AKA: Talking /is/ a Free Action.   Posted by Terradyne.Group: 0
Terradyne
 GM, 75 posts
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 22:39
AKA: Talking /is/ a Free Action
You head towards the Necrontyr compound, raised to their specifications from pieces lying around. Not quite what they are used to, perhaps, but it is rather better than they would have had otherwise.

Most of them remain somewhat bitter about their situation as a whole, sixty million years of imprisonment grating, yet also ingraining behaviours. They often find themselves performing odd acts, simply because they have done so for so long that they have passed far beyond habit. None of it is serious, perhaps, though their numbers may well be.

Since they arrived there have been no children, and perhaps there will never be. They are aging slowly, in a way that you are not.

"Ah. It is you." says Mirsele, as she meets you at the gate. One of the Necrontyr that you recovered, she is one of the more normal - by human standard - of the rather morose species, even if they are somewhat better than they used to be.

"I understand that you have succeeded in your nonsense research?" she asks, cocking her head to one side. Being something broadly akin to an applied cosmologist - even if apparently a terrible one - she does hold something of a bias against warp-based disciplines.

This message was last updated by the GM at 07:06, Wed 09 Sept 2015.

Maya Adderson
 GM, 37 posts
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 22:43
AKA: Talking /is/ a Free Action
"Nonsense it may be, but when the galaxy's gone mad, it's usually prudent to figure out how they're going to try and cheat"  Maya agrees, rolling her eyes as she responds to the poke.  "They've apparently gotten rather good at it, Arthur sent word back that they tried a basilisk hack on him that very nearly burned through the null fields we had in place.  I've taken some time to sketch up some better responses, but..."  She sighs, throwing up her hands.  "It's like trying to bail out a sinking ship with a spoon, the best I can do so far is impose at least some semblance of order in controlled conditions.  Though hopefully that'll expand as time goes on and I start being able to synthethize better tools"
Terradyne
 GM, 76 posts
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 22:55
AKA: Talking /is/ a Free Action
She clicks her tongue a few times as she laughs. You're still not entirely sure how the translation effect has lingered, though it is extremely helpful that it has, even translating down to the idiomatic level. Compiling a translator otherwise would have been a pain.

"Yes. I've been thinking about that, actually." she pauses, shuffling her feet back and forward nervously. "I've talked it over with Jorest, and we're pretty sure we can try and construct something that will work better." she stops for a moment, looking uncomfortable. "Our people supposedly made some pretty great strides in it, before, well..." she trails off, the subject of her race's end not really something that any of them want to go into in any detail. "But we can do it - I'm sure we can."

Having seen their work you're not entirely sure about their ability to carry through on it. They're sloppy, over-ambitious and mediocre intellects...but they know a lot more about this than you do, and there's a chance that they might succeed.

"We, uh, just need access to some of the pieces that you brought back." she blinks, giving the equivalent of a nervous grin. "...and maybe if you could go and find some more?"
Maya Adderson
 GM, 38 posts
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 23:06
AKA: Talking /is/ a Free Action
"Well, there's plenty of stuff lying around from our various bits of gallivanting around places that would probably be wiser to avoid"  Maya agreed.  "And you and yours do have a better understanding of the fundamental theories involved.  I mean, I can't just open our vaults full out, but I can certainly put together a project group to solve these problems, and get access to these supplies while we're at it"  She adds after a moment's consideration.  "The big problem of course is power output--even if that's a problem that we'll resolve soon enough once we've got our own homegrown Dark Energy Reactors developed.  I've got a couple ideas of my own too, probably between your education and all the data we've collected, we should be able to come up with a few reponses..."
Terradyne
 GM, 77 posts
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 23:30
AKA: Talking /is/ a Free Action
"Great!" she starts, before wilting slightly, rubbing the back of her head. "Oh, right. We've got to actually do the work first." she laughs, nervously. "I'll start writing up a proposal already. It'll be just like back home..." she blinks again, pausing. "Well, hopefully without the eternal imprisonment again..."

Ahead you spy one of the guards making his rounds - performing the only task that he really feels comfortable doing, especially knowing that he's keeping the last of his people safe.

Phrinx stands ahead of you, staring at a projected hologram that he has been slowly constructing over the years. It resembles a cityscape, of sorts, though the architecture is strange. Pyramids, obelisks. In some ways it vaguely resembles that of some of the truly ancient Terran civilisations - though in other ways it is simple enough to realise that the shapes are basic, and among the easiest to construct. Someone with enough engineering knowledge and cultural inertia might carry the rest.

Whenever he is not here, he seems simply to wander, occasionally directing the others to some task or other he feels must be completed. But for a leader, he does very little in the way of actual leading.

Perhaps the one who has adapted the best has been Orense, the baker. She has taken with gusto to rebuilding her old workshop, along with a specific kind of oven that she is trying to rebuild from scratch.

The fact that it is a part of some funerary customs is perhaps unsettling, but she is at least also undertaking more normal baking tasks, using more conventional ovens. While she has had some degree of difficulty adapting to the different ingredients, she has gradually got better at making something better than merely edible.
Maya Adderson
 GM, 39 posts
Sun 23 Aug 2015
at 07:13
AKA: Talking /is/ a Free Action
"Well, yes, that's generally something to be avoided when at all reasonably practical" Maya agreed.  "Let's just try to keep things under control though, especially if we're going to be puttering around with forbidden science"

She made small talk for a time, before excusing herself and moving towards Phrinix's hologram.

"It's kind of a strange coincidence I think"  She begins, looking at the cityscape in the...  Memorial, was it?  "Back when my race was still confined to our homeworld, our own ancient architecture tended to resemble the ones you've got displayed here.  Crafted from stone for the most part, because that's all we had in those days that would last the press of years.  Most of them were still standing even when we left--preserved as historical monuments when possible"

She shrugs.  "Just goes to show, good engineering and a whole lot of resources can make up for plenty of other disadvantages.  How are you holding up?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:14, Sun 23 Aug 2015.

Relay GM
Sun 23 Aug 2015
at 22:44
AKA: Talking /is/ a Free Action
"Adequately." he says, sparing you little more than a glance. He remains as maddeningly abrupt and cryptic as ever, almost as difficult to interpret as the monuments he recreates.

"It is unsurprising that your race would create such. Many do, so far as I have learned." he pauses, looking at you for just a few seconds. "Yet most do not hold to this, instead finding some foolish hope for the future."

"My people did not find that amongst the stars. Instead, we realised that the only way to live forever was through memory." he gestures at the image before you. "I will ensure that we are remembered as we were, not as...those things."

"You would do well to ensure your own remembrance." he says, once more resuming the light-painting with a surprisingly delicate hand. "The Eldar have, I suppose. They
crafted their legacy in their own image. Ensured that none shall forget them, or cease cursing their names."

He smiles, coldly. "It is a dim pleasure to know that others hate them as I do, but one nonetheless."

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 06:10, Mon 24 Aug 2015.

Maya Adderson
 GM, 40 posts
Sun 23 Aug 2015
at 22:53
AKA: Talking /is/ a Free Action
"The STC Program was supposed to be that"  Maya mused.  "Fat lot of good that did us.  An archive of all of our knowledge and study on every colony as we spread across the stars, and every bloody one of them was lost.  I'd suspect foul play if it wasn't for the fact that the Age of Strife seemed to pre-select in favor of the most backwards and superstitious settlements of the species, across the entire galaxy it seems."  She shakes her head.

"Even now, we're busy cleaning up after the legacy of those who came before.  I think it's pretty clear at this point that you can pretty much tie just about every disaster to the Old Ones having no sense of long-term consequences, churning up the Warp to such a degree that it actively hates everything where it probably used to just be crushingly indifferent.  Though those so-called Star Gods didn't really help matters.  But I don't really have time for hate, as therapeutic as it might be.  Too busy trying to keep this last little flame of reason intact when half the galaxy would snuff it out, and the other half would try to assimilate it."
Terradyne
 GM, 78 posts
Mon 24 Aug 2015
at 06:14
AKA: Talking /is/ a Free Action
"Hm." he mutters, glancing at you once again. "Perhaps you may not have time for it, but I have time for little else." He stares at one part of the image, blinking several times before erasing one small section, starting over from scratch. "Forgive me." he mutters, though not to you.

He sighs. "Was there some other reason you came to speak to me?" he asks, though he seems less abrasive than usual.
Maya Adderson
 GM, 41 posts
Mon 24 Aug 2015
at 06:32
AKA: Talking /is/ a Free Action
"Partially checking up, partially to let you know that Mirsele and Jorest are evidently interested in seeing about collaborating with some R&D with some of the recovered artifacts from that trip into the planetoid near the tail end of the recent expedition.  I figured if it helps keep them out of trouble, I'll give them the approval and try to keep a lid on the more obvious potential disasters--as you're the closest thing to an authority figure of your enclave, I figured it would be polite to give you the heads up, and the reassurance that I'll be keeping a close eye on that to prevent anything going particularly out of hand."
Terradyne
 GM, 79 posts
Mon 24 Aug 2015
at 22:33
AKA: Talking /is/ a Free Action
He shuts his eyes for a moment. You're pretty certain that he's heard more than a few insane schemes from the pair of them over the course of their imprisonment. Even if they did somehow manage to assist in getting you out, they're still a little too eager to stretch talents that aren't quite big enough for the tasks they want to undertake.

Still, you have a robust support staff that should keep them from doing anything too bad. And in the worst case, you'll probably get a premonition to stop them before they accidentally blow up the planet.

"I suppose it will keep them busy." he says, voice perfectly even as he puts down the stylus. "They have been very willing to assist anyone who will ask...or not ask."

Despite being as animate as a statue right now, this is the most you've got out of him that isn't condescension in years. It could be a good sign - or the first stages of some kind of mental breakdown caused by inane science.

"If you could find some way to keep them busy for longer, then I would appreciate it."

He pauses, shifting uncomfortably. "They have also been discussing...breeding." he says, clearly quite unhappy at discussing this matter. "Whatever else happens this must not be allowed to occur." and he shudders, presumably at the thought of what their hypothetical child might end up doing.
Maya Adderson
 GM, 42 posts
Mon 24 Aug 2015
at 22:36
AKA: Talking /is/ a Free Action
"...  I see" Maya nodded after the concept had a moment to sink in.  "I'll try to keep them too busy to think on those matters.  That's...  Not a combination of traits that would go over well--for anybody."
Terradyne
 GM, 80 posts
Tue 25 Aug 2015
at 07:41
AKA: Talking /is/ a Free Action
"No. It would not." he agrees.

"If you can keep them away and busy for long enough for me to complete this without interruption, then perhaps I will inform you of what it actually is."

***

You see one of the others planting seeds in a garden. A few of them have taken it up, their own homeworld having had something of a dearth of flowering plants.

They may not have evolved for them, but they certainly seem to be able to appreciate their aesthetic qualities.

"Ah, Maya." hails Jorax, the engineer, as he approaches along the path. "I've been meaning to discuss your applied sciences, actually."

"Now that you're moving beyond the theoretical applications and into areas that I have a little more experience with, I wonder if we shouldn't start design work on a facility for more advanced physical phenomena?"
Maya Adderson
 GM, 43 posts
Tue 25 Aug 2015
at 16:10
AKA: Talking /is/ a Free Action
"It's always something I've been hoping to do, but time and resources are at a premium"  Maya agrees.  "Now that we can start producing the right fuel, getting the reactors to go with it should be just a matter of time, and then we can get into some of the interesting stuff."  She can't help but grin at that bit.  "Even just the most basic applications sound incredibly useful.  Dangerous too, but that's no different then any spot of engineering.  Should be easy to justify now that we've hit a bottleneck in Warp Studies and our defenses are good enough to resist all but the highest level of attacks."
Terradyne
 GM, 81 posts
Tue 25 Aug 2015
at 23:04
AKA: Talking /is/ a Free Action
"Ah, yes." he says, moving his head from side to side. "I'm sorry I can't be more help there, but I was responsible for the spatial anchoring, rather than the warp-suppression." He shrugs, or something close to it. "I still feel a little bitter towards Althetezol, but I guess he's dead now and I'm not."

He clicks a few times. "I have some preliminary information based on what I can recall from a good few million years of thought. If you don't mind, I'd like to assist in both the design and construction."

"It would make me feel like I'm doing something. I was always told I was meant for great things, but I'm not sure this is quite what they meant..."
Maya Adderson
 GM, 44 posts
Tue 25 Aug 2015
at 23:15
AKA: Talking /is/ a Free Action
"I'll take all the help I can get honestly, Mirsele and Jorest wanted to help too...  And I expect I'll be spending more time nursemaiding them than making much progress, so I'd be glad for some extra backup in that."
Terradyne
 GM, 82 posts
Wed 26 Aug 2015
at 07:32
AKA: Talking /is/ a Free Action
"Oh, they're not that bad." he says, smiling. "Most people just see their enthusiasm and think there must be something wrong with them."

"I don't think they've ever actually hurt anyone with their antics." he laughs, glancing around the place as he shepherds you a little further away from the compound.

"Listen." he says, looking around with a slight tinge of nervousness. "There aren't that many of us left, and that isn't going to change very quickly, if it does at all."

He sighs. "We had our own methods to extend life, but none of the people here really know about them. I was wondering if you could get someone to take a look at adapting the ones you have?"

"It's a bit of a long shot, maybe, but it might buy us a hundred years, and not have to worry so much about just dying of age."
Maya Adderson
 GM, 45 posts
Wed 26 Aug 2015
at 16:04
AKA: Talking /is/ a Free Action
"Yeah, that's reasonable"  Maya took a glance around.  "We've made a few useful breakthroughs recently that should work pretty well.  Another hundred years at least should be doble, possibly more, but it's hard to tell without the necessary data.  Still, I should be able to squeeze something in."
Terradyne
 GM, 83 posts
Thu 27 Aug 2015
at 21:51
AKA: Talking /is/ a Free Action
"Thanks." he says, as he twists his hands together. "It hasn't really sunk in, for most of us. After being alive that long, death just...stopped being something we thought about." he pauses. "Well, at least in more than an abstract sense."

He sighs, and looks around. "They're still acting that way, really. We escaped that cage, but they brought the walls with them. They got so used to living in a cell that they built their own."