Scene 19: Thunderbolt.   Posted by Gamemaster.Group: 0
Gamemaster
 GM, 308 posts
 That GM Guy
Fri 9 Sep 2016
at 04:04
Scene 19: Thunderbolt
As the expedition from the Cloud People returned home, weather once again changed for them. Although the winds and clouds continued to lead them towards the Cloud People's village, dark clouds began to form the southern sky. These are first dark clouds seen since the rains which flooded the low lands ended, and that was weeks ago. While traveling, the sky and earth were suddenly illuminated by a single bolt of lightning which struck the southern horizon. The sound which followed seconds later shook the ground so hard that people nearly fell over. Birds and chinchillas fled from bushes all around. Then, it was over. Only the single bolt fell from the sky, and the storm cloud dissipated soon afterward.


The area where the lightning struck is far to the south. With the waters having reseeded for weeks, the plains and the jungle beyond have finally reappeared as land -- soggy land. Although some new ponds and lakes have formed, the bolt clearly landed somewhere in the jungle which the Cloud People used to call home.

When the expedition reached home, there was no gallant homecoming. People were arguing, and children were hiding. The elders disagreed on what message the clouds had attempted to convey. All three elders agreed that something dangerous was seen by the clouds within the jungle. Were the clouds saying "Go here and take a look" or "Stay away"? This was the matter on which the elders could not find common ground. Old Hak felt certain that this message unlike any previous meant a great evil had taken root there. Zan argued that the jungle remained the responsibility of the Cloud People as they were the land's caretakers, and a search of the jungle was wisest. Munia calls both of these men fools and tells them that the message was not meant for the Cloud People but for the whomever across the plains invoked the ire of the cloud spirits.
Vug
 Cloud People, 78 posts
 caveman
 prowler
Wed 14 Sep 2016
at 04:32
Scene 19: Thunderbolt
Vug approached the elders.  "I can check it out and report back whatever evil is hiding in the jungle."
Gamemaster
 GM, 309 posts
 That GM Guy
Thu 15 Sep 2016
at 05:30
Scene 19: Thunderbolt
The volunteering of the newcomer, Vug, brings the argument back into civil tones. The elders size up the young tribesman as they ponder his suggestion. No one is happy with it, but they realize that actually sending someone into the jungle is the only way to settle the matter.

Munia accepts the offer. "The young Vug has bravely offered to search for the place where the thunderbolt struck the ground. This will end the squabbling and the fears. We should all support his decision."

Old Hak looks at the clouds, reading their shapes. He nods his approval.

Zan is accepting but less enthusiastic. "Vug is fast on his feet and quiet as a snake, but he has never set foot in the jungle. I grew up in that jungle. I will lead an expedition there, and Vug will be my second-in-command. Is this acceptable, Vug? Who else volunteers to go with us?"

Mishelei the healer raises his arm. Feel free to add what you like, Mishelei. I am just making certain that you will have a place in the next story when you are ready for it.
Vug
 Cloud People, 79 posts
 caveman
 prowler
Thu 15 Sep 2016
at 09:56
Scene 19: Thunderbolt
Vug nodded, "that sounds wise.  We should go soon, and solve whatever is out there before it gets comfortable."
Neerga
 GM, 188 posts
 Cloud Tribe
 Caster, Crafter
Thu 15 Sep 2016
at 10:00
Scene 19: Thunderbolt
"I need to craft some arrows, but I will go, you need one of our best young warriors on this task.," Neerga said tired of fighting and traveling but she is arguably the best warrior of the younger tribe members. And she was no coward.
Nin-kagina
 GM, 187 posts
 Priestess
 Ritualist, Soothsayer
Thu 15 Sep 2016
at 11:00
Scene 19: Thunderbolt
Nin-kagina rubbed her aching wounds. "If we set out tomorrow, I may be able to go. Tonight, I am tired and wounded, and would like the company and comfort of my wives."
Gamemaster
 GM, 310 posts
 That GM Guy
Fri 16 Sep 2016
at 07:32
Scene 19: Thunderbolt
Zan agrees, "Yes, tomorrow would be better. I want to give the cloud spirits all the time they need to clear that storm away. We will leave when the sun is its highest."
Nin-kagina
 GM, 188 posts
 Priestess
 Ritualist, Soothsayer
Fri 16 Sep 2016
at 08:04
Scene 19: Thunderbolt
Nin-kagina nodded, then turned to Neerga. "My wife, I will need your assistance. There is something I will need made."