OOC II.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Dungeon Master
 GM, 537 posts
Tue 19 Mar 2019
at 01:24
OOC II
Quite an impressive display, everyone! You made quick work of those bugbears. I'll have to make things more difficult for you... :)

And enjoy your vacation, Three Elks! We'll be waiting for you when you return.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 496 posts
Tue 19 Mar 2019
at 02:01
OOC II
In reply to Dungeon Master (msg # 1):

Promises promises.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 538 posts
Sat 23 Mar 2019
at 19:09
OOC II
With Lathan leading the way, you'll be able to move through the wilderness fairly quickly. And if you still intend to use your familiar(s) to scout ahead, you shouldn't have too much difficulty locating what you're looking for. However, I would prefer to wait until Three Elks returns from his trip--he said he'd be gone the last two weeks of March--before I have you reach it.

So if everyone is okay with it, let's wait one week before we move on to the next part. In the meantime, feel free to continue to have your characters talk to each other as they travel.
Terminax
 player, 176 posts
Sat 23 Mar 2019
at 20:08
OOC II
Works for me.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 164 posts
 Tiefling
Sat 23 Mar 2019
at 20:18
OOC II
I'm cool with it.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 499 posts
Sun 24 Mar 2019
at 00:45
OOC II
In reply to Dungeon Master (msg # 3):

Sounds like a plan.
Three Elks
 player, 18 posts
 Half Elf
 Barbarian/Bard
Sat 30 Mar 2019
at 14:26
OOC II
No more waiting!
Dungeon Master
 GM, 539 posts
Sat 30 Mar 2019
at 19:11
OOC II
Welcome back! I hope you had a good trip.

I'll work on moving things forward tonight or tomorrow.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 542 posts
Sun 7 Apr 2019
at 19:24
OOC II
Okay, Lucien is sending the illusion of the man in armor into the clearing near the tower (northeast side), but I'm not sure where everyone else is and what they're doing. Is everyone together? Or are you at different points around the edge of the clearing? And what exactly is the plan?

I'll wait to post anything in the main thread until I hear back about what everyone is doing.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 171 posts
 Tiefling
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 05:01
OOC II
Gazira is going a little behind the illusion.

The rest of us are trying to circle around the back.
Gazira Oakbarrel
 player, 24 posts
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 06:21
OOC II
I was actually a little confused about that.  I volunteered Gazira to go in as the diversion instead of an illusion, as I don't really see what purpose a non-communicative illusion serves here.  Nor is there any reason for Gazira to go out if an illusion does, because what good would that do instead?  We don't know what the situation is with the posted guard, so Gazira would be able to both hold his attention and potentially talk to him, where an illusion couldn't.
Three Elks
 player, 22 posts
 Half Elf
 Barbarian/Bard
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 15:00
OOC II
True, but the illusion provides you with a 50% chance of not getting hit with an arrow, should the guard decide to immediately attack instead of listening to you.  He may shoot at the illusion instead of Gazira.  So basically, your initial plan but with the added benefit of a possible decoy...can't hurt.
Gazira Oakbarrel
 player, 25 posts
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 15:46
OOC II
I volunteered because I'm not worried about getting hit by an arrow - Gazira's AC and HP are sufficiently tanky for the time being.  If the guard shoots at her, that answers the question and Gazira can just run off back into the cover of the woods.  If the guard doesn't shoot at her, she's stuck having to explain why she's accompanied by an illusory person she has no control over, which would paint her as super suspicious.
Lathan Swiftstrider
 player, 279 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 20:58
OOC II
Are we going to try to get to the gate while Gazira (or the illusion) distracts the guard? I think if we are going to try to get inside, we should all stay together. We don't know what awaits us inside the keep.

I'm not sure what to do but I think splitting up at this point is a bad idea.
Terminax
 player, 180 posts
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 21:38
OOC II
Ok, so here's what we know.

1. There is a lone guard outside the keep we want to go inside.
2. This Keep is supposed to be haunted and abandoned


So we are either looking at bandits, or ghosts.

If it's either, we don't want them to sound the alarm.

So, we should be in position to stop the guy from raising an alarm while gauging his reaction. I'm not concerned about one of us taking an arrow. I'm concerned with us being surrounded by a 100 ghosts/bandits because we didn't keep the alarm from being raised.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 505 posts
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 21:42
OOC II
I would generally agree that I don't think splitting up is the best idea. Assuming the guard challenges the illusion rather than shooting it, I was going to try a minor illusion to mimic a response. To Lucien's mind it is better to seem a little suspicious after the fact than walk straight into a trap. If everyone else wants to get ready to pummel this guy, that's probably not the worst plan.
Three Elks
 player, 23 posts
 Half Elf
 Barbarian/Bard
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 22:17
OOC II
My character doesn't really know anything about this place, only that your team suggested it may contain treasure.  Maybe we can use the ghost rumors to our advantage in tandem with the illusion.
Lathan Swiftstrider
 player, 280 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 22:47
OOC II
We don't really know much about it either, but I suspect it is well-defended. The 100 foot clearing all around the keep makes me especially nervous. It seems highly unlikely that we'll be able to make it to the keep unnoticed given the amount of open space we'll need to cover.

Lathan does have a longbow and the guard should be in its non-Disadvantage range. A distraction from one of the familiars could give Advantage to make the attack more likely to hit. Lucien, you should be proficient in longbows, right? I would gladly lend it to you; I think your ranged attack bonus is better than mine anyway, and you could potentially benefit from a sneak attack. Of course, if that doesn't take him out, he'll surely alert anyone else inside to our presence.

Also, how are we going to get inside if we do make it to the keep? The gates are barred from the inside, so I doubt we'll be able to force our way in. The walls are 15 feet high, so we could potentially scale them with rope. That's probably our best bet.

A lot to think about. Whatever we decide, Lathan will be there, but we need to be careful.
Terminax
 player, 181 posts
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 23:02
OOC II
How do we know they aren't friendly?
Gazira Oakbarrel
 player, 26 posts
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 23:20
OOC II
Hence why I'm suggesting Gazira actually go out and talk to the guy at the wall...
Lucien Nailo
 player, 506 posts
Tue 9 Apr 2019
at 00:20
OOC II
They might well be friendly. That's why I'm starting with the illusion. We need more information before we can do anything.

Lucien would object to Gazira just walking out (because he's paranoid), but he's focusing on the spell right now and he probably couldn't stop her anyway.

Lathan I have a longbow, not to worry, but it will probably take more than one shot to drop this guard even with sneak attack. I'd just suggest everyone be ready in case things go pear shaped, but maybe keep fingers off of our methaphorical triggers until we know more. Worst case we retreat into the woods.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 172 posts
 Tiefling
Tue 9 Apr 2019
at 00:53
OOC II
I just like redundancy.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 508 posts
Wed 10 Apr 2019
at 22:18
OOC II
Another suggestion might be to try and sneak in from the far side while they're distracted.
Terminax
 player, 183 posts
Wed 10 Apr 2019
at 22:40
OOC II
Or... just pull back and wait. It's an illusion... so... make it seem really creepy and make the guard look like an idiot in the process.

That way, we either ambush the folks that decide to search the woods for us, or we can send a familiar to cut the rope connecting the lever to the bell. That way we can maybe use the ghost sound to make him turn around, mage hand to put a knife point at his neck, and then ghost sound again to tell him that if he moves we'll cut his throat while we cross the clearing and take him captive.

Worst case scenario there is that he starts shouting and we unleash some readied ranged attacks while we close the distance.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 509 posts
Thu 11 Apr 2019
at 23:14
OOC II
In reply to Terminax (msg # 24):

Not a bad idea, but I'm going to give it a tick before dispelling the illusion. Only get two spell slots.
Terminax
 player, 184 posts
Fri 12 Apr 2019
at 01:37
OOC II
Wrong thread?

And yeah, makes sense.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 545 posts
Sun 14 Apr 2019
at 15:21
OOC II
Rissa, are you trying to talk to Lyntern Parlfray? He's not with you.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 174 posts
 Tiefling
Sun 14 Apr 2019
at 17:27
OOC II
Oh jesus, I thought we were bringing him along!  Wasn't that the whole thing?
Dungeon Master
 GM, 546 posts
Sun 14 Apr 2019
at 20:43
OOC II
You talked him out of going with you. He decided to talk to his father about letting him help to deal with the rabid dogs.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 175 posts
 Tiefling
Sun 14 Apr 2019
at 20:49
OOC II
I'm an idiot.  Edit incoming.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 510 posts
Sun 14 Apr 2019
at 20:50
OOC II
Well, other than depleting this guy's ammo slowly, I can't think of anything else for the illusion to do. Thoughts?
Dungeon Master
 GM, 548 posts
Wed 17 Apr 2019
at 21:06
OOC II
Sorry for the delayed response; I've been pretty sick the past few days. I'm still not feeling great but I am feeling well enough to get a post in, at least.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 179 posts
 Tiefling
Wed 17 Apr 2019
at 22:06
OOC II
Get healthy!  We'll be here when you're feeling better.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 512 posts
Fri 19 Apr 2019
at 14:26
OOC II
Yeah, no worries.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 549 posts
Tue 23 Apr 2019
at 17:21
OOC II
I think I am following the general plan--build two ladders and attempt to scale the walls later (at night)--but let me know if there is anything else you intend to do in the meantime.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 181 posts
 Tiefling
Tue 23 Apr 2019
at 18:45
OOC II
Probably scout and spy with familiars, right?  That's what they are for.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 515 posts
Tue 23 Apr 2019
at 22:43
OOC II
Yeah, definitely going to do a fly by with my owl so I can see things for myself.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 550 posts
Sat 27 Apr 2019
at 19:30
OOC II
I'll try to move things along tomorrow, so be sure to let me know what else you intend to do before that.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 182 posts
 Tiefling
Sat 27 Apr 2019
at 19:39
OOC II
Scouting with familiars, building ladders, that's all I think.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 551 posts
Mon 29 Apr 2019
at 16:28
OOC II
Let me know when you're ready to proceed. And let me know what the plan is for approaching the keep, too.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 183 posts
 Tiefling
Mon 29 Apr 2019
at 19:26
OOC II
Ready, approaching from the opposite direction that the illusion was sent from, unless there is an area with more natural cover, in which case that is the direction we should come from.
Lathan Swiftstrider
 player, 285 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
Tue 30 Apr 2019
at 00:07
OOC II
I'm confused. Are we going to try to take down the guard? If so, we should approach from the direction closest to him in order to have a chance of hitting him. If we're not going to try to take him down, approaching from the opposite direction makes sense. Perhaps then we could make it to the walls without him seeing us. Either way, there's 100 feet of open space all around the keep that we're going to have to cross quickly and quietly.
Three Elks
 player, 32 posts
 Half Elf
 Barbarian/Bard
Tue 30 Apr 2019
at 00:46
OOC II
There seem to be plenty of us.  I figure some can try to take out the archer.  Even if they fail to, they make a good distraction for the others as they approach from the opposite side with the ladders.

While stealth is always a good first attempt, I'm not too worried if that alarm does go off.  After all, no one came out of the gate last time.  Even if they are left waiting for us, we'll have height advantage on the roof top.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 517 posts
Tue 30 Apr 2019
at 21:37
OOC II
Lucien will go with Team Lookout Elimination.

That team should decide if we're going to try a long range take down or Terminax's sneaky climb & disable the alarm idea.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:40, Tue 30 Apr.

Lathan Swiftstrider
 player, 286 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
Thu 2 May 2019
at 20:53
OOC II
Do we know how the alarm works? Will it even be possible to disable it?

If you need Lathan to help with a long-range takedown, he can do that. Otherwise, he'll go with Three Elks and just scale the walls.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 552 posts
Sun 5 May 2019
at 18:53
OOC II
Sorry, everyone! I've been having internet connectivity issues all weekend. :(

I'm still waiting to hear how exactly you all intend to approach the keep. It sounds like you want to split into two different teams. Who will be on each team? Which direction will each time approach from? Give me some more details and we can move forward.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 184 posts
 Tiefling
Sun 5 May 2019
at 19:40
OOC II
Are there any angles from which we can approach the keep with cover?

I don't have a very good picture of what's going on, which makes it hard to plan.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 518 posts
Sun 5 May 2019
at 23:09
OOC II
Lucien is going to take a team to try and silently take out the sentry. We're going to try to hit him from range. If it works great; if not, we're a distraction.

I think the other team should try to stealthily scale the wall on the far side of the fortress. Lucien will loan his rope and grappling hook to supplement the ladder.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 185 posts
 Tiefling
Sun 5 May 2019
at 23:16
OOC II
Team ladder:
Rissa
Three Elks


Team sneak attack:
Lucien
Terminax
Lathan

This message was last edited by the player at 15:42, Tue 07 May.

Three Elks
 player, 33 posts
 Half Elf
 Barbarian/Bard
Sun 5 May 2019
at 23:52
OOC II
Team ladder
Terminax
 player, 188 posts
Tue 7 May 2019
at 02:54
OOC II
Team range
Lathan Swiftstrider
 player, 287 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
Tue 7 May 2019
at 14:05
OOC II
I'll go with Lucien's team.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 553 posts
Tue 7 May 2019
at 17:45
OOC II
To answer your question about cover, Rissa: Not really; the woods are cleared away from the keep 100 feet on all sides. Though the trees/foliage is quite dense outside this circle, in order to get to the keep, you'll have to travel through 100 feet of open field.

I am waiting to hear back from Gazira (I sent her player a PM) to see if she is still with us. Either way, I'll begin to implement the plan later tonight. So stay tuned!
Dungeon Master
 GM, 555 posts
Sat 11 May 2019
at 17:14
OOC II
So we lost Gazira... Let's move on without her.

You'll get a surprise round. Go ahead and post your actions for that round now.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 556 posts
Mon 13 May 2019
at 19:33
OOC II
We're just waiting to hear from Terminax and Rissa now.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 559 posts
Thu 16 May 2019
at 15:50
OOC II
Terminax, how do you intend to climb up the tower?
Terminax
 player, 193 posts
Thu 16 May 2019
at 16:51
OOC II
I imagine there is a ladder, or a way to climb up, or a door that leads to stairs?
Dungeon Master
 GM, 560 posts
Thu 16 May 2019
at 17:24
OOC II
There is no way up the tower visible from outside the keep. The tower is part of the keep, so presumably the entrance to the tower is inside the walls.
Lathan Swiftstrider
 player, 292 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
Mon 20 May 2019
at 17:08
OOC II
I'm not sure what exactly Terminax is suggesting, but if Terminax is going to go into the keep, Lathan would prefer to go with him. He's more effective in close combat anyway. But if Lucien wants to stay on the ramparts/tower, that's fine with me.
Terminax
 player, 196 posts
Mon 20 May 2019
at 19:43
OOC II
In reply to Lathan Swiftstrider (msg # 60):

I thought the tower was IN the keep, behind the walls. If I am mistaken... that's cool. But I figured we could climb up to the top somehow.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 561 posts
Mon 20 May 2019
at 20:34
OOC II
As I said above, the tower is part of the keep. It is not behind the walls; it is built into the walls.

The walls are 15 feet high and the top of the tower is another 15 feet above that, so yes, you can climb onto the tower once you are on the walls.

I'm also a little mixed up about what the plan is. Everyone should be on the walls now... What is the next step?
Terminax
 player, 197 posts
Mon 20 May 2019
at 20:42
OOC II
Looking for an entrance into the tower, and I'll be using the bat to also scout out where the rest of the bandits are.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 562 posts
Mon 20 May 2019
at 20:51
OOC II
There is no obvious entrance to the tower visible from the keep's courtyard. There is a spiral staircase leading down from the top of the tower and into the keep's main structure.

The only bandit in the courtyard is a lone guard stationed by the gate.
Terminax
 player, 198 posts
Mon 20 May 2019
at 21:00
OOC II
------------------------------Y-----
=                                                       =
=       kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk            =
=       kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk            =
=       kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk            =
=       kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk            =
=       kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk            =
=       kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk            =
=                                                       =
= ====                                             =
=  T    =                                             =
=        =                                             =
---X--------------------------------

T is the tower. I imagine we are at X and the other Crew is by Y.

- and = is the wall.

This was how I was imagining it.

Are you saying it's more like this?

------------------------------Y-----
=                                                       =
=       kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk            =
=       kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk            =
=       kkkkkkkTTTTTkkkkkk            =
=       kkkkkkkTTTTTkkkkkk            =
=       kkkkkkkTTTTTkkkkkk            =
=       kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk            =
=                                                       =
=                                                       =
=                                                       =
=                                                       =
---X--------------------------------
Dungeon Master
 GM, 563 posts
Mon 20 May 2019
at 21:17
OOC II
More like this, only more square:

            ======
         ====TTTT=
==========KKKTTTT=
=KKKKKKKKKKKKTTTT=
=KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK=
=KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK=
=KKK      KKKKKKK=
=KKK      KKKKKKK=
=KKK      KKKKKKK=
=KKK      KKKKKKK=
G         KKKKKKK=
G         KKKKKKK=
=KKKKKK   KKKKKKK=
=KKKKKK   KKKKKKK=
=KKKKKK   KKKKKKK=
=KKKKKK   KKKKKKK=
=KKKKKK   KKKKKKK=
==================

Terminax
 player, 199 posts
Mon 20 May 2019
at 22:00
OOC II


Ok... so we're in the square area.

Terminax's idea is for the archers to secure the top of the tower, which should help them keep an eye on the courtyard.

He wants to use the bat to find Team B's location, and to scout for where the bandits might be hiding.

First priority is to find our friends though, and see where they are, while he looks to see if there is an ambush point close to where they setup by the gate the last-time (which should be in the circled area).

In a pinch, if his friends are discovered or about to be, he wants whoever is at the lookout tower to ring the bell, which in theory should pull them towards the gate, where he has set himself up to ambush them with his fire breath and thunderwave.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 524 posts
Tue 21 May 2019
at 01:40
OOC II
Basically acting on Terminax's plan by climbing the tower and messaging team B.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 565 posts
Thu 23 May 2019
at 02:46
OOC II
Map updated to reflect doors (D) and chimneys (C):

            ======
         ====TTTT=
==========KKKTTTT=
=KKKKKKKKKKCKTTTT=
=KKKKKKKKKKCKKKKK=
=KKKKKKDKKKKKKKKK=
=KKD      KKKKKKK=
=KKD      KKKKKKK=
=KKK      KKKKKKK=
=KKK      DKKKKKC=
G         KKKKKKK=
G         KKKKKKK=
=KDKKDK   KKKKKKK=
=KKKKKK   KKKKKKK=
=KKKKKK   KKKKKKK=
=KKKKKD   KKKKKKK=
=KKKKKK   KKKKKKK=
==================

Dungeon Master
 GM, 566 posts
Sat 25 May 2019
at 19:18
OOC II
Are you stuck as to what to do next?
Dungeon Master
 GM, 567 posts
Sun 26 May 2019
at 20:44
OOC II
You will get a surprise round against the guard, so go ahead and post your actions for that round. (Lathan has already posted.)

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:53, Sun 26 May.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 569 posts
Wed 29 May 2019
at 20:51
OOC II
Terminax, where exactly are you headed to? The chimney? The door of the room with the chimney? Somewhere else?

You are all still on the roof, which is 15 feet high, except for Lucien, who is on the 30-foot-high-tower.
Terminax
 player, 204 posts
Wed 29 May 2019
at 21:14
OOC II
The door of the room with the chimney. In theory I have already "seen" the route I need to take.

I have feather fall and an athletics check, so I will make do however is quickest.
Three Elks
 player, 41 posts
 Half Elf
 Barbarian/Bard
Wed 29 May 2019
at 21:15
OOC II
I have a plan, but Im not sure how easy it would be to share with the others if were scattered about the roof.  Hes going to block one of the chimneys with his shield or backpack in an attempt to smoke out the inhabitants.  As they come out we pick them off with ranged attacks.  Will type up actions in character when I get home from work this evening.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 570 posts
Thu 30 May 2019
at 15:38
OOC II
Three Elks, only one of the chimneys is smoking. It is the one that Terminax indicated. The other two chimneys, which are next to each other, are not smoking. So you only need to block the one chimney and can keep your shield with you.
Three Elks
 player, 45 posts
 Half Elf
 Barbarian/Bard
Sat 1 Jun 2019
at 03:08
OOC II
Edited my post accordingly.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 572 posts
Sat 1 Jun 2019
at 03:26
OOC II
I'm not sure what you mean by "a bit of a drop from the door," Terminax...

If you intend to fight them in the courtyard, you have 60 feet clear directly across from the door in question, with 30 or more feet on either side of it.
Terminax
 player, 207 posts
Sun 2 Jun 2019
at 19:51
OOC II
So the entrance that these dudes will he coming out of is on the ground floor?

If so, I want to setup some objects to be launched at them when I use Thunderwave.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 573 posts
Sun 2 Jun 2019
at 20:27
OOC II
Yes, there is only one floor, apart from the tower.
Three Elks
 player, 47 posts
 Half Elf
 Barbarian/Bard
Mon 3 Jun 2019
at 17:13
OOC II
I'm not sure if surprise rounds grant advantage or not.  I also don't know if I'd be considered hidden or not, so I went ahead and included a second roll (advantage) in case I get it.  Hoping I do, since my first roll is likely a miss.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 575 posts
Mon 3 Jun 2019
at 21:44
OOC II
You'll have Advantage on your attacks this round.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 576 posts
Wed 5 Jun 2019
at 01:29
OOC II
We're waiting for Terminax and Rissa to post before we proceed.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 579 posts
Sun 9 Jun 2019
at 02:07
OOC II
Rissa, how are you planning to get down from the roof? It is a 15-foot drop down to the courtyard.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 198 posts
 Tiefling
Sun 9 Jun 2019
at 02:50
OOC II
Any stairways or ladders?  Or a window into the building?
Three Elks
 player, 49 posts
 Half Elf
 Barbarian/Bard
Sun 9 Jun 2019
at 03:28
OOC II
I pulled the ladder we made up onto the roof.  Should be easy enough to lower it down to the courtyard.  If that's what you want to do.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 532 posts
Sun 9 Jun 2019
at 15:18
OOC II
As a note Three Elks, Lucien is indoors. He's shouting out through the door Terminax and Lathan are at.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 580 posts
Mon 10 Jun 2019
at 16:24
OOC II
There are no stairways or ladders (other than the ladder you used to climb up), and definitely no windows on the roof. Like Three Elks said, you can grab the ladder and move it so you can climb down into the courtyard.

For reference, Lucien is inside the building, Terminax is in the courtyard, and Three Elks, Lathan, and Rissa are still on the roof.

I'll move on to the next round once we hear from Terminax.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 199 posts
 Tiefling
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 01:29
OOC II
Moving the ladder then, likely only with Three Elk's help though as I am rather puny.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 582 posts
Wed 12 Jun 2019
at 02:33
OOC II
We're still waiting for Terminax to post his actions for this round.

Also, Rissa, do you still want to descend into the courtyard now that the bandits have come out?
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 200 posts
 Tiefling
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 01:27
OOC II
Hell no!  Staying on the roof where it's safer.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 583 posts
Fri 14 Jun 2019
at 02:08
OOC II
I still haven't heard from Terminax; I hope we haven't lost him. I updated the post to indicate that he is backing up to the door. Lucien already posted his action for the next round. The rest of you can do so, too.
Three Elks
 player, 51 posts
 Half Elf
 Barbarian/Bard
Fri 14 Jun 2019
at 04:22
OOC II
Three Elks wanted to take advantage of having the higher ground.  He attempted to throw another javelin, but it clumsily slipped from his fingers, bounced off the edge of the roof, and tumbled uselessly to the courtyard below.  "Frak," he cursed.

Natural 1
Lucien Nailo
 player, 534 posts
Fri 14 Jun 2019
at 12:19
OOC II
In reply to Dungeon Master (msg # 91):

I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying about Terminax. I didn't mean to skip ahead.

Rissa Twiceborn:
Hell no!  Staying on the roof where it's safer.


Dogs can't climb ladders.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 203 posts
 Tiefling
Mon 17 Jun 2019
at 00:01
OOC II
Lucien heals for 3.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 536 posts
Mon 17 Jun 2019
at 20:05
OOC II
Based on the map, the teen is headed for the opposite door that the leader fled to right?
Dungeon Master
 GM, 586 posts
Mon 17 Jun 2019
at 21:23
OOC II
Correct. The teen is headed back to the door from which he emerged. The leader fled to the door that leads to the tower.
Terminax
 player, 212 posts
Tue 18 Jun 2019
at 01:46
OOC II
Sorry, life has been crazy hectic.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 588 posts
Wed 19 Jun 2019
at 02:16
OOC II
Terminax, I assumed you wouldn't want to cast your Thunderwave spell to take down one injured bandit, so I had you attack with your longsword. I hope you don't mind.
Terminax
 player, 214 posts
Wed 19 Jun 2019
at 03:35
OOC II
Perfect by me. :)
Lucien Nailo
 player, 545 posts
Fri 28 Jun 2019
at 02:01
OOC II
I saw that going differently in my mind.
Three Elks
 player, 59 posts
 Half Elf
 Barbarian/Bard
Fri 28 Jun 2019
at 15:32
OOC II
Given the size and location of the room do any other doors in the hallway lead into it?
Dungeon Master
 GM, 593 posts
Sat 29 Jun 2019
at 18:27
OOC II
No.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 594 posts
Sun 30 Jun 2019
at 19:43
OOC II
The room is well-lit by candles and lanterns, so a Light spell is not necessary. Feel free to change your action if you want to, Rissa.

We're still waiting for Terminax to post. If we don't hear from him tomorrow, I'll keep things moving.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 546 posts
Sun 30 Jun 2019
at 21:07
OOC II
In reply to Dungeon Master (msg # 103):

Sorry, I was still thinking of the dark hallway
Dungeon Master
 GM, 595 posts
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 02:10
OOC II
Rissa, what did you want to do, since the Light spell is not necessary?
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 209 posts
 Tiefling
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 02:28
OOC II
19:27, Today: Rissa Twiceborn rolled 23 using 1d20+5.  Eldritch Blast.

19:28, Today: Rissa Twiceborn rolled 13 using 1d10+3.  Damage.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 596 posts
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 02:33
OOC II
Who are you targeting with the Eldritch Blast? The one-eyed man?
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 210 posts
 Tiefling
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 02:38
OOC II
Yes.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 211 posts
 Tiefling
Wed 3 Jul 2019
at 01:34
OOC II
Enchantment?  I'm confused.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 598 posts
Wed 3 Jul 2019
at 20:40
OOC II
He cast Hold Person on you. Then you broke free.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 212 posts
 Tiefling
Thu 4 Jul 2019
at 01:43
OOC II
Ha, that bastard.
Three Elks
 player, 62 posts
 Half Elf
 Barbarian/Bard
Fri 5 Jul 2019
at 02:11
OOC II
Did we lose Terminax?
Three Elks
 player, 63 posts
 Half Elf
 Barbarian/Bard
Fri 5 Jul 2019
at 13:43
OOC II
So, just so I have all this pictured correctly:

Lucian and Rissa are in the hallway shooting.  Three Elks is in the hallway, using the doorway itself as a funnel so I'm not fighting more than one at a time.  Where is Lathan? In the room? Terminax has disappeared. Correct?
Lathan Swiftstrider
 player, 307 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
Sat 6 Jul 2019
at 02:57
OOC II
Lathan is in the room.

Terminax hasn't logged in for a while it looks like, but the DM is still having him attack.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 549 posts
Sat 6 Jul 2019
at 12:54
OOC II
In reply to Three Elks (msg # 113):

That's accurate for Lucien. If Lathan is in the room, is he adjacent to the one eyed man so that I'd get sneak attack?
Dungeon Master
 GM, 600 posts
Sat 6 Jul 2019
at 13:45
OOC II
No. The one-eyed man is not engaged in the melee. He is standing back behind the zombies and orcs casting spells.'

And yes, it looks like we may have lost Terminax, but I'll keep him around at least through this fight.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:34, Sat 06 July.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 602 posts
Mon 8 Jul 2019
at 20:58
OOC II
Rissa, I hope you don't mind that I switched your attack to one of the zombies in the room, since you could no longer see the one-eyed man.
Three Elks
 player, 65 posts
 Half Elf
 Barbarian/Bard
Wed 10 Jul 2019
at 14:09
OOC II
Will be leaving the state this Friday.  Will be unlikely to post for a week.

Three Elks will stick with this Rage for as long as possible, but at this point will likely try and convince the others to retreat back to the upper levels, barricade the stairwell, and try to come up with a better plan for clearing out the lower level.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:10, Wed 10 July.

Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 216 posts
 Tiefling
Thu 11 Jul 2019
at 01:09
OOC II
In reply to Dungeon Master (msg # 117):

Not at all!
Dungeon Master
 GM, 604 posts
Fri 12 Jul 2019
at 00:19
OOC II
Three Elks, the only remaining undead are in the hallway. Are you going to go attack one of them or are you going to stay in the room and attack one of the orcs?
Lucien Nailo
 player, 555 posts
Sat 20 Jul 2019
at 23:06
OOC II
Three Elks gets the last vote, but it sounds like we're going to pursue.
Three Elks
 player, 67 posts
 Half Elf
 Barbarian/Bard
Sun 21 Jul 2019
at 00:39
OOC II
He could be convinced either way, but believes it would be wiser to secure the upper levels, recover their strength and make smaller incursions into the lower levels at full strength.
Lathan Swiftstrider
 player, 314 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
Tue 23 Jul 2019
at 23:25
OOC II
Sorry for the double post; I got tired of waiting for someone else to lead the way.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 224 posts
 Tiefling
Fri 2 Aug 2019
at 01:22
OOC II
Never apologize for taking the lead in play by post.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 560 posts
Fri 2 Aug 2019
at 01:41
OOC II
Agreed
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 227 posts
 Tiefling
Sat 3 Aug 2019
at 00:19
OOC II
Ooh, is that a long rest I smell?

This message was last edited by the player at 06:13, Sat 03 Aug.

Terminax
 player, 216 posts
Sat 3 Aug 2019
at 22:09
OOC II
Hi folks. I'm the newbie. Just reading up and getting myself caught up!
Lucien Nailo
 player, 562 posts
Sat 3 Aug 2019
at 22:21
OOC II
In reply to Rissa Twiceborn (msg # 126):

I certainly hope so!

Hello new Terminax!
Terminax
 player, 217 posts
Sun 4 Aug 2019
at 01:03
OOC II
Ahhh. A nice long rest :)


It would be very helpful if everyone can post their character description with their character class. Thanks!
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 229 posts
 Tiefling
Sun 4 Aug 2019
at 04:10
OOC II
Rissa is a strange looking creature.  Clearly a Tiefling, she makes no effort to disguise her demonic heritage with hoods or cloaks.  The purple flesh of her face  is heavily marred with intricate tattoo work, monochromatic in dark black.  They bare no form or easily discernible meaning, at least to those who lack the lorecraft to read Celestial and Infernal, repeating geometric shapes and strange symbols that begin at her cheeks and travel down at least as far as the high collar of her studded leather jerkin.  To those who can, the arcane symbols of binding and containment are immediately clear.

Her ears and horns are heavily pierced and adorned with jewelry and rings, with some trinkets of real value mixed in among the cheap costume jewelry.  The armor she wore looked new, solid quality, though lacking the embellishments that the upper classes might bear.  Now, the first signs of wear are beginning to show, the left shoulder dented by what looked to have been a heavy blow. It still looks functional, a dull grey with black studs at regular intervals.  A knife rests at each hip, though those appear to be her only visible weapons.  Under the leathers she wears simple traveler's clothes, the heavy backpack over her shoulders and good knee high boots on her feet making it clear that she is ready to travel.



Hello new Terminax!

Currently Warlock 2, about to convert to Sorcerer 1 if the DM allows it.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:20, Sun 04 Aug.

Lucien Nailo
 player, 563 posts
Sun 4 Aug 2019
at 10:16
OOC II
Lucien is an averaged sized elven man; that is to say slightly shorter than the average human man. He has well groomed, long, brown hair that is tied in a tight knot behind his head. His eyes are deep green and, when not hidden beneath his cowl, his features are sharp and angular. He wears a cloak over leather armor that is covered in a variety of pockets. There is a thin rapier sheathed at his side and a longbow and quiver of arrows strapped to his back. All of his gear is some shade of dark brown or green as though to blend in to the shadows.

As far as personality, Terminax has been around long enough to know that Lucien is constantly on edge to the point of paranoia. When the party is in town, Lucien adopts his cover identity: Seliar Silversong, a roguish gambler who is significantly less dour than Lucien.

Lucien is a Rogue 3, Arcane Trickster. I've still got a ways to go to 4th level so I'm glad that it sounds like others are catching up a little.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 613 posts
Sun 4 Aug 2019
at 23:47
OOC II
Where are you intending to rest? I get the impression that you intend to rest in the large room with the table where the one-eyed man was before he fled downstairs, but I want to make sure.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 231 posts
 Tiefling
Mon 5 Aug 2019
at 00:28
OOC II
Unless there is a guardhouse we could hole up in, that seems like a good plan.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 566 posts
Mon 5 Aug 2019
at 01:16
OOC II
That's where I was thinking.
Terminax
 player, 218 posts
Tue 6 Aug 2019
at 15:01
OOC II
Hello everybody! I am the new Terminax! Ready for all your fighting and wizarding needs!

Everybody already knows Bombor, right?

*Bat Squeaks*

Whose a good boy? Whose my good little bat!? Whose the best familiar in the world? You are! Yes you are!

*Bat stares at Terminax, looks at everybody else and pulls out a small sign from under its wing.*

Please kill me.

Lucien Nailo
 player, 568 posts
Tue 6 Aug 2019
at 23:08
OOC II
This tonal shift from Terminax is going to be a major adjustment :P

Welcome!
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 234 posts
 Tiefling
Wed 7 Aug 2019
at 00:32
OOC II
Lol, just a tad.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 235 posts
 Tiefling
Thu 8 Aug 2019
at 01:02
OOC II
Now every battered adventurer's most pressing question...

"do we get a long rest, or does something interrupt us?"
Three Elks
 player, 74 posts
 Half Elf
 Barbarian/Bard
Fri 9 Aug 2019
at 02:15
OOC II
I didn't miss a level up post did I?
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 239 posts
 Tiefling
Fri 9 Aug 2019
at 02:33
OOC II
The DM is constantly updating the XP total on your own sheet.

I went ding last fight, but had to wait for a long rest for the level of Sorcerer to kick in.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 616 posts
Sat 10 Aug 2019
at 18:56
OOC II
I'll send you a private message when you level up, too.

Sorry for the silence the past couple of days. I'll work on getting caught up now.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 572 posts
Sun 11 Aug 2019
at 03:30
OOC II
Was there a fireplace in any of the rooms we've already explored?
Dungeon Master
 GM, 618 posts
Sun 11 Aug 2019
at 21:10
OOC II
There was a big fireplace in the banquet hall, where you first encountered the one-eyed man in the keep.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 620 posts
Sun 11 Aug 2019
at 21:33
OOC II
I'm starting a new D&D 5e game: link to another game. You are all more than welcome to apply.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 241 posts
 Tiefling
Sun 11 Aug 2019
at 22:56
OOC II
I wish.  I start grad school on Sept 3rd, and I made a promise to myself.

NO NEW GAMES.

At least until I get a handle on what school is going to be like.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 621 posts
Sun 11 Aug 2019
at 22:58
OOC II
Congratulations on starting graduate school. What kind of program are you in?
Lucien Nailo
 player, 574 posts
Mon 12 Aug 2019
at 01:04
OOC II
I think I'm maxed out on games for the time being too.

@Rissa: unless I'm very much mistaken, I've already gotten past the locked door. It was the storeroom where I found the supplies.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 622 posts
Mon 12 Aug 2019
at 01:30
OOC II
That's correct. The locked door was the storeroom.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 243 posts
 Tiefling
Mon 12 Aug 2019
at 01:36
OOC II
Oops, correcting!
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 244 posts
 Tiefling
Tue 13 Aug 2019
at 04:52
OOC II
Ha, let's not have wasted the short rest.

I nominate Three Elks to have been communing with the weapon while we were setting up.

Who had the cloak?
Lucien Nailo
 player, 577 posts
Wed 14 Aug 2019
at 01:14
OOC II
In reply to Rissa Twiceborn (msg # 150):

Lucien is wearing the cloak. Out of character, it is a Cloak of the Bat and I would like to hang on to it. In character, Lucien pointedly hasn't mentioned any enchantments since he put it on.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 245 posts
 Tiefling
Wed 14 Aug 2019
at 01:35
OOC II
You sneaky sneak, I like it.

Three Elks?
Three Elks
 player, 78 posts
 Half Elf
 Barbarian/Bard
Wed 14 Aug 2019
at 14:00
OOC II
Sure if there was time.  Three Elks doesn't have any Arcane knowledge skill though.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 578 posts
Wed 14 Aug 2019
at 21:20
OOC II
Technically, neither does Lucien.
Three Elks
 player, 80 posts
 Half Elf
 Barbarian/Bard
Fri 16 Aug 2019
at 13:55
OOC II
Three Elks doesn't have much in the way of wisdom, but he is proficient in animal handling.  I think it would prove wise to spend some time, if not now, then before the next long rest to see if he can win over the trust of the hounds.  They would make good guards for the upper levels of the keep.

Should he:  Do it now, causing a split in the exploration party? Or later in the day?
Lucien Nailo
 player, 581 posts
Sat 17 Aug 2019
at 03:33
OOC II
Is there much left of the surface level that we haven't explored?
Dungeon Master
 GM, 625 posts
Sat 17 Aug 2019
at 20:07
OOC II
There's not a whole lot more on the surface level, about four or five more rooms/areas.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 588 posts
Thu 29 Aug 2019
at 21:53
OOC II
I have family visiting this weekend so I may be a little spotty on posts.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 635 posts
Sun 8 Sep 2019
at 17:22
OOC II
I just realized that I forgot to mention that the party found three keys on the one-eyed man earlier: a simple brass key, a corroded copper key, and a small silver key.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 594 posts
Wed 11 Sep 2019
at 22:17
OOC II
I cannot believe I forgot to use mage hand to open that coffer. I literally just used it earlier. That's the whole point of mage hand. Also, I'm really glad I made that (presumably) Dex Save.

There's a lot of stuff in there though. I'll make an IC post in a bit, but let's go ahead and assume Lucien shares out the money equally. Someone should wear the bracelet for an hour to see if it's magical, if not we can sell it and split the money. Lucien will hold on to the new key along with the other keys for now.

Now for these flasks. We never identified the origin of the symbols on the ring (or the goblin's tattoos for that matter), but our wizard said that they were linked to the element of water. It's probably best to just keep them safe until we can identify them.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 256 posts
 Tiefling
Thu 12 Sep 2019
at 04:02
OOC II
That's

133 gold and 30 platinum per person.

@DM, can we have a loot thread for the platinum bracelet set with chrysoberyls, two emeralds, and a sapphire. Also, wrapped in a piece of silk is a gilded key with an ivory handle. Finally, he finds two silvered flasks, each containing a viscous liquid smelling faintly of fish?

I'll be happy to take care of posting in it.