The Ghost.   Posted by Fatemaker.Group: 0
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 130 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 09:09
The Ghost
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 62):

Well, that definitely didn't sound like Devon. The snippets of conversation Kaylee hears lead her to believe these kids found - or stole - the earpiece and are looking to sell it.

Kaylee asks SUE, "Devon's signature moved from yesterday, right?"

This message was last edited by the player at 09:11, Fri 18 Mar 2016.

Barry
 Reckoner, 168 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 09:10
The Ghost
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 62):

"It sounds like these people may have just picked up the earpiece. Im thinking it might not be a trap."
S.U.E.
 NPC, 54 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 09:20
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 63):

Yes.

SUE replayed the small animation of the moving dot from deeper in District 3 to the location it's in now.

From the earpiece, you hear a surprised squeak.

"This one activated...thought you said..."

A muffled sound of movement later and another, deeper voice spoke.

"Shut up...deactivate...Pack it."

The line went dead and the small dot indicating the signal feed froze.
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 131 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 09:23
The Ghost
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 65):

Growing angry, Kaylee marches to the front of the house and pounds on the door.
Barry
 Reckoner, 169 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 09:25
The Ghost
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 65):

Shit... Barry takes cover ducking at the side of the building just in case the inhabitant decide to do anything rash.
Horns
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 09:36
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 67):

A few moments pass before the door opens slightly. A chain lock runs across the gap between the door and frame.

Peering through the opening is the teen you saw earlier, now sporting an oversized hat to hide, at least for the most part, their blightmark horns. With that feature hidden, it's easier to focus on other traits, like their blue eyes, their smattering of freckles across a feminine face, and the pistol pointed at your gut.

They seem to relax slightly when they see you're not who they were expecting, but don't lower their weapon.

"Who the fuck are you?"
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 132 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 09:47
The Ghost
In reply to Horns (msg # 68):

Kaylee glances to the gun at her stomach but doesn't feel much fear. She doesn't think this kid has the guts to kill her, but even if they did, Kaylee's not afraid of death. Still, she takes a deep breath and tries to compose herself so she doesn't spook the kid into shooting her. She says evenly, "I might ask you the same thing. You have something of mine."
Barry
 Reckoner, 170 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 09:48
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 69):

Nice approach.
Horns
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 09:51
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 69):

"If you're so worried about it, you should have kept better track of it," they snapped, "Sorry lady, this isn't lost-and-found."
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 133 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 10:02
The Ghost
In reply to Horns (msg # 71):

Kaylee's eyes narrow. So this is how it's going to be. "Let me in or my partner will blow your friend's brains out." Kaylee indicates the child inside the house with a quick glance over the teen's shoulder.
Horns
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 10:18
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 72):

The teen's face paled, freckles standing out like pepper on a napkin. They pulled the gun out of the way and started stammering,

"No, please don't do that, I mean there's not much here, I'm sorry for taking it. We just need to get by, and yesterday people just left stuff in the streets..."

They unlatched the chain and let Kaylee into the spartan room. As soon as she was inside, the teen shut the door with a defined 'click.'

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:28, Fri 18 Mar 2016.

Kaylee
 Reckoner, 134 posts
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 23:44
The Ghost
In reply to Horns (msg # 73):

That was easy.

Kaylee's eyes wander over the cabin's shabby interior. She doesn't see Devon's stuff immediately but she knows it's there.

She almost feels bad for taking advantage of the two kids - they really do seem like they're just trying to get by. But Kaylee and Barry need answers and they wouldn't get them by being friendly.

Still, she makes an effort to lighten her tone and says, "I need to ask you some questions." Her voice will never really loose the harsh edge it'd had since childhood and the words come out gruffer than she'd intended.

As an afterthought, Kaylee tunes Barry into the conversation by calling him on his mobile and muting his end.

Directed to the teen, Kaylee demands, "Who are you?"
Em
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 00:00
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 74):

Despite Kaylee's attempt at congenial small-talk, the occupants of the house remained guarded. The teen spoke with caution.

"My name's Em. That's Kenzie," Em gestured towards the still-motionless child.
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 135 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 00:08
The Ghost
In reply to Em (msg # 75):

"Ok," that's not really what Kaylee had been looking for.

"This... business," Kaylee gestures to the few items still remaining on the floor and the frightened child. "Is it just you two? Or do you work for someone?"
Em
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 00:32
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 76):

"Just take your stuff and go," Em grumbled.

Behind them, Kenzie snapped back to reality and unceremoniously emptied the knapsack onto the floor. Small devices and an assortment of accessories tumbled out. Among the items you can see clothing, jewelry, a shoe, some outmoded mobiles, and one more book.

Em spoke again, a little louder, "We're just scavengers."
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 136 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 00:43
The Ghost
In reply to Em (msg # 77):

Kaylee frowns. That's not the answer she'd been anticipating, but Em's words seem sincere enough to her. Kaylee shakes it off and asks, "Who were you expecting to be at the door?" She'd seen the teen visibly relax at the sight of a stranger - an odd reaction, if you ask Kaylee. She gauges Em's response more closely this time.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:48, Sat 19 Mar 2016.

Barry
 Reckoner, 171 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 00:57
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 78):

Em appears to tell the truth as far as Barry can tell be words alone.
Em
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 01:25
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 78):

Em's face morphs from defensive to bewildered.

"Haven't you heard that there's Epics on the loose? Blight's been prowlin' the district for two days, and Midas' supposedly out too," they bluster through names, "And then there's the new ones, and nobody knows anythin' about them! And there're lots more scary vultures out there than little old us fightin' for the scraps," they blurt with the same ruffled enthusiasm that they had given after Kaylee's initial threat.

They continued after taking a pause to breathe, "Compared to those fuckers, I'll take the sight of you any day."
Barry
 Reckoner, 172 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 01:28
The Ghost
In reply to Em (msg # 80):

The mention of Blight reminds Barry to make sure he doesn't run into trouble while he's outside. He examines the surrounding area.
Fatemaker
 GM, 57 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 01:41
The Ghost
In reply to Barry (msg # 81):

Barry scans the area but cannot discern anything out of place. A raven fixes him with beady eyes from atop a nearby cabin and lets out a rough 'CAW'. The smell of smoke and snow wafts through the air, mixing with the musty fur Barry is currently wearing.

For now, the streets are quiet.

Barry
 Reckoner, 173 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 02:27
The Ghost
In reply to Fatemaker (msg # 82):

Listening in on the conversation, Barry still doesn't notice anything weird.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:28, Sat 19 Mar 2016.

Kaylee
 Reckoner, 137 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 04:08
The Ghost
In reply to Em (msg # 80):

"Hmm," Kaylee believes Em. The nervous teen doesn't appear to be lying.

"Alright. You found an earpiece. Can you take it out for me?" This Kaylee directs to Kenzie.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:11, Sat 19 Mar 2016.

Kenzie
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 04:21
The Ghost
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 84):

The small girl opened her mouth as if to respond, but before any sound left her mouth, a sharp and precise pattern of knocks rang through the cabin.

Em jumped, then made a motion for Kenzie to get the door. Kenzie scampered to the door and opened it a fraction to peer out. When she spoke, her voice was high and bubbly, a direct contrast with her rough appearance.

"Oh, hello, Mr. Wednesday."
Wednesday
 Reckoner, 48 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 04:42
The Ghost
In reply to Kenzie (msg # 85):

"Hello, you must be Kenzie." Wednesday smiled towards the girl. "I am here to pick up the goods."
His eye turns up, searching the cabin for other signs of life.
There should be Em, and . . . someone else? It sounded like they were talking to someone.
"Anyone else here? I would absolutely hate to be surprised." he says with a playful snarl.
Barry
 Reckoner, 174 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2016
at 05:19
The Ghost
In reply to Wednesday (msg # 86):

Barry is surprised and annoyed by the mans presence. Goddammit, this geezer again? There's no way hes not stalking us. Is he trying to acquire our equipment? "My bad, didn't see him coming," Barry whispers over the line.