Prelude: Nod's Quest.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Nod
 player, 25 posts
Thu 13 Aug 2015
at 00:48
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod catches himself on a low branch, and hangs on with both hands. He looks down, under his left arm to see how deep the hole is. Even before he gets his eyes focused on the bottom, Nod also strains to hear any kind of noise not being made by himself. A particular attention to noises Pip makes are of most interest.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 55 posts
Thu 13 Aug 2015
at 02:07
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
As Nod hangs from the tree branch next to the pit, he feels the sharp dried twigs crack and crumble against the tender skin of his wrists causing no small amount of pain.  Even so, he manages to hold perfectly still and listen as he looks intently into the black hole.  Seeing Nod's reaction, Pip follows suit and stands silent, ears up in curiosity.

Through the creeping of tree frogs, the low rumble of flowing rock and mud can be heard from deep within the pit and the soft earth at the bottom heaves and recedes almost as if it were breathing.  The air seems warm rising out of the loose soil and begins to stink of sulfur.
Nod
 player, 26 posts
Thu 13 Aug 2015
at 16:16
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod, begins feeling for a foothold. Years of study and tower life has cheated him of climbing experience. Nod does his best to climb out of the precarious situation.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 56 posts
Thu 13 Aug 2015
at 20:43
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
The last thing Nod wants is to fall in a sink hole in the middle of this forest all alone.  He stays calm and surveys the situation.  He knows his intellect is his strongest asset, so he plans out his escape route.  One branch at a time, he slowly and methodically rights himself and works his way to safety.
Nod
 player, 27 posts
Thu 13 Aug 2015
at 22:59
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Feeling fortunate to have survived this encounter, and grasping a finer appreciation of the forest's hidden dangers, Nod makes his way well clear of this sink hole and begins to plot his course forward. Before pressing on, Nod digs for his rope, and ties one end of the length around his waist. He coils the remainder and loops it over his shoulder. Probably better to be prepared for any future encounters of a sinkhole nature.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 57 posts
Thu 13 Aug 2015
at 23:34
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
After about thirty minutes, the forest opens up a bit giving Nod more room and easier travel.  There is a bit more light filtering down through the canopy, and the sound of the forest begins to change.  Instead of the constant creeks and buzzes of frogs and insects, he begins to hear more twitters and chirps of birds and squirrels.  He feels a gentle breeze wafting in from the south and notice the familiar smoky smell of burning wood.  Looking upwind to the right, he sees the smoldering remnants of a campfire and a ghostly white cloud of smoke trailing off through the trees.  Cryptic white symbols have been painted onto the trees surrounding the small clearing.  They are easily recognizable as druidic symbols.  As Nod approaches, he begins to smell the slightly pungent aroma of bird droppings.  Looking around he now sees black feathers strewn about the periphery of the scene.
Nod
 player, 28 posts
Fri 14 Aug 2015
at 01:49
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod approaches the clearing cautiously. [Language unknown:  "Isndai?"] Nod waits and listens for a moment to see if anyone answers.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 58 posts
Fri 14 Aug 2015
at 11:44
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Holding perfectly still, Nod listens intently.  He hears the creeps and chirps of the wildlife in his immediate vicinity.  He hears the occasional pop and crackle from the dying coals of the campfire.  Off in the distance he hears the distintive "Caw Caw" of crows.  But nobody answers.
Nod
 player, 29 posts
Sat 15 Aug 2015
at 13:27
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod briefly searches the campsite for evidence of the previous occupants. Specifically looking for mean remnants, discarded supplies, broken tools, etc.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 59 posts
Sat 15 Aug 2015
at 14:37
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Sprinkled in a pile next to the campfire, you find a dusting of dried leaves that have a strong floral scent.  Behind a tree, a crude paint brush has been discarded.  It crafted from a broken tree limb and a mop of some sort of fur has been tied to the end.  It is covered in some sort of white paint that smells earthy.
Nod
 player, 30 posts
Sat 15 Aug 2015
at 14:52
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Finding nothing physical of value, Nod turns his attention to the mystical energies. Nod concentrates on his vast academic knowledge of spellcasting and magic in various forms. Nod looks at the various bits of evidence and attempts to see if any of these things are the conspicuous spent materials from spellcasting (Spellcraft: my skill =10)
Dungeon Master
 GM, 60 posts
Sat 15 Aug 2015
at 15:30
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest


The ceremony conducted here was both conjuration and divination in nature.  Perhaps the black feathers were from creatures summoned?  Either way, this was a very powerful ritual and required several casters working together for it to be successful.  Presumably druids.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:37, Sat 15 Aug 2015.

Nod
 player, 31 posts
Sun 16 Aug 2015
at 14:02
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod jots down a few quick notes, and gathers a sample of the spent components, and wraps them in the folds of a piece of parchment. Nod begins to consider the challenges ahead, and decides he has to move on. Nod makes a clicking sound to get Pip's attention, and moves off to the southeast.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 62 posts
Sun 16 Aug 2015
at 17:26
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
After another thirty minutes of travel, the old forest gives way to the young.  Life seems more vibrant here.  The younger trees cannot monopolize the resources like their older counterparts and a wide array of undergrowth plants spread between the trees.  Nod also begins to see evidence of a more diverse animal population as well... including mosquitoes and other biting insects.

Quite irritated an very hungry, he trudges on.  He begins to see the remains of a not so recent logging operation.  Many very large but half rotted stumps dot the landscape.

Finally, another thirty minutes of travel and the forest gives way to rolling prairie.  Nod is bathed in sunlight under a perfectly clear blue sky and the grass roars with chittering and buzzing.  Swarms of bees and butterflies dance over patches of yellow and red and purple wildflowers.  Fly catcher birds dart and dive through the swarms.  Nod finds a great deal of relief to be free of the forest, but what now?

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:48, Sun 16 Aug 2015.

Nod
 player, 32 posts
Sun 16 Aug 2015
at 20:30
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod stretches his arms out to his sides and lets his palms brush the tops of the waving grasses. He smiles as Pip jumps up again and again to briefly see above the grass and makes minor course corrections. Nod checks his bearings, and his crude map to see if he can find a point of reference.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 63 posts
Sun 16 Aug 2015
at 20:53
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
The map shoes that there is a road running east and west several miles south of you.  It's not clear how many miles, but on that road near the edge of the forest there is some type of building and quite a bit further to the east along the road is some sort of fort?  The structure near the forest seems closest.  His ultimate goal of Falcon's Hollow Nod knows is to the North but that will be a much longer journey and he still needs to recruit some help for his mission.  A guide to get him across the Darkmoon Plains safely avoiding any geologic mishaps might be a good idea as well.
Nod
 player, 33 posts
Mon 17 Aug 2015
at 21:25
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod takes a moment to weigh his options, and decides a snack might help him clear his head. He sits on a large downed tree trunk, and digs for the bag of snacks he put together last night. Nod finds an apple and takes a bit. He picks a small piece of skin and flesh off and offers it it Pip. Nod finishes the apple, and chucks the core into the sinkhole, and listens to see if he can hear it hit the bottom.

Nod gathers himself, and continues south in an attempt to reach the south road, and some sort of civilization.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 67 posts
Mon 17 Aug 2015
at 22:35
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod continues his journey southward, with the Arthfell Forest looming to his right.  As he carefully chooses his path, he drags his legs through the hip high grasses and Pip bounds through the prairie to avoid the dense thatch.  He catches up to Nods legs and yips.  Nod instinctively offer his belt pouch and he leaps in and coos with appreciation.


Nod perks his ears when he hears some unusual noise coming from the forest.  The animal sounds he has become used to hearing silence and a strange continuous thrashing sound that seems to cover a wide section of the forest begins to grow, getting louder as if getting closer, and getting closer quickly.  Just as Nod begins to come to terms with the moment, he begins to feel the ground begin to rumble beneath his feet.
Nod
 player, 34 posts
Tue 18 Aug 2015
at 00:34
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Before he is even able to identify the danger, Nod decides he doesn't want to face it right here, in this spot. Nod begins to take large leaping steps away from the forest trying to avoid pursuers, and simultaneously spending as little time in contact with the ground as possible, in the even that is decides to go elsewhere.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 68 posts
Tue 18 Aug 2015
at 00:53
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod is able to make three great leaps away from the forest when he see's a faint cloud of dust carrying dancing leaves in the air as it rolls out from the trees.  At that very same moment dozens of birds burst from the trees and one deer darts from the forest running full speed.  Nostrils flaring, red crapes cover it's face and shoulders.  Then three more.  Then five.  All different ages and sexes of deer, some having no antlers and others have all different sizes.  They charge directly away from the trees, flying out into the prairie.

The first deer zips passed Nod just to the south and more thrashing and crashing noises rage from the forest.  He also begins to hear growling and snarling noises from within the trees.
Nod
 player, 35 posts
Tue 18 Aug 2015
at 01:07
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Survival instinct bleeds directly into Nod's current actions. He takes straight to a flat out run. Nod concentrates on big breaths, looking out for obstacles, and trying to pull his shield free from his back, in the event he has to face whatever is coming from behind him.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 69 posts
Tue 18 Aug 2015
at 01:27
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod begins to run as fast as he can away from the trees, but the tall grass slows his progress a bit.  He feels so slow as three more deer fly past him.  Just then, a crashing sound and the rest of the herd, almost a dozen deer emerge from the forest.  They are immediately followed by a pack of wolves.  The wolves appear to be led by a much larger wolf that is covered in rows of large grey spines.  The wolf pack is hot on the tail of the herd of deer, snarling, snapping, and growling at their heels.  Dust is flying and the ground is shaking as this wild chase thunders through the tall grass in Nod's general direction.
Nod
 player, 36 posts
Tue 18 Aug 2015
at 01:49
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Nod knows he's outnumbered and in mortal danger. He figures the best chance is to not be the first thing caught. Nod looks back over his shoulder and tries to estimate the distance between himself, and the slowest of the deer.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 70 posts
Tue 18 Aug 2015
at 01:58
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
It appears as though the deer nearest deer to the wolves is about 200 feet away from Nod at the moment that he checks.  That distance is closing about 27 feet per second.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:26, Tue 18 Aug 2015.

Nod
 player, 37 posts
Wed 19 Aug 2015
at 00:23
Re: Prelude: Nod's Quest
Realizing that all the action is well outside the range of all his remaining spells, Nod, lowers his head and pours the last of his energy into running for his life.