A Single Step.   Posted by StarMaster.Group: 0
StarMaster
 GM, 210 posts
 Outsider
 Storyteller
Fri 17 May 2019
at 02:00
Re: A Single Step
The group sets out once more down the road, heading south along the base of the mountains on the left to the east.

There is no destination in mind--it just seemed as good a direction as any.

Since there is no particular need for haste, the trip is casual and sedate. After stopping for lunch, the trip continues.

The area you've been passing through has been mostly rolling plains... grassy fields, a few hills, an occasional copse of trees.

After passing around one such stand of trees, a strange sight greets you: darkness!

Ahead of you, on the road, is an area of darkness. It appears to be several hundred feet wide, maybe half as high.
Erin
 player, 219 posts
 Human
 Warlock
Fri 17 May 2019
at 14:44
Re: A Single Step
Erin stops dead in her tracks and raises an eyebrow at the sight of the darkness in front of the group. She holds up an arm indicating the others to stop too.

"Well....what have we here? Give me a second while try to see what's hidden with in this darkness."

Raising the other eyebrow she attempts to look into the darkness using her Devil's Sight Evocation.
Elexia Mystchild
 player, 161 posts
 Aasimar
 Monk
Fri 17 May 2019
at 14:56
Re: A Single Step
In reply to Erin (msg # 341):

OOC: my darkvision doesn't penetrate this darkness I am assuming?
Erin
 player, 220 posts
 Human
 Warlock
Fri 17 May 2019
at 22:35
Re: A Single Step
In reply to Elexia Mystchild (msg # 342):



OOC: If it's magical then no. Devil's Sight allows Erin to see in both normal and magical darkness.... just in case normal darkvision can't see in it..

This message was last edited by the player at 22:38, Fri 17 May.

Elexia Mystchild
 player, 162 posts
 Aasimar
 Monk
Fri 17 May 2019
at 23:51
Re: A Single Step
In reply to Erin (msg # 343):

I was talking about Elexia's Darkvision.
StarMaster
 GM, 211 posts
 Outsider
 Storyteller
Sun 19 May 2019
at 08:17
Re: A Single Step
Erin can see into/through the darkness but only up to 120 feet. The area of darkness is clearly farther across than that. Within that 120 feet, however, she can see the road and the area to either side of it, but she sees no people or creatures or buildings or anything that might be causing the darkness.

She knows, however, that a normal Darkness spell doesn't cover that much area.


Elexia's darkvision doesn't penetrate the magical darkness.

Neither does Elban the Gnome's darkvision, nor Brother Raven the Dwarf's, nor Brother Wulf the Half-Elf's nor Sister Kethra the Wood Elf's.

Brother Arykin, Grim Greycastle and Myron Tane are all human, and can't see into the dakrness either.
Miki
 player, 69 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Sun 19 May 2019
at 08:20
Re: A Single Step
"Well, that's not a good thing," Miki says after everyone reports that they are all as blind as a bat as she is.

"Does entering darkness count as enlightenment? Seems to me like it's just the opposite!"
Erin
 player, 221 posts
 Human
 Warlock
Sun 19 May 2019
at 12:30
Re: A Single Step
Erin frowns a little.  She then places her hands on her hips as she stares into the darkness.

"Well, since everyone can't see in the darkness except for me maybe we could go around it? Depending how close we stay to it I can keep watch and warn everyone if there is something moving around in it or report what I see."


Erin looks over at Miki and starts to giggle a little.

"I agree. Somehow I too don't think this enlightenment! More like 'Keep Out.'"

She turns back towards the Darkness, a look of excitement suddenly starts to show in her eyes as she takes a step towards it and stops.

"....So..... I wonder whats is hidden in there.....?"
Elexia Mystchild
 player, 163 posts
 Aasimar
 Monk
Sun 19 May 2019
at 13:47
Re: A Single Step
In reply to Erin (msg # 347):

Elexia wraps an arm around Erin's arm.

" I want to go in there as well. Maybe, another time sweetie. "
Brother Arykin
 NPC, 11 posts
 Human
 Fighter/Monk
Sun 19 May 2019
at 19:11
Re: A Single Step
"This does present a bit of a conundrum," Brother Arykin offers.

"Two or three of us might be in danger, but with ten of us... I do not know of any threat that could handle all of us that can see through magical darkness."

"There does not appear to be anyone in the neighborhood who we can ask about this darkness, such as when it appeared."

"Halruaa is known for its strange and powerful magic, of course, so this could just be some sort of natural... or supernatural... phenomenon. We could, apparently, go around it, but what would be the point of that?"

"As long as Erin can keep us on the road, we should have no problem walking completely through it. The rest of us can use our other sense to detect anything unusual in there. Sound, smell, a change in temperature, a breeze, vibrations in the ground... intuition. Even when we can't consciously detect things, our minds are capable of sorting through information that they receive and warning us as a tingle."

"We should at least hold hands, but I will leave it up to Sister Kethra to decide if she thinks it wise for us to rope ourselves together."

Erin
 player, 222 posts
 Human
 Warlock
Mon 20 May 2019
at 20:41
Re: A Single Step
With her arm still wrapped around Elexia's arm, Erin starts to frown a little. She then turns her head towards Brother Arykin.

"It's a risky plan, and that's assuming we don't run into anything. Or more then one thing. Everyone would be fighting blind, plus we don't know how far this darkness goes. It might only go for a short distance, or go on for hours."

She shakes her head. "I'm not willing to lead everyone blindly into something that might or might not be dangerous."

She pauses for a second.

"However is everyone insists on going on through the darkness I can at least scout a little bit ahead before we all enter it."
Sister Kethra
 NPC, 6 posts
 Wood Elf
 Ranger/Monk
Wed 12 Jun 2019
at 21:37
Re: A Single Step
"By all means, we should tie ourselves together in case there is a break in the ground," Sister Kethra says.

"If the first person, which is Erin, starts to fall in, the second person may also get pulled in, but should have enough time to call out a warning so the rest of us can brace ourselves."
Brother Raven
 NPC, 2 posts
 Half-Elf
 Rogue/Monk
Wed 12 Jun 2019
at 21:41
Re: A Single Step
"In that case, I'll bring up the rear, and Elban can be in front of me," Brother Raven offers.

"Of course, that won't make much difference if something grabs the first person... a dragon or a giant or whatever. But... the rest of us might have time to cut the rope."
Elexia Mystchild
 player, 164 posts
 Aasimar
 Monk
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 01:18
Re: A Single Step
In reply to Brother Raven (msg # 352):

" I will go with you, Erin. "
Erin
 player, 223 posts
 Human
 Warlock
Fri 14 Jun 2019
at 00:27
Re: A Single Step
Erin looks at everyone and suddenly smiles.

"It sounds like it's settled then. We'll tie our selves to a rope and I take the lead."

She then looks over at Elexia and her smile grows even larger.

"With you tied up with me I feel safer already!"

She starts to giggle.
Elexia Mystchild
 player, 165 posts
 Aasimar
 Monk
Fri 14 Jun 2019
at 17:48
Re: A Single Step
In reply to Erin (msg # 354):

Elexia smiles.
StarMaster
 GM, 212 posts
 Outsider
 Storyteller
Mon 8 Jul 2019
at 04:08
Re: A Single Step
The group ties themselves all together in a line and lets Erin lead them into the darkness.

Although she can't see far, Erin has no problem keeping them on the road. She's gone about a hundred yards before she comes to a building off on the right just at the edge of her sight. She can't quite tell what it is, though.
Erin
 player, 224 posts
 Human
 Warlock
Sat 13 Jul 2019
at 23:44
Re: A Single Step
Erin stops and waits for the others to come to a stand still. Getting close and whispering to Elexia who is tied up behind her,

"There is a building just off to my right. I can't tell what it is. I say we keep going. If there is anyone in that building they will have a huge advantage over us. Pass it on."
Elexia Mystchild
 player, 166 posts
 Aasimar
 Monk
Sun 14 Jul 2019
at 04:09
Re: A Single Step
In reply to Erin (msg # 357):

Elexia kisses Erin.

" We are following you beautiful. "
StarMaster
 GM, 213 posts
 Outsider
 Storyteller
Tue 16 Jul 2019
at 21:00
Re: A Single Step
Erin and Elexia pass by the building with the others in tow. After you've gone about another hundred yards, you come out of the darkness... still on the road. The surroundings appear to be the same as they were before you entered the darkness--rolling plains with an occasional copse of trees.
Erin
 player, 225 posts
 Human
 Warlock
Sun 21 Jul 2019
at 10:21
Re: A Single Step
Erin looks around and lets out a loud sigh.

"Shall we continue?"

While she talks, Erin continues to look back towards the darkness, her eyes bright with curiosity. It's obvious that she wants to go back into the darkness and to the building.
Elexia Mystchild
 player, 167 posts
 Aasimar
 Monk
Sun 21 Jul 2019
at 20:58
Re: A Single Step
In reply to Erin (msg # 360):

" I understand and am sympathetic with your curiosity, Erin. But, we must continue for now. "
Erin
 player, 226 posts
 Human
 Warlock
Mon 22 Jul 2019
at 00:43
Re: A Single Step
In reply to Elexia Mystchild (msg # 361):

Erin looks over at Elexia and disappointment crosses her face as she starts to frown.

Suddenly she smiles a huge smile and winks at Elexia.

"You are quite right! We must go forward. Nothing must distract us while on this epic journey."
Elexia Mystchild
 player, 168 posts
 Aasimar
 Monk
Mon 22 Jul 2019
at 01:48
Re: A Single Step
In reply to Erin (msg # 362):

" Maybe after this advemture, the two of us can come back and scratch our curiosity together. "
Miki
 player, 70 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Mon 22 Jul 2019
at 22:17
Re: A Single Step
Once out of the darkness, Miki stops while the rope is untied and glances around at the outer boundary of the darkness, particularly as they walk away from it.

"I think it's circular... maybe spherical," she comments. "I think that means it's been artificially created... as in, by magical means."

"Well, I suppose there is someplace called Shamballah, but it may not be an actual physical location. It was my understanding that it's our journey that will lead to enlightenment. Isn't that what we are looking for?"


She gestures back at the darkness.

"Solving that puzzle could easily lead to enlightenment, but, as you say, we can come back to it."