Fuzzy: The Dragons Den (Tusk)   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 2353 posts
Sun 19 Aug 2018
at 07:46
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den (Tusk)
A painted sign, showing three green dragons and one white dragon, marks this out as an Inn.  Inside there is one large common room with a stage at one end.  Tables and chairs are scattered around the area, while there are a number of private booths at the opposite end to the stage.  Waiting staff are served from a small bar and servery, and they provide table service for the patrons.

For a few coppers you can get a mug of a local ale or hard cider, or a smaller cup of mead or local wine. A cup of herbal tea (onion or mint) is even cheaper.   There is always a selection of dinners available -  although most people just take the House Stew -  it is always ready to serve and you get a choice of Vegetable, Meat (often game) or Fish (often Eel)  - all served with a freshly cooked flatbread.

There are beds available in the  bunk room for an overnight stay - or you can take a private room, although you will be charged quite a bit extra for that.




This is a Fuzzy Thread that PCs and player-run NPCs can use when you want to.   It is located in Tusk -  but just about everyone needs to come to Tusk occasionally, so I am not going to object if distant NPCs turn up for a short while.  You can meet other PCs here, discuss plans, have assignations or just catch up with your entourage.  In other words - a place for non-combat Role Play.

The listed food and drink is covered by your standard expenses, as is a bunk bed - so you don’t need to account for payment.   If, however, you decide the character wants something fancy or posh -  It can probably be sourced -  BUT  you need to find the money to pay for it :}

For those of you whose characters have a performance skill, please feel free to take the stage and put on a small performance.  I am fairly sure you will spot a few musicians and a performance poet having a go before long.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:16, Sun 08 Nov 2020.

_ Wyn Roth
 NPC, 11 posts
Sun 19 Aug 2018
at 08:05
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Wyn steps outside onto the street and glances left and right.  Then, with a  wide grin, he twiddles his fingers until a bugle appears in his hands, and he blows a loud fanfare to attract everyone's attention.

"Ladieeeez and gentlemen, the Dragon's Den is now open for business!" He announces in a loud stage voice, before returning back inside the inn - twiddling his fingers as he goes.  By the time he gets to the stage, the bugle has turned into a flute and he launches into a series of folk tunes to help pass the time.
~ Berta Roth
 NPC p, 4 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Sun 19 Aug 2018
at 12:19
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
"I'd swear that flute is enchanted and half the time it's magic that drags the customers in," Berta smiles at Gedd and Winnie as she watches Wyn upon the stage.

"And the other half of the time it's because he's so damned good on it !" this last with a grin at the pair as she repeats a private joke they've heard often enough before.

This day finds the once-warrior-woman behind the bar, her red tresses tied back but still barely under control, drawing drinks for any patrons who belly up to the counter or loading the trays for Winnie and the other servers, leaving Gedd the duty of keeping an eye upon the crowd and making sure they behave themselves.
~ Gedd
 NPC p, 6 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Sun 19 Aug 2018
at 13:00
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Gedd grinned back at Berta.

"Just don't let Wyn hear you say that, even if it is true. He is big-headed enough as it is!" he chuckled.

"Say, who did he find to paint the dragons on the sign out front? They've done a really good job on that."
~ Pete the Poacher
 NPC p, 5 posts
Sun 19 Aug 2018
at 17:04
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Old Pete leaned back in his chair at his favourite table (it is amazing how quickly those old guys settle on a favourite spot, even in a brand new inn) and hummed along contentedly to the tunes Wyn was playing. Obviously he knew them well.
_ Wyn Roth
 NPC, 12 posts
Mon 20 Aug 2018
at 08:18
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
As more and more people come into the newly opened bar, Wyn changes from flute to performance poetry.  Turning  away from the room for a moment or two to compose himself, he turns back looking a little wilder and more unkempt, then launches into a poem ...

Three wheels on my wagon
And I'm still rolling along
The Goblinski are chasing me
Arrows fly
Right on by
But I’m heading for Henry’s land.

I'm shouting  - higgity, haggity, hoggety, high
Pioneers, they never say die
A mile up the road there's a hidden cave
And we can watch those Goblins go
barrelling by

Two wheels on my wagon
And I'm still rolling along
Them Goblinski are after me
Flaming spears
Burn my ears
But I’m heading for Henry’s land

I'm shouting - higgity, haggity hoggety, high
Pioneers, they never say die
Half a mile up the road there's a hidden cave
And we can watch those Goblins go
barrelling by

One wheel on my wagon
And I'm still rolling along
Them Goblinski after me
I'm all in flames
At the reins
But I’m heading for Henry’s land

I'm shouting - higgity, haggity hoggety, high
Pioneers, they never say die
Right around that turn there's a hidden cave
And we can watch those Goblins go
barrelling by

No wheels on my wagon
So I'm not rolling along
The cavalry rescued me
Things looked bad
I’m so glad
That I’m heading for Henry’s land

C'mon all you pioneers, shout along with me!
Higgity, haggity hoggety, high
Pioneers, they never say die
Higgity, haggity hoggety, high
Pioneers, they never say die
Higgity, haggity hoggety, high


before grining and allow his normal  urbane look to slide back into view.

"Anyone else want to give us a turn?" he asks.




With apologies to Burt Bacharach & Bob Hilliard
~ Folfast Balhon
 NPC p, 1 post
 Author, poet & playwright
 Guest at the Roth's Inn
Mon 20 Aug 2018
at 14:07
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Folfast descends the stairs, making his way blearily to the bar where he quickly downs his scandolously late breakfast before turning back to the stage.

"It is bad enough that you rouse me from my slumbes and draw me forth from my blankets with your angelic tones ... but to issue such a challenge as you know I'll not refuse ... !" the big man remonstrates with his landlord belly wobbling in time.

"Ho then !  I accept !"

Gesturing for his fiddle to be brought and with a broad wink at Berta behind the bar, Folfast takes the stage, nodding formally to Wyn as he plucks on the strings of his instrument ... seemingly randomly at first, but slowly a tune takes form from those simple notes.

Tapping his foot in time with the beat, Folfast nods once more in satisfaction as he begins to sing ...


Blood drops on flagstones and talons on dragons
A jester that festers and poison in flagons
Locked in a dungeon and tied up in chains
These are a few of my least favourite things
Hellhounds and nightmares and terrible frights
Moaning and groaning and bumps in the night
Ranting and growling and wild mutterings
These are a few of my least favourite things


And then he picks up the pace ...

Gorgons and baslisks and horrid medusas
Carrion crawlers and gibbering mouthers
Beholders and vampires and balrogs with wings
These are a few of my least favourite fiends
When the ghoul bites,
When the stirge stings
When I've just been cursed
I simply remember my least favourite fiends
Then I feel soooooo ... much worse !


"Thank you all !" Folfast breaks off, holding up his fiddle with a flourish as he sketches a bow.



With abject apologies to Rodgers and Hammerstein

This message was last edited by the player at 14:08, Mon 20 Aug 2018.

~ Berta Roth
 NPC p, 5 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Thu 23 Aug 2018
at 12:23
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Berta leans towards Gedd.

"I hope you have your bow handy. If either of them start in on that never-ending song about Bishop Brugar, you have my permission to put an arrow in them !" she tells her brother, keeping a straight face.
~ Gedd
 NPC p, 7 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Thu 23 Aug 2018
at 13:13
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Gedd frowns at Berta's comment and responds with mock-seriousness.

"Really? You're not a fan of one of the finest champions of justice that ever lived?"

But he can't keep up the pretense and bursts out laughing at the thought of what Berta would do if she ever came face to face with that lecherous old gods-botherer.
~ Berta Roth
 NPC p, 6 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Fri 24 Aug 2018
at 04:39
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Berta joins in with her brother's mirth, grinning broadly.

"Aye, if such a man as Bishop Brugar ever did live, then I'd be pleased to make his acquaintance and liberate a jug or two with him ... it's the verses those two reprobates come up with," she nods in the direction of Wyn and Folfast, "that'd get us shut down !"
Adoven
 Player, 262 posts
 Rogue / Bard
Fri 24 Aug 2018
at 11:18
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Adoven strums his lute to a spritely tune, saying "I fear my voice isn't as cultured as yours, my friend. Still, I offer this little ditty, called the Captain's Wife's Lament."


 "The ship sailed into harbor
 After fifteen months at sea
 The captain hit the tavern
 With his crew of fifty-three

 After drinking up their pay
 They staggered through the town
 But all the inns and public houses
 Turned the sailors down

 The captain said “Fear not, me lads
 You all can come with me
 I live just ‘round the corner
 And you all can stay for free”

But when the captain’s wife awoke
 Upon the break of day
 They say that you could hear her wailin’
Clear to Bot’ny Bay…

She said there’s
 Seamen all around the bed
 And seamen on the floor
 Seamen in the bathroom
 And behind the closet door

 There’s seamen in the fireplace
 And seamen in the hall
 The living room is carpeted
 With seamen, wall to wall

 There’s seamen in the entryway
 And seamen on the stair
 And worst of all, there’s even seamen
 In me underwear

 There’s some behind the larder
 And beneath the table, too
 I do believe your seamen
 Got into me Irish stew

 There’s seamen here in front of me
 And seamen in the rear
 My God—there’s even seamen
 Hanging from the chandelier

 There’s seamen on the windowsill
 And seamen in the yard
 The seamen even left a stain
 Upon the Saint Bernard

 Although I am a patient wife
‘Tis more than I can bear
 To wake up in the morning
 With your seamen in my hair

 I ne’er again do wish to see thee
 Darken up my door
 So clean up all your seamen and
 Come round my way no more
 So clean up all your seamen and
 Come round my way no more!"



Courtesy of Paul and Storm

This message was last edited by the player at 13:27, Sat 25 Aug 2018.

~ Gedd
 NPC p, 8 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Fri 24 Aug 2018
at 14:17
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Gedd listened to Adoven's song and was soon clapping in time to the beat. As the song finished he burst out laughing and applauded loudly.

Still grinning he turned back to Berta to ask, "What about sea shanties like that one? Are they OK or do you want me to shoot him too?"
_Winnie
 NPC, 6 posts
Fri 24 Aug 2018
at 14:24
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Winnie laughs lightly as Adoven works his way through the song, then nods across at Wyn and Folfast  "I suspect those two reprobates would approve."
~ Berta Roth
 NPC p, 7 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Sat 25 Aug 2018
at 05:14
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Despite her earlier remarks, Berta grins at Adoven's sea shanty, and her smile only broadens as she leans close to reply to her brother.

"Shoot him ?  Might be a kindness.  If Captain Bannar or his Aldori Guards hear of this, they'll likely gut him and string him up by his entrails !"
~ Darius
 NPC e, 1 post
 Scribe, Carouser
Tue 28 Aug 2018
at 22:17
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Darius' head swayed slightly in rhythm with Adoven's song as he walked towards Pete the Poacher's table, hard cider in hand. "Mind if I join ya," he asked as he pulled out a chair and took a set without waiting for an answer. "What's new Pete? Other than this here establishment of course," he added with a sly smile.
~ Pete the Poacher
 NPC p, 6 posts
Wed 29 Aug 2018
at 13:06
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Old Pete glances across at the newcomer for a moment before nodding.

"Whole town's new, far as I can tell, 'cept the fort on the hill. I've known Folfast for more years than he'd like to admit and known Wyn a couple of years too, but first time I've seen young Adoven perform. But it's the first time I heard any of those songs they sang. So, a good start to the night, I reckon.

"Outside of the town, I don't know much yet. Haven't had a chance to explore too far yet. I've been a bit busy helping 'em get this place set up. Now that it's up and running I reckon I might have a good look around outside of town, talk to folk about what sort of game is available in the area and start getting a feel for the place that way. I heard something about some kind of swamp down south with some interesting mushrooms that might be worth a visit, too.

"What about you, young fella?"
he asked Darius. "You got any plans of what you hope to do here?"
~ Darius
 NPC e, 2 posts
 Scribe, Carouser
Sat 1 Sep 2018
at 15:27
Fuzzy: The Dragon's Den
Darius shrugs as he takes a sip from his cider, "Not quite sure. I'm came out here for a change of scenery. I'm offering scribe services for those interested, but I can't expect that to bring in too much money. I'll guess we'll see."
~ Pete the Poacher
 NPC p, 7 posts
Sat 1 Sep 2018
at 16:08
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Old Pete looks at Darius for a moment then taps his chin thoughtfully.

"What about maps? If you can use pen and ink you can probably make a fair copy of a map and add in extra bits as folk explore and report what they find. I hear Henry LeMaistre has a decent overall map of Midmarch and he will let folk study it when they need to. Might be a market for copies of that, especially if you can add more details as they become known.  Actually, it's funny how many of those adventurous explorer types find there way into an inn like this one when they stagger back into town. Thirsty work, obviously," he adds with a grin.

"You could even write down the tales that folk tell you about the places they've seen. Or the songs that get sung here of a night time. You might have to read them out loud for those of us as can't read for ourselves, of course. The more I think on it, the more I can see uses for what you can do. Talk to merchants like V&A - that's Adoven up there who just finished singing - and Henry LeMaistre's people about using your services as a scribe or bookkeeper or mapmaker. I think you will find plenty of work here," he concludes.

This message was last updated by the GM at 18:52, Sat 01 Sept 2018.

~ Darius
 NPC e, 3 posts
 Scribe, Carouser
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 01:48
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Darius rubs his chin, pondering for a moment. "Maps? Hmm, I hadn't thought of that, but it's an intriguing idea. And I'm sure something that would prove useful out here.

Serving as a scribe, especially for official documents such as Henry LeMaistre and the various merchants around here might need, was my original thought and something I will pursue. But I am now quite interested in how I might fare with mapmaking. Thank you for the idea."

~ Folfast Balhon
 NPC p, 2 posts
 Author, poet & playwright
 Guest at the Roth's Inn
Sun 23 Sep 2018
at 06:31
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
On his way to the bar for a sip of second breakfast, Folfast weighs in on the discussion in passing.

"The tales and stories are welcome fodder from which we happy few might spin song and verse to enthrall and inspire," he booms.  "From such are legends made !"

"Indeed, someone," his tone suffice to inform that it should be anyone other than himself, who is at least able to scratch out words without offending the gods of grammar and spelling, "should commit the history of this fledgling outpost to parchment that it be passed down for posterity."

"Milady !" having spoken his piece, Folfast turns away, raising a hand in plaintive entreaty towards Berta at the bar, "I am in dire need of refreshment !  A glass, quickly, lest I perish !"
~ Berta Roth
 NPC p, 9 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Sun 30 Sep 2018
at 12:22
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"I've told you not to call me that," Berta hisses crossly at Folfast as she pours him a glass, banging down on the counter, glaring at the old sot all the while.
~ Darius
 NPC e, 4 posts
 Scribe, Carouser
Sun 30 Sep 2018
at 18:17
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Darius chuckled at Berta's response as he turned to Folfast, "well, I'm no bard such as yourself, but I am quite capable of putting words down on parchment. Perhaps we could work together to pen a gripping tale of the story of Midmarch?"
DM
 GM, 2488 posts
Mon 24 Dec 2018
at 15:25
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
New day.

With the summer over and autumn drawing to a close, it would soon be too cold to travel far.  With winter would come the snow, storms, ice and fog for which the region was famed.  Soon it would be time for warm fires, mulled wines and warm, sticky puddings.

But now the harvest was in, and the new city's suppliers for the winter secured, it was time for a celebration.  New ales are available at the bar, and warming stews and puddings are already starting to show on the menu.

Up on the small stage an itinerant performer recites a simple folk poem, that describes a country boy's education.

Boy and Uncle marching proud,
Calling critters names aloud,
Travelling o'er ground unploughed
Through early morning's misty shroud.
Another trip, already vowed!

Look there! Quickly! See?
See the squirrel climb the tree?
He hides his nuts from you and me.

A Cabbage White, that butterfly,
Dipping low, then flapping high.
He checks for food, that he might spy.

Watch the rabbit in his  hole,
Skirting round the tree trunk's bole,
Looking deep within your soul?

Feathered grouse, hid underfoot
Wingtip feathers black like soot.
Eggs in nest, so nicely put.

Foxgloves standing in the dells
With flowery spikes of purple bells
Deadly poison, and death foretells.

Staghorn beetle's spiky nose,
Grubbing round the dead thorn rose.
Then taking up a fighting pose

Vixen in her covered den!
Blood and feathers  from a hen,
'Twas taken from the farmers pen.

Rufus Robin on the twig,
Jumping down to earth to dig.
He's finding worms, both fat and big

Watch the eagle way up there
Smaller creatures all beware,
And head home swiftly, for your lair

Boy and Uncle marching proud,
Calling critters names aloud,
Travelling o'er ground unploughed
Through early morning's misty shroud.
Another trip already vowed!

Zach Malford
 NPC e, 1 post
 Business Manager of
 Winters Wares and Spices
Tue 25 Dec 2018
at 21:41
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Zach Malford had ordered a private room for dinner this evening. He had a special guest. He called upon the Dragons Den because it was becoming on of the favorites here in Tusk Town. And he needed to make a favorable impression.

"Be sure to serve the wine as soon as we are seated. Followed by the appetizers." Zach instructed the staff. "I'll let you know when to bring in the main dish. And keep the wine cups full at all times."

Zach Malford was in his element. He wore a black and silver ensemble that kept everything neat and simple. Yet there was an air of confidence in the man. That was one of the reasons he held the position of business manager. As a business manager, he was responsible for making sure that the business venture was profitable. And there were many ways to that end, some of them were less than legal. He just had to make sure that they weren't illegal; for that would strain his relationship with the owner. Zach had to find the grey areas; that was where the greatest profits lie.

Several minutes later, a servant escorted the special guest into the private room. "Good evening Sir Winters. I trust that your travels went well. Please enjoy the evening while I summarize the reports for your business venture."

"Wine?"
Zach gave a nod to the servant who began pouring the wine. Appetizers soon followed.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:45, Tue 25 Dec 2018.

_Winnie
 NPC, 7 posts
Tue 25 Dec 2018
at 21:53
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Winnie smiles sweetly as she listens to Zach's instructions, and then leaves to make sure that the private room is all properly and neatly arranged with fresh linens and the crockery and cutlery arranged to perfection.

A bottle of wine sits prominently on a side table, and she starts to pour as soon as directed, before leaving for a moment or two and returning with a tray full of small appetizers.

There is a selection of small savoury pastries, a creamy fish dressing on small circular slices of toast, sticks of vegetables and various dips to help get the meal started.  Then she stands, almost in a military 'at ease' position, by the door waiting for the  diners to finish the course so that she can clear the table and bring the main course.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:00, Tue 25 Dec 2018.

Kendrick Winters
 player, 130 posts
 House Winters
Tue 25 Dec 2018
at 22:09
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Kendrick Winters stomped the hard ground as he walked the streets of Tusk Town. The ground was getting colder, harder. The wind held a chill of what was to come. Winter was coming.Iomedae

He entered the Dragons Den and quickly closed the door behind him. He opened his cloak and shook the chill from his outer garment. The warmth of the room cheered his demeanor. Kendrick asked a passing serving girl, "I'm here to see Master Malford. I understand that he has a private room?" The girl pointed to a room deeper in the Dragons Den before she rushed to fulfill a drink order.

Kendrick found the room and Zack Malford. Zack greeted him and offered him a cup of wine. "Thank you. Indeed our mission into the Narlemarch posed some challenges, but we did manage the best outcome possible... given the circumstances."

The two men continued in their chat while sampling the appetizers and the wine. Both wore a symbol of the sun and sword, a holy symbol of Iomedae. One of of dark wood and the other of silver. They were of similar height but Kendrick had the build of a seasoned warrior and Zach was more accustomed to the quill than that of a sword. "Zach. Tell me how things are going with the business?"

Zach turned to Winnie and motioned for the main course to be served.
_Winnie
 NPC, 8 posts
Tue 25 Dec 2018
at 22:19
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Wiine acknowledges the instruction, and pokes her head out of the door, before she starts to clear the remains of the first course.  Shortly afterwards a waiter appears with a steaming roasted haunch of elk, acompanied by a selection of vegetable.

Taking a large knife, Winnie sharpens it against a steel, and carves the joint while the waiter removes the used dishes.  Once the meat is carved, she serves portion to each of the guests, and then adds vegetables from the selection on the table.  After checking whether they want gravy, she tops up wine glasses and returns to her station,  where she waits demurely.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:19, Tue 25 Dec 2018.

~ Darius
 NPC e, 5 posts
 Scribe, Carouser
Tue 25 Dec 2018
at 22:25
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Darius sat at his usual table, nursing an ale as a now finished bowl of stew sat on the edge of the table. A rudimentary map was laid out in front of him, his first foray into his potential new business; one that he felt could also benefit his benefactor.

It didn't pass his notice that Zach made his way to a private room, and shortly thereafter was followed by Sir Winters. He wondered to himself what that could be about.
Zach Malford
 NPC e, 2 posts
 Business Manager of
 Winters Wares and Spices
Tue 25 Dec 2018
at 22:51
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Zach reported on the business, "I think we need to rename the business to 'Winters Wares and Spices'. This will give our customers a better idea of what makes us different from other businesses. And of course, there will always be a market for spices. As places like the Dragons Den opens, the spice must follow... otherwise, it's simply camp food."

He stopped speaking as the staff brought in the roasted elk. "This dish was prepared with some of the spices that I gave the cook." The two men ate. Their silence was often interrupted with more drinking and complements.

"And I think that we have an opportunity to expand." The last comment brought Kendrick to set down the food. He reached for the wine. "Expand? How so?"

"Ringbridge."
Kendrick Winters
 player, 131 posts
 House Winters
Wed 26 Dec 2018
at 02:41
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Ringbridge. Kendrick repeated the town's name silently while Zach continued speaking...

"Kendrick, Kendrick. Did you hear what I said?" Zach paused while waiting for a reaction from Kendrick.

Kendrick finally blinked, "Yes, yes. Of course. I'm fine with the new business name. You convinced me last month that my best decision was to hire you as the business manager. I appreciate these reports." His hand slowly reached for a dagger at his belt. "As for Ringbridge, that make sense too."

He pulled out the sheathed dagger. "Here. Take this." The pommel of the dagger was wrapped in a leather strip. Kendrick pulled the dagger from the sheath, "It's a silver dagger. Last time I was in Ringbridge I was called upon to help track and kill a man inflicted with lycanthrope. We were successful." He thrust the dagger into the sheath, "I worry that there may be more. Lt Lincoln said that he would be alert for any similar sightings. You should check in with him and with Gandred at the Torag's House while you're there."

Kendrick pushed his plate forward. "What's for dessert?"

"More WINE!" Zach almost shouted with a hint of panic.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:59, Wed 26 Dec 2018.

~ Berta Roth
 NPC p, 10 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Wed 26 Dec 2018
at 06:15
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
This evening luck was with Berta and sees her dressed in her leathers and keeping a wary eye over the gathering crowd, while Gedd lends a hand behind the bar, though with the place filling up, she's had to reluctantly surrender her seat for the use of paying customers,and can only look on as the ale flows their way not hers.  Not while 'on duty'.

Zach's peremptory manner of addressing the servants brings a narrowing of her eyes and a sympathetic glance at Winnie, but does not suffice to stir her to teach the man to speak more politely ... or if it does, then she sets that urge aside, though it's certain it's not forgotten, much less forgiven.

The arrival of Kendrick for the meeting is noted ... and his courtesy gets a nod of approval, though she keeps her eye on the door, and when the urgent call comes for more wine, she pushes herself to her feet and collects tray and bottle from the bar to delivery it personally to Winnie, her lip twitching in a smile.

"Everything well here ?" she asks her sister-in-law.
_Winnie
 NPC, 9 posts
Wed 26 Dec 2018
at 07:55
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Winnie nods and smiles as Berta delivers the wine, assuring her sister-in-law that all is fine within.  "If you could get one of the lads to clear the dishes and bring the desserts, I would appreciate it."

Turning back to the room, Winnie tops up the glasses before she clears the remains of the main course onto the side table.  "As the weather is turning cold," she tells her guests, "The chef has prepared an apple pie, complete with a hot sauce made from eggs and cream, flavoured with some of the spices that you supplied."

A few mintes later the pie, accompanied by a large jug of custard, appears and generous portions are served up.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:42, Wed 26 Dec 2018.

Zach Malford
 NPC e, 3 posts
 Business Manager of
 Winters Wares and Spices
Wed 26 Dec 2018
at 12:56
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Zach Malford has been diligent in planning tonight's meal for Sir Winters. Well everything except for dessert. He was never known for having a sweet tooth. Damn those spies. What good are they if they can't get to the truth of the matter! He sat back, relieved when Minnie described the dessert that was already prepared. He smiled and mouthed, THANK YOU, when she rescued him. Zach made a mental note to leave a generous tip.
Kendrick Winters
 player, 132 posts
 House Winters
Wed 26 Dec 2018
at 13:07
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"One more thing." Kendrick said after his set his wine glass down. "Prepare my room in both locations. I may drop by from time to time. I'm planning on visiting the Knight Commander."

"Certainly. However this may involve expanding our facilities beyond the simple storefront that we have right now..." Zach explained as he tested Sir Winters intentions.

"That's understandable." He replied quickly his focus on Winnie and the two plates of creamy custard and pie.

Zach smiled. Clearly the outcome this evening went better than planned.
_Winnie
 NPC, 10 posts
Wed 26 Dec 2018
at 22:46
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Once the dessert is finished and cleared away, Winnie takes a small decanter from a shelf, along with a couple of glasses.  Approaching the table she sets a glass infront of each man and pours a generous measure from the decanter into each glass.  "A small digestif, on the house, gentlemen.  Not the best of brandies, I am afraid, but among the best that we can get this far north."  With a nod she returns the decanter to the shelf, and leaves the two to their measures of the rather fiery spirt.
DM
 GM, 2492 posts
Wed 26 Dec 2018
at 22:53
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
The barman calls Wyn across, and points to a man dressed in leathers.  Smiling the proprietor, walks across to the countryman and they chat for a short while, before the newcomer hands something over to Wyn.

After examining it, he nods to the fellow and walks him across to the bar.  A few moments later the countryman has a pitcher of ale in his hand, and heads towards a table full of men dressed in basic but simple clothing.  Then a few moments later, a waiter delivers half-a-dozen more pitchers to the table.
~ Berta Roth
 NPC p, 11 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Thu 27 Dec 2018
at 04:17
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Berta's forehead furrows once more as she watches her elder brother.  Certainly there is nothing immediately suspicious about Wyn's conversation with the stranger and the exchange is not exactly furtive, but from long experience he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Turning away, Berta resolves to get to the bottom of the matter.  She'll ask Winnie later ... but only after she begs her sister-in-law for a helping of the apple pie.
~ Darius
 NPC e, 6 posts
 Scribe, Carouser
Thu 27 Dec 2018
at 04:32
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Darius glances up for a moment to survey the crowd before looking back down at his map.
~ Pete the Poacher
 NPC p, 8 posts
Thu 27 Dec 2018
at 06:49
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Old Pete collects a couple of mugs of ale from the bar and ambles over to the table where Darius sits with his map. He sets both mugs down on the table, sits himself down in a chair and pushes one mug across to Darius.

"How are ye going, lad? The map is looking good. Ye've got the shape of Tusk Town right, and the lake and river too. I've not been further afield yet myself. Have ye heard anything interesting yet from others who've travelled a bit further out?" he asked.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:09, Fri 28 Dec 2018.

_ Wyn Roth
 NPC, 13 posts
Thu 27 Dec 2018
at 08:14
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Wyn grins happily and slaps winnie's booitom as she passes by with the ramains of the apple pie.
_Winnie
 NPC, 11 posts
Thu 27 Dec 2018
at 08:15
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Stop it." Winnie replies, smiling across at her husband.  "We're in public ..."
~ Darius
 NPC e, 7 posts
 Scribe, Carouser
Fri 28 Dec 2018
at 04:55
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Darius nods in thanks to Old Pete as he takes a sip from new mug. He takes a look down at the map and shrugs, "it's looking okay I guess, but it's going to take me some time before I've really got the skills down to drawn things accurately. I'm still a novice at this," he says as someone who is not used to be a novice at things.
DM
 GM, 2493 posts
Fri 28 Dec 2018
at 07:11
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
The poet from earlier has finished his set, and wanders through the room, holding his cap out, calling ...

Winter is coming. The goose is getting fat.
Please put a penny in the poet’s hat.
If you haven't got a penny, then a ha' penny will do.
If you haven't got a ha' penny, may the Gods bless you!


It is well-known that the Dragon's Den allows performers to 'Busk' in the bar, in the hope of making a few coins from their skills.  Just so long as Wyn thinks they are good enough, of course.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:25, Fri 28 Dec 2018.

~ Pete the Poacher
 NPC p, 9 posts
Fri 28 Dec 2018
at 14:04
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Old Pete smiles kindly at Darius.

"Don't ye worry, lad, I've seen plenty worse maps traded for gold just because they showed where some long lost treasure was supposedly buried, or the entrance to an old, forgotten gold mine, or some such thing. You just need the right story to go with your map. Some of the folk here in town used to be brigands in this area when the fort here was controlled by their leader, the Stag Lord, so some of them are likely to have a tale to tell about things that happened around here in his time or legends about things before that. The only thing I've seen that might be of any interest was the tracks of a giant stag beetle in the woods west of here. They are of no value in themselves but sometimes they become a real threat to logging communities and woodsmen because they are attracted by rotting wood. I've known of a bounty being offered elsewhere to get rid of them when they become a nuisance," he tells Darius.

When the poet passes their table he tosses a silver penny into the man's cap.

"Thank ye, young fella. That reminded me of many a walk with me ol' dad when I was just a youngster. I don't suppose ye know any tales of things that happened around here in the past, do ye?" he asks the poet.
~ Darius
 NPC e, 8 posts
 Scribe, Carouser
Mon 31 Dec 2018
at 05:33
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Giant stag beetles? Those don't sound fun, or sanitary," Darius mused. "I suppose it's a good start, but I'm hoping that when the expeditions return I can get some more useful information on here. A maps not worth a whole lot if it doesn't provide accurate information after all."

When the poet comes by, Darius also tosses a coin into his cap. "Yes, tales of this area would be interesting indeed," Darius added.
DM
 GM, 2496 posts
Mon 31 Dec 2018
at 09:15
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
The poet looks, significantly, at the ales in front of both Darius and Pete.  "Thank 'ee gentlemen."
~ Pete the Poacher
 NPC p, 10 posts
Tue 1 Jan 2019
at 16:18
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Pete's eyes follow the poet's gaze to the mugs of ale and he just grunts softly to himself before raising his arm to attract one of the serving lasses to order a mug of ale for the poet too.

"Sit a while with us and tell us what ye know, young fella," he advises the poet.
Kendrick Winters
 player, 134 posts
 House Winters
Sat 5 Jan 2019
at 16:41
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Kendrick and Zach finished their dinners. The two men sat and enjoyed their drink, savoring each sip. Finally Zach turned to Kendrick, "Please excuse me. I still have to attend to business matters this evening." He picked up the silver dagger as he stood. "G'night Sir Winters."




Kendrick savored the drink. He sat in the private room until servants arrived to clear the table. The young knight stood drink in hand, "Excuse me, I was just leaving. Thank you." He stepped into the main room and found an empty table.
DM
 GM, 2501 posts
Sat 5 Jan 2019
at 17:16
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"I'll be back in  just a moment ...." the Poet grins, then continues his round of the other customers collecting what few coins that he can.  Returning to Pete and Darius's table, he takes a chair and then reaches appreciatively for the ale that was ordered for him.

"Busy in here tonight.  Gearing up for Harvestfest, I'll be bound."

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:16, Sat 05 Jan 2019.

~ Berta Roth
 NPC p, 12 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Sun 6 Jan 2019
at 05:57
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Watching the crowd, Berta notes the reappearance of Kendrick, pleased that the young knight chooses to stay on once his business is done, the moreso as from what she's seen of him so far he's not likely to be the cause of any trouble in her inn.

The warrior-woman stares down the erstwhile Poet as he waves his cap in her direction ... but just for the form of it, calling him back with a laconic grin as she flips a silver coin his way and graces him with an approving nod.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:58, Sun 06 Jan 2019.

Domitius
 player, 66 posts
 Half Elf Fighter/Rogue
 AC:18 HP:18
Sun 6 Jan 2019
at 06:37
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
It had been a while since the last time Domitius had let his hair down and from all accounts the Dragon's Den seemed to be the place to be in town.  Dressed in his second finest outfit he headed in to the bar.

As he approached he paused outside and cast an eye over the new building then with a nod of approval he headed in.  He stopped just inside the entrance to allow his eyes to adjust and to scope out the room.  Spotting an empty seat near Sir Kendrick he made his way through the crowd and said "Good evening Sir Kendrick, may I join you?
Kendrick Winters
 player, 135 posts
 House Winters
Sun 6 Jan 2019
at 07:20
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Kendrick smiled as he saw Domitius approach his table. "Please do. What are you drinking tonight?" The young man held a glass in his hand. The liquid inside was a deep brown. He brought the drink to his lips and sipped slowly.
~ Pete the Poacher
 NPC p, 11 posts
Sun 6 Jan 2019
at 07:59
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Old Pete shifted his chair a bit to make room for the poet to take a seat at the table with him and Darius.

"This is my first year here, so I've not seen what passes for Harvestfest here yet. Something to look forward to though, right enough. So, what's your name, lad? I'm Pete and this here is Darius. Tell us a bit about yourself and how ye come to be here in Tusk Town."
Domitius
 player, 67 posts
 Half Elf Fighter/Rogue
 AC:18 HP:18
Sun 6 Jan 2019
at 10:06
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Taking a seat at Kendrick's table with view of the front door, he gave a nod of thanks as he did so and Domitius replied "Oldlaw whiskey, assuming they have some."
~ Berta Roth
 NPC p, 13 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Fri 11 Jan 2019
at 06:19
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
With nobody as yet needing to be picked up, sat down or forcibly expelled from their establishement, Berta lends half an ear to the conversations at the tables, snorting with good humour at what she hears.
Cass Mordane
 Player, 297 posts
 Bard, Sword Scion
 Sometime Diplomat
Sat 19 Jan 2019
at 03:20
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den

Cass Mordane would likely never admit it to another living soul, but he might be getting spoiled. He couldn't remember the last time he had to sleep under an onion cart, or curl up next to some drover's dogs to keep warm.

Cass had eventually moved up to a blanket and a place on the floor of some common room of a hole in the wall tavern or inn on the outskirts of Restov thanks to earning a few coins busking in the streets.

As Cass became a better entertainer, the flow of coins increased and where to sleep was less of a concern. Getting sleep was another matter. Cass had begun to spent every spare coin on the Aldori dueling arts, and that meant many long nights of exercise, practice, and sparring.

Then came the Charter and Cass hitched his star to Midmarch and the keen plans of Henry LeMaistre. Henry kept his teams' patrol times short, especially with the approach of inclement weather. And he was kind enough to provide lodging for the members of the Tusk Town City Council.

So when the cold wind drove Cass off the streets and into the warm, cozy surroundings of The Dragons Den, it had been awhile since he had felt so closed in upon. But that was always the way of the coming winter, wasn't it?

Cass stopped blowing on his hands for warmth and looked around the room to see who was present. Then he shook off his chill and stepped to the bar.

"A warm cider please. If it is hot enough to scald a wyvern's tail, I won't complain. I will just draw the heat into my bones. If it is hard enough to stagger a dwarven wrestler, then I won't mind at all. I will just count it as medicinal."

Cass tried to hide the rumbling of his stomach as well. "And if it is not too much trouble, a bit of that dark bread that the locals call Nick. And a bowl of your house stew. If it has game in it, that would be a delight. I know the local cuisine is still in progress, but if I have to eat another eel, I will likely have spotted kittens about the issue."
DM
 GM, 2541 posts
Sun 20 Jan 2019
at 07:16
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Winnie is busy, on the other side of the room, so a different waitress comes to take the order.  When she returns, she wipes the table quickly and slides the clay tankard onto it.  "Misteess Winnie's own recipe …" she says indicating the mulled cider.

Not only is the cider warmed, it has been infused with herbs and spices that give it that reconisable 'winter' flavour.
_Wyn Roth
 NPC, 14 posts
Tue 5 Feb 2019
at 14:39
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Wyn saunters out from behind the bar, whistling jauntily to himself, and pins a notice on the notice board.
~ Gedd
 NPC p, 13 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Tue 5 Feb 2019
at 15:31
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
After a suitable interval (at least 30 seconds) Gedd wanders over to the notice board and glances nonchalantly at the notice Wyn has pinned up.
DM
 GM, 2571 posts
Tue 5 Feb 2019
at 15:44
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
The notice reads .....
~ Berta Roth
 NPC p, 18 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Wed 6 Feb 2019
at 04:13
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Mother preserve us," Berta frowns as she watches her older brother pin up the notice.  It's the whistling she objects to, mostly.

Exchanging a glace with her younger sibling, the warrior-woman grimaces ... but resists the urge to race over to the board, expecting that the contents will reach her ears sooner or later.

Probably sooner ...
~ Gedd
 NPC p, 14 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Wed 6 Feb 2019
at 13:53
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Gedd catches Berta's glance and slowly walks over to join her.

"I always knew he thinks it is past time you found yourself a husband, but I never thought he'd go that far," he mutters to her, shaking his head in disbelief.
~ Berta Roth
 NPC p, 19 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Thu 7 Feb 2019
at 05:18
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Not hungry ..." her reply dies on her lips as Berta races over to the board, hand straying to the hilt of one of the blades that hangs at her hip, face set in a stone-like mask as she stares at the notice ...
DM
 GM, 2572 posts
Thu 7 Feb 2019
at 08:09
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
The notice reads .....

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:33, Thu 07 Feb 2019.

~ Berta Roth
 NPC p, 20 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Fri 8 Feb 2019
at 05:56
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Skilled jeweller !"  Bertha reads the notice aloud, the relief in her voice evident ... as is the threat in the narrowed gaze as she turns back to search the crowd for Gedd, which widens to take in anyone else who looks as if they're enjoying the jest at her expense.

"Skilled jeweller !" the warrior-woman mutters again as she takes her hand off the hilt of her sword and crosses the common room to return to her favoured spot, younger brother or no.

"Maybe if he was very rich ... and as nice to look at as all the fancy baubles ..."

A moment's reflection as she casts her eyes over the room once more, then:

"Wonder what Wyn's really up to ?"
~ Gedd
 NPC p, 16 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Fri 8 Feb 2019
at 15:30
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"A nose ring! No, surely not. That's only an orcish custom, isn't it?"

Gedd's voice drifts across the room from the table where he now sits with a couple of his friends.
~ Liam Rivers
 NPC e, 3 posts
 Sergeant at Arms
Tue 19 Feb 2019
at 21:40
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Liam had been sitting at a quiet table nursing a drink. The man was in leathers and a longsword was sheathed at his waist. He was content to watch people pass by on their business. But with several people moving to read the notice that was put up, curiosity got the better of him. He had to read the notice himself.
DM
 GM, 2609 posts
 Mad, bad and slightly sad
Tue 19 Feb 2019
at 22:57
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
One of the waitresses tops up Liam's drink.
~ Liam Rivers
 NPC e, 4 posts
 Sergeant at Arms
Tue 19 Feb 2019
at 22:59
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
With the topped off drink in hand, Liam walked over to the notice. He skimmed the text and sipped his drink.
DM
 GM, 2610 posts
 Mad, bad and slightly sad
Tue 19 Feb 2019
at 23:03
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
The notice reads .....
~Magatha Primrose
 NPC e, 1 post
Mon 25 Feb 2019
at 22:48
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den


Magatha Primrose marched into the Dragon's Den. Not marching like someone who was in a hurry. No, marching in slow, measured steps with her head held high and her back straight as an arrow.

It was almost a strut, Magatha's walk. A prance, reminiscent of trained ponies. It was the formal march of the military on parade, polish, shine, and all.

And it would have been as impressive as intended, if she was not just a touch over three feet tall. Still, she looked proud as a peacock, this gnome woman. And just as colorful with her magenta hair and her chartreuse eyes.

Her top coat was crisp and without a wrinkle. It was dark blue with red and gold accents and a whole lot of shiny buttons. The coat was cut away from the legs like those of a cavalry officer and held in place by a tight leather belt. Her jack boots reached up to her knees.

On top of her head, the gnome wore a hat that reminded one of a sleek ship. It was accented by a large red feather or plume. The red contrasted nicely with her hair. She had a cutlass sheathed on each hip.

"Here I am!" Magatha announced with a flourish of her hands. "Straight off the boat!"

She cast her eyes around at everyone, then over to the bar. "A tall whiskey, please. Something spicy, if you have it."
~ Gedd
 NPC p, 18 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Tue 26 Feb 2019
at 12:20
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
The halforc standing by the bar gave the little newcomer a long, appraising look before finally nodding toward the other end of the common room.

"The stage is over there," he told her firmly. "What's your act? Singing? Dancing? Acrobatics? Juggling? Go on, tell me you're a sword-swallower!"
~Magatha Primrose
 NPC e, 2 posts
Thu 28 Feb 2019
at 20:52
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
The gnomish woman scrunched up her face at Gedd's remarks, then held up her finger in a 'just you wait' gesture.

Next, she marched herself directly to the aforementioned stage. Magatha then gave Gedd a nod and an exaggerated wink. "I can treat you to a bedazzling display of a swordsmanship!"

So saying, she drew out both of her blades and began to move in a swift and deadly form of dance covering the entirety of the stage.

Recognizing Aldori forms, Cass Mordane moved forward to the edge of his seat, removed a wind instrument from his pack, and began to play The Hills Low and Far in accompaniment to the gnome woman's moves. The song flowed with each move as if they had been originally orchestrated together.
~ Gedd
 NPC p, 19 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Thu 28 Feb 2019
at 23:11
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Gedd grinned as the little lady marched onto the stage but he watched with real appreciation and applauded loudly when she finished. He stepped behind the bar and poured the drink she had ordered, then took it up to the stage to her while she was still taking her bows.

He handed the glass to her with a smile then went back to his place by the bar.
Adoven
 Player, 326 posts
 Rogue / Bard
Fri 1 Mar 2019
at 16:39
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Adoven applauds. "very nice. I need to strengthen such skills myself. Might you be available for hire?"
~ Berta Roth
 NPC p, 23 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Sat 2 Mar 2019
at 06:26
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
The Inn's bouncer and part-owner smiles at the gnome woman's entrance ... not mocking her size (her adopted brother Wilric is probably no taller and certainly was once a force to be reckoned with), but appreciative that there's another sharing her red tresses, though in truth Magatha's locks are far less unruly than her own.

So too the woman seems to know what she's doing with her blades, though Berta has little time for the fashion of the Aldori, finding the dance-like moves too flashy and wasteful - while she too wields two swords, her own preference is to cut straight to the heart of the matter, not to bedazzle ones opponent.  Her size would certainly be to her advantage, though - one rarely finds one so small yet brandishing such sharp blades.

Moreover, she likes Magatha's confidence and bold dress, and no less her choice of drink, adding her own applause to the rest !
Marceline
 player, 65 posts
 Half-Elf Inquisitor
Sat 2 Mar 2019
at 17:47
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
A little tired from the journey back from the Kamelands but excited to see what her friends had done with their tavern, Marceline enters the Dragons Den and immediately makes her way over to Berta, the first familiar face she spies in the tavern.

"Berta! Good to see you again."
~Magatha Primrose
 NPC e, 3 posts
Sun 3 Mar 2019
at 16:52
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Much thanks." Magatha said to Gedd as he handed her the glass of whiskey.

"I am sure something can be arranged." Magatha said to Adoven with a wink and a sly smile.

But it was to Berta Roth that Magatha raised her glass in salute. She had seen those assessing eyes, and approved.

"Oh. It tastes just like smoke and fire." Magatha rasped almost silently as she closed her eyes in pleasure, leaning her head back and enjoying the inner touching of the liquid as it trailed down.
El
 player, 110 posts
Sun 3 Mar 2019
at 23:26
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
>>From the Water

El came into the Dragons Den with much the same attitude as she'd had outside of it. All smiles and less worn for wear. In a way, she had felt she had something to prove to herself and now that she had, she felt more inclined to enjoy it.

"Oh, this certainly brings back memories." She said to herself, quite brightly, and seemed to stand a bit taller. "I'll fetch the drinks, you lads find us a table. Any special requests?" She asked, before walking off to fetch the order at the bar. She'd no mind to bother a tavern wench unless the need arose.
Andalon de Lebeda
 Player, 724 posts
 Cleric of Abadar
Mon 4 Mar 2019
at 13:10
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Andalon entered close behind El and looked around for a table with chairs for six.

"A mug of ale would be most welcome, thank you El," he replied.

Then he lead the way across the common room to an empty table and took a seat. He was dressed in travel-stained studded leather armour rather than the heavier armour or clerical robes he might normally be expected to be seen in around town.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:12, Mon 04 Mar 2019.

Adoven
 Player, 334 posts
 Rogue / Bard
Tue 5 Mar 2019
at 01:00
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Moved to the  El & Andalon table thread -  which just helps to separate out conversations and keep the Dragons Den threads readable.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:47, Tue 05 Mar 2019.

_Winnie
 NPC, 16 posts
 Smiling Half-Elf
Tue 5 Mar 2019
at 13:10
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Hey!  Marcy!  How are you doing?   Grab a table and I'll fetch some drinks over."  Winnie says as she sees her travelling companion enter the bar.  "Maybe Berta will join us later ..." she says throwing a glance at her sister-in-law, who seems taken by the Gnome sword-dancer.

With that she heads off to the bar to let them know they need to get on without her for a while.

>>> To Marceline's table
~ Findlas
 NPC e, 1 post
 World Weary
 Wary Gnome
Tue 5 Mar 2019
at 16:33
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Dust covered a little gnome as he entered the dragon's den and peered around. He was a study in contrast to the gnome who'd just stepped in a little while ago. Bespectacled, he trudged into the bar and sat his belongings down at the first chair he could find. He then rubbed his face and looked around again at those present. He was quiet and observed the goings on and tables that had people around them.

Not seeing anyone familiar, he clambered up on the seat next to his many pouches and bags and waited on someone to serve him. Seems this is the place after all. I'll wait a bit and then see what we see.
Dara Algot
 Player, 1 post
Wed 6 Mar 2019
at 21:50
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
It had been a long, long road.  The caravan was finally putting in and the travelers spreading to the ends of the most recent settlement.  Dara wasted little time taking her backpack and precious cargo from Lydia and surrendering the horse's reigns to her.  "Someone deserves a nice brushing and an apple," she told the horse affectionately before leading her off in the direction of the stables.  Passing the necessary coin from her earnings, she walked with Lydia down the street looking for somewhere to get a hot meal and a room to sleep in.  The road was her friend but the last two years had been burdensome on her.

Finding the sign with three green dragons and one white, she felt a ray of hope fill her.  Or maybe it was the smell of food coming from within.  Either way, she was drawn into the establishment before she realized what she was doing.  Dara was still road worn, dusty and fatigued but still maintaining some spirit as she walked in.  Spying the counter, she and Lydia walked to it and sat down.

"What do you have ready?  Stew?  Yes that sounds wonderful, I'd like a bowl please and may I have an extra spoon?"  Dara's precious cargo was that of the most precious type, an infant child bundled tightly in a blanket for warmth and concealment.  One didn't walk through unknown cities without showing great care, even with a scimitar on her belt.

When the food served she wiggled in her chair enough to put the child on her leg in her left arm.  Sliding the bowl to the right she took a bite to test the temperature before blowing on it.  The child took a tepid bite before flailing about, knocking the spoon from Dara's hand and sending it falling to the floor.  Lydia reached down and picked it up to find the patron of the house already there with a new spoon.  "She's not very hungry," Dara said to Lydia before taking a spoonful for herself.  Unlike the baby, Dara was quite hungry and she wasted little time starting on the meal while Lydia secured a room for the night.  In between bites, Dara took a look around to see who was present, what the place was like, who the typical patrons were.  She tried once more to feed the baby and was rewarded as she took a mouthful of the sauce and swallowed with without fuss.  "Do you have any warm milk?" she asked.
DM
 GM, 2691 posts
 Mad, bad and slightly sad
Wed 6 Mar 2019
at 21:58
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
With Winnie otherwise occupied, the other serving staff have to work much harder than normal, flitting from tables to table collecting orders  and running them up to the bar as quickly as they can.

One waitress, jugging a tray full of empties, stops by Findlas' table to take his order, then pulls a face as the woman at the next table asks for warmed milk.  "I'll see what I can do ..." she responds with a forced smile.
DM
 GM, 2706 posts
 Mad, bad and slightly sad
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 20:43
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Dara / Findlas conversation moved to new thread :)
~ Berta Roth
 NPC p, 25 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 06:27
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Berta smiles and nods to both Marceline and Magatha, though feels the lack of a cup to return the salute ... but for the moment she's on duty, and her roving eyes scan the room.

Voices growing a bit too loud and angry  launch her from her comfortable post, sending  her across the floor, not quickly, but with her habitual swagger that gives those she's heading for time enough to kiss and make up before she draws close, saying nothing but lingering long enough to let it be a warning, before leaving them to it.

With nobody else looking as if they need her to eyeball them at the moment, the warrior-woman elects to take up her vigil at the table that Marceline has chosen, grasping her friend in a robust hug of greeting.

>>> To Marceline's table (but she's still watching you all !  ;>)
~Magatha Primrose
 NPC e, 4 posts
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 23:59
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Magatha strode from the stage with as much purpose as she had strode onto it. She dutifully returned the empty whiskey glass to the bar, never one to be a bad guest.

It was to the half-elven man who had played the song at the proper tempo to keep her sword exercises in sync that she directed her final march.

"There is a man in this town that I am looking to meet. They say he was a street performer and now he holds town meetings. Something of a gift for music, they say. And describe him to look a certain way. If that man be you, then I have a business proposal to discuss. In private. "
Adoven
 Player, 384 posts
 HP 34 AC 18 F+2 R+8 W+2
 Rogue / Bard
Thu 21 Mar 2019
at 09:19
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
When she returns from her private meeting with Cass, Magatha Primrose has another man waiting for her. An elaborate bow is followed by the words "Madam, I am in awe of your skills. I am striving to master a dueling style and believe you can help me strengthen a few basics that seem to have escaped me. I also need the services of a skilled inventor, because I have an idea that might aid trade within the River Kingdoms. Might you be available for consultation? For a proper fee, of course."
~ Darius
 NPC e, 19 posts
 Scribe, Carouser
Fri 22 Mar 2019
at 21:30
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Considering all of the commotion and hilarity that the simple notice Wyn had put up caused, Darius decided he needed to take a look at it for himself.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 21:30, Fri 22 Mar 2019.

DM
 GM, 2832 posts
 Mad, bad and slightly sad
Fri 22 Mar 2019
at 21:34
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
The Notice reads:
~ Darius
 NPC e, 19 posts
 Scribe, Carouser
Fri 5 Apr 2019
at 21:22
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Darius heads over to the bar to get another drink, nonchalantly glancing around the bar as he does so.

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 21:22, Fri 05 Apr 2019.

DM
 GM, 2970 posts
Sat 13 Apr 2019
at 06:54
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
PM
~ Berta Roth
 NPC p, 30 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Sun 14 Apr 2019
at 13:58
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Ever vigilant, Berta takes heed of those amongst the crowd who choose to read the notice her brother posted, her brow rising almost imperceptibly as Darius ventures over to the bar, his surreptitious glances not escaping her attention.
~Findlas
 NPC e, 9 posts
 World Weary
 Wary Gnome
Thu 11 Jul 2019
at 17:12
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Findlas walked up to the bar and took at look at the notice that had grabbed the attention of others since he'd come in waiting, wondering what it might be about.
DM
 GM, 3108 posts
Thu 11 Jul 2019
at 17:53
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
The Notice Reads
~Findlas
 NPC e, 10 posts
 World Weary
 Wary Gnome
Thu 11 Jul 2019
at 18:05
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
He chuffed a bit to himself when he read the notice and popped up on a stool and said to the bartender. "So... says someone wants a skilled jeweler. I happen to be one such. Who needs what done?"
DM
 GM, 3109 posts
Thu 11 Jul 2019
at 18:24
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
The bartender nods, and calls Wyn over.

The bard looks down at the gnome.  "So you are a jeweller?  And you say you are a skilled jeweller?  OK, so show me some of your work."
~Findlas
 NPC e, 11 posts
 World Weary
 Wary Gnome
Thu 11 Jul 2019
at 21:33
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Findlas looked up at the man asking with a squint in his eye, "I do say, yup. I don't carry my work about with me because it's all sold son. Just arrived in town after all. You show me some jewels that need work though and I'll show you my work first hand."

He did reach into a pack and pull out some incredibly well-made tools for jewel work. "Gnome doesn't come by tools like this less he's got some skill with the work. But if you need me to show you jewels I've cut and polished, well there's none right now."
_ Wyn Roth
 NPC, 17 posts
 Flamboyant Half-Elf
Thu 11 Jul 2019
at 22:23
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"And you just expect me to hand over precious metals to the first gnome who happens to pop into my bar?  That is a good way to lose money real quick.  Look, I am not saying you will do a runner on me, but I need some sort of references or surety before I have over a lump of gold t a complete stranger.  I expect you want to see the money, before you hand over a finished piece of work ...."
~Findlas
 NPC e, 12 posts
 World Weary
 Wary Gnome
Thu 11 Jul 2019
at 22:36
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Well, like I said. I just got to town so I don't have much to give you that'll act as a guarantee. Friend of mine sent for me. Said I might find things to interest me down here that I hadn't seen before. It was time for me to move on so I took her up on it. I'm hoping to meet up with her down here, but I've got the letter she sent me. She works for that Lord Henry doin' some such, and I think she's getting me setup up at Oleg's too. I passed through there on the way in, but they told me she was down this way doing things." Findlas grumbled to the man as he pulled out a letter to show Wyn.

"As to payment..." he shrugged. "If you try to stiff me, I'll have the jewels which are worth more than my work likely. So... don't stiff me and we'll be fine. I don't need to see your money before I do the work, just when you want to claim the jewel or jewels back."
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 31 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Fri 12 Jul 2019
at 06:47
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Stuck helping out behind the bar this evening Berta half listens to the conversation betwixt the gnome and her elder brother, while keeping an eye out for Winnie, ready to send Ged, whose turn it is to watch the crowd, to intercept and divert her sister-in-law away from them should it prove necessary.

"They're a thirsty lot these Tuskers !" she grins to one of the servers, filling another jug of ale and passing it over.
_ Wyn Roth
 NPC, 18 posts
 Flamboyant Half-Elf
Fri 12 Jul 2019
at 07:19
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Wyn reads the letter that Findlas hands over and starts to smile as the gnome threatens him.  "I see you haven't quite got the idea.  There are no jewels, just the gold.  However, this resolves the problem," he says waving the letter around, before returning it to the Gnome.  "I'll pop into see you next time I am up at Oleg's and you have your workshop set up."

Wyn waves one of the servers across, then turns back to the Gnome.  "Thank you for coming across to see me,  allow me to buy you a drink ..." he says indicating the server.
Adoven
 Player, 492 posts
 HP 34 AC 18 F+2 R+8 W+2
 Rogue / Bard
Fri 12 Jul 2019
at 07:26
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
In reply to ~Findlas (msg # 101):

Adoven is nursing an ale and contemplating plans for the future. He walks up holding his mug and asks "Good sir, are you from Jovvox by any chance?"
_ Wyn Roth
 NPC, 19 posts
 Flamboyant Half-Elf
Fri 12 Jul 2019
at 07:36
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
With a smile towards the merchant, Wyn instructs the server, "Oh, and get one for Adoven as well."
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 32 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Fri 12 Jul 2019
at 13:25
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Berta has two cups of ale waiting on the counter by the time the server turns about again, ready to lift them onto the tray and send her on her way.

Jovvox ?  Somewhere in the River Kingdoms, she thinks, though her grasp of the geography of these parts is uncertain.
~Findlas
 NPC e, 13 posts
 World Weary
 Wary Gnome
Fri 12 Jul 2019
at 17:07
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Findlas looks oddly at Wyn, "yeah. Guess I didn't get it, but now I do. Usually when I see a note like that it's someone wanting some rough stuff cleaned up for a fee, not ready coin to spend on already done work. But I get you now. Sure come on up when in a few weeks. I should have some stuff by then." He nodded his thanks for the drink and sipped it as Adoven walked up.

"Jovvox? Not so much, but I've passed through a time or two. Adoven's your name then? What's Jovvox to you?"
Adoven
 Player, 493 posts
 HP 34 AC 18 F+2 R+8 W+2
 Rogue / Bard
Fri 12 Jul 2019
at 17:20
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Adoven says "my company and I are looking to expand trade to the south. It occurs to me that being able to set up a jetty in Jovvox might be mutually beneficial with Tusk. Somehow I don't see Mivon welcoming a competing shipper within their city unless I establish a semi-local presence first."
~Findlas
 NPC e, 14 posts
 World Weary
 Wary Gnome
Fri 12 Jul 2019
at 18:10
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Findlas nodded, "ahh. Well as to that, not sure what help I'll be. As I said, I've been there and passed through. Not from there though, so not much help to you in trying to set something up."

"If you do get a meet with someone down there, I might could write you an introduction or some such one gnome to another, but beyond that not sure what help I could be."
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 33 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Thu 26 Dec 2019
at 12:38
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
While the well-to-do or at least well-connected have secured an invite to the celebrations at Lemaistre Hall, the Dragon's Den is the place to be for all the rest !

The common room might not be so grand as the fine chamber in which Lord Henry and Lady Bai hold court, but the fire is warm, the atmosphere most convivial, the smells from the kitchen mouth-watering, the resident musicians in fine form and the wine and ale free-flowing, requiring no title or holdings, just a paltry few coin to enable one to enjoy Winterfest to the full !

This night it is Gedd's turn behind the bar, while Berta has the task of ensuring the fun does not get too out of hand.
~Folfast Balhon
 NPC p, 3 posts
 Author, poet & playwright
 Guest at the Roth's Inn
Thu 26 Dec 2019
at 13:03
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Warmed by both fire and ale, and with the crowd banging their tankards upon the tabletops to the beat, Folfast finishes up the 'Winterfest Ode' with a triumphant flourish.

"Though its dark and cold and the wolves grow bold ...

With a cup in my hand I will make my stand !"


Raising fiddle and bow to acknowledge the applause the large man generously defers his audience to those who share the stage with him, waving to each in turn, before holding up a hand for quiet.

"Mercy !" Folfast pleads.  "At least allow me to drain a cup myself before we continue on our way most merry !"
~Gedd
 NPC p, 20 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Thu 26 Dec 2019
at 13:22
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Gedd grins across the room at Folfast as he pours a mug of ale and beckons Winnie to deliver it to him.

"Get that to Folfast before he sits down or there's no telling when we'll have him back on his feet again," he chuckles.

Still chuckling he turns to the large iron pot suspended above a charcoal brazier behind the bar. The delicious aroma of warm, spiced wine wafts out as he lift the lid and ladles a small portion into a mug. He smiles happily as he takes a sip and nods to the older man helping him behind the bar tonight.

"That's perfect, Pete. On a cold night like this there's nothing that warms your belly like mulled wine."
_ Wyn Roth
 NPC, 20 posts
 Flamboyant Half-Elf
Thu 26 Dec 2019
at 14:05
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Oh.  He's not that bad ..."  Wyn admonishes his brother, "and it saves me having to be up on the stage all the time.  And the crowd seems to enjoy it."

Wyn sets up cups of the mulled wine for Winnie and Berta, ready for when they finish their latest security and delivery rounds, and raises his own glass towards Pete.  "You always manage to get this just right ..."
Cass Mordane
 Player, 459 posts
 Bard, Sword Scion
 Sometime Diplomat
Sat 4 Jan 2020
at 23:20
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Since the Tusk council would be holding its formal meetings again for the citizens of Midmarch to make their requests and thoughts known, Cass thought it was a good idea to allow for some informal meetings as well. He could think of no better place to do so than everyone’s favorite little watering hole, The Dragons Den.

After smiling and waving to those who greeted him, Cass chose to put forth a request of his own. “A round for the house, including proprietors, on me, if you wouldn’t mind.” Cass said politely. “And a round of Grog for myself, please.”
~Folfast Balhon
 NPC p, 4 posts
 Author, poet & playwright
 Guest at the Roth's Inn
Sun 5 Jan 2020
at 06:13
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Well said, sir !  Well said !" Folfast booms his thanks to Cass, draining the cup Winnie brought him in a toast to the Bard, ready for the next round.

"Have you any requests ?  A favourite tune we might regale you with in gratitude for your largess ?"
Cass Mordane
 Player, 470 posts
 Bard, Sword Scion
 Sometime Diplomat
Thu 9 Jan 2020
at 01:44
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
“Are you familiar with a little ditty called Bile That Cabbage Down?” Cass asked with a smile. “It’s a catchy one that I often find stuck in my head. If not, anything with a bit of a ramble for a good time sounds just fine.”

This message was last edited by the player at 01:46, Thu 09 Jan 2020.

_ Wyn Roth
 NPC, 21 posts
 Flamboyant Half-Elf
Thu 9 Jan 2020
at 08:09
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Turn them ho cakes around."  Wyn echoes from the other end of the bar
~Folfast Balhon
 NPC p, 5 posts
 Author, poet & playwright
 Guest at the Roth's Inn
Thu 9 Jan 2020
at 13:51
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Folfast eyes Cass levelly, a grin spreading across his face as Wyn prompts him.

"Ah yes," the big man booms.  "I've heard that version, indeed ... but the folks in these parts are rather more partial to their grog than their greens, so we sing it somewhat differently here ..."

"Ready lads and lasses ?!!" he roars.  "Are your cups charged ?  Well then !"

Climbing back upon onto the stage with a grunt of effort, he begins to stamp his foot upon the boards, establishing the rhythm, waiting until everyone has their cup filled before he launches into the song.

Drink that flagon down, down
Turn that cup around
Fill it up and raise it high
An' drink that flagon down !

Climbed myself a mountain
To raise my cup so high
But from above did Dragon dive
To drank my flagon dry !

Drink that flagon down, down
Turn that cup around
Fill it up and raise it high
An' drink that flagon down !

Sittin' in a gnarled old tree
About to drink me fill
But that just made the dryad mad
An' she my mug did swill !

Drink that flagon down, down
Turn that cup around
Fill it up and raise it high
An' drink that flagon down !

Took me to the desert
The heat got to my brain
An' all the salamanders
My chalices they drained !

Hid me in a hole in ground
Upon the earth so soft
But angry Xorn made me forlorn
When he my tankard quaffed !

Drink that flagon down, down
Turn that cup around
Fill it up and raise it high
An' drink that flagon down !

Sailed out on the ocean
Din' know down from up
Till kraken roused from the depths
An' it my goblet supped !

Oooooh ... drink that flagon down, down
Turn that cup around
Fill it up and raise it high
Aaaaan' ... DRINK that flagon DOWN!

This message was last updated by the GM at 01:09, Wed 24 June 2020.

Cass Mordane
 Player, 495 posts
 Bard, Sword Scion
 Sometime Diplomat
Tue 4 Feb 2020
at 23:55
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
It had been a rousing and pleasantly surprising rendition, and Cass raised his mug in salute. “Incomparable!” And it was, Cass would remember the song and the moment for many long days into the future.

Now that everyone was in a sufficiently good mood, the mayor of Tusk found himself a table and had a seat. Anyone who wished to talk to him for either business or pleasure could make themselves welcome at the table.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:59, Tue 04 Feb 2020.

Alisa D'Medvyed
 player, 193 posts
 Half-elf Cleric
 AC 16 Hps 21
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 20:34
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Alisa made her way into the Dragon, expressly with the intent of locating said Mayor.  Someone had told her that he might be found here.

She entered on the tail end of the tune, and looked with some regard at the performing minstrel -    Well, he has a profound presence and voice, she reflected.

By description, she spotted the Mayor, approached, and introduced herself -

"Mayor Mordane, good day to you.    I'm Alisa D'Medvyed, a new business owner in Tusk, and...a priestess.   Is this a convenient time to speak concerning a few things?"

Cass Mordane
 Player, 496 posts
 Bard, Sword Scion
 Sometime Diplomat
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 21:04
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Cass stood at the woman’s arrival.  He gave what he believed was an appropriate bow given the situation, and welcomed her with a smile. “Ah, yes, Lady D'Medvyed.  The magical supply shop, Sisters of the Moon. I do recall.”

Cass gestured to the seat opposite.  “It would be my pleasure to entertain your company. Please, have a seat and we may discuss whatever you wish. May I offer you a glass of perlet, a Poacher’s Pale Ale, or other refreshment? And please, call me Cass.”

This message was lightly edited by the player at 21:04, Wed 05 Feb 2020.

_Winnie
 NPC, 22 posts
 Smiling Half-Elf
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 21:13
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Seeing the newly created Lord-Mayor speaking with a young woman, Winnie smiles softly and wonders slightly about their relationship.  It was, after all, about time he was snapped up.  if ever there was an eligible bachelor ....  Then she looks across at Wyn and smiles, happy that she has the better part of the deal.

"Can I get you anything ..." she asks as she approaches the table. ...
Alisa D'Medvyed
 player, 196 posts
 Half-elf Cleric
 AC 16 Hps 21
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 21:43
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
She took the offered seat. "Aye.  Sisters of the Moon, it is.   And, please -- it's just Alisa. My family are land-holders, but calling us nobility is a bit of a stretch."   Lady D'Medvyed was how her step-mother liked to style herself.  She couldn't help but think of her whenever she heard it.   Not in any good way.

"The perlet sounds excellent, I think I'm going with that, thank you," she said to both Cass, as well as the server.

"Well, what I mainly want to address has more to do with my role as a cleric, than a business owner.    What are your general feelings, as regards new temples or churches within Tusk?   Particularly, as regards a religion that isn't ...so well established, in these lands?"     Now, that was putting it mildly...   
_Winnie
 NPC, 23 posts
 Smiling Half-Elf
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 22:02
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Perlet delivered, Winnie makes her way back to the bar area, but keeps an eye on the Lord-Mayor's table -  just in case more drinks are required.
Cass Mordane
 Player, 497 posts
 Bard, Sword Scion
 Sometime Diplomat
Thu 6 Feb 2020
at 00:20
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
“Thank you,” Cass  said to Winnie when she brought the perlet. It was hardly a secret that Cass had a fondness for the sparkling white wine, or that he hoped to begin bottling his own version someday.

Cass knew it would be impolite to laugh, but the question was one that he considered somewhat charming, given his own nature. “It might not be well known, but I personally am an adherent of Cayden Cailean. I tend to favor religious freedom unless it involves dark deeds such as drowning people in rivers and other such nonsense. I doubt your own tendencies run so dark. What do you have in mind?”

This message was last edited by the player at 00:21, Thu 06 Feb 2020.

Alisa D'Medvyed
 player, 197 posts
 Half-elf Cleric
 AC 16 Hps 21
Thu 6 Feb 2020
at 02:30
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Alisa herself laughed a little at his response, feeling more at ease in this conversation now.

"No, no, nothing like that.   On a really bad day, I may get kind of sarcastic, and use some un-priestess like language. That's about it.   Do you know the name Acavna?" 

She tapped the sigil she wore, cast in silver - a pair of spears crossed atop a moon.
Cass Mordane
 Player, 498 posts
 Bard, Sword Scion
 Sometime Diplomat
Thu 6 Feb 2020
at 06:00
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Sarcastic, and using un-priestess like language? That was his every day behavior, especially while on a mission. Cass thought, but his face quickly became somber. The conversation had turned serious and in its way sacred.

“Not well enough to speak on, but I know of her great sacrifice.” Cass took note of the sigil and nodded his understanding. “I don’t think our good king, er, Lord Governor Henry would have any issues with a church for Acavna. Or any of the Tusk council members. All that should be needed is finding a proper location and dedicating the resources to its construction.”
Alisa D'Medvyed
 player, 198 posts
 Half-elf Cleric
 AC 16 Hps 21
Thu 6 Feb 2020
at 22:04
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
I think Cass would probably get (maybe in later reflection) that Alisa was joking; it was said with a smile, which I forgot to note.    She's fairly straight laced, when compared to some, but not like a modern day nun, or such.  She was just trying to be funny.

"I'm glad to hear that.   Reactions to the idea have been mixed, though most of those whose opinion will matter, have been encouraging.  As the mayor, I did feel it was important to speak with you early on.    I didn't want it to be any surprise once the time comes.  Domitius Solamnus has been aiding me with the planning --  he suggested a location near Lake Silvertop, and its tributary river. (Hex 16) Unless it poses a problem, I think I'm set on that.     As for resources -- right now my focus is on gathering them.    I'm not looking to start before I have enough to really do this the right way." 
Kendrick Winters
 player, 395 posts
 Marshal-Dominus-Tusk Town
 Knight Paladin of Iomedae
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 16:07
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Kendrick entered the Dragons Den. He smiled as he was ushered to his table. He glanced around the room and gave a brief nod of acknowledgement before he sat down at his table. "Wine. Warm bread and meats." He ordered...


link to a message in this game

Kendrick moved to his table since someone was already busy in a conversation.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:19, Sun 09 Feb 2020.

Cass Mordane
 Player, 500 posts
 Bard, Sword Scion
 Sometime Diplomat
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 20:23
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den

Cass gave Kendrick a welcoming nod as well.

“My thanks to you for the consideration,” Cass said to Alisa. “I am somewhat familiar with the area you mention and feel that it is only fair to warn you that it has been some of the most dangerous that I have seen in Midmarch. On patrols we have encountered a wyvern, a roc, and a cyclops near there. Due to its being a bit less traveled perhaps more fearsome creatures have felt secure in nesting there. I say this not to dissuade your choice of location, but to recommend that the area should be extensively scouted and patroled as you populate the area.”
Alisa D'Medvyed
 player, 203 posts
 Half-elf Cleric
 AC 16 Hps 21
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 04:51
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Alisa had likewise paused to wave a brief salutation to Sir Kendrick, whom had led the last major outing for Lord Henry of which she had been a part.

Then she considered Cass' warning words, and nodded.   "Yes -- the region has its perils.   There are plans being laid to first secure and then settle the area.   Though, that doesn't mean it will be free of all threats, of course.  But, my Lady is goddess of Defensive battle. Thus, her temple will be a highly defensible bastion.   A place where those under threat may come for protection."       
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 35 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Mon 17 Feb 2020
at 11:06
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Berta for one has never heard of Acavna or her sacrifice ... but Alisa seems well-spoken and of a pleasant demeanor, so the Dragon's resident bouncer is willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Satisfied that the newcomer is unlikely to disturb the evening's festivities, the warrior-woman turns her attention elsewhere.
Cass Mordane
 Player, 504 posts
 Bard/Sword Scion/Diplomat
 My Sword Sings
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 21:37
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
“It sounds that you have matters well in hand.” Cass admitted. “If I can be of any assistance in getting you established, please let me know.”
Alisa D'Medvyed
 player, 210 posts
 Half-elf Cleric
 AC 16 Hps 21
Thu 20 Feb 2020
at 03:07
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Huzzah --  I didn't get bounced! That would have been embarrassing.  ;)

"Thank you for that, Cass.   And in turn, if I can be of assistance to Tusk or your own endeavors, then that offer is mutual."       She took a sip of her perlet, and asked "I've heard tell you are quite talented in the art of music - do you still perform?"
Cass Mordane
 Player, 507 posts
 Bard/Sword Scion/Diplomat
 My Sword Sings
Thu 20 Feb 2020
at 22:22
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Cass didn't exactly blush, but his face may have thought about it for a moment. "I think someone has been rather generous in describing my musical prowess, but yes, I do still perform occasionally when they will allow me."
Alisa D'Medvyed
 player, 212 posts
 Half-elf Cleric
 AC 16 Hps 21
Fri 21 Feb 2020
at 20:43
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
She was a bit surprised by his modesty.   It was something different than the usual bard.    And it was her turn to laugh a little.  "Indeed?  And who gets to tell the mayor whether or no he go out and play?" 
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 36 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Sat 22 Feb 2020
at 00:54
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Berta snorts, most unlady-like, a broad grin stealing over her.
Cass Mordane
 Player, 511 posts
 Bard/Sword Scion/Diplomat
 My Sword Sings
Sun 23 Feb 2020
at 05:42
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Cass laughed. “I don’t think I would be mayor of anything for long if I went around accosting people in their businesses or open public with bad music. Other than that, the way it normally works is that Bai tells Henry what to do and Henry tells me. I just try to help where I can.”

When someone was available, Cass ordered a glass of port to be sent over for Marshall Winters to enjoy after his meal as well as an invitation to join Cass and Alisa if he so desired. Kendrick had said that he would like to discuss the troops and defenses of Tusk with Cass when next they had an opportunity. He may have meant that conversation to happen here in the Den.

“Would you like some more perlet or anything else?” Cass enquired. “The Roths manage to attract a fair number of bards to keep their clientele entertained, so it is not unusual to hear fine music here on any given night. I was a street performer in Restov and my mother waited tables at an inn much like this one, so I have gained something of a discerning ear over the years. Do you sing?”

This message was last edited by the player at 05:45, Sun 23 Feb 2020.

Alisa D'Medvyed
 player, 214 posts
 Half-elf Cleric
 AC 16 Hps 21
Sun 23 Feb 2020
at 19:43
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Thank you for asking, I'm probably sticking with one glass."  Alisa's eyes flicked briefly toward the red-haired bouncer, when she made her snort.

She smiled.  "Ah ha.   I see how it works, then.  Makes complete sense. Though, I've a hunch you may be underrating your talent.  But of course, you would know better than I."   It was her turn to laugh a bit, when asked if she was a singer.

"I think we'll leave that to the imagination, for now.   I've had no training or practice to speak of. Unless we count times where I knew I was good and alone.  But, it is something I would like to learn, given the time.  For religious uses, firstly. But also for fun."

After finishing her glass of wine, and concluding any conversation, Alisa arose "My thanks to you for your time, and the information, Cass.  Until next time, then."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:24, Sun 01 Mar 2020.

~Folfast Balhon
 NPC p, 6 posts
 Author, poet & playwright
 Guest at the Roth's Inn
Sun 22 Mar 2020
at 12:30
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Upon the stage, Folfast sways happily, a liquor fuelled smile upon his lips.  Somewhat unsteadily he places his cup on the floor then takes up his fiddle, nodding to the group of players, as he stamps his foot to set the beat.

"Entertainment ?!!  You wish then to bear witness to the celebration of high and lofty art that the ears the patrons of this fine establishment are oft times privileged to hear ?"


"Very well then !" he announces with a roar, "we shall regale you fine gentles ... and all the rest of ye ne'er-do-wells besides !" his grin broadens as he stares out at the assembled patrons, saluting them with his bow.  "I give you ... the Ballad of Bish ..." his announcement falters for but a heartbeat as he catches Berta's eye and swiftly backtracks "...with the Ballad of Unlucky Jak !"

Lightning bolt flies from Wand of Wonder
Butterflies come streaming at me
The paladin said
"Look out up ahead !
"A Flesh to Stone's a hundred to three !"

Gorum, you know it ain't easy
You know how hard it can be
The way things are going
They're gonna petrify me

Ugly looking chicken hops forward
Muddled up with lizard and bat
Wonders' ne'er cease
It's a damn cockatrice
Just one touch and you're stoned and that's that !

Gorum, you know it ain't easy
You know how hard it can be
The way things are going
They're gonna petrify me

Another reptilian monster
Shuffling along on the floor
The sorcerer cries
"Just don't look in its eyes !
Just one glance and it is statues for sure !"

Gorum, you know it ain't easy
You know how hard it can be
The way things are going
They're gonna petrify me

Found a pair of fine crystal lenses
Tried them on and thought I might take a punt
To my satisfaction
They're Eyes of Petrifaction
Just don't put them on back to front !

Gorum, you know it ain't easy
You know how hard it can be
The way things are going
They're gonna petrify me

My date turned out to be a real horror
Her hair started hissing at me
Stared down a Medusa
And I was the loser
Between a rock and I hard place I be

Gorum, you know it ain't easy
You know how hard it can be
The way things are going !
They're gonna petrify me !



OOC: fashioned after the Ballad of John and Yoko with utterly abject apologies to Mr Lennon
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 37 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Thu 26 Mar 2020
at 13:20
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Berta is somewhat mollified by Folfast's change of tune, but at the conclusion she heads purposefully towards the stage.

"I think I need to walk him around outside for a while," the warrior-woman mutters darkly.

"If you fancy a shot at stardom, you're up !" she grins broadly at Cass as she strides past his table.
Cass Mordane
 Player, 526 posts
 Bard/Sword Scion/Diplomat
 My Sword Sings
Mon 1 Jun 2020
at 09:17
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
“One could hardly pass up such a golden opportunity.” Cass grinned.

“If you will excuse me....” Cass gave Alisa as formal a retreating bow as the furniture allowed and moved out to present the room with a little tune from his own repertoire. Hopefully it would lift spirits even more.

“I like a warm bed and a good meal and a pint or seven can send me to heaven but Henry pays me well to first go out and then bring back the tale. So I like a bit of adventuring.”

  The Glory of Adventure

When the enemy's surrounding,
and we think our nerves will fail,
when we hear the trumpets sounding,
and they make us quake and quail,
grab your mug and we'll be pounding,
down another round of ale!

And we'll drink,
to the glory of adventure!

If there ever comes the day
when we think that we are lost,
when we think that we must pay
that most dear and final cost,
we'll just pass around the tray,
and feel better when we're sauced!

And we'll drink,
to the glory of adventure!

When we're angry and upset,
'cause we ain't been getting paid,
when we're tired, cold and wet,
and a little bit afraid,
we'll keep drinking and forget
that we ever were dismayed!

And we'll drink,
to the glory of adventure!

When the boredom makes us jumpy,
and the motion makes us ill,
when the food is cold and lumpy,
a disgusting, slimy swill,
there's no reason to be grumpy;
tap the keg, and drink your fill!

And we'll drink,
to the glory of adventure!

When the captain's really sore,
'cause he thinks he's being mocked,
when he's pounding on our door,
and we're certain to get socked,
have a drink, and tease him more;
we'll feel nothing if we're crocked!

And we'll drink,
to the glory of adventure!

This message was last edited by the player at 09:18, Mon 01 June 2020.

Cass Mordane
 Player, 551 posts
 Bard/Sword Scion/Diplomat
 My Sword Sings
Wed 24 Jun 2020
at 17:19
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
It had been some time since Cass had sang his little ditty at the Dragons Den. This time he was arriving in hopes of learning some valuable information.

“Two pitchers of your finest Poachers Pale Ale!” Cass called out as he selected a table. “I’m expecting friends, and if not, it will just be a fun night for me!”

This message was last edited by the player at 17:19, Wed 24 June 2020.

Adoven
 Player, 696 posts
 HP 40 AC 20 F+2 R+9 W+2
 Rogue / Bard
Thu 25 Jun 2020
at 16:38
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Adoven slides into one of the open benches. "Still haven't lost the touch, Cass, though your upper range has a small tremor of vibrato. Got to watch that in the future. I've taken the liberty of inviting Rudolpho Redmop to this little meeting. He's to run the Merchant Shop I'm building for the gnomes. In addition to gnome steel, I understand they are adept brewers as well, so we might start seeing those products as well."

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:08, Thu 25 June 2020.

Cass Mordane
 Player, 552 posts
 Bard/Sword Scion/Diplomat
 My Sword Sings
Thu 25 Jun 2020
at 18:50
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
“Thank you. I will need to watch that. Vibrato is always a poor stand-in for range.” Cass lifted the pitcher and poured a glass of ale before setting it in front of Adoven. Cass nodded approvingly upon hearing that Redmop would be attending as well. “Excellent. I am hoping that this is the beginning of a very lucrative and friendly relationship between Midmarch and the Gnome community.”

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:08, Thu 25 June 2020.

Rudolphus Redmop
Thu 25 Jun 2020
at 19:12
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
The small gnome, who perhaps gets his name from his unruly mop of red hair, climbs up onto a seat - his head barely rising above the tabletop.  "Do they have any bigger chairs in here?" He asks a bit peevishly.

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 19:12, Thu 25 June 2020.

Cass Mordane
 Player, 553 posts
 Bard/Sword Scion/Diplomat
 My Sword Sings
Thu 25 Jun 2020
at 19:48
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Cass pours the gnome a glass of ale and sets it before him. “Greetings, Master Redmop. Thank you for joining us. The disparity in size appropriate chairs are one of the many things I hope will change in Midmarch. We just need a few more appropriate crafters.”
Andalon de Lebeda
 Player, 945 posts
 Bishop at Cathedral of
 Abadar in Tusk City
Fri 26 Jun 2020
at 15:07
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Andalon was not exactly a frequent visitor to the Dragons Den but today proved to be an exception. He only hesitated at the doorway long enough to spot Cass and Adoven, then walked straight over to join them with a rolled up parchment in one hand.

"Good evening, Cass. Thankyou for inviting me to join you here. Adoven, a pleasure as always. I am afraid I haven't met your friend yet, though."
Rudolphus Redmop
Fri 26 Jun 2020
at 15:10
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Redcap.  Rudolphus Redmop.  Merchant of Jovvox."  the gnome responds to Andalon's greeting.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:46, Fri 26 June 2020.

Andalon de Lebeda
 Player, 946 posts
 Bishop at Cathedral of
 Abadar in Tusk City
Fri 26 Jun 2020
at 15:21
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Jovvox? You are certainly a long way from home, Master Rudolphus. Did you sail back with Cass and Adoven after their trip down the river?" Andalon enquired.
Cass Mordane
 Player, 556 posts
 Bard/Sword Scion/Diplomat
 My Sword Sings
Fri 26 Jun 2020
at 18:28
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Cass poured Andalon a glass of Poachers Pale Ale and sat it before him. He then waited for their gnomish guest to continue speaking. Cass was glad that Andoven invited Redmop along. The merchant might be able to help facilitate things.
Rudolphus Redmop
Fri 26 Jun 2020
at 19:44
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"No.  I got a ride on one of the Yitis ships.   They owed me a favour, and it was a bit more comfortable than the vessel that Cass and Adoven were travelling in." The gnome responds.
_ Winnie Roth
 NPC, 24 posts
 Co-Owner: Dragons Den
 in Tusk
Fri 26 Jun 2020
at 19:47
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Just then Winnie  comes up to the table.  "What can I get you gentlemen?" She says greeting the Luminaries from Tusk, "Something to eat, perhaps.  More drinks?  And perhaps a taller seat for your friend?"
Cass Mordane
 Player, 557 posts
 Bard/Sword Scion/Diplomat
 My Sword Sings
Fri 26 Jun 2020
at 20:07
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Cass had hoped Marshal Winters would be able to make the meeting, but he might be tied up with important matters. Cass was reluctant to keep the others waiting, so he could fill the Marshal in later.

Cass took a sip of ale before speaking. “It has come to my attention that there have been regular migrations of Halflings from the River Kingdoms area through Midmarch up into New Stetven and Restov. I believe the Chain Ferry has been beneficial concerning these migrations in a number of cases. Purely speculation, but I believe that many, if not all, of these wandering Halflings are former slaves from areas that practice the nefarious act of slavery like Cheliax.”

Cass paused, and took another sip before indicating Andalon. “I believe that you retrieved a map from the old Stag Lord fort that was used as a guide to freedom for a number of former slaves.”

He redirected his gaze to include Rudolphus and Adoven. “I would like any possible help in inviting the Halflings, former slaves or not, to settle here in Midmarch instead. They are particularly welcome to settle in the area of Silverton, and are welcome to even create their own separate community there, pending Henry’s approval, of course.”

Cass had just finished speaking when Winnie arrived to offer further hospitality. “Yes, by all means, eat, drink, enjoy yourselves. As my guests.”

This message was last edited by the player at 20:08, Fri 26 June 2020.

Adoven
 Player, 697 posts
 HP 40 AC 20 F+2 R+9 W+2
 Rogue / Bard
Fri 26 Jun 2020
at 23:25
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Adoven shakes his head. "I'd forgotten about that map. I'll do what I can to help ferry any halfling settlers North to Tusk or Ringbridge. And I believe there is rich farmland near Fey Falls as well. Rudolphus, did you bring along any bottles of Jovvox's finest? Your breweries might find a market here in Tusk."
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 42 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Sat 27 Jun 2020
at 06:26
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
On this occasion, Berta is working behind the bar, though she spares a moment for a nod and a smile in greeting to Cass as he enters, having enjoyed his musical offering the last time he took to the stage, for all she was stuck outside with Folfast.

Should the major's guest want a taller chair, she'll happily bring one over for him.
Andalon de Lebeda
 Player, 948 posts
 Bishop at Cathedral of
 Abadar in Tusk City
Sat 27 Jun 2020
at 08:26
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Andalon smiled at the barmaid's question.

"Thankyou, I am sure Mister Redmop would be more comfortable on a more suitable chair. I would quite enjoy a pie or pastry if you have something along those lines on the menu," he replied.

When Cass mentioned the map Andalon cleared a space on the table and unrolled the parchment he had brought with him. It was a rough, hand-drawn map (see the Game Map for Group M) encompassing the area of Midmarch east of the Narlmarches, the Kamelands east of the Tuskwater and the Shrike River from north of Ringbridge all the way south to Mivon.

"Yes, after we took Fort Tusk we found this in a backpack that looked like it had belonged to a halfling priestess. It seems to show a route north from Mivon to 'Freedom', crossing that southern river at the Chain Ferry and crossing the Shrike River up near Ringbridge."
Rudolphus Redmop
Sat 27 Jun 2020
at 09:32
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Only a personal supply." The gnome responds to Adoven, "But  there will be plenty of oppornity for you to trade in some of our more 'exotic' brews once you have established a regular trade route between our settlements.

Oh and a slightly taller chair would be most appreciated."
The gnome adds with a smile, towards Winnie.
_ Winnie Roth
 NPC, 26 posts
 Co-Owner: Dragons Den
 in Tusk
Sat 27 Jun 2020
at 09:34
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"A portion of game pie ...  Anything else?"  Winnie half asks as she signs across the bar to Berta, for a taller chair.
~Tic Hucklebuckle
 NPC e, 1 post
 Hunter and Tracker
 Domitius Companion
Sat 27 Jun 2020
at 10:12
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
The Dragon's Den, Tic had heard of it, his cousin Snick had said it was the sort of place he hoped his tavern would become when the opened up near the lake. He scratched at the goatee on his chin and peered at it for a moment before heading inside.  Tic was dressed in his town gear a white linen shirt, red waistcoat under a blue jacket.  Blue three quarter length trousers and bare feet.  Tonight he wore his lucky eyepatch over his left eye.

Making his way to the bar he climbed up onto a chair in order to be seen. "Ah bartender, a mug of cider if you please.  Not a bad place you have here. he said with a smile looking around as best his halfling height would allow.
Cass Mordane
 Player, 559 posts
 Bard/Sword Scion/Diplomat
 My Sword Sings
Sat 27 Jun 2020
at 10:22
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Cass had returned Berta’s greeting with a similar one of his own upon arriving. It was good to see the Dragons Den doing so well.

“Nothing more for me at the moment,” Cass answered Winnie.

“Being in the hospitality business,” Cass explained to Rudolphus, “I have use for good workers for my hotels and taverns. And I have plans for tea and coffee houses and a number of breweries myself. Any Halfling or Gnome with such expertise would be a welcome employee or perhaps even partner in such ventures.”

This message was last edited by the player at 10:23, Sat 27 June 2020.

~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 45 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Sat 27 Jun 2020
at 13:42
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Home of Poacher's Pale - best ale there is," Berta smiles at the compliment Tic proffers, raising a brow to see if she can tempt him to change his mind.

Once he's made his decision and she's filled his cup, she ducks into the back room for a moment, returning with one of the taller chairs Winnie requested, casually carrying it over to Rudolphus's table (one-handed as you'd expect from the Dragon's part-time bouncer who has no objection to advertising that fact) to swap it over.

"Plenty of thirsty citizens for all of us," Berta grins at Cass.  "Maybe we should form a guild of our own ..."

Back at the bar, she turns her attention to Tic once more.

"Enjoying your drink ?  What brings you to Tusk - business or pleasure ?"
Rudolphus Redmop
Sat 27 Jun 2020
at 13:56
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Rudolphus swaps seats, and thanks both Berta and Winnie as he climbs aboard the higher chair.

"I am sure that many of the halflings travelling this way would be please to know that." The red-haired gnome responds to Cass.  "I can have a message posted for you in Jovvox, although you could also put one in The Symphony Swans.  Recently, most of the halflings have been heading that way.  They say it has been blessed by Milani."
Andalon de Lebeda
 Player, 951 posts
 Bishop at Cathedral of
 Abadar in Tusk City
Sat 27 Jun 2020
at 16:07
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Milani, yes, I believe there was some evidence that was the deity that our unknown halfling priestess served. Her holy symbol - a rose on a bloody street - was embroidered on a piece of white cloth in that backpack, if I recall correctly," Andalon advised thoughtfully. "Her clergy do seem rather more prone to becoming martyrs than would be considered desirable."
Adoven
 Player, 698 posts
 HP 40 AC 20 F+2 R+9 W+2
 Rogue / Bard
Sat 27 Jun 2020
at 18:05
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Adoven points out the southwest Red X. "There is where we encountered the Tedriculous. I think we can assume the other Red X's respresent Dangers. Perhaps the black X's are safe campsites?" He adds "perhaps we should set up traveller's lodges at those points?"

This message was last edited by the player at 18:33, Sat 27 June 2020.

Cass Mordane
 Player, 560 posts
 Bard/Sword Scion/Diplomat
 My Sword Sings
Sun 28 Jun 2020
at 01:40
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
“A brewer’s guild?” Cass lifted his glass to Berta in salute. “That is an excellent idea.”

“The Swans?” Cass asked Rudolphus. “Blessed by Milani? That is a surprise. Maybe Elkin has been keeping more secrets than I suspected. But yes, please. If you would place such a posting in Jovvox, I can certainly place such a posting at the Symphony of Swans.”

Cass listened as the others speculated about the mysterious map. “My guess is that you are right about the danger and the red X’s. And I quite like the idea of creating safe accommodations along the trail as well.”

This message was last edited by the player at 01:43, Sun 28 June 2020.

Rudolphus Redmop
Sun 28 Jun 2020
at 05:44
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Do you think the trail is still in use?" Rudolphus asks.  "After all, there are regular  river boat services here from the south?  I think most enterprising halflings, will find a way to work passage or hitch a ride.  I think your company employed one in Jovvox?" he adds looking across at Adoven.

Turning to Winnie, he follows Andalon's lead and orders a piece of the game pie, but with a mug of the local ale.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:32, Sun 28 June 2020.

Andalon de Lebeda
 Player, 952 posts
 Bishop at Cathedral of
 Abadar in Tusk City
Sun 28 Jun 2020
at 15:17
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"You are probably right, Rudolphus. That map dates back to when the Stag Lord and his bandits controlled this area. Now it probably only serves to indicate a few more interesting sites for us to explore in future."
~Tic Hucklebuckle
 NPC e, 2 posts
 Hunter and Tracker
 Domitius Companion
Sun 28 Jun 2020
at 23:58
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Right, make it a Poachers Pale then,  never doubt the barkeep in their own place as cousin Snicklesocks says." he grins and gives Berta a wink.  Taking the mug of ale he takes a long drink followed by a loud "Aaah, that hit the spot."  as Berta moves off he takes the time to look around from the chair he is standing on trying to get a better feel for the room.

As Berta returns he smiles again looks her up and down and says "Well now it could be a little of both.  This is a fine drop you have here, brewed on the premises?"
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 47 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Mon 29 Jun 2020
at 13:53
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Our brewery is down on Lakeside," Berta returns Tic's smile, pleased that her recommendation was both accepted and meets with the Halfling's approval. "We're using imported hops at the moment, but we're hoping to start growing our own in the future.

"You like it now, but just wait till those hops don't have to travel so far to get here !"

"A little of both is definitely the way to go," she agrees. "I always wanted to own a tavern and now me and my brothers have this place and I have to work at it !  Keeps me honest."
~Tic Hucklebuckle
 NPC e, 3 posts
 Hunter and Tracker
 Domitius Companion
Mon 29 Jun 2020
at 23:46
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"You have done well, it's a nice place and I see the town bigwigs are regulars." he nodded over towards the Bishop and Mayor.  "Still it's your job to hang around in a bar, what do you do for fun in Tusk?  It's my first time here in the city."
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 49 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Tue 30 Jun 2020
at 13:05
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Well ... a lot of people come here," Berta manages to keep a straight face as she sings the praises of the Dragon's Den"There's good ale, good food, good entertainment.  Later on there'll be musicians up on the stage - we've even had the Mayor take a turn ... and not just because he's the mayor - he's can carry a fine tune."

"I'd come here even if I didn't have to !"
~Tic Hucklebuckle
 NPC e, 4 posts
 Hunter and Tracker
 Domitius Companion
Tue 30 Jun 2020
at 13:19
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Tic nods "What about dancing, I'll bet by Chaldira you can dance up a storm when the music starts to play.  Or is it more of a sitting back listening kind of thing?"  he finishes the first mug of ale "Now that is good, I'll have another and one for you too, I'm Tic by the way?"
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 50 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Tue 30 Jun 2020
at 14:42
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"I'll dance with a blade, but not else," Berta smiles.  "My brothers reckon between my dancing and my singing I'd scare all the paying customers away.  But I'll keep the beat on a drum when called for.  I'm good at hitting things."

"But when there's a lively tune you'll find someone to dance with," she agrees.

She pours Tic another drink, but refuses his kind offer with a smile.  "Not when they've got me working.  I'm Berta."
~Tic Hucklebuckle
 NPC e, 5 posts
 Hunter and Tracker
 Domitius Companion
Wed 1 Jul 2020
at 04:52
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Tic gave a slight sigh but smiled "Well Berta I'm pleased to meet you, now when do you finish so I can buy you that drink."  he said with a friendly wink.  "Even family has to let you have some play time."
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 51 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Wed 1 Jul 2020
at 14:27
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Berta grins broadly.  "I never plan that far ahead !  And I've my reputation to think of - if I accept a drink from you, my regulars will think I'm going soft and next time they won't leave so politely when I ask them and I'll have to break something !"
~Tic Hucklebuckle
 NPC e, 6 posts
 Hunter and Tracker
 Domitius Companion
Thu 2 Jul 2020
at 00:51
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Tic nodded "Well if that's the case, I understand.  We could always go to Keira's place, Domitius said I should drop in and see what the place is like.  You could come along and give me your professional opinion." he smiles "and there are no brother's around to cramp your style." he gives Berta an innocent look followed by a cheeky smike.
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 52 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Thu 2 Jul 2020
at 13:38
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Well aren't you the charmer ?!" Berta laughs at the sheer cheek and persistence displayed by the Halfling.

"Sorry, Tic, you picked a loser.  Nobody asks me out.  It's rumoured that I might occasionally do the asking, but I'm pretty confident there's no one left alive who can collaborate that."

The innocent look just doesn't work on Berta's face, though she gives it a go.
~Tic Hucklebuckle
 NPC e, 7 posts
 Hunter and Tracker
 Domitius Companion
Thu 2 Jul 2020
at 14:01
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Tic chuckles, "Well you can't blame a fella for trying, still I accept your invitation.  Where are you taking me." he says with another cheeky grin.  "A ride in the hinterlands could be fun." the innocent look returned.
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 54 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Thu 2 Jul 2020
at 14:14
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"I lay blame where I choose, and curse any who say otherwise !" Berta snorts with laughter.  "But you be sure to enjoy your ride around the wild lands - you can tell me all about it when you get back."

"If you get back," the smile is gone now. "I've heard it is rough out there.  If you do ride out then take care."
~Tic Hucklebuckle
 NPC e, 8 posts
 Hunter and Tracker
 Domitius Companion
Thu 2 Jul 2020
at 15:24
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"I have been hunting in these parts for years, I'm always careful.  My family has been in the area since we escaped Cheliax when I was a little fella."  he took a long drink "Thank the gods we all got out, I shudder to think what life would be like if we hadn't.  he takes another drink finishing his second "Take that Old Scratch freedom for all my kin."
DM
 GM, 3790 posts
Thu 2 Jul 2020
at 15:31
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Further along the bar a customer asks one of the other waiting staff for six pints of Poachers Pale, and heads back to his table, balancing a tray full of beer.
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 55 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Sun 5 Jul 2020
at 14:53
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"We Roths are relative newcomers," Berta confides to Tic, "but like most of those who have  come here, trying to move on from what lies behind us."

The call for another half dozen pints takes Berta away from the Halfling as she fills the glasses and watches with some concern the progress of the customer with the laden tray as he navigates the Inn's common room.
DM
 GM, 4190 posts
Sun 8 Nov 2020
at 21:12
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
It's a new day in the Dragon's Den.  The floors have been swept, last night's rubbish has been cleared away, and the bar  has been polished.

The common room is scattered with tables, there are a couple of semi-private  booths with bench seating - and a stage for  musicians and other performers.  As always it is an open stage, and anyone (with an appropriate skill) is welcome to take a turn.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:15, Sun 08 Nov 2020.

~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 71 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Sun 22 Nov 2020
at 13:36
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Berta prowls the floor of the Inn, her usual swagger evident in her step as she surveys her domain, stopping to banter with, greet or, occasionally, scare the paying guests as the mood takes her.

"Alisa and Domitius's wedding ?" she smiles. "Yeah, I was there.  For the ceremony at least.  Funny thing - most weddings end with a fight, not start with one !"  She snorts in laughter.

"Not the reception, though - far too formal for my blood.  Imagine me in one of those posh frocks !" This from a woman who feels woefully under-dressed when she doesn't have at least one blade close to hand.  "Wished the pair of them all the happiness they can find."

"Besides someone had to keep an eye on you sots !"
~Gedd
 NPC p, 23 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Sun 22 Nov 2020
at 15:07
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Just for a moment the Dragons Den is relatively quiet and Ged can step away from the bar. He walks over to Berta trying to hide a grin.

"You missed a great joke last night, Berta. There was a grumpy old dwarf in here for a while. I didn't catch his name but we got chatting for a while and he really brightened up when I told him about those three shades of dwarven ale we found out about back home - dark, darker and darkest. He took quite a shine to me after that. In the end he said the funniest thing I ever heard; he reckoned I've got more charisma than the rest of our family put together! Gods, how I laughed! I wish Wyn had heard that one. The look on his face would have been priceless."
_ Wyn Roth
 NPC, 28 posts
 Co-Owner: Dragons Den
 in Tusk
Sun 22 Nov 2020
at 16:07
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Wyn sees his brother walk across to Berta, a grin plastered all over his face, a wonders what they are plotting now.  When it is quiet and those two get bored ....

Making his way across, Wyn slaps his brother on the shoulder, "What gives?" he asks cheerfully.
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 72 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Mon 23 Nov 2020
at 12:24
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Berta grins broadly at Gedd's recounting of the previous evening.  "Of course he would say that," she tells her younger brother fondly, "you are the baby of the family after all !"

"We've got to get some Dwarven Ale in or brew our own," she suggests to Wyn smiling at her elder brother in turn.  "We'd sell a bucketload."
~Gedd
 NPC p, 24 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Mon 23 Nov 2020
at 13:28
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"You remember those dwarves back home had dark ale, darker ale and darkest ale, right?" Gedd asked his brother. "I was wondering if we could brew something like that over here. The dark ale, I mean - the darker ale was scary stuff and we'd probably be arrested if we started selling the darkest.

"Do you remember when one of Henry's expeditions fetched some sort of special mushroom from the Mudbowl? It sounded like there was lots of weird fungi over there, with a proper monster guarding it. I'd wager a hundred gold there's something there that'd give a good, honest, dark ale the kind of kick that Dwarven Dark Ale had."

_ Wyn Roth
 NPC, 29 posts
 Co-Owner: Dragons Den
 in Tusk
Mon 23 Nov 2020
at 13:43
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"What?  The darkest dark ale?"  Win looks agog at the suggestion, "And are you suggesting that we make it here? in Tusk?"

Then a moment or two later he looks at the pair sideways  "You two are planning a little trip down there?  Aren't you?"
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 74 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Mon 23 Nov 2020
at 13:56
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"There's no actual law against brewing the Darkest Ale," Berta points out.  "At least not yet ... unless the authorities classify it as a poison.  Or taste it ..."

"The hallucinations don't last that long !"
~Gedd
 NPC p, 25 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Mon 23 Nov 2020
at 14:55
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Gedd grinned a very toothy smile.

"No, not the Darkest. Not yet. Maybe never. Just the Dark Ale for starters," he clarified. "There'd certainly be a market for it here. I think the brewing of it had something to do with Shadowrock, didn't it? We don't have anything like that here, at least not that I've heard of. But some of those mushrooms just might do the trick.

"The catch is that monster down at the Mudbowl. It's definitely dangerous but there's a rumour that if that monster gets killed, the mushrooms will die out too. So getting our hands on a good range of those mushrooms to experiment with will be difficult enough in the first place and ongoing supply would be quite a challenge, as well."

~Darius
 NPC e, 20 posts
 Scribe, Carouser
 Marik's Advocate
Mon 23 Nov 2020
at 15:10
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Darius walked into Dragon's Den with a rolled up piece of parchment and small bag slung over his shoulder. It wasn't odd to see Darius at the Den throughout the day; he was known to enjoy his ale, good company, and a catchy tune. With a nod to the proprietors he latched onto the few words he heard as he entered, "Where are we going?" And with a smile he turned to Berta, "Looking lovely as always."
_ Wyn Roth
 NPC, 30 posts
 Co-Owner: Dragons Den
 in Tusk
Mon 23 Nov 2020
at 15:12
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Wyn breathes a sigh of relief, although he isn't sure about brewing narcotic ale -  at any strength.  Still, an experiment or two won't hurt , "So  are you two planning a trip down there, or were you intending to hire someone?"
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 75 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Mon 23 Nov 2020
at 22:17
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
For a moment Berta considers it, raising a speculative eye at Gedd  ... then sighs and shakes her head.  "I must be getting old," she moans.  "No, we should hire someone," she tells Wyn, looking as though she finds the very words distasteful.

"And you just put that chair down Yon Famerson !  Don't make me come over there !"

She glares over her brothers' shoulders at the unruly patron.
_ Wyn Roth
 NPC, 30 posts
 Co-Owner: Dragons Den
 in Tusk
Tue 24 Nov 2020
at 15:39
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Err ... I don't think we are going anywhere, Darius." Wyn responds to the young man.  "We have an inn to run now!  He says with a sharp look towards his brother.  "Gedd was just reminiscing about something that happened a long time ago, in a very different place."

This message was lightly edited by the player at 15:39, Tue 24 Nov 2020.

~Gedd
 NPC p, 26 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Tue 24 Nov 2020
at 13:15
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"No, not yet anyway," Gedd agreed with a twinkle in his eye.

"I might put the word out, though, that we'd be interested in buying any samples of mushrooms retrieved from the Mud Bowl. Someone's bound to visit the place again eventually."
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 77 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Tue 24 Nov 2020
at 14:08
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Tell them we're buying and you can win any wager the place will be overrun by morning !" Berta snorts.

"I'm watching you Yon Farme ... oh, you just wanted an extra chair.  That's alright then ..." she lets him off this time.

Matters there sorted to her satisfaction, the warrior-woman now turns her attention to Darius, eyes narrowing, ignoring the pleasantry.  The man is pretty enough for her tastes, pretty enough to stand out in this crowd, but spoils it by being what she terms 'friendly', or at least that's the word she chooses to use in polite company or what passes for such around here.

"We are staying right here," Berta tells him sternly.  "And we are keeping our hands to ourselves if we know what is good for us."
~Darius
 NPC e, 23 posts
 Scribe, Carouser
 Marik's Advocate
Tue 24 Nov 2020
at 18:25
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"We're staying here?" Darius asks with a sly grin. "Wonderful, that means we get to spend more quality time together," he adds with a wink to Berta. He carries his things to a nearby table and starts to roll out the parchment, which appears to be the start of a rather nice looking map of Midmarch.

After taking a seat, he turns to Gedd, "So what's so special about these mushrooms coming from the Mud Bowl? Maybe I could help you acquire some, that is kind of what I do."
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 78 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Wed 25 Nov 2020
at 12:39
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"I hope he's already got a site for his grave marked out on that map," Berta rumbles, leaving Gedd to talk to Darius as she goes looking for trouble elsewhere in the common room.
_ Wyn Roth
 NPC, 31 posts
 Co-Owner: Dragons Den
 in Tusk
Wed 25 Nov 2020
at 12:49
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Wyn looks at Gedd expectantly.  After all, he is the charming one, who knows all about dark beers and mushrooms.  Wyn's hearing might be just a bit  better than he admits to.
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 79 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Wed 25 Nov 2020
at 13:10
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Give me a couple of bottles of the Darkest Ale to share at the next council meeting and we wouldn't have a problem getting a licence for it.  They'll be begging us to brew it.  I'd probably be anointed Queen of Midmarch by the end of the proceedings ..." Berta continues to mutter crossly as she looks for a patron to accost.
~Gedd
 NPC p, 27 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Wed 25 Nov 2020
at 14:37
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Gedd sits down with Darius to talk about mushrooms and dark ale. Darius's map certainly helps with the explanations.

"There's a strange old woman who the locals here call the Swamp Witch, who lives in a hut on the western side of the Tuskwater. She doesn't welcome visitors but will trade potions for black rattlecap mushrooms from the Mud Bowl, which is over on the eastern side of the Tuskwater. One of Lord Henry's exploration expeditions sailed over to the Mud Bowl and came back with one of those black rattlecap mushrooms. That's all they managed to get because the Mud Bowl is guarded by some sort of giant plant monster, or something like that. Anyway, they reported there were lots of different sorts of exotic mushrooms and toadstools in the Mud Bowl. But the catch is this - rumour says if the guardian monster is killed the mushrooms won't grow there anymore.

"As I was saying earlier, back home where we came from the dwarves used to brew three strengths of dark ale - dark, darker and darkest - with progressively stronger mind-bending side effects. One mug of their Dark Ale could knock you on your ear if you couldn't handle it, but I reckon there would be a good market for that if we could brew something like it here. Just the Dark Ale, mind, not the Darker Ale or the Darkest Ale.

"We don't have the key ingredient they used - something called shadowrock - but everyone's heard rumours about 'magic' mushrooms, right? Well, I'd bet some of those mushrooms from the Mud Bowl could give the right sort of kick to an ordinary dark ale to make it into something close to proper Dwarven Dark Ale. So, I would love to get hold of a good range of samples from the Mud Bowl so we can experiment with them over at our brewery."

~Darius
 NPC e, 25 posts
 Scribe, Carouser
 Marik's Advocate
Thu 3 Dec 2020
at 23:02
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Hmm, well that is a quandary, isn't it," Darius asked as he rubbed his chin. "I'm sure you could commission some of these adventuring types to go get you some mushrooms, but you'd have to be careful they're not the kill first, ask questions later type if the rumors about the monster are true. And even if they did get ahold of some, what you really need is to setup a routine shipment of them. I wonder if anyone's tried to communicate with this plant monster, maybe try to establish an agreement of some sort? Maybe commission one of those druid types to go there and sort something out?"

He shrugs as he looks down at the map for moment, "Otherwise, maybe ask some of the dwarves that have migrated here? I know a couple pretty well, maybe you could setup a shipment of this shadowrock with them?"
_ Wyn Roth
 NPC, 32 posts
 Co-Owner: Dragons Den
 in Tusk
Fri 4 Dec 2020
at 08:05
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Wyn rolls his eyes.
~Gedd
 NPC p, 28 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Fri 4 Dec 2020
at 14:03
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Gedd grinned at Darius's suggestions and Wyn's reaction.

"One step at a time. I just want samples of those mushrooms to start with. I am only going on a hunch at this stage. Maybe none of them will work the way I hope. Perhaps someone who is sailing past the Mudbowl will visit and grab some samples for me. I'm not talking about a big enough reward to make it worthwhile funding an expedition just for that purpose.

"Forget I mentioned shadowrock at all. It is too far away to be economical to start shipping it here, and that stuff is too dangerous anyway."

Rana Nervetti
 player, 72 posts
 Tavern wench? Perhaps not
 Current AC = 16
Wed 30 Dec 2020
at 20:00
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Rana finally had an opportunity to explore Tusk.  She hadn't had a plan when she got up in the morning, except to get a feel for this city where she had ended up.  It was a long way from the mountains of her home and the relative flatness of the land made her somewhat uncomfortable, but she was certain that, in time, she would begin to get used to it.

Rana was dressed sensibly in what at first glance looked like a long skirt but was, in fact, high-waisted, wide-legged trousers which she paired with a long-sleeved blouse, her sturdy and well-broken in boots and her travellers' cloak.  Everything she wore had a "worn well" look, but it was all clean and free of any rips, tears or patches.

The young woman didn't feel uncomfortable walking around on her own, exploring the roads and stopping in at most of the businesses she passed so she knew who sold what and where she would be able to find things when she needed them.  She chatted amiably with the owners / staff of the various businesses trying to learn as much about the people of Tusk as she could.  One of the businesses which had caught her eye was Iomedae's Mission.  She enquired about weapons' training, and then spent about an hour looking at the books in their library. She didn't sign up for training, but she did ask if they could tailor training to suit her inherent lack of martial skill and how much it might cost.

It was getting on to late afternoon and Rana had seen about all that she had the patience for when she decided it might be a good time to stop for something to eat.  Several of the people she had spoken to throughout the day had mentioned the Dragon's Den to her, so she headed into the Merchant District hoping that she'd remembered where she'd seen it earlier in the day.  She paused outside the door, ran her fingers through her hair in an attempt to tame her tresses, then entered the bar.

In some respects it almost felt like coming home, but then, as her eyes adjusted to the light levels, she began to notice the differences.  Still, it was as close to a home feeling as she had since leaving the Stone Climbs.  She walked with assurance to the bar, taking in the people already there.

She caught the bartender's eye and smiled, "May I have a glass of wine, please and can you tell me what is on the menu this evening?"
Marik Aeris
 Player, 335 posts
Wed 30 Dec 2020
at 21:12
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Marik looked up from his table when Rana walked in; it was hard not to notice such an attractive woman entering the Dragons Den alone. The Den wasn't exactly one of his common haunts, but he'd come here to buy a couple of rounds for Alanna and her new husband before ushering them off to the room he'd rented for them at the Mithral Hotel.

Darius had always spoken fondly of the Dragons Den, so Marik had decided to stick around for a while and enjoy the music and try the stew, which he'd decided was surprisingly tasty. Upon hearing Rana's question to the bartender, he offered his own suggestion, "I'd recommend the stew, it's quite good and warms the heart."
~Gedd
 NPC p, 29 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Thu 31 Dec 2020
at 07:19
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
The half-orc behind the bar smiled as the young lady asked about food and drink, but his smile turned into a rather toothy grin (his tusks showing a bit more prominently when he grinned) when Marik offered his suggestion.

"The beef stew is very good," he agreed. "But we also have onion soup, baked fish, roast pork and a good selection of boiled vegetables or salad. There's bread with every meal too, for those who want it. Ask about desserts afterwards, if you're still hungry. Some of our customers insist that different wines go better with different types of foods, so that might weigh on your choice of red or white wine, Miss."
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 81 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Thu 31 Dec 2020
at 07:44
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"... and so I told the guard 'these aren't the druids you're looking for' !" Berta finishes telling her tall tale.  "And by the Mother, the lout believed me !"

"Anyway ... duty calls," the Dragon's resident bouncer (at least for this evening with her younger brother working the bar) vacates her chair to continue her rounds of the common room, giving the newcomer an appraising glance as she does for any she'd not recognise as a regular, and then a nod and a smile as she noted the polite way in which Rana phrased her request.
_ Winnie Roth
 NPC, 35 posts
 Co-Owner: Dragons Den
 in Tusk
Thu 31 Dec 2020
at 08:39
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Don't forget the duck soup." Winnie reminds her brother-in-law, as she makes her  way past the bar area on the way to check on another customer.
Rana Nervetti
 player, 73 posts
 Tavern wench? Perhaps not
 Current AC = 16
Thu 31 Dec 2020
at 08:57
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Rana's smile didn't falter as the half-orc behind the bar grinned.  She looked over at the blonde-haired man who had suggested the stew, nodding to him in acknowledgement before returning her attention to the barman.

"Being new to Tusk and the Dragon's Den, I will take the gentleman's recommendation and have the beef stew this time, with a glass of red wine, I think."  She paused for a moment as the familiarity of the setting helped her to relax.  Her voice softened just slightly as she added, "You have a nice place here, it feels like home."

Her eyes scanned the room, considering the seating options.
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 82 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Thu 31 Dec 2020
at 14:59
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"It is home," Berta smiles warmly, her rounds not perchance bringing her in close proximity to the newomer.

"Pick whatever seat you like," she tells Rana, "I'll make sure you're not disturbed."
Marik Aeris
 Player, 336 posts
Thu 31 Dec 2020
at 15:40
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
As Rana scanned the room, Marik looked up, "If you're not expecting anyone, there is room at my table." He took a small bite from the bowl of stew in front of him. "Your name is Rana, yes? I am Marik Aeris."
~Gedd
 NPC p, 30 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Fri 1 Jan 2021
at 00:16
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Gedd grinned again at Berta's comment and nodded reassuringly to Rana.

He poured a glass of red wine and placed it on the bar in front of her.

"Your stew will be along shortly. We'll make sure it finds you, whichever table you choose."
Rana Nervetti
 player, 74 posts
 Tavern wench? Perhaps not
 Current AC = 16
Fri 1 Jan 2021
at 00:38
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Rana nodded at Gedd, and said a soft "Thank you" to Berta.  Whatever the story was with this tavern, it was a comfortable place where she felt safe.  'Maybe I can find my place in this new-to-me land,' she thought to herself as this was the first time she'd felt truly comfortable in a long while.

Rana picked her glass of wine off the bar, scanned the room once again, then headed for the table where Marik was seated.  She nodded at Marik, then sat down opposite him.

"Thank you for inviting me to join you, Marik.  Although I must admit, it's a bit disconcerting to think you know me, when I'm certain we've not met before."  Rana kept her tone light and amused as she spoke with a smile on her lips and surreptitiously studied her dining companion.
Marik Aeris
 Player, 340 posts
Fri 1 Jan 2021
at 01:03
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Marik smiled warmly at his new dining companion when she took the seat opposite of him. He raised his half full glass of wine in a sort of salute before taking a drink. "l promise it's nothing sinister. My advocate, Darius, lives here in Tusk and makes a point of knowing what's going on and who's here in the city. When he'd heard there was another sorcerer in town, he thought I might like to know; as far as I know you and I are the only ones in all of Midmarch. And let's be honest, even with just a general description, you are quite difficult to miss."
Rana Nervetti
 player, 75 posts
 Tavern wench? Perhaps not
 Current AC = 16
Fri 1 Jan 2021
at 05:37
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Rana listened to Marik's explanation of how he knew who she was as she watched him closely.  Her left eyebrow raised slightly as he named her a sorcerer, and then she could feel her face flush slightly in self-consciousness at his subtle flattery.  She averted her gaze for a moment, then raised her glass to him in salute.

"You are too kind, I think, but I thank you for the compliment.  However, it is still a bit disconcerting to know that someone in your employ has heard of me and my ability."  She frowned slightly at this thought, but continued, "It isn't something that I am used to discussing, if I'm honest.  It is just something that is, if you know what I mean.  I am an anomaly in my family and no one has been able to explain why to me."

Her brown eyes caught Marik's blue ones, and held the gaze unwaveringly.  "Does that make sense?"
Marik Aeris
 Player, 341 posts
Fri 1 Jan 2021
at 18:34
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Marik shrugs slightly, "I am continually amazed with the kind of information Darius is able to accumulate. If I had to guess, he overheard someone talking about something they heard you did on a recent adventure. Darius is also an arcanist, having attended a magical academy himself, so he would recognize certain clues that others might miss."

As she continued, he set his glass down and pulled his chair slightly closer to the table, offering her his full attention, "I understand completely. My gifts first manifested when I was 15 years old, and I had no idea what was going on. Honestly, pretty much everything I know I learned through trial and error, so I figured if there was anything I could do to help, or just explain things, then I should."
Rana Nervetti
 player, 76 posts
 Tavern wench? Perhaps not
 Current AC = 16
Fri 1 Jan 2021
at 21:16
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Rana relaxed a bit as she and Marik were talking.  She didn't really talk about her gift with people, especially someone that she just met; however, it felt like maybe she needed to talk about it so that she could progress and learn to direct her ability, rather than letting it lead her.

"I don't even know what questions to ask, Marik. My parents couldn't offer much in the way of advice because, as I like to say, we are a family with a distinctively average lineage." Her eyes held a spark of amusement as she spoke, a sign that she was becoming slightly more comfortable with the idea of talking about magic.

"I know that there are people, like Darius I suppose, who actually study magic or arcane arts, but for people like us it seems a bit hit or miss when it comes to learning spells.  I mean, I've heard of spell books that others can use, but that doesn't make any sense to me at all."
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 83 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Sat 2 Jan 2021
at 04:32
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Loitering by the bar within earshot of Marik and Rana's conversation, even as she scans the Dragon with narrowed eyes for any sign of trouble to pounce upon, Berta permits herself a small smile, raising a brow at Gedd, leaning over to whisper in her younger brother's ear. 

"I'll take the stew over when it's ready," she winks at him.
~Gedd
 NPC p, 31 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Sat 2 Jan 2021
at 14:23
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Gedd chuckled at whatever Berta had said, and whispered something back to her.
Marik Aeris
 Player, 343 posts
Sun 3 Jan 2021
at 16:14
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Marik nods as he listens to Rana, "Well, the fact that you have these gifts tells me that your lineage is not quite as average as you believe." He takes another sip from his wine. "As you said, wizards learn their magic through years of study and intense practice; thank the gods that doesn't apply to us, I was never a good student," he says with a self-deprecating smile. "No, for us, magic literally courses through our veins. In my case," he starts and then leans in a little closer and whispers, "my bloodline has a history with a djinni some generations past, which is why much of my magic is focused around lightning and the air."

He leans back and raises his voice back to a normal volume, "The magic just comes naturally to us. Which of course is easier, but it also means that we can't choose our arcane arts the way a wizard can. We are sort of stuck with what we get. What about you? Have you noticed any particular peculiarities with you magic? Perhaps a proclivity to a certain kind of magic, or perhaps physical quirks? Once you understand your bloodline, it becomes easier to understand the rest."
Rana Nervetti
 player, 78 posts
 Tavern wench? Perhaps not
 Current AC = 16
Sun 3 Jan 2021
at 16:33
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Rana sat forward in her chair as Marik spoke, considering what he said, her eyes wide and attentive.  Her fingers tapped nervously at the table as she thought on his words.

"I asked my parents and they both have said that there has been nothing so out of the ordinary in either of their families.  At least nothing that anyone has ever spoken of,"  she shrugged slightly, "But I suppose there could be something that no one ever has talked about.  Lots of families keep secrets, or so I believe."

She took a sip of her wine as she pondered on whether or not there seemed to be a pattern to what she could do, or any hints as to where her powers came from.  "There was one thing that my mam ever said was odd about my birth and that was the night I was born the stars seemed to be flying in the skies.  I don't know if that means anything to you, but I never gave it much thought.  At the moment my spells just seem to be really useful ones, nothing overly keyed to one thing or another."

Rana let her eyes scan the room for a moment before adding quietly, "There have been dreams, or visions, on occasion where I see, or sense, a shooting star and can almost here a voice, but I don't really remember what is said."  She smiled shyly and shrugged her shoulders again.
Marik Aeris
 Player, 346 posts
Sun 3 Jan 2021
at 16:49
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Marik looks up to the ceiling for a moment, thinking about what Rana had just said. "Well, it is possible that the magic is not from a familial bloodline, but rather from some auspicious event that occurred. Perhaps a family member or distant relative was touched by something arcane, or perhaps it was this strange behavior of the stars at your birth. That, and these dreams you say you have are likely connected." He takes another sip of his wine, finishing the glass. "In fact, if I had to guess, your arcane gifts are likely connected to the stars in some way. I'm no expert, but I expect if we did some research we could help you understand this better."
Rana Nervetti
 player, 79 posts
 Tavern wench? Perhaps not
 Current AC = 16
Sun 3 Jan 2021
at 17:05
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Rana nodded briefly as Marik voices his thoughts.

"I would love to learn where and how I've come by my abilities, which is why I left home.  And I'd be happy for some help in trying to figure me out."  She paused and sipped at her wine, then changed the topic of conversation.  "Where are you from, Marik?  I am from Stone Climb in the Icerime Peaks.  Not all that far from Skywatch.  Have you heard of it?"
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 84 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Mon 4 Jan 2021
at 12:49
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"You want another ?" Berta calls over to Marik, noting his empty wine glass.  "Same again, or ... ?"
Marik Aeris
 Player, 347 posts
Mon 4 Jan 2021
at 15:33
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Another of the same," Marik said in response to Berta, acutely aware of how much attention she was giving their table. he then turned back to Rana, "I've heard of Stoneclimb, but never been there. And Skywatch? It's an ancient observatory, right? Supposedly built by giants or something? Sorry, I'm not much of a scholar," he adds with a small chuckle.

"As for me, I was born on the docks of New Stetven. My mother was...well let's just say that my mother worked the docks, or more specifically the sailors, and I was never quite sure who my father was. As I mentioned previously, I was 15 when my gifts first manifested; I was being bullied by some rich merchant kids, and when I yelled 'STOP' at them, they did and then started running away. I asked my mother, and she had some ideas as to where the gifts might come from, but we'll save that for a later date and somewhere," he glanced towards the bar where Berta was, "less public, if you don't mind."
Rana Nervetti
 player, 83 posts
 Tavern wench? Perhaps not
 Current AC = 16
Mon 4 Jan 2021
at 16:11
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Rana listened to Marik's history, her expression was one of interest although she was somewhat saddened that he had been bullied, but happy to know that he'd found a way out of it.  Her heart did a bit of a happy dance at the thought of another meeting with Marik, but she quashed any sentimental thoughts as she had only just met him and didn't know him at all.

Taking another sip of her wine, Rana let her eyes move from Marik to Berta and Ged and then back to her dinner companion.  As a lone female customer, new to the area, she was happy for the feeling that there was someone 'watching out for her', but she also understood that some conversations were better spoken in private.

She leaned forward in her chair as she began to speak about her favourite subject - Skywatch.  "I am not a scholar, by anyone's reckoning, but having lived so close to Skywatch, and my parents owning a tavern in Stone Climb, I heard all kinds of tales of the place and the mystery of it.  It fascinated me as a child and when my abilities began to manifest, it was like I couldn't help myself learning as much as I could about it."  Her eyes widened and seemed to sparkle as she continued with what she knew of the tale of Skywatch.

"You are right, there is an observatory in Skywatch that no one knows who built it.  The outpost of Skywatch first was settled by House Surtova so they could study the observatory.  Then several years later, Choral the Conqueror razed the outpost to the ground.  It had something to do with Aldori things, which I don't really understand."  She smiled and rolled her eyes at the thought of trying to figure out the Aldori.  "Later House Rogarvia, excavated and researched the observatory  and built the modern city of Skywatch atop the original settlement's burnt ruins.  Apparently all was right with Skywatch until every member of House Rogarvia disappeared.  At that point, Skywatch sealed itself off from all outsiders and since that day, no message sent to Skywatch has received a response and even powerful divination magic fails to penetrate the city's ancient walls."

Rana reached for her glass, sat back and sipped the wine.  She couldn't remember the last time she had actually had a discussion with someone.  Although, perhaps she was boring Marik which sometimes could happen when she got over-enthusiastic about something.

"I'm sorry Marik, I do tend to go on a bit about Skywatch.  It's a mystery and I dearly would love to solve it, but that isn't going to happen unless and until I can understand my gifts and get better at using them."  Resolved to stop speaking, she smiled at the man across the table from her as she took another sip of wine.
Marik Aeris
 Player, 349 posts
Mon 4 Jan 2021
at 18:52
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Marik leaned forward, mirroring Rana's movement, as she began to speak about Skywatch. His smile brightened as the sparkle in her eye made it clear this was a topic of extreme interest to her. He listened intently, tilting his head slightly as he considered her words, and what the connection between the closing of Skywatch and the disappearance of House Rogarvia might mean.

When she stopped, he smiled warmly and gently raised his hand in protest, "Please don't apologize. It is quite refreshing to be able to talk to someone so passionate about something so interesting. I hope you don't mind me saying, but the way your eyes light up when you speak about it draws me in and makes you even more beautiful. I must say, it makes me want to learn even more," he says with a lopsided grin. "I wonder if there is a connection between the circumstances of your birth and its proximity to Skywatch. Perhaps there is a reason for your passion beyond simple curiosity?"

He leans back, "I must say, it is a mystery I would very much enjoy helping you solve, if you're interested. But as you said, the first step is helping you understand your gift and where it came from."
Rana Nervetti
 player, 85 posts
 Tavern wench? Perhaps not
 Current AC = 16
Mon 4 Jan 2021
at 19:13
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Rana could feel her face redden at Marik's kind words, but a smile touched her lips, nonetheless.  She knew she was attractive, but it still made her uncomfortable when people commented on it.  Much like her magic, it was just something that was and she didn't give it much thought ... until someone commented on it.

"I suppose there could be a connection to Skywatch that I don't know about.  Skywatch is maybe two or three days' travel by horse to  Stoneclimb.  Whether its magic could, I don't know, seep that far as to have an affect is something I wouldn't even begin to be able to calculate."  Rana's smile widened as her brain seemed to be puzzling over this new potential puzzle.  "I am always happy to have someone to talk to about Skywatch, and other things," she added softly.
Marik Aeris
 Player, 350 posts
Tue 5 Jan 2021
at 22:21
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Well I am at your disposal," Marik said with a warm smile, "and I truly enjoy your company. It's also nice to finally have someone to talk to that can understand what it's like to be a sorcerer. So how long have you been here in Midmarch? Have you had any grand adventures since you've been here?"
Rana Nervetti
 player, 86 posts
 Tavern wench? Perhaps not
 Current AC = 16
Wed 6 Jan 2021
at 08:55
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"I have only recently arrived in Midmarch with a couple of others who I had met in Stoneclimb.  One of them, Vova, runs around with a peacock and, well, is often drunk, so I'm sure you'll come across him at some point." She paused for a beat, "Probably in a ditch somewhere sleeping off his excesses.  The other, Khora, is a half-orc whom I believe lived further up the Icerime Peaks.  There have been no adventures as yet, grand or otherwise.  And, to be honest," Rana lowered her voice slightly, and shrugged, "I'm not convinced that I'm really cut out to be an adventurer, but, nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose."

Her eyes reconnected with Marik's, "And what of you?  How long have you been in Midmarch? And have you had any grand adventures?"
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 85 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Wed 6 Jan 2021
at 14:04
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Berta looks over her shoulder, nodding at her younger brother as she points a finger towards Marik.  "Another of the same, please," she grins.

Lifting the glass with practiced ease, the warrior-woman brings it over to the table where Rana and Marik are deep in discussion, smiling at the handsome young man as she proffers his glass with due ceremony, placing it on the table as she scoops up the empty vessel.

"Food won't be long," she assures the equally attractive woman, "then I'll leave you both in peace."

Winking at the pair, Berta snaps her fingers, causing the glass in her hand to suddenly glow like a torch.  Nodding in satisfaction she heads back to the bar to pass it over to Gedd.
~Gedd
 NPC p, 32 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Wed 6 Jan 2021
at 16:13
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Gedd holds up the glowing glass that Berta handed him, looks closely at it then carries the empty glass back to the table. With due ceremony he recites a mystic phrase then gently taps the glowing glass against Marik's full wineglass, instantly causing that wineglass to glow as well. The ripples on the surface of the wine reflect ripples of light onto the ceiling above the table.

Gedd stares appreciatively at the light display for a moment then looks over at a nearby beam where a black raven is perched in the shadows.

"Do you like that too, duNoir?" he asks the raven.

The raven launches itself off the beam and glides down to land on the table, where it taps the wineglass with its beak, setting off another series of ripples in the wine.

"Very pretty!" the raven agrees. Then with a quick flap of its wings it flies up to land on Gedd's shoulder.
_ Wyn Roth
 NPC, 33 posts
 Co-Owner: Dragons Den
 in Tusk
Wed 6 Jan 2021
at 16:43
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Oh come now.  That is not at all fair," Win says, as he walks past the table and sees his siblings displays, "You have left the lady at a disadvantage."  Reaching out he adjusts Rana glass slightly, and that too starts to glow brightly.  "That's better." he says with a knowing look at his siblings, before he continues on his way to the stage area and starts to adjust the chairs.
Rana Nervetti
 player, 87 posts
 Tavern wench? Perhaps not
 Current AC = 16
Wed 6 Jan 2021
at 17:06
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Rana smiled and nodded at Berta, her eyes widening slightly as the other woman caused the glass to glow. She glanced at Marik, an eyebrow raised in query.  However, before she could say anything the large bartender approached with the still glowing glass and made Marik's glass glow as well and then the bird landed on their table and spoke!  Her eyes widened and her jaw drop opened slightly but then her eyes moved to catch Ged's gaze and then the newcomer's gaze as well.

"It certainly adds to the ambience."  She said with a smile and a note of appreciation.  "Thank you."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:17, Wed 06 Jan.

_ Winnie Roth
 NPC, 36 posts
 Co-Owner: Dragons Den
 in Tusk
Wed 6 Jan 2021
at 17:27
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Winnie scowls and grabs two fresh glasses an a bottle of their best wine.  "Sometimes they're like children." She says placing the bottle and glasses on the table.  "Your dinner and drinks are on the house." She says collecting up the glowing glasses and scowling at the siblings once more.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:40, Wed 06 Jan.

Marik Aeris
 Player, 353 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2021
at 18:15
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Marik smiled, enjoying the little show and nodded in response to Rana's comment. When Winnie came to the table he greeted her with a soft smile, "It's not a problem, who knew we'd get dinner and a show? But in any case, thank you."

As she walks off, he takes the bottle of wine and fills one of the glasses and hands it to Rana, and then fills the other for himself. He then takes a sip, savoring the taste for a moment before putting his glass back down on the table.

"Now, where were we?" He asks with a playful smile. "Ah, yes. How long have I been here? Wow, well a few years now, I arrived shortly after Tusk had been taken from a bandit lord and began its slow march to this wonderful city we now have. As for adventures, I've seen my share," he says with a playful smirk. He takes another sip of wine and continues, "I was a part of the expedition that rid the kobolds of Sootscale of their enemies, a settlement of mites, and negotiated peace with them; this is why I now own exclusive trading rights with Sootscale in perpetuity. I've also traveled East to the Tors of Levenies, the large mountain range to the East. Let's see, we fought a roc, a family of cyclops, and I'm sure some other creatures I can't remember."

He paused to take a breath, and another sip of wine. "And most recently we've traveled out to Varnhold, and even met with a tribe of centaurs. It's all quite exciting, and I'm certain you will prove up to the challenge. Besides, I have found for people like us, it's adventure and conflict that help us grow and better understand our gifts. Unlike wizards, no amount of poring over dusty books will increase our abilities."
Rana Nervetti
 player, 89 posts
 Tavern wench? Perhaps not
 Current AC = 16
Wed 6 Jan 2021
at 19:31
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Rana wore a quizzical look on her face as the glowing glasses were quickly replaced, whatever was going on with the tavern's owners, it was both amusing and something that was unexpected.
After their glasses were replaced and Marik filled her new glass with more wine, she sat forward, her elbows on the table and attentive to what he was saying.

When Marik finished talking, she sat up, reached for her glass, taking a sip of the wine as she considered her words.  "I'm not sure I have your confidence in my ability, yet, but hopefully that will grow in time.  It sounds like you have done well with your adventures and have seen things that I can only imagine - centaur, a roc and kobolds.  But, peace with Kobolds?  You trust them?  I thought they were evil creatures?  And what kinds of things do kobolds have to trade?"
Marik Aeris
 Player, 355 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2021
at 21:30
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Marik shrugged, "Kobolds are evil by nature, but honestly these kobolds in particular, the Sootscales, really just want to be left alone. When we first traveled to their home as it were, I had noticed an old sign for a silver mine. In turns out the kobolds had been living in a silver mine for quite some time and nobody was aware. With the help of Pekwik, a kobold I befriended and who now is in my employ, and my chancellor Alanna, we helped the kobolds ensure the mine was safe and then taught them how to mine the silver. In return, I serve as an emissary if you will between them and us 'big folk', and get the benefits of exclusive trade with them."

He takes another sip of his wine and leans back in his chair, "As for confidence, that will come as you better understand, and feel more comfortable with, your gifts. Which is something we can work on together, if you wish. As for my success, fortune favors the bold as they say. I never intended to claim all of the mineral resources in Midmarch, but after setting up the deal with the Sootscales, it just seemed to make sense. You just have to be open to opportunities as they present themselves and use your best judgement."
Rana Nervetti
 player, 90 posts
 Tavern wench? Perhaps not
 Current AC = 16
Wed 6 Jan 2021
at 21:55
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Rana nodded as Marik expanded on his relationship with the kobolds.  "You are right, Marik.  I suppose kobolds can vary as much as humans, or elves, or dwarves or anyone else.  I should try to remember that.  And I will also try to remember to be open to opportunities if and when they present themselves, as well as, I suppose, recognising that there might be an opportunity where I wouldn't expect to find one."

Whether it was the warmth in the room or the fact that Rana had been drinking with no food in her stomach since lunchtime, she could feel a flush of colour in her cheeks.  "I think I would like to spend more time with you, trying to understand my gifts," she added softly.
Marik Aeris
 Player, 357 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2021
at 23:16
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Marik smiles and raises his glass in a toast, "That's good to hear, I would like to spend more time with you as well, helping you understand your gifts...or just enjoying your company," he added with a wink as he took a sip from his glass.

He placed his glass back on the table and leaned forward slightly, "So now that you've finally made it to the famed City of Tusk," he says with a big grin, "What are your plans? Do you have any ambitions here? Perhaps open an establishment such as this, or perhaps a library? Or travel across Midmarch seeing its wonders and facing down perilous threats," he finishes with a grin.
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 87 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Thu 7 Jan 2021
at 05:00
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
The Dragon's bouncer pulls a 'oops' face as Winnie turns away, but that quickly descends into a broad grin at both of her brothers.  "Might be best if we let Winne serve them," she suggests, "I'll go find someone else to annoy !"

So saying, and with a nod and a warm smile to Marik and Rana, Berta swaggers off on her rounds, spotting a card game at a far table that might benefit from her oversight and helpful observations.
Rana Nervetti
 player, 91 posts
 Tavern wench? Perhaps not
 Current AC = 16
Thu 7 Jan 2021
at 07:31
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Rana felt herself finally relaxing and she smiled at Marik's comment.  She had to admit to herself that she was enjoying Marik's company, even if it was unexpected company.

"I have no plans or ambitions, other than to become the best at what I do.  Owning and running a tavern like this is a lot of hard work and not something I would ever consider doing on my own." Rana paused as she considered Marik's other suggestions.  "A library?  Now that is an interesting thought, especially if I could find books related to Skywatch and magic, however, I don't think I'm ready to settle down that much yet, as I've only just left home to explore the world."

She chuckled to herself then smiled at Marik.  "As far as facing perilous threats, I think I shall start small with minor inconveniences."

As Berta walked by their table, Rana nodded and smiled at the other woman.  It had been slightly odd to see magic used so openly, but, in a way, it was refreshing to know that maybe she, herself, could be slightly less worried about what people would say if they saw her using her own magic.

This message was last updated by the player at 09:22, Thu 07 Jan.

Marik Aeris
 Player, 361 posts
Thu 7 Jan 2021
at 23:05
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Marik nods, "Oh yes, running a place like this is definitely hard work and not for the faint of heart. I know I wouldn't want to do it. But if you do decide at some point that you'd like to open a library or something else, let me know. I am the Laird of New Dawn, so I can make sure you get some prime real estate," he says with a smile as he reaches for his glass and takes another sip of wine.

"But I would say that for now, not having a plan is a very sound plan," he says with a cheeky grin. "And that was exactly my plan when I first arrived. That way you're open for any opportunity that presents itself, no matter how unexpected it might be."
Rana Nervetti
 player, 92 posts
 Tavern wench? Perhaps not
 Current AC = 16
Fri 8 Jan 2021
at 08:14
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Rana kept eye contact with Marik as he talked about New Dawn and his thoughts about her plans.

"New Dawn is a lovely name for a town, it conjures up a really pleasant image.  I would love to visit sometime and, if I think of a business venture that would suit me, your offer is very kind." Again the colour rose slightly in her face as she wasn't quite certain what Marik's intentions were likely to mean, if anything.  However, she was enjoying his company so, at the moment, that was the important thing; especially as she did not have any family or friends near-to-hand.  A friend in this new land would be a boon.

"I've never been known for planning too far in advance, if at all," she admitted with a chuckle.  "I tend to see where the wind takes me, as my mam is fond of saying."

Rana took another sip of her wine as she looked to see if her stew might be arriving any time soon as she was now starting to feel a bit more hungry than when she'd arrived.  "So, Marik, I presume you live in New Dawn.  I am still unsure of where things are in Midmarch and was wondering how far away New Dawn is from Tusk."
Marik Aeris
 Player, 362 posts
Fri 8 Jan 2021
at 14:21
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Thank you," he said as the complimented the name New Dawn. He'd spent a fairly significant amount of time considering an appropriate name for his capital as it were, and he was happy at least someone appreciated it. "And you are welcome to visit any time. We have a nice Road House there, and I am in the process of building a Fortified Villa where you would be more than welcome...in one of the guest rooms of course," he adds with a slight reddening of his cheeks.

He takes a sip of wine in order to calm his thoughts as he considered her visiting him there, and then continued, "But no, I don't currently live there. I maintain a townhouse here in Tusk where I spend most of my time when I'm not adventuring. I've found that much of what happens in Midmarch is discussed and decided upon here in Tusk so it behooves me to be here. With that being said, once the Villa is complete, I will likely be spending more of my time there. But regardless, by horse it takes somewhere between 8-10 hours to make the trip, so it's not unbearable."
~Gedd
 NPC p, 33 posts
 Gedd Roth
 Half-orc archer
Fri 8 Jan 2021
at 15:37
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Gedd spotted movement at the doorway from the kitchen, so he headed over to give the serving girl a hand with the plates.

He lingered briefly after the meal was served.

"I hope we didn't upset you at all with that little light show, earlier," he said, eventually. "It's just that we overheard the comment earlier about you two being the only sorcerers in the city. You may be the strongest, particularly Laird Marik, but you are not alone. My brother and sister and I have different skills but I have inherited enough of our mother's gift to call myself a sorcerer too, although my primary skills and training are as a ranger. duNoir is my familiar. If the Roth family can help you with anything in future, you know where to find us. Now, I will let you enjoy your stew while it is still hot."

With that he withdraws and heads back to the bar.
Rana Nervetti
 player, 93 posts
 Tavern wench? Perhaps not
 Current AC = 16
Fri 8 Jan 2021
at 16:03
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Rana smiled at Gedd as he arrived with her dinner.  "Not bothered at all by the 'light show', Gedd.  It was actually refreshing to see that the use of magic isn't hidden away or something that people are wary of showing.  I'm so new to Tusk that I wouldn't know if everyone here had magic abilities or no one did - it's always good to know that you're not alone with your talents.  Thank you and your family for making me feel welcome.  This place reminds me much of my home."

She waited until Ged had returned to the bar and then Rana returned her attention to Marik.  She smiled and tipped her head at his invitation.  "I think it would be nice to visit New Dawn, and you, at some point when our schedules allow for the time.  I'm not quite sure what I've signed up to, apparently I'm now some interim officer of the Brevic knights, but in fairness a lot of the detail went over my head and seemed quite a lot more formal than things that I've heard about or been around at home."  She coloured slightly at the admission because she didn't want to appear either stupid or too naive.

"It certainly sounds like you have found a place to make a home and a name for yourself, Marik.  I applaud your stick-to-itness.  I have always found it difficult to maintain focus on anything for long periods of time.  But, my da said that when I find what it is I'm supposed to be doing, I'll know it and will stick with it.  Maybe I will find that here in Midmarch or Tusk, or maybe somewhere else in this relatively new land."

She raised her glass to her companion in a silent toast. "Eight to ten hours isn't too bad, depending on the weather, of course.  A nice day out with time for a picnic at lunch." Rana smiled and winked at Marik, surprising herself at her forwardness.  "Definitely must be the wine,' she thought with irony.

She took a spoonful of the stew, blowing gently on it to cool it down slightly before putting it in her mouth.  Rana closed her eyes and a smile adorned her lips as she enjoyed the taste of the stew, and the memories it evoked.  For a moment, she imagined her mam coming out from the kitchen with an apron wrapped around her waist and her hair slightly mussed, it tasted so close to home.  Opening her eyes, she smiled at Marik, "Thank you for the recommendation, this is absolutely perfect!"
Marik Aeris
 Player, 365 posts
Fri 8 Jan 2021
at 19:08
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Marik nods to Gedd, "I stand corrected. I must admit, I have always been a little jealous of those able to form bonds with a familiar. Thank you for the offer, and the stew," he said with a warm smile.

He then turned his attention to Rana, "Ah yes, the Brevic Knights. I am an officer myself, as are most of the adventurers, lords, and ladies here in Tusk, and Midmarch more generally. For the most part it's just a means to ensure you that your actions within Midmarch are sanctioned by Lord leMaistre and that he can count on your loyalty when it becomes necessary. I wouldn't consider it too much of a burden as long as you are willing to swear the oath to him."

As she mentioned his accomplishments, he thought for a second; that hadn't exactly been his goal when his first set off for Midmarch, but he supposed it was true. "You, know, I suppose I have begun to make a home for myself out here, as surprising as that seems to me. I had originally considered my adventures in Midmarch to simply be a means to an end, but I suppose they have proven to be an end to themselves."

As she raised her glass, he did so as well, "Yes, it's not a long trip, and I think a picnic along the way would be a wonderful idea. I can't imagine any better company to do so with," he added with a smile.

"Yes, the stew here is quite good," he said as he began to dig in himself.
Rana Nervetti
 player, 94 posts
 Tavern wench? Perhaps not
 Current AC = 16
Fri 8 Jan 2021
at 19:51
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Rana spent a few quiet and comfortable minutes concentrating on her meal, alternating between spoonsful of stew with dunking fresh bread in the bowl until it was full of the tasty gravy.  She paused to take another sip of her wine and then smiled at Marik.

"If I haven't yet said it, or if I forget to say it before the end of the evening, I just want to thank you for your company.  I am thoroughly enjoying myself."

She held his gaze for a few moments longer, then returned her attention to her dinner.
Marik Aeris
 Player, 366 posts
Fri 8 Jan 2021
at 19:59
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"As am I," Marik said with a smile between bites.

When they'd both finished their dinner and had another glass of wine, he leaned forward slightly in his chair, "Well, I guess I have no other excuses to keep you here any longer," he says with a lopsided smile. "May I walk you home at least?"
Rana Nervetti
 player, 95 posts
 Tavern wench? Perhaps not
 Current AC = 16
Fri 8 Jan 2021
at 20:40
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Rana took the last bit of her bread and sopped up the last of the stew's gravy, then popped it in her mouth, absently licking a stray bit of the gravy from her thumb.  She was feeling quite content and a small frown briefly crossed her lips when Marik suggested that it was time to call it an evening.  However, the frown disappeared quickly to be replaced with a smile.

"For a moment, I forgot that I wasn't home.  I would be happy for you to accompany me  home, although, sadly, home is just the local barracks at the moment." She added the last with a chuckle.  "In fact, if you walk me back, then I won't have to ask for directions.  Things look different at night and I'm not positive that I could find the most direct route back this evening."
Marik Aeris
 Player, 367 posts
Fri 8 Jan 2021
at 21:04
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
"Well, we couldn't have you getting lost," he says with a smile as he stands and offers her his hand. "It's not far, but if you don't know where you're going, it can be a bit confusing."
Rana Nervetti
 player, 96 posts
 Tavern wench? Perhaps not
 Current AC = 16
Fri 8 Jan 2021
at 21:20
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
Rana picked up her cloak, draping it over her shoulders and closing the clasp, then looked around the room, nodding and smiling at Berta and waving a cheery 'good-bye' to Gedd at the bar.  She placed her hand in Marik's, and let him lead the way out of the tavern.  She paused just outside and looked around, trying to get her bearings, before turning with a sheepish grin to Marik.

"I'm afraid I told a slight fib, Marik.  I could probably find my way back to the barracks as I'm staying at the ones in the Keep," she pointed to the structure that stood above the rest of the town.  "Sorry."
~Berta Roth
 NPC p, 89 posts
 Human Female Dragonfriend
 Let's do it my way
Sat 9 Jan 2021
at 13:37
Fuzzy: The Dragons Den
True to her word, Berta had been keeping an eye on the pair and catches Rana's fare-ye-well, pausing in her rounds to raise her hand to wave goodbye.

"Come again !" she calls out, above the clink and clatter of glasses and buzz of conversation, grining broadly as the pair leave hand in hand.