Chapter 6: Out of the Black.   Posted by Raellus.Group: 0
Raellus
 GM, 693 posts
 Sage
 Raconteur
Mon 5 Dec 2016
at 01:58
Chapter 6: Out of the Black

In which the adventurers face an ancient evil awakened from the depths of the earth...

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:18, Thu 08 Dec 2016.

Raellus
 GM, 695 posts
 Sage
 Raconteur
Thu 8 Dec 2016
at 01:17
Chapter 6: Out of the Black

The Four sit in the Lord Mayor's nicely appointed chambers- which occupy most of the uppermost floor of the newly renovated Fire Hall- sipping drinks served by Mayor Vander's secretary. Commandant Overmark is there; so is the half-elf ranger, Zima, just back from Yonder's Hole. Everyone's attention is directed, at present, towards a stranger to the Four, a mid-aged dwarf introduced as Kerek Crusher.

"Tell them what you told us." Vander directs the newcomer.

"Alright, then. About a week ago, a prospector named Gulo, and his team are digging an exploratory shaft about two miles north of the camp when they hit a big vein of platinum, least that wide." the dwarf holds his calloused hands about half a meter apart.

"They tried keeping it a secret, but Yonder's Hole aint big, and word spread like the crotch pox."

"So, they stake their claim with the mayor- er, Deepdelver, not your lordship- and start following the vein, digging deeper, bringing out huge chunks of pure platinum. Others show up and start digging nearby. Anyway, some of the miners start getting sick, acting really odd. Gulo goes insane, murders one of his mates, starts eating his face. Sergeant Jaff had to lock him up, gagged and bound nearly head to toe. Hasn't been able to get a word o' sense out of him since."


Kerek shakes his head slowly, as if he doesn't want to believe his own memories.

"With Gulo locked away, there's a big row over who owns his mine. It gets ugly quick. More murders. Deepdevler steps in, negotiates a profit-sharing deal for the rival claimants. Nobody's really happy about it, but at least they can start digging again. And they do- faster now. A day or two later, they hit another shaft, a big one, cut stone, smooth walls, really high. I only saw it for a couple of minutes, but one man could stand on another's shoulders and not even hit his head on the ceiling."

"Show them," Overmark interjects, "the symbol you saw."

The dwarf removes a piece of parchment from his tunic, unfolds it carefully, and flattens it out on the coffee table. "Never seen anything like it in all my life." Kerek claims. Corros recognize the symbol at once. It's the numeral 2, in the long-dead script of the Forgotten Ones.

"Then things get really weird. Dead miners- the ones that got murdered and the others that were killed by them orcs a few months back, they dig themselves outta their graves, start attacking the living. We fight most of them off, but then other things start coming out of Gulo's shaft, monstrous things, lots of 'em. They killed a lot of people. The survivors retreated to the stockade and holed up there. Deepdelver sent us," Kerek indicates Zima, "back to get help."

Vander looks at the Four. There's a pause; everyone knows what's coming next, but Vander seems hesitant to say it.

"I can't send any of the Watch. They're still at half strength- barely able to keep the peace here in the city."

Overmark's scowl confirms Vander's assessment. He continues, "You know the way to Yonder's Hole; you've worked with Deepdelver before. You'll be paid, of course."

And then the Lord Mayor is quiet, looking expectantly at the adventurers.


Your Turn.


-

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:34, Thu 08 Dec 2016.

Nicolai Romanelli
 Adventurer, 527 posts
 Human Rogue/Ranger
 Tegyrius
Fri 9 Dec 2016
at 02:08
Chapter 6: Out of the Black
Many cities of Nicolai's acquaintance hibernate during winter.  Travel and trade slow to a crawl and the economic metabolism cools to match.  Industry turns inward to maintenance and repair.  Citizens huddle in their homes, eschewing all but essential social engagements.  Not so in Balefyre - not this winter, at any rate.  The expulsion of the Bloodforged seems to have been a catalyst for growth and progress of a particular sort.  So Nicolai has taken his cue from the locals and eschewed rest as well, staying abreast of the changes and ensuring that his own threads become woven through the new images of Balefyre's social tapestry.

No few of those threads lead back to the people in this room.  They're relationships that run both ways, of course.  Vander well knows the Four have been intimately involved with the Fire Watch's reforging, so his need to speak of the guard force's readiness level is an indicator of his own unease with Kerek and Zima's report.

Nicolai glances sideways at Corros as the witchling leans forward to examine the glyph.  We'll go, of course, he comments to the others through the younger man's telepathic link.

Aloud, he addresses himself to Kerek.  "Describe these 'monstrous things,' if you would, please."  He leans forward to therapeutically refresh the dwarf's drink.  "And the survivors.  Numbers and provisions.  If they hold the stockade, how long will their supplies hold?"
Corros Graelor
 Adventurer, 391 posts
 Half-Elf Warlock
 keys138
Fri 9 Dec 2016
at 22:29
Chapter 6: Out of the Black
Of course we will, although I'm about to make them pay for it, Corros returns across the link.  The rune is a number 2.  Another ring is my guess.  Like the one in the city.

The half-elf sits back in his chair and crosses one leg over the other.  His winter hadn't been quiet, either.  Too much going on in the City.  And a lot going on with Jenna.  It was hard to get excited about venturing back to the mine in the face of what he'd rather being doing with her.  But she would go, and so would he.  For different reasons maybe, but he assumed they would go together.  Hell, the gods would have to pry him away from her with a crowbar the size of a mountain.

He is kind of attached to the priestess, to say the least.

In a calculated move, Corros smiles.  From just about anyone else, what comes out of his mouth next would be rude to the point of insulting, but he manages to make it light.  "So, I'm not intending to be rude, but we go up there, stave of an orc slaughter, bring back word that maybe, just maybe, digging up there might not be such a good idea.  Or it should be done with extreme caution, and then we get ignored.  Due to circumstances sure, what with needing to rebuild an economy and all, and we did see it coming, yeah?  But then the miners go back, dig deeper and faster, find platinum vein of epic scope, murder and eat each other, and then tap into a horde of creatures hat manages to pin them into a stockade?  I just want to make sure we have this right."

He shakes his head. "I will go up there, again, but I need this council to understand something.  If we bring back word because of what we find that this digging must stop, then this digging must stop.  Until we can make is safe to continue.  Of course."  Which may occur never, he adds mentally.

Gods he'd rather be in bed with Jenna.  Or flying above the city making her laugh.
Raellus
 GM, 697 posts
 Sage
 Raconteur
Sat 10 Dec 2016
at 00:18
Chapter 6: Out of the Black

In an incongruous juxtaposition, Kerek's bearded countenance resembles that of a scolded child. (OOC: He's going to respond to Nic's queries but the following came out of me first.)

Vander steps in to respond to Corros' admonitions. "I understand your frustration, Master Graelor. You did bring warning- warning that there might be danger in continued digging there. The Council took your warnings seriously, but prohibiting all travel to the platinum fields was not considered practical, in terms of enforcement. And for a time, few prospectors dared return, making such prohibitions unnecessary. But memories of the trouble there faded quickly. The lust for wealth often trumps caution and, when new strikes were reported, the trickle of prospectors became a flood. We simply don't have the resources to stop it.

"You must understand, the Fire Council has little control over what goes on in the camps. We sent Deepdelver there  to try to bring order but there are limits to what he can do with the resources that he has available. The Fire Watch detachment there is too small and the prospectors too... willful. Yonder's Hole is a rich prize, and perhaps that fact has clouded our judgment, but if Balefyre washes its hands of the place, someone else will step in and take control- Varimor, Ardane, monsters even, gods forbid. The Fire Council doesn't wish to see that happen. So, we are, as they say, between a rock and a hard place.

"My main concern is this: whatever danger exists to the mining camp might also threaten Balefyre. If this danger is left unchecked, the consequences to the city could be dire. It is our hope that you can eliminate the threat, whatever it may be. What resources the city can spare to assist you will placed be at your disposal."


-
Jenna Drax
 Adventurer, 434 posts
 Human Cleric
 Dave Ross
Sat 10 Dec 2016
at 12:20
Chapter 6: Out of the Black
Jenna Drax sits, listens to the conversations going on around her, both the spoken one that the Mayor and his people are party to and the silent one that is taking place only in the mind of Jenna and her companions. The Priestess still felt an occasional flicker on unease when she thought of that link, of the thoughts that she and Corros had shared. She doubted if Nicolai would wish to willingly intrude on those thoughts but the mere thought that she might unwittingly share something with more than her lover had been enough to bring colour to her cheeks in the days immediately after the Bloodforged had departed the City.

He didn't say that the digging would stop. It was a statement of fact rather than a question, a thought that comes to her unbidden after Vander had finished speaking, his platitudes that of a Politician, skirting around the matter without addressing it directly. It was difficult for Jenna to discern whether his concerns were truly borne from worry over the consequences for the City or from fear that the profit the mines brought would cease. Such was Balefyre. The probability was the digging would never stop.

Jenna sat forward in her chair, her hands clasped together, her eyes flicking to the dwarf, waiting to see what he can add to the discussion. The blonde haired Priestess wore a dark blue dress, one absent sleeves, that clung to her like a second skin, her grey hued battle armour in the home that she now shared with Corros, that which had formerly been Mayor Vander's illicit hideaway. Buying clothes had been one of her vices during the past three months. After all, Arma did not expect Her Clerics to go about unclothed. Her other vice was the young Warlock that sat around the table with her. Brother Jaro had assured her that Arma did not frown upon that vice either, although long hours of whispered conversation in the Temple had not completely assuaged her concerns in that regard.
Raellus
 GM, 699 posts
 Sage
 Raconteur
Sat 10 Dec 2016
at 20:11
Re: Chapter 6: Out of the Black
Nicolai Romanelli:
Aloud, he addresses himself to Kerek.  "Describe these 'monstrous things,' if you would, please."  He leans forward to therapeutically refresh the dwarf's drink.  "And the survivors.  Numbers and provisions.  If they hold the stockade, how long will their supplies hold?"


Overmark reminds Kerek of Romanelli's earlier query. The dwarf shudders as he begins to describe the horrors that emerged from the shaft.

"There were a bunch of kobolds- we took care o' most of them. You know what an Umber Hulk is? Well one of 'em fucked up a bunch o' people before Zima here and the watch chased it back underground; there was the skeleton of a minotaur swinging a big fucking battle axe. And other things, creatures I ain't ever seen or even heard of before, like this big vulture-headed beast with sharp hooks for arms. Fucking scary shit.

"There's at least a hundred people holed up at the stockade. It's not like the orc siege, but it's not exactly safe to move around outside the walls, especially at night."


Zima picks up the thread and continues, "What's more is that others had begun to show up, just before the miners broke into the cursed shaft. A party of Reaver priests for one, posing- badly- as prospectors. And more besides, but we hadn't figured out what they were about before Kerek and I left to come here. It's a bit more than a coincidence, if you ask me."

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:43, Sat 10 Dec 2016.

Jenna Drax
 Adventurer, 436 posts
 Human Cleric
 Dave Ross
Sun 11 Dec 2016
at 11:52
Re: Chapter 6: Out of the Black
"How many in the Reaver party?" Jenna asked. "And how do you know they follow him?" Nicola and Corros had already committed to going but that snippet of information by itself meant that Jenna would have gone alone had they not done so.  "And this other group that you speak of, one whose allegiance you say you don't know, what are their numbers? Are they all quartered within the stockade?"
Raellus
 GM, 700 posts
 Sage
 Raconteur
Sun 11 Dec 2016
at 19:59
Re: Chapter 6: Out of the Black
Jenna Drax:
"How many in the Reaver party?" Jenna asked. "And how do you know they follow him?" Nicola and Corros had already committed to going but that snippet of information by itself meant that Jenna would have gone alone had they not done so.  "And this other group that you speak of, one whose allegiance you say you don't know, what are their numbers? Are they all quartered within the stockade?"


"The priests? Half-a-dozen, maybe. They didn't know the first thing about mining, to start off. That's not that unusual in itself, but they didn't seem to care to learn about it either. And at least a couple of 'em bore the mark of the Reaver- a double-headed axe branded on their necks, plain as day. Tried to hide 'em but a couple of us noticed. And to top it all off, when the other prospectors got to fighting over Gulo's strike, these blokes started selling curses. I shit you not!

"The others, I'm not sure who they're working for, if anyone. They were kind of like you lot, I think- adventurers, I mean. They helped us fight off some of the monsters. Seemed like decent types, though one of 'em was clearly demon-touched (i.e. a tiefling). Pretty much everyone at the camps have moved into the stockade since the monsters started coming out, but those two groups I mentioned left for gods knows where, not too long apart, just a bit before me an' Zima did. Supplies are starting to run low, but like I said before, things aren't clamped down quite as tight as during the orc siege."


-

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:40, Sun 11 Dec 2016.

Raellus
 GM, 701 posts
 Sage
 Raconteur
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 00:58
Re: Chapter 6: Out of the Black

The Four pack their gear, make arrangements, and depart Balefyre, heading towards Yonder's Hole, with Kerek and Zima tagging along. The Fire Council provides the group with mounts and a sturdy pack horse for any excess baggage. Before she leaves, Brother Yaro gifts Jenna a Holy Medallion. Once a day, the priestess can use the medallion to cast a Bless spell on up to four individuals, herself included if she wishes. The magical item can only be used by a priest of Arma

The six riders arrive at Midway at the end of the first day's ride, fresh but more than a little saddle sore. Pace's Place, the seminal settlement's one and only inn, is coming along, but slowly- it's barely four walls and a partial roof, at present. Ol' Klem explains that it's almost impossible to keep workers on site for more than a day or two before they inevitably elope for the platinum fields. Thanks in part to the capital investment of the four, the former caravan driver has the materials to finish the building, but he doesn't have the labor.

Although spring has sprung all around the Great Inland Sea, it still rather cold at night out on the open steppes. The four make camp on the bare earthen floor of the skeletal inn's common room. Ol' Klem shares some of his provisions, supplementing the party's trail rations, and makes a welcome peat fire in the finished stone hearth. The travelers sleep well, and wake shortly after dawn rested, if a little stiff from lying all night on the hard-packed earth floor.

Having breakfasted on cold rations, the Four carry on with their journey, departing Midway an hour or so after sunrise, bundled in their travel cloaks against the chill morning air. They make good time, arriving at the badlands in the afternoon. The region looks much the same as before- barren, rocky, gently undulating hills marching off towards the wooded slopes of the foothills and the white-clad peaks beyond. Small patches of snow linger on here, in the shadow of the deeper ravines. The wagon trail isn't hard to follow, the ruts even more pronounced than before after the early spring platinum rush.

Zima seems ill at ease, and Nic can sense something amiss- the feeling of being watched by malicious eyes, stalked even. He warns the others, and not a minute too soon. As a result, it comes as not-quite-a-surprise when a hairy white beast roars out of a west-branching side ravine. It looks like some kind of horned abominable snowman, taller than the tallest man or half-orc any of the companions have seen. Its dark blue eyes burn with rage, or hate; its blood-curdling howl doesn't seem to differentiate.

The horses, none of which were bred or trained for war, immediately panic, bolting in all different directions. Jenna's mount and the pack horse gallop north. Nic and Kerek's horses bolt east. Gronk's horse skirts the charging monster and heads west, down the ravine from which the danger appeared. The white-furred monster slashes at the half-orc as he blurs past, raking the rider across the back with its claws (Gronk takes 7 slashing and 3 cold damage). Corros' horse stamps and snorts in fear, but remains rooted in place. As Zima's mount races south, back down the wagon trail, she shouts, voice trailing off,

"Yeti! They hate fire!"

The monster homes in on the lone stationary mount/rider (Corros).

OOC: The horses will cover 30' this round (and every subsequent round during which they continue to panic). Regaining control requires a successful Animal Handling check. Dismounting from a galloping horse is possible, but doing so without sustaining injuries [1d6 bludgeoning damage, IIRC] from the fall requires a successful acrobatics check.


Your Turn.

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:35, Fri 16 Dec 2016.

Corros Graelor
 Adventurer, 393 posts
 Half-Elf Warlock
 keys138
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 01:56
Re: Chapter 6: Out of the Black
Corros, not one for waiting around to fall victim to a panicked or paralyzed mount, slides off the saddle and takes a few steps towards the approaching monster.  It occurs to him that the rest of his group is fleeing from his position, leaving him exposed and alone.  The warlock is secure, though, that they will return to stand by his side.  And if the monster should hurt him, well The Library might have an opinion on that.

"Fire then?" Corros says with a slight grin. "Come and find some."

OOC:
Corros
AC 13, HP 61/61
Casting Fire Bolt: 2x bolts, +8 to attack, 1d10+5 damage each
If hit, will cast Hellish Rebuke,  4th level slot, 5d10 fire damage, save for half

This message was last edited by the player at 02:38, Thu 15 Dec 2016.

Nicolai Romanelli
 Adventurer, 531 posts
 Human Rogue/Ranger
 Tegyrius
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 02:20
Re: Chapter 6: Out of the Black
Then:

Nicolai keeps his tone mild as he sends a wave of wordless agreement toward Corros.  "Lord Mayor.  My colleague is correct.  Our research," sorry for the "our," Corros, "over the winter has refined some of our concerns.  You recall, of course," he assumes nothing of the sort but it's the kind of diplomatic prompt Vander seems to appreciate these days, "our accounts of the events we experienced before returning to find the Bloodforged here.  We don't believe Balefyre is the first settlement in this area, and something befell the previous tenants."  He leans forward, setting his body language to "earnest and concerned."  "We don't know enough about that catastrophe yet, but the fact that the local orcish tribal memory memorializes it is a significant indicator.  You know what it takes to make a lasting impression on a culture's oral history."

Leaning back again, he fixes Vander with a level gaze.  "We'll investigate.  But Corros has the right of it.  Right now, we're fishing blindly for someone else's lost sovereigns in a barrel full of broken glass.  If we don't take the time to sort it out, sooner or later we're going to pull back a handful of pain."




Now:

His instincts validated, Nicolai emits an irritated hiss and slides out of the saddle.  He'll deal with the horse later - or, more likely, let Zima deal with it, as his relations with equine associates have never been that warm.  For now, Corros is the fragile lynchpin around whom the party needs to reform.

Ice-rimed mud splashes and crackles under Nicolai's blurring feet as he races back to rejoin his companion.  A whistle captures the attention of the ravens that are never far from him these days; a finger-flick of thieves' cant from his right hand sends them spiraling in toward the white-furred colossus.  His left hand is otherwise occupied with steel...

Nicolai
AC 16; HP 61/61; Superiority dice 4/4
Move: Toward the fight
Bonus: Master of Tactics to "Help" Corros' attack with a raven distraction (granting advantage as the yeti's attention is on the birds, not the warlock)
Attack (if in melee at end of move): Rapier +1 (two attacks at +7, damage 1d8+4 [+2d6 on first hit if an ally is in melee too])
Attack (if not in melee at end of move): Dart (attack +6, damage 1d4+3 [+2d6 if an ally is in melee too])

This message was last edited by the player at 02:21, Thu 15 Dec 2016.

Gronk
 Party NPC, 116 posts
 Half-Orc Fighter
 Raellus
Fri 16 Dec 2016
at 00:22
Re: Chapter 6: Out of the Black

The monster doesn't scare Gronk, but the panicked mount does. This is the half-orc pit fighter's first experience on horseback, and he doesn't remember reading about this scenario in the user's manual.

"Whoa! Stop! STOP!" he bellows, pulling hard on the reins.

The horse ignores him. Gronk wants off. Now. He pulls his left foot out of the stirrup and attempts to jump to the ground to his right, which is rushing by beneath the galloping hoofs of the terrified steed at an alarming speed.

If and when Gronk gets his feet back down on the ground, he means to sprint back to the ambush site to assist his friends.

Gronk
AC 19; HP 78/88
Acrobatics check to dismount panicked horse; running back to join the fight


-

This message was last edited by the player at 00:28, Fri 16 Dec 2016.

Jenna Drax
 Adventurer, 437 posts
 Human Cleric
 Dave Ross
Fri 16 Dec 2016
at 15:44
Re: Chapter 6: Out of the Black
Jenna clings on tightly to her horse as it gallops off. With little experience of horses she knows that she is unlikely to manage to bring the beast back under control, however every step it takes is carrying her further away from the monster that is attacking them. And to add to the problem, the pack horse has followed her steed’s lead, and so their provisions and supplies are in danger of also disappearing over the horizon.

Ultimately though supplies are replaceable. Jenna looks at the ground racing by beneath the horse’s hooves, eases her booted feet out of the stirrups and tries to dismount from the beast as agilely as she can, bracing herself for a hard impact with the frozen ground.

Provided she doesn’t injure herself too badly getting off the horse she’ll rise to her feet, move back towards the Yeti as quickly as she can. If / when she gets within range she’ll then call on the Goddess’s grace to send a powerful Guiding Bolt towards the monster.

Jenna
AC: 21, HP 56/56
Dismounting / moving towards Yeti / casting Guiding Bolt (Level 3) when in range

Raellus
 GM, 703 posts
 Sage
 Raconteur
Fri 16 Dec 2016
at 22:43
Re: Chapter 6: Out of the Black

With his companions scattered to the four winds, Corros stands alone against the charging Yeti. Heeding the involuntarily retreating Ranger's advice, the young warlock hurls a mote of magical fire at the monster; it strikes home in a brief burst of orange flame, leaving an angry-looking scorch mark in the beast's white belly fur (Yeti -8HP; next attack is at disadvantage). The successful spell attack fails to stop the monster's headlong charge, however. As it covers the intervening distance with long, loping strides, the Yeti's deep blue eyes are fixed on the warlock, and Corros can feel his body start to freeze up (Corros is paralyzed for 1 minute- CON save at the end of each turn to remove condition).

Unable to move, Corros can do little but await the ungentle caress of the monster's claws. The first blow lands hard. The second somehow manages to miss completely. (Corros -10HP).

Corros' companions, meanwhile, are doing everything that they can to come to his aid. Choosing expediency over caution, Nic leaps from the back of his galloping steed. He tumbles hard over the rocky ground before regaining his footing (Nic -2HP; -15' movement). He sprints towards Corros and the attacking Yeti but, realizing that he won't arrive within melee range quickly enough, Nic elects to use his darts. The projectile lodges itself in the Yeti's upper left arm, drawing a howl of annoyance and a trickle of crimson blood.

Jenna too tumbles from the saddle, getting to her feet slightly bruised but in one piece (Jenna -4 HP; -15' movement). She too races back towards the melee. Extending her arm, she launches a Guiding Bolt at the Yeti, blasting it with a burst of radiant energy. Staggering back, away from Corros, the beast roars in anger and pain (Yeti -23HP; Yeti grants advantage on all attacks until the end of Jenna's next turn).

Gronk hits the ground hard and rolls a few feet before coming to a stop (Gronk -5HP; -15' movement). The impact is painful enough, but the fresh wounds on his back make it damn-near excruciating. He climbs to his feet and quickly reorients himself. Wielding Spike above his head, the raging half-orc charges towards the fray, bellowing a guttural war cry.

After struggling briefly and with futility to calm her panicked horse, Zima decides to attempt a high speed dismount. Alone among all the adventurers, she manages to hit the ground on her feet. As her skidding landing comes to a halt, she turns to face the Yeti, unslings her bow, and notches an arrow. She fires twice from range, but misses with both shots.

OOC: Nic, Jenna, and Gronk can all reach the Yeti (i.e. melee range) and still take an action during the upcoming round. Corros is paralyzed until at least the end of the upcoming round, but can still communicate telepathically.


Your Turn.

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:50, Mon 19 Dec 2016.

Jenna Drax
 Adventurer, 438 posts
 Human Cleric
 Dave Ross
Sun 18 Dec 2016
at 16:25
Re: Chapter 6: Out of the Black
Seeing that Corros is the target of the beast's attack, Jenna feels a familiar mix of emotions coursing through her, a desire to protect her lover mingling with a raw anger that is directed at the source of the threat, an anger that is enough to make her eyes change colour several times, blue giving way to milky white that in is in turn speckled with black as she interjects herself between the monster and Corros, who appears to be making no moves to protect himself from its claws,

"Leave him be!" Jenna hisses as she places herself between the Yeti and the Warlock, the shield on her left arm raised to try and block its blows as she swings the warhammer held in her right, willing Arma to guide her blows as she tries to strike the beast down.

Jenna
AC: 21, HP 51/56
Melee Combat with Yeti, Warhammer +1
Using War Priest feature for bonus action (1st of 5)

Corros Graelor
 Adventurer, 394 posts
 Half-Elf Warlock
 keys138
Mon 19 Dec 2016
at 21:12
Re: Chapter 6: Out of the Black

Confidence in The Library drains rapidly from the warlock's mind as Corros feels his limbs succumb to the freezing effects of the Yeti's gaze.  There is fear to be sure, but also a touch of self-hatred and humor at putting himself in this situation.  Not the wisest decision, he muses around the pain of the Yeti's claws.  The fact that he can't scream in pain is probably what is keeping his thoughts relatively well put together.  Despite the paralysis, he can feel blood running down his side.  Claws hurt.

His allies are coming.  He knows it deep in his bones because he would be coming for them.  All he can do is try to will his mind and body free of this terrible prison.  And wait to get hit again.

I'm okay, he sends, trying to reassure his friends.  Just can't move.  Fear leaks through the channel, but not panic.


Corros
51/61 HP, AC 13
Trying to shake off paralysis
Con Save +3

Nicolai Romanelli
 Adventurer, 533 posts
 Human Expediter
 Tegyrius
Mon 19 Dec 2016
at 22:47
Re: Chapter 6: Out of the Black
The dagger comes into Nicolai's off-hand as he gauges the furry giant's reach and strength.  Be calm.  You've been worse, he tosses back at Corros as he closes on the yeti.  Then he's out of time for banter as Jenna interposes herself between the yeti and its intended victim.  Letting the priestess hold the creature's attention, he hooks around her right side, looking for a vital spot in which to plant his blades.

Nicolai
AC 16; HP 59/61; Superiority dice 4/4
Move: Into the fight
Attack: Rapier +1 (two attacks at +7, damage 1d8+4)
Bonus: Off-hand attack with dagger +1 (one attack at +7, damage 1d4+4)
Also: +2d6 sneak attack damage on first successful attack from Jenna's flanking

This message was last edited by the player at 22:48, Mon 19 Dec 2016.

Raellus
 GM, 704 posts
 Sage
 Raconteur
Tue 20 Dec 2016
at 00:54
Re: Chapter 6: Out of the Black

Jenna and Nic arrive almost simultaneously, attacking the yeti from opposite directions. The monster bats Jenna's first hammer blow aside, but the priestess is undeterred. Her next swing drives Arma's Blessing into the yeti's hip, producing an audible crack (Crit! Yeti -10HP).

Nic gives the creature no time to recover, thrusting twice at the yeti's unprotected back with his rapier. Reeling from Jenna's powerful hammer blow, the creature suddenly lurches into Nic's attack, neutralizing his primary weapon's reach. Not missing a beat, Nic makes his dagger the focal point of his offense, driving it deep into the yeti's torso, aiming for the spot behind which most humanoids' livers reside (Yeti -4HP). Mortally wounded, the beast arches its back and moans, then falls on its right side, where it lies motionless, steam, blood, and black bile escaping from the deep stab wound (Yeti is dead!).

As soon as the Yeti falls, Corros' strange paralysis ends. Gronk arrives too late to influence the outcome of the contest. The fight is over.

Zima pads up, fresh arrow knocked. "I've never seen or heard of a Yeti being down this far from the mountains this time of year." she says, shaking her head in disbelief.

"Lost my horse; couldn't get him under control. I can track them easily enough but which one do we go after first? Or do we go after them at all? If there're more monsters about...

"Where's Kerek?"



Your Turn.

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:11, Tue 20 Dec 2016.

Nicolai Romanelli
 Adventurer, 534 posts
 Human Expediter
 Tegyrius
Tue 20 Dec 2016
at 02:21
Re: Chapter 6: Out of the Black
Nicolai shrugs at Zima's observation on yeti migration.  "Wildlife.  Definitely your forte," he acknowledges, cleaning and sheathing his blades.

"Kerek's horse was taking him east, right behind mine," he observes, pointing in the appropriate direction.  "He'd probably appreciate not being eaten by something else horrible.  The horses, too," he adds sourly after a moment's reflection.

"Corros, Gronk, let me see to those before we start moving.  We don't want them to fester."  He rummages in his pack for a bandage and a packet of dried herbs.

Nicolai -2 poultices
Corros +10 hp
Gronk +12 hp

This message was last edited by the player at 02:25, Tue 20 Dec 2016.

Jenna Drax
 Adventurer, 439 posts
 Human Cleric
 Dave Ross
Tue 20 Dec 2016
at 11:03
Re: Chapter 6: Out of the Black
”My horse and the pack mount were still headed towards Yonder’s Hole.” Jenna muses in reply to Zima’s question about tracking the horses. ”We should probably go after Kerek.”

Seeing that Nicolai has the required healing well in hand the blonde haired Priestess then walks over to Corros, places her hand gently on his arm, her voice soft as she looks at the Warlock. ”Are you OK?”