OOC II.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Dungeon Master
 GM, 537 posts
Tue 19 Mar 2019
at 01:24
OOC II
Quite an impressive display, everyone! You made quick work of those bugbears. I'll have to make things more difficult for you... :)

And enjoy your vacation, Three Elks! We'll be waiting for you when you return.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 496 posts
Tue 19 Mar 2019
at 02:01
OOC II
In reply to Dungeon Master (msg # 1):

Promises promises.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 538 posts
Sat 23 Mar 2019
at 19:09
OOC II
With Lathan leading the way, you'll be able to move through the wilderness fairly quickly. And if you still intend to use your familiar(s) to scout ahead, you shouldn't have too much difficulty locating what you're looking for. However, I would prefer to wait until Three Elks returns from his trip--he said he'd be gone the last two weeks of March--before I have you reach it.

So if everyone is okay with it, let's wait one week before we move on to the next part. In the meantime, feel free to continue to have your characters talk to each other as they travel.
Terminax
 player, 176 posts
Sat 23 Mar 2019
at 20:08
OOC II
Works for me.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 164 posts
 Tiefling
Sat 23 Mar 2019
at 20:18
OOC II
I'm cool with it.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 499 posts
Sun 24 Mar 2019
at 00:45
OOC II
In reply to Dungeon Master (msg # 3):

Sounds like a plan.
Three Elks
 player, 18 posts
 Half Elf
 Barbarian/Bard
Sat 30 Mar 2019
at 14:26
OOC II
No more waiting!
Dungeon Master
 GM, 539 posts
Sat 30 Mar 2019
at 19:11
OOC II
Welcome back! I hope you had a good trip.

I'll work on moving things forward tonight or tomorrow.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 542 posts
Sun 7 Apr 2019
at 19:24
OOC II
Okay, Lucien is sending the illusion of the man in armor into the clearing near the tower (northeast side), but I'm not sure where everyone else is and what they're doing. Is everyone together? Or are you at different points around the edge of the clearing? And what exactly is the plan?

I'll wait to post anything in the main thread until I hear back about what everyone is doing.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 171 posts
 Tiefling
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 05:01
OOC II
Gazira is going a little behind the illusion.

The rest of us are trying to circle around the back.
Gazira Oakbarrel
 player, 24 posts
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 06:21
OOC II
I was actually a little confused about that.  I volunteered Gazira to go in as the diversion instead of an illusion, as I don't really see what purpose a non-communicative illusion serves here.  Nor is there any reason for Gazira to go out if an illusion does, because what good would that do instead?  We don't know what the situation is with the posted guard, so Gazira would be able to both hold his attention and potentially talk to him, where an illusion couldn't.
Three Elks
 player, 22 posts
 Half Elf
 Barbarian/Bard
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 15:00
OOC II
True, but the illusion provides you with a 50% chance of not getting hit with an arrow, should the guard decide to immediately attack instead of listening to you.  He may shoot at the illusion instead of Gazira.  So basically, your initial plan but with the added benefit of a possible decoy...can't hurt.
Gazira Oakbarrel
 player, 25 posts
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 15:46
OOC II
I volunteered because I'm not worried about getting hit by an arrow - Gazira's AC and HP are sufficiently tanky for the time being.  If the guard shoots at her, that answers the question and Gazira can just run off back into the cover of the woods.  If the guard doesn't shoot at her, she's stuck having to explain why she's accompanied by an illusory person she has no control over, which would paint her as super suspicious.
Lathan Swiftstrider
 player, 279 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 20:58
OOC II
Are we going to try to get to the gate while Gazira (or the illusion) distracts the guard? I think if we are going to try to get inside, we should all stay together. We don't know what awaits us inside the keep.

I'm not sure what to do but I think splitting up at this point is a bad idea.
Terminax
 player, 180 posts
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 21:38
OOC II
Ok, so here's what we know.

1. There is a lone guard outside the keep we want to go inside.
2. This Keep is supposed to be haunted and abandoned


So we are either looking at bandits, or ghosts.

If it's either, we don't want them to sound the alarm.

So, we should be in position to stop the guy from raising an alarm while gauging his reaction. I'm not concerned about one of us taking an arrow. I'm concerned with us being surrounded by a 100 ghosts/bandits because we didn't keep the alarm from being raised.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 505 posts
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 21:42
OOC II
I would generally agree that I don't think splitting up is the best idea. Assuming the guard challenges the illusion rather than shooting it, I was going to try a minor illusion to mimic a response. To Lucien's mind it is better to seem a little suspicious after the fact than walk straight into a trap. If everyone else wants to get ready to pummel this guy, that's probably not the worst plan.
Three Elks
 player, 23 posts
 Half Elf
 Barbarian/Bard
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 22:17
OOC II
My character doesn't really know anything about this place, only that your team suggested it may contain treasure.  Maybe we can use the ghost rumors to our advantage in tandem with the illusion.
Lathan Swiftstrider
 player, 280 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 22:47
OOC II
We don't really know much about it either, but I suspect it is well-defended. The 100 foot clearing all around the keep makes me especially nervous. It seems highly unlikely that we'll be able to make it to the keep unnoticed given the amount of open space we'll need to cover.

Lathan does have a longbow and the guard should be in its non-Disadvantage range. A distraction from one of the familiars could give Advantage to make the attack more likely to hit. Lucien, you should be proficient in longbows, right? I would gladly lend it to you; I think your ranged attack bonus is better than mine anyway, and you could potentially benefit from a sneak attack. Of course, if that doesn't take him out, he'll surely alert anyone else inside to our presence.

Also, how are we going to get inside if we do make it to the keep? The gates are barred from the inside, so I doubt we'll be able to force our way in. The walls are 15 feet high, so we could potentially scale them with rope. That's probably our best bet.

A lot to think about. Whatever we decide, Lathan will be there, but we need to be careful.
Terminax
 player, 181 posts
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 23:02
OOC II
How do we know they aren't friendly?
Gazira Oakbarrel
 player, 26 posts
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 23:20
OOC II
Hence why I'm suggesting Gazira actually go out and talk to the guy at the wall...
Lucien Nailo
 player, 506 posts
Tue 9 Apr 2019
at 00:20
OOC II
They might well be friendly. That's why I'm starting with the illusion. We need more information before we can do anything.

Lucien would object to Gazira just walking out (because he's paranoid), but he's focusing on the spell right now and he probably couldn't stop her anyway.

Lathan I have a longbow, not to worry, but it will probably take more than one shot to drop this guard even with sneak attack. I'd just suggest everyone be ready in case things go pear shaped, but maybe keep fingers off of our methaphorical triggers until we know more. Worst case we retreat into the woods.
Rissa Twiceborn
 player, 172 posts
 Tiefling
Tue 9 Apr 2019
at 00:53
OOC II
I just like redundancy.
Lucien Nailo
 player, 508 posts
Wed 10 Apr 2019
at 22:18
OOC II
Another suggestion might be to try and sneak in from the far side while they're distracted.
Terminax
 player, 183 posts
Wed 10 Apr 2019
at 22:40
OOC II
Or... just pull back and wait. It's an illusion... so... make it seem really creepy and make the guard look like an idiot in the process.

That way, we either ambush the folks that decide to search the woods for us, or we can send a familiar to cut the rope connecting the lever to the bell. That way we can maybe use the ghost sound to make him turn around, mage hand to put a knife point at his neck, and then ghost sound again to tell him that if he moves we'll cut his throat while we cross the clearing and take him captive.

Worst case scenario there is that he starts shouting and we unleash some readied ranged attacks while we close the distance.