Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River.   Posted by The Stars.Group: archive 1
Alys Valdrake
 player, 210 posts
Mon 14 Sep 2015
at 13:45
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
Alys' eye lit up as the sprite told her he was there for her.  "Indeed this is a dangerous place, but a necessary one for us to be in at this moment.  I am Alys Valdrake and my companion is Girard Flintchipper.  We have other companions back down this tunnel and we are looking for a kidnapped Master Farmer.  More than just his life will be lost if he is killed."

She stood up from the rock pile and extended a hand to Glimmer.  "Come friend Glimmer, lets go face the future together."
Girard Flintchipper
 player, 62 posts
 Terre's 1st druid tourist
 AC: 13 HP: 24/26 PPer: 12
Mon 14 Sep 2015
at 17:52
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
"He... he's come to find you? All the way from the continent?" The dwarf looked back and forth from Alys and the sprite. "I'm afraid I'm a bit lost." He pauses for a moment, unsure of what to say. "Oh... nice to meet you Glimmer. We really need to find Hrantig, so, if you could help us... You haven't seen him around, have you?"
Jaylea Gadris
 player, 134 posts
 Fey-Pact Warlock
 AC-13, HP-16/16
Mon 14 Sep 2015
at 21:06
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
The Stars:
The light grew dim as Jaylea followed the figure down the right path, with Haylan a few steps behind her. However, it was still enough to barely see an outline of the area.  Once she was about ten steps into the area, she heard a loud CRACK of steel sundering stone, followed by the voice of her patron.

A glowing book appeared in sight, nestled within a sundered group of rocks.


Her every instinct rejected the events she witnessed -- further confirmation of her commitment to a power she would never fully understand.  Behind her, Haylan's words of concern and warning should have been cause for pause.  Yet still Jaylea reached forward, as though her hand acted outside her volition, and gently rested a palm upon the tome, feeling the faintly glowing cover.  It was cool to the touch, its surface unmarred by the sundered rocks.  It felt right.  Proper.  Personal.  It was made for her.  Somehow, the proper words come to her as though she had memorized them years before.

[Language unknown:  "Urth Ti ofriti, Ofess fipa icaac ivnifo it U butthurea iouforrutnce, Ss ectearard ulinie nte En.  E strhasven elma essforderany o ast k unreet na ck tinhoulative ngpari at i ome.  Res butingson un wesser nd neun andounichred p uris ugh, les Es ecmi t lail ofckpr asritr."]

Then she grasped and lifted the ancient book, mildly surprised at how light it felt in her hands, and on the instant knew more of magick than she had a heartbeat before...

OOC:  Apologies for the long silence.
Haylan Reiss
 player, 139 posts
 Cleric of The Healer
 HP: 20/20 AC: 18
Mon 14 Sep 2015
at 22:27
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
Haylan hurried after Jaylea when he heard the crack, and rounded the corner into the area just as she lifted the book. "Lea! What is that? Is it safe?" The echoes of that strange tongue seemed to last much longer than they should have and Haylan looked around for someone else. "There are more players here than just the goblins' masters, I think. Are these the answers you were seeking?"
Jaylea Gadris
 player, 135 posts
 Fey-Pact Warlock
 AC-13, HP-16/16
Mon 14 Sep 2015
at 23:12
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
The young woman turned to her old friend, her face once more commingled with the almost fey, features he'd seen before...both lovely and alien.  She seemed to consider his questions for a long moment before finally answering.

"Safe?  No, I'm not at all certain that it's safe, Lan.  But it belongs with me.  I know that for certain.  As to answers, I think this might just lead to more questions...

"But maybe these new questions will be better ones."
  She smiled weakly, and then clutching the book to her breast, moved to her friend's side. 

"Let's go back to the others."

This message was last edited by the player at 03:06, Tue 15 Sept 2015.

Alys Valdrake
 player, 211 posts
Mon 14 Sep 2015
at 23:56
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
In reply to Girard Flintchipper (msg # 113):

Alys smiled and shook her head.  "The continent?  No.  Glimmer from farther away than that, and yet just a blink of the eye."
Haylan Reiss
 player, 140 posts
 Cleric of The Healer
 HP: 20/20 AC: 18
Tue 15 Sep 2015
at 02:11
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
In reply to Jaylea Gadris (msg # 116):

Haylan considered Jaylea's words then nodded at her suggestion, "Lets. Hopefully Girard caught up with Alys. You both wandered off so quickly I honestly thought you'd been compelled. After what happened to Vaayu..." Haylan trailed off. A moment later he switched the subject, "So...I'm guessing some late night reading is in your near future."
The Stars
 GM, 348 posts
 Witness to all that has
 come to pass...
Tue 15 Sep 2015
at 14:43
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
The Right Path

[Language unknown:  "Een hi o verderent."] The response was no more than a whisper, but lingered in the damp and stale cave air. Once it faded, there nothing left of the otherworldly presence. Only the book and the broken rock remained to give testament to the encounter.

The Left Path

"The journey perhaps took longer than that," Glimmer said, "as it was a strange, somnambulant flight from the Fey realm to this place hidden from our sight..." He trailed off as if trying to make sense of the journey.

"But that is of no importance," he continued, changing subjects. "I am bid to follow Alys, and if you seek this Hrantig, then I shall help."

Glimmer settled down upon Alys' shoulder, the sprite's weight barely noticeable.

"I have not seen him, but it might help if I knew what a 'Hrantig' is..."

The Main Cavern

Once the companions regrouped, the center path still remained unexplored. The stone had told Girard that someone or something had gone in that direction. Whether it was Hrantig still remained to be seen...

OOC:

And with that, I turn over control of the tome and sprite to their respective warlocks. :-p

Okay! Anyone without dark-vision will need a light source to be able to see in the cave. After that, I'll need a DC 15 Wis(Perception) check or Int(Nature) check to navigate the caves. You can have one person make the roll. If anyone else is proficient in the skill, you can work together so that the person with the highest modifier can roll with advantage per PHB p.175 (I think I messed up the aid rules earlier).

Jaylea Gadris
 player, 136 posts
 Fey-Pact Warlock
 AC-13, HP-16/16
Tue 15 Sep 2015
at 16:54
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
Haylan Reiss:
Haylan considered Jaylea's words then nodded at her suggestion, "Lets. Hopefully Girard caught up with Alys. You both wandered off so quickly I honestly thought you'd been compelled. After what happened to Vaayu..." Haylan trailed off. A moment later he switched the subject, "So...I'm guessing some late night reading is in your near future."


His friend smiled.  "It is, yes.  A great deal, I should imagine.  I played at being a scholar for some years to satisfy my family, but I never much felt like one.  Maybe now I'm becoming one for real..."

She slipped the book into her rucksack, and the two walked back to rejoin the others.  As they walked, Jaylea seemed to notice the darkness for the first time.  In an act so instinctual it surprised her somewhat, she murmured a word of fey power, and the point of her talismanic spear illuminated brightly, casting a lavender glow that extended some forty feet into the darkness ahead.  It was a spell she had never used before...one which a few moments ago she'd been unaware of how to cast at all.  Already her Fey patron's gift was proving useful.

First use of the new Tome...Jaylea casts a light spell on her spear.  :)
Haylan Reiss
 player, 141 posts
 Cleric of The Healer
 HP: 20/20 AC: 18
Tue 15 Sep 2015
at 21:36
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
Haylan casts a wistful look at Jaylea's glowing spear before waggling the torch he was carrying in his left hand, "Consider me envious. I've never mastered that one."

Once back in the man cave Haylan is visibly relieved to see Alys and Girard, "I'm glad the two...err...three of you are safe. You've made a friend? Has he seen Master Hrantig?"

OOC:
I wonder how Glimmer and Fluff will get along.

Girard Flintchipper
 player, 63 posts
 Terre's 1st druid tourist
 AC: 13 HP: 24/26 PPer: 12
Wed 16 Sep 2015
at 21:32
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
Girard only shot the newest companion a quick curious glance or two before he shrugged, nodded and gestured to get back to the main cave. "Not a, but a who. He's a gnome we're looking for. Someone of relative importance around these parts, in charge of the farms of the village, I believe."

The dwarf smiles warmly when he sees the other two. "Glad to see you two, too! The small one is called Glitter and... no, wait, Glimmer! And he's supposed to..." He looks at Alys. "Look after her? Thing is, he's on our side. Sadly, he's not seen Hrantig. However, now that our intrepid explorers have scouted out the other paths, there is only one way left to go." He points toward the passage.

OOC: I got a +2 in both Nature and Perception checks, do you guys want me to lead?
Alys Valdrake
 player, 216 posts
Wed 16 Sep 2015
at 22:25
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
Alys smiled as they rejoined the others.  "Glimmer, these are my friends, Haylan and Jaylea.  And that little one down there is Fluff.  He's a friend of Master Hrantig.  He can't speak Common but he does seem to know several words."

OOC: I have a +4 in Nature (Int).  Anyone have a high skill modifier?
Haylan Reiss
 player, 142 posts
 Cleric of The Healer
 HP: 20/20 AC: 18
Thu 17 Sep 2015
at 00:04
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
The Keeper gave a friendly nod toward Glimmer. "Hello, Glimmer. At least there are friends to be found in such a gloomy place."

Haylan looked to Girard. "Did your spell reveal anything, old friend? I won't be disappointed if the surprise of what's ahead is spoiled."

OOC: I have a +5 Perception (Wis).
Jaylea Gadris
 player, 137 posts
 Fey-Pact Warlock
 AC-13, HP-16/16
Thu 17 Sep 2015
at 03:35
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
Jaylea also greeted the tiny fairy.

"Greetings, Glimmer, I am Jaylea.  It will be good to have one of the fair folk among us.  [Language unknown:   Un buteencon t enou iveomeble, he ing ha Il Ate ta St histin'verlarith ou wiusli arart verwasone un st tha.]"

Having no particular craft at nature, tracking or spelunking, Jaylea waited patiently for one with such skills to step forward.

OOC: If it doesn't involve history, investigation, arcana or social interaction, Jaylea probably isn't your gal.  :)
The Stars
 GM, 355 posts
 Witness to all that has
 come to pass...
Fri 25 Sep 2015
at 04:17
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
Glimmer nodded politely to the others, choosing to keep silent. He wore a slightly anxious expression, slightly overwhelmed by the introduction of so many new faces combined with his prior incident in the cave. He looked down at Fluff with slight confusion. The sprite seemed perplexed by the animal, which in turn looked at him with a quizzical expression with its tail puffed up.

"The creatures here are different from what we know," he said softly in Common.

"Familiar in form, but strange in detail."

OOC:

Sorry for the long delay! x_x

Based on modifiers, it looks like Haylan has the highest modifier for Wisdom, and Alys for Nature. Girard can help one so that he/she can roll with advantage. You only need to pass either the Wis(Perception) or Int(Nature) at DC 15. Don't worry if you fail one, only if you fail both. :-p

Alys Valdrake
 player, 219 posts
Sat 26 Sep 2015
at 21:34
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
Alys smiled at Glimmer, "Yes, Fluff is unusual even to us.  Helpful and friendly, but definitely different."

OOC: 16:32, Today: Alys Valdrake rolled 15 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 11.  Int (Nature).

Well we have the minimum, now we just need Haylan to roll his advantage roll to see if we can get more than that.  ^_^

Haylan Reiss
 player, 143 posts
 Cleric of The Healer
 HP: 20/20 AC: 18
Sat 26 Sep 2015
at 23:43
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
Between the torch and the light from Jaylea's spear, Haylan peered into the darkness at the path before them.

OOC:
08:13, Thu 17 Sept: Haylan Reiss rolled 6 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 1.  Perception (Wis) +5. Using Advantage from Girard.

19:41, Today: Haylan Reiss rolled 23 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 18.  Perception (Wis) +5. Advantage Reroll. Success.

The Stars
 GM, 360 posts
 Witness to all that has
 come to pass...
Tue 6 Oct 2015
at 15:48
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
Thanks to Haylan's and Girard's sharp eyes, and Alys' knowledge of nature, the companions made their way through the center path of the cave without much difficulty. Jaylea's light made avoiding jagged rocks and slippery patches easy. Every so often, they would come across what looked like a small person's muddy footprints.

As the group went further into the cave, they soon noticed plants and fungi lining the walls of the cave. Upon closer inspection, some appeared to give off a faint bluish green light. The path began to slant up rather than down, and the pathway opened up to a large, cavernous room.

Beams of sunlight laced the floor of the cavern, shining through cracks in the cavern ceiling. All along the floor, a clover-like plant carpeted the floor. Its leaves were green with red spots. Crumpled in the far end of the cavern was a small, elderly Gnome. He was curled in a fetal position, and shivering. At his side was another animal that looked like Fluff. It's eyes were locked on the new arrivals.

The moment Fluff saw the fallen Gnome, it bolted over to him. It pressed against the Gnome's face with its paws, trying to rouse his friend. The Gnome emitted a pathetic groan.

"Right plant...but wrong mix..."

OOC:

Congratulations, you've found Hrantig! Haylan should recognize the Gnome's symptoms as similar to the disease the other colonists are suffering from. I'm ready to close this Chapter and have you regroup with the others. However, you're free to talk with Hrantig or make other checks. Just let me know! ^_^

Haylan Reiss
 player, 146 posts
 Cleric of The Healer
 HP: 20/20 AC: 18
Tue 6 Oct 2015
at 17:26
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
"He's ill," Haylan said to the others as he bent down to check on the gnome. "It's the same disease affecting the rest of the colonists."

"Master Hrantig, My name is Keeper Haylan. My friends and I have come from Jobenport to make sure you're safe and return you to the colony. What are you doing here?"

Even as he spoke Haylan began to work on relieving the ailing gnome's symptoms.

OOC:
Medicine Check to stabilize Hrantig.

13:23, Today: Haylan Reiss rolled 16 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 11.  Medecine Check (Wis). +5.

Alys Valdrake
 player, 221 posts
Tue 6 Oct 2015
at 20:31
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
While Haylan tended to the Master Farmer. Alys and Glimmer looked around the cavern.  "I see no signs that the goblins have even been here.  Could it be that in his delirium, he could have come here before the goblins attacked his farm?"
The Stars
 GM, 361 posts
 Witness to all that has
 come to pass...
Wed 7 Oct 2015
at 03:53
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
The Gnome blinked groggily, struggling to focus on the newcomers.

"Jo...Jobenport?" he said, coughs punctuating his pauses. "Good... Fleet...Fleet thought she found something...that can help... Just need...the right treatment..."

Hrantig lifted up a clenched fist and opened it. The crumpled leaves of the cavern clover covered his palm.

"I think...it will help...with a cure..."

With Haylan's help, Hrantig managed to get his feet under him. The Keeper noticed that the Gnome was shivering and wobbling. Also, he noticed a reddish bump---not unlike a bug bite---on the Gnome's neck.

"Make...make sure to take some...of the clover..."

OOC:

@ Haylan: Hrantig is stable, so I'll give you information on the symptoms and the likely cause of the sickness.

@ All: It has been a while, so I'll give a quick reminder that Hrantig's journal mentioned he was going out to look for plants in the cave with Fleet. ;-)

Haylan Reiss
 player, 147 posts
 Cleric of The Healer
 HP: 20/20 AC: 18
Wed 7 Oct 2015
at 13:08
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
Haylan helped keep Hrantig upright and took notice of what seemed to be a bite mark. Could this disease be spread by insect bites?

Haylan echoed Master Hrantig, "A cure?" Those might have been the finest words he had heard since he arrived in Jobenport. If Master Hrantig was right, he had no doubt that they would be able to create a medicine for the mysterious illness. Lliven's knowledge of herbalism would prove invaluable.

Haylan looked to the others, "Let's collect what we can carry of the clover. Maybe we could even transplant some to near the colony. I don't have to tell you what a difference a potential treatment for the disease would make."
Alys Valdrake
 player, 222 posts
Thu 8 Oct 2015
at 00:33
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
Alys nodded, "If he's on to a cure, then by all means lets get as much as we can manage."  She dug through her backpack and pulled out two sacks.  She carefully set about digging up some of the clover plants; trying not to damage the root system.  She laid the plants on one of the sacks.

"Do you think we should cut up one of these sacks so we can tied the pieces around the roots and dirt to preserve them for the travel back?"
Jaylea Gadris
 player, 138 posts
 Fey-Pact Warlock
 AC-13, HP-16/16
Thu 8 Oct 2015
at 13:50
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
Jaylea nodded as well.  "I'm no herbalist, but it would seem to be worthwhile to recover whole plants as well as clippings."

She glanced at Girard, hoping the druid would confirm that they were handling things properly, before joining Alys in recovering the plants, and wetting strips of sack to wrap around the roots.

When all were satisfied that they had enough live plants, the warlock began to clip stems and leaves from remaining plants, carefully pressing them between the pages of the enormous, mystical book she was bequeathed, to flatten and dry...
The Stars
 GM, 367 posts
 Witness to all that has
 come to pass...
Fri 23 Oct 2015
at 05:41
Re: Chapter 3: Looking For Answers---Up the River
With Hrantig, his animal companions, and samples of the plant in tow, the companions made their way back out of the cave. The trip back to Jobenport was mercifully uneventful. When they arrived, Mistress Corr and Master Tywain met them. The two let them know that they had gotten word from the forward team that the Goblins were preparing to send out a messenger to rally other Goblin tribes to their cause of wiping out the colony. Mistress Corr had made the decision to strike first, and they would be traveling with as many of the guard as possible to launch their first---and hopefully final---assault on the Goblin tribe...