Scene 2b: Portentum.   Posted by Storyteller.Group: 0
Storyteller
 GM, 255 posts
Fri 29 Jul 2016
at 07:53
Scene 2b: Portentum
Out of sight of the mortals Sandra vanished in an instant, displacing air with an audible pop.
With Ai's medical assistance Richard's foot was feeling a lot better.
From somewhere deep down the sewers a muffled boom resounded.
Richard Jackson
 player, 36 posts
 Spin Doctors
 nothing to see here
Sun 31 Jul 2016
at 16:51
Scene 2b: Portentum
Richard stood back up when she was concluded, testing his weight on it again.  "Looks like I'll be pole-vaulting again in no time," he said, satisfied.  "Next up, we--"

The concrete jungle rumbled beneath them all, deep within.  "Secondary explosion!" Richard called out to the crowd, waving his hands down, keeping the calm.  "Further down the line.  Emergency services will handle this."

Only slightly belying the calm he was attempting to promulgate, he keyed his earbud.  "Agents underground, situation update?" Richard subvocalized, reaching for his sunglasses in his pocket once more...
Storyteller
 GM, 259 posts
Mon 1 Aug 2016
at 20:09
Scene 2b: Portentum
(Richard roll an appropriate social skill like Manipulation+Subterfuge (since you're kinda lying) or a Mind effect to see how the public and ambulance personell react to you calming them down)
Storyteller
 GM, 266 posts
Tue 2 Aug 2016
at 22:12
Scene 2b: Portentum
The comm stayed ominously silent ..
Richard Jackson
 player, 37 posts
 Spin Doctors
 nothing to see here
Wed 3 Aug 2016
at 00:58
Scene 2b: Portentum
One of the most useful tools in the NWO book is the fact that people are generally willing to suborn their self-determination to give their authority away to someone who knows what to do.  Richard, having made himself be the person in charge, acts with the experience of a lifetime in spy games, pressing on Psychodynamic buttons that nearly all Western-raised people have been raised to possess...

Going for Writing the Open Book, to instill and renew calm in the crowd.  Enhancing with Manipulation+Subterfuge to give the people the lies they need to hear.

((19:51, Today: Richard Jackson rolled 4 successes using 6d10 with the World of Darkness 3rd ed system with a target of 6 with rolls of 6,10,3,7,3,6.  manip+subterfuge enhance rote.))  This reduces the target number of the Mind effect by no more than -3, minimum 3.  I'll aim for 4 successes total to be able to encompass the crowd as a whole.  Mind 2 coincidental effect is base TN 5, modified down to the global minimum of 3...

((19:51, Today: Richard Jackson rolled 4 successes using 6d10 with the World of Darkness 3rd ed system with a target of 6 with rolls of 6,10,3,7,3,6.  manip+subterfuge enhance rote.

19:53, Today: Richard Jackson rolled 1 success using 2d10 with the World of Darkness 3rd ed system with a target of 3 with rolls of 2,3.  arete mind 2 writing the open book 1.

19:53, Today: Richard Jackson rolled 1 success using 2d10 with the World of Darkness 3rd ed system with a target of 3 with rolls of 2,6.  arete mind 2 writing the open book 2.

19:54, Today: Richard Jackson botched using 2d10 with the World of Darkness 3rd ed system with a target of 3 with rolls of 1,1.  arete mind 2 writing the open book 3.))  Daaah.  All effort lost, Paradox gained, have to start from the beginning... if the situation is still stable enough to try.

Storyteller
 GM, 268 posts
Wed 3 Aug 2016
at 23:20
Scene 2b: Portentum
Richard was not getting through to the crowd. About two dozen had gathered by now, previously unseen people cautiously coming out of the surrounding buildings to look at the disaster area only to be frightened by a second loud Thud from somewhere in the sewers. Restlessness was spreading through the gathered souls and Richard felt the tide turn against him, his confidence draining as he saw confusion and fear take hold. Should he pick the wrong words next panic could set in .. perhaps it was time to make an exit and leave things up to emergency services.

(first time for everything :P. You have two options. You can cut your loss and take the paradox increase. it will be 2 points. Since it is not very much there will not be an immediate backlash. You can also choose to spend 1 willpower, subtract 1 previous success, increase the difficulty by +1 and continue trying to control the crowd but if you botch a second time it's instant disaster. Roll another botch, i dare you! :))

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:50, Thu 04 Aug 2016.

Richard Jackson
 player, 38 posts
 Spin Doctors
 nothing to see here
Fri 5 Aug 2016
at 04:34
Scene 2b: Portentum
He can't leave yet.  He has too much at stake.  Richard mentally dumbs his language down a bit -- maybe the mob was agitated, and the vocabulary was too complex to register?  Yes.  He just needs to take a deep breath and speak at an eighth-grade level...

Nothing wrong can possibly can come of trying again!  1wp spent, one success remains, starting again at TN 4.

23:32, Today: Richard Jackson rolled 2 successes using 2d10 with the World of Darkness 3rd ed system with a target of 4 with rolls of 8,7.  arete mind 2 w.ob take 2 roll 1.
23:32, Today: Richard Jackson rolled 1 success using 2d10 with the World of Darkness 3rd ed system with a target of 4 with rolls of 4,2.  arete mind 2 w.ob take 2 roll 2.  This makes a total of 4 successes.

Storyteller
 GM, 272 posts
Fri 5 Aug 2016
at 20:45
Scene 2b: Portentum
The startled crowd began to listen to Richard explaining that help was on their way and that keeping calm was the best thing they could do at the time. They slowly calmed down. The ambulance personell focused on their job whereas before they were beginning to wonder who the hell these people were and what they were doing at the site taking charge of the situation.

"Richard, time to move out. We suspect your team is trying to stop the target from escaping using the subway system. The station is about 500 meters from your current location. Take Ai with you. There are likely wounded", Erin's voice came over the comm..

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:49, Fri 05 Aug 2016.

Richard Jackson
 player, 39 posts
 Spin Doctors
 nothing to see here
Sat 6 Aug 2016
at 13:35
Scene 2b: Portentum
There was a long moment when he got to enjoy the sight of a crowd of folks milling about a disaster zone in calm.

It was, of course, not to last.

"++Confirmed,++" Richard subvocalized, touching his earpiece.  He'd not forgotten about the two men and one science project, silent in the aftermath of the underground detonation, but they had taken on a secondary importance in the wake of cleaning up his own mess.  "Emergency services are on their way now.  We're as done here as we can be," he announced, looking to Ai -- and Devon, lost in his own devices.  "Next is reconnecting with everyone down below.  There's a station in..."

He glanced up, checking street signs.  "That direction," Richard said, pointing the way, and leading his comrades on.
Ai Fujiwara
 Medical Expert, 95 posts
 The Progenitor Prodigy
Wed 10 Aug 2016
at 14:08
Scene 2b: Portentum
She seemed a bit out of it for a moment, though she looked to the other agent and gave a nod, registering his words. "Yes, of course. We'll need the vehicle. I.. I can try to communicate with Al, but I don't know if it'll work on the others." She admitted.
Storyteller
 GM, 281 posts
Wed 10 Aug 2016
at 17:13
Scene 2b: Portentum
The vehicle Vadim had driven Ai and himself to the site was still intact. As opposed to Jacki's vehicle which was half-crushed by the falling building.
Richard Jackson
 player, 40 posts
 Spin Doctors
 nothing to see here
Thu 11 Aug 2016
at 01:28
Scene 2b: Portentum
Richard shot a look to the van they'd arrived in, frowning, doing a quick mental tally -- there shouldn't be any compromising equipment in there that wasn't encrypted, but Control had slipped body armor in the back seat of their reinforcements; transport.  One never knew.

"I'll drive.  Let's get the keys."

OOC: A'driving we go to the station.
Ai Fujiwara
 Medical Expert, 96 posts
 The Progenitor Prodigy
Thu 11 Aug 2016
at 01:54
Scene 2b: Portentum
With a nod, Ai moved towards the van. "I think Vadim may've left the keys inside.."
Storyteller
 GM, 288 posts
Fri 12 Aug 2016
at 13:43
Scene 2b: Portentum
The keys were still in the van and Richard and Ai made their way to the station. As much of the traffic had been gridlocked they could move pretty rapidly. There were more people on the street here though, dozens really. Most heard the explosions and were watching aghast at the billowing smoke. In the distance they saw a truck had rammed a family car and two police men were trying to handle the situation while their own car was stuck in the resultant traffic jam. This area was more gentrified with smaller office buildings sharing the neighborhood with cafes, stores and restaurants. The neighborhood had seen better days though with most buildings showing a measure of wear and tear.

Around the subway entrance dozens of people were wandering around, making phonecalls or watching drama unfold around them. They had most likely evacuated the station after the building had collapsed.
Richard Jackson
 player, 42 posts
 Spin Doctors
 nothing to see here
Mon 15 Aug 2016
at 11:16
Scene 2b: Portentum
"Coming through, coming through..."

Richard had his ID out, sunglasses on, and purpose to his stride as he wove and nudged his way through the crowd.  He didn't expect any serious resistance from them, but he was carrying Ai in his wake; the diminutive young woman had a measure of seriousness to her, but seriousness was not the gravitas of an official.

"+Keep your eyes and ears open," he subvocalized to Ai as they made their way through.  "+They're either close to or have found the target, or they would have answered me back at the explosion site.+"
Storyteller
 GM, 295 posts
Mon 15 Aug 2016
at 20:14
Scene 2b: Portentum
(richard, make an appropriate social roll. You don't necesarilly need to talk but a failed roll might make people question your authority)
Richard Jackson
 player, 43 posts
 Spin Doctors
 nothing to see here
Mon 15 Aug 2016
at 21:41
Scene 2b: Portentum
(16:40, Today: Richard Jackson rolled 5 successes using 6d10 with the World of Darkness 3rd ed system with a target of 6 with rolls of 7,7,9,8,5,6.  manipulation+subterfuge browbeat our way through.)
Storyteller
 GM, 303 posts
Wed 17 Aug 2016
at 00:33
Scene 2b: Portentum
Richard found no resistance manouvering himself and Ai past the gathered crowd and the subway officials. One of them commented:"Well, at least someone is showing up. Where the hell are the cops. You'd expect the place to be swarming with them right about now ... ". Richard of course knew the real reason but he wasn't going to tell them and they didn't seem to be expecting a real answer. Going down the stairs Richard and Ai went down into the subway station where a few stragglers were accompanied upward:"Hey man, don't go down .. oh, sorry sir. Something is going on down there. I think we heard gunfire after the blast earlier".
Ai Fujiwara
 Medical Expert, 99 posts
 The Progenitor Prodigy
Wed 17 Aug 2016
at 00:44
Scene 2b: Portentum
Ai didn't speak at first, instead she seemed oddly focused. She walked quietly, avoiding to meet the eyes of anyone else in the crowd.

"+Alpha's emotional state has changed, he's becoming more aggressive. Something must have happened down there to trigger it.+"
Richard Jackson
 player, 44 posts
 Spin Doctors
 nothing to see here
Wed 17 Aug 2016
at 21:51
Scene 2b: Portentum
Richard's expression tightened when he heard the stragglers' report.  "Emergency services is on the way," he informed them, calm and composed.  "Stay clear.  This is going to be handled."

A nod to them, and he moved on, touching his earpiece, reporting the slim details to Control.  With his other hand, he drew his sidearm, and continued towards the danger.  "They have to have made contact," Richard said quietly to the Progenitor at his side, not bothering to subvocalize in the relative privacy of the underground.  "Do you carry any weapons?"
Ai Fujiwara
 Medical Expert, 104 posts
 The Progenitor Prodigy
Wed 17 Aug 2016
at 23:27
Scene 2b: Portentum
She shook her head. "The closest thing I have to a weapon is a serum I've been testing for use in the field. It should be enough to keep me from getting too injured under enemy fire, but that's about it, I'm afraid."
Storyteller
 GM, 313 posts
Thu 18 Aug 2016
at 21:17
Scene 2b: Portentum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtQpSGyPCBE

Richard and Ai walked down the stairs past the gates onto the subway platform. The platform was abandoned though the next subway train was set to arrive in 7 minutes. A single sportsbag was left on the platform by someone supposedly too spooked to remember their luggage. The only noise right now at the bottom of the stairs was the humming of the airco and Philip Glass' Mad Rush over the intercomm. Three doors were marked accessible for 'authorized personell only'.

(hearing perception rolls please)

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:03, Thu 18 Aug 2016.

Richard Jackson
 player, 46 posts
 Spin Doctors
 nothing to see here
Thu 18 Aug 2016
at 22:00
Scene 2b: Portentum
17:00, Today: Richard Jackson rolled 1 success using 2d10 with the World of Darkness 3rd ed system with a target of 6 ((4,10)).
Storyteller
 GM, 318 posts
Fri 19 Aug 2016
at 17:04
Scene 2b: Portentum
Richard heard the last moments of the fight, Alpha's growl, from behind one of the doors labeled 'authorized personell only'. As he glanced in the direction of the door Ai immediately surmised Al, James and Vadim were nearby.

(lets head for the Venatus thread since now you can interact without comm systems)
Richard Jackson
 player, 47 posts
 Spin Doctors
 nothing to see here
Sat 20 Aug 2016
at 13:22
Scene 2b: Portentum
To: Venatus -->