Mysterious Visitors (IC)   Posted by Count Strahd von Zarovich.Group: 0
Count Strahd von Zarovich
 GM, 53 posts
Wed 15 Jun 2016
at 02:07
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
The heads do not have any resemblance to any peculiar race you are aware of; at most, they would look like humans. It's really hard to tell, centuries probably these statues have been succumbing the wear and tear of time.

You do not perceive anyone beyond or around the gates that could have possibly opened them.
Jihe Moon
 Ranger, 19 posts
 HP 9/9, AC 13
 P. Ins 14, Inv 12, Per 12
Fri 17 Jun 2016
at 00:49
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
“This might be Lady Eva’s abode. Or their Prince's? Assuming you believe anything Stanimir's told us.” Jihe says in reply to Khelsear. He takes a moment and stares back at the forest, contemplating the fog and whatever things they've been left behind.

Jihe turns back to the group and continues. “Foolhardy as this is, it seems we've been lead here. And,” he points at the gate, “we’re being invited in. Shall we take their invitation?”
Edrik Greydragon
 Fighter, 32 posts
 HP 12 / 12 AC 18
 P. Per 13 Inv 9 Ins 10
Fri 17 Jun 2016
at 18:14
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
As the doors creaked open, Edrik withheld a cringe; he grinding metal was near spine-tingling, as much as ominous. The knight couldn't help but wonder where they were and what he'd gotten himself into.

"I don't see any other option," responded the nobleman to Jihe's assessment, "it'd be best to find this Madame Eva and learn about this... place..."

"We should tread carefully with open eyes," Edrik continued, "something about this place does not seem right."

This message was last edited by the player at 13:23, Mon 20 June 2016.

Count Strahd von Zarovich
 GM, 54 posts
Sat 18 Jun 2016
at 21:40
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
You decide to walk through the gates, with little choice left but to continue forward. You keep your eyes open and peeled for any dangers.

As you traverse the gate, towering tress, whose tops are lost in heavy gray mist, block out all but a death-gray light. The tree trunks are unnaturally close to one another, and the woods have the silence of a forgotten grave, yet exude the feeling of an unvoiced scream.

Once you are a couple of meters inside this domain, on the other side of the gates, they begin to close behind you.

Khelsear makes a strange face, his nose picking up a strange scent. He indicates to the group this weird odor, as everyone starts sniffing like dogs searching for prey. You catch the scent of death on the air.

The foul scent leads you to a human corpse half-buried in the underbrush about fifteen feet from the road. The young man appears to be a commoner. His muddy clothes are torn and raked with claw marks. Crows have been at the body, which is surrounded by the paw prints. The man has obviously been dead for several days. He holds a crumpled envelope in one hand.

You pick up the envelope, which is sealed with a "B" mark wax seal.

quote:
Hail thee of might and valor:

I, the Burgomaster of Barovia, send you honor — with despair. My adopted daughter, the fair Ireena Kolyana, has been these past nights bitten by a vampyr. For over four hundred years, this creature has drained the life blood of my people. Now, my dear Ireena languishes and dies from an unholy wound caused by this vile beast. He has become too powerful to conquer.

So I say to you, give us up for dead and encircle this land with the symbols of good. Let holy men call upon their power that the devil may be contained within the walls of weeping Barovia.

Leave our sorrows to our graves, and save the world from this evil fate of ours.

There is much wealth entrapped in this community. Return for your reward after we are all departed for a better life.

Kolyan Indirovich
Burgomaster


The letter is dated one week ago.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:17, Sat 18 June 2016.

Valla Tediore
 Warlock, 23 posts
 Warlock 1; HP 9/9; AC 14
 Perc: 9; Inv: 12; Ins: 9
Sun 19 Jun 2016
at 17:04
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Valla had remained eerily quiet for most of the journey, keeping her opinions to herself outside of unsettling whispers to her unseen 'friend'. Upon spotting the corpse half burred in the soil, she stepped forward and took the envelope, reading it aloud.

"Barovia. I can't say I've heard of such a land despite some travelling in my time. It would seem these people sought to sacrifice themselves for the good of their neighboring lands."
Bjorn Orfson
 Barbarian, 35 posts
 Barb 1 14/14 hp AC 14
 Per 13 Inv 9 Ins 11
Sun 19 Jun 2016
at 18:14
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Bjorn's face hardens as he hears the story.

"Let us find the culprits and bring vengeance upon them!"
Edrik Greydragon
 Fighter, 33 posts
 HP 12 / 12 AC 18
 P. Per 13 Inv 9 Ins 10
Tue 21 Jun 2016
at 13:30
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Some type of strange magic filled the air of this place, of that Edrik was sure. He was not trained in the Art, but he knew that doors simply did not open and close on their own. Add to that, the fog in the forests felt unnatural at best, if not downright oppressive at worst. The young nobleman needed to keep his cool; through all his travels, Edrik had seen what he considered to be a strange collection of oddities, but this perhaps topped them all.

Valla had grabbed what appeared to be some type of parchment and read it allowed. The words made the hair on Edrik's neck stand upright.

"400 years?" the knight muttered in response, "what of the prince that those vagabonds mentioned? Perhaps this 'curse' was caused by this prince trying to fell this creature..."
Valla Tediore
 Warlock, 26 posts
 Warlock 1; HP 9/9; AC 14
 Perc: 9; Inv: 12; Ins: 9
Tue 21 Jun 2016
at 17:41
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
"Well we will receive no answers out here. Whether ally or foe, this estate belongs to someone." Valla added, pocketting the note and moving forward.
Rurik Fireforge
 Cleric, 20 posts
 Cleric 1 11/11 hp AC 18
 P. Per 13 Inv 12 Ins 15
Fri 24 Jun 2016
at 01:04
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Rurik mulled the contents of the letter. The undead lurk; clearly there is a purpose to our being here, even if I don't recognize where here is. We should attempt to find this Indirovich.
Khelsear Nainodel
 Rogue, 16 posts
 HP 10/10 AC 14
 Per 16 Inv 13 Ins 16
Fri 24 Jun 2016
at 16:39
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
"I wake from a sleep I never entered, in a coffin with a poor soul brought back to a twisted life after death. We find ourselves in a strange land, and here in this similarly strange place, to find a dead man with a letter speaking of more undeath. I don't know what this is, but I do know that this is a land of evil. The man who wrote this letter has the right of it, encircling this place about with holiness seems like the right idea."
Count Strahd von Zarovich
 GM, 57 posts
Fri 24 Jun 2016
at 21:25
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
As you linger around the corpse, trying to figure just what exactly is going on, you hear a lone wolf howling, in the woods. It's far away, you suppose, until you hear a second howl, closer, from the other side of the road. You look to each other for guidance, and when a third howl is heard from the back, you spur into action, and start walking away from the immense gates and the corpse.
Bjorn Orfson
 Barbarian, 37 posts
 Barb 1 14/14 hp AC 14
 Per 13 Inv 9 Ins 11
Sat 25 Jun 2016
at 13:46
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Bjorn turns towards the closest howl, hammer in hand, ready for action.
Khelsear Nainodel
 Rogue, 17 posts
 HP 10/10 AC 14
 Per 16 Inv 13 Ins 16
Mon 27 Jun 2016
at 15:12
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Khelsear knocks and arrow to his bow, "Normally I would say that it was strange to hear such creatures close to a place like this, but from what we've seen so far it's probably perfectly normal. Either we make a stand here if they're after us, or we get a move on before they lock on us."
Valla Tediore
 Warlock, 28 posts
 Warlock 1; HP 9/9; AC 14
 Perc: 9; Inv: 12; Ins: 9
Tue 28 Jun 2016
at 13:57
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Having already moved ahead, Valla looked back to her companions before any lingering fog threatened to separate them. "Come along. The fog will play havoc with sounds, making them far more numerous and vicious when paired with imaginations. This former man however needs someone to speak for him, as it's clear his plea was never received."
Count Strahd von Zarovich
 GM, 59 posts
Thu 30 Jun 2016
at 20:49
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Not so eager to possibly face a pack of wolves, or worse, the group decides to march rapidly, away from the dead corpse, and the strangely huge gates. You march quickly, hoping to be able to get out of this thick forest, to desperately find answers you are looking for.

Anyone who would look  behind them as continuing on the path would see many pairs of glowing yellow eyes, hidden throughout the fog. Dark figures, seemingly characteristic large wolves, circle around the cadaver you had found, continuously eyeing the party. They do not seem to be following you, for now.

At some point, the thick, gloomy forests, comes out to a clearing. At the south, about a mile or two from the road, a river. This current flows as clear as a blue winter sky through the valley.

As you continue, tall shapes loom out of the dense fog that surrounds everything. The muddy ground underfoot gives way to slick, wet cobblestones. The gravel road leads to a village. The tall shapes becomes recognizable as dwellings, tall houses dark like tombstones. Nestled among these solemn dwellings are a handful of closed up shops. Even the tavern is shut tight.

No sounds cuts the silences except for a soft whimpering. The sound catches your eye toward a pair of children standing in the middle of an otherwise lifeless street.



As you slowly approach, cautiously, after shushing the boy, the girl turns toward you and says, "There's a monster in our house!". She then points to a tall brick row house that has seen better days. It's windows are dark. It has a gated portico on the ground floor, and the rusty gate is slightly ajar. The houses on either side are abandoned, their windows and doors boarded up.
Khelsear Nainodel
 Rogue, 18 posts
 HP 10/10 AC 14
 Per 16 Inv 13 Ins 16
Fri 1 Jul 2016
at 13:47
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
"What a coincidence - there are monsters out here as well!"
Valla Tediore
 Warlock, 29 posts
 Warlock 1; HP 9/9; AC 14
 Perc: 9; Inv: 12; Ins: 9
Sat 2 Jul 2016
at 20:25
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Valla approached the children slowly and knelt down to their eye level. "Tell me child," she said to the older girl after a friendly grin at the young boy's stuffed skeleton toy. "What does this monster look like that is in your house?"
Count Strahd von Zarovich
 GM, 60 posts
Mon 4 Jul 2016
at 01:49
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
As Valla comes closer to the children, the young boy continues to whimper, and tightly clings to the girl. The boy hides part of his face and body behind her gray, bleak dress, while looking to these strangers.

The child sobs slightly. "Don't make me go back inside, please, don't!", he says. "It's scary!"

The girl says, slightly annoyed, but obviously frightened: "Shush, Thornboldt, that's enough." She looks to the party, her eyes widen and her face softens, probably hoping some form of aid.

"I don't know what the monster looks like, but we've heard it's howls! It's terrible! It sounds big and scary! Our little brother is still inside!"

Bjorn Orfson
 Barbarian, 39 posts
 Barb 1 14/14 hp AC 14
 Per 13 Inv 9 Ins 11
Tue 5 Jul 2016
at 17:37
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Bjorn looks lively with the mention of a monster about.

"Let us go and kill this beast!" He bellows, hammer in hand.
Valla Tediore
 Warlock, 30 posts
 Warlock 1; HP 9/9; AC 14
 Perc: 9; Inv: 12; Ins: 9
Wed 6 Jul 2016
at 16:01
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
"By all means, Bjorn. Don't wait on our account." Valla said from her hunched position. Turning back to the children, she added, "Worry not little ones, I'm sure we can rid your home of this beast. Tell me, are your parents still within the house as well?" she asked, showing little reaction for what the dak answer may be.
Bjorn Orfson
 Barbarian, 41 posts
 Barb 1 14/14 hp AC 14
 Per 13 Inv 9 Ins 11
Wed 6 Jul 2016
at 18:14
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Bjorn looks distastefully at Valla and turns to the children: "Where is your home?"
Edrik Greydragon
 Fighter, 38 posts
 HP 12 / 12 AC 18
 P. Per 13 Inv 9 Ins 10
Wed 6 Jul 2016
at 23:57
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Edrik drew his blade at the howling of the wolves, but the action proved unnecessary as the group skirted through the gate, leaving a mosaic of eery yellow eyes behind them. The nobleman happened to catch a glance of the frightening scene only moments before the gates screeched shut.

Then came the sobbing. The whimpering made the hair on the knight's neck stood up, uncontrollably, as something didn't seem right. By now, Edrik had sheathed his blade, but he considered drawing his long sword once more. As they continued forward, the scene continued to appear bleak - the town center appeared as a ghost town, with what once looked like a bustling center of population, bordered up and silent, save for two children.

Edrik remained on his guard, giving the two children a glance to see if they were forthcoming. Perhaps he was being a bit too cautious, but so far, the journey had put the young noble on edge.

The knight drew his blade as Bjorn rushed forward, looking as if he was going to bend the whole house over his knee.

"We should be careful Bjorn," Edrik said to the massive man, "nothing that has happened since meeting Stanamir has been as it seems..."

OOC: Looks like Edrik failed his Insight check, haha.

Khelsear Nainodel
 Rogue, 20 posts
 HP 10/10 AC 14
 Per 16 Inv 13 Ins 16
Thu 7 Jul 2016
at 13:18
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
"If our current line of luck holds, the kids parents are either going to be werewolves, or vampires. Anybody in a betting mood?" Khelsear moves to follow the others toward the kid's home, whichever it may be. This place still freaked him out, but he wasn't about to split from the group and whatever safety numbers happened to provide.
Count Strahd von Zarovich
 GM, 63 posts
Fri 8 Jul 2016
at 21:42
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
"We don't know, we don't know!" Rosaveldt says, her eyes watering up. "They were trying to hold the monster in the basement, I don't know where they are.". Thornboldt starts sobbing again, clutching his strange looking stuffed doll. "Shush, it's okay. These nice people will kill the monster. It won't be able to hurt us!"
Rurik Fireforge
 Cleric, 21 posts
 Cleric 1 11/11 hp AC 18
 P. Per 13 Inv 12 Ins 15
Sat 9 Jul 2016
at 01:19
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
"Whatever the monster may be, we should attempt to save the children's parents. Point us to your house and we will take care of it."