Tavern Talk II (OOC)   Posted by Raellus.Group: 0
Raellus
 GM, 575 posts
 Sage
 Raconteur
Wed 13 Jul 2016
at 22:01
Tavern Talk II (OOC)
Nicolai Romanelli:
Also, we're at kilopost limit on this thread. Yay!

Thanks.

Good questions, all.

Nicolai Romanelli:
So the storeroom is at ground level.  Do all supplies go up the main exterior stairs to enter and then back down a set of internal stairs?


This. It's a security feature, pretty much standard on keeps in general.

Nicolai Romanelli:
Are there any women and/or half-orcs in the Bloodforged or are they a human sausagefest?


There are a handful of women in the Bloodforged. There are also a few half-orcs, dwarves, and half-elves in the company.

Nicolai Romanelli:
Can Jenna enlist any of her coreligionists to assist, especially given the typical Bloodforged religious leanings?


The Church of Arma is pretty small in Balefyre. It's not a very martial city. The old priest that currently runs the temple might be willing to help, but his body probably isn't very able. The 3-4 young acolytes that assist him, likewise. Most of the folks that worship regularly at the temple are/were in the Fire Watch.

See Message #6 in the Adventurer's Journal notice for more potential allies.

I'm not sure about Corros' spells so I'll let him answer that.

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:13, Wed 13 July 2016.

Corros Graelor
 Adventurer, 315 posts
 Half-Elf Warlock
 keys138
Wed 13 Jul 2016
at 22:15
Tavern Talk II (OOC)
I will have to do some cross referencing when I get home for my spell list to see what doesn't have a somatic component.  At this point, Corros is pretty much set up to either attack or counter-attack magic via dispel or counter style spells.

I'm down with nabbing a patrol if that's the route we want.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:16, Wed 13 July 2016.

Nicolai Romanelli
 Adventurer, 427 posts
 Human Rogue
 Tegyrius
Wed 13 Jul 2016
at 23:14
Tavern Talk II (OOC)
My current line of thought involves two "Bloodforged" stumbling into the keep looking like they've been beat to shit, dragging a "prisoner" and a "witness" from the latest "attack on a patrol."  Creative moulage will add to the disguise and will help deal with any blood we get on the gear in the process of acquiring it.  This will have the added benefit of getting any QRF moving in the direction we indicate, thus further drawing down the total number of guards in the keep.

For added verisimilitude, we can have our various allies create a noisy riot with stuff on fire - that'll be where we're allegedly coming in from.
Raellus
 GM, 576 posts
 Sage
 Raconteur
Wed 13 Jul 2016
at 23:45
Tavern Talk II (OOC)

I understand that this is a work in progress and that nothing is yet decided. This is just a little FYI to help you make a decision/work out the detes.

Teg's suggestion is certainly a workable scenario. Here's how I would roll it:

The relevant skills could be deception, persuasion, performance, and/or intimidation, depending on how you play it. I think there's a disguise mechanic as well, but I'll have to read up on it.

Depending on how you describe your PC's words and actions during the act, I may grant advantage on the rolls. In other words, if you write up some really clever, convincing stuff, I'll give you advantage- but no pressure. ;)

The DC will be pretty challenging given that the recent riot and low-grade harassment/agitprop campaign has put the Bloodforged a bit on edge. On the other hand, a fresh riot could even things out by distracting the folks you are trying to fool.

It might be a good idea to have a plan B in pocket just in case the rolls suck and the guards call your bluff.

Once inside the keep, anything goes.

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:06, Thu 14 July 2016.

Corros Graelor
 Adventurer, 316 posts
 Half-Elf Warlock
 keys138
Thu 14 Jul 2016
at 00:23
Tavern Talk II (OOC)

Corros can cast Dissonant Whispers with his hands bound and that's it.  I'm hesitant to blow one of his two slots early in the game on a spell with a saving throw, but it could be done.

He can make a really convincing prisoner though.
Nicolai Romanelli
 Adventurer, 428 posts
 Human Rogue
 Tegyrius
Thu 14 Jul 2016
at 00:30
Tavern Talk II (OOC)
Okay, just checking.  I'm thinking Nic (who can fake the accent and has a +8 Deception bonus) and Jenna (who will be armored up anyway) as our fake mercs, Corros as the "witness/VIP," and Gronk as the "prisoner."
Jenna Drax
 Adventurer, 360 posts
 Human Cleric
 Dave Ross
Thu 14 Jul 2016
at 07:03
Tavern Talk II (OOC)
I'm good with fake merc but Jenna has none of the required skills to bluff it so Nic will have to  be the face man.

How about if Jenna and Gronk swap roles? That way Jenna could still wear the Smoke armour.
Raellus
 GM, 578 posts
 Sage
 Raconteur
Thu 14 Jul 2016
at 20:55
Tavern Talk II (OOC)

Ok, it seems the consensus is infiltration by ruse. You'll need to acquire at least two Bloodforged kits before attempting that. Is it OK if we proceed to that point in the narrative- i.e. some sort of ambush? I'm thinking the team hangs out in some alley and waits to bushwhack a passing patrol. If you have a different tactic in mind, please let me know.

There are still a few things to discuss. This is a major mission with lots of possible outcomes. I need to have some idea of the following:

When (day and time of day) the attempt to infiltrate the keep is made. You'll probably want to think about exfil as well.

Diversion/s (who, what, when, & where).

Backup Plan/s, short and long term- You don't need one prepped before we begin (you can always just wing it, if you want) but it's something to be thinking about just in case the SHTF and the infiltration plan falls apart.

-
Jenna Drax
 Adventurer, 361 posts
 Human Cleric
 Dave Ross
Thu 14 Jul 2016
at 21:12
Re: Tavern Talk II (OOC)
Raellus:
Ok, it seems the consensus is infiltration by ruse. You'll need to acquire at least two Bloodforged kits before attempting that. Is it OK if we proceed to that point in the narrative- i.e. some sort of ambush? I'm thinking the team hangs out in some alley and waits to bushwhack a passing patrol. If you have a different tactic in mind, please let me know.


Is there anywhere we can steal them? A laundry place where they send them to get washed (am guessing they don't do it themselves). A brothel they frequent regularly where they might be....errrr...lying around? If so could we bribe someone to grab a few?
Raellus
 GM, 579 posts
 Sage
 Raconteur
Thu 14 Jul 2016
at 21:17
Re: Tavern Talk II (OOC)
Jenna Drax:
Is there anywhere we can steal them? A laundry place where they send them to get washed (am guessing they don't do it themselves). A brothel they frequent regularly where they might be....errrr...lying around? If so could we bribe someone to grab a few?


Cloaks you might be able to steal from a laundry/washer-woman, armor no- they take care of that themselves.

The brothel idea is quite clever and will probably work, however the working girls/madam/pimp will probably take the blame, which could result in arrest, a beating, or worse.

It's your call, though.

-
Nicolai Romanelli
 Adventurer, 429 posts
 Human Rogue
 Tegyrius
Fri 15 Jul 2016
at 00:55
Re: Tavern Talk II (OOC)
Yeah, we're going to need some cover for our daring escape.  Including transport - there's the possibility that our primary target won't be mobile.  Can we get someone (Fisherman's Alliance?) to stage a diversionary raid/strike on the Fire Watch Guardhouse in the Harbor Ward to draw off some strength?

There also are two other factions in the city whose leaders are being held in the keep.  Do we want to try to extract them too?  I'm referring to Kara Overmark (is that name intentional, Rae, or is #6 in the Allies thread a typo)? and Muzz Breakwater.

Rather than hitting a patrol in the brothel, I like the idea of picking our ground and setting an ambush on their way out of the brothel.  We can probably get intel on their movements pretty easily.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:56, Fri 15 July 2016.

Raellus
 GM, 580 posts
 Sage
 Raconteur
Fri 15 Jul 2016
at 04:20
Re: Tavern Talk II (OOC)
Nicolai Romanelli:
Yeah, we're going to need some cover for our daring escape.  Including transport - there's the possibility that our primary target won't be mobile.  Can we get someone (Fisherman's Alliance?) to stage a diversionary raid/strike on the Fire Watch Guardhouse in the Harbor Ward to draw off some strength?


That's certainly possible but you don't currently have any contacts in the FA. Acquiring some will require some more talky-talky. If you're down for that, so am I.

Remember that you can still use the sewers to get out of the keep, even if you don't use them to get in. Getting down a privy shaft is also going to be significantly easier and less skill-dependent than getting up one.

To use Dave's Star Wars analogy, the privy-sewer combo is to the keep cell block as the garbage chute-trash compactor is to the Death Star cell block.

Nicolai Romanelli:
There also are two other factions in the city whose leaders are being held in the keep.  Do we want to try to extract them too?  I'm referring to Kara Overmark (is that name intentional, Rae, or is #6 in the Allies thread a typo)? and Muzz Breakwater.


I'm a little unclear on what you're asking. Kara Overmark and Commander Overmark, commandant of the Fire Watch, are one in the same person. I checked and it's the same name in both the Personages notice and message #6 in the Adventurer's Journal. Muzz Breakwater is the FA leader so, if you agree to spring him too, the FA will probably help with a diversion and or transportation.

Keep in mind that the gangs are already on the job, as per your arrangement with Toesplitter. They are quite capable of creating diversions in various parts of the city, made to order. Just tell your gang contacts the time and place.

Nicolai Romanelli:
Rather than hitting a patrol in the brothel, I like the idea of picking our ground and setting an ambush on their way out of the brothel.  We can probably get intel on their movements pretty easily.


Stealing armor or ambushing a patrol are both viable options. What you don't need is mercs getting back to the keep with tales of being robbed or bounced. That'll pretty much scupper any chances of your ruse succeeding.

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:32, Fri 15 July 2016.

Nicolai Romanelli
 Adventurer, 430 posts
 Human Rogue
 Tegyrius
Fri 15 Jul 2016
at 10:54
Re: Tavern Talk II (OOC)
Raellus:
Notable citizens, Kara Overmark and Muzz Breakwater (President of the Fisherman's Alliance and Council representative from the Gate Ward) are being held in the dungeons of Firewatch Keep.


Is Kara Overmark also President of the Fisherman's Alliance?
Corros Graelor
 Adventurer, 317 posts
 Half-Elf Warlock
 keys138
Fri 15 Jul 2016
at 14:00
Re: Tavern Talk II (OOC)

So the plan is to infiltrate the Keep in armor stolen from a waylaid patrol, that was incapacitated to prevent them from returning to spoil our plan, as mercenaries returning with a prisoner and witness to the crime during a riot that our gang allies initiate for chaos that will allow us to secure two prisoners and escape into the sewers via the poop chute?

To paraphrase my son Peter's favorite Ghostbuster: "This a great plan.  I'm excited to be a part of it!"

It all works for me!

I'm going camping with the family this weekend and will have sporadic access to the interwebs.  Just to give a heads up.
Raellus
 GM, 581 posts
 Sage
 Raconteur
Fri 15 Jul 2016
at 15:35
Re: Tavern Talk II (OOC)
Nicolai Romanelli:
Raellus:
Notable citizens, Kara Overmark and Muzz Breakwater (President of the Fisherman's Alliance and Council representative from the Gate Ward) are being held in the dungeons of Firewatch Keep.


Is Kara Overmark also President of the Fisherman's Alliance?


No, Muzz Breakwater is both president of the FA and Council rep from the Gate Ward. Overmark is just commander of the Fire Watch. Sorry that wasn't more clear.

-
Jenna Drax
 Adventurer, 362 posts
 Human Cleric
 Dave Ross
Fri 15 Jul 2016
at 18:56
Re: Tavern Talk II (OOC)
quote:
When (day and time of day) the attempt to infiltrate the keep is made. You'll probably want to think about exfil as well.

Is there a specific time that Jurvis is aware of when they are likely to be less alert? e.g. approaching a meal time, changeover of shift, etc? If not then for no reason that I can put my finger on I'm tempted to say try and infiltrate just before dusk so that by the time we are leaving it will be dark. Given the prep still required, I am assuming that would have to be tomorrow in game at the earliest.

quote:
Stealing armor or ambushing a patrol are both viable options. What you don't need is mercs getting back to the keep with tales of being robbed or bounced. That'll pretty much scupper any chances of your ruse succeeding.

So we need somewhere to stash any prisoners. And ideally someone to guard them.
Raellus
 GM, 583 posts
 Sage
 Raconteur
Fri 15 Jul 2016
at 20:15
Re: Tavern Talk II (OOC)
Jenna Drax:
Is there a specific time that Jurvis is aware of when they are likely to be less alert? e.g. approaching a meal time, changeover of shift, etc? If not then for no reason that I can put my finger on I'm tempted to say try and infiltrate just before dusk so that by the time we are leaving it will be dark. Given the prep still required, I am assuming that would have to be tomorrow in game at the earliest.


Good questions. Jurvis would tell you that between watch shifts is probably the best time. That's when boredom usually sets in and people get sloppy. Meals at the keep are timed so that the next watch eats right before setting out and the returning watch comes straight to the mess after finishing its shift.

The Bloodforged stationed at the Customs House and/or guarding the Mermaid's Tale don't usually return to the keep for meals.

-
Nicolai Romanelli
 Adventurer, 431 posts
 Human Rogue
 Tegyrius
Sun 17 Jul 2016
at 20:31
Re: Tavern Talk II (OOC)
Still thinking on this.

What do we know about the Fishermen's Alliance in terms of capabilities/resources they can bring to the table?
Corros Graelor
 Adventurer, 318 posts
 Half-Elf Warlock
 keys138
Mon 18 Jul 2016
at 00:43
Re: Tavern Talk II (OOC)
Just got back, I will be active tomorrow.  Thanks for the patience!
Raellus
 GM, 584 posts
 Sage
 Raconteur
Mon 18 Jul 2016
at 01:48
Re: Tavern Talk II (OOC)
Nicolai Romanelli:
What do we know about the Fishermen's Alliance in terms of capabilities/resources they can bring to the table?


You don't know much first-hand, since you haven't had any direct interaction with the FA, but your local contacts can tell you the following:

The FA is one of the city's most influential factions. It's roughly equivalent to a RL labor union. Fishing is Balefyre's major industry. Fish is a huge part of the local diet and fish byproducts are used to fertilize the less-than-rich soil outside the city walls. The FA has around 300 members- from boys to old men- and nearly everyone in the city is related to or friends with a fisherman or three. These are tough, sea-salt-of-the-earth types who aren't afraid to test themselves in a street fight with merchant sailors. Their president has been jailed by the Bloodforged.

The FA doesn't have as much money as the ML, but it controls most of the city's food supply. The FA boasts a fleet of several dozen fishing smacks and thousands of square feet of fishing nets. Weaponry-wise, all FA members are proficient with knives and boathooks. Some are good with harpoons. Those with pirating experience have some experience with martial weapons.

What else would you like to know about them?

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:16, Mon 18 July 2016.