The Caravan.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Daelin Swiftbow
 player, 37 posts
Fri 4 Mar 2016
at 03:11
The Caravan
Daelin simply nods at the words. He knew the trail and could find the place again if needed. There was more to this than the magic user and orcs, he knew, and though his curiosity burnt to find out now, he knew that it would be safer with others.

"If we move swiftly we can catch the caravan without issues." He whispered to Johan. He opted to walk on foot until clearing the trees, then jumps on the horse
Dungeon Master
 GM, 115 posts
Sat 5 Mar 2016
at 14:27
The Caravan
Johan, Erinas and Daelin returned to the caravan with their findings. The caravan master decides to stop here for the night, as many are still injured from the attack and many can't go much further right now. Thus guards are posted and camp is made.

Warlan finds Johan and tends to his wounds, before he bids you all farewell and goes to help the refugees.

Warlan uses his remaining Cure Light Wounds spells on Johan and heals him to full.

Your two orc prisoners have been locked for the night in your wagon. Thus, you sleep for the night, while the caravan guards keep watch. You can see Selenrad in the distance, a reminder that your long journey should be at an end soon.

You can get your 8 hours of sleep and thus regain your spells, can prepare new ones and also regain 2 HP (equal to your character level).

As the sun rises, the caravan master comes to Johan. Sir Scharnhorst, we can bring those two orc raiders to the local authorities for you if you are still planning on finding their camp. By Pelor, should anyone put a stop to their attacks it would make these roads much safer!

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:27, Sat 05 Mar 2016.

Johan von Scharnhorst
 player, 48 posts
Sat 5 Mar 2016
at 16:09
The Caravan
"You have my thanks for this and for the use of your horses. Please see to it that the orcs, malicious as they may be, are not abused. Advise the city guard that they are prisoners of the Temple Militant, and we expect them to be treated fairly until we can collect them."

Johan breaks his fast with the others, encouraging Daelin to relate what was seen on the scouting mission. "Domnall, can you speak the orc-language?" he asks after the tale is told. "You have a way with words, and I would know from our prisoners if this redoubt was their base."
Meekina D'Lork
 player, 97 posts
 She who is unlike
 is gift of Gods requited
Sat 5 Mar 2016
at 23:25
The Caravan
Meekina has spent much of the night resting, or at least trying to. However; it has been difficult to sleep granted what has happened and wonders still at what lies ahead. Things will certainly change, of that she has no doubts, but she finds herself apprehensive to what lay in wait. The world is much larger than she ever dared dreams and stories have been found to be living nightmares. Not for the first time does she long for a home she can never return to. Eventually, she finds a chance to meditate and calms herself beside S'Faer.
Daelin Swiftbow
 player, 42 posts
Sun 6 Mar 2016
at 08:13
The Caravan
Daelin, after the scouting, rested for a while and opted to take watch at the end of the night and early morning. In the light of the predawn, Daelin used his time to polish his bow, make sure the string is free of burs and imperfections, and has a full compliment of arrows, including a few of his special arrows. Laying each out in a straight line, he inspects each and places it in the quiver. He then drew his longsword, clearly elvish make by the thinness of the blade but equally as effective as any normal sword. At his hip, his trusty dagger, clearly ill suited for throwing, but more a hunting knife.

He then set about having a hearty meal, he knew when either on the hunt or in battle, food could sometimes be missed.
Johan von Scharnhorst
 player, 51 posts
Sun 6 Mar 2016
at 15:45
The Caravan
It's a shame that Domnall also does not know orcish. Interrogation would have been easier without an interpreter. Johan approaches Targg. "I need you to interpret for me, if you will," he tells the half orc, and leads him to the prisoners. "Say this, you're leader is bold to set a camp so close to Selenrad, and with a outpost for perhaps a hundred warriors. Surely this leader's name must be frightening."

OOC: for next stage of questioning, I'll want to know who rules Selenrad. Knowledge Nobility: 09:42, Today: Johan von Scharnhorst rolled 2 using 1d20+1 ((1)). ...sigh... So I have false, old, or no information. I might be able to make this work...

EDIT: My Diplomacy roll: 09:46, Today: Johan von Scharnhorst rolled 17 using 1d20+8 ((9)).

This message was last edited by the player at 15:47, Sun 06 Mar 2016.

Erinas
 player, 6 posts
Sun 6 Mar 2016
at 16:53
The Caravan
Erinas has been eerily quiet as he has listened to the events that have passed since Warlan brought up how exclusionary everyone was being.
Taking in the information and clues he has heard. Erinas tries to recall any relevant info on the subject.

OOC:
Erinas rolled 18 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 13,  Geography.
Erinas rolled 24 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 19,  Nobility.
Erinas rolled 21 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 16,  History.

Targg
 player, 74 posts
Sun 6 Mar 2016
at 17:59
The Caravan
Targg translates verbatim or as close as he can as some words may not exist from one language to the next but he wont add lib since he has no gift for chatting.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 121 posts
Sun 6 Mar 2016
at 21:11
The Caravan
While the Orc Warrior seemed unmoved by Johan's demeanor, the Orc Archer was another story."[Language unknown:  Etssmi Enpond illwhivir din somnteenc he. Ast asla ngeen astverera ceom.]"

"[Language unknown:  St nc, vercomone!]" The warrior growls at him.

"[Language unknown:  Ieati peiou n ri ol e thati prpeom dies whidinive, Bleainble Ngint. Ckto k hatraters, blestiart ersof resessher on. San ma paill ardomeugh toek isev tathu issa. O ac peicom aiofwa, ticlessetrat wafiel Iv lario eau. N ckomus moame loolatsi p ven te ate enclattheich iswh.]"

"[Language unknown:  INEICHINT!!! It ATE CONTE ARD OUTIN NA AIOU OERILLORT!!!]" the Orc Warrior roars at the Orc Archer and shakes violently, straining the ropes to their absolute maximum.

"[Language unknown:  Rearedtho wi derioutio ch he on. Oulsonfor liis moca of hoil fimewi e th om. Enreie, A ncilas ndect entmanartour unis!]" the orc archer growled.

Johan: You really have no idea about Selenrad's ruler or anything like that. You vaguely remember hearing the ruler's name at one point, but you seem to have forgotten even that much.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:54, Sun 06 Mar 2016.

Johan von Scharnhorst
 player, 52 posts
Sun 6 Mar 2016
at 22:45
The Caravan
Johan produces the greatsword taken from the orc barbarian warrior, and drives the point into the floor between the two orcs. He looks at the angry orc, holding his own face expressionless. "You know this sword," he says calmly to the angry orc. "Your champion lost it to me." He stares at the orc warrior to drive home just who was in charge here. He does not take his eyes from the angry orc even when Targg translates what was said.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 122 posts
Sun 6 Mar 2016
at 23:00
The Caravan
Translation of Orc Archer:

Chief Rogar allied with pointy ears. They call the shots now.

Our base is on top of the highest hill around, Boar's Tusk. It's a warcamp, pointy ear leads us. The one with white hair and dark skin. He is really strong, strongest warrior I ever seen. He killed six warriors at once when they disobeyed him.

There were about 40 of us. Pointy ears are in the caves in the hill. Please, I don't know anything else!

As Targg translates Orc Archer's testimony, Johan presents the sword to Orc Warrior, whose eyes widen in shock. [Language unknown:  Ekll ceponc utilwh a ecpo onalon is Sonshepre! M erro n hericapro lefoie, hastha'andint ore rom manthuast plilst p!] He then roars and shouts a variety of orcish curses at Johan.

From what Targg translated of his speech, the one who had that sword was the chief's son.
Domnall
 player, 19 posts
Sun 6 Mar 2016
at 23:15
The Caravan
Once he drank his fill of wine and the caravan guards had proven themselves lackwits as well as bully he resigned himself that the sharing of his wine had been a poor choice. Waste was no sin, so his attitude was complacent as he drunkenly slept off any lingering worries.

In the morning he washed himself and decided to wear a yellow cap and blue trousers. At Johan's request he shook his head "never had a orc stop and talk to me without waving a big spear about at the same time" the little dwarf used a stubby finger to pick at an earhole as he spoke. The dwarf had earlier admired the curved swords that had been looted from the orcs. Domnall had swiped the best swords clean and tested their blades "they do seem well supplied. Finding their camp could be profitable" he agreed slyly, so although he couldn't help Johan much he followed the big warrior to watch the interrogation.

"Pointy ears can be tricksy" he warned Johan when Targg translated.
Targg
 player, 77 posts
Mon 7 Mar 2016
at 03:29
The Caravan
"Very true, very true Domnell, but I should also point out that the warrior will liekly kill the archer if they are alone together just to be clear."
Meekina D'Lork
 player, 102 posts
 She who is unlike
 is gift of Gods requited
Mon 7 Mar 2016
at 05:15
The Caravan
Meekina watched the interrogation from a distance, having been working on tucking her hair back into it's delicate wrap without completely unwinding it. Her eyes watched with interest, but with some disdain. In the morning light that appeared even more menacing, even locked up as they were. Once complete, she shook loose her skirt and wandered over. If anything, she had a healthy curiosity, and made it close enough in time to hear Domnall's comment about pointy ear folk.

" Are you really thinking of heading to the camp " she asked lightly, tucking a single, escaped curl behind her ear. S'Faer is off in the woods doing his own thing.
Shardrena
 player, 105 posts
Mon 7 Mar 2016
at 11:21
The Caravan
Why are we wasting our time? Shardrena thought crossly after the others rejoined the caravan. If they found where the raiders had come from, then all that mattered was getting the innocents safely to town then taking out the rest of the raiders. Once that was done, her own quest for vengeance could resume. It all seemed so simple to the elven woman.

"Of course, such filth needs to be removed. Or other caravans will be targeted."
Targg
 player, 79 posts
Mon 7 Mar 2016
at 16:05
The Caravan
In reply to Meekina D'Lork (msg # 180):

"Why wouldn't we? If you get a rock stuck in your boot do you take it out? of course! because if not it will continue to hurt you."

thinks a moment then adds
"Also we have killed the chieftan's son he deserves a chance at revenge. and if the orcs are aligned with drow....I would know more of it personally"

This message was last edited by the player at 16:06, Mon 07 Mar 2016.

Johan von Scharnhorst
 player, 53 posts
Tue 8 Mar 2016
at 00:04
The Caravan
Johan tries to keep a straight face in his stare down with the angry orc. He is trying to decide if the half-orc's comment was a barb intended to get under his skin, or an honest statement. And also trying to ignore it to concentrate on the questioning. It really wasn't in his plans to give the orc chief a shot at revenge, but he had to swallow his sarcastic 'thanks' to Targg for now. "Targg, ask if the pointy ears are working with anyone in Selenrad."
Dungeon Master
 GM, 131 posts
Tue 8 Mar 2016
at 00:15
The Caravan
[Language unknown:  Iope isfoer o ecvir tothut anil. Comtr itri pe ngiltaaihi. Eau whni titer oultiotic, wh resiv nd hisvorouswas el ticvorountio. Sa pomo ntany notsetwerartugh, hou ame ad it!]

Know nothing of the pointy ears. They keep to themselves. They give out orders, any who have questions are punished. I told you everything, now let me go!
Johan von Scharnhorst
 player, 54 posts
Tue 8 Mar 2016
at 01:07
The Caravan
"We cannot let you go," Johan says to the orc archer. "You are a brigand and guilty of attacking a merchant caravan unprovoked. I will ask for leniency on your behalf for the information that you have given. Perhaps a few years of indentured servitude will teach you the value of an honest day's labor. As for your companion, I cannot say what his sentence will be. But ever since the wars, those in power have tended to the harsher punishments. I pray only that he not suffer over long."

Satisfied that he has gotten as much information as he could, Johan takes his leave. "Let's give the archer the use of his feet so he need not share the wagon with the other. A rope of 3' or so to join the ankles should be sufficient so he can walk but not run. Then we can follow Shardrena's plan and see them all to the city before we go to the orc camp."
Meekina D'Lork
 player, 105 posts
 She who is unlike
 is gift of Gods requited
Tue 8 Mar 2016
at 04:20
The Caravan
Meekina opens her mouth to comment, but nothing comes out. She promptly shuts it and narrows her eyes and ponders. This was certainly not what she had expected when she set out to town, but then-- nothing had been as she had planned it. Wisely, she said nothing, so lost in her own thoughts she failed to even note S'Faer's presence by her side.
Daelin Swiftbow
 player, 43 posts
Tue 8 Mar 2016
at 08:08
The Caravan
Daelin looked on at Johan while he leaned on his bow. Even with his elvin training he found it hard to keep his comments to himself. Johan was a lawful man and believed that other men will be as lenient as he was, but he suspected the Orc archer will see a harsh outcome.

He held his togune and looked at his cousin. Even though he had known her for weeks, and had known her as family for days, he knew the elf was more hot blooded than most elves, especially for one who follows the arcane arts. He knew her a short time, but felt protective of her. Despite her temper, her comments for us to get moving was something he shared.

"Never thought i'd agree with one of orc blood, but i do...and my cousin is right. We need to act swiftly.  Do you not think that the party will be missed already? They will either send out another party, larger than the last, or fortify....possibly both. We need to act swiftly and soon."

He picked up his bow and placed it on his shoulder. "Let the caravan owner deal with the prisoners...he is honerable and do the rught thing. we need to route out this evil before more people are hurt."
Shardrena
 player, 111 posts
Tue 8 Mar 2016
at 08:46
The Caravan
"Then it's settled. We set forth to end this plague? The sooner this is dealt with, the sooner we can get back to more important things." Left unsaid was what those more important things actually were. "I hold no pity for those who would harm an innocent."
Targg
 player, 84 posts
Tue 8 Mar 2016
at 17:57
The Caravan
"Live a century or die the next instant, all things are as they are and remain so."
Domnall
 player, 22 posts
Tue 8 Mar 2016
at 21:59
The Caravan
Rather cowardly Domnall kept his distance from the orc prisoners but his huge ears flapped at the talk from the big folk. Their tongues wagged and plans were set. Domnall grinned and licked his lips. The weapons he had seen so far on the orcs had been well made and Domnall was sure if he got his sticky hands on more he make some pennies if not more. A little walking, a lot of gold, he mused "then let us away" the small dwarf prompted them with waves of his hands.
Johan von Scharnhorst
 player, 55 posts
Tue 8 Mar 2016
at 23:54
The Caravan
Johan nods at the plan, and goes to the caravan master. The young knight tells him what he learned from the orc, then tells him that he should ask the authorities for leniency for the informant. If possible, they should send word to the nearest temple of Rao and summon them to take charge of that prisoner. He gives the master 6 gold coins for his trouble.