The Warcamp.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Al'andra Dreazahn
 player, 98 posts
 Brilliantly choreographed
 Excellently executed
Sun 10 Apr 2016
at 18:23
Re: The Warcamp
Al'andra managed a hidden half-smile, but kept her laughter of Xaz' remark to herself. She knelt to the ground, a gloved hand reaching to sift through the enemies. "It seems that our enemies had either traitors in their midst or we were not their only foe. " she shook her head, rising and clapping the ash from her fingertips. "What could cause such terror in creatures who terrorize I wonder. " The last is said more to herself than the others.
Erinas
 NPC, 7 posts
Sun 10 Apr 2016
at 18:42
Re: The Warcamp
Neither of you manage to find anything else about this place. Daelin doesn't find any tracks around the camp, which is definitely suspicious. Were the camp attacked by an army there would no doubt be many tracks leading towards the camp. But somehow, there are none.

But you are soon interrupted when you notice an elven figure walking towards your group from the opposite side of the clearing, hand held aloft in greeting. Those of you who have travelled with the caravan recognize him as Erinas, the half-elven Bard who helped you against the orc attack. Al'andra can recognize him as the one who told her where Jade and her group went after the attack. "It seems that we meet again." says Erinas as soon as he gets near enough your group. "There are more of you and yet less of you at the same time. I recognize only few of the faces in your group." he frowns, but doesn't dwell on it. "I saw a great red dragon flying towards this hill last night. Such is rarely good news and so I have decided to see for myself what could draw it to this place. It seems that those orcs got in it's way."
Thort Stonering
 player, 35 posts
 AC18 HP 37
 Cur.HP 37
Sun 10 Apr 2016
at 21:34
Re: The Warcamp
Thort looks incredulous. "Orcs, drow, and now dragons? We're just missing mermaids and demons!" He looks around at the others with an expectant grin.
Domnall
 player, 59 posts
Sun 10 Apr 2016
at 22:41
Re: The Warcamp
Dressed in a purple cap and yellow pantaloons Domnall had not been over eager to visited the orcish camp but the thin dwarf had never been as rich in treasure as he was now. He saw the profit his fellow companions offered and skipped alongside the warriors and wizards, his spirits high that much more than silver could be gained. At the sight of the fire scorched camp he threw off his cap and kicked it across the ash strewn earth "fiddlesticks and flapdoodle" he cursed, then stooped to pick up his cap and dust the muck from it "what a waste" he lamented; the dwarf had examined the workmanship of the orc weapons and armour. He was sure he could have profited from looting and then selling it.

The elven bard distracted him for a moment. The crafty dwarf watched the skies and twisted a golden ring about his finger "surely the priestess of Heironeous would have us seek out and destroy this red dragon" he proposed valiantly, although his eyes gleamed only with the fervour as he coveted the dragon's hoard not the heroics of defeating the beast.
Daelin Swiftbow
 player, 101 posts
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 01:51
Re: The Warcamp
Daelin looked at the camp with a neutral look."Such destruction would warrant a attack from a dragon, and the fire and ash is ermines ant of a red." The human looked around perplexed, but managed a half smile for Erinas. He walked up to him and grasped his shoulder. "It is good to see you alive my friend. We have seen much hardship since parting ways." He looked over his shoulder at the group....old members and new. He looked at everyone. "There is no trail, so either they were all destroyed or..." He pointed at the cave entrance. "...they fled the dragon in there."

Daelin looked at the dwarf at the thought of hunting a dragon. He shook his head. "If I point the way my little friend, will you be the first to face the red?"
Roland Stormbringer
 player, 12 posts
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 19:28
Re: The Warcamp
Roland broke his silence after the hunter's reply to the dwarf's jest. "Heironeous would welcome your aid in the hunting of this dragon, but he would not approve of the wonton destruction your greed may bring as an unintended consequence. Evil attacking evil is an interesting scenario indeed. Might I ask for a moment or two to pray to Heironeous for any divine guidance for the aura's of evil?"

OOC: Detect evil for three rounds to identify the direction of the evil that has disappeared, if we have time for that.
Domnall
 player, 60 posts
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 20:22
Re: The Warcamp
Beset on two fronts by Daelin and Roland the small dwarf waved his hands in the air in submission. He shook his head, his ears flapping from side to side "you both make a fool of me" he squealed as he capered in his purple cap and yellow pantaloons.

"What threat to the gigantic beast could one as little as me be?" he replied as his agitation lessened "I am no great warrior or hero like yourselves" he buttered the pair up "the sight of such champions of the light would send a shiver through the scales of every evil dragons that lives" he encouraged them.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:15, Mon 11 Apr 2016.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 288 posts
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 20:36
Re: The Warcamp
Roland doesn't sense any obvious signs of evil around here. The dragon's fire burned everything to crisp and neither does any residual evil aura linger around this place.
Daelin Swiftbow
 player, 105 posts
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 23:26
Re: The Warcamp
Daelin laughed at the dwarves comments. "Now you jest. I'm no great hero...I'm just a humble  hunter. And what threat would a dwarf be to a dragon....hmmm, none, but maybe a good appetiser?" The ranger winks at the dwarf.
Gef'n
 player, 42 posts
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 23:37
Re: The Warcamp
I really don't think that the dragon could see Domnall. He is so thin. He could hide behind my staff if he needs to find total cover.

Gef'n smiles at his joke at Domnall's expense.
Daelin Swiftbow
 player, 107 posts
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 01:11
Re: The Warcamp
Daelin looked at the kobold in surprised and actually laughed out loud. "Perhaps your right priest....the dragon can use him as a toothpick!" He chuckled and slapped a friendly slap on the dwarfs shoulder.
Thort Stonering
 player, 36 posts
 AC18 HP 37
 Cur.HP 37
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 02:16
Re: The Warcamp
Thort looks at Domnall with new eyes. "You're a dwarf???" Surely Domnall's missing girth can be found on Thort's ample dwarven body. "Look, I don't think there's a dragon to be found. Orcs are likely to have done this to themselves. I'll gladly lead the way into the cave to face the cowardly orcs that ran away from a little fire." He walks toward the cave entrance.
Al'andra Dreazahn
 player, 105 posts
 Brilliantly choreographed
 Excellently executed
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 02:24
Re: The Warcamp
Al'andra smirked at the conversation, but did not join it. Instead, she moved towards the entrance of the cave. "They ran here in hopes of protection. I am sure we can assume that some must have survived. " she stopped, lifting a hand to protect her eyes as she looked towards the sky.

"Still, one has to wonder, why would a dragon come and target only this one location. Especially with a town so close. How is it possible no one caught sight or had any inclination?" she shakes her head, it is all very puzzling and in a manner she does not find suitable.
Adfydd
 player, 26 posts
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 03:18
Re: The Warcamp
In reply to Al'andra Dreazahn (msg # 152):

Adfydd moved to check and see if he could determine any more about what had happened than they were told or the others managed to find. The druid took several minutes searching, but if he found anything of interest he kept it to himself.


OOC: Yikes...glad those weren't attack rolls..
 22:12, Today: Adfydd rolled 7 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 1. survival-track.
22:11, Today: Adfydd rolled 9 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 3. spot.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:30, Tue 12 Apr 2016.

Erinas
 NPC, 8 posts
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 11:59
Re: The Warcamp
"I'm sure others might have noticed, but it seems this has all happened in the dead of night. Even I did only notice the dragon flying towards this hill and even then, I was not absolutely sure that was what I saw." Erinas explains. "Are you going to enter those tunnels? Or are you content with the knowledge that the raiders have been dealt with?" the bard looks towards the entrance, with a strange look in his eyes.
Thort Stonering
 player, 38 posts
 AC18 HP 37
 Cur.HP 37
Wed 13 Apr 2016
at 20:34
Re: The Warcamp
"Orcs and drow will hide deep," Thort says. "I'll go to insure they stay deep."
Estiri Kaelenn
 player, 38 posts
Wed 13 Apr 2016
at 21:11
Re: The Warcamp
Estiri watched the dwarf's sword politely and commented whenever appropriate. When they reached the camp she looked around at the destruction in quiet sadness. She slowly examined the scorch marks as the others debated what course of action to take.

17:00, Today: Estiri Kaelenn rolled 10 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 2.  Arcana Knowledge to identify any supernatural nature of the fire .


 She stood slowly and nodded to Thort when he suggested they go inside and take care of the drow.

 She held the edges of her cloak and spoke a soft word of magic. Her cloak began to radiate with a soft, magical light that illuminated the entrance to the cave. She looked back to their human companion

 " For those of us who do not do well in darkness  " she said with a wink to Daelin.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:12, Wed 13 Apr 2016.

Daelin Swiftbow
 player, 117 posts
Thu 14 Apr 2016
at 02:43
Re: The Warcamp
Daelin looked at the others with his new bow in hand. Surely if any survived they were in the cave, and drow and orcs were more at home in caves that out...the drow especially. His face mirrored his concern. "No doubt that if they fled inside they will be waiting...injured or not they will have the advantage." He looked at his bow, and knew in a tight tunnel, it might not be an advantage. He still had his longsword, but even the blade may be too long if the cave is small enough.

Daelin dropped his he'd and whispered to himself in elvish, then looked up.

"If we go in, we go in smart. Any who can use magic had best have light spells ready...though the sudden change will disorientated us, it will hurt them. If we reach an open cavern, my bow will be of use, but in tight spaces it won't do well. Keep close to each other, watch each other's backs and at the first sign of danger, tell others and either fall back or find a defensive place." The ranger wasn't used to stradgising for a big group..usually he was either alone or with one more. But his mother was an expert in tactics, and Daelin had learnt a few things from her.

He looked around. "No heroics. You find something, get light and tell others." He looked at Al'andra with a half hearted smile and spoke in elvish. [Language unknown:  "Witom ave useric artineoul trtica ro p ofna Io dayntiess ur il Un ekul...Son le set ngek."]

He sighed deeply.

"So....into the dark creepy cave with lots of things that can kill us then?"
Al'andra Dreazahn
 player, 120 posts
 Brilliantly choreographed
 Excellently executed
Thu 14 Apr 2016
at 03:14
Re: The Warcamp
Al'andra is lost in her thoughts. Her eyes have not left Erinas since he began talking. So intent is she, that she is faintly startled when Daelin speaks in her ear. She is quick to conceal it, turning her head sharply to the side and nodding slowly before turning back and narrowing her gaze.

There was something. Something in the way that Erinas spoke. Something of the look in his eyes that made her stop and consider more closely.

"You seem quite intent on the tunnels, friend. Do you know something that perhaps we do not? Want something perhaps?" Her face is hard to read, the flat line of her lips, the sharp gaze of her eyes. The emotionless gaze that could no doubt haunt even the most stone-like of men.

20:08, Today: Al'andra Dreazahn rolled 16 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 9.  Sense Motive.
Gef'n
 player, 43 posts
Thu 14 Apr 2016
at 12:39
Re: The Warcamp
Gef'n much like the drow was more comfortable in the dark, where his size and sight were to the greatest advantage.

If we are going to go in we should do so and give them no more time to prepare for our arrival.
Adfydd
 player, 31 posts
Thu 14 Apr 2016
at 19:50
Re: The Warcamp
In reply to Daelin Swiftbow (msg # 157):

Adfydd snickered at Daelin's comment, "I'd much prefer to stay above ground." he commented. "But if we're going in, I agree with Gef'n, let's not give them time to recover from being toasted by the dragon."
Thort Stonering
 player, 40 posts
 AC18 HP 37
 Cur.HP 37
Fri 15 Apr 2016
at 22:04
Re: The Warcamp
"Come on, Meri. Let's go say hi to the orcs." Thort walks to the cave entrance, pausing just inside to let his dark vision adjust (provided he isn't attacked first), then looks for defenses, obvious or hidden.

Search: 17:04, Today: Thort Stonering rolled 9 using 1d20-1 ((10)).
Dungeon Master
 GM, 300 posts
Sat 16 Apr 2016
at 03:31
Re: The Warcamp
Erinas looked at Al'andra with mild confusion. "I do not understand what is it that you think I'm hiding from you.
Al'andra Dreazahn
 player, 122 posts
 Brilliantly choreographed
 Excellently executed
Sat 16 Apr 2016
at 04:04
Re: The Warcamp
Al'andra narrowed her eyes and took a decisive step forward. "You lie.". She moves closer still, her eyes alight like fire. "You are hiding something and know more than you say. I suggest you tell it lest I lose my patience. I've been told I have something of a rather awful temper. " her voice sounds rough, as though she has to consciously hold herself back from saying or doing something ill advised.


20:53, Today: Al'andra Dreazahn rolled 25 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 19.  Intimidate

Dungeon Master
 GM, 301 posts
Sat 16 Apr 2016
at 04:09
Re: The Warcamp
As Al'andra stayed behind with Erinas, the rest of the group entered the tunnels. And when they do so, they find quite an impressive location. Statues of various drow are spread evenly on both sides of the tunnel and there's a path made out of pitch black tiles leading into the darkness.

The height of the tunnel has to be atleast 100 feet and it's about 70 feet wide. More then enough space for a large group to pass through. This seems more like an entrance to some long-forgotten palace then a secret orcish tunnel.

Those with Darkvision can see to the end of the tunnel. A great, majestic gate with the symbol of a spider is located there. It's closed, but that doesn't appear to be a problem. Namely because it's lower half appears to have been melted off by something really hot, allowing passage under it. There is a huge pile of charred corpses in the same location. Obviously, those who have escape from the dragon did not get very far.

    - GATE -
 ------***------
 xx----***----xx
 ------***------
 ------***------
 xx----***----xx
 ------***------
 ------***------
 xx----***----xx
 ------***------
 ------***------
 xx----***----xx
 ------***------
 ------***------
 xx----***----xx
 ------***------
 ------***------
 xx----***----xx
 ------***------
     -ENTRY-

Each symbol occupies a 5ft square

*: path
X: drow statues

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:11, Sat 16 Apr 2016.