The Ghost.   Posted by Fatemaker.Group: 0
Fatemaker
 GM, 53 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 05:11
The Ghost
The ghosts swarm.
They speak as one
person. Each
loves you. Each
has left something
undone.


Did the palo verde
blush yellow
all at once?

Today’s edges
are so sharp

they might cut
anything that moved.


The way a lost
word

will come back
unbidden.

You’re not interested
in it now,

only
in knowing
where it’s been.

Fatemaker
 GM, 54 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 05:12
The Ghost
The walk back to the Base was, thankfully, uneventful. People quickly withdrew into houses, hovels, sheds, anything they could, as though the inevitable power struggle between Epics were in minutes, not sometime in the unknown future. Barry and Kaylee were eventually left alone in the dying edges of the Bone Slums, watched keenly by a few greedy ravens.

At the base, they were greeted with a cheerful automated 'Hello!' from SUE. Kaylee, exhausted and starving, inhaled a few rations, including a portion of the Greenhouse produce that had returned with the Reckoners yesterday, before collapsing into a bed.

Barry remained awake for slightly longer, and, painfully aware of how their numbers had dwindled, weighed his options.

"SUE, I need a list of the Ozymandias Epics. I need their powers, their weaknesses, everything you have," he ordered, "And anything you have on plans with Reverie confronting Cataclysm."

With that, he followed Kaylee's lead and retired for the day, leaving the AI to her task.

*      *      *

It is the next day. You wake up from your sleep, still not used to the stone walls and dim light of your new home. Your bed is warm, and a welcome escape from the harsh reality of the world. But you both have obligations.

What do you do?

Barry
 Reckoner, 144 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 05:27
The Ghost
In reply to Fatemaker (msg # 2):

Barry wakes up from a relaxing rest. He remembers the unsuccessful events of the past 48 hours and groans in response. Maybe things will be better today, he hopes. He gets dressed eager to see what SUE has put together which is hopefully more than what he'd gathered the last time he asked SUE to find info. After making his way to the main console, he takes a seat.

"Good morning SUE, were you able to put together any of the information I asked for last night?"

This message was last edited by the player at 05:28, Thu 17 Mar 2016.

S.U.E.
 NPC, 43 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 05:46
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 3):

Hello Barry.

I have information regarding the High Epics and most powerful Epics currently in Ozymandias, and have compiled relevant information regarding the new Epic, Discord.


A series of files appear, each labeled with names of Epics, some which you recognize, some which you do not; Cataclysm, Midas, Evergreen, Escher, Blight, Miasma, Pandora, Moreau, Timebomb, Berserker, Artemis, Apollo, Whiteout, Oblivion.

Another series of files contain a bold 'DECEASED' next to the name; Prodigy, Corona, Cipher, Smokescreen.

Three files stand alone, the unknown Epics; Reverie, Silhouette, Discord.

You are not allowed to access any of Devon's plans. I told you she would not like you snooping. That is rude.

SUE paused, and as though as an afterthought, said,

The signature I recognized yesterday has moved. What does that mean?
Barry
 Reckoner, 145 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 05:57
The Ghost
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 4):

"I'm not sure SUE," Barry responds. "That's the signature that was similar to Devon right? And is Saria still out there?"
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 107 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 06:07
The Ghost
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 4):

Kaylee wakes up later than she would have liked. She'd hoped to have gone hunting this morning, but she knows she needed the rest and the base appears to have enough rations to last the next few days.

She quickly showers, dresses, and joins Barry where he's seated in front of the main console. She listens to the information that SUE rattles off.
S.U.E.
 NPC, 44 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 06:07
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 5):

Yes, the signature matched the earpieces issued to Reckoners. They are not common.

SUE pulled up a map of Ozymandias. A green dot blinked on the far edge of District 2.

Saria's mobile is here. It is the prison.
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 108 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 06:21
The Ghost
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 7):

Kaylee initially snorts in amusement. Goddamnit, Saria. Then the weight of the situation dawns on her and she immediately becomes irritated. "Fuck. How'd she manage that?"

This message was last edited by the player at 06:22, Thu 17 Mar 2016.

Barry
 Reckoner, 146 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 06:31
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 8):

"Well it's better than dead I guess..." Barry remarks.

Barry begins eyeing the webcam to stare down SUE. "Are you sure you can't give us some of that information?" He asks. "There's got to be something in there that Devon would want to leave with us just in case she went missing."
S.U.E.
 NPC, 45 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 06:57
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 9):

I follow directions. Devon told me to keep her information safe. She is the leader. She knows best.

SUE responded, an offended air to her sterile voice.
Barry
 Reckoner, 147 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 07:12
The Ghost
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 10):

"Okay," Barry responds. "I'll stop there concerning that information. But can I see the files on Discord, Reverie, and Silhouette?"
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 109 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 07:22
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 11):

Kaylee looks to Barry, angry, "Aren't you the least bit concerned about what the 'prison' entails? We can't have Saria giving out information. I think that might be more of an issue right now."
Barry
 Reckoner, 148 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 07:30
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 12):

Trying to keep his cool after the unresponsiveness of SUE and Kaylee's anger, he responds, "I know that that's a problem but I don't want to go out solely to free Saria. It would be a waste of a day don't you think?" Barry clicks around looking at epic files. "Other than knowing that Reverie is on the move, we don't have any leads.  Also, Saria has  been gone overnight, what difference is 20 minutes going to do?"
S.U.E.
 NPC, 46 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 07:37
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 11):

EPIC NAME: DISCORD (David Suravak)

POWER PORTFOLIO: (presumed)

Emotion manipulation- Discord appears to possess the ability to manipulate emotions to evoke great amounts of fear. This does not appear to be directional, but exhibits a 'blanket effect.'

NOTES: Discord's powers are similar to the Siren (extreme powers of attraction and persuasion) and Exodus (emotion manipulation over a broad spectrum, specializing in revulsion and anger).

Discord claims to be 'chosen by Reverie.'

KNOWN WEAKNESS: None yet observed. Unlikely to be High Epic.

THEORIZED WEAKNESS: None.

PREVIOUS HISTORY: Discord appears to have been a long time resident of Ozymandias, living in District 3 since its establishment. He appears to have no family aside from a younger sister, Haely, who is currently employed at the District 3 Greenhouse. He was a public supporter of Reverie.
S.U.E.
 NPC, 47 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 07:50
The Ghost
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 14):

EPIC NAME: SILHOUETTE

POWER PORTFOLIO: Unknown

Theorized: Signal broadcast- Silhouette demonstrated an ability to transmit to mobiles and radio.

NOTES: Silhoutte made a simultaneous call to every functioning mobile and radio in Ozymandias while sending her message for Reverie. It is unknown if this is part of her power portfolio, the workings of another Epic, or unknown technology.

KNOWN WEAKNESS: None yet observed.

THEORIZED WEAKNESS: None

PREVIOUS HISTORY: Unknown
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 110 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 07:57
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 13):

Kaylee is still annoyed, but composes herself to absorb the information SUE flashes on the screen. There isn't too much to go on there, but
"Haely" stands out to her. Kaylee ignores the matter of Saria (for the moment), and says to SUE, "Tell me more about Haely."
S.U.E.
 NPC, 48 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 07:58
The Ghost
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 15):

EPIC NAME: REVERIE

POWER PORTFOLIO: (presumed)

Mental manipulation- Reverie appears to possess the ability to severely affect the mental capacities and decisions of individuals. It is unknown what the full extent of this ability is, but seems very powerful.

NOTES: Reverie has been gathering followers, both human and Epic. She has expressed intent to overthrow Cataclysm and seize Ozymandias. She has offered electricity, food, medicine, and power to those who support her. This has not yet been confirmed.

KNOWN WEAKNESS: None yet observed.

THEORIZED WEAKNESS: None.

PREVIOUS HISTORY: Unknown.
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 111 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 08:02
The Ghost
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 17):

Kaylee adds, "How do we know Silhouette's an Epic?"
Barry
 Reckoner, 149 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 08:06
The Ghost
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 17):

Barry examines the info and is dissapointed by the lack of info on any of their weaknesses. "I think we're still lacking information in general to do anything big. Scouting out info is in order."

Looking at Kaylee, "I'm not sure she's an epic but we have someone we can go to for more information on Epic's. I think we can go there today to expand our data as well as deal with the matter of Saria. Thoughts?"

This message was last edited by the player at 08:09, Thu 17 Mar 2016.

S.U.E.
 NPC, 49 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 08:08
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 16):

Haely Suravak.

She and David Suravak, Discord, share the same parents and the same last name. Her birthdate is after his. I have assumed that they are siblings and that he is older than her.

Their parents died two years ago. I found them in the District 3 clinic files.

She is on record as working in the Diatrict 3 Greenhouse.

But those records lie. They say- people never leave once they start work, but they always hire more. That does not make sense. 


SUE relays the information and offers the final comment with genuine befuddlement.
S.U.E.
 NPC, 50 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 08:16
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 18):

I assumed Silhouette was an Epic based on the broadcast. Mass transmission and perfect reception is a characteristic of technopath Epics. Cipher had this ability...

SUE seems to take your question into consideration and then adds,

And Silhouette is a silly name.
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 112 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 08:19
The Ghost
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 20):

Kaylee's brows furrow. "What? Are you saying that they die inside?"

And to Barry, "Yeah, that'd probably be a good idea. We should try to find Devon too if we can."

This message was last edited by the player at 08:38, Thu 17 Mar 2016.

Kaylee
 Reckoner, 113 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 08:24
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 22):

Kaylee smirks at SUE's last comment. "That's true. But I figure epic or not she wouldn't want her real name broadcasted to all of Ozymandias. And there's no human technology capable of broadcasting like that?"

This message was last edited by the player at 08:42, Thu 17 Mar 2016.

Barry
 Reckoner, 150 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 08:41
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 23):

"Can you broadcast like that since Silhouette and Cipher have similar abilities?"

This message was last edited by the player at 08:46, Thu 17 Mar 2016.

S.U.E.
 NPC, 51 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 08:51
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 24):

Me?

SUE squeaked incredulously.

I have never tried...I do not know.
Barry
 Reckoner, 151 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 08:54
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 24):

"Okay then, i was just wondering. we might have to look at that later." he responds.

Barry wants today to be a little more organized so they need to establish a plan. He spins around on his chair to face Kaylee to figure things out.

He looks at Kaylee, "So we want to check for Devon, maybe break out Saria, and visit Rosalee for info on Epics" he points out. "What she we do first?"
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 114 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 08:58
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 26):

"Uhhh," Kaylee considers. "I think we should see if we can find Devon first. She'll probably have a better idea of what to do. And who's Rosalee?"
Barry
 Reckoner, 152 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 09:03
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 27):

"Shes a trademaster in district 2 who gathers info on Epics"
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 115 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 09:06
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 28):

Kaylee nods once in acknowledgement. She looks back to the monitor and asks SUE, "Did you get anything else from Devon or Saria after we last talked to Saria?"
S.U.E.
 NPC, 52 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 09:19
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 29):

The signature I found has moved. I do not know if it is Devon. It matches but I do not know for sure. I miss Devon. I miss Theresa and Ryan too.

I did not hear anything from Saria. Her mobile has not been activated or destroyed. It is at the prison, so she is most likely there too.

What did she do to end up in jail? Saria is silly but she is not bad. Bad people go to jail, Theresa said.

As SUE spoke, a split screen with two different regions of Ozymandias appeared.

One showed the same blinking green dot as earlier-Saria's mobile in the prison nicknamed 'the Box.' The second one showed a red dot migrating from the same spot you had been traveling to the day before, and into an unknown residential area in the District 3 border- the signature SUE had matched with Devon.
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 116 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 09:26
The Ghost
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 30):

"We should go after Devon first. She's the most useful to us and the mission," Kaylee tells Barry.
Barry
 Reckoner, 153 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 09:27
The Ghost
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 30):

"Didnt Saria go looking for Devon? Do you think someone set a trap for us? it would explain why Saria is captured."
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 117 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 09:29
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 32):

Kaylee shrugs. "Can you tell me exactly what happened to Devon?"
Barry
 Reckoner, 154 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 09:36
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 33):

"We were escaping the Ggreenhouse the last time we saw her. I went deeper in the Greenhouse with Wednesday, who ended up following along for some reason, to get Saria out when enforcement started showing up. She decided to go snooping on her own and ran into Haely, who you just red about, and she wanted to study her. Eventually she died when she attempted to keep her alive, then as we tried to leave the building it happenned. There were still enforcement running around and when we openned the door, she told us, on our mobile, to leave as she ran past the doorway to distract Enforcement. We havent seen her since"
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 118 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 09:45
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 34):

"Hmmm," Kaylee frowns. "That's the last time I saw her too. Now that I'm thinking about it, you might be right about the trap. If Devon was up and well, I figure she'd try to contact us. Did her signature disappear completely yesterday?"

"And Haely... She died? If that just happened a day ago, it might explain Discord's sudden appearance. It could've been some kind of trigger for him."
Barry
 Reckoner, 155 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 09:49
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 35):

"Her being a trigger would make sense. Back to Devon though, do you want to check out the area knowing it could be a trap? or we could go straight to Saria knowing that Devon may be there too. But, if Devon's earpiece is a trap, we cant count out the idea that Saria's mobile may also be a trap."
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 119 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 09:57
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 36):

"How would you suggest we break them out of prison? I think our best bet would be to try to find Devon. If things seem fishy in the area, we turn back and go for Rosalee."
Barry
 Reckoner, 156 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 20:43
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 37):

"Alright, let's pick out some gear. We want some winter wear, some currency, and weapons of some sort. How stealthy do we want to be?"
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 120 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 21:15
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 38):

"How stealthy can we be?" Kaylee counters. She doesn't really see how the two of them could sneak through the streets of Ozymandias without going unnoticed.
Barry
 Reckoner, 157 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 21:40
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 39):

"Well, do we want to go around with rifles and crossbows out in the open or hide smaller weapons to look less suspicious?"
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 121 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 21:44
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 40):

Kaylee makes a face. "I think the answer to that's pretty obvious."
Barry
 Reckoner, 158 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 22:20
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 41):

Barry grins back, "Okay, lets skip the basics then. Is there anything else you think we should bring?"
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 122 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2016
at 23:31
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 42):

"We should disguise ourselves again," Kaylee points out.
Barry
 Reckoner, 159 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 00:21
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 43):

"Sounds like a plan. We should dress similar to the people in the district were heading to to blend in."
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 123 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 00:29
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 44):

"Sure. Which district is that? Three?"
Barry
 Reckoner, 160 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 00:34
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 45):

"Yes since Devon's signature is in 3. Rosalee is in 2 but we should be fairly safe there. Let's bring some rations with us too when we head out. We don't know how long it will take us."
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 124 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 00:44
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 46):

"Good idea. Let's get ready to go then."
Barry
 Reckoner, 161 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 01:20
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 47):

"Let's do it," Barry pops out of his chair and walks over to the supply room, grabbing some seeds, a couple pistols, a knife, spare ammo, rations, and a 'Boost'. He places the weapons and seeds on his person and everything else in a pack.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:50, Fri 18 Mar 2016.

Kaylee
 Reckoner, 125 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 04:41
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 48):

Kaylee does the same as Barry, grabbing a ration, some seeds, her weapons (which include her ice axe, her bowie knife, and a pistol with extra bullets). She stores all the accessories in a backpack and hides her weapons beneath her winter gear.
Barry
 Reckoner, 162 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 05:59
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 49):

For attire, Barry picks grabs his mask and looks for proper district 3 attire. He searches for beat up garments and furs, which Barry recalls seeing people wear during the trip to the greenhouse. Clothing is quick to find. Barry happens to come upon the right clothes and finds a full set for Kaylee aswell. Before heading out, he hands off some clothes to Kaylee and gets dressed in his own set of District 3 fashion.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:27, Fri 18 Mar 2016.

Fatemaker
 GM, 55 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 06:47
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 49):

The two Reckoners set off towards the city, bid farewell by an ever-cheerful SUE. The air was biting, as always, and fog hung like a shroud over the entirety of the nestled city, held there by forces of nature other than the Epics.

A sort of nervous tension ran through the people of the districts; you could feel it as you moved into District 3. Children didn't play in the streets, instead replaced by ravens and a few vagrants looking to take advantage of any more chaos. Your choice of attire gives you the air of two Wilders on their way to the Tradepost.

You hear a myriad of hushed rumors- that Reverie has an army of Epics at her command, that Blight's anger at Discord is unrivaled and he has killed any civilians too slow to leave his path, that an Epic struck the Greenhouse and there are openings for employment, that Cataclysm is too powerful to allow such an uprising, and contrarily, that Cataclysm deserves to be overthrown.

The earth rumbles slightly under your feet, as though the ruler of Ozymandias is irritated with their comments.

You have almost reached the location of the signature. It is within a house on the edge of Districts 2 and 3, where Blight's influence is thinnest. Here the people are rarely afflicted with the blightmarks and houses are more sturdily built- some even have electricity, even if they're not much more than cabins. This one appears occupied.

The dot blinks.

What do you do?

Barry
 Reckoner, 163 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 06:54
The Ghost
In reply to Fatemaker (msg # 51):

Barry whispers over to Kaylee, "It's a house? I'm guessing if it's a trap, she got caught knocking on the front door. "
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 126 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 07:47
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 52):

Kaylee nods once in agreement. "Any windows?"
Barry
 Reckoner, 164 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 07:53
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 53):

Barry takes a look at the cabin checking for a window, "there's a small one on the right side, want to take a peek while I watch your back?"
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 127 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 08:05
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 54):

"Yeah," Kaylee says. She grips her knife inside her right pocket, ready to whip it out if necessary. She could draw it almost as fast as she could blink.

The slender girl approaches the window as stealthily as possible and peers inside.
Barry
 Reckoner, 165 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 08:10
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 55):

Barry follows behind to watch their surroundings, holding a pistol,ready to fire, hidden under his coat.
Fatemaker
 GM, 56 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 08:21
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 55):

Through the small window, you can see two figures. One is a child, likely not much more than seven years old, and the other a teenager impressively blightmarked with horn-like protrusions along their hairline. The child and teen appear to be sorting through a myriad of items on the rough wood floor.

The cabin appears to be one room and scantly furnished. Candles are the dominant light source. 

Kaylee
 Reckoner, 128 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 08:27
The Ghost
In reply to Fatemaker (msg # 57):

Kaylee returns to Barry and relays what she saw inside the house. "Any thoughts? I'll try to get a better look."
Barry
 Reckoner, 166 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 08:31
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 58):

Barry thinks to himself trying to make sense of things "Why would Devon's signature come from the house? SUE said it was an earpiece right? Let's back away from the house while we think of what to do next."
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 129 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 08:34
The Ghost
In reply to Fatemaker (msg # 57):

"She might be in there. I didn't see the whole place," Kaylee points out.
Barry
 Reckoner, 167 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 08:39
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 60):

"SUE it's an earpiece right? Can you transmit any sound going through it to our earpieces?"
S.U.E.
 NPC, 53 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 09:04
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 61):

Yes, I can. SUE replies smugly.

 After a moment, Barry and Kaylee hear snippets of conversation coming through.

 "What about...that's not worth...you told me to take it! 'Tech always sells...' I know..."

A voice startlingly similar to the childish SUE filters through through from Devon's earpiece, half of a conversation.
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 130 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 09:09
The Ghost
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 62):

Well, that definitely didn't sound like Devon. The snippets of conversation Kaylee hears lead her to believe these kids found - or stole - the earpiece and are looking to sell it.

Kaylee asks SUE, "Devon's signature moved from yesterday, right?"

This message was last edited by the player at 09:11, Fri 18 Mar 2016.

Barry
 Reckoner, 168 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 09:10
The Ghost
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 62):

"It sounds like these people may have just picked up the earpiece. Im thinking it might not be a trap."
S.U.E.
 NPC, 54 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 09:20
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 63):

Yes.

SUE replayed the small animation of the moving dot from deeper in District 3 to the location it's in now.

From the earpiece, you hear a surprised squeak.

"This one activated...thought you said..."

A muffled sound of movement later and another, deeper voice spoke.

"Shut up...deactivate...Pack it."

The line went dead and the small dot indicating the signal feed froze.
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 131 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 09:23
The Ghost
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 65):

Growing angry, Kaylee marches to the front of the house and pounds on the door.
Barry
 Reckoner, 169 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 09:25
The Ghost
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 65):

Shit... Barry takes cover ducking at the side of the building just in case the inhabitant decide to do anything rash.
Horns
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 09:36
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 67):

A few moments pass before the door opens slightly. A chain lock runs across the gap between the door and frame.

Peering through the opening is the teen you saw earlier, now sporting an oversized hat to hide, at least for the most part, their blightmark horns. With that feature hidden, it's easier to focus on other traits, like their blue eyes, their smattering of freckles across a feminine face, and the pistol pointed at your gut.

They seem to relax slightly when they see you're not who they were expecting, but don't lower their weapon.

"Who the fuck are you?"
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 132 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 09:47
The Ghost
In reply to Horns (msg # 68):

Kaylee glances to the gun at her stomach but doesn't feel much fear. She doesn't think this kid has the guts to kill her, but even if they did, Kaylee's not afraid of death. Still, she takes a deep breath and tries to compose herself so she doesn't spook the kid into shooting her. She says evenly, "I might ask you the same thing. You have something of mine."
Barry
 Reckoner, 170 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 09:48
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 69):

Nice approach.
Horns
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 09:51
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 69):

"If you're so worried about it, you should have kept better track of it," they snapped, "Sorry lady, this isn't lost-and-found."
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 133 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 10:02
The Ghost
In reply to Horns (msg # 71):

Kaylee's eyes narrow. So this is how it's going to be. "Let me in or my partner will blow your friend's brains out." Kaylee indicates the child inside the house with a quick glance over the teen's shoulder.
Horns
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 10:18
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 72):

The teen's face paled, freckles standing out like pepper on a napkin. They pulled the gun out of the way and started stammering,

"No, please don't do that, I mean there's not much here, I'm sorry for taking it. We just need to get by, and yesterday people just left stuff in the streets..."

They unlatched the chain and let Kaylee into the spartan room. As soon as she was inside, the teen shut the door with a defined 'click.'

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:28, Fri 18 Mar 2016.

Kaylee
 Reckoner, 134 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 23:44
The Ghost
In reply to Horns (msg # 73):

That was easy.

Kaylee's eyes wander over the cabin's shabby interior. She doesn't see Devon's stuff immediately but she knows it's there.

She almost feels bad for taking advantage of the two kids - they really do seem like they're just trying to get by. But Kaylee and Barry need answers and they wouldn't get them by being friendly.

Still, she makes an effort to lighten her tone and says, "I need to ask you some questions." Her voice will never really loose the harsh edge it'd had since childhood and the words come out gruffer than she'd intended.

As an afterthought, Kaylee tunes Barry into the conversation by calling him on his mobile and muting his end.

Directed to the teen, Kaylee demands, "Who are you?"
Em
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 00:00
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 74):

Despite Kaylee's attempt at congenial small-talk, the occupants of the house remained guarded. The teen spoke with caution.

"My name's Em. That's Kenzie," Em gestured towards the still-motionless child.
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 135 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 00:08
The Ghost
In reply to Em (msg # 75):

"Ok," that's not really what Kaylee had been looking for.

"This... business," Kaylee gestures to the few items still remaining on the floor and the frightened child. "Is it just you two? Or do you work for someone?"
Em
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 00:32
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 76):

"Just take your stuff and go," Em grumbled.

Behind them, Kenzie snapped back to reality and unceremoniously emptied the knapsack onto the floor. Small devices and an assortment of accessories tumbled out. Among the items you can see clothing, jewelry, a shoe, some outmoded mobiles, and one more book.

Em spoke again, a little louder, "We're just scavengers."
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 136 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 00:43
The Ghost
In reply to Em (msg # 77):

Kaylee frowns. That's not the answer she'd been anticipating, but Em's words seem sincere enough to her. Kaylee shakes it off and asks, "Who were you expecting to be at the door?" She'd seen the teen visibly relax at the sight of a stranger - an odd reaction, if you ask Kaylee. She gauges Em's response more closely this time.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:48, Sat 19 Mar 2016.

Barry
 Reckoner, 171 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 00:57
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 78):

Em appears to tell the truth as far as Barry can tell be words alone.
Em
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 01:25
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 78):

Em's face morphs from defensive to bewildered.

"Haven't you heard that there's Epics on the loose? Blight's been prowlin' the district for two days, and Midas' supposedly out too," they bluster through names, "And then there's the new ones, and nobody knows anythin' about them! And there're lots more scary vultures out there than little old us fightin' for the scraps," they blurt with the same ruffled enthusiasm that they had given after Kaylee's initial threat.

They continued after taking a pause to breathe, "Compared to those fuckers, I'll take the sight of you any day."
Barry
 Reckoner, 172 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 01:28
The Ghost
In reply to Em (msg # 80):

The mention of Blight reminds Barry to make sure he doesn't run into trouble while he's outside. He examines the surrounding area.
Fatemaker
 GM, 57 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 01:41
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 81):

Barry scans the area but cannot discern anything out of place. A raven fixes him with beady eyes from atop a nearby cabin and lets out a rough 'CAW'. The smell of smoke and snow wafts through the air, mixing with the musty fur Barry is currently wearing.

For now, the streets are quiet.

Barry
 Reckoner, 173 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 02:27
The Ghost
In reply to Fatemaker (msg # 82):

Listening in on the conversation, Barry still doesn't notice anything weird.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:28, Sat 19 Mar 2016.

Kaylee
 Reckoner, 137 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 04:08
The Ghost
In reply to Em (msg # 80):

"Hmm," Kaylee believes Em. The nervous teen doesn't appear to be lying.

"Alright. You found an earpiece. Can you take it out for me?" This Kaylee directs to Kenzie.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:11, Sat 19 Mar 2016.

Kenzie
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 04:21
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 84):

The small girl opened her mouth as if to respond, but before any sound left her mouth, a sharp and precise pattern of knocks rang through the cabin.

Em jumped, then made a motion for Kenzie to get the door. Kenzie scampered to the door and opened it a fraction to peer out. When she spoke, her voice was high and bubbly, a direct contrast with her rough appearance.

"Oh, hello, Mr. Wednesday."
Wednesday
 Reckoner, 48 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 04:42
The Ghost
In reply to Kenzie (msg # 85):

"Hello, you must be Kenzie." Wednesday smiled towards the girl. "I am here to pick up the goods."
His eye turns up, searching the cabin for other signs of life.
There should be Em, and . . . someone else? It sounded like they were talking to someone.
"Anyone else here? I would absolutely hate to be surprised." he says with a playful snarl.
Barry
 Reckoner, 174 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 05:19
The Ghost
In reply to Wednesday (msg # 86):

Barry is surprised and annoyed by the mans presence. Goddammit, this geezer again? There's no way hes not stalking us. Is he trying to acquire our equipment? "My bad, didn't see him coming," Barry whispers over the line.
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 138 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 05:43
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 87):

At the sight of Wednesday in the door frame, Kaylee immediately whips out her gun and points it at the old man. "You," she snarls. "I remember you. Why are you here? Are you following me?"
Em
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 06:09
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 88):

Em looked thoroughly flabbergasted at the exchange.

"You know each other?"

When Kaylee brandished the pistol, they yelped again and shouted, "Wait! Wait! He's the one who's suppos' to take the stuff! Don't shoot, please don't shoot! I'm sorry, Mr. Wednesday."

They frantically began stuffing items back into the knapsack, cursing under their breath the entire time. They warily approached Kaylee with a small device in one hand and the knapsack in the other. Em handed the bag to Kenzie, who had again frozen, and took a couple prods before accepting it. She mutely offered it to Wednesday.

"Here's your thinger," Em said, holding out the small device to the bristling Kaylee, "What'd you need it for anyway?"
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 139 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 08:38
The Ghost
In reply to Em (msg # 89):

Kaylee says to Em, eyes never leaving Wednesday, "I want to know where you found it."
Em
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 08:40
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 90):

"Just east of here, left in the snow like everythin' else," Em stammered in reply.
Wednesday
 Reckoner, 49 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 08:42
The Ghost
In reply to Em (msg # 89):

"You should, it isn't like we haven't had at least two conversations in two days." Wednesday smiled down the sights of the gun aimed at him. "Now would you kindly put that away, I am here to conduct business with these fine folk."
Casually pulling his watch out, "And your partner can stop trying to sneak up behind me. You really should be careful of doing the same trick twice. Especially with me around."

Addressing the Em and Kenzie, "Why yes, we met two days ago. I hope they haven't threatened you, that might not be the smartest move for them." Wednesday smiled gently, looking towards them. "What is it? And don't tell them anything more." He inquired and commanded. "They still need to pay for that privilege."
Barry
 Reckoner, 175 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 08:51
The Ghost
In reply to Em (msg # 91):

<tr>I guess my covers blown.</tr> Barry walks in and closes the door behind him armed with his pistol. "Well, if you know I'm here, you probably know that it's in your best interest to hand over those items," Barry threatens, pointing the gun at Wednesday.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 08:52, Sat 19 Mar 2016.

Kenzie
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 08:57
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 93):

Kenzie clutched the knapsack- almost as large as she was- closer and said, "They said we tooked something from them. They want it back, but we didn't take nuthin' from anybody, just the stuff on the ground."

The child pouted, eyes focused on Wednesday and for the time being, ignorant to the rising tensions.
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 140 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 09:06
The Ghost
In reply to Kenzie (msg # 94):

"I never said you took it from me," Kaylee defended. She did as Wednesday asked and lowered her gun to her side; however, she did not stow it away. "The piece was just there? No one around? You didn't see anything or anyone else?"
Barry
 Reckoner, 176 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 09:11
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 95):
Wednesday
 Reckoner, 50 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 09:31
The Ghost
In reply to Kenzie (msg # 94):

"There there now. That isn't what I heard at all." Wednesday addresses Kenzie, kneeling down. "It sounded more like they wanted something that you found. Or at the very least, what you know about it. Which we won't be telling them, right?" As he looks from Kenzie to Em and back again.

Standing back up, "And why would it be in my best interest to hand the items over? They haven't been stolen from you. And these are scavengers, they are just trying to get by." He looks left over his shoulder, raising his hands in the process. "And besides if you know I'm here on business, doesn't that raise the question of who I could be working for?"
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 141 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 09:47
The Ghost
In reply to Wednesday (msg # 97):

"You don't need to hand anything over," Kaylee clarifies. "All I want is information."

Kaylee's eyes scan Wednesday's worn face. She growls, "Who are you?"
Barry
 Reckoner, 177 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 09:52
The Ghost
In reply to Wednesday (msg # 97):

Barry joins the interrogation. "What business of yours involves you following us on a day to day basis?" he adds in, annoyed.
Wednesday
 Reckoner, 51 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 10:03
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 98):

"Well if that is all you want, then you should be a little more polite." Wednesday stared back. "On the other hand, what your partner wants appears to be a little more pressing since he still has a gun pointed at me."

"As for that question," He addresses the one standing behind him, "My business includes acts and skills of questionable legality." He narrows his eyes. "On a day to day basis - sometimes it is intentional, and other times it happens by happenstance." He grins wolfishly.
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 142 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 10:22
The Ghost
In reply to Wednesday (msg # 100):

"Being polite isn't really my thing," Kaylee snarls. "Who are you and who do you work for?"
Barry
 Reckoner, 178 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 10:35
The Ghost
In reply to Wednesday (msg # 100):

"Come on now Kaylee,were being plenty polite," he interjects jokingly, "we haven't shot you yet and Kaylee can attest that I'm being quite the aristocrat right now for keeping you unharmed." He raises his brow at Wednesday, giving him a mocking smile. It is a mistake to bargain with them unarmed.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:43, Sat 19 Mar 2016.

Wednesday
 Reckoner, 52 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 22:05
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 102):

"Oh, obviously you are being so polite. I would hate to see what constitutes as afternoon tea for you." Sarcasm with sarcasm for the one pointing the gun at his back.

"Though you still may need to work on it. I find it easier to talk with others to gain information." He addresses Kaylee. "As for who I am, that is something you already know. And I work for myself, these two on the other hand. . . . They are why I am here, a favor for a favor. I am sure that you would understand." He looks forward towards Kaylee.

After a sigh, he mentions, "Though, depending on what other information you want, I just might be able to help you."
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 143 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 23:31
The Ghost
In reply to Wednesday (msg # 103):

Kaylee's eyes narrow, "I don't trust you." Despite this statement, she stows her gun away entirely and says evenly, "You're not a fan of the Epics I take it?"
Wednesday
 Reckoner, 53 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 23:47
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 104):

"Anyone that would I might consider to be a fool." was the response. "And no, not really. At the very least, the ones who are more chaotic in nature. They tend to be bad for business." As a flash from the eyes reminded that he did not wish to be taken lightly.
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 144 posts
Sun 20 Mar 2016
at 00:14
The Ghost
In reply to Wednesday (msg # 105):

Kaylee is inclined to believe the older man; he seems sincere enough. And Kaylee's of the mindset that, if he tries anything, she'll kill him where he stands. She doesn't see much harm in saying:

"Yesterday you asked us if we were Reckoners. Are you one?"
Em
Sun 20 Mar 2016
at 00:19
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 106):

Em's eyes have darted between each speaker after every exchange, expression growing more concerned with each word. Their hands ran to their hidden horns in a nervous habit, tapping and scratching subconsciously.

"What're those?" They ventured quickly, "Reckoners?"
Barry
 Reckoner, 179 posts
Sun 20 Mar 2016
at 01:00
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 104):


"You seem to know what they are, Wednesday. What is a 'Reckoner'?"
Wednesday
 Reckoner, 54 posts
Sun 20 Mar 2016
at 03:19
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 108):

"No. I am not one, though I wouldn't mind their help, but that is for another matter" Wednesday replies to Kaylee first.

Noting the venom behind him, he switches to Em. "You see Em, to me, a Reckoner is a terrorist who targets Epics. But I have yet to meet an actual one, so it is hard to say if they are anything but that." as he stares back at Kaylee.
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 145 posts
Sun 20 Mar 2016
at 06:13
The Ghost
In reply to Wednesday (msg # 109):

"Is it still terrorism if you're on their side?" Kaylee snaps, a little perturbed. "If you don't like them so much, why do you need their help?"
Em
Sun 20 Mar 2016
at 06:20
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 110):

"You...target...fight Epics?" Em stammered, "People don't- people don't do that!" Their nervous fiddling with their blightmarks increased to something conscious, a realization of how they'd been afflicted by an Epic.

"If you do that, it just gets people hurt more than anythin'..." They glanced nervously at Kaylee and Barry, then to little Kenzie, who still clung to the knapsack.
Barry
 Reckoner, 180 posts
Sun 20 Mar 2016
at 07:37
The Ghost
In reply to Em (msg # 111):

"Things do get messy when you fight back Epic's," Barry turns to the little girl then turns back to Wednesday. "For most people, it's not worth the risk. What have they done to you to make fighting them worth the risk?"
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 146 posts
Sun 20 Mar 2016
at 07:53
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 112):

Kaylee glances to Em as they speak. Her eyes are drawn once again to the teen's blightmarks, which they'd hastily covered with a baggy cap. She understands why Em seems to be so afraid.

But Kaylee's had it bad too, and although she fears the terrible things some Epics can do, she's had too much taken away to not fight back with a bloodthirsty vengeance. She'll rip the Epics apart or she'll die trying.

She looks back to Wednesday, awaiting the answer to both her question and Barry's.
Wednesday
 Reckoner, 55 posts
Sun 20 Mar 2016
at 08:41
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 113):

After a moments though, he smiles wolfishly, a mad glint in his eye, wiped off as he speaks.
"It is still terrorism if the target is the population. Or even if the collateral damage from any traps being set up if Epics are the true target. It doesn't matter who's side you are on." Wednesday replied sternly. "No matter how much it is justified."

"As for the targeting of Epics, no, normal people don't tend to do that Em. Unless, like the man says, you have a good reason not to want to live. I am not a Reckoner, but still have a grudge against Epics. And the aftermath will get people hurt, but I would rather attempt to stop individuals like Blight, who used to be human than live under their tyranny and whims." Facing Em as best he could. "I would rather burn them out for what they did to my family than ask anyone else to face them needlessly. Though, like you say, the world may burn with it, but there is a chance that the many who are powerless will outlast those with the strength of gods, and I am betting on that."
Em
Mon 9 May 2016
at 18:44
The Ghost
In reply to Wednesday (msg # 114):

Em nodded mutely, obviously trying to process the information dumped on them before saying quietly,

"I never knew your fam'ly was killed too, Mr. Wednesday."

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:29, Mon 09 May 2016.

Wednesday
 Reckoner, 56 posts
Mon 9 May 2016
at 21:01
The Ghost
In reply to Em (msg # 115):

"It is a common enough story around here." He smiles at Em. "No one is safe from the Epics." Wednesday narrows his eyes at the other two. "But if you folks are who I think you are, what do you fight for?"
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 147 posts
Mon 9 May 2016
at 22:26
The Ghost
In reply to Wednesday (msg # 116):

Dead families... Kaylee knows that story. It's her own.

She considers Wednesday's question carefully - he'd already figured out they were Reckoners by this point, but answering him would be real admission and Kaylee isn't so sure she can do that. She pauses, darts her eyes between Wednesday and the two feeble kids, and then says hesitantly:

"It doesn't really matter what I fight for, does it? Just that I fight."
Wednesday
 Reckoner, 57 posts
Tue 10 May 2016
at 04:13
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 117):

"You couldn't be further from the truth. If you just fight, for no reason, you are just as bad as the Epics. Why do you fight?" Wednesday reworded, taking his time discerning how they react to the questions. His eyes flitting back and forth between the two, wary of their weapons.
Barry
 Reckoner, 181 posts
Tue 10 May 2016
at 04:47
The Ghost
In reply to Wednesday (msg # 118):

Senile fool Barry sees a man lying in his deathbed.

"We're not here to cater to the whims of persistent, suicidal old men," Barry cut in.

"Quit acting like you know whats going on. You seek revenge, atonement for the recent death of your family. And you know what? You are no different than anyone else. People die all the time nowadays so get over it! Vengeance is going to get you nowhere other than your own demise."


"Now, say we are who you are looking for. Why should these 'RECKONERS' care?"
Em
Tue 10 May 2016
at 19:24
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 119):

As the argument continued, Em slowly moved across the room to Kenzie. They pried the child's arms off of the knapsack and motioned towards the door with a quick nod. Kenzie nodded in return and the two scavengers made their exit. A raven's harsh call was swept in with a gust of cold air as the door shut.
Barry
 Reckoner, 182 posts
Tue 10 May 2016
at 19:52
The Ghost
In reply to Em (msg # 120):

Seeing the leftover knapsack on the ground, Barry walks over to pick it up.
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 148 posts
Tue 10 May 2016
at 20:44
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 121):

Kaylee considers chasing after the two kids as they sneak out the door, but figures she's scared them enough for one day. Plus, Wednesday is a more pressing issue at the moment.

"I fight for a reason," Kaylee clarifies. "But it's my reason and I don't feel too inclined share it."

She notices Barry approaching the kids' sack, but doesn't look away from Wednesday.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:43, Wed 11 May 2016.

Wednesday
 Reckoner, 58 posts
Tue 10 May 2016
at 22:56
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (119):

"Aww, whoever said that I was suicidal?" Wednesday replied collectedly. "I was going for the martyrdom outlook. Well damn. I was hoping to be martyred for my family's death, unlike most of these poor sods." Nodding to the door.
"Who are only focused on survival. They have their own problems that they are focusing on, usually not revenge. And I am not here to cater to the randomness and empty threats that you proclaim, I have my own mission to accomplish, with or without you." Wednesday walks so that both of them are in his view, slowly.
"But I find that uniting tends to produce results much faster than splintering. And the groups that I tend to associate with have the consistency of splinters wrapped in wet paper being used as a hammer when facing Epics."

Taking a small pause to allow the information to sink in.
"However, if something goes down on the streets, they tend to know about it instantly. If they survive that is, but that is something that they are good at." He smiles, leaving the statement in the air.
"But I still have a job to do, so if you will excuse me, this salvage isn't yours." Pointedly at Barry. "Or do you want to add theft to the reputation of the Reckoners?"
Barry
 Reckoner, 183 posts
Tue 10 May 2016
at 23:21
The Ghost
In reply to Wednesday (msg # 123):

"Yawn," Barry says out loud. He digs out the earpiece from the sack and tosses the rest of the bag over. "I don't know what world you live in but, in my world, reclaiming ones possessions is not a form of stealing."

"I'm really not interested in anything past and we've been here long enough"
Fatemaker
 GM, 58 posts
Tue 10 May 2016
at 23:37
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 124):

Barry's words hung in the air for mere moments before a terrified shriek spilled into the air from outside the cabin. The sound was cut off abruptly, as though with a knife, after lingering for but a few seconds.

Now, all you can hear ravens croaking and cawing, more than had been there when you entered the cabin, more even than when Em and Kenzie left the building moments earlier.

What do you do?

Barry
 Reckoner, 184 posts
Wed 11 May 2016
at 00:34
The Ghost
In reply to Fatemaker (msg # 125):

"I think that's our cue to leave," nodding to Kaylee. Barry peeks through the window to see what's going on outside.
Fatemaker
 GM, 59 posts
Wed 11 May 2016
at 03:08
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 126):

The small window faces out to the right side of the house, and reveals nothing more than a group of perhaps five ravens perched on the rooftop opposite you. All seem to be looking intently at something happening towards the front of the house.

The one closest to the window sees you looking out. It cocks it's head inquisitively, as through memorizing your face.

"CAW."

Wednesday
 Reckoner, 59 posts
Wed 11 May 2016
at 03:21
The Ghost
In reply to Fatemaker (msg # 127):

Wednesday starts at the sound, rushing quietly towards the door.
"It looks like we will have to continue this conversation later."
They better have gotten away safely. He opened the door just a crack. Looking outside for the two scavengers.
Fatemaker
 GM, 60 posts
Wed 11 May 2016
at 04:32
The Ghost
In reply to Wednesday (msg # 128):

Wednesday peers through the door.
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 149 posts
Wed 11 May 2016
at 04:39
The Ghost
In reply to Wednesday (msg # 128):

Kaylee whips her gun out at the sound of the scream. She rushes to the door and flings it open, then moves to shove her back against the side of the house, gun pointed at any immediate danger. Her eyes scan the scene defensively.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:44, Wed 11 May 2016.

Tiger
Wed 11 May 2016
at 04:57
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 130):

Kaylee is fixed by a pair of burning amber eyes and terrified blue ones as she bursts out the door. A collection of ravens caw and croak, clearly an audience for the scene before her.

Em is lying on the ground, one leg bent backwards on itself and blood seeping from the wound through their thin pants into the snow. Their eyes are wide with a mix of terror and pain and Em's skin appears almost green, freckles standing out like flecks of dirt on snow.

However, the teen's predicament is clear. A colossal cat, burning orange on the hard-packed snow, and criss-crossed with stark lines of black looms over Em. A tiger, although Kaylee has never seen one before this moment. The huge cat raises its lips in a snarl, then lays a paw over Em's chest with great care. You can see the tiger's claws unsheathe and dig ever so slightly into Em's clothes. It glares at Kaylee with an intelligent intensity in its eyes.

"Is this one yours, pretty girl?"

A rumbling voice delivers the question as Em lets out an unbidden whimper. The claws dig in a slight bit more, and Em is silent again.
Barry
 Reckoner, 185 posts
Wed 11 May 2016
at 05:03
The Ghost
In reply to Tiger (msg # 131):

Fuck!

Barry begins moving to the door with gun in hand after seeing the beast attacking the child.

"Sue, is there anything on tiger Epics, animal manipulators or shapeshifters?"
S.U.E.
 NPC, 55 posts
Wed 11 May 2016
at 05:07
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 132):

SUE's tinny voice responds almost immediately.

This is what I have in the database. He hasn't been seen in the city for almost two years:

MOREAU

POWER PORTFOLIO:

Physical Transformation- this ability is used by Moreau to turn into a variety of mammals and avians. He does appear to be somewhat limited by mass; he has never been recorded turned into anything smaller than a raven or larger than a wolf.

Forced Transformation- Moreau has shown that his abilities can be applied forcefully to other individuals and animals. This often results in the death of the victim. When death is not the result, whatever transformation occurred appears to gradually fade over the course of several months, although this is based on very few accounts.

NOTES: It is unknown if the forced transformation results in death because Moreau chooses it to be so, implying that he could also perfectly transform others, or if it is because the ability is inherently flawed to perform as such.

Moreau appears to be highly entertained by his 'experiments' on others, and often visits the prison to collect subjects.

He is also known to leave Ozymandias for long periods of time to roam the Wilds, and is not affiliated with any particular district.

KNOWN WEAKNESS: None yet observed.

PREVIOUS HISTORY: Unknown. Appeared from the Wilds two years after the establishment of Ozymandias.

Wednesday
 Reckoner, 60 posts
Wed 11 May 2016
at 05:30
The Ghost
In reply to Tiger (msg # 131):

That started off well . . .
Wednesday steps out the door, following the teenage ball of energy.
"And if she was? Would that really matter to you?" He barked at the beast. I need to keep them alive. What was your plan girl?
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 150 posts
Wed 11 May 2016
at 05:34
The Ghost
In reply to Tiger (msg # 131):

Holy shit.

Kaylee has never seen anything quite like this before. And the animal just spoke to her! It had to be some kind of Epic, right?

Not so easily intimidated, Kaylee tightens her grip on her gun and narrows her eyes right back at the beast. "Get off her," she snarls. "What's she ever done to you?"
Barry
 Reckoner, 186 posts
Wed 11 May 2016
at 05:45
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 135):

"Make sure Kaylee gets this info," He responds.  "Does he have any record targeting anybody specific? Or have any reason to come back?"

"Let's not trap ourselves in the house." Barry advises as he walks out and takes a shot at the tiger.
Moreau
 NPC, 1 post
Wed 11 May 2016
at 06:20
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 136):

The bullet clipped the tiger in the front leg, and it snarled. With deliberate movement, it extended the claws on its paw and pressed on Em, crushing the teen's chest. A cry escaped Em, trailing off into a death rattle.

"It's a shame how fragile you are,"  the tiger purred lazily, "I had high hopes for this one. Maybe one of you will serve me better."

"It's good to be back."