Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip.   Posted by Henry LeMaistre.Group: 0
~Tobias Lodkova
 NPC e, 10 posts
 V&A Diplomat
Sun 4 Apr 2021
at 02:45
Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
As a show of success, Adoven had sent a troop of Light Foot along with the Trade envoy, to see to his safety. Tobias was in no way a fighter, dependent on others to do that. What he was was a savvy businessman, capable of learning and observing the interconnections of mercantile trade, and spotting what could be improved upon. He also carried a letter certifying that he was empowered to negotiate on V&A's behalf. As they travelled, Tobias practiced the accent as it changed from locality to locality. He knew that sounding like a native often made folks more accepting of proposals and negotiations.
Rana Nervetti
 player, 153 posts
 A long way from home...
 ...looking for something
Sun 4 Apr 2021
at 08:43
Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
Rana hadn't been certain what to expect from this diplomatic trip and, for most of it, she kept as low a profile as possible.  Although, in fairness, the fact that she rode a mule rather than a horse set her apart from the others.  She still felt more comfortable talking with the "common folk" rather than the "nobles" and was often seen speaking to the hostlers.  However, during much of the journey so far, Rana could be found in Marik's company.

At the stop on the outskirts of Restov, Rana made certain that her mule, Sunshine, was brushed and fed.  She wandered around the edge of the camp, staying out of the way as tents and pavilions were erected.  Her gaze strayed to the north and a wistful smile settled on her lips as she thought of home.  Shaking her head, she pushed those thoughts away as she reminded herself that she was starting anew in Midmarch.

Wandering through the camp, she overheard Sejana speaking with Domitius about a couple of the shops in Restov.  They sounded interesting places, so Rana waited out of sight of the two, then caught up with Sejana once she was on her own.

"Sejana, isn't it?" Rana stopped the other woman with a smile.  "I'm Rana.  I must apologise, but I overheard you talking with Lord Domitius about a couple of shops in Restov.  I have never been here before and had been thinking about seeing what was available in the city, but I also thought it would be nice to not do that on my own."  She smiled again at the other woman.  "May I accompany you on your outing?  Some female company would be nice for a change."

This message was last edited by the player at 09:31, Sun 04 Apr.

~Sejana Cortellos
 NPC e, 35 posts
 shopkeeper/aide
 Sisters of the Moon
Mon 5 Apr 2021
at 02:37
Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
She inclined her head in courtesy to the other, "Sejana it is.  A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Rana.  And certainly, I'd be glad of the company.   While some things are best done alone, this kind of activity isn't one of them.  We can leave whenever you are ready."   

(Once she is)

As the pair walked from the caravan's campsite, Sejana smiled at the lovely weather, then gestured in the direction of the notice board, bearing the park's name, and remarked "And so, here is the home of the local Scrymball team."   Her accent, her manner to some degree, marked her a foreigner. And she said with the curiosity of one "Ha! I don't even know what Scrymball is.  Do you?"
Rana Nervetti
 player, 154 posts
 A long way from home...
 ...looking for something
Mon 5 Apr 2021
at 08:02
Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
Rana glanced around the camp, then smiled almost conspiratorily at Sejana.  "I have nowhere particular that I need to be at the moment, so now seems like a perfect time to slip away."

As they walked away from the campsite, Rana glanced back once, then turned her attention to the sign that Sejana indicated, a small frown briefly creasing her brown.  "I've never heard of scrymball.  Is it a southern thing, do you think?"
Marik Aeris
 Player, 410 posts
 Lord-Dominus
Mon 5 Apr 2021
at 19:30
Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
Marik had been in high spirits throughout the duration of the trip to this point. Most of his time had been spent talking to Rana and enjoying the countryside in the context of a diplomatic trip vice an expedition expecting trouble.

He'd brought along a small contingent of scouts from New Dawn commanded by his chancellor's husband, Gabriel. They served as advance scouts for the journey, ensuring there were no threats to the caravan, and sharing intelligence with Lord LeMaistre's cavalry as necessary. Darius was also present, managing Marik's small entourage, making sure his tents were properly setup, and spending his free time carousing among the rest of the 'common folk' along for the journey.
Domitius Aldori-Solanus
 player, 600 posts
 Half Elf Swordlord
 AC:21 HP:46
Thu 8 Apr 2021
at 12:42
Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
Domitius had gathered his party for the journey, his squire Barbatius, chaplain Thaddeus, scouts Tic Hucklebuckle and his cousins Balcor were all mounted.  He had also brought along four guardsmen, Orlfinn the Ulfen, Nargrym Silverhammer and the two former bandits Cade & Brock and a sutler Eireen Hucklebuckle who happened to be Balcor's sister.  He had welcomed Sejana to the group and made sure she had her own tent and offered her the use of a horse should she wish.

The group had joined the caravan at Ringbridge and slotted themselves in behind Lord Adoven's men in the caravan.  At night Domitius group had formed a semicircle of tents, three large and two smaller with a central fire tended by Balcor and his sister Eireen.  Each of the tents was dyed in yellow with a red trim on which had been painted yellow suns.  Domitius own tent also had a black griffon painted on the entrance flap.  On a long spear just outside his tent Domitius had his own banner flying.

The size of the group was easily a deterrent to all but the largest of bandit groups though Nomen raiders could prove a threat, still the likelihood even the wild centaurs would attack this group where slim.  Still Domitius insisted his own camp be run with military discipline.
Domitius Aldori-Solanus
 player, 601 posts
 Half Elf Swordlord
 AC:21 HP:46
Thu 8 Apr 2021
at 12:49
Re: Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
~Sejana Cortellos:
"Lord Domitius," she inclined her head to the newly ordained sword-lord, "I have finished the tasks you requested of me.   Is there anything else, for the moment, my lord?   If not, there is a pair of shops I hope to visit. One an arcane supplier your lady wife has asked me to survey - to see if we may learn anything useful from their approach to business. The other -- well, it is a lady's clothier I've heard so many, many good things about."   


Smiling Domitius nodded "My thanks Sejana, I will visiting a few people while we are here so go and enjoy yourself.  If you have any difficulties mention the Solanus name and that should assist, within most of the city.  Oh and if you see anything Alisa would like let me know and I will make arrangements."
DM
 GM, 4643 posts
Sat 10 Apr 2021
at 09:11
Re: Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
I will move us on early next week, so a last chance to get any shopping / posts etc in Restov.
DM
 GM, 4644 posts
Sat 10 Apr 2021
at 09:25
Re: Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
Bai checks her own small entourage.  A servant to carry the basket and a couple of the leMaistre house guards.  Not particularly impressive as an escort goes, but she has chosen not to be too ostentatious - just enough to make a point to those whom she passes.  It isn’t as if she really needs the protection, she and Valoria both know how to look after themselves, should the need arise - but sometimes it is better to discourage problems, rather than resolve them.

She stops off at the Lebeda-Ondari camp to collect the Lady Valoria, and a couple of guards wearing their house colours.  There will be no doubt that two noble ladies are going shopping, and that they should not be interrupted.

Snippets of conversation drift across to people who are close enough to hear …  I told Henry that I needed a new necklacethose gnomes make excellentperhaps pearls.  It soon becomes clear that they are heading for Inverhofenbik.

http://rp.baileymail.net/doku....:brevoy:restov:start
DM
 GM, 4648 posts
Tue 13 Apr 2021
at 19:51
Re: Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
Last chance for any purchases / visits to the City of Restov.
~Tobias Lodkova
 NPC e, 11 posts
 V&A Diplomat
Wed 14 Apr 2021
at 08:34
Re: Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
Tobias, wishing to impress, uses some of the funds provided by V&A to get an outfit suitable for speaking to a political leader.
Rana Nervetti
 player, 157 posts
 A long way from home...
 ...looking for something
Wed 14 Apr 2021
at 22:16
Re: Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
Once back at the camp, they stopped first at Sejana’s tent.  Rana smiled at the other woman, ”I’ll see you later, Sejana.  Thank you for an enjoyable day out.”

With Poppy and Jimmy following her, Rana led them across the camp to a tent where Marik was sitting outside.  She smiled impishly at him as the youngsters became apparent, laden with packages.  ”I don’t really like shopping, but I did find a few bargains and Poppy was able to point me in the direction of a nice bakery.  I’ve picked up a few fresh things which I thought would be nice for a change.”  She held up the basket which was piled with the baked goods.  Rana smiled at Poppy and James then pulled the tent’s door to one side.  ” Thank you both for your help today.
You can set the packages down to the side there,”
she said as she gestured to a clear space to the right of the doorway. ”Next time I come to Restov, I’ll look for the two of you.  Your assistance today has been invaluable.  Be safe on your walk home. ”

This message was last edited by the player at 22:20, Wed 14 Apr.

~Sejana Cortellos
 NPC e, 36 posts
 shopkeeper/aide
 Sisters of the Moon
Thu 15 Apr 2021
at 22:52
Re: Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
Sejana had enjoyed a fine outing in the company of Rana, Polly, and Jimmy, and returned with several parcels to show for it: one for herself, others for Sisters and her employer.   She spent the remainder of the afternoon resting a bit from the extensive walking. Under the children's guidance, she'd learned something of the area, and looked forward to visiting again.

Come early evening, she emerged from her own tent, out into the semicircle that Lord Domitius' tents collectively formed. Near where the fire was being diligently tended by the Huckbuckle siblings.  Its flames mirroring the yellow and red hues of the canopies, and their stately sun symbols.

Sejana politely cleared her throat.  "Good evening, all; I hope you are well, and enjoying your time in Restov as much as I am.  Before we left, the lady Alisa Medvyed-Solanus requested a certain service of me, at such time as it might be reasonably appropriate. Or at least, not horribly interuptive, I hope!  This is an homage to a Swordlord - an homage to all Swordlords - including the one whose Griffin banner we are retained under. And of whom the lady Alisa is rather fond." She smiled.

"This is the Song of the Sword Baron."  With no more ado, Sejana drew a breath, began to sing:

"In the beginning was just one sword
To contest against the bandit horde
A duel consequential
Victory monumental
Alas, it was lost
Bested baron paid the cost
And then disappeared
In shame and in fear
Or so it was said
All hope seeming dead

Yet hope and its hero were not gone
A wise man knows to win practice long
Came returned a changed man
Who took another stand
Against the despot
He agiley fought
Blades flashing in dance
Freedom’s second chance
Such skill, twas no trick
And victory came quick

Sing a song for the Swordlord
Sing a song for First
Sing aloud for Aldori
In his art we’re versed
Sing a song for all our Swords
Sing a song for steel
Sing aloud for all our Lords
Never shall we kneel..."

Marik Aeris
 Player, 412 posts
 Lord-Dominus
Fri 16 Apr 2021
at 02:15
Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
Rana Nervetti:
With Poppy and Jimmy following her, Rana led them across the camp to a tent where Marik was sitting outside.  She smiled impishly at him as the youngsters became apparent, laden with packages.  "I don't really like shopping, but I did find a few bargains and Poppy was able to point me in the direction of a nice bakery.  I've picked up a few fresh things which I thought would be nice for a change."  She held up the basket which was piled with the baked goods.  Rana smiled at Poppy and James then pulled the tent's door to one side.  " Thank you both for your help today.
You can set the packages down to the side there,"
she said as she gestured to a clear space to the right of the doorway. "Next time I come to Restov, I'll look for the two of you.  Your assistance today has been invaluable.  Be safe on your walk home."


Marik looked up from his chair with a big smirk on his face, "Yes, I can clearly see how much you must have just detested your time shopping today." He stood up and leaned in to kiss her gently on the cheek, "But I commend you on your acquisition of baked goods," he said as he reached into the presented basket and pulled a piece of fresh, and still warm, bread from the top. "Anything else exciting in there," he said as he turned his head to indicate the packages now sitting inside their tent.
Rana Nervetti
 player, 158 posts
 A long way from home...
 ...looking for something
Fri 16 Apr 2021
at 05:28
Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
Rana scowled as Marik helped himself to a piece of the 'tear and share' bread in the basket, but then just shook her head at him.

"That was to go with dinner.  Just stay away from the tarts in there until after our meal tonight." She warned with a sigh as she rolled her eyes before broadly describing her other purchases.  "No, nothing exciting in those.  A couple of serviceable shirts for travelling and a new reversible cloak, along with some candles and scented soap.  Nothing for you, I'm afraid, besides the breads and tarts."

She slipped into the travel chair he'd just vacated with a grin.  "It was interesting to see some of Restov, although there were a bit too many people for my liking."
Marik Aeris
 Player, 413 posts
 Lord-Dominus
Fri 16 Apr 2021
at 15:30
Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
"Ah," Marik grunted with his mouth full of bread at Rana's scolding.  After swallowing what was in his mouth, he smirked, "Ooh, there's tarts in there too? Perhaps I should try one, just to be sure they're good?"

"Well, I know how much you hate shopping, so I'm glad you finally found someone you enjoy shopping with," he said with a wink. "And yeah, Restov is quite large, and can be quite overwhelming if you're not used to that many people."
Rana Nervetti
 player, 159 posts
 A long way from home...
 ...looking for something
Fri 16 Apr 2021
at 16:54
Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
Rana gave Marik a very stern look as he made to get a tart.  "If you have one now, you don't get one after dinner.  They're meant to be shared." She said sternly, but smiled indulgently at him.

"I like shopping with you, as well," Rana clarified as she reached out and squeezed his hand, "but it was nice to have some female company for a change."
DM
 GM, 4658 posts
Sun 18 Apr 2021
at 16:27
Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
OOC:  It is taking me longer to get my head around Sirian / East Rostland than I thought it would.  I am working the people you will meet, so  my post here will be delayed for a bit.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:53, Mon 19 Apr.

DM
 GM, 4659 posts
Tue 20 Apr 2021
at 10:08
Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
The meeting had been planned, of course.  Probably some weeks in advance. Henry had sent messengers ahead from Restov, and there had been regular relays back and forth  The moment of arrival was known well in advance.

The slow ride across the Rostland plains had been eventful. The land was flat, and naturally covered in wild grasses, and you passed a number of villages and hamlets  where the cultivated land was almost all grains of one type or another.  Wheat, Barley, Oats, even a few fields of Maize – grasses and cereals flourish.  There were other crops, of course, the ubiquitous root vegetables, peas, beans as well as a few cows and sheep grazing wild.  Farming country of the highest quality.

As Sirian comes into view, it is smaller than you might have expected, and queries directed at the teamsters will find that it is very newly developed.  Jamandi had claimed in the chaos just after the disappearance, but for years it remained as a small way-station on the  Restov-Brundeston road.  It was barely a village worth the name, just a few small holdings and a small farm - but it has grown in the last year or so, and now it is a small town, with a couple of large farms.

Henry stops the great caravan about half a mile from the town, and issues and instruction to build camp, then still in his riding clothes he starts to walk towards the small town, followed only by one of his personal guard.  “Coming?” He asks.

As he approaches the town, Countess Jamandi walks out to greet him, a small entourage behind her.  Henry and Bai bow slightly, before Jamandi comes forward and symbolically hugs them both.  “Greetings Henry, Bai.  It is good to see you again.”

The pleasantries are short, before Henry introduces you.  “Lord Cyrus of Ringbridge and Lady Valoria, Lord Marik of New Dawn, Sir Domitius Aldori-Solanus as well as Rana, Sejana and Tobias.  Rana is one of our newest recruits to the Midmarch Chapter, while Tobias is an employee of V&A, our largest shipping company and Sejana  is with Sisters of the Moon magical supplies."

Jamandi responds in kind introducing Swordlord Rudolfus Aldori-Blain as her Chancellor, Laird Ilyushin Saltikov as her Senior Councillor and Sir Ferdinand Ledkno, Commander of the Eastern Chapter as her marshal.  Behind them are Alex Ledkno, Sir Ferdinand’s daughter and Jamandi’s son Dragan.

Calling a servant forwards with the gift case and presents it to Jamandi, who removes the belt and passes the box back to her son.

As she inspects the craftsmanship, Henry speaks.  “If I might demonstrate ….  The belt is similar to the one I wear.”  Pulling back his coat he reaches for his belt, flicks his wrist, and he is suddenly holding a short sword.  There is a sudden intake of breath from those behind Jamandi, but the Countess holds her hand up to stay any action, as Henry flicks the sword again, and lets it revert to its normal belt form.  “Flick is as you think of the blade you want.” Henry passing the operating instructions on quietly.  In the next few moments  Jamandi goes through a duelling sword, a long sword and a halberd, before finally allowing the blade to return to belt form.  Grinning she buckles the belt around her waist, and it fits perfectly.  “An excellent gift, Lord Henry.  I shall treasure it, along with our friendship for many a long year."

"As you can see,”
She waves a hand towards the other side of the town where a huge marquee is being erected,  “My people are preparing for a banquet now.  I would be delighted to entertain you and your colleagues to dinner this evening.”

"Thank you, my Lady, we will be delighted to attend, but I believe Sir Domitius would like a word …”

Jamandi turns, “Swordlord  Domitius Aldori-Solanus, I am pleased to make your acquaintance.  As a principal of the Aldori School in Restov, I have seen reports your progress.  The first Swordlord in either Tusk or Midmarch, I understand ...”

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:49, Tue 20 Apr.

Domitius Aldori-Solanus
 player, 604 posts
 Half Elf Swordlord
 AC:21 HP:46
Wed 21 Apr 2021
at 12:31
Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
"Lady Jamandi, the honour is all mine. Dom said bowing I am indeed the first to earn the title of Swordlord within Lord Henry's lands and I hope not the last. There are some very fine swordsmen within Midmarch and Tusk to test myself against even if they are not Aldori.  Lord Cyrus is one such worthy opponent, however discussions of sordsmanship are not why I asked Lord Henry to speak on my behalf.  I have myself a gift from myself and my beloved wife."  With that he waves at Barbatius and his other followers.

They bring forth two wooden crates and quickly open them and pull out two marble statues about six feet tall and stand them up facing each other, the first a male he is dressed in the style of an Aldori with an Aldori duelling sword held in the guard position, the other a female Aldori her own sword held as if to strike.  It is obvious that both of the statues are of masterwork quality, closer inspection reveals the male bears a distinct resemblance to Domitius and the Solanus suns are carved into the stone breastplate.  The female figure has small moon designs into her breast plate and those of the party from Midmarch would recognise Dom's wife Alisa as the inspiration.

"These my lady were crafted by Stonesinger Bungrima Silverhammer as a gift from House Aldori-Slanus-Medvyed and Clan Silverhammer. We would be honoured if you could find a use for them."
Rana Nervetti
 player, 161 posts
 A long way from home...
 ...looking for something
Wed 21 Apr 2021
at 20:53
Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
Rana was wearing her best 'travelling' clothes as she followed Lord Henry and the others to meet with Lady Jamandi.  Even though she was not appreciably better or worse clothed than anyone else, she felt under-dressed.  Perhaps it was just the air of nobility that suffused Lord Henry, Bai and the Countess Jamandi that made her feel like a fish out of water.  However, when Lord Henry introduced her, Rana did her best to smile and bow politely to the leader of East Rostland.

She only hoped that the butterflies in her stomach had settled before the banquet started that evening.
DM
 GM, 4669 posts
Sat 24 Apr 2021
at 08:19
Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
As Jamandi sees the statues a pleasantly surprised look comes across her face and she nods her approval.  "Thank you, Swordlord."  She says emphasizing Dom's Aldori titles, "Those are fine pieces and I will have them displayed in my Villa's courtyard.  Please convey my compliments to your masons."

With that she calls a couple of staff forward, to carry the statues back into the town for her.  "Tell Dimitiri that I want them placed either side of the path, by the entrance..." 

Turning back to Henry she finishes the short audience, "I will send messengers when the banquet is ready ..."

And with that she, and her entourage, retire into the small town.





This thread grows into a basic chat mode, until the banquet is over.  There will be a chance to visit town when the banquest is over.
DM
 GM, 4679 posts
Sun 2 May 2021
at 09:41
Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
Back at the camp site ...

After the banquet, your chance for a chat or to send me PMs as you try to set up meetings etc.

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:58, Sat 15 May.

Domitius Aldori-Solanus
 player, 612 posts
 Half Elf Swordlord
 AC:21 HP:46
Fri 21 May 2021
at 06:59
Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
Dom returned to his tents contemplating the nights meal and the guests at the table, Lord Saltikov's presence was troubling to say the least.  every shadow had become dangerous and Dom knew the Saltikov family wasn't above hiring assassins to gain there revenge.  Midmarch had been a safe haven and without thinking about it Dom knew he had let his defenses slacken.

Sitting in front of the fire he looked across at Barbatius "Barbatius, I ran into an old friend at dinner, Lord Saltikov is Lady Jamandi's advisor.  So I think we will need to post two guards for the remainder of our stay.  While I don't know if he would act while we are on a diplomatic mission I wouldn't put it past the bastard either." as he spoke he stroked his beard in thought.

Barbatius put the mug he had been drinking from down and sighed "You really think he would come after you here? amongst Lord Henry's party?"

Dom spread his hands "Ï don't know, maybe is the best I can come up with.  It depends how much he values revenge over power I suppose.  I will be keeping Blazefury with me though just in case."

Barbatius nodded and looked out into the darkness "A wise move I think my friend, a wise move."
DM
 GM, 4708 posts
Wed 26 May 2021
at 08:44
Fuzzy: Diplomatic Trip
Only a few days after you arrived, the massive caravan reforms, and makes its way back towards Midmarch and, eventually, Tusk.




If any of you want to stop off in Restov for a bit of inter-character RP then you can.  However, you should note that I am off on holiday soon- and will be holed up in a campsite in a National Park -  with next to no internet.

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:52, Wed 26 May.