Mission 2: Secrets.   Posted by The unifying force.Group: 0
The unifying force
 GM, 171 posts
Sat 2 Jul 2016
at 18:31
Mission 2: Secrets
Despite not being able to agree unanimously on a destination, one is nonetheless eventually chosen. And so the sentinel soon jumps into hyperspace, giving each of you a chance to relax and spend some quality time doing whatever you like to do.

The next day the interdictor cruiser falls out of hyperspace and approaches a dark green jungle planet. There doesn't seem to be any technology on the majority of the planet, certainly there's no obvious sign of cities or industry or anything. Just massive jungle forest and occasionally some truly huge lakes.

The captain calls each of you into his office, and brings up a small screen showing a detailed scan of the planet, which seems to have revealed a bunker entrance.

"Looks like the only building on the entire planet. And it's not large either. But it seems to lead down deeper. I would suggest taking one of the lambda shuttles, setting down nearby and checking out whatever this place is"
GS-974
 player, 49 posts
Tue 5 Jul 2016
at 13:30
Mission 2: Secrets
"A secure location. We should expect resistance" the stormtrooper warned.
Ooli Geduca
 player, 95 posts
 Lieutenant
Tue 5 Jul 2016
at 15:06
Mission 2: Secrets
Ooli spends the down time half relaxing and half practicing her shooting.  Wherever they are headed, it will not be a smooth ride.

"Negotiation is probably off the table." Ooli nodded. "We may be able to approach subtly until we get to the bunker entrance, but beyond that there will be no guarantees that we won't have a fight on our hands.  If there's no sign of activity so far, we could probably land within two kilos without fear of being shot down, but there are no guarantees that they might not have sensors if that bunker is a manned facility."

"The good news is they don't have anywhere to call in reinforcements form, though that bunker could be filled to the brim with hostiles."  She looked at the display.  "Here's hoping that they're depending on secrecy rather than firepower to protect this place."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:07, Tue 05 July 2016.

Kalis Bantha
 player, 127 posts
Wed 6 Jul 2016
at 07:54
Mission 2: Secrets
Kalis spent some time examining the reports downloaded from Alaina's computer and other traces of data collected from it and the droid. He tried to build up information about the case and to reconstruct her investigation into the pirate and kidnapping problems. Afterward, he trained and meditated, focusing on the patience of the Bantha. This was not his quest, but the task of rescuing the stolen younglings, like stray calves threatened by predators, was nevertheless worthy of the Bantha.

OOC: Now we've got some time, can Kalis learn anything new from the data or reports? Are there any other leads to follow?

*

At the meeting with the captain, Kalis was surprised to see a bunker revealed on that untamed jungle planet, having not expected they'd find anything. Without evidence or probability, they'd come to this world on nothing more than a hunch or was it feeling, intuition, and instinct, the guidance of the Force, as shaped by the hooves of the Bantha? Perhaps he should have trusted his own instinct, not cautious reasoning. Where would the Bantha go? Not to the industrial world of unstable climate, but to fertile pastures.

'They won't get many visitors here not even Dim-U door-knockers grazing for charity... Infiltration may be needed.'

This message was last edited by the player at 11:55, Thu 07 July 2016.

The unifying force
 GM, 172 posts
Wed 6 Jul 2016
at 11:23
Mission 2: Secrets
The captain nods and sends you on your way. Inside the hangar there's a lambda shuttle waiting for you and a pilot to fly you down. Once you're all seated in the cockpit, the shuttle starts heading down and pretty soon you find yourself in the atmosphere. This planet has a thick layer of clouds surrounding it, but once you've cleared the clouds you see a massive jungle stretch out before you. Twice during this trip you see a flying lizard come dangerously close towards the shuttle, and these are massive creatures, with wingspans of at least 20ft, if not more.

It takes the pilot a while to find a suitable landing place, but eventually he finds a clearing. It looks like there has been a fire here recently, and that's created a natural clearing. Though the shuttle crushes some trees and plants that have turned to blackened ash.

Once settled down the pilot opens the door, and let's in oppressive wet air. The place is incredibly humid and very warm. You feel like the entire planet might serve as a sauna, and it's hard not to start sweating from the moment the door is opened.

"We're 2,1 clicks from the entrance, which is due southwest, i'll remain here and protect the shuttle for when you are ready to return"

Tomen Brakkaar
 player, 55 posts
 "Balance is the key
 to true power."
Wed 6 Jul 2016
at 16:09
Mission 2: Secrets
In reply to Ooli Geduca (msg # 3):

"I don't know about.  That there are always aggressive negotiations as an option."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the shuttle lands Tomen breaths in the hot humid air. Ah. He thinks. That reminds me of the jungles of Golenth back home. Walking down the ramp he stretches out from the trip and takes a deep breath. "Ah. Smell that air!" He says with a smile.
Ooli Geduca
 player, 96 posts
 Lieutenant
Wed 6 Jul 2016
at 18:09
Mission 2: Secrets
Ooli smiles underneath the helmet of her modified Imperial issue armored flight suit.  Seeing a comrade smile in this kind of situation takes the edge off a little bit.  However, she still has to put her game face on, even if none of these people will see it until they're back on the shuttle, mission accomplished.

"Keep your weapons ready.  I don't know if the local flora and fauna are more dangerous than the people in that bunker, but it never hurts to be ready." She surveys the landing zone.  "We'll do a comms check again when we arrive at the bunker.  Monitor the frequency we discussed in the briefing and keep your eyes peeled."

Hopefully, this would be two kilometers of uneventful walking, a simple bunker clearing, and an uneventful walk back.
The unifying force
 GM, 173 posts
Thu 7 Jul 2016
at 11:35
Mission 2: Secrets
The journey through the thick jungle is not easy, it's so thick, full of flies and other buzzing insects, there is undergrowth everywhere, and your feet keep getting stuck in vines and pools of mud. Even so you press on bravely. But about 30 minutes of really difficult movement, you reach a strange path. It looks like a game trail, but the footprints left by these creatures is massive. A single footprint seems to be almost 2 feet wide. And if it's that's it foot, the creature must be large indeed.

The trail seems to be heading in the direction you need to go, but do you wish to follow it, or brave the jungle again?
Kalis Bantha
 player, 128 posts
Thu 7 Jul 2016
at 12:28
Mission 2: Secrets
Kalis writhed uncomfortably in the humidity, and tried to loosen his robes. He was used to the heat, but that was the dry heat of Tatooine, not this damp, sticky air. He sniffed deeply like a bantha, taking in ash and warmth and decaying vegetation. 'I'd rather not.' he answered Tomen.

But he would adapt, like the bantha. Kalis moved through the jungle with a Zabrak's determination and a bantha's stoicism, uncomplaining but pressing ever on, stopping only to help others pass difficult terrain.

The terrain grew very difficult when he leapt a large depression, before Kalis turned around to help the next person across and saw it was, in fact, an enormous footprint. 'By the Bantha...' he breathed.

He considered the trail ahead, the same taken by the behemoth. 'Well, I'd rather have it in front and moving away from us.' he suggested, but wasn't convinced.
Tomen Brakkaar
 player, 56 posts
 "Balance is the key
 to true power."
Fri 8 Jul 2016
at 00:06
Mission 2: Secrets
"The force has led us here, I suggest we follow it." Tomen says serenely. He then moves towards the trail.
The unifying force
 GM, 174 posts
Fri 8 Jul 2016
at 11:41
Mission 2: Secrets
You carry on along the path, and make much better time. But after about 5 minutes, you start to notice a bad stench, a really bad stench. And going around a corner you see a dead animal. The animal itself is huge, larger than a bantha. But it's more similar to a dewback, it has the same grayish skin color and seems to be more lizard than mammal. It doesn't seem dangerous, even if it had been alive. It's long neck and tail might hurt if they hit you. But it has large flat teeth, made for eating trees and grass, and it's eyes are far apart, all signs that this was a herbivore.

Indeed perhaps the most interesting and terrifying discovery about this corpse are the massive chunks of flesh ripped from it's flank. Those of you who know anything about the wilderness know enough to recognize a predator's feasting. Except these bite marks are enormous. It looks like bites the size of a human torso were ripped from the flesh.
Tomen Brakkaar
 player, 57 posts
 "Balance is the key
 to true power."
Fri 8 Jul 2016
at 15:07
Mission 2: Secrets
"Interesting," Tomen says softly. "Whatever killed that and ate it, must be enormous. I suggest silence and caution from here on out."
Ooli Geduca
 player, 97 posts
 Lieutenant
Fri 8 Jul 2016
at 21:59
Mission 2: Secrets
"Yes.  Let's stay quiet and as out of sight as we can."
Kalis Bantha
 player, 129 posts
Sat 9 Jul 2016
at 06:18
Mission 2: Secrets
At first, Kalis was afraid it was a dead bantha. Though it turned out not to be, he gazed sadly at the deceased reptilian, mourning a fellow grazer. He touched his horns and bowed his head to send its spirit on to the fields beyond.

''Those fliers we saw, those prints, this thing they grow 'em big on this world.' he remarked. ''Let's hope whatever did this is no longer hungry.'
The unifying force
 GM, 175 posts
Sun 10 Jul 2016
at 19:39
Mission 2: Secrets
You head on through the thick jungle, though the path makes it a lot easier. And eventually you reach the bunker. It's dark grey and has a certain old fashioned imperial look to it. Straight lines, no ornaments, very simple but with a thick heavy door. There is however a problem, a very large problem with enormous teeth.



The massive creature seems to have caught a smaller lizard and is devouring it's prey right in front of the bunker. It doesn't seem to have noticed you, but if it did, you can't shake the feeling that it might think you all deliciously bite sized.
Tomen Brakkaar
 player, 58 posts
 "Balance is the key
 to true power."
Mon 11 Jul 2016
at 15:22
Mission 2: Secrets
As Tomen slips behind a large tree, he speaks softly. "Let's wait for it to move."
GS-974
 player, 50 posts
Mon 11 Jul 2016
at 20:57
Mission 2: Secrets
"Roger that" GS-974 agreed with Tomen. The stormtrooper was taking no chances however. GS-974 moved behind a tree and propped the barrel of his rifle in the crook of a branch. He tracked the movement of the beast through the weapon's sights and watched as it moved, ready to put the beast down if it became aggressive against them.
Ooli Geduca
 player, 98 posts
 Lieutenant
Mon 11 Jul 2016
at 23:05
Mission 2: Secrets
Ooli sought her own cover slowly and quietly, trying to avoid attention.  Maybe the creature would move on on its own.  However, she had a plan.  If she needed to, she could use her datapad as a distraction.

It'd be a really, really expensive distraction to set the alarm timer on it, toss it away from them, and then hope the creature would go after it, though.
Kalis Bantha
 player, 130 posts
Tue 12 Jul 2016
at 02:16
Mission 2: Secrets
Kalis looked up, and up, at the savage behemoth, reminded much too closely of a rancor or a krayt dragon. 'The Bantha protect us. he breathed in awe, touched his horns, calling the blessing of the prey to ward off the predator.

Composing himself, he started walking swiftly away from the trail. 'Let's get well away from the trail it'll probably come back along.' he warned softly. 'We can use this distraction to approach the bunker, if we circle around it. All eyes inside will be on that thing.'
The unifying force
 GM, 176 posts
Wed 13 Jul 2016
at 10:34
Mission 2: Secrets
The massive creature drops it's prey right in front of the bunker's entrance and growls low, then starts to eat, tearing great chunks of flesh the from the bones and devouring them rapidly. It seems to have no trouble snapping bones like twigs, but it does look like it's settling in for a while.
GS-974
 player, 51 posts
Wed 27 Jul 2016
at 08:50
Mission 2: Secrets
The creature had not listened to Tomen. It wasn't going anywhere. GS-974 looked to Kalis. The Zabrak moved with purpose, better than sitting there waiting to be tore limb from limb by the massive beast.

"Roger that" he agreed and lifted his rifle from its perch. He kept the weapon slung under his arm and readied "I'll cover any threat from outside" he moved into position with Kalis, trusting the other man as his soldierly training had taught him to do. Kalis could keep his eyes on the beast whilst the stormtrooper kept an eye on any other threats. Then they could begin their patrol.