The Traveller.   Posted by Fatemaker.Group: archive 0
Fatemaker
 GM, 19 posts
Mon 12 Oct 2015
at 04:18
The Traveller
In reply to Saria (msg # 42):

Beyond the doors of the Greenhouse, it opens into a gaping space. Far from what the name 'Greenhouse' implies, it is darkened and somewhat ominous. The warm air is heavy and musty with the scent of plants, but not soil. Although it has been weeks since you've smelled proper earth, you still feel like you would remember it, and it is lacking.

At stations within the Greenhouse, men and women in white uniforms received individuals. Their cleanliness clashes directly with the filth of the few patrons who entered and presented satchels or envelopes. The receivers checked the contents of the bags and then gestured the patrons forward. A few are turned away by the attendants; one is drug away by masked Enforcement officers.

"I have children! We're starving! You can't do this to us! Just one day's worth! Just one day!" The man screamed as he's removed from the building.

He tries to make it into the building again, only to be stopped by the officers. He goes to throw a punch at an officer. The officer dodged and raised a hand. With a sound like a thunder-clap and a blink of light, the man vanished. The door shuts, and you can see no more of the scene.

An attendant averts her eyes from the scene and moves over to your group.

"You're with her, right? I remember you from last time," she directs her speech to Barry and then points to a familiar figure.

Devon is gathering what looks to be crops into a few sacks. Exhaustion is beginning to etch itself into her features.

"We should get out of here," she says under her breath.
Kaylee
 Reckoner, 27 posts
Tue 13 Oct 2015
at 07:03
The Traveller
In reply to Fatemaker (msg # 43):

The greenhouse feels wrong to Kaylee - it's unnatural smelling and humid. The skinny girl is broiling in her thick winter coat, but when she sees the desperate man blink out of existence at the whim of the Enforcement officer, she suddenly feels ice cold. She watches the door as it closes on where he was standing.

It takes a great deal of effort for Kaylee to tear her eyes away from the closed door, but when she does she finds Devon gathering various crops into a bag. "We should get out of here," she hears the older woman murmur. Kaylee couldn't agree more.

She glances back to the stranger she'd picked up outside, and then nods for him to get to doing... whatever needed doing. She didn't really care. She was done with this slimy place.
Wednesday
 Reckoner, 6 posts
Tue 13 Oct 2015
at 07:47
The Traveller
The darkened room is contradicted by a light smile along the old man's face. The desperate and the emotionless gather here, one to seek food, the other to provide. This may be fun.
A shake and a grimace, turning his head downward. Back to the mask, who knows how good their security is. I am getting too old for some of this.

"Never seen anything like that. By the way, my name is Wednesday." He remarks, nodding first to the dissapearing man. "I wonder where he went, poor kids."

[Private to Fatemaker: I don't have access to S.U.E. do I?]
Wednesday
 Reckoner, 7 posts
Tue 13 Oct 2015
at 08:00
The Traveller
He walks over to the lady gathering crops.
"You were leading them weren't you?" He asks, flashing an eye toward the guards, trying to figure out how many people there were in the room.
"Here, let me help you, it looks like you could use it." He leans over to help, breathing a little more raggedly than usual,
[Private to Devon: he whispers "Do you know anything about those enforcers?"]
Devon
 NPC, 19 posts
Thu 15 Oct 2015
at 02:24
The Traveller
In reply to Wednesday (msg # 46):

"Who the hell are you?" Devon hissed at the newcomer without any pretense of courtesy. She hefted a backpack on her skinny frame and shoved a pair of knapsacks over to Barry and Kaylee.

Devon spoke in hoarse gasps, "They're not usually here- not in D3. Something is wrong," she brushed past Wednesday and made her way to the exit. She paused before leaving to pull her hood up and activate her mask again.

Shouts and another clap of thunder boomed from outside the door. Devon cursed under her breath and opened the door to slip outside. She disappeared outside, and while the door was open, you could hear sounds of angry screams and a gunshot.

The attendants murmer anxiously and several scamper away from the doors in fear.

[Private to Wednesday: Nope. You're going to have to either earn SUE's trust, earn a Reckoner's trust, reprogram something, or access the database manually at the Reckoner's hideout.]

This message was last edited by the player at 02:43, Thu 15 Oct 2015.

Saria
 Reckoner, 30 posts
Thu 15 Oct 2015
at 02:28
The Traveller
In reply to Devon (msg # 47):

Saria contemplates wandering off into the greenhouse while Devon collects the crops. She knows that this mask can hide her well, but if she gets caught...

She snaps out of her thoughts as she watches the man trying to break into the greenhouse. Saria huffs a little and turns away.

He should know better than to try and use force to break into a place like this!

But in the back of her head, Saria knows that he is beyond the point of logic and had fallen into desperation. She suddenly felt uncomfortable and started fidgeting slightly.
Saria
 Reckoner, 31 posts
Thu 15 Oct 2015
at 02:33
The Traveller
In reply to Saria (msg # 48):

Saria's attention is drawn to the shouting and gunshots outside of the greenhouse. She knows that she is not a fighter so instead of running out there like an idiot...she decided it would be best to remain inside for now.

Saria goes to inspect the crops and gather some for herself while she still can.
Fatemaker
 GM, 20 posts
Thu 15 Oct 2015
at 02:38
The Traveller
In reply to Saria (msg # 49):

Saria disappears into the depths of the warehouse.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:40, Thu 15 Oct 2015.

Kaylee
 Reckoner, 28 posts
Thu 15 Oct 2015
at 05:42
The Traveller
In reply to Fatemaker (msg # 50):

Kaylee doesn't really give a shit about Wednesday's introduction or his comment about the vanishing man, but she watches the exchange between him and Devon warily. She understands Devon's outburst and distrust, but nevertheless feels a strong connection to the older man.

Eager to leave this godforsaken place, Kaylee slings the sack Devon hands to her over her shoulder. She follows Devon to the door, glancing to Wednesday and saying gruffly, "We need to get out of here." The gunshot from outside agrees with her. She pulls the ice axe out of her coat and grips it tight next to her thigh as she exits the greenhouse.
Wednesday
 Reckoner, 8 posts
Thu 15 Oct 2015
at 06:50
The Traveller
I am more out of my element here than I care to admit.
The strange one disappearing into the warehouse, the freaked out reaction by the mysterious one. Not exactly going as planned, not that that was unusual . . .

"And you want to go towards the gunshot with that?" he asks incredulously, stepping aside. "Are you asking a little more minerals for your diet? She might need that but we don't quite yet." He says as he acquires a bag from underneath the table.

Got to get my bearings. And still have to grab some food.

[Private to Fatemaker: Who have I seen in the greenhouse, total number of people and what kind of physical security?]
Fatemaker
 GM, 24 posts
Thu 15 Oct 2015
at 17:06
The Traveller
In reply to Wednesday (msg # 52):

There are six attendants in the Greenhouse at the moment. They do not appear to be armed, and are nervously exchanging snippits of wording.

A single Enforcement officer remains inside, and two regular guards. Their attention is taken by the commotion heard outside, where you know there are two more members of Enforcement and two more regular guards. There is a brief lull in the ruckus behind the doors as Wednesday speaks.

[Private to Wednesday: Further inside the Greenhouse, you can see rows of cell-like cubicles, some lit, some unlit. There do not appear to be any plants actively being grown, which means you need to find a Gifted and some seeds if you want rations.]
Barry
 Reckoner, 26 posts
Thu 15 Oct 2015
at 17:31
The Traveller
In reply to Fatemaker (msg # 53):

I wonder whats going on? Seeing that there is only a single enforcement officer inside, Barry thinks that this may be the best time to inspect the greenhouse, then he realizes that Saria is missing. Barry walks over to a slightly more private part of the room, outside of earshot distance of the enforcement officers and greenhouse employees.

He pulls his wrist in front of his face. Just audibly enough, he murmurs into his device. "Hey Sue, can I get a location on Saria and maybe our objective?"
S.U.E.
 NPC, 5 posts
Thu 15 Oct 2015
at 20:18
The Traveller
In reply to Barry (msg # 54):

Saria is further in the Greenhouse towards the west. SUE's childish voice came through the mobile. A map with a small dot appears on your mobile's screen. According to Devon you're supposed-

As though summoned by mention, Devon's voice broke through the connection. Her voice stutters through, broken by background noise.

"Where are you...Enforcement officers are coming... the Greenhouse....lockdown and unless you want to get found out...hurry..."

[Private to Wednesday: You do not hear this.]
Fatemaker
 GM, 25 posts
Thu 15 Oct 2015
at 20:34
The Traveller
In reply to Kaylee (msg # 51):

As you step outside, you are met by a crowd of people. Angry residents, led by the dark-skinned man who preached the glory of Reverie, are gathered and prepared to attack. Hoarse shouts fill the cold air.

Jacob, the guard who teased you earlier, clutches his shoulder as blood seeps red into the dingy snow. He coughs and another spray of crimson hits the ground. His partner watches the people, holding a rifle you doubt he will actually turn on his fellow men. The Enforcement officers are unreadable behind their protective masks.

"We have been promised delivery! We will gain our freedom! We are united!" the tall preacher screams. An officer makes to attack him as they had the desperate man earlier, but the preacher dodges around and, brandishing a knife, strikes the officer.

The crowd follows suit, and you are swept up in the mass of people. You see the second officer tap a button on his mobile before he is attacked. He opens the portal you saw before, swallowing two rioters in a flash of light and a clap of thunder.

You do not see Devon.
Wednesday
 Reckoner, 9 posts
Thu 15 Oct 2015
at 21:58
The Traveller
Shit. Oh well, no time like the present eh?

Pointing to the closest attendant with the bag in hand, "You, do you know where any other exits are?" he questions sharply.

He pays attention while walking over to the other person from the group he walked in with, who was in the corner, "It seems like we will be having company. You should be at the dinner table, not alone in your bedroom." He sternly talks.

"Because we should probably be headed towards one of them." Voice rising as he motions to all of the other attendants.
Attendant
Thu 15 Oct 2015
at 22:41
The Traveller
In reply to Wednesday (msg # 57):

The attendant matched the sternness of Wednesday's tone. Unlike most of the other attendants, she was not shaken by the disturbance.

"Notification should have been sent to Enforcement- they'll send help. We'll be safe from those animals if we just stay put," she looked Wednesday up and down and said, "We will not be leaving."

With that, she turned on a heel and strode away. A few of the others gathered themselves and followed her like ducklings. Some stayed put, watching the exit with frightened anticipation.
Barry
 Reckoner, 27 posts
Fri 16 Oct 2015
at 08:18
The Traveller
In reply to Attendant (msg # 58):

Away from the attendant, Barry sends off a few more messages.

To Sue: "Where's Kaylee. Keep the map up for Saria. Notify Saria I'm headed her way."
To Devon: "Kaylee just ran off and Saria is still in the greenhouse. I'm going to find her."

Barry walks back to Wednesday, tapping him on the shoulder and gesturing him towards Saria's location. Barry starts walking casually through the greenhouse to find Saria.
S.U.E.
 NPC, 6 posts
Fri 16 Oct 2015
at 08:42
The Traveller
In reply to Barry (msg # 59):

Kaylee is on the edge of District 3. She has almost reached the border to District 2. SUE stated this information matter-of-factly, as though the AI were proud of herself.

The dot representing Saria is still moving slowly through the Greenhouse.

A text message appeared on Barry's mobile screen. Devon.

You need to get out before the rest of Enforcement arrives.
They will do a sweep and you will be found. We can't compromise the mission.
Just leave. Avoid the crowd. I will look for Kaylee.
Meet at the edge of town.

Barry
 Reckoner, 28 posts
Fri 16 Oct 2015
at 08:52
The Traveller
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 60):

"Fuck!", Barry curses under his breath.

Barry feels conflicted about leaving someone behind, but leaving was probably the best option. However, leaving someone connected to the Reckoners behind may be detrimental as well. Maybe if we're quick enough, we can get Saria and avoid enforcement.

"Sue, approximately how much time do we have before the main group of Enforcement arrives?"

C'mon SUE, give me some time!
S.U.E.
 NPC, 7 posts
Fri 16 Oct 2015
at 09:01
The Traveller
In reply to Barry (msg # 61):

Most Enforcement officers have been gifted the abilities of the Epic called Pandora. Pandora's power portfolio includes teleportation and the creation of pocket dimensions.

SUE happily stated these facts, oblivious of the weight they carried.

Enforcement could be here any time. They could be here now.
Barry
 Reckoner, 29 posts
Fri 16 Oct 2015
at 10:10
The Traveller
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 62):

"SUE, add marks all exits. Highlight those with little or no Enforcement if possible. Also, update me with the nearest exit at any given time."
Main exits might be bad idea so a little detour won't hurt.

Barry decides that the situation will be bad no matter when they leave and that the main entrance will likely be the most protected. With teleportation, time meant nothing, so Barry continues to go searching for Saria, walking towards her direction with a set location in mind. He walks with intention and tries to create an appearance of familiarity with the building to avoid drawing attention. He makes sure to tuck away the mini map when people are looking at his direction.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:16, Fri 16 Oct 2015.

S.U.E.
 NPC, 8 posts
Fri 16 Oct 2015
at 23:34
The Traveller
In reply to Barry (msg # 63):

There are several old exits, but most have been locked up now. I don't know if you would be able to get out. People aren't supposed to leave here.

SUE's voice takes on a slightly worried edge.

Shouldn't you be listening to Devon?

You approach rows of cell-like cubicles, some lit, some unlit. A shout cuts through the otherwise eerie silence of the depths of the Greenhouse.

[Private to Barry: The shout was feminine, and came from your left.

If you leave to pursue it, please put a post here saying what you are doing, and then I will move you to the thread 'the Protected,' since you are leaving Wednesday behind.
]
Barry
 Reckoner, 30 posts
Sat 17 Oct 2015
at 00:21
The Traveller
In reply to S.U.E. (msg # 64):

There's no time for a detour. Sorry.  Barry keeps his path towards Saria.

"Well SUE, like you said, most of the exits are locked so we are going to have to find another one. But first were going to pick up Saria. Can you figure out which ones are still unlocked?"
Fatemaker
 GM, 29 posts
Sat 17 Oct 2015
at 00:28
The Traveller
In reply to Barry (msg # 65):

Barry vanishes from sight into the Greenhouse.
Wednesday
 Reckoner, 10 posts
Mon 19 Oct 2015
at 04:15
The Traveller
Well they seem to know where they are going.
Wednesday follows behind, deeper into the greenhouse.