The Grand Ball.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
Marik
 Player, 129 posts
Mon 30 Oct 2017
at 13:57
The Grand Ball
"Ahh, that Thonat," Marik says with a little trepidation. "Well, I suppose the first question is what is the best way to approach him in this case? I'm sure you know him as well as anyone, and I expect a future merchant leader such as yourself to know how best to approach someone you hope to make a deal with."
Alanna
 NPC e, 5 posts
 Marik's Assistant
Mon 30 Oct 2017
at 14:13
The Grand Ball
"Well, if I were offered a business proposition, I would send the person to talk to the most knowledgeable person I had available to me." She raises her eyebrows and smiles slightly, making sure that Marik knows that this has just happened to him.

"In Uncle Thonat's position, I would want to know what thbusinness you are in  and what the returns are liable to be.  Did I mention that he is one of the principals of The bank of Free Restov?  He certainly won't want me involved with something that is doomed to failure."

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:10, Mon 30 Oct 2017.

Andalon de Lebeda
 Player, 472 posts
 Cleric of Abadar
Mon 30 Oct 2017
at 15:43
The Grand Ball
Andalon smiles at Tamary as she takes his arm and they head out onto the dance floor. He silently offers a quick prayer to Abadar not to let him accidentally step on her feet or do anything else to disgrace himself too badly on the dance floor. He is a little nervous at the start but quickly gains confidence after the first few steps of the dance. Soon he is feeling confident enough to chat with her as they dance.

"Are you and Kisandra going to be living out at the new settlement with your father?" he asks. "What sort of things do you like to do when there's not an event like this to dress up for?"
Cyrus Lebeda-Ondari
 Player, 883 posts
 Human Fighter
 Sword and Shield
Mon 30 Oct 2017
at 18:25
The Grand Ball
In reply to Valoria Lebeda-Ondari (msg # 37):

quote:
Valoria listened with much interest as Cyrus spoke of their future holdings and smiled even more when he spoke of her beauty. “Everything seems to be lining up very nicely. A smith will be useful. I've just been enjoying the pleasures of civilization. Good tea, good meals, books and the hot bath from time to time.” Valoria then paused for a moment, as if remembering something. “My mother informed me during our wedding that yet another cousin, Wilbur de Lebeda will be paying us a visit.  He has finished an apprenticeship in one of my father’s offices and will be heading down here with a small staff, to employ building gangs to work on our house. He would make a good Exchequer for our stronghold, it's always good to hire family.” Looking over at the tables, Valoria looked for some of her more distant kin. “If Wilbur is already down, he might be sitting with Horatio Lebeda-Berain. Perhaps we should say hello to Senior Sword Lord Horatio Lebeda-Berain? You can talk swords and I finances?"


"I hope you don't hate me for taking you back to the wilds of Midmarch." Cyrus says with a grin as Valoria lists off her activities here in civilization. "And I'm sure your cousin will be a most welcome addition in Ringbridge. It will be good to have a Lebeda male around since Andalon will likely be at the other settlement and Zauria will be with us as well, no doubt."

"It would be an honor to speak with Lord Horatio again. He was most generous to Cass and the others when we visited his school."

Cyrus offered Valoria his arm and when she took it, he escorted her over to the table where the Lebeda-Berain's were seated.
Marik
 Player, 130 posts
Tue 31 Oct 2017
at 03:03
The Grand Ball
Marik smiled, "Well, anything that has the opportunity for great success also has the potential for failure. Without some risk, there can be little reward. But, as you said, I need to be telling your uncle this. Perhaps you could introduce me?"
Alanna
 NPC e, 6 posts
 Marik's Assistant
Tue 31 Oct 2017
at 06:18
The Grand Ball
"You do need someone to look after you, don't you?" Alanna says as she leads the way across to her uncle, interrupting a conversation that he is having with Sir Ferdinand.

"Uncle Thon?  This young man would like to speak with you about a proposition he has made to me?"

And then, with a slight smile, she turns away and leaves Marik with The Honourable Thonat  Letson and Sir Ferdinand Ledkno.
DM
 GM, 1778 posts
Tue 31 Oct 2017
at 06:46
The Grand Ball
Tamary is light on her feet and dances well, carefully she ‘leads’ the dance until Andalon is more confident – and eventually even able to hold a conversation as he dances.  Tamary is certainly at home on the dancefloor, and in maintaining a conversation – in between comments about the music, décor, and a couple of people sitting at the side, Andalon discovers

”Oh.  Kissy and I will certainly be moving in with our father.  Without us, he will have no one to look after him ...  Mother passed on some time ago and now we run his home ...  I am sure there will be lots of other girls there to help me practice my dancing and fine needlework …  Kissy is looking forward to riding more and getting to explore ….”
But she intersperses those with some questions of her own.

”It must be exciting for a man of action, like you, going exploring … So what are your plans in the new land.  Apart from building a church, I mean, all you priests want to build a church … 

--
Cyrus and Val link arms and walk across to the Lebeda-Berains, where they are invited to sit and servants are waved at to bring plates of nibbles and new drinks.  “So how is married like, dear?”  lady Lebeda-berain asks the new bride?

--

The Honourable Thonat Letson, owner of half or Riverside, Councillor and Patron of the Bank of Free Restov turns to Marik and asks, ”You haven’t got my niece in the family way have you?”.  Sir Ferdinand grins and turns to speak to someone else, leaving Thonat and Marik alone …

--

OOC:  Sorry about flooding this thread with Alanna posts -  It is my fault not Marik’s.  I suddenly  started picking on him – which is a DM priviledge  :P  I promise it won’t last for much longer.

I should,  have had more than one ball thread.  (Ballroom, Council Room, Entrance) to spread the posts out.  My bad -  But I have learned for when Vik and Adoiven start throwing big events in Midmarch.

DM
 GM, 1785 posts
Wed 1 Nov 2017
at 14:41
The Grand Ball
Councillor Letson draws Marik to one side, where they can speak quietly and undisturbed. 

OOC:  Marik and I will continue in Private -  so you can have the tread back :)
Mariam doZima Wolfeater
 Player, 115 posts
Wed 1 Nov 2017
at 22:03
The Grand Ball
Mariam took her glass of wine and silently protested as her companion left her to her own fate. Taking a small sip she surveyed the area, watching Marik with the pretty half-elf for a moment she couldn't help but feel a pang of, what was that? Was she jealous? She put the notion out of her mind and noticed the newly married couple. Coming up behind them she spoke "Yes! how is the new married couple?" she curtsied, greeting the others in the group "I apologize if I'm intruding on the conversation. I would just like to congratulate you once more on your marriage" she turned to Valoria, "I do hope you enjoyed the books I gifted to you my lady, I'd heard you were a fellow lover of the written word."

This message was last edited by the player at 12:03, Thu 02 Nov 2017.

Cyrus Lebeda-Ondari
 Player, 889 posts
 Human Fighter
 Sword and Shield
Thu 2 Nov 2017
at 01:44
The Grand Ball
Cyrus is glad the questions about married life have been posed to Valoria, though he's quite sure he'll have to answer similar questions of his own before too long. With the arrival of Mariam, however, Cyrus lets Valoria turn and address her family and their new ally, while he greets Lord Lebeda-Berain, "Lord Lebeda-Berain, it is good to see you again. I did thoroughly enjoy my trip to the sword school. Thank you again for having us and for showing us around the place so well. Once things are a bit more settled in Midmarch, you will have to come out and give us some advice on how to establish such a place of martial learning of our own."
Tansy
 Secondary, 88 posts
Thu 2 Nov 2017
at 02:53
The Grand Ball
"Hurry Lex. The lord and lady were kind enough to give us an invitation, we should use it!"

Tansy's dress swished as she walked, hurried but fussing with her hair to keep it neat, clearly caring about how she looked despite her prior rough and gruff persona. Dancing with knights and lords had a way of making a village girl aware of her appearance a bit more.

She beckoned after her unlikely friend, grumbling as he lagged behind for some reason . . . wait where was he!?

"Lex?"

Confounded bandit stealth!
Andalon de Lebeda
 Player, 473 posts
 Cleric of Abadar
Thu 2 Nov 2017
at 13:13
The Grand Ball
Andalon smiled at Tamary and found himself relaxing even more in her company.

"I really admire the way you dance, Tamary. I have never enjoyed dancing more than I do here with you. I think you might find there are a lot more men than women in the new settlement the baron is building. If you were to offer dancing lessons out there I suspect the line of men wanting dancing lessons would stretch right out the door. If I lived there I think I would be right there at the front on the queue! Your sister will certainly have plenty of opportunity to ride and explore there.

"As for me, yes of course I do plan to build a church in Henry LeMaistre's new settlement but in these early days I shall take every opportunity to get out and explore the surrounding area while I can. Who knows, perhaps there is a hidden treasure trove out there or long-forgotten ruins to explore and discover their secrets? When I was a boy in New Stetven I often dreamt of becoming one of the Balanced Scales of Katapesh, travelling the world, exploring mysterious places and finding lost treasures and ancient artifacts.

"But what about you, Tamary? If your dreams could come true, what would the future hold for you?"

DM
 GM, 1789 posts
Thu 2 Nov 2017
at 21:45
The Grand Ball
Cyrus and Val chat with the Lebeda-Berains, and before long Mariam comes across to join them.

--

Tamary blushes prettily as Andalon complements her dancing and looks slightly scandalised at the though she, a lady to be, should give dancing classes.  But she listens to Andalon's descriptions of exploring and finding hidden treasures with a rapt expression.  And then replies  "Oh, I will be a lady, and run my own household.  I fully intend to marry a Lord ...  or perhaps a Bishop." she adds glancing at Andalon out of the corner of her eye.

--

Tansy looks around for Lex -  who appears to have gone missing.

This message was last updated by the GM at 21:45, Thu 02 Nov 2017.

Lex
 Secondary, 230 posts
Fri 3 Nov 2017
at 02:18
The Grand Ball
Lex had questioned his invitation to the Grand Ball since the moment he’d received it. But he did have a fancy new suit that he’d bought to attend the Lebeda-Ondari wedding a week prior and so he changed into it once again and waited for Tansy outside of the Grand Ball at the time they’d agreed to meet.

He accidentally blended in with the shadows of the early evening and forgot to reveal himself to her when she’d arrived... It wasn’t until she’d said his name that he realized he was still hiding and then he felt ashamed. He took a deep breath and then emerged from the shadows and said, "Here I am. I have been here for a while... Though this sight was well worth the wait."
Tansy
 Secondary, 89 posts
Fri 3 Nov 2017
at 04:56
The Grand Ball
Tansy took a defensive stance as Lex stepped out, then relaxed, smiling for a moment before she remembered herself and scowled

"Come along Lex! We can't leave people waiting! And don't mention anything about what happened at the wedding! I was drunk and . . . well just don't if you know what's good for you!"

She fussed with her hair, her dress, and then stopped, smiling at Lex

"Thank you, you look very handsome too."
Valoria Lebeda-Ondari
 Secondary, 269 posts
 Wizard
 Lady
Fri 3 Nov 2017
at 06:55
The Grand Ball
Valoria smiled and sat down. “Married life goes well with me dear cousin.” Looking over at Cyrus and back at her hostess, Valoria blushed. “It is a good thing to have a husband.” As she looked to the servants as she made her request. “Tea please. Thank you kindly.”

As Mariam walked up Valoria stood from her chair and gave a bow. “The books are a delight. I thank you for such a gracious gift. Please sit with us.” Turning to her cousins and extended family, Valoria gave introduction. Valoria paused for a breif moment, quickly putting together all her mind could pull from Mariam's name and taking note of the crest on her dress. “May I introduce my friend Mariam, of the great house of Medvyed.” Sitting down, Valoria looked over to Mariam with a smooth smile. “I think you and I should visit a few book stores before leaving town. I would very much enjoy your veiw point on some of the classics, if you would be so kind?”

OOC:
23:37, Today: Valoria Lebeda-Ondari rolled 23 using 1d20+8.  Knowledge (Nobility).
So, what else do I know of house Medvyed? :)

DM
 GM, 1793 posts
Fri 3 Nov 2017
at 07:18
The Grand Ball
One of the musicians finishes a short solo piece and stands up to take a bow as the rest of the musicians take over seamlessly.
Andalon de Lebeda
 Player, 477 posts
 Cleric of Abadar
Fri 3 Nov 2017
at 15:19
The Grand Ball
Andalon smiles at Tamary and continues dancing as they discuss their respective ambitions for the future.

"I think you will certainly achieve that ambition and be a great Lady one day, my Lady Tamary. I think I will need to build my church rather swiftly and rise to the rank of Bishop in record time! May I come to visit you in the baron's settlement one day soon?" he asked her.

"By the way, has the baron given his settlement or his lands a name yet? It seems odd to just talk of it as the baron's settlement or the baron's lands but I don't know what else to call it. Way over to the west on the banks of Lake Hooktongue, isn't it?"
DM
 GM, 1798 posts
Fri 3 Nov 2017
at 18:46
The Grand Ball
"It is indeed," Tamary responds, "The baron has named it after himself, it will be Fort Drelev  ...  And of course you may come to visit me, although it is a long way.  But will you write and tell me of your progress?  I am sure it will be exciting, and that you will have your bishopric very very soon."

Again she flushes a delicate pink, and her eyelids flutter, "And perhaps we will be able to dance again when you do visit.  There aren't all that men nice men to dance with ...."
Adoven
 Player, 113 posts
 Rogue / Bard
Fri 3 Nov 2017
at 22:17
The Grand Ball
Adoven speaks to Gibbs' students, saying  "Robert, what are your plans after you've completed your studies here? Gibbs, how would you rate Robert here among the budding Swordlords of Restov?"
DM
 GM, 1800 posts
Fri 3 Nov 2017
at 22:39
The Grand Ball
Robert shrugs, and looks a bit uncomfortable in his second hand courtier's outfit "Go back to the farm, I suppose ..."

However, Gibbs eyes wrinkle in a smile as he responds "Robert has some potential.  He is one of my better and students," he looks across apologetically at his other students, "He needs more practice of course, but with that he will be a competent duelist and warrior, if he chooses to be.  He has trained with  the Falcata as well as the Rapier, so he can choose between styles when he takes to the dueling table. Now it just comes down to practice and opportunity."
Andalon de Lebeda
 Player, 479 posts
 Cleric of Abadar
Sat 4 Nov 2017
at 13:17
The Grand Ball
Andalon smiled at Tamary again.

"Yes, of course I will write to you. I suppose our letters will have to come through Restov until there is a regular trade route or messenger service established between Fort Drelev and Henry's settlement. No matter. I'll find out how to get a letter to Fort Drelev before I leave. But right now I hope you are still happy to keep dancing with me? Nothing would please me more."

OOC: I can't remember what names Henry has in mind for the new settlements at Fort Stag and the Orcy Ring.

And, if someone wants to send a letter to Fort Drelev, is there a person or agency in Restov that it can be delivered to? The same question applies in relation to sending a letter to either of Henry's settlements or Oleg's trading post. Is that something that would already be coordinated by the Restov merchants' guild, perhaps?

Mariam doZima Wolfeater
 Player, 117 posts
Sun 5 Nov 2017
at 00:27
The Grand Ball
In reply to Valoria Lebeda-Ondari (msg # 59):

Nodding she took Valoria's offer. At the mention of books she lit up "That would be delightful, it's so hard to find a good read in Restov, lovely as it is. If only it had a library" she lamented.
Adoven
 Player, 115 posts
 Rogue / Bard
Sun 5 Nov 2017
at 05:35
The Grand Ball
In reply to DM (msg # 64):

Adoven smiles. "Tell me Robert, have you ever been at sea? Both Lady Vik and I have spent time working for her family aboard various merchant ships, and we both had plenty of practice against marauders and river pirates. But if that does not appeal, perhaps you can return to the new city with us. I was hoping to spread knowledge of these dueling techniques to those on the frontier who will need to know how to fight competently to defend us out there in the wild and unexplored areas. I never thought of myself as a good teacher, but I do have an eye for spotting talent. If we created a school out there, we'd need an instructor, and I think you might fit the bill. Of course, like Gibbs says, you'll need experience and practice. Those are in good supply on the frontier, and you'll live better than you might on the farm."


00:35, Today: Adoven rolled 14 using 1d20+7.  Perform: Oratory.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:36, Sun 05 Nov 2017.

DM
 GM, 1808 posts
Sun 5 Nov 2017
at 15:06
The Grand Ball
Andalon and Tamary continue to dance together for the evening and then work out that they can send letters via Restov - although the message is then sent on by road to New Stetven and finally by boat to Fort Drelev.

-----

Mariam chats about books with the Lebeda clan and everyone establishes where everyone else sits on the scale of Brevoy Nobility.

---

Robert accepts Adoven's offer to travel with him and gain experience as a squire before moving into a role running a sword school.