Prelude: Nod's Quest.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Dungeon Master
 GM, 73 posts
Wed 19 Aug 2015
at 01:05
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod feels a burst of energy as he makes his decision.  He focuses on speed, and begins to move a bit more efficiently by hurtling slightly with every few steps to avoid some of the drag caused by the tall grasses that whip and sting even through his clothing.  His only hope is that the wolves hunting prowess pulls through for him.

Five more deer zip passed him and just then he hears a clatter of heavy meaty thumps followed by excited yips, snarls, and growls.  He looks back to see several deer tumbling through the grass, having been tripped into each other.  The wolf pack are on top of their prey instantly, claiming their kill quickly and efficiently.  Their fur bristles and their tails flip as they bite and tear at the fallen deer.  Nod is largely spared the gory scene as it is mostly below the grass line.

As Nod continues to run he see's the enormous dire wolf sitting on his haunches behind his smaller brethren.  It's ears are up and it seems to be watching Nod with mild curiosity as he scampers off through the prairie.  The remainder of the deer still on their feet flash past him, as they do Nod can smell their musty aroma of fur, sweat, blood, and heated breath.  They leave an easier path through the grass, making the running a bit easier.  It crosses Nods mind that at that very moment it could have been him being ripped to shreds.
Nod
 player, 38 posts
Wed 19 Aug 2015
at 01:20
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
By this point Nod is nearly spent. He begins to look for someplace he can take refuge. Nod looks for a tree, a ditch, a bluff, a hill, a hole, or anyplace where he can hide and rest.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 74 posts
Wed 19 Aug 2015
at 01:39
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
The deer herd regroups as they slow to a trot.  They veer off to the north before disappearing out of sight.  Nod settles down to catch his breath and scans the area looking for some place of refuge.

About one hundred yards to the southeast there's a rocky rise standing atop one of the rolling hills.  Trees are smaller and very sparse in the plains, but scanning the horizon reveals a dozen or more.  There are also areas that look a bit lower, but their view is obstructed by waving grasses.
Nod
 player, 39 posts
Wed 19 Aug 2015
at 03:27
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod heads southeast, toward the rocky rise. If nothing else, it may be more defensible.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 75 posts
Wed 19 Aug 2015
at 10:50
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod makes his way up the hill and climbs the rocky outcropping.  The top looks something like a prehistoric crown with boulders jutting upwards in a ring, the center soft and grassy.  From here, he has something of a vantage point over the area.  He can see for miles in all directions and Nod is momentarily awed by the beauty of the landscape.  It can be seen from here that the forest line makes an irregular slanting curve that runs from the southwest to the north east.  He thinks he can make out a couple possibly man made structures several miles south of here, and perhaps some cultivated plots of land.  Pip wiggles free of his pouch and finds a shady spot where he begins to pant.  Nod knows he's thirsty.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:30, Wed 19 Aug 2015.

Nod
 player, 40 posts
Wed 19 Aug 2015
at 20:03
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod has had enough excitement for a little while and decides to hide here and rest. He looses his water skin and takes several gulps. Nod pours a small quantity into his hand and offers it to Pip.
Nod monitors any further action in the direction of the wolves and deer.
Nod
 player, 40 posts
Wed 19 Aug 2015
at 20:03
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod has had enough excitement for a little while and decides to hide here and rest. He looses his water skin and takes several gulps. Nod pours a small quantity into his hand and offers it to Pip.
Nod monitors any further action in the direction of the wolves and deer.
Nod
 player, 40 posts
Wed 19 Aug 2015
at 20:03
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod has had enough excitement for a little while and decides to hide here and rest. He looses his water skin and takes several gulps. Nod pours a small quantity into his hand and offers it to Pip.
Nod monitors any further action in the direction of the wolves and deer.
Nod
 player, 40 posts
Wed 19 Aug 2015
at 20:03
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod has had enough excitement for a little while and decides to hide here and rest. He looses his water skin and takes several gulps. Nod pours a small quantity into his hand and offers it to Pip.
Nod monitors any further action in the direction of the wolves and deer.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 76 posts
Wed 19 Aug 2015
at 21:25
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod settles down and finds a comfortable place to sit so he can keep an eye to the west and stay mostly out of sight.  He listens to the breeze and the hum of the bees and his heart slowly settles down.  He starts to breathe slower and more deeply and he reflects the mornings events.
Nod
 player, 44 posts
Thu 20 Aug 2015
at 13:56
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Once Nod has his breath back, he sits for just a few more minutes, and then begins to collect his things. Nod hops up, and makes his way down the outcropping. He stays low, and makes his way back into the grasses. Nod peeks over the swaying sea of dried blades on occasion, just to keep an eye on things. He makes his way further south, toward what appeared to be civilization.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 78 posts
Thu 20 Aug 2015
at 17:22
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
After about an hour of travel, Nod approaches the cultivated land before him.  There's a small log cabin and several fields filled with various grains.  A dusty dirt road runs between the fields up to the house.  Nearer the house there are a couple fruit trees and a viny patch growing very large pumpkins.  There appears to be a couple dogs standing under the trees and they are staring in Nod's direction.  He see's no signs of people.
Nod
 player, 46 posts
Thu 20 Aug 2015
at 19:08
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Although Pip is likely fast enough to evade a couple of farm dogs, Nod, thinks it better to avoid getting them riled in the first place. He holds open the large seed sewer's bag (formerly a belt pouch, but the seed sewer's bag has more flavor) and catches Pip mid leap. Nod heads off down the dirt path toward the house. He pulls a couple of small pieces of dried meat from his ration bag, just in case the dogs need a little distraction.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 81 posts
Thu 20 Aug 2015
at 19:58
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Pip hops into his bag, spins around a couple times and pokes his head back out.  His ears at up in alert and he watches the dogs nervously.  The moment Nod sets foot onto the farm road, the two dogs step out into the sun and begin barking.  They appear to be some type of herding breed, pointy ears, curved tails, and they are piebald brown and white.

Nod continues up the road and as he nears the house, Pip pulls back.  The dogs approach, trotting up barking still.  Nod tosses the meat to the dogs and they cautiously take and wander off to enjoy their prize.

He begins to circle around the house.  Its a typical farm house.  There's a pile of neatly chopped fire wood and an axe buried in a stump.  Various farming tools and implements hang from the side of the log cabin.  There is a noticeable absence of horse or wagon.
Nod
 player, 49 posts
Thu 20 Aug 2015
at 23:04
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod moves toward the front of the cabin, taking any opportunity that presents itself to peer into any cracks or windows. He moves to the front door, and gives a polite but firm knock.

"Hello?..." in the common tongue.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:08, Thu 20 Aug 2015.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 84 posts
Fri 21 Aug 2015
at 01:10
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod sees no light or motion inside the house.  Soon the dogs are coming around the house wagging their tails in anticipation for more treats.
Nod
 player, 50 posts
Fri 21 Aug 2015
at 01:24
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Seeing no one home, Nod makes his way back to the road, and turns east.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 85 posts
Fri 21 Aug 2015
at 01:32
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod gets back on the farm road.  The dogs follow him to the edge of the farm and sit, watching him walk away.  This is by far the easiest travel he's had thus far on his journey and he is making much better time.  The road veers south again and after a quarter of a mile or so, a side road runs off to the east where he see's farm house.  There is another homestead a mile or so ahead and to the west.  The main farm road here is obviously heavier traveled and continues south.
Nod
 player, 51 posts
Fri 21 Aug 2015
at 02:03
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod decides to check one more farm house for anyone to give him directions. Nod heads east, once again, toward the farm house.
Farmer Jeb
 NPC, 1 post
Fri 21 Aug 2015
at 20:06
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
As Nod approaches the farm, he sees a man in a wide straw hat picking tomatoes.  The farmer stands upright and stretches his back.  He removes his hat and scratches his head.  "Ho there master elf.  Don't see yer kind round these parts much.  The names Jeb.  What can I help ya with?"  He tosses Nod a tomato.

This message was last updated by the player at 20:06, Fri 21 Aug 2015.

Nod
 player, 52 posts
Fri 21 Aug 2015
at 14:59
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod catches the tomato, and inspects it briefly. Sorry to bother you, sir, but, as you mentioned, I'm not from these parts, and I'm having a bit of a time finding my way. Could you direct me toward the nearest town where a Elf could get a bottle of wine, and a good night's sleep? No tucks the tomato into his ration bag without looking away from the farmer.
Farmer Jeb
 NPC, 1 post
Fri 21 Aug 2015
at 20:04
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
He scratches his chin and looks up...  "Well...  If'n yer lookin' fer a bottle o' wine and a soft bed befer night fall, you'll wanna go to the Traveller's Stop Inn.  That would be straight south till ya hit the trade route, then head west."  He looks Nod up and down.  "You might be in luck.  There's some sort of travelling exhibit goin' on over there.  If'n yer into that sort of thing."  He slaps his hat back on his head and kneels down, going back to work."If'n ya head east, you'll eventually hit Oldfen.  It's a small city and prolly has just about anything else ya might need.  But you'll never make it there by tonight."

This message was last edited by the player at 20:05, Fri 21 Aug 2015.

Nod
 player, 53 posts
Fri 21 Aug 2015
at 23:52
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod listens intently to the directions, and when the man is finished, Nod smiles at him politely. "Kind sir, I am indebted to you. May yours harvest be bountiful" Nod tips his hat, turns, and heads up the farm path back toward the road, headed south.
Farmer Jeb
 NPC, 2 posts
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 00:11
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
He waves turns back to his work.  "Safe journey master elf."  Nod puts foot to dust and follows the farm road west to the crossroads, and then turns south.

As he travels, Nod feels uplifted to be back in civilized lands.  The first leg of his journey is behind him now and the road before him much safer, for the day at least.  He passes several more farms along the dusty farm road.  Off in the distance he begins to see the plateau that he remembers from the map.  It looks like a rusty red ribbon bordering the entire southern horizon.

After another thirty minutes or so he see's the trade route ahead.  Coming up the road from the west is a man riding a beautiful buff horse.  He has a long bow on his back and a rapier at his side.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 89 posts
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 02:11
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod is but a young apprentice wizard venturing out into the world.  His actions and the actions of his friends, however seemingly insignificant, will shape the fortunes of all of Golarion for good or bad.  The road will not be comfortable.  The road will not be safe.  But the road will reveal if they are destined for greatness or tragedy.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:38, Sat 22 Aug 2015.