The Caravan.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Ardul'ssysn Sethomiir
 player, 24 posts
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 01:26
The Caravan
With the battle over and the archer surrendering, she moves up in his direction.  There was something she heard before she fell and wanted to investigate it.

The robed figure that she took down with a missile.  He was something she wanted to see face to face.  As she was walking closer she noticed the huge figure that come out of the woods and speaking to the party.

A half-orc she thought as she was standing over the body of the robed figure to investigate and to strip him of all items.
Xaz
 player, 30 posts
 Goblin Wizard
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 01:35
The Caravan
It was a wonderful thing when he heard that orc announce his surrender. Finally they can put this little battle to it's end. Xaz coughs a little, trying to prepare himself for the best gnome impression he can muster. My my, this seem like quite an unfortunate incident, my dear fellows. But not to worry. We from Talondeep Mountains have warred for many years with their kind and I have studied their language. And this fellow clearly says... But then that other big fella, the Half-Orc says it before him. Yes indeed, that is quite right. He wants to surrender. Xaz struggled to keep a straight tone of voice as it was totally alien for him to talk like this and he had to keep himself from slipping or bursting into laughter. But his voracious reading habits and spying on civilized folk bore it's fruit, in some ways. Still, he felt kind of silly. If his momma heard him, she would hit him over the head with a stick. Well, she would most likely hit him with a stick regardless of what he sounded like. As the drow went to check the fallen spellcaster, Xaz moved over to the unconcious orc warrior and stripped him of weapons and items. Would any of you gentlemen mind lending me a hand with this fellow? Perhaps someone could fetch a rope?
Dungeon Master
 GM, 73 posts
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 01:50
The Caravan
Ardul'syssn removes the Wizard's hood to confirm her suspicions. Under that robe was not an orc or a half-orc, but a male drow. He wore a headband on his head with a small blue gem socketed inside. Further inspection of his things reveals a handful of scrolls, his spellbook, a shiny golden ring, 2 potions, a pouch with 50 gold coins and something that seems to be a letter. She clearly recognizes the language of her people, but the text doesn't make sense to her as it appears to be written in some kind of cipher.

The orc warrior Xaz is disarming doesn't have much. He wears studded leather armor and still has his javelin and falchion. The falchion appears to be of an unusually high quality (masterwork). The orcs seemed to travel light, as raiders generally do.
Xaz
 player, 31 posts
 Goblin Wizard
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 01:56
The Caravan
After someone helps him with the orc, Xaz begins to search for valuables on the other orcs (provided someone else doesn't beat him to it first). He gathers everything that appears to be of value and gathers it on a pile next to the spellcaster's body. Next, he casts a spell to detect any magic items among those on the spellcaster and on the pile, taking his time to study it carefully.

Cast Detect Magic.

Spellcraft roll if needed: Xaz rolled 17 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 9.  Spellcraft.

Johan von Scharnhorst
 player, 30 posts
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 02:06
The Caravan
"Thank you," Johan says to the drow woman as she heals Warlan's wounds. He turns to the halfling's dog. "And thank you as well, my noble warrior!" he says with a smile and a two handed scritching behind both ears. He hears Targg's words overriding Xaz's voice, and with a final pat of the dog's head he adds, "Let's go see to the prisoner."

Johan uses his sword to get back to his feet, and is surprised to see the face attached to the strange voice. He limps closer to Targg as he travels toward the archer, his sword held casually low. "Thank you for your most timely assistance," he says to Targg. "Forgive me if I assume wrongly, do you know anything of these orcs? Such as what is their tribe, where are their lands, and such?" He also makes a motion with his free hand towards Xaz, beckoning him to come closer.
Ardul'ssysn Sethomiir
 player, 25 posts
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 02:06
The Caravan
Her eyes widen when the truth is revealed, but she also wanted to see if he possessed a House Insignia.  That would surely let her know if he was sent to get her or working on his own.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 74 posts
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 02:11
The Caravan
The spellbook, 4 scrolls and 2 potions show a magical aura, as does the wizard's headband that shows a trace of a moderate transmutation aura, his ring with a faint abjuration aura. The greatsword of the Orc Barbarian also has a magical aura as do his gauntlets that show a transmutation aura. The masterwork falchion isn't magical at all.

All Orc warriors have studded leather armor, a falchion (only orc warrior 3 had a masterwork one) and one javelin. Orc archers have studded leather armor, normal shortbows, 12 normal arrows and each has a standard dagger.

Ardul'syssn doesn't manage to find any insignias on the drow. Whomever he was, it was unlikely that he was of any high station among the drow and most likely he was a servant of someone greater. He seemed to be operating in secrecy.
S'Faer
 player, 7 posts
 Man's best friend or
 in this case, Halflings
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 02:12
The Caravan
For being the Halflings companion, he's taken a liking to Johan for the moment and chooses to follow him as he helps Xaz with the orcs, sniffing about each corpse as he helps to look for anything that has fallen or become unseen by the eye.
Meekina D'Lork
 player, 57 posts
 She who is unlike
 is gift of Gods requited
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 02:15
The Caravan
Meekina slowly makes move to rise to her feet, gentling brushing at her skirts and wincing at tender spots. With an approving smirk on her face, she shakes her head watching S'Faer paw off with a couple of the survivors. "Traitor" she murmurs affectionately under her breath as she looks around.

" What of the others? " Her voice raises slightly, full of concern. She dare not wander by herself to look, but they were merely one group among many yet the woods appear to have fell dreadfully silent.
Xaz
 player, 32 posts
 Goblin Wizard
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 02:16
The Caravan
After he finished binding the prisoner and detecting magic in the items, Xaz nervously approached the paladin when he was called by him.
Erinas
 NPC, 1 post
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 02:27
The Caravan
The fighting dies down as what orcs remained flee to the hills. The red-haired bard apologizes to Johan "I came here as soon as I could. My apologies that I couldn't do more. But atleast I got some inspiration for my new song." he smiles but then turns solemn again. "My name is Erinas, a bard and a poet. Forgive my manners, but I have to see to the others that may need my healing or assistance. Take care now. They might come back." with that, he goes to tend to the wounds of others hurt in the attack.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:30, Sun 28 Feb 2016.

Shardrena
 player, 66 posts
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 02:34
The Caravan
The current target of her fury threw down his weapon. But a deep, primal part of Shardrena didn't want to accept it. It took a lot of effort to calm the towering inferno of her blinding rage. That primal part told her the orc's fear was Good. But her more rational mind was horrified at how much she'd scared the orc. And how reckless she had become. She was still scowling as Shardrena stalked back towards the others. By the abyss, not again, she thought in distaste.

Why did this keep happening to her? She didn't know, not really. In fact she didn't fully remember why her morningstar was now dripping blood. Everything was fogged by a red haze.

"Is everyone okay?"
Johan von Scharnhorst
 player, 31 posts
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 02:42
The Caravan
"I intend to discover the origin of this raiding party," Johan tells Xaz and Targg. "But I do not speak the tongue. You can help by simply making small talk at first, to see what he lets slip. Give him food and drink if he is hungry or thirsty. Make him feel at ease." Johan expects this to take some time.

As Erinas approached, Johan smiled. "Your assistance is most appreciated, especially by those you've healed. After you see to the others, I would like to hear anything that you know of orcs in this region."
Ardul'ssysn Sethomiir
 player, 26 posts
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 03:02
The Caravan
She watched at the little goblin goes running around from body to body collecting items then coming over to where she was and placing them all in a pile.  Seeing him cast a spell to determine if any had magical properties.  Then go rush off again to tie up the orcs.

22:02, Today: Ardul'ssysn Sethomiir rolled 18 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 10.  Spellcraft.
Daelin Swiftbow
 player, 20 posts
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 08:49
The Caravan
Daelin, after recovering as many arrows as he could salvage, walked back to the group just a few steps behind Shardrena. Her outbursts were unusual for a half elf and unheard of for an elf. The woman, the only kin for leagues, had a dark side. Quickly loping up to her, he placed his hand on her shoulder. He speaks in the musical language.  [Language unknown:  "The hatad at ticineany?"]

He then looks at the others and nods at each. The emerging of the elvish bard was a suprise, as was the goblin spell caster and half Orc. Looking at the newcomers, he smiles warmly. Welcome Erinas and Targg, i am Daelin."  And he looked at the goblin "...and you, my sneaky goblin friend i have caught a glimpse of, but you are full of suprises. well met my friend."

He looks at Ardul'ssysn with a serious look but a half smile.  He knew that elves were good at hiding emotions, and the two of elvish blood he knew, one showed an open rage, and the other open confusion and concern. He walked up and whispered in a low tone in elvish. [Language unknown:  "Ilof staitheverat fiwa Latstrbutaveeau?"]
Shardrena
 player, 73 posts
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 09:07
The Caravan
[Language unknown:  "A, Rut ictin. N... U thuou hoaiie wileverea. Ac eltiel meiendmo. Uscon atilatthe manallder ca t alla e. Avenceredshe unsais, mi O entha om. Ngck ith in a witresratwer eswe in O for ta estencyin to sominetic thewherat ri usman ma hataretio. Trme weos areeentic Sa man wer thnesiut son art."] Shardrena said.

She still sounded angry. And her efforts to calm down were quite visible. [Language unknown:  "Ineoveenc anetdi daythoeen p ss yin. La ntmaai Intallntitickor siect enson. Tasang teica are maac evno etes."]
Daelin Swiftbow
 player, 21 posts
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 09:23
The Caravan
Daelin looks at his cousin with what was a serious look....one Daelin doesn't often have out of battle. For him to go from having little connection to having a strong bond. Knowing the two shared family, he felt protective of her...and now hearing and seeing first hand her torment, he vowed to himself to help her.

Smiling softly, he speaks in the common togune. "We will talk later in private cousin....share tales of family and each other." Daelin was trying to change the subject, so as to get to the root of his families problem in a more private and leisurely area. In elvish, he speaks to her, the same warm smile. [Language unknown:  "N diei ati, weto ecriti ntac tedstatha ndnd Iouwhiwheateone ck tioloshe. wa asiciv stwi is virconandtic...m onsyinnot.]
Warlan Dartalon
 player, 27 posts
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 13:13
The Caravan
After getting himself up and back in order, he summons the remainder of his divine favors on the group then himself.

"Well looks like you all have this situation under control. Hope to see you in our new establishment. If you all need any help, don't hesitate to contact me."

Warlan returns to the caravan and checks the migrants over. He becomes a vital part of the community.


OOC:
EXIT Warlan, Since this is an elven speaking group and that seams to be the way its going. I'll rework Warlan into a elven friendly Cleric for the group. I don't want to be on the outside looking in and excluded from conversations. It's not a problem at all.

Ardul'ssysn Sethomiir
 player, 28 posts
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 16:19
The Caravan
When Daelin comes to speak to her she can only look down at the male Drow when she speaks. [Language unknown:  "El i traainich ca ch Oulvorent neet ive io nongni whiectund o ons he aneau ore io ardti.  Sti on ncenmi evencebut i outillnde sath Wasewi ardartall st ad Oulverard wilichcon ut wilpe bleanysta. Lo eauerawheout nc Sheineate.]

When Shardrena speaks of her rage she can only reassure her that it is a blessing. "[Language unknown:  One asliun il ardtictra.]
Johan von Scharnhorst
 player, 33 posts
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 16:53
The Caravan
Lot's of IC things to do that is easier to describe OOC. Roughly in this order.

  1. Walk off the shakes while cleaning his blade.
  2. Keep those who are not Xaz and Targg away from the prisoner, especially Shardrena. ;)
  3. Gather information about orcs (especially local orcs). 10:49, Today: Johan von Scharnhorst rolled 3 using 1d20+2 ((1)). Though not well. Wasted the good roll saving Warlan. ;)
  4. Give the prisoner time to lower his guard slightly.
  5. Locate some alcohol within the caravan.
  6. Pray.
  7. Eventually check out the magic great sword and MW falchion (IC below).
  8. Interrogate the prisoner via an interpreter using FBI style techniques - i.e. let him think that I already know what I need to know. 10:50, Today: Johan von Scharnhorst rolled 12 using 1d20+8 ((4)). Sigh.



Johan frowns at the falchion, it always struck him as a butcher's knife and not a "proper" knight's weapon. Although it does demonstrate a remarkable balance, better than that of his own sword. Likewise the great sword. In training, that type of weapon felt clumsy and slow. But this one felt more like his sword, but smoother, quicker somehow. He checks it over to see if its creator imbued it with a name. This felt like a sword that needed one.
Targg
 player, 29 posts
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 16:59
The Caravan
"Typical Orcs really, raiding and such but they have a sort of working relationship with some local Drow. But I guess so do you."

Targg stroked his goatee as he did the translating for Johan and updated him with the info he had handy.
Meekina D'Lork
 player, 62 posts
 She who is unlike
 is gift of Gods requited
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 17:54
The Caravan
Meekina frowned to herself looking around at the wreckage. For some it seemed too much, they wandered off in dazes and to others it was simply part of another day. For Meekina, she had never really seen anything like it. Of course she'd heard her share of stories, but never in her life had she seen such fierce folk come at her like that. Her heart still pounded at the thought. Gathering her now dirty skirt edges, she loosely shook them before moving to find S'Faer. The friendly pup had wandered off with someone and had not returned. Typical.

"S'Faer! You come here now, I saw that muzzle of yours you traitorous dog!" She calls affectionately, despite the words. Her voice, much like the owner is angelic. Smooth tones that depict a sense of innocence. An innocence that has since become thoroughly disturbed. In the fair distance she hears people speaking, as to what they say she can't guess as they are too far but she gets a word here or there.

It does not raise the spirits.

As she nears to where S'Faer is, she spots three figures. The first she recognizes as S'Faers new best friend. She sighs and shakes her head. It had to be a tall person. She'd always suspected...

The next is one closer to her height, but certainly not something or someone she has seen before. His race reminds her something from another story she had heard long ago, but it is not quite ringing a bell. He's an interesting sort. Something about him reminds her of another she'd met, well, what seems like ages ago. Lost in the thought, she fails to recognize the third until she's closer and when she does she lets out a yelp, seeing he's much like the one that attacked her.

Instantly, she recognizes he's also not attacking or threatening and a fierce blush fills her cheeks. Oh blash and dather it all, what a ninny!

" I'm sorry, I-- My dog? " she stammers, looking for S'Faer.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:11, Sun 28 Feb 2016.

Ardul'ssysn Sethomiir
 player, 31 posts
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 18:12
The Caravan
She didn't understand what the Orc was saying but when Targg spoke of its words she wondered what other Drow
Dungeon Master
 GM, 79 posts
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 19:06
The Caravan
Anyone who can cast Read Magic can identify those 4 scrolls and the spells written in the spellbook.

The two potions are labeled in Undercommon as healing potions (Potions of Cure Light Wounds).

You need an Identify spell to identify the headband, gauntlets, ring and the greatsword, unless I am missing something.


Johan inspects the greatsword, finding it inscribed with some elvish runes. Anyone who knows elven can translate it as "Dawnstriker".

Afterwards, he goes to interrogate the two orcs with the help of Xaz and Targg, but whether it's due to the need for translation, poorly chosen words or just plain bad luck the orcs aren't really in the mood to answer any questions and stay stubbornly silent at this time.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:07, Sun 28 Feb 2016.

Shardrena
 player, 75 posts
Sun 28 Feb 2016
at 19:10
The Caravan
The kind words from Daelin and surprisingly enough Ardul'ssysn did little to sooth the troubled heart of Shardrena. There were times she doubted she was a good person, let alone one with a noble heart. She'd just found that there was more family, adopted mayhap but still family. Yet already Shardrena worried that her volatile temper would chase him off.

"That's kind of you to say, but I'm not sure if it's true."

Identify gives a large bonus to Spellcraft to aid you in identifying items. Otherwise you should just need Detect Magic and the Spellcraft skill As well as a good roll.