Mysterious Visitors (IC)   Posted by Count Strahd von Zarovich.Group: 0
Count Strahd von Zarovich
 GM, 18 posts
Sat 30 Apr 2016
at 00:17
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Duchess Morwen of Daggerford is having guests for dinner, and you are invited.

No strangers to Daggerford, your reputation is quite known. You have come to the city's aid in a number of occasions, may it be settling disputes at the tavern, helping the city guard catch a thief, or helping the church with the processions.  Your punctual actions here and there have come to the ears of the Duchess. She has sent word through her personal guard, promising her favour in exchange for a service. In the time you have been residing in Daggerford, you have heard the noble woman an honest and friendly leader. There is no reason to refuse her invitation, besides receiving the cold shoulder from the locals. You also see this as a good opportunity to get on the good side of the local bourgeoisie.

A cool autumn breeze blows through the streets as you make your way towards the castle. A servant guides you through the keep, bringing you to a large dinner table, where others are also sitting; strange characters. As you dine on hot, spicy soup and tenderly cooked pheasant, whilst exchanging pleasantries with the Duchess, you can tell she somewhat seems out of sorts, especially for a kindly meeting such as this.

She slowly puts down her glass of wine, and looks at the table and her guests:

“I do imagine you are wondering and eager to know why you have been invited to eat and drink besides me on this night?”
she finally says, hinting to the purpose of this reunion. “I do suppose you have heard of a bunch of rowdy wayward travellers settling camp close to the city. Well. They seemed harmless at first, we hadn't thought the need to do anything really. Rumours have come to my ears, and the ears of my guards, that they have begun threatening visitors to Daggerford with hexes and curses if they don't hand over their wine. And gold.” Duchess Morwen takes a quick sip of wine, and wipes off her mouth with her handkerchief. She sighs.

“I ordered some of my guards to investigate the situation, and to scare away these nomads back from whence they came, only to come back empty handed. They even seemed sympathetic towards these mysterious folk, almost as if they have been charmed with magic!” she yelps, loudly, gulping down the rest of her cup, and slamming it on the table.

“This is unacceptable!”, she pauses, catching her breath. “Pardon me. My guards are very capable folk, yet some of them fear to be charmed or controlled by magic. My Captain has advised me to recruit folk from the city to undergo this task. Maybe they would be more susceptible to... “commoners”, than city guards. I have heard that you have been helping out some of the residents in Daggerford, I'm asking you this; will you help me?”

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:21, Sun 01 May 2016.

Khelsear Nainodel
 Rogue, 3 posts
 HP 10/10 AC 14
 Per 16 Inv 13 Ins 16
Sat 30 Apr 2016
at 13:20
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
"My people have a natural resistance to such magics, and I can likely be of great assistance there. What more can you tell me about these traveling folk - How many are there? What kind of camp have they set up; tents, simple bedrolls? What manner of races are represented there?"

Khelsear awaited answers to his little barrage of questions. He knew of the Duchess's reputation from others in his circle who had been too blatant with their greed and too careless with their jobs, and being on the good side of someone like that was not an offer to be passed up. He was definitely interested, and couldn't care less about the risks, but he didn't want to go in any more blind than he had to.
Bjorn Orfson
 Barbarian, 4 posts
 Barb 1 14/14 hp AC 14
 Per 13 Inv 9 Ins 11
Sat 30 Apr 2016
at 18:39
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
"COMMONERS?!?" Bjorn Orfson is no commoner! I will wringle those scoundrels! Soon they will fear ME!

Bjorn sits up straight to emphasize his proclamation.
Jihe Moon
 Ranger, 2 posts
 HP 9/9, AC 13
 P. Ins 14, Inv 12, Per 12
Sat 30 Apr 2016
at 23:18
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Seeing that the hooded fellow has asked Lady Morwen the most pertinent questions, Jihe does not remark and continues to partake of the wine that has been provided. He's still reflecting on a job that had been completed mere hours ago, but takes the time to make a survey of his associates in the room.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:19, Sun 01 May 2016.

Rurik Fireforge
 Cleric, 5 posts
 Cleric 1 11/11 hp AC 18
 P. Per 13 Inv 12 Ins 15
Sun 1 May 2016
at 00:10
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Rurik, enjoying his meal, maintains his silence; he makes a silent prayer to Tyr, knowing justice will be done.
Valla Tediore
 Warlock, 4 posts
 Warlock 1; HP 9/9; AC 14
 Perc: 9; Inv: 12; Ins: 9
Sun 1 May 2016
at 00:52
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
"No, I don't know if it will lead us to any raiders, but it stands to reason that if charm magic is involved,mthese people may need our help." Valla whispered, apparently to herself. The young woman had raven black hair pulled back past her slightly pointed ears into a number of long braids that trailed down over her black and red leather armor, and she took a sip of the wine she had been offered, turning her attention to the Duchess. "I will put forth my assistance. How much of a reward is being offered for the heads of these interlopers?"
Count Strahd von Zarovich
 GM, 20 posts
Sun 1 May 2016
at 03:52
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Lady Morwen gasps when Bjorn expresses himself with such intensity, and raises her hand in the air as if to calm the situation: "I am sure your strength of arms is quite formidable, friend. However, I would not see these nomads harmed. They haven't attacked or killed anyone coming or leaving from Daggerford. I wouldn't want my fellow citizens to think that I would welcome bloodshed and massacre. My reputation is at stake here, I'm afraid" she says softly.

She turns around and faces the rest of the group. She smiles, and her tension seems to fade as everyone seems to agree to come to her aid. A strong wind seeps into the room from an open window, simmering the candle fire from the table. A servant quickly closes the shutters.

"They seem to be about a dozen, maybe twenty at most, humans. Not anything special. My guards mentioned children were also present with the group. Why, I wouldn't know. Daggerford can't afford to shelter any orphans. They possess a small number of wagons. They haven't mentioned any more details worth mentioning."

She tapes the table with her fingers when asked about remuneration: "I'll be able to fork a 10 gold pieces each if this matter is resolved peacefully. It's not much, but it will be of great aid to the city. You will have my favor".
Jihe Moon
 Ranger, 3 posts
 HP 9/9, AC 13
 P. Ins 14, Inv 12, Per 12
Sun 1 May 2016
at 10:09
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Jihe is unsurprised by the giant's reaction, but does find the elf's offer of beheading surprising. As Lady Morwen finishes describing the nomads, Jihe returns his glass to the table.

"Then speaking with them sounds like the best course of action. But if they are making use of threats and magic, a confrontation may be unavoidable." His mouth quirks. "But I believe your reputation could survive that, my lady."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:59, Thu 05 May 2016.

Edrik Greydragon
 Fighter, 5 posts
 Human HP 12 / 12 AC 18
 P. Per 13 Inv 9 Ins 10
Mon 2 May 2016
at 17:16
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Lady Morwen - Edrik knew her name. Baldur's Gate was but a ten-day or two's travel south from Daggerford, and being part of the Trade Way, Edrik has heard of the Duchess during his time. Ironically, he'd not had any communication with her from his family's dealings on the Trade Way, but rather her brother's reputation for being, as the commoner's would call it, a 'pompous arse' regarding adventurers in the area. In fact, Edrik's master Sir Helm, had a few choice words with Duke Maldwyn during a stint in Daggerford perhaps only a few years back when Edrik still held the title of 'squire'. Surely, it would be safe to say that the rigid Duchess likely knew more of Edrik, then he of her.

Edirk had entered the room with a humble bow to Lady Morwen, his silken orange and blue doublet, dyed the colors of his house, shimmered in the flickering candlelight; the knight had left his armor in his quarters as he was notified of a invitation to a dinner party by one of the Duchess's porters. The well bodied Tethyrian looked for an open chair at the long table, and ate with impeccable manners; a clear product of noble domestication.

When the Duchess had announced her 'problem', Edrik allowed the others to speak as he continued eating and sipping on his glass of wine. One large, barely dressed man, who Edrik assumed to be some type of wild tribesmen from beyond Neverwinter began screaming and shouting for no apparent reason, while some of the more seedier looking folk began questioning the Duchess on the situation. The girl with the raven hair, however, garnered the young knight's attention. When the girl spoke, he glanced into her eyes and felt something, strange, as if he had stared into the abyss. Edrik was likely caught gawking and quickly shuffled himself back into eating his meal.

Whence the Duchess had responded to the others and provided a sum for the task, Edrik placed his utensils upon the table properly, and dabbed his face with the silken napkin he was provided.

"Milady,"
the young man spoke, placing his left hand on the table, which exposed his orange and blue signet ring, "I thank you kindly for the dinner and my regards to your cook. I am quite the sap for a spicy soup."

Edrik paused for a brief smile toward the Duchess before he continued, "we are both products of the Trade Road and understand its ways. 10 gold a piece to 'convince' these vagabonds to disperse from Daggerford's borders seems quite paltry. Perhaps you could offer us 15 gold a piece considering magic may be in play?"

13:02, Today: Edrik Greydragon rolled 7 using 1d20+2.  Persuaion.
Bjorn Orfson
 Barbarian, 6 posts
 Barb 1 14/14 hp AC 14
 Per 13 Inv 9 Ins 11
Mon 2 May 2016
at 22:15
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Bjorn almost cuts in at the silken clothed and tongued man sentence: "You have a problem of highwaymen here, threatening people with witchcraft?!? I don't think they would listen to words."

As he finishes he leans back in his chair, eyes gleaming as though seeing another place.
Bjorn's jaw suddenly sets and his muscles rippling, but suddenly he remembers where he is and slumps back in his seat, eyes still wandering.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:18, Tue 03 May 2016.

Valla Tediore
 Warlock, 5 posts
 Warlock 1; HP 9/9; AC 14
 Perc: 9; Inv: 12; Ins: 9
Mon 2 May 2016
at 22:47
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
"Yes, of course enchantments are your speciality. I'm well aware." Valla whispered again, though it seemed the taboo of talking to oneself has escaped her long ago. "If it is truly an enchantment and not the greased palms of your guardsmen that are bringing them back with stories of magic, then we will quickly get to the bottom of it."
Edrik Greydragon
 Fighter, 8 posts
 HP 12 / 12 AC 18
 P. Per 13 Inv 9 Ins 10
Tue 3 May 2016
at 20:10
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Edrik tapped the table with his hand and picked up the wine glass in front of him by the stem; he didn't exactly flinch when the large man went about shouting, rather, he swished the red win in his tulip about, then sipped it gently.

"It appears there's some sympathy toward their cause from Lady Morwen's guard, so they aren't unwilling to parlay," the nobleman responded to the large, rippling man, "wisdom would say that the inconsistencies in the story presented by the townsfolk and the Duchess's guard, leans more toward fear and hearsay. Perhaps we should save our judgement for when we arrive, rather than running in and crushing skulls with impunity."

The knight wasn't afraid to fight, but his experiences as an adventurer up and down the Sword Coast had given him a clear reminder that not everything is as it seems. These vagabonds may be a nuisance, but perhaps not entirely a threat.

The brown haired man placed his glass back down upon the table, looked at the barbarian then back to the Duchess, "and besides, good sir, the Duchess has requested that we not bloody our blades. Ignoring the terms of a request is no way to gain further favor, or contracts..."

Edrik drifted off again when he thought he heard the raven haired girl talking to herself, ominously. His eyebrow arched as once again, his stare seemed to linger on Valla for far longer than any gentleman should allow.
Bjorn Orfson
 Barbarian, 8 posts
 Barb 1 14/14 hp AC 14
 Per 13 Inv 9 Ins 11
Wed 4 May 2016
at 02:39
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Bjorn jaw set again and his eyes return to the now and then. Again the man who has spoken as a peddler, Soft wear, eloquent speech, a mage? No wonder he abstains from confrontation.

"Yes. I will go forth to have words with them but threatening people and taking their gold? And the guards do nothing?!? I hope their words are good!

Bjorn's sits back at his chair, anger subsiding, only now noticing the alarm on some faces. Why should he help them when they cannot help themselves? perhaps he SHOULD ask for more money. How soft is the city compared to the tundra.
Count Strahd von Zarovich
 GM, 21 posts
Wed 4 May 2016
at 02:50
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Lady Morwen gives a hard look towards Edrik when he tries to haggle himself with a better bargain, but also seems pleased when the man  : "You have been most polite Sir Edrik" she squints her eyes slightly. "I do believe the amount is sufficient. I can, however, promise you my favor in other matters of mine which may need attending in the future, if this one is resolved quickly and smoothly.", she says, emphasizing her last few words.

The Lady finishes her plate, leaving but a little soup in her bowl. She poses her utensils on the table, and rises slowly, holding her hands on the table and leaning towards you, slightly. "I do believe we have come to an understanding. You may finish your meals and prepare your things. The day has been devilishly long. I thank you for your help in this issue" she bows, turns around from the group, and leaves through a door on the side, leaving you alone.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:04, Wed 04 May 2016.

Jihe Moon
 Ranger, 4 posts
 HP 9/9, AC 13
 P. Ins 14, Inv 12, Per 12
Wed 4 May 2016
at 07:39
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
"A pleasant eve to you, Lady Morwen. May the moon shine on you." Jihe stands and takes a bow, his grin hidden behind long, moss green hair .

As the Duchess takes her leave, Jihe returns to his seat, his face turned in a disquiet frown. Morwen has lived up to her reputation as a hardline negotiator. But this was one of many things Jihe had heard of her; some of it was likely untrue. The truth could be hard to distill from bar talk and town gossip. But a job was a job, and if it could be leveraged in the future for better paying work...

"So we have our job, but little to go on." Jihe starts on his wine again, turning his attention to the rogue.

"You seem to be knowledgeable in the arts of magic. What sort of preparations would you recommend before we parlay with these travellers?" Jihe makes a point not to ask this of the elf. She seemed to be in another private conversation, giving the air of someone haunted; he wouldn't risk invoking her wrath.

Jihe continues to indulge in the wine against his better judgement, but stops to regard the whole group again. "My apologies, I seem to have forgotten my manners. I am Jihe Moon; a pleasure to make your acquaintances." He makes a wide, clear grin; everyone is able to see his pointed canines and wholly silver eyes.
Edrik Greydragon
 Fighter, 10 posts
 HP 12 / 12 AC 18
 P. Per 13 Inv 9 Ins 10
Wed 4 May 2016
at 16:03
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Edrik gave the Duchess a nod in response, "if the potential for future favor is part of the deal, I accept your offer."

When Lady Morwen rose, so did Edrik. He offered her a departing bow as she left, accompanied by a gentle, "milady," before returning his seat. The young man scanned the room with his his deep blue eyes, looking over the others. He didn't know their backgrounds, but they had to have done something to garner the attention of the Duchess. While Daggerford was still what Edrik would consider a 'frontier town', it was still the largest settlement between Baldur's Gate and Waterdeep. And somehow Lady Morwen had selected he, along with these five others, out of likely tens of adventurers in the city's vicinity.

The man heavily indulging himself with alcohol seemed rather curious to the hooded figures affinity with magic. Edrik chose to lean back in his chair, erecting in proper posture, and listen to the green-haired man's questioning. Afterward, he introduced himself to the others.

"Well met Jihe Moon," Edrik gave in terse response to the green haired, sharp toothed man, "Sir Edrik Greydragon, third son of Darvin and Esvele Greydragon, Patriars of Baldur's Gate."

Edrik waited for the others to introduce themselves before posing a question to the collected adventurers, "it appears as if we have garnered the eye of Lady Morwen, a task rumored to be quite difficult. So, pardon my curiosity, but what brings each of you to Daggerford?"

The nobleman was quite interested in getting a gauge on who he was to be tasked to work alongside and their strengths.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:58, Wed 04 May 2016.

Valla Tediore
 Warlock, 6 posts
 Warlock 1; HP 9/9; AC 14
 Perc: 9; Inv: 12; Ins: 9
Wed 4 May 2016
at 17:42
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
"Yes, that is quite a title, Sir Edrik." Valla said, as though agreeing with an unheard statement. "I am Valla Tediore." she added, sweeping her gaze about the room to everyone within. "I have been in the extended area for some time now, though what brings any of us anywhere I suppose you could call fate. The winds brought me here, though I suspect Lady Morwen has heard of a few exploits in order to call on me directly."
Khelsear Nainodel
 Rogue, 5 posts
 HP 10/10 AC 14
 Per 16 Inv 13 Ins 16
Wed 4 May 2016
at 20:47
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
"A pleasure to meet you all. I am Khelsear, and I recently relocated to Daggerford for business a little over a year ago, from Baldur's Gate." Khelsear looks around at the others, taking note of names and faces for each one. Though he was normally more talkative, he felt for some reason that things were best kept short in present company. Though, he couldn't say why.
Rurik Fireforge
 Cleric, 6 posts
 Cleric 1 11/11 hp AC 18
 P. Per 13 Inv 12 Ins 15
Thu 5 May 2016
at 02:42
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Rurik finished his wine, and looked around at his companions as he stood to his imposing 4'2". It is a pleasure to meet you all. I am Rurik Fireforge; I have been traveling for a time now, seeking to bring Tyr's justice to those who need it. It seems I may be in the right place, if our host is correct; it seems we should seek these gypsies out and see if there is any foul play afoot.
Bjorn Orfson
 Barbarian, 10 posts
 Barb 1 14/14 hp AC 14
 Per 13 Inv 9 Ins 11
Thu 5 May 2016
at 23:56
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Bjorn taps his chest with his fist: Bjorn Orfson. Third son of bear tribe chieftain. I look forward to fight by your side."
Jihe Moon
 Ranger, 6 posts
 HP 9/9, AC 13
 P. Ins 14, Inv 12, Per 12
Fri 6 May 2016
at 04:21
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Jihe chuckles to himself at Valla's response and waits for everyone to finish introducing themselves.

"House Greydragon, how præstigious! I'ven't spent much time in Baldur's Gate, but I have heard many praises of your family." His cheeks are a lighter shade of red than the rest of his dark face. "I'm curious as to your stay here..."

Jihe takes a long pause before continuing, "Anyway, much like Khelsear, I'm here for business. My talents with wildlife are often in need; they were in need but earlier today." He clears his throat and mutters something in another tongue.

[Language unknown:  "Ntomec hiut cepro of..."]

"Undoubtedly, that is why Lady Mowren called for me." He returns to volume - stumbling over her name along the way - and takes a braggart's air upon this declaration, failing to realize the contradiction. "I can regale you all at a later time; I don't wish to squander the Lady's hospitality."

This message was last edited by the player at 20:27, Sat 14 May 2016.

Edrik Greydragon
 Fighter, 12 posts
 HP 12 / 12 AC 18
 P. Per 13 Inv 9 Ins 10
Fri 6 May 2016
at 13:42
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
"Perhaps it is," Edrik responded to Valla, leaving his comment at that. He couldn't necessarily deny it, especially considering his family's past.

When the elf spoke, Edrik turned his gaze toward the man ever so slightly. A business man would likely be a great asset when dealing with vagabonds. From his travels, the young knight realized that many migrants did so purely from a economical standpoint. In fact, Baldur's Gate alone is a testament to that idea, with new immigrants arriving on a daily basis trying to better their lives. These 'vagrants' could perhaps be no different.

"Well met Khelsiar," Edrik responded warmly, "it is uncommon to see an elf this far west in the frontier. I will assume your business to have been of the utmost importance to journey to Daggerford."

Edrik was ignorant to the Khelsiar's race among his own people. The knight had met a few on his journey's, but the bulk of the population still lived around the great forests north of the Inner Sea, an area of Faerun that the knight knew of little.

Next to introduce himself was the dwarf. When the stout man spoke, Edrik's head cocked slightly downward to the man's eye-level. When he claimed to have a mission to bring Tyr's justice to the realm, Edrik smiled amiably, "patron of the god of justice, an amiable task. Perhaps justice is indeed what this lot we are to broker with requires."

It wasn't but a moment later when the large man introduced himself with thundering pride. Edrik again nodded his head in the direction of the northern man, "third son as well? Perhaps it is indeed fated that we fight side-by-side. A man of your stature likely could put a frost giant to shame in an arm wrestling match!"

The one known as Jihe, a being that was perhaps a little curious to Edrik, spoke favorably about the knight's lineage. In response, Edrik looked down upon his signet ring, fiddling it for a moment before catching himself and clasping his hands together tightly.

"Yes," the young knight gave in response, "we are a family of old - some of my uncles say old enough to trace our roots back to the city's founding. But I am yet to the burden of proof to that."

Edrik continued, "we are perhaps well known for how we operate our business. My parents and their siblings act more as business owners than as true Patriars. They understand treating those who work under them with fairness and dignity is a good way of recruiting the best trade talent and caravan escorts for patronizing."

"As for more," the knight spoke after taking an elongated breath, "I was squired out at a young age. Being the third born, I had little claim to running the estate and my parents thought it best for me to learn how to properly defend myself in belief that I could operate our caravan's security business. But, I found myself more able to enjoy myself on the freedom of the road, rather than sitting within Baldur's Gate toiling against practice dummies."

Edrik stopped himself, realizing that he was being long-winded. He open his hand and tapped the table a couple of times with his fingers before starting again, "but I dis\gress. I've been in Daggerford because it lets me pick up contracts between Baldaur's Gate and Waterdeep. There's a lot of business on the Trade Way."
Count Strahd von Zarovich
 GM, 25 posts
Sun 8 May 2016
at 15:19
Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Everyone finishes their meal and wine, the spicy soup warming your bodies and the wine slightly numbing the senses. You decide to make point at the gates in an hour or so, just enough time to prepare.

As the evening grows dark, you pack up your gear, and venture with your new found comrades through the city and out the gates. The guardsman at the gate sees your group arrive, and demands a halt: "You must be the group the Duchess has asked to take care of those gypsies. Good. They've been causing nothing but trouble!" he says. "I must warn you though; it's getting pretty late, and the cold is rushing through. I'll have to close the gates soon. You might have to camp out tonight. Rules are rules!" Since you've been in the city, you have known the guards to take their job very seriously.

A light, cold wind, follows you as you march towards the encampment, only to fade as you come closer to your objective. You hear crows cawing on tree branches as you are passing through. Dark clouds seem to be covering most of the sky, shining little nightlight. You follow the main road out of the city, and besides a hill, a kilometer outside the city gates, you hear loud talking and rambling.

You approach cautiously, eyeing the light from afar.

You see a dozen men and women gathered around a crackling bonfire. The folk are in good spirits. They are dressed in a colorful, flamboyant fashion, many wearing harem pants and bandanas, even sporting golden and silver rings and other jewelry. A few of them sing and dance around the fire while others seem to find happiness in their flasks and wine-skins. Three barrel-topped wagons are parked at odd angle. And tied to nearby tree, grazing, are half a dozen draft horses, wearing bright coats with bangles and tassels.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:20, Sun 08 May 2016.

Bjorn Orfson
 Barbarian, 13 posts
 Barb 1 14/14 hp AC 14
 Per 13 Inv 9 Ins 11
Sun 8 May 2016
at 18:42
Re: Mysterious Visitors (IC)
Count Strahd von Zarovich:
As the evening grows dark, you pack up your gear, and venture with your new found comrades through the city and out the gates. The guardsman at the gate sees your group arrive, and demands a halt: "You must be the group the Duchess has asked to take care of those gypsies. Good. They've been causing nothing but trouble!" he says. "I must warn you though; it's getting pretty late, and the cold is rushing through. I'll have to close the gates soon. You might have to camp out tonight. Rules are rules!" Since you've been in the city, you have known the guards to take their job very seriously.


"Cold? Bah, where I come from the winds howl much stronger. This is NOT cold."

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:21, Sun 08 May 2016.