicating he was in favor of the plan but wasn't sure everyone else was, with an added "listen" (cupping his hands around his ears), and then "ambush" (mimed stabbing in and around the lungs and heart area).

Goban Fossenrend rolled 20 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 13.  Stealth. Woo! Finally, a result befitting someone who specializes in stealth.
Lliven Undoeth
 player, 96 posts
 Monk of the Everen Forest
 AC:16 HP:23/23 Ki:3/3
Fri 25 Sep 2015
at 15:39
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
Lliven nods at Goban's pantomiming and begins moving forward.  He was about to once again step into a pile of leaves, but a divine wind blew them out of the way, leaving the monk's steps silent. Looking over at the Dodger, Lliven silently thanks him for his blessing.

The elf watched his surroundings and listened to Goban and Sul's translation of the goblin language, waiting for a signal that would alert him to run, fight, or simply stop moving. For such a motley crew, and having arrived in Jobenport only the day before yesterday, they were certainly working well together. Lliven prayed to The Hermit that all of his shipmates would live through the day, and wondered how the other group fared.






08:22, Today: Lliven Undoeth rolled 9 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 6.  Dex(Stealth).
08:26, Today: Lliven Undoeth rolled 21 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 18.  Dex(Stealth) advantage roll (due to the Dodger's blessing).

Cormac O'Rourke
 player, 104 posts
 A fool is quickly
 parted with his money.
Fri 25 Sep 2015
at 18:31
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
Cormac crouched down and preferred to stay low rather than face the goblins head on so soon after the last fight.  Yukiko had a different idea, and was sniffing ahead of her and pulling at her reigns.  Cormac dug his heels in, pulling Yuki into a low crouch and started to chant in a whispered voice.

"Hiding, Hiding, hiding, hiding from the angry goblins."


OOC:
Bardic inspiration: +D6 bonus to one of the team to add to their stealth roll attempt.
19:30, Today: Cormac O'Rourke rolled 15 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 10.  Stealth Check.

Incase anyone didn't get the reference:
http://vignette2.wikia.nocooki...st?cb=20150531212044

Sul Duskstrider
 player, 36 posts
 Half-elf, Ranger, Urchin
 AC 17, HP 23/24
Mon 28 Sep 2015
at 19:31
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
Sul turned to face Lliven, awaiting the elf's response.

In doing so, he didn't notice his foot move towards a large, dry branch that would surely have cracked beneath his weight.

Fortunately, Cormac's literal and highly appropriate chant caused Sul to be mindful of his surroundings. Mid-air, he managed to place his foot beside the branch and not disturb the forest floor in an audible way. The half-elf bowed a thank you to Cormac, knowing he would need to repay the kindness later.

He breathed relief. Being in a group clearly had its benefits.

OOC:

21:23, Today: Sul Duskstrider rolled 5 using 1d6 with rolls of 5.  Bardic inspiration towards stealth check.
21:22, Today: Sul Duskstrider rolled 6 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 1.  Stealth check.

5+6=11 = pass.

Is it okay what I did there? Thanks for the inspiration, Cormac!

@ The Stars - are the goblins still spread out?

This message was last edited by the player at 15:40, Tue 29 Sept 2015.

The Stars
 GM, 359 posts
 Witness to all that has
 come to pass...
Tue 6 Oct 2015
at 15:25
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
As the Goblins rushed back to their home, the companions were able to stay just behind them. Every so often, the Goblins would shift to the side, keeping from falling into pit traps that they had set up to catch prey or unexpected visitors. The companions made sure to note each of the traps, and the path the Goblins took to their home.

The Goblins neared something that looked like a cross between a small mountain and a large, rocky hill. As they approached, one of the large Goblins gave two long whistles and one hoot. A pair of spear-wielding Goblins emerged from a well-camouflaged recess.

"Any luck?" called out one of the new Goblins.

"None," replied the big Goblin. "No sign of the invaders. We need to talk with the Master's Chosen."

"He's waiting for you," answered the other. "I think he knows what you found, and what you're about to suggest."

"Piss and shit, really?" The big Goblin and his team of scouts walked towards the recess, and entered into their home. As they leave, the companions managed to catch the tail end of their conversation.

"Yeah. We're getting ready to send a messenger to the Shadow Daggers. He should be ready to leave in two days once the tribute is ready..."

OOC:

Ok, I'm ready to bring Chapter 3 to a close. You guys have found the Goblin's lair, found a safe approach, and managed to overhear some key information. You're welcome to try doing something else, but just let me know if you're ready to head back to the forward camp and regroup with the others. ^_^

Lliven Undoeth
 player, 97 posts
 Monk of the Everen Forest
 AC:16 HP:23/23 Ki:3/3
Tue 6 Oct 2015
at 23:17
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
After hearing that the goblins were getting ready to send a messenger to another (possibly larger and/or more deadly) group of goblins, Lliven had an idea.

"If they are planning to send a messenger in two days, we should inform Mistress Corr and then get a larger group back here.  If we ambush the messenger, maybe we can get even more information, and prevent any backup from arriving." he whispered to his group.
Goban Fossenrend
 player, 138 posts
 Arcane Trickster
 AC14 HP24/24
Tue 6 Oct 2015
at 23:46
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
"Agreed... or, of course, we could attack the camp and wipe them out before they can send the messengers."

Goban's fingers flexed and unflexed as he watched the goblins from afar, the death of their companions and so many others clearly weighing on him.
Hiram Picklebarrow
 player, 78 posts
Tue 6 Oct 2015
at 23:52
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
"I don't like to just leave them either" said Hiram, although the grimace on his face made it obvious he was not keen on just attacking.
The Stars
 GM, 362 posts
 Witness to all that has
 come to pass...
Wed 7 Oct 2015
at 03:54
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
OOC:

Go ahead and roll a Perception check DC 10. For every 5 you beat the check, I'll give you more info. ^_^

Goban Fossenrend
 player, 139 posts
 Arcane Trickster
 AC14 HP24/24
Wed 7 Oct 2015
at 04:16
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
Oh, come now, we all know Goban can't succeed at what he's good at.

Goban Fossenrend rolled 23 using 1d20+5 ((18)).

Huzzah! by calling out the REG I have shamed it into giving me a good roll!

The Stars
 GM, 363 posts
 Witness to all that has
 come to pass...
Wed 7 Oct 2015
at 06:23
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
Goban

As his eyes scanned the rock, Goban noticed several more recesses similar to the one where the Goblins emerged. Some of them also looked to have thorn-shaped protrusions that looked more like arrowheads than shards of jagged rock. The longer he stared, the easier it became to spot the movements of Goblin sentries in the recesses, keeping an eye out for intruders...

OOC:

Nice roll! So, yeah, you can see at least 10 more Goblins hiding in recesses. In other words, storming the stronghold is likely a Bad IdeaTM.

Goban Fossenrend
 player, 140 posts
 Arcane Trickster
 AC14 HP24/24
Wed 7 Oct 2015
at 06:52
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
oh, i don't think we were any of us talking about going in guns blazing, just being angsty and such.

Goban pointed out the various hiding spots, likely daytime warrens and scouting blinds. "'Ware those spots for when we come back. But let's make haste, it will take time to gather up our forces."
Sul Duskstrider
 player, 37 posts
 Half-elf, Ranger, Urchin
 AC 17, HP 23/24
Wed 7 Oct 2015
at 19:40
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail

The smell and sight of the congregation of goblins filled Sul with rage. "Leaving such fetid creatures to live is shameful, but their numbers are far too great for us. I second the idea of apprehending and interrogating their messenger."

His mind raced with distaste as he scanned the area too. "We should gather further information before a hasty retreat. Only knowing the location and number might not be enough to save innocents from further slaughter," his voice grew louder in rage, "by these detestable abominations."

_______________________________________________


Perception for any further info regarding goblin lair (besides number)
FAIL...

21:35, Today: Sul Duskstrider rolled 12 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 8.  Perception.

@Stars: Forest is favoured terrain, and Sul gets buffs to tracking including knowing exact number and sizes (PHB p91). Would that count for this situation?

Cormac O'Rourke
 player, 105 posts
 A fool is quickly
 parted with his money.
Wed 7 Oct 2015
at 20:03
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
Cormac nodded before whispering to Goban and Sul.

"Agreed, we're in no position to be storming a well defended camp, it's best that we retreat, recover and come back with a better chance of taking them on, at present I doubt we could throw much more than some harshly worded insults.


OOC:
21:08, Today: Cormac O'Rourke rolled 10 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 7.  Perception Check.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:09, Wed 07 Oct 2015.

The Stars
 GM, 368 posts
 Witness to all that has
 come to pass...
Fri 23 Oct 2015
at 05:44
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Following the Trail
With their mission complete, the companions picked their way back to the guards' forward camp. When they arrived, Captain Aeternum greeted them. The grizzled Half-Orc grew somber at the news, and ordered a messenger to head back to Jobenport. Within a few hours, the messenger returned with news that Mistress Corr had decided to launch an attack on the Goblin tribe and wipe them out before they could contact their neighbors. The messenger also brought news that the other group had returned Master Hrantig, and possibly found the key to a cure for the disease plaguing Jobenport's people...