1.2 - Baobab.   Posted by The Herald.Group: 0
Lothi
 An Elf, 43 posts
 Doomed Adventurer Who
 Howls at the Moon
Wed 21 Sep 2016
at 14:57
1.2 - Baobab
Lothi gazes back at Blackstone, an inscrutable look on her face. "And, what, you think this diasporic elf will be received any more warmly? I was driven from my own tribe." She turns and steps forward. "I hear your whispers and your tone. Don't bother talking around it. I am an elf in little more than form now, and I am as eager to rip this place apart and find the answers to its riddles as any of you. No... More eager. So let's go, and kill or capture anything we find." She leaps to a far branch, and continues searching.
Blackstone
 A Monster, 44 posts
 Hideous Explorer Who
 Needs No Weapon
Wed 21 Sep 2016
at 16:25
1.2 - Baobab
"Elf or monster, you're supposed to be the professional tracker. You're capable of vanishing into the woods every night on the expedition out here, bringing back unseen game for our fires. It's your skills that we hope to use as advantage, not your blood." Blackstone hisses back.

He leaps back to his feet, pulling his hood back exposing his scarred, and monstrously deformed face. "Also be GLAD you have a form that won't make children weep, or give them nightmares. Be thankful that you can shed the skin of that Beast inside you. Be happy that you once had a tribe, a family. I never knew such, because I clawed myself from the ruins of an old keep, that was likely burned solely to prevent my creation from happening. My earliest memories are of that very fire.
I've had to live unseen in many cities throughout the decades I've called life. I'll come along and offer my skills at urban tracking, perhaps this tree is too much city for your woodcraft training.
"

Blackstone shoves the pack under the bench with his foot, tears some vines from the nearby hand rail and roughly camouflages the supplies. "We carry too much shit anyway." He turns to the others, "Back here, one hour. Shout if you're in trouble." He takes one more glance at the sun to mark the time before pulling his hood back on and vaulting the rail to the branch below and following Lothi.
Lothi
 An Elf, 44 posts
 Doomed Adventurer Who
 Howls at the Moon
Wed 21 Sep 2016
at 17:11
1.2 - Baobab
"No tracker or hunter will know a city better than its citizens, Blackstone. Safety is in numbers here, not concealment." She knows it's a pointless argument, since he's already along; she argues out of irritation and nerves.

"And yes, you can win if you like. Enjoy the reward for having the shittier life."
Blackstone
 A Monster, 46 posts
 Hideous Explorer Who
 Needs No Weapon
Thu 22 Sep 2016
at 14:06
1.2 - Baobab
Blackstone half sighs, half growls to himself. He was never good at playing nice with people, his attempt to compliment her skills and assure her that she still had the ability to fit in, quickly came to an angry rant, and an insult apparently. Society is complicated, this is why he tries to avoid it.

"Lacking citizens, we'll rely on hunting and tracking. As soon as we find one we can nab him for questioning. If we find a bunch we watch and then try and blend in, do our best not to look like tourists. I'll play your dumb pet ogre if I need to, won't be the first time I've run this scam."

Blackstone begins creeping along 10-15 paces behind Lothi, continuing to look for any evidence of recent residence. Hopefully, his ability of being able to tell which piles of apparent refuse are inhabited and which ones are free for the pilfering will be applicable, despite the differences between these skyways and the back alleys and rooftop slums of the human cities.


Blackstone rolled a 12 on a trained stealth check to move unseen from potential prying eyes.

If his 17 perception is still applicable to finding "nests" in residence, he is also trained in sensing danger in case any of those are occupied.

The Herald
 GM, 63 posts
 Gigantic Melancholies &
 Gigantic Mirth
Mon 31 Oct 2016
at 14:31
1.2 - Baobab
Bitter passions still your tongues as you creep through the boughs seeking a path downward. Blackstone and Lothi take point, clearing each corner and tangle of branches before the rest follow suit. Lothi steps weightlessly on thin branches to sweep each area, and Blackstone somehow hides his bulk in the slimmest of shadows, curled like a watchful panther.

The distance to the ground is not great, but your primary goal is finding a route down that will permit you to return upward. The causeways of wood prove to be utterly vacant, to the point of silence. The stillness becomes eerier when you realize that you don't even hear birdsong or the chattering of insects. The very wrongness of the air quickens your pulse, and you feel as if the colossal tree is simply some trap, or an immense gullet prepared to take bites of the world above and swallow you with it.

After a quarter of an hour, you find a series of walkways that spiral intricately to the ground, forming a neat woven basket of pathways that meet in this wide basin. The shadow from the canopy is impenetrable, a wooden eclipse. The ground beneath you is perfectly smooth, and looks to be pure wood! It shines as if lacquered before continuing into the looming darkness. This must be the center of the tree, and within the darkness must be your destination.
Lothi
 An Elf, 45 posts
 Doomed Adventurer Who
 Howls at the Moon
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 14:21
1.2 - Baobab
Lothi leans down and runs a hand over the wood. "What is this? It's as though the wood grew over the forest floor, and trapped it inside - this was created by magic..." Her disgust is clear. She pulls her scimitar from her sheath and stares toward the center of the basin. She begins to walk forward, eyes wide and blade ready.
Reginard Wrane the IV
 A Noble, 29 posts
 Noble Human Speaker
 Who Siphons Power
Wed 2 Nov 2016
at 07:49
1.2 - Baobab
Reginard is visibly excited, literally shaking from the anticipation.

"This... this is it! So close... I can feel its power... Ha! Hahaha!" Kneeling, he strokes the wood almost lovingly, mumbling quietly to himself. Suddenly he catches himself, shakes his head and coughs slightly as he stands. "Ahem. There is magic here indeed. It is... much stronger than I had envisioned. We must be on our guard. He gestures for Willian to take the fore, who pulls a torch from his pack and lights it before the pair follow Lothi into the darkness.

07:47, Today: Reginard Wrane the IV rolled 5 using 1d20.  Identify magic type and purpose (T - Trained in cyphers / magic).
07:48, Today: Reginard Wrane the IV rolled 11 using 1d20.  Attempting to control impact of magical effect (T).

Blackstone
 A Monster, 49 posts
 Hideous Explorer Who
 Needs No Weapon
Wed 2 Nov 2016
at 13:12
1.2 - Baobab
Blackstone turns a slow circle taking in the tree city above, and then peers down into the basin, "This place is a palace, and this place is empty. Apart from the tree itself, so far we are the only living things in here. If there's magic down there it might be what caused the disappearance of the population above. Keep watch on the shadows, it's where I would lurk for an ambush. Come along Bali, I'll take the rear."

Blackstone follows the others, keeping an eye over his shoulder.

Blackstone rolled a 5 to watch for anything following them, still trained in danger sense.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:13, Wed 02 Nov 2016.

Bali Balsdottir
 A Dwarf, 40 posts
 Dwarf Warrior Who
 Channels Divine Blessings
Wed 2 Nov 2016
at 14:43
1.2 - Baobab
Bali readies herself for both the descent and anything else. At this point, I do not even need to make an effort to feel the evil in the air. It's getting me somewhat jaded.
And then she witnesses what Rex goes through. Sire. Please. Get away from that. Keep between us.
The Herald
 GM, 64 posts
 Gigantic Melancholies &
 Gigantic Mirth
Wed 2 Nov 2016
at 15:12
1.2 - Baobab
Willian hands a second torch to Blackstone, who grimaces and points to the wooden 'ground'. Duly noting the warning, you walk forward with the two flames lighting the way.

The approach feels like walking to a pulpit. You see benches, or perhaps market stalls, emerging from the floor. Immense pillars, perfectly smooth and circular tree trunks, thrust skyward at regular intervals.

You walk for ten minutes through the dead city, and are now surrounded by darkness. The path between outcroppings ends at a large marble dome at the heart of the plaza. The mouth of the dome is a wide open hole with no obvious door to shut it. On the ground, however, is the first sign of occupation you've seen since your arrival.

The thing is nearly ten feet tall, or would be were it standing. The supine shape is mostly humanoid, but made of translucent gel, like an outline made in mucous. It does not move, either to extend a limb or to draw a breath, so it is either dead or (more likely) defies biology as you know it. In its 'hand' is a pale stone shard,  which looks pitifully small for such a giant to carry.
Lothi
 An Elf, 46 posts
 Doomed Adventurer Who
 Howls at the Moon
Wed 2 Nov 2016
at 15:49
1.2 - Baobab
With her shield up and scimitar ready, Lothi takes a few cautious steps closer. She keeps her eye on the stone. "Tell me what this is, scholar - tell me how to kill it." She scans its form, taking in whatever clues she can glean, and then hits on something.

I got a 20 on Perception to figure out how this thing works (and how to kill it). I'm trained if Perception, if it matters.
The Herald
 GM, 65 posts
 Gigantic Melancholies &
 Gigantic Mirth
Wed 2 Nov 2016
at 16:25
1.2 - Baobab
Major effect!Lothi peers carefully at the entity. The torchlight shines through it to the wood below, leaving the unsettling appearance of staring into a gelatinous walking pond. She notices, however, that the thing is not wholly translucent, and that a myriad variety of organelles float within. They are hard to see, but having spied them, Lothi is confident that she can pierce them instead of hacking at the less substantive gel-space. If this one moves or you find others, everyone will gain an asset to attack it with sharp weapons.

It remains inanimate while you inspect it.
Blackstone
 A Monster, 50 posts
 Hideous Explorer Who
 Needs No Weapon
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 14:17
1.2 - Baobab
Blackstone squats down on his heels to get a closer look at the stone shard.
"This is too small to be a proper weapon for a thing this size."

He carefully reaches out to extract the shard assuming the creature is actually dead. This should be easier than rolling alley drunks in the summers, if not picking thin blankets from a frozen corpse in the winters.


Blackstone rolled a 16 to inspect the stone shard.
The Herald
 GM, 66 posts
 Gigantic Melancholies &
 Gigantic Mirth
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 18:38
1.2 - Baobab
The hand has no grip, and the stone slides easily out. Blackstone can barely hold it with one hand.  Separated from the stone, the gel-titan begins to dissipate into mist, sublimating for several minutes before eventually disappearing.

The dome remains silent, as inviting as a glass of poison.
Bali Balsdottir
 A Dwarf, 41 posts
 Dwarf Warrior Who
 Channels Divine Blessings
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 19:11
1.2 - Baobab
Bali grasps her holy symbol of the low gods and begins chanting, as if speaking to the air
who might you be
who might you be, spirit
you who walks the empty roads
you who sees the sunless lands
who might you be
why did you fall
why did you fall, spirit
you who are of the wind
you who sleep in the mist
why did you fall
what do you need
what do you need, spirit
you who grasp at my companion
you whose hand is now empty
what do you need
blind eye, empty hand, tied mouth, tell me
tell me of your death
tell me of your pain
tell me of the dangers
blind eye, empty hand, tied mouth, tell me


Bali Balsdottir rolled 11 using 1d20.  Understanding the wisp. 1 Int effort.
Might 16/18 (2), Speed 16/16 (1), Int 8/12 (1)

Reginard Wrane the IV
 A Noble, 30 posts
 Noble Human Speaker
 Who Siphons Power
Sat 5 Nov 2016
at 08:41
1.2 - Baobab
Reginard approaches the creature and examines it just before Blackstone takes the stone from the creature's hand.

He steps back as the thing disintegrates, giving Blackstone a withering stare then motioning to pass him the stone for closer inspection. "Give that to me, Blackstone. And don't touch anything from now on until I tell you or it attacks us. Magic is radiating from every corner here, and that stone is blinding in comparison. Who knows if you have just killed an emissary of these creatures and turned the rest hostile."

08:34, Today: Reginard Wrane the IV rolled 12 using 1d20+1.  Examine stone (1 effort + Trained in cyphers / magic).
08:34, Today: Reginard Wrane the IV rolled 14 using 1d20+1.  Identify creature (1 effort + Trained in cyphers / magic).


Blackstone
 A Monster, 51 posts
 Hideous Explorer Who
 Needs No Weapon
Sun 6 Nov 2016
at 14:18
1.2 - Baobab
Blackstone passes the stone shard to Rex, "It was already dead, you saw it. Lothi looked it over too. That thing was cold, not just normal dead body cold, like mud in the fall cold. Creatures that are alive give off heat, they don't absorb it."

Blackstone briskly rubs his hands together to get a bit of warmth back to his fingers.
The Herald
 GM, 67 posts
 Gigantic Melancholies &
 Gigantic Mirth
Mon 7 Nov 2016
at 20:08
1.2 - Baobab
The dome beckons.
Bali Balsdottir
 A Dwarf, 42 posts
 Dwarf Warrior Who
 Channels Divine Blessings
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 15:31
1.2 - Baobab
Stepping back gingerly, Bali faces her employer Sire... It ...might be a good idea to put that back where it was ...right now. It might also be a great idea if we prepared for something powerful. I think.

She starts feeling for her blade.
Lothi
 An Elf, 47 posts
 Doomed Adventurer Who
 Howls at the Moon
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 15:43
1.2 - Baobab
Lothi is still staring at where the gigantic thing was. "It was alive. Odd life, but life." At Bali's caution, she raises her shield and readies her scimitar. "Reginard! Are we running or killing?!"
Reginard Wrane the IV
 A Noble, 31 posts
 Noble Human Speaker
 Who Siphons Power
Thu 10 Nov 2016
at 12:40
1.2 - Baobab
Reginard's eyes glaze over as he stares at the - no, into the stone. He seemingly ignores Blackstone's and Bali's comments, transfixed as he is. He faintly mumbles to himself: "So much power... so much... but not like this, it's alive... still alive..." Willian puts a concerned hand on Reginard's shoulder, which seems to bring his master back from his reverie. Reginard looks sharply up to see his companions arming themselves. "What- Why are you arming yourselves? Running or killing what?" he demands, turning to survey the surrounds and slipping the stone into a coat pocket.

12:39, Today: Reginard Wrane the IV rolled 3 using 1d20+1.  Perception (+1 effort, using 3 Int edge).

Blackstone
 A Monster, 52 posts
 Hideous Explorer Who
 Needs No Weapon
Thu 10 Nov 2016
at 14:38
1.2 - Baobab
Blackstone continues to scan the room. He places his feet for a fight.

"So... the stone is alive? How can a stone be alive?"
The Herald
 GM, 68 posts
 Gigantic Melancholies &
 Gigantic Mirth
Fri 11 Nov 2016
at 16:05
1.2 - Baobab
As if to answer Blackstone's question, the dome inhales and fluoresces. A stiff gust of wind rushes in the wake of the dome's suction. The walls within sparkle momentarily with the same hue as the stone Reginard pocketed. The light fades as quickly as it started.

The spark sets Reginard to mania. "Finally! It is... within!" he gasps, and sprints into the hallway. The stone beneath his feet flashes white at his footfalls, the light dissipating immediately after breaking contact.GM Intrusion, 1 XP to Reginard, 1 to the player of his choice. Willian calls after him, "M'lord, wait! Please!" He runs, torch in hand, to catch up with his liege.
Blackstone
 A Monster, 53 posts
 Hideous Explorer Who
 Needs No Weapon
Fri 11 Nov 2016
at 16:37
1.2 - Baobab
Blackstone gestures wildly to the light fading from the walls, "That wasn't my fault! It couldn't be my fault."

The large man stares after the two as they sprint off, and deflates a little with a sigh. "Ladies, shall we go rescue our financier?"

Because he holds the remaining light source, he will keep with the others once they take up the pursuit.
Bali Balsdottir
 A Dwarf, 43 posts
 Dwarf Warrior Who
 Channels Divine Blessings
Mon 14 Nov 2016
at 15:23
1.2 - Baobab
In reply to Blackstone (msg # 38):

Bali Balsdóttir, cleric of the low gods, first and probably last of her name, just sighs. Let's go. I'll have to stop him myself.