#3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
Tavin
 player, 96 posts
 Cleric 1
 AC6 | 6HP
Thu 17 Dec 2015
at 08:13
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
"What exactly is the problem with delivering this message?" Tavin asked. "Is it too easy for you? Are you scared? Or maybe not scared enough? Why not go off to find a dragon to slay and take its treasure? We are here, we can deliver the message. If we encounter orcs, then we can dispatch them, make the roads that much safer, and maybe even rob them in turn. After that, then maybe we can go on a boat. Or lurk in cemeteries. But let's do this one thing now and find greater adventure afterwards."
Spryll
 player, 176 posts
 Halfling 1
 AC1 | 6HP
Thu 17 Dec 2015
at 17:11
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
Spryll chuckles at the jokes.  Dragons!  He doubted Argon was scared of anything, having faced those zombies with him in that horrendous cellar.  Spryll clears his throat and takes out that piece of paper from the SeaGuild master.

"Let's see here.  Verethorn, of the Wargrave plots.  There's no mention of pay, so ..." he lets that thought dangle.
Argon
 player, 113 posts
 Fighter 1
 AC-1 | 8HP
Thu 17 Dec 2015
at 19:01
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
In reply to Tavin (msg # 33):

"If you wish to buy us all a horse and possibly a cart for the dwarf then by all means open your purse, but the fact was the smith considered the job an after thought and was surprised we wanted to be bothered. If our potential employer is not that fussed why should we be? The cemetery is just outside of town and I thought as a cleric it is your duty to put down undead not deliver the post. But if your last run in with these things was a bit to much for your nerves we can look at setting you up with a mail service. Should we have a vote ?"
Tavin
 player, 97 posts
 Cleric 1
 AC6 | 6HP
Thu 17 Dec 2015
at 19:14
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
"Why do we need horses and a cart?" Tavin could not follow the logic. "As for the undead--I think it is clear from past experience that we are not ready to take them on in any significant number."
Spryll
 player, 177 posts
 Halfling 1
 AC1 | 6HP
Thu 17 Dec 2015
at 19:19
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
"I can go visit the Wargrave plots and learn more," Spryll volunteers.  It seemed like a nice day for a walk.
Argon
 player, 114 posts
 Fighter 1
 AC-1 | 8HP
Thu 17 Dec 2015
at 19:44
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
In reply to Tavin (msg # 36):

"Our armour for one and did the smith not say it was a days travel ? Let us go and see what the funeral guild are offering, then we can make the decision."

OOC: Slight edit.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:07, Thu 17 Dec 2015.

DM
 GM, 297 posts
Thu 17 Dec 2015
at 20:05
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
The party knows that the funerary guild has an office in Borth itself. You can ask for Verethorn there before actually traveling to Wargrave.
Spryll
 player, 178 posts
 Halfling 1
 AC1 | 6HP
Thu 17 Dec 2015
at 20:41
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
Spryll admits he can't recall if the lady dwarf mentioned how far away it was to this Inoc, but he can pop in again and ask her.  In fact, he does just that.

Then, he suggests they visit the constable regarding orc bounty, and the funerary guild.

"Once we have all the information we can make the best decision," he says.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:42, Thu 17 Dec 2015.

Ryland
 player, 68 posts
 Magic-User 1
 AC8 | 5HP
Thu 17 Dec 2015
at 20:48
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
"I believe that is a very sound idea," Ryland said with a nod. He made ready to walk with Spryll to Borth.
DM
 GM, 298 posts
Thu 17 Dec 2015
at 21:03
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
Gerdga tells Spryll that Inoc's smithy is a day's walk south of Borth, almost to Hyrpum along the Hyrpum road. Much of his trade is in wagon repair and shoeing horses for merchants and travelers following that route, she says.

At the nearest constabulary, the on-duty deskman, Rarder Ason, greets the adventurers.
Ryland
 player, 69 posts
 Magic-User 1
 AC8 | 5HP
Thu 17 Dec 2015
at 22:37
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
"Greetings, Constable," Ryland says politely, "Our company is here to inquire if there are any bounties currently being offered for orcs."
DM
 GM, 300 posts
Thu 17 Dec 2015
at 22:50
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
Ason looks at a piece of parchment to the side on the counter and grunts. "10 gold per right ear," he says. "A mite high if you ask me, but reports on the Hyrpum Road and other parts are on the increase."
Spryll
 player, 179 posts
 Halfling 1
 AC1 | 6HP
Thu 17 Dec 2015
at 23:05
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
"Ahhh, just what kind of reports?" Spryll wonders aloud, then coughs and asks the question politely.

His folk used a 'Sheriff', almost a one-man show with a huge dog to ride to boot.  The Sheriff would deputise others on the spot as needed, in cases where there was real trouble but in truth Spryll can't remember real trouble ever happening.

A ten gold bounty though, that wasn't bad at all.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:05, Thu 17 Dec 2015.

DM
 GM, 302 posts
Thu 17 Dec 2015
at 23:30
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
The deskman tilts his head in regard to the halfling's question. "Reports probably not too dissimilar from the reports that brought you here asking," he says, somewhat slowly. Then he grins. "You know, attacks on the road, and all that. Word around Borth lately is that a bunch of messengers were killed a month or so back. We've also heard about increased orc activity around the outlying farms."
Spryll
 player, 181 posts
 Halfling 1
 AC1 | 6HP
Thu 17 Dec 2015
at 23:34
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
Nodding more and and more vigorously, Spryll looks convinced and he thanks the man.  Trading in a bloody sack full of squishy body parts seemed barbaric, but he wasn't going to argue the point.

"There's orcs to be had in numbers, if we go look," he tells the others.
Thrardril
 player, 42 posts
 Dwarf 1
 AC1 | 8HP
Fri 18 Dec 2015
at 02:26
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
In reply to Spryll (msg # 47):

 "I be for the Orc bounties,that is good money for ridding the world of scum." The Dwarf puffed on his pipe, blowing smoke rings.
Argon
 player, 121 posts
 Fighter 1
 AC-1 | 8HP
Fri 18 Dec 2015
at 03:56
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
In reply to Thrardril (msg # 48):

"It would seem that the majority would like to follow the messenger so I will bow to the group will. Let us inform the smith."

This message was lightly edited by the player at 06:09, Fri 18 Dec 2015.

Thrardril
 player, 43 posts
 Dwarf 1
 AC1 | 8HP
Fri 18 Dec 2015
at 04:12
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
 "Argon, I am for what makes money, so I was with you on matters."
Tavin
 player, 100 posts
 Cleric 1
 AC6 | 6HP
Fri 18 Dec 2015
at 06:06
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
Tavin breathed a sigh of relief, afraid that the party would part ways over this matter. "With that decided, what preparations or purchases do you wish to make for the journey?"
Argon
 player, 122 posts
 Fighter 1
 AC-1 | 8HP
Fri 18 Dec 2015
at 06:11
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
In reply to Thrardril (msg # 50):

"There will be greater battles to be fought. We can concede for now and go mutilate some orc corpses."
Spryll
 player, 183 posts
 Halfling 1
 AC1 | 6HP
Fri 18 Dec 2015
at 17:01
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
Always in motion, the halfling trots back to the smith guild and steps in.

If Gerdga is there, he apologies for the delay and insists things are sorted out and they're happy to be hired for that wage.

"Uhm, that was 150 gold right?  Is that a written contract, or ... ?"

After taking care of that, what remains to be figured out with the lady dwarf is the actual message to give to Inoc (he assumes there is some formal written document to hand over), and finally, proper directions.  Once he has those details, Spyrll returns to the others.

Then it's time for lunch, a bath, a nap, dinner, then travel prep for the day's walk ahead.  "Orc hunt, here we go!" he whistles to himself.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:01, Fri 18 Dec 2015.

Ryland
 player, 71 posts
 Magic-User 1
 AC8 | 5HP
Fri 18 Dec 2015
at 17:12
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
"Hunting orcs it is, then,", Ryland said, after all had been decided. He felt a tightness in his gut as he made ready for the journey, silently wondering just how many foes the company would encounter.
DM
 GM, 306 posts
Fri 18 Dec 2015
at 18:43
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
"Aye, 150 gold for the party upon return receipt," she says, pausing the work that she'd resumed when the party left. "The message is this: Inoc is next in line to be guildmaster, and we need to begin that transition. The recipient is Inoc. His smithy -- called The Staff & Elm -- is a day's walk south of Borth. He's almost to Hyrpum along the Hyrpum Road."
Spryll
 player, 185 posts
 Halfling 1
 AC1 | 6HP
Fri 18 Dec 2015
at 18:49
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
Not trusting his memory, Spryll uses his inkpen to scratch those notes down, then leaves the smithy with a merry "We'll be back soon, farewell!"
Argon
 player, 124 posts
 Fighter 1
 AC-1 | 8HP
Tue 22 Dec 2015
at 21:21
Re: #3 Prologue: The Smithing Guild of Borth
In reply to Spryll (msg # 56):

Argon went back to the inn and collected his gear. he was checking it over when the others arrived at their designated meeting point. Looking up he said "Road looks clear and hopefully the weather holds." When the others were ready to go Argon forms up in the previous marching order and sets off.