Fuzzy: The Dragons Den.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
~ Berta Roth
 NPC p, 5 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Thu 23 Aug 2018
at 12:23
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Berta leans towards Gedd.

"I hope you have your bow handy. If either of them start in on that never-ending song about Bishop Brugar, you have my permission to put an arrow in them !" she tells her brother, keeping a straight face.
~ Gedd
 NPC p, 7 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Thu 23 Aug 2018
at 13:13
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Gedd frowns at Berta's comment and responds with mock-seriousness.

"Really? You're not a fan of one of the finest champions of justice that ever lived?"

But he can't keep up the pretense and bursts out laughing at the thought of what Berta would do if she ever came face to face with that lecherous old gods-botherer.
~ Berta Roth
 NPC p, 6 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Fri 24 Aug 2018
at 04:39
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Berta joins in with her brother's mirth, grinning broadly.

"Aye, if such a man as Bishop Brugar ever did live, then I'd be pleased to make his acquaintance and liberate a jug or two with him ... it's the verses those two reprobates come up with," she nods in the direction of Wyn and Folfast, "that'd get us shut down !"
Adoven
 Player, 262 posts
 Rogue / Bard
Fri 24 Aug 2018
at 11:18
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Adoven strums his lute to a spritely tune, saying "I fear my voice isn't as cultured as yours, my friend. Still, I offer this little ditty, called the Captain's Wife's Lament."


 "The ship sailed into harbor
 After fifteen months at sea
 The captain hit the tavern
 With his crew of fifty-three

 After drinking up their pay
 They staggered through the town
 But all the inns and public houses
 Turned the sailors down

 The captain said “Fear not, me lads
 You all can come with me
 I live just ‘round the corner
 And you all can stay for free”

But when the captain’s wife awoke
 Upon the break of day
 They say that you could hear her wailin’
Clear to Bot’ny Bay…

She said there’s
 Seamen all around the bed
 And seamen on the floor
 Seamen in the bathroom
 And behind the closet door

 There’s seamen in the fireplace
 And seamen in the hall
 The living room is carpeted
 With seamen, wall to wall

 There’s seamen in the entryway
 And seamen on the stair
 And worst of all, there’s even seamen
 In me underwear

 There’s some behind the larder
 And beneath the table, too
 I do believe your seamen
 Got into me Irish stew

 There’s seamen here in front of me
 And seamen in the rear
 My God—there’s even seamen
 Hanging from the chandelier

 There’s seamen on the windowsill
 And seamen in the yard
 The seamen even left a stain
 Upon the Saint Bernard

 Although I am a patient wife
‘Tis more than I can bear
 To wake up in the morning
 With your seamen in my hair

 I ne’er again do wish to see thee
 Darken up my door
 So clean up all your seamen and
 Come round my way no more
 So clean up all your seamen and
 Come round my way no more!"



Courtesy of Paul and Storm

This message was last edited by the player at 13:27, Sat 25 Aug 2018.

~ Gedd
 NPC p, 8 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Fri 24 Aug 2018
at 14:17
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Gedd listened to Adoven's song and was soon clapping in time to the beat. As the song finished he burst out laughing and applauded loudly.

Still grinning he turned back to Berta to ask, "What about sea shanties like that one? Are they OK or do you want me to shoot him too?"
_Winnie
 NPC, 6 posts
Fri 24 Aug 2018
at 14:24
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Winnie laughs lightly as Adoven works his way through the song, then nods across at Wyn and Folfast  "I suspect those two reprobates would approve."
~ Berta Roth
 NPC p, 7 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Sat 25 Aug 2018
at 05:14
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Despite her earlier remarks, Berta grins at Adoven's sea shanty, and her smile only broadens as she leans close to reply to her brother.

"Shoot him ?  Might be a kindness.  If Captain Bannar or his Aldori Guards hear of this, they'll likely gut him and string him up by his entrails !"
~ Darius
 NPC e, 1 post
 Scribe, Carouser
Tue 28 Aug 2018
at 22:17
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Darius' head swayed slightly in rhythm with Adoven's song as he walked towards Pete the Poacher's table, hard cider in hand. "Mind if I join ya," he asked as he pulled out a chair and took a set without waiting for an answer. "What's new Pete? Other than this here establishment of course," he added with a sly smile.
~ Pete the Poacher
 NPC p, 6 posts
Wed 29 Aug 2018
at 13:06
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Old Pete glances across at the newcomer for a moment before nodding.

"Whole town's new, far as I can tell, 'cept the fort on the hill. I've known Folfast for more years than he'd like to admit and known Wyn a couple of years too, but first time I've seen young Adoven perform. But it's the first time I heard any of those songs they sang. So, a good start to the night, I reckon.

"Outside of the town, I don't know much yet. Haven't had a chance to explore too far yet. I've been a bit busy helping 'em get this place set up. Now that it's up and running I reckon I might have a good look around outside of town, talk to folk about what sort of game is available in the area and start getting a feel for the place that way. I heard something about some kind of swamp down south with some interesting mushrooms that might be worth a visit, too.

"What about you, young fella?"
he asked Darius. "You got any plans of what you hope to do here?"
~ Darius
 NPC e, 2 posts
 Scribe, Carouser
Sat 1 Sep 2018
at 15:27
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Darius shrugs as he takes a sip from his cider, "Not quite sure. I'm came out here for a change of scenery. I'm offering scribe services for those interested, but I can't expect that to bring in too much money. I'll guess we'll see."
~ Pete the Poacher
 NPC p, 7 posts
Sat 1 Sep 2018
at 16:08
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Old Pete looks at Darius for a moment then taps his chin thoughtfully.

"What about maps? If you can use pen and ink you can probably make a fair copy of a map and add in extra bits as folk explore and report what they find. I hear Henry LeMaistre has a decent overall map of Midmarch and he will let folk study it when they need to. Might be a market for copies of that, especially if you can add more details as they become known.  Actually, it's funny how many of those adventurous explorer types find there way into an inn like this one when they stagger back into town. Thirsty work, obviously," he adds with a grin.

"You could even write down the tales that folk tell you about the places they've seen. Or the songs that get sung here of a night time. You might have to read them out loud for those of us as can't read for ourselves, of course. The more I think on it, the more I can see uses for what you can do. Talk to merchants like V&A - that's Adoven up there who just finished singing - and Henry LeMaistre's people about using your services as a scribe or bookkeeper or mapmaker. I think you will find plenty of work here," he concludes.

This message was last updated by the GM at 18:52, Sat 01 Sept 2018.

~ Darius
 NPC e, 3 posts
 Scribe, Carouser
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 01:48
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Darius rubs his chin, pondering for a moment. "Maps? Hmm, I hadn't thought of that, but it's an intriguing idea. And I'm sure something that would prove useful out here.

Serving as a scribe, especially for official documents such as Henry LeMaistre and the various merchants around here might need, was my original thought and something I will pursue. But I am now quite interested in how I might fare with mapmaking. Thank you for the idea."

~ Folfast Balhon
 NPC p, 2 posts
 Author, poet & playwright
 Guest at the Roth's Inn
Sun 23 Sep 2018
at 06:31
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
On his way to the bar for a sip of second breakfast, Folfast weighs in on the discussion in passing.

"The tales and stories are welcome fodder from which we happy few might spin song and verse to enthrall and inspire," he booms.  "From such are legends made !"

"Indeed, someone," his tone suffice to inform that it should be anyone other than himself, who is at least able to scratch out words without offending the gods of grammar and spelling, "should commit the history of this fledgling outpost to parchment that it be passed down for posterity."

"Milady !" having spoken his piece, Folfast turns away, raising a hand in plaintive entreaty towards Berta at the bar, "I am in dire need of refreshment !  A glass, quickly, lest I perish !"
~ Berta Roth
 NPC p, 9 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Sun 30 Sep 2018
at 12:22
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"I've told you not to call me that," Berta hisses crossly at Folfast as she pours him a glass, banging down on the counter, glaring at the old sot all the while.
~ Darius
 NPC e, 4 posts
 Scribe, Carouser
Sun 30 Sep 2018
at 18:17
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Darius chuckled at Berta's response as he turned to Folfast, "well, I'm no bard such as yourself, but I am quite capable of putting words down on parchment. Perhaps we could work together to pen a gripping tale of the story of Midmarch?"
DM
 GM, 2488 posts
Mon 24 Dec 2018
at 15:25
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
New day.

With the summer over and autumn drawing to a close, it would soon be too cold to travel far.  With winter would come the snow, storms, ice and fog for which the region was famed.  Soon it would be time for warm fires, mulled wines and warm, sticky puddings.

But now the harvest was in, and the new city's suppliers for the winter secured, it was time for a celebration.  New ales are available at the bar, and warming stews and puddings are already starting to show on the menu.

Up on the small stage an itinerant performer recites a simple folk poem, that describes a country boy's education.

Boy and Uncle marching proud,
Calling critters names aloud,
Travelling o'er ground unploughed
Through early morning's misty shroud.
Another trip, already vowed!

Look there! Quickly! See?
See the squirrel climb the tree?
He hides his nuts from you and me.

A Cabbage White, that butterfly,
Dipping low, then flapping high.
He checks for food, that he might spy.

Watch the rabbit in his  hole,
Skirting round the tree trunk's bole,
Looking deep within your soul?

Feathered grouse, hid underfoot
Wingtip feathers black like soot.
Eggs in nest, so nicely put.

Foxgloves standing in the dells
With flowery spikes of purple bells
Deadly poison, and death foretells.

Staghorn beetle's spiky nose,
Grubbing round the dead thorn rose.
Then taking up a fighting pose

Vixen in her covered den!
Blood and feathers  from a hen,
'Twas taken from the farmers pen.

Rufus Robin on the twig,
Jumping down to earth to dig.
He's finding worms, both fat and big

Watch the eagle way up there
Smaller creatures all beware,
And head home swiftly, for your lair

Boy and Uncle marching proud,
Calling critters names aloud,
Travelling o'er ground unploughed
Through early morning's misty shroud.
Another trip already vowed!

Zach Malford
 NPC e, 1 post
 Business Manager of
 Winters Wares and Spices
Tue 25 Dec 2018
at 21:41
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Zach Malford had ordered a private room for dinner this evening. He had a special guest. He called upon the Dragons Den because it was becoming on of the favorites here in Tusk Town. And he needed to make a favorable impression.

"Be sure to serve the wine as soon as we are seated. Followed by the appetizers." Zach instructed the staff. "I'll let you know when to bring in the main dish. And keep the wine cups full at all times."

Zach Malford was in his element. He wore a black and silver ensemble that kept everything neat and simple. Yet there was an air of confidence in the man. That was one of the reasons he held the position of business manager. As a business manager, he was responsible for making sure that the business venture was profitable. And there were many ways to that end, some of them were less than legal. He just had to make sure that they weren't illegal; for that would strain his relationship with the owner. Zach had to find the grey areas; that was where the greatest profits lie.

Several minutes later, a servant escorted the special guest into the private room. "Good evening Sir Winters. I trust that your travels went well. Please enjoy the evening while I summarize the reports for your business venture."

"Wine?"
Zach gave a nod to the servant who began pouring the wine. Appetizers soon followed.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:45, Tue 25 Dec 2018.

_Winnie
 NPC, 7 posts
Tue 25 Dec 2018
at 21:53
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Winnie smiles sweetly as she listens to Zach's instructions, and then leaves to make sure that the private room is all properly and neatly arranged with fresh linens and the crockery and cutlery arranged to perfection.

A bottle of wine sits prominently on a side table, and she starts to pour as soon as directed, before leaving for a moment or two and returning with a tray full of small appetizers.

There is a selection of small savoury pastries, a creamy fish dressing on small circular slices of toast, sticks of vegetables and various dips to help get the meal started.  Then she stands, almost in a military 'at ease' position, by the door waiting for the  diners to finish the course so that she can clear the table and bring the main course.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:00, Tue 25 Dec 2018.

Kendrick Winters
 player, 130 posts
 House Winters
Tue 25 Dec 2018
at 22:09
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Kendrick Winters stomped the hard ground as he walked the streets of Tusk Town. The ground was getting colder, harder. The wind held a chill of what was to come. Winter was coming.Iomedae

He entered the Dragons Den and quickly closed the door behind him. He opened his cloak and shook the chill from his outer garment. The warmth of the room cheered his demeanor. Kendrick asked a passing serving girl, "I'm here to see Master Malford. I understand that he has a private room?" The girl pointed to a room deeper in the Dragons Den before she rushed to fulfill a drink order.

Kendrick found the room and Zack Malford. Zack greeted him and offered him a cup of wine. "Thank you. Indeed our mission into the Narlemarch posed some challenges, but we did manage the best outcome possible... given the circumstances."

The two men continued in their chat while sampling the appetizers and the wine. Both wore a symbol of the sun and sword, a holy symbol of Iomedae. One of of dark wood and the other of silver. They were of similar height but Kendrick had the build of a seasoned warrior and Zach was more accustomed to the quill than that of a sword. "Zach. Tell me how things are going with the business?"

Zach turned to Winnie and motioned for the main course to be served.
_Winnie
 NPC, 8 posts
Tue 25 Dec 2018
at 22:19
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Wiine acknowledges the instruction, and pokes her head out of the door, before she starts to clear the remains of the first course.  Shortly afterwards a waiter appears with a steaming roasted haunch of elk, acompanied by a selection of vegetable.

Taking a large knife, Winnie sharpens it against a steel, and carves the joint while the waiter removes the used dishes.  Once the meat is carved, she serves portion to each of the guests, and then adds vegetables from the selection on the table.  After checking whether they want gravy, she tops up wine glasses and returns to her station,  where she waits demurely.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:19, Tue 25 Dec 2018.

~ Darius
 NPC e, 5 posts
 Scribe, Carouser
Tue 25 Dec 2018
at 22:25
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Darius sat at his usual table, nursing an ale as a now finished bowl of stew sat on the edge of the table. A rudimentary map was laid out in front of him, his first foray into his potential new business; one that he felt could also benefit his benefactor.

It didn't pass his notice that Zach made his way to a private room, and shortly thereafter was followed by Sir Winters. He wondered to himself what that could be about.
Zach Malford
 NPC e, 2 posts
 Business Manager of
 Winters Wares and Spices
Tue 25 Dec 2018
at 22:51
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Zach reported on the business, "I think we need to rename the business to 'Winters Wares and Spices'. This will give our customers a better idea of what makes us different from other businesses. And of course, there will always be a market for spices. As places like the Dragons Den opens, the spice must follow... otherwise, it's simply camp food."

He stopped speaking as the staff brought in the roasted elk. "This dish was prepared with some of the spices that I gave the cook." The two men ate. Their silence was often interrupted with more drinking and complements.

"And I think that we have an opportunity to expand." The last comment brought Kendrick to set down the food. He reached for the wine. "Expand? How so?"

"Ringbridge."
Kendrick Winters
 player, 131 posts
 House Winters
Wed 26 Dec 2018
at 02:41
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Ringbridge. Kendrick repeated the town's name silently while Zach continued speaking...

"Kendrick, Kendrick. Did you hear what I said?" Zach paused while waiting for a reaction from Kendrick.

Kendrick finally blinked, "Yes, yes. Of course. I'm fine with the new business name. You convinced me last month that my best decision was to hire you as the business manager. I appreciate these reports." His hand slowly reached for a dagger at his belt. "As for Ringbridge, that make sense too."

He pulled out the sheathed dagger. "Here. Take this." The pommel of the dagger was wrapped in a leather strip. Kendrick pulled the dagger from the sheath, "It's a silver dagger. Last time I was in Ringbridge I was called upon to help track and kill a man inflicted with lycanthrope. We were successful." He thrust the dagger into the sheath, "I worry that there may be more. Lt Lincoln said that he would be alert for any similar sightings. You should check in with him and with Gandred at the Torag's House while you're there."

Kendrick pushed his plate forward. "What's for dessert?"

"More WINE!" Zach almost shouted with a hint of panic.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:59, Wed 26 Dec 2018.

~ Berta Roth
 NPC p, 10 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Wed 26 Dec 2018
at 06:15
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
This evening luck was with Berta and sees her dressed in her leathers and keeping a wary eye over the gathering crowd, while Gedd lends a hand behind the bar, though with the place filling up, she's had to reluctantly surrender her seat for the use of paying customers,and can only look on as the ale flows their way not hers.  Not while 'on duty'.

Zach's peremptory manner of addressing the servants brings a narrowing of her eyes and a sympathetic glance at Winnie, but does not suffice to stir her to teach the man to speak more politely ... or if it does, then she sets that urge aside, though it's certain it's not forgotten, much less forgiven.

The arrival of Kendrick for the meeting is noted ... and his courtesy gets a nod of approval, though she keeps her eye on the door, and when the urgent call comes for more wine, she pushes herself to her feet and collects tray and bottle from the bar to delivery it personally to Winnie, her lip twitching in a smile.

"Everything well here ?" she asks her sister-in-law.
_Winnie
 NPC, 9 posts
Wed 26 Dec 2018
at 07:55
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Winnie nods and smiles as Berta delivers the wine, assuring her sister-in-law that all is fine within.  "If you could get one of the lads to clear the dishes and bring the desserts, I would appreciate it."

Turning back to the room, Winnie tops up the glasses before she clears the remains of the main course onto the side table.  "As the weather is turning cold," she tells her guests, "The chef has prepared an apple pie, complete with a hot sauce made from eggs and cream, flavoured with some of the spices that you supplied."

A few mintes later the pie, accompanied by a large jug of custard, appears and generous portions are served up.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:42, Wed 26 Dec 2018.