Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
Ethic
 player, 34 posts
Mon 31 Aug 2015
at 15:18
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
Ethic shifts his grip on his shield nervously and holds his hammer in a low guard ready to smash whatever comes at him.
Westra
 player, 131 posts
Mon 31 Aug 2015
at 15:37
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
Westra moves stealthily (stealth 25) toward the flapping sounds, trying to discern anything with her darkvision in the darkness (perception 19).
Flutterwing
Mon 31 Aug 2015
at 17:30
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
Flutterwing steps forward, off the rough rocks and onto smooth cave floor. Her light penetrates even farther into the cave, but reveals no creatures. She readies a firebolt, should something move toward her threateningly.
Ryudo
 player, 74 posts
Wed 2 Sep 2015
at 13:06
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
Ryudo moves forward toward the darkness as stealthily as possible, looking for the dragon. (stealth 23; perception 21, darkvision)
Airdsgainne
 player, 54 posts
Wed 2 Sep 2015
at 15:50
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
Airdsgainne steps forward with Westra, readying an attack into the darkness.
DM
 GM, 171 posts
Thu 3 Sep 2015
at 16:25
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
Ominously, the darkness approaches the party. This is a deeper darkness, impenetrable even to those with vision beyond light. (The new dark spots on the map are impenetrable to darkvision.) The darkness rolls right over Ryudo, blinding him! (Ryudo cannot see anything. He does, however, know where his party is, partly because he remembers, and partly because Flutterwing's armour-clatter can be heard three leagues away by a deaf man in his sleep.)

(It is now the party's turn. No force of darkness but the force of darkness itself has presented itself. The flapping stopped, so it's not clear where… whatever… might be. Mechanically, for map purposes, if you step into a zone of darkness, I'll adjust your light level appropriately.)
Alwanzatar
 player, 97 posts
Thu 3 Sep 2015
at 16:40
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
Alwan casts magic missile fire bolt on the darkness. 13 vs. AC, 8 fire damage on hit
Westra
 player, 132 posts
Thu 3 Sep 2015
at 16:47
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
Westra continues scuttling forward as stealthily as she can (stealth 17), going a few feet into the area of darkness to her left, but not too far, ready to back up if she needs to.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:48, Thu 03 Sept 2015.

Aldridge
 player, 179 posts
 Bard, Trader
Thu 3 Sep 2015
at 16:51
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
Message contents private.
Ryudo
 player, 75 posts
Thu 3 Sep 2015
at 17:56
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
Ryudo moves west out of the first darkness, and then runs through the second as well.
He yells, "Looks clear past the western darkness!  No enemies in sight yet!"
Flutterwing
Thu 3 Sep 2015
at 18:01
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
Flutterwing charges into the darkness, following Ryudo.
Airdsgainne
 player, 55 posts
Thu 3 Sep 2015
at 20:34
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
Airdsgainne follows the rest through the darkness.
DM
 GM, 172 posts
Thu 3 Sep 2015
at 22:43
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
The voice of Aldrige calls out from the southwest, "Wait! Stop fighting! Let's talk about this! ᛬ᚢᛗᛒᚱᚫᛖᛋ᛬ understands Cloud Tongue, someone start the conversation!" His voice is coming almost from the ceiling.

Meanwhile, the darkness continues to close in toward Westra and Alwanzatar. As it gets closer, the sound of wing beats can be heard. Just then, the two of them are grabbed and lifted into the air. Ethic hears the approaching creature and swings. His hammer strikes something in the darkness, but it gets away with Westra in its grip. (7 damage)

(It is again the party's turn. Westra and Alwanzatar have been grabbed. Their feet are not on the ground and it feels as though they are flying through the air. The party can speak and hear each other fine, but many of the party members are blind in the darkness. Flutterwing's light did not return when she exited the darkness, so many party members have no light at all.)
Aldridge
 player, 180 posts
 Bard, Trader
Thu 3 Sep 2015
at 23:04
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
"᛬ᚢᛗᛒᚱᚫᛖᛋ᛬! I ask that you not hurt anyone! Guys, that goes for you, too, let's talk about this!"

Aldridge shoots a stretch of Dancing Lights where he last heard wings. Their dim light reveals nothing to the bard. Frustrated, he centers the lights around himself to look at his current perch.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:11, Thu 03 Sept 2015.

Ryudo
 player, 76 posts
Thu 3 Sep 2015
at 23:09
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
Ryudo listens for the direction of the wings to be certain. (Perception: 7, nat 1)  Ryudo yells, [Language unknown:  "Reall san but derta Endiilel?  Lo n esear in us ingconear, chch o whi ver ver pr our nefo."]
Westra
 player, 133 posts
Thu 3 Sep 2015
at 23:14
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
Westra bites at whatever is grabbing her (attack 12, damage 11).
Alwanzatar
 player, 98 posts
Fri 4 Sep 2015
at 13:09
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
[Language unknown:  "Be u entno ho ectarehat!"] Alwanzatar shouts, sounding truly indignant. [Language unknown:  "Fo cail wi ce sa tinol. Il paio ta venkoriou p ck?"] [14 Persuasion]

This message was last edited by the player at 16:33, Fri 04 Sept 2015.

Ethic
 player, 34 posts
Mon 14 Sep 2015
at 18:53
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
Ethic turns quickly toward the sound of Alwan's voice, picking his way carefully over the rocky ground.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 18:54, Mon 14 Sept 2015.

DM
 GM, 174 posts
Wed 14 Oct 2015
at 17:40
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
The dragon holding Alwanzatar replies, “[Language unknown:  P hatourrea … ssess inecomall sing, … hendfial. … wheive'eenticbutourhas … redousand. … pean'tollmi il fieiat. Stun latatetra st ateconout … millasul … .]” The dragon's words are not quite of the Cloud-tongue, but near enough to understand some of the idea behind the teeth.

Airsdgainne steps toward the sound of Alwanzatar's voice. His spell outlines the dragon and Alwanzatar in the darkness with a crisp blue light. The effect is unnerving, since friend and foe appear as shapes in the darkness, with no background or frame of reference. (The party does not have disadvantage attacking the dragon (or Alwanzatar :P) and the dragon's location is easily discernable.)

The dragon moves back farther into the cave, biting and clawing at his victim as he moves. (15 damage claw, 13 damage claw, miss bite.) Alwanzatar's outline slumps limp in the dragon's claws.

The party hears scratching from farther back in the cave, the sound of insect flesh being shredded by spear-sharp claws. (11 claw, 11 claw, 22 bite.) The scratching gives way to yelping as the party hears Westra there.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:01, Wed 14 Oct 2015.

Aldridge
 player, 181 posts
 Bard, Trader
Wed 14 Oct 2015
at 18:00
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
"Misappreh-- NOT USEFUL?" Aldridge shrieks indignantly. "The hell is that suppose to mean? WE annoy YOU?!" Aldridge fires an arrow wildly into the darkness in outrage (16 vs. AC, 8 piercing).

"Get back here right now and get me down! YOU OWE ME AN EXPLANATION!" He jumps over the side of the cliff, crawling down the side best he can (13 athletics).

This message was last edited by the player at 18:37, Wed 14 Oct 2015.

Westra
 player, 134 posts
Wed 14 Oct 2015
at 18:09
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
Westra casts Cure Wounds on herself (2nd level - 12 HP). "Little help over here!" she yells, wriggling to try and escape.
Alwanzatar
 player, 99 posts
Thu 15 Oct 2015
at 15:13
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
Alwan groans (1 failed death save)
Airdsgainne
 player, 1 post
Mon 19 Oct 2015
at 18:28
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
Airdsgainne sprints until he has line of sight on the beast, casting Earthbind on it.
Ryudo
 player, 77 posts
Mon 19 Oct 2015
at 18:44
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
Ryudo moves back towards Westra and listens carefully to get her exact location (perception 15)
Ethic
 player, 35 posts
Thu 22 Oct 2015
at 17:49
Re: Chapter 3: Flamestone Echoes
Ethic lights a torch and carefully picks his way toward the sounds of his struggling companions.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:01, Thu 22 Oct 2015.