#3 Act 1: The Hyrpum Road.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
Tavin
 player, 111 posts
 Cleric 1
 AC6 | 6HP
Thu 7 Jan 2016
at 08:42
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
"On that we agree, Thrardril," the young priest said as he took his usual position at the rear of the procession. "Perhaps this is the main path to a hamlet where our thief lives," he added, hoping the bugger didn't leave the easily-followed path.
DM
 GM, 632 posts
 DM 1
 AC | HP
Fri 25 Mar 2016
at 20:30
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
Making their way out of the recently uncovered tunnels and chambers -- discovered by orcs digging for the Jade Chalice -- the party emerges into daylight. By the sky, it seems to be early afternoon, and if the group presses on, south along the Hyrpum road, it seems reasonable that they'd reach Inoc's smithy, the Staff & Elm, by nightfall.

Let's work Mylvin into the marching order now that he's a PC: link to a message in this game.

Let me know about anything in particular you do before heading out, or while on the road.
Argon
 player, 256 posts
 Fighter 1
 AC-1 | 1/8HP
Fri 25 Mar 2016
at 20:49
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road

Having taken his shield off his back and unsheathed his sword Argon pressed on along the road. He was quiet concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other. He could not help but think of the companions they had lost and every now and then he would search the sky for the dragon. "Let us keep the information about the dragon under our hats for now don't want to start a gold rush."
Ryland
 player, 163 posts
 Magic-User 1
 AC 8 | 1/5 HP
Sat 26 Mar 2016
at 15:11
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
Ryland nodded in a agreement. "Or to send a handful of foolhardy treasure seekers to their doom."
Padraig
 player, 42 posts
 Fighter 1
 AC 1 | 1/9 HP
Sat 26 Mar 2016
at 23:12
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
Padraig seems aghast. "We just lost friends down there! That dragon is a menace! We have to alert the authorities at least. Maybe find a wandering knight to help us slay the beast.

"We should at least try to recover the bodies of the others when the dragon has settled down again."

Argon
 player, 257 posts
 Fighter 1
 AC-1 | 1/8HP
Sat 26 Mar 2016
at 23:48
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
In reply to Padraig (msg # 79):

"Oh I agree we need to deal with the thing, but I don't think it will cause any trouble. It has not up to now and has gone largely unnoticed by the locals. Lets get to an inn rest up and then try again."
Tavin
 player, 166 posts
 Cleric 1
 AC6 | 1/6HP
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 05:29
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
"They dead don't care wear they lie," Tavin said. "And I fear it will require more than just rest until we are ready to try again."
Raven
 player, 94 posts
 Thief 1
 AC 5 | 1/3 HP
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 16:58
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
"The priest is right," Raven said. "The only thing we'll do for our lost comrades is give them company in the next world. There is no win to be had here, only more death. Let's put some distance between us and this debacle, bed down for the night and tomorrow we'll find a place to hole up and decide our next move."

He placed his bow back into place across his shoulder, then made an "after you" gesture, pointing down the Hyrpum road.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:58, Mon 28 Mar 2016.

DM
 GM, 634 posts
 DM 1
 AC | HP
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 17:05
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
The party continues down the Hyrpum Road toward Hyrpum, keeping an eye open for the dragon or any dragon sign. The rest of the day passes uneventfully, and as the light of the day turns toward sundown, the group sees a crossroad of sorts up ahead.

The crossroad is small, little more than a small rough-hewn home and an outbuilding, where wagon tracks approach and meet the road from both sides of the road. The outbuilding has an open front, a chimney still trailing smoke, and a sign hanging by short chains from the eaves.

The handmade sign features the image of a leaf of some kind crossed by a wooden walking stick or stave. Inside, the group can hear the clanking of metal on metal.
Argon
 player, 258 posts
 Fighter 1
 AC-1 | 1/8HP
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 18:48
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road

"It looks as if we may have found our blacksmith." Argon approaches the structure looking for the source of the noise and hopefully someone that they can deliver the message to if this is the right place.
DM
 GM, 635 posts
 DM 1
 AC | HP
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 19:05
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
Inside the dim light of the smithy, Argon can see a tan-skinned shirtless man, about 5'4", with red-orange hair and a full beard and mustache, hammering out a blade on an anvil. He is left handed.
Argon
 player, 259 posts
 Fighter 1
 AC-1 | 1/8HP
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 19:07
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
In reply to DM (msg # 85):

"Ah... excuse me." He raises his hand to try and get the man attention.
DM
 GM, 636 posts
 DM 1
 AC | HP
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 19:14
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
The man finishes working the blade, dipping it into a nearby bucket of water. Leaning back from the emergent steam somewhat, he lays his hammer down and wipes his brow. "May I help you?"
Argon
 player, 260 posts
 Fighter 1
 AC-1 | 1/8HP
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 19:27
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
In reply to DM (msg # 87):

"Inoc is it ? We have a message from the The Smithing Guild of Borth: You are the next in line to be guildmaster, and they need to begin that transition."
DM
 GM, 637 posts
 DM 1
 AC | HP
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 19:39
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
"Yes, I am Inoc. This is the Staff & Elm," he says. His brow furrows, as he listens, removing the blade from the water and placing it on a marred wooden countertop. "Who sent the message?"
Argon
 player, 261 posts
 Fighter 1
 AC-1 | 1/8HP
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 20:04
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
In reply to DM (msg # 89):

"Gerdga."
DM
 GM, 638 posts
 DM 1
 AC | HP
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 20:20
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
The man wipes his hands as he walks away from the hot metal. He breaks into a friendly grin. "I had hoped to avoid this particular honor," he says. "But we all must take our turn."

He reaches into a small bin on a shelf along one wall, bringing out a single nail. He hands it to Argon. "Take this back to Gerdga, and she will know that we've spoken. Tell her I'll tend to matters here and come to Borth by week's end to discuss succession."
Argon
 player, 262 posts
 Fighter 1
 AC-1 | 1/8HP
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 20:53
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
In reply to DM (msg # 91):

"Thank you I will give this to her. I was wondering if you would require and escort as the road has been hard for my companions and myself and we could do with a rest or if not could we stay for a couple of days before departing again ?"
DM
 GM, 639 posts
 DM 1
 AC | HP
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 21:00
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
He suddenly seems to realize the shape the party is in, his eyes widening in concern. "Of course," he says. "I've been remiss as a host, mistaking you for customers." He takes off his leather apron and grabs a towel from off a hook to wipe his body as he walks toward the bellows and fire to turn the fire down for the night.

"You must be hungry and tired," he says. "You're welcome to stay as long as you'd like -- though I have no room in my home. Is out of doors sufficient?"

He pauses, then, brow furrowing. "I have heard more and more of dangers along what has long been a safe road: Stories of bandits, and items taken in the night. You must tell me of your travels after you've bathed and established camp. I will cook for us all." He quickly counts the number of people in the party, eyes taking in each party member one by one.
Argon
 player, 263 posts
 Fighter 1
 AC-1 | 1/8HP
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 21:09
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
In reply to DM (msg # 93):

Argon nods before adding "Thank you very much it has been a... long road and a camp will be very welcome as well as a hot meal." He lowers his pack off his arm and looks to find a seat.
DM
 GM, 640 posts
 DM 1
 AC | HP
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 21:11
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
After shaking Argon's hand, Inoc greets each party member in turn: Arlie, Mylvin, Padraig, Raven, Ronin, and Ryland. He closes the gate to the smithy and pulls down a shutter, affixing it with a strand of leather thong.

Then, he turns to head toward his small home, leaving the party to establish camp and get organized.
DM
 GM, 654 posts
 DM 1
 AC | HP
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 21:03
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
The next morning, the party rises and packs up camp. Inoc is also packed and ready for the day's walk north to Borth. He shuts down his smithy, shuttering his small home, and -- after feeding the adventurers a morning meal -- heads north on the road with the group.

The walk north toward Borth is uneventful, and -- unless the party makes any stops along the way (Inoc does ask if you'll point out where the Rock in the Wood is located, roughly) -- the party returns to Borth by nightfall.
Argon
 player, 275 posts
 Fighter 1
 AC-1 | 1/8HP
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 21:31
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road

Argon found the inn where they had stayed the first time in the village and reserved several rooms for him and his companions. If there was time after the inn he would go with the rest of the party to receive their payment from the guild.
Ryland
 player, 171 posts
 Magic-User 1
 AC 8 | 1/5 HP
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 23:13
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
Ryland felt a genuine sense of relief when Borth finally came into view. The young mage craved a rest and time to study the mysterious spellbook he had taken from the wizard that had led the orcs.
Raven
 player, 100 posts
 Thief 1
 AC 5 | 1/3 HP
Wed 13 Apr 2016
at 18:34
#3 Act One: The Hyrpum Road
Raven walked into the inn with Argon and stood quietly as the fighter reserved the rooms. He secretly hoped they'd grab some sleep and handle guild business in the morning. Between nearly dying, sleeping out in the open in a dragon's territory and the all-day hike to get to Borth, he couldn't recall the last time he'd been this tired.