Location: Tusk (Central District)   Posted by DM.Group: 0
~ Brother Florin
 NPC e, 12 posts
 Acolyte at Temple of
 Abadar in Tusk Town
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 12:37
Location: Tusk (Central District)
Brother Florin's eyes widen in surprise when he hears the elf name himself as Duma the Sly. He hesitates a moment before nervously moving forward to whisper something to Andalon, Cass and those close by.

"Father Andalon, I've heard that name before. I once heard a caravan guard and a farmer arguing about him. The guard called him a bandit but the farmer insisted he isn't all bad. Something about him stealing from the rich and giving to the poor? But that doesn't sound likely, does it?" he whispered.
Andalon de Lebeda
 Player, 729 posts
 Cleric of Abadar
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 12:58
Location: Tusk (Central District)
Andalon looked surprised by Brother Florin's words and glanced speculatively at Duma and his men before responding.

"The Gronzi Forest is at the eastern end of Lake Reykal. My family are merchants in New Stetven, on the southern side of the lake. If he is a bandit I guess he probably doesn't interfere with trade on the lake or I would certainly have heard of him," he whispered. "New Stetven is built with a lot of timber from the Gronzi Forest and the price of timber keeps increasing because the woodcutters keep having to cart timber from further away as the closest parts of the forest are cleared. That's probably what he means about the Gronzi getting smaller. Elves have long memories."
DM
 GM, 2716 posts
 Mad, bad and slightly sad
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 16:47
Location: Tusk (Central District)
"I won't be moving, of course.  After 200 years or so, I feel quite at home where I am.  However, now Brevoy has started to change, it is time for some of the younger ones to strike out for themselves."
Adoven
 Player, 348 posts
 HP 34 AC 18 F+2 R+8 W+2
 Rogue / Bard
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 16:55
Location: Tusk (Central District)
Adoven'E eyes light up. "Ah, you wish parcels of land in Midmarch to homestead for some of your younger members. Or are you seeking to establish a satellite city in the woods to the West?"
DM
 GM, 2723 posts
 Mad, bad and slightly sad
Sun 10 Mar 2019
at 14:46
Location: Tusk (Central District)
It isn’t too long before hooves are heard coming back into town, and henry appears at the edge of the crowd.  Brother Bart walks alongside him, speaking quietly and rapidly, but drops back as Henry approaches  Duma.  ”Good day to you, sir.  I understand that you have come to speak with me?  I must say, though, that you have made a very impressive entrance.  Has someone offered you refreshments?  Or a place to stay?”

The ancient elf bows his head slightly, in acknowledgement, as Henry approaches, and then smiles slightly.  ”Your mayor has offered me shelter, although I don’t expect to be here for long after we have conducted our visit.  I even find sitting in this chair tiring now-a-days.  However, to the purpose of my visit.  For the last two hundred, or so years, ever since the battle at the Valley of Fire, I have been living in the forests of Gronzi.  For all of that time, my people have been living a precarious existence, perused by the Rogarvia and now the Surtova.   Once, long ago, an elf child came to my forests, starving and unlikey to survive.  We found her, and my men helped her through her earliest years, until she was able to fend for herself.   But, I kept an eye on her from afar for many years afterwards.  She came here to you, so I was able to watch you as I watched her.  Then, once I had seen the area a few times, I was able to watch you grow and develop.   You have been kind to the elf girl, even though her blood is tainted, and you have been kind to the forests.  Now, I would like to take advantage of that kindness and send some of my  people here, where will be free to live without fear of either the Rogarvia or the Surtova.  Free to build something that will grow beyond our small living in the forests of Gronzi.  Free to make their own mark on the world.”

He indicates, and one of his men takes off a small backpack, takes a cloak and spreads it on the ground, before he upends the backpack.  A pile of coins jewellery, and other small  items  fall from the pack to make a heap on the cloak.  Then he tosses the backpack on top, before retiring to his position by Duma’s chair.  Speaking more formally now, Duma continues”I would like to purchase the right for some of my family, their children and followers to build a settlement in your forests here.  And I am prepared to give everything in that pile to achieve that goal.”

Henry nods, thinks for a moment and then turns to you all.  ”Your thoughts?  You are my supporters and officers, the mainstay of Midmarch, and I would take your counsel.”

The old elf just nods contentedly, and winks at Adoven, as if he is pleased at the decision he has made.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:20, Sun 10 Mar.

Andalon de Lebeda
 Player, 731 posts
 Cleric of Abadar
Sun 10 Mar 2019
at 15:32
Location: Tusk (Central District)
Andalon steps forward and speaks quietly to Henry, not wanting to offend their visitors.

"Henry, there are rumours that speak of Duma the Sly and his men as bandits. If his people were enemies of the Rogarvia and now the Surtova there may also be diplomatic consequences if we assist them, although the Church of Abadar is supportive of allowing people to make a new start here if they help to spread civilisation in this land. I suggest we should find out a bit more about them and at least satisfy ourselves that allowing them to settle here would not be simply inviting them to take over the role the Stag Lord once filled within these lands."
Adoven
 Player, 355 posts
 HP 34 AC 18 F+2 R+8 W+2
 Rogue / Bard
Sun 10 Mar 2019
at 18:02
Location: Tusk (Central District)
Adoven bows his head and adds "taming these lands is a big job. Any elven community which is well favored to us would be welcome on our western frontier. If you feel the need for council you might ask Pipre's mother. She is concerned with what affects the local ecology and might have insights into the desireablity of elven neighbors. As for myself,  I can only imagine the quality of goods coming from this proposed settlement. Given their long lives,  many have had decades to improve their crafts."
DM
 GM, 2735 posts
 Mad, bad and slightly sad
Sun 10 Mar 2019
at 19:15
Location: Tusk (Central District)
"Ah.  My people aren't elves.  My people are mainly human.  As a single elf, fleeing from the conflagration that decimated the Aldori, I sought refuge where I could.  In my case it was the Gronzi.  However  I, personally, am long-lived and that meant  I eventually came to lead all the people in their quest for survival.  These good people here ..." Duma indicates the guards standing around his chair, "are all part of my family, and of my blood.  To some degree or another.  The people who come here will be mainly human, and led by one of my great grandsons."
Domitius
 player, 111 posts
 Half Elf Fighter/Rogue
 AC:18 HP:26
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 12:20
Location: Tusk (Central District)
Domitius feeling a little self conscious says to Henry "My lord there are many of us who call elves kin who serve you.  There are also many who once stood on the other sie of the law in Brevoy who are now upstanding or respectable citizens of Midmarch. Let us judge each on their merits not on rumour and hear say.  I think we should meet the man who would be their leader and take his measure before a decision is made.

Domitius looks over at the old elf and a thought crossed his mind"Duma, do you know of the Aeratholsyr family?"
Andalon de Lebeda
 Player, 733 posts
 Cleric of Abadar
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 13:36
Location: Tusk (Central District)
"Henry, I assume Aris'ta is at Hunters' Rest at present. Given her mixed heritage I suspect she is the elf girl that Duma speaks of. She can probably tell us more about Duma and his people than anyone else could," Andalon suggested, still speaking quietly.
Kendrick Winters
 player, 224 posts
 Marshal of Tusk Town
 Knight Paladin of Iomedae
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 15:59
Location: Tusk (Central District)
Kendrick Winters made his way to the central district. He received reports of a disturbance, but when he arrived he found Lord Henry and several prominent citizens in a discussion with outlanders. All seemed relatively calm, at the moment. His hand rested on a signal horn at his side.
Zelona
 player, 101 posts
 Half-elf Druid
 HP: 14 - AC: 17
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 17:55
Location: Tusk (Central District)
Zelona walked forward to the gathered group and nodded to Lord Henry and the others. "My Lord Henry, Mayor Cass, I would advise caution here. If we allow them to establish something in the forest, should they turn against what we're trying to build here, they would be very hard to root out. Their leader is not called 'the Sly' for nothing. He lays at our feet vast wealth, taken from the rich of Brevoy to try and secure a place here.  How long before those of us who are trying to build something become the 'rich' from whom his family begin to take?"

She looked to the ancient elf and his compatriots, "I also agree that the diplomatic implications would be... difficult if you freely allow them entrance."
Kendrick Winters
 player, 226 posts
 Marshal of Tusk Town
 Knight Paladin of Iomedae
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 18:13
Location: Tusk (Central District)
"Zelona brings up a good point." Kendrick said as he stepped forward. "Another question to add is if the new settlement would be under Lord Henry's authority or if they are seeking an independent region. I have heard of "Sphere of Influence" which is a region of outside control of the MidMarch. I would advise against such an arrangement." He turned back to the aged elf, "Just how many folks are hoping to relocate to the area?"
Cass Mordane
 Player, 353 posts
 Bard, Sword Scion
 Sometime Diplomat
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 19:19
Location: Tusk (Central District)
Cass stood with the others, listening to their concerns. Each with its own validity. Henry would have the final say, but as was his nature, the governor of Midmarch allowed everyone to speak their minds, settling only on a solution as it was best for all.


But even if the elderly elf and his people could not hear what was being said, they surely knew that it was they who were being talked about. Least feelings began to grow that it was a case of one faction against another, Cass thought it best to try and keep things congenial.

"Duma the Sly!" Cass said loud enough for everyone gathered in the clearing to hear. "Now there's a name that you can hang a hat on!" The mirth in his voice evident, and it was clear that he intended his words to be lighthearted, if somewhat poignant.

"A name nearing legend," Cass continued. "If a humble bard may be allowed to say so. It is not a name to be associated with a portly, jolly minister with his weekend sermons and his late lunch plans. It is a name to be respected, but somewhat warily."

As was the tradecraft of anyone who stood before the opinions of others, Cass gauged the reactions of his audience. But he did so without slowing his words.

"A name said to lay claims on the under-protected coins of the Brevoy. Robbing from the rich, and giving to the poor."

"But was it only to poor Duma?" Cass joked in a stage whisper.

"Now these good people wonder what it is that will prevent sly Duma from laying claim to their gold as well. But since you have brought your people out into the open in such a straightforward, even if surprising manner, I feel that you have good intent. Please give those gathered here assurances that you have no intention to despoil them, or raise an invading army under their noses and Henry can likely set the works in motion for your people to become citizens of Midmarch with all the rights and responsibilities in which that entails. And their long winded Mayor can get a little something to drink."

OOC :
13:49, Today: Cass Mordane rolled 22 using 1d20+13.  Diplomacy.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:22, Mon 11 Mar.

DM
 GM, 2742 posts
 Mad, bad and slightly sad
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 19:50
Location: Tusk (Central District)
Duma waits patiently as Henry takes council from his advisors, a slight smile playing across his ancient lips, but responds when he is addressed directly.

I am afraid, young man, that I am not acquainted with the family of which you speak,” he responds to Domitius, ”Even before my exile in Gronzi, I was never a part of mainstream elven culture, but was brought up among humans.”

To Kendrick he responds ”My people have been outcast for many a year, they will play a full and proper part in the land you are building here.  There will be no more than a couple of hundred to start with.  Many less that you have taken in already.  More might want to make the journey later.”

When Cass speaks out loudly, Duma smiles a bit more widely, and inclines his head slightly in recognition of the mayor’s description of him.  ”There are always two sides to every story,” he responds as the bard finishes, ”We prefer to think of our activities as defending the forest, and our homes, against those who wish to plunder its wealth for their own benefit.  But it is true that many a lumber merchant and his logging crew have died, or run from my men, over the years.  Those that ran, we allowed to leave – to spread tales of the dangers lurking in the deep forest.  Although we often lightened their purses before allowing them to flee.

And, of course, my people have no desire to despoil yours -  but then I would say that whether I meant it or not.”
he says, smiling wryly.
Pipre
 Player, 796 posts
 11/11 Bombs
Tue 12 Mar 2019
at 08:02
Location: Tusk (Central District)
Pipre runs her fingers idly across the short, soft shaved side of her head in thought, listening to the elder elf and Cass as well as any detractors. "Bandits don't buy new homes in civilization, they pay off settlements to trade with them and legitimize the wealth they have plundered. If their plan is to take advantage of us, they are doing it wrong. If he deserves his sobriquet Duma wouldn't make such a mistake.

"Offer the people who wish to live here the chance to do so as everyone else does. Bandits who put aside their past life willingly and without having to first be subjugated do not get the brand, right?"


She shows her pale, brand-less hands and wrists as proof of the policy.
Andalon de Lebeda
 Player, 735 posts
 Cleric of Abadar
Wed 13 Mar 2019
at 13:48
Location: Tusk (Central District)
As I noted previously, if Duma and his people were enemies of the Rogarvia and now the Surtova there may also be diplomatic consequences if we assist them," Andalon repeats himself. He pauses a moment, then frowns uncertainly as he asks, "Whose signature is on your Charter, Henry?"
Zelona
 player, 107 posts
 Half-elf Druid
 HP: 14 - AC: 17
Wed 13 Mar 2019
at 16:36
Location: Tusk (Central District)
In reply to Pipre (msg # 36):

Zelona turned to Pipre as she spoke in favor of allowing the request and listened, then responded without much emotion. "He is called the 'sly', we don't know how long a game he may be aiming to play here. Buy into an area farther from the control of your enemies, with stolen wealth from them, fortify your position, and shift all your forces to it before you change the stakes of agreement seem like the long term plans an ancient elf called 'sly' might enact."

With a sigh she continued, "I'm all for second chances, and I think laws often go too far. But this is different. Most bandits aren't sought by kings as Duma is, he isn't a roadside ruffian who takes small coin from merchants. This is a person and a band who likely have prices on their heads from kings of Brevoy and who has harried the nobility for decades. Not to mention Andalon's points."
Henry LeMaistre
 NPC, 97 posts
 NPC - Charter Holder
 Noble & Merchant
Sat 16 Mar 2019
at 08:50
Location: Tusk (Central District)
Henry acknowledges the points brought up by his advisors with a nod of his head, and listens to Duma’s responses with interest. After a few moments thought, he makes his decision.

”My own family’s lands were lost during The War Without Rivals in Ustalav, and most of my family, along with many of our people were lost in that conflict. My mother was sent here to ensure that some of us survived. She sold the family jewellery, and set up our family business in New Steven. Since that time my family has both grown and prospered. By birth right, and with fate’s intervention, I am now head of the family, and made the decision that we should come here, in the hope that it would provide security for the family, and allow us to grow and prosper.

For that reason, I have always respected the ways in which the Aldori survived the conflict at The Valley of Fire. They have found ways to prosper in Restov and Mivon, and The Khavortorov family found a way to survive and prosper within the heart of their old enemy’s new domain. Now Duma has told us of the way that he survived that conflict in the Gronzi Forests.

When I came here, when we were struggling to defeat the Stag lord, before we started to build Midmarch, I made a decision that we would give others a second chance at life. Much like my family had been given a second chance in Brevoy. And that has worked out well for us. I know of at least two reformed bandit among our most prominent citizens, another runs a business here in Tusk,  and I employ more reformed bandits within my own household.  They, along with the rest of you, have become a part of my larger family and responsibility. And, if push comes to shove, I will fight for your rights to stay here against anyone who would try and take them away from us.

Which is yet another parallel that I can draw between my family’s story and Duma’s words here today. Every story of wars, banditry and fighting have two sides to them. I do not know that Duma’s words concerning the defence of the Gronzi are honest, nor do I believe that there has there have never been mistakes and deliberate banditry. However, as Pipre has said, why come here like this, if only to take from us?  Even wanting to find a new place for his extended family, mirrors my family’s plight and our push into these new lands.

Zelona questions whether we should allow people to settle into the Narlemarch, but we can’t allow the Forest to stay completely wild. So far we have discovered some very unpredictable Fey, who we are managing with a nature reserve and, most recently, a warren of vicious Kobolds with a penchant for eating gnomes and, I assume, anyone else that got in their way. If Duma’s words are honest, his people have experience of protecting forests, rather than destroying them.”


He pauses for a moment more, as he runs through his thoughts again.

”Andalon, my charter was signed by the Lord Mayor of Restov, under his devolved authority from the Crown of Brevoy, and gives me the right to implement the law, as I feel appropriate, in this region. I have always chosen to give people a second chance, and have not yet turned anyone away. So long as they chose to work within our community and showed themselves to be of good faith.”

Henry then steps forwards and addresses the old elf directly.

”Duma, I will grant your request. You people will be give land in the forest, to the west of Marik’s new settlement at Iron Keep. That land is unexplored, and they will have to claim it for themselves, although it will remain a part of Midmarch and fall under my authority as governor. I will expect them to look after the forest there, it is to be lived in rather than exploited, although eventually we will probably drive a trade road though that area. My men, Borric and Tib, will check on them regularly and any offences against the People of Midmarch will be dealt with accordingly.”
DM
 GM, 2782 posts
 Mad, bad and slightly sad
Sat 16 Mar 2019
at 09:00
Location: Tusk (Central District)
Duma nods slowly as Henry finally makes his decision.

"Henry of Midmarch, I believe you are an honourable man and will keep to your decision.  It is a good decision, and one that I hope I would have made in the same circumstance.  However, to help assuage your advisors fears, I will ensure that my people are accompanied by a cleric of Erastil, who will guide them in their treatment of the forest and their relationships with your people.

may the gods look favourably upon your ventures here.  And expect to see the first of my people in  the spring.  They will travel in small groups so as not to attract attention to themselves."
he adds with a smile.

"By your leave, I will depart.  My family are always concerned that something will happen to me while I am away from home." He grins an ancient's grin, "I am sure they think I am so old and feeble that I could drop dead at the first gust of wind.  However, I am prepared to bet that I have a few more years in me yet."
Andalon de Lebeda
 Player, 741 posts
 Cleric of Abadar
Sat 16 Mar 2019
at 14:46
Location: Tusk (Central District)
Andalon bows respectfully to Henry then turns and bows to Duma as well.

"On behalf of Tusk Town Council, Duma I welcome you and your people to Midmarch. Our town will need timber from the Narlmarch forest, of course, but we will establish an appropriate limit to the area where timber will be cut so that we do not encroach upon the lands your people have been granted. I trust that we can all learn from the mistakes that caused problems in the Gronzi Forest and look forward to all being good neighbours."
DM
 GM, 2784 posts
 Mad, bad and slightly sad
Sat 16 Mar 2019
at 15:39
Location: Tusk (Central District)
"Oh, I am sure they will need somewhere to sell their timber." Duma responds with a smile.  "After all, if they aren't to bandit ..." he continues good naturedly, "They will haver to earn a living somehow.  But thank you for your welcome,  we have had our fill of less welcoming neighbours." He says more seriously, with a nod of thanks towards Andalon.
Adoven
 Player, 373 posts
 HP 34 AC 18 F+2 R+8 W+2
 Rogue / Bard
Sat 16 Mar 2019
at 18:04
Location: Tusk (Central District)
Adoven speaks up "we can always use talented individuals at V&A who know the value of items or are good at negotiations. I don't suppose you have any master shipbuilders among your new settlers, do you?" Adoven asks almost wistfully.
DM
 GM, 2798 posts
 Mad, bad and slightly sad
Tue 19 Mar 2019
at 12:21
Location: Tusk (Central District)
"I am afraid not, young man.  We have little uses for ships in the forest."  Duma looks to his men, and they each take a step backwards and place one hand on the Mage's chair.

"My people will see you in the spring." he says with a final nod towards Henry.  A few moments later, the chair, Duma and his guards all disappear - although this time he manages it quietly.


Henry smiles softly as the elf and his entourage teleport out and calls to Borric, who had been standing a bit further back.  "Borric, if you will have this removed to the keep ..." he indicates the 'payment' still piled in the middle of the square. "I will arrange for its dispersal."

For the first time, a hum of conversation can be heard from the surrounding crowds.
Zelona
 player, 109 posts
 Half-elf Druid
 HP: 14 - AC: 17
Tue 19 Mar 2019
at 19:33
Location: Tusk (Central District)
Zelona shrugged at Henry's decision and the subsequent discussion and departure of Duma the Sly from their midst, "I pray that your wisdom in this matter is greater than my caution Lord Henry. Either way Spring will bring interesting changes for Midmarch."

With that Zelona gave a bow and departed the town square. She had the building of a craft shop to oversee at Oleg's after all...