--IC-- Gariland: The Library.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Dungeon Master
 GM, 216 posts
Mon 11 Sep 2017
at 14:11
--IC-- Gariland: The Library

Off of the main square, this small library seems to be not noticed. Thought it seems small on the outside, it has three floors making it look larger on the inside. First and second floor is the basic libary and upon the third is a private area with the libarians living areas. A small desk on the first and second floor is the main area for the scribes and librarians. The head libarian moves around often, sometimes here and other times elsewhere upon the island. It seems relatively peaceful.

Alis Sunfound
 Human Oracle, 1 post
Mon 11 Sep 2017
at 18:46
--IC-- Gariland: The Library
For her, this day began as had numerous others since she's first come to reside and to work here.

She arose always at dawn and, after cleaning and grooming, walked to the building's eastern side, where she sat cross-legged on its small terrace and there meditated, bathed in the ruddy light of morning.    After concluding, she joined the others for a short, small breakfast, that (for her) never consisted of anything other than water and fruit.

Then it was time to set about the tasks of the day.

Oh, it might have seemed tedious, boring work to some. (And, well, truth told, sometimes she felt that way...)    But, there was an order and peace about the old place that suited her nature.  And, she felt it relevant work, as well.    Learning and understanding were, after all, what separated citizens from savages.

Dusting was the very first thing to which she would attend, before the doors opened.    There was plenty of that to do.   Some of her fellow staff didn't seem to care about it, so much, but she did!   Feather duster in hand, she made her way to the second floor, where she began work on the geography books and shelves.   The morning's rays growingly illumined the stained glass set high in the east wall -- symbolically relating Pelor's light with the enlightenment brought by learning.

It was an inspiring symbolism for her, in particular, and she'd always liked working beneath it.   Even more so as the noon hour approached, and the blessed sunlight shined at its peak.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:14, Tue 12 Sept 2017.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 217 posts
Tue 12 Sep 2017
at 16:53
--IC-- Gariland: The Library
The head librarian approaches her with a sadden look upon his face. He knows she wanted to be in the Pelorian library but here is where she belonged. He motions for her to sit, adjusting his cane. Taking a deep breath, he speaks."How are you faring? The work here you have done is interesting and decent." As polite as he may be, something is bothering him. He presses his hand to his face, coughing a few times."We must talk. The others are below us and providing us some privacy. It is about your parents my dear."
Alis Sunfound
 Human Oracle, 2 posts
Tue 12 Sep 2017
at 18:36
--IC-- Gariland: The Library
The approach of the head librarian was nothing out of the ordinary --  often, he had some specific tasks he wished to assign, at the beginning of the day.

But, this time, there was something different in his demeanor.  His words took her by surprise, and she immediately ceased dusting.  Her lips parted slightly, and she blinked several times, while she strove to be certain that she'd heard correctly, and already dreading some grave news.

"Yes, sir?  Has - has something happened?"

This message was last edited by the player at 19:15, Tue 12 Sept 2017.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 219 posts
Tue 12 Sep 2017
at 20:51
--IC-- Gariland: The Library
"Your father is missing and so is your mother." The old man watches her and sighs."I told them they should live in Gariland but they refused. You do know this. Your father was a stubborn man but he viewed you as a light in his life. And your mother, such a warm person." He goes to rest a hand upon her shoulder.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:54, Tue 12 Sept 2017.

Alis Sunfound
 Human Oracle, 3 posts
Wed 13 Sep 2017
at 17:25
--IC-- Gariland: The Library
Missing.

While it was far from the worst of possible answers, it was upsetting enough. Her parents weren't the sort of people whom were given to spontaneous outings.   They were home oriented, hard working, community focused;  their lives were the family business, the homestead, their friends.   They wouldn't just pick up and go somewhere...

And her father was a stubborn man, yes...especially so in regards to staying in the home he'd inherited from his own father.  But, he also possessed a great heart, a genuine concern for the people in his life.   And her mother was warm...a truly loving and nurturing person.

They'd taken in an orphaned girl, made a real home for her, given her what they could afford, and what mattered most in a child's life. The idea that something awful might have befallen them...that, perhaps, someone had done them harm...

She couldn't go there.   And, dwelling on awful possibilities wasn't going to help them. But, she might be able to.  She glanced up at her employer:

"Sir...I must know what has happened!  How did you learn they are missing?   Is there any idea what may have befallen them?"

This message was last edited by the player at 20:21, Wed 13 Sept 2017.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 220 posts
Fri 15 Sep 2017
at 13:03
--IC-- Gariland: The Library
"Your father comes here about two weeks to trade. He never arrived. Perhaps he is delay but its been three weeks. I worry for the both of them. Perhaps I am deeply wrong and I apologize but I feel something is dire. I assume you wish to find them?" The man sits down and watches her."I cannot allow it. You have never been outside these walls for quite some time. But I feel you want to. I do not have much in power but I can perhaps put a word out to the Temple and see what aid can be found. Most who come here don't leave. Safety in numbers and with the guard growing it makes sense. But some prefer to live out in the island." He rubs his chin.
Alis Sunfound
 Human Oracle, 4 posts
Fri 15 Sep 2017
at 18:11
--IC-- Gariland: The Library
She nodded-  "I see. I appreciate your concern, sir, as well as your offer to contact the temple. My place here means a good deal to me, it always has.  But...I don't think I can stay, and work, and wait, and hope someone else will find them.  I think that I need to go...now, before it's too late."

If, by Pelor's grace, it was not already too late...
Dungeon Master
 GM, 221 posts
Mon 18 Sep 2017
at 12:50
--IC-- Gariland: The Library
Rubbing his chin, he leans forwards."You cannot be serious! I cannot allow it. If you truly wish to find them I must admit you cannot go alone." His hands now rest upon the table."You will need a tracker. Oh and a warrior. Perhaps others."
Alis Sunfound
 Human Oracle, 5 posts
Mon 18 Sep 2017
at 18:46
--IC-- Gariland: The Library
Her very first thought was that she didn't wish others to become embroiled in any sort of trouble on her behalf.   But then, her more practical side led her to acknowledge that, quite probably, she did need such help.   That her father and mother's lives might even depend upon her having it.

"I am serious, sir, and quite determined.  And I admit such aid may well be needed."   There was perhaps an obstacle, however-  "But...I do not have an abundance of money.  Won't such assistants want to be well paid?"
Dungeon Master
 GM, 222 posts
Wed 20 Sep 2017
at 16:48
--IC-- Gariland: The Library
Rubbing his chin, the old man sighs."I can put out a word that some are need to aid you. Indeed. I don't like it but I felt you would not take no as a answer. Your home is here whenever you return." He nods but seems a little hurt."I have a bit of money to spend so I can pay them ones you come back to me with word of what happened. Such a small errand. I don't think the ones in charge would even bother. A shame." Another sigh.
Alis Sunfound
 Human Oracle, 6 posts
Thu 21 Sep 2017
at 19:20
--IC-- Gariland: The Library
Although it was a distant concern compared to finding her parents, she did experience a little relief that her position was secure, whenever she might return.

"Thank you, thank you so much!  Of course, I would be so willing to work to repay such help.   I do have something to give them -- but I know the fees for such services can add up quickly." 

She concurred as to the ones in charge acting too slowly, if at all, to save her loved ones.   It was much of the reason why she had to go herself.

"I shall go prepare to leave, then.   The Sun-Father willing, I won't be gone for too long."       But, she had some feeling that it would be otherwise...

As Alis inclined her head to her employer, then turned to make her way back up to her room, one hand went to the small, bronze, sun-symbol that dangled about her neck.

If ever she'd needed Sun-Father's guidance and blessing, she needed it now.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 224 posts
Fri 29 Sep 2017
at 13:05
--IC-- Gariland: The Library
The old man nods and stands up, moving to give her a hug before turning and heading back down to the main floor. He seems rather tired from this as well.

When the woman gets to her room, there is a small bag and two potions awaiting her.
Alis Sunfound
 Human Oracle, 8 posts
Sun 1 Oct 2017
at 22:39
--IC-- Gariland: The Library
Entering the small living space where she'd resided since first becoming staff here, her eyes were drawn immediately to the things that had been placed on her bed.   By her employer, surely-?   Had he really been so certain that she would insist on leaving?

She crossed the short distance to the bed, passing the room's window, with its view of the city square and park that she'd always enjoyed.   There, she reached down and gently opened the bag, inspecting its content...
Dungeon Master
 GM, 225 posts
Fri 6 Oct 2017
at 19:02
--IC-- Gariland: The Library
The bag has several coins within it. It looks like about 20 gold.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:02, Fri 06 Oct 2017.

Alis Sunfound
 Human Oracle, 9 posts
Mon 9 Oct 2017
at 18:29
--IC-- Gariland: The Library
Well, it would certainly help...she didn't have an abundance of money.   She likewise examined the flasks, although if they were not labeled, her understanding of potions was scant.

With no more ado, she set about packing her things, and making her final preparation to go.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 227 posts
Tue 17 Oct 2017
at 02:41
--IC-- Gariland: The Library
As she turns to leave, a note is upon the door tacked there. Another librarian walks by and smiles at her before she turns as a guard enters the library.
Alis Sunfound
 Human Oracle, 11 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 19:30
--IC-- Gariland: The Library
She returned the smile of her fellow librarian rather halfheartedly, her attentions being elsewhere given the circumstance.   She reached for the note on the door, curious to see what it was, who wrote it, when she abruptly heard and then saw the approach of the...guard!

"Are - are looking for me?" she asked.  "I'm Alis, the tanner's daughter.  Is there some word about what may have happened to my parents?"