Introduction - Recruitment.   Posted by Jason.Group: 0
Maxtera
 player, 17 posts
Sun 6 Dec 2015
at 00:24
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
I turn to see Wendell sitting on the ground holding leg irons in his hands and looking quite indignant.
It seems our new found friend has quite the reputation with the city guard.


I walk towards Wendell, reaching into my shoulder bag to retrieve the note of recruitment. I smooth the crumpled paper out over my chest and hold it out towards the guard.

As the guard takes it from me, I take a knee, look strait into Wendell's eyes and give shake of my head in improvement.

I reach down and take hold of the chains binding my friend, turn my head towards the guard, and rattle them.
Jason
 GM, 27 posts
Mon 7 Dec 2015
at 11:44
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
In reply to Maxtera (msg # 69):

The Guard looks over the note, his face turns from glee to anger as he realises that his catch is about to be freed. "Well looks like your of some importance after all." he says in a huff. "Its too bad you cant keep out of trouble. I'm patient, I'm sure we will cross ways again." He reaches down and unlinks the chains.
Wendell Valdimar
 player, 17 posts
 Telekinetic Psion
 Human
Mon 7 Dec 2015
at 13:43
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
Wendell rubs his ankle and stands slowly.  Putting hand on the guards shoulder "Yes I am, important that is, but pride prevents me from explaining just how amazingly important I am.  History books are likely to put it more eloquently than I ever could.  Well until next time then."  Giving the guard a quick hug Wendell turns and is stopped by the stare from the monk, pausing for a moment he bows his head with a deep sigh.

"Yes I know.  You don't have to say it... I've let you down" waving  a hand at Baerdor "and the big guy too."

"I don't set out to do these things you know." Wendell looks up at the monk "Now I know what you're going to say but please let me finish, this needs to be said."

Wendell pats himself on his chest "Even as a young child I would often feel a burning within this very chest.  For years I attributed this to the potent concoction of Dreyva beans and Vinegar that Mother dearest would put into everything she cooked, the difference is subtle but you see the sensation from the beans will eventually move their way down your chest and then into your stomach - at that point you've got about maybe twenty minutes or so to get somewhere private and downwind because what happens next isn't... very..."

The stare from the Monk stops Wendell again, nodding at his silent friend he continues "No you're right, this isn't the time nor the place.  That's a story we'll save for another day.  Or maybe not at all, you do make a good point, we're probably still a little bit too early into this whole teamwork thing to be sharing stories of that nature."

Clapping his hands together Wendell looks around "Rightyo then, so where are we off to now hmmm?  We may need to walk a little bit slower than usual if that's alright, I tried to use my mastery of the psionic arts to remove the chains before but they must be heavily warded or something as all I managed to do was shoot my boot across the courtyard and twist my ankle in a way that made my eyes water.  I still can't feel any of my toes."
Baerdor Irontoe
 player, 18 posts
Thu 10 Dec 2015
at 08:13
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
In reply to Wendell Valdimar (msg # 71):

Baerdor lets out a loud hearty laugh, giving Wendell a (friendly)slap on the back in the process. "Friend! I don't know how you go from chasing a thief through the market place and back allies of this city to in chains by the local guards." Glancing at the guard in question. But it seems our paths are destined to be intertwined in very interesting ways....

Baerdor quickly studies his two new companion, and ponders a thought....

.....ahh another time. Quick my friends I believe the lords of this place are waiting for us and we have delayed them enough. We have evil to find!

Baerdor marches off.......
Wendell Valdimar
 player, 18 posts
 Telekinetic Psion
 Human
Thu 10 Dec 2015
at 10:08
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
"Well oooff..." Wendell barely manages to keep his feet from the Minotaur's gentle slap.  "There was a lot of running and shouting involved.  I did the running and he" Wendell motions back to the guard "did the shouting.  Hehe ahhh you may have worked out by now that we have something of a history."

With a grimace Wendell trundles after Baerdor, "Ooooh evil huh?  Sounds profitable that does - dangerous but profitable.  And by the Seven Gods I could do with a little gold."
Maxtera
 player, 18 posts
Fri 11 Dec 2015
at 00:18
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
In reply to Wendell Valdimar (msg # 73):

I turn my head nand watch Wendell hobble off after Beardor
Tune back to the red faced guard and retrieve my note.
I tried real hard to keep the laughter in, but as I turn to follow my new friends the laughter spewed out.
Jason
 GM, 28 posts
Wed 16 Dec 2015
at 11:08
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
In reply to Maxtera (msg # 74):

Baerdor stomps off towards what looks like the main building. When you enter past the main gates you see a large courtyard with nobles gossiping with nothing better to do but discuss the politics of the day. To the left you see the stables with horses attended to. Just to the right is the main door. You both decide to walk swiftly to catch up to Baerdor.


This message was last edited by the GM at 11:09, Wed 16 Dec 2015.

Baerdor Irontoe
 player, 19 posts
Wed 16 Dec 2015
at 11:50
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
In reply to Jason (msg # 75):

I present myself and my companions to the guards who I would assume are guarding the main entrance, brandishing my writ in my outstretched hand.

Good sirs I am here with my companions to answer a summons by the Lords of this city, may we be presented to them post haste? Baerdor booms with surprising eloquence (for a minotaur).
Jason
 GM, 29 posts
Wed 16 Dec 2015
at 12:03
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
In reply to Baerdor Irontoe (msg # 76):

The guard which is wearing a more ornate armour than the standard city guard with the crescent Waterdeep logo embedded on the chest reaches out to read writ. he looks over it carefully turns and nods to the other guard near the door "escort these good citizens to the Lords immediately, They have answered our call."

The Guard turns and opens the door and leads the way inside. You follow her in.

Upon entering you see a Large room with multiple columns and pillars draped with banners of the water deep crest. Seated at the end are the Lords of Waterdeep with large windows sitting behind them, sunbeams stream in lighting the hall.

The guards walks quickly down the centre of the hall. She turns and says "stand here I will present you to them"

She walks ahead and announces your presence and purpose.

As you approach you notice that they are all wearing a type of cowl and a mask to hide there identity. You hear one of them say "we have been expecting you"
Baerdor Irontoe
 player, 20 posts
Mon 21 Dec 2015
at 00:43
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
In reply to Jason (msg # 77):

Baerdor nods his head in  acknowedgement "Well meet to you lords of this city, we three have answered your summons." he pauses.....for a moment muttering a small prayer to the spirits.....

OOC: Baerdor being one with nature and the spirits doesn't care much for kings and queens and there politics, but will help for the common good if evil and foul play are lurking around.

"I am Baerdor Irontoe Warden and Guardian....these waving a gesturing hand towards Maxtera and Wendell are my companions, and are at your service."
Maxtera
 player, 19 posts
Tue 22 Dec 2015
at 10:12
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
Blown away with the grace and decorum of such a savage looking beast.
I find myself staring up at Baerdor in admiration and awe.

As he waves a hand towards me I remember where I am.
I place my palms together and bow deeply too the lords.
Wendell Valdimar
 player, 19 posts
 Telekinetic Psion
 Human
Tue 22 Dec 2015
at 14:16
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
Wendell steps forward, clears his throat and starts to speak but all he manages is a nervous mumbled "Well met um gentlemen or gentlewomen or uh whoever...sorry... whomever."

Waving his hands at Baerdor "Ah you've got this, I'm um, yeah sorry what?" spinning quickly on his heel he hobbles over to the Monk and pretends to listen to something the Monk obviously isn't saying.

"Uh huh yep, no I agree, they do look like honest reliable people.  Well no we probably should find out what it is they require from us before we get into the specifics of payment.  Sorry what?  Of course they'll pay in gold but like I said they... What?  Food and women too?  You dirty dog you!  Don't you have one of those vow of no debauchery deals going on?  Look I'm not sure if they'll go for that but I'll ah I'll ask, and by me I mean Baerdor.

Wendell walks over to Baerdor and looks up at the Minotaur "Look this going to sound like a strange request but I think we should... well you see the Monk wants to know if we could, oh dang it!  Never mind we can sort out the specifics later but when, if, no when.  Yes when we pull this off, then I want a parade.  With fireworks.  And cake.."
Jason
 GM, 30 posts
Tue 29 Dec 2015
at 03:13
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
In reply to Wendell Valdimar (msg # 80):

The centre Lord stands and steps forward "We the Lords of Waterdeep, have gathered to purge our city of an ancient evil, One that has plagued this city. We commission you to find the nature of this evil, and destroy it if you are able. Prepare for the dangerous journey. Begin your search below the city. Khelben Blackstaff will meet you out front to lead you to the entrance."

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 12:59, Tue 29 Dec 2015.

Jason
 GM, 31 posts
Tue 29 Dec 2015
at 03:17
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
In reply to Jason (msg # 81):

Meanwhile...

A Globe sits on a pedestal with a vision of the main hall of Waterdeep.

"Master..., They think they have found a solution"

"Patience" a deep voice says calmly.
Wendell Valdimar
 player, 20 posts
 Telekinetic Psion
 Human
Sat 2 Jan 2016
at 11:09
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
Nodding and staring at the floor Wendell stammers nervously "Ah yes we-w-well consider us ahh as you say commissioned."  Putting his hands on his hips Wendell takes a deep breath and composes himself.  "All righty then!" he declares and he strides towards the door.  "I'll go find Khelben and get everything prepared for our impending dangerous journey."

On his way out Wendell pauses beside the guard that brought them into the hall, "Uh hi.  Do they, um, do they always wear the ehh..." he coughs nervously and then stammers"The ma-ma-masks?  It just that they're so... well you know... creepy."
Baerdor Irontoe
 player, 21 posts
Fri 8 Jan 2016
at 09:41
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
Baerdor chuckles briefly at wendell and then bows deeply before turning around and following him out of the room to find Khelben.....

Breathing deeply Baerdor calls apon the guardian spirits of the earth to fortify him for the trials that lie ahead.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:05, Sat 09 Jan 2016.

Maxtera
 player, 21 posts
Sat 9 Jan 2016
at 21:34
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
I bow to the masked lords
turn and follow my companions
Jason
 GM, 32 posts
Sun 17 Jan 2016
at 11:09
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
In reply to Maxtera (msg # 85):

As you all turn around to leave the Lord explains "This great city is counting on you, Good luck down below" and resumes his seat next to the others.

The Guard escorts you back out of the room and quietly nods to Wendell with a little giggle.

You reach the front entrance. On the steps a large cloaked figure stands with open arms. "Ahh friends I see you answered my call, it is good to see you again. Although I am unfamiliar with you good sir" says Khelben looking at the large Minotaur. "I am also expecting Sir Calus. He was meant to join you on the adventure. have you not seen him" as he looks around puzzled.
Baerdor Irontoe
 player, 22 posts
Mon 18 Jan 2016
at 03:57
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
In reply to Jason (msg # 86):

Well meet, I am Baerdor Irontoe, and you must be Khelben remarks Baerdor with a slight bow towards the robes figure. I am afraid I know not of this Sir Calus you speak.

pausing Baerdor remembers the dead adventurer he stumbled upon that was been eaten by wolves.

..but this summons letter I found on a dead adventure that had been killed by wolves. Is it possible that this dead man was Calus? The letter spoke of a noble cause, so with the blessing of the spirits I decided to answer the summons since he could not.

Pausing Baerdor remembered one more detail...also...there was something else about this man, I caught a glipse of his spirit and it was strong and noble, and as such as are my traditions I buried his body in a cairn not a half days march from here.....and guided his spirit into the next world.....

May the goddess guide you Sir Calus...
Jason
 GM, 33 posts
Mon 18 Jan 2016
at 10:32
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
In reply to Baerdor Irontoe (msg # 87):

Khelben looks saddened. "I am deeply troubled by this news, Sir Calus was a good man and will be deeply missed." He looks at the three people before him "Thankyou friends for answering my letter. This mystery has plagued me for some time now, hopefully now we have a solution to this mess."

He starts to walk towards the Castle gate "Come, I will lead you to the sewer gates. From there we can hopefully find out what this is."

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:32, Mon 18 Jan 2016.

Jason
 GM, 34 posts
Fri 29 Jan 2016
at 11:44
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
In reply to Jason (msg # 88):

Khelben leads the group north past the keep to the street of silks. You see a long stretch of road with a canal in the centre. He points to the stairs leading down. "Come these steps lead down into the canal and to the entrance." He guides you along the side path with slow moving water streaming through the middle as he mentions "There have been stories of kobolds raiding the nearby houses and wares. this will be the best place to start."

Eventually he leads you to a well built gate.



He moves quickly and opens it with a city key. "Quickly now, this will lead you into the sewer. Your adventure starts here, good luck my friends"said Khelben as he steps back to let you in.

You glance into the dark tunnel and see steps leading down into a murky sewer with red brick walls and a cobble stone floor covered in green moss and muck.

OOC: Perception checks please

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:52, Fri 29 Jan 2016.

Wendell Valdimar
 player, 21 posts
 Telekinetic Psion
 Human
Fri 29 Jan 2016
at 12:51
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
OOC: 23:49, Today: Wendell Valdimar rolled 20 using 1d20+7 ((13)).

OK so it appears that I may have added a whopping 17 to my roll rather than the appropriate and more realistic 7 because (choose all that apply):
  • I was tired.
  • Misread the number on teeny screen of my iPad Mini.
  • Thought I was playing a level 20 character.
  • I obviously don't know what I'm doing.


This message was last edited by the player at 11:14, Tue 02 Feb 2016.

Baerdor Irontoe
 player, 23 posts
Fri 29 Jan 2016
at 13:13
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
00:13, Today: Baerdor Irontoe rolled 14 using 1d20+8.  perception check.
Maxtera
 player, 22 posts
Mon 1 Feb 2016
at 13:55
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
In reply to Jason (msg # 89):

00:53, Today: Maxtera rolled 18 using 1d20+7.  Perception check.

Jason
 GM, 36 posts
Sat 6 Feb 2016
at 13:31
Re: Introduction - Recruitment
In reply to Maxtera (msg # 92):

As you are entering the entrance to the sewer Maxtera notices a shadowy figure approach the edge above. Wendell and Baerdor continues to walk in but sees Maxtera look up and earns their attention.

Suddenly a streak of fire soars down narrowly missing Khelben and the shadowy figures jump down to attack. You all begin to turn around but Khelben shouts "NO, you must go. Complete your mission". Khelben quickly casts a spell and you all feel a thunderous wave hit you with tremendous impact which pushes you violently back into the darkness of the sewers.

The last thing you remember is everything going black.