Day 1 - Mellikho Stoneworks.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 40 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 9 Nov 2016
at 20:53
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Jak stepped along as quietly as he could while still moving fast. However, he cast a quick spell first, one to make some more natural-sounding noises to cover his hasty stealth. Some wind rustling through the area, low-level and not unnoticeable. Twitch squeaked at him and Jak looked surprised as he hurried off.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:57, Wed 09 Nov 2016.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 73 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Wed 9 Nov 2016
at 21:01
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Mayon had been quiet briefly, lost in thought. Cloaked figures and stone masks. Stone...a chill runs down his spine.

"I...this is just a hunch, but...what if these people are connected to those portals? Guarding them or, I don't know, worshipping them. Or something else connected to them." He looks between Bram and Verthel, eyes wide and a bit anxious. "If that's the case, then the sooner we can do something, the better for everyone involved."
DM
 GM, 151 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 9 Nov 2016
at 21:38
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
"I heard something, up there on the north side," a muffled voice says from the bottom of the quarry. "Go check it out."

Five pinpoint lights spring up around the quarry. The pinpricks of light dance as shadowy figures hurry toward the embankments in the direction of where Asano and Jak hid.


Asano thinks there's enough time for him to hurry after Jak before the figures reach the top of the quarry.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:42, Thu 10 Nov 2016.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 46 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 10 Nov 2016
at 03:04
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Asano stifles a curse as the lights bobbed toward his hiding place. Thinking quickly, he grabs a small stone and tosses it in the opposite direction of Jak's egress. He readies his crystal rod, just in case.

OOC:
Tossing the rock approximately 40 feet along the ridge, trying to get it to skitter a bit. If they get too close, I'm casting Sleep.

DM
 GM, 152 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 10 Nov 2016
at 21:35
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
The bobbing lights approach alarmingly fast as the figures bound up the relatively moderate slopes of the quarry. The five figures spread out at the sound of the thrown rock, with some headed towards that spot and others toward the general area of Asano and Jak's hiding place, even in the direction of the road.

As they come closer Asano can tell they are well armed, with curved scimitars and crossbows at their waists. The hooded lantern light reflects luridly off their bizarre stone masks. Their leather armor bears some sort of strange emblem.

The figures are starting to fan out. Asano still thinks he can make a dash for the road before they reach the top of the quarry. You're starting to think it may be wise to do so...

Asano also thinks they are probably all more than 20' away from each other, meaning you won't be able to catch more than one of them in a Sleep spell.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 47 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 10 Nov 2016
at 21:57
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Asano grinds his teeth in frustration as the group fans out. He takes a long look at the symbol on their armor, committing it to memory before making a mad dash for the road.

OOC:
Running as fast as my half-elven legs will carry me.

DM
 GM, 154 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 11 Nov 2016
at 17:11
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
The shouts of a coordinated search recede behind Asano as he and Jak reach the relatively well-lit main road of Red Larch. As Jak and Asano look back, there appears to be no pursuit.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:20, Fri 11 Nov 2016.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 48 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Fri 11 Nov 2016
at 17:49
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
"Well, that was refreshing...and enlightening," Asano grins, looking back along the road. "Shall we return to the others? Maybe one of them can track those masked men."
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 42 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sat 12 Nov 2016
at 19:40
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Jak gave a wide grin but mixed with an apologetic look at Asano. "Sorry! I wasn't as quiet as I thought, 'specially not movin' fast."

He burst in to the inn and looked around for his friends. "Guys! Come on, quick! We seen 'em! If we're quick we might catch 'em!"
Morg Danforge
 player, 43 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Sat 12 Nov 2016
at 22:45
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Morg gulps down the last of his ale and wipes the crumbs off his beard. "Aye!" he says as he grabs his shield, and hurries to Jak while taking out his warhammer.


Mayon Graycross
 player, 75 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sat 12 Nov 2016
at 22:53
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Mayon is a bit startled by the sudden entrance, but he nods and follows quickly, his quarterstaff gripped firmly in one hand, though his preference for combat lay in the crystals embedded in the palm of his gloves.
Bramwell Caulder
 player, 49 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Mon 14 Nov 2016
at 21:18
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Bram's eyelids drooped and he was considering making his way to the Swinging Sword's dormitory room when Jak's sudden appearance startled him back to wakefulness.  He blinked rapidly and adjusted his spectacles, and it took a good several moments to gather his wits.  When he finally got what the fuss was about he was on his feet in an instant and gathering up his things, "Well done, Jak.  Tell us the rest on the way."  The half-elf wondered idly how this scene might look to any townsfolk who might happen to be watching, but there was no time to think overmuch on that now!
Harburk Tuthmarillar
 NPC, 1 post
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 02:36
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
The group exits the Swinging Sword into the cold night air. There are few passersby on the Long Road, yet a group of four immediately walks toward them from across the street.

One bears a familiar face in the dim lamplight from the inn: Albaeri Mellikho, bundled in a heavy fur coat. Her mien a thunderhead, she strides just behind a large man recognizable as a patron of the tavern. Two of his companions walk behind them, bearing simple spears.

"That's them," she mutters to the large man as they approach. He nods.

"'Scuse me strangers," the deep throated man begins, positioning himself directly in the group's path. "I'm Constable Harburk, by way of introduction. Albaeri here has informed me there's been some activity at the quarry tonight, couple intruders poking about. Probably nothing," he says, ignoring Mellikho's sidelong glare, "but we do have to keep the peace in this town."

"She said the six of you asked to be shown around the quarry before sundown, and it had something to do with stories from the stonecutters. Not sure what that's all about," he trails off, looking at the faces in the group.

After a second's pause he clears his throat, and glances meaningfully at Mellikho. "Albaeri here is headed back to her house to sleep, as she's got a full day tomorrow. Even though my trusties have some hogs to slaughter in the morning, I've sent a couple of them to watch over the quarry for the night." He looks back at the group with an unreadable expression. "Jalessa's going to be put out that half her first shift was up all night, and my other trusties need their rest. Nobody's making any accusations here, but there will be no more trouble in this town tonight."

"So," he continues idly, "where are you all headed at this hour?"
Asano Breathkill
 player, 49 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 05:09
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
"Honestly, Constable, we were just discussing that ourselves," Asano says smoothly. "We've heard a number of rumors of troubles near to town, and simply wanted to look into them, allowing you and your men the time necessary to keep the peace within the town itself." He looks apologetically at Albaeri, continuing, "Mistress Mellikho, we sincerely apologize for interrupting your evening. I'm just wondering what it was that may have happened since we left that led you to calling upon the constable here? Surely our visit wasn't that unsettling."

OOC:
Persuasion- 19

Harburk Tuthmarillar
 NPC, 2 posts
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 21:17
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Mellikho harrumphs and scowls at Asano, but holds her tongue.

"Albaeri is - particular - about her quarry," Harburk says with a wry smile. "I've got my trusties down there for the night, and they should keep things as she likes them - regardless of mysterious watchers, trespassers, owlbears..." He trails off as Mellikho scoffs.

"If you're lookin to help Red Larch, best not antagonize one of its own Elders,"
he continues. "Instead, if you want to be useful, there's reports of banditry off the Cairn Road, south of town. I don't have time to be wandering around the countryside looking for pickpockets, but adventuresome folk can be handy with those types. If you like I can give you some likely locations for bandit hideouts - but, in the morning. It's time for decent folk to rest."

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 21:17, Tue 15 Nov 2016.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 44 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 21:50
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Jak's face scrunched up as if he'd bitten into something surprisingly sour. "Ya mean those men in the masks at the quarry work fer YOU then? They be your deputies or watchmen or whatever? 'Cause they weren't rumors. We seen 'em there at the quarry. Or perhaps they work for Mistress Mellikho an' that's why she don't want anyone snoopin' around."

He gave a shrug. "Regardless, if the owner o'the quarry AN' the law both want us to let the horned mask person alone, we shall I guess. Let the quarry workers be scared I guess."
Albaeri Mellikho
 NPC, 7 posts
 Owner
 Mellikho Stoneworks
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 23:22
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Mellikho's face scrunches up into a fury. "What men in masks? There weren't nobody down there but you vandals!"

"I hurried out of my house and down to the quarry after I heard a whole lot a yelling and rocks falling. There weren't nothing there but some fleeing hoodlums - and you just admitted you were them!"


She splutters on, her shouting echoing off the nearby buildings. "Tellin' ghost stories about masked figures - you're just chasing some made up, stupid treasure down there, no good 'venturers! Harburk's men'll throttle you good if you try anythin'! I've a mind to do the same myself!" She rolls up her sleeves and takes a deliberate step in the group's direction before Harburk's men restrain her.
Harburk Tuthmarillar
 NPC, 3 posts
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 23:22
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Harburk murmurs some soothing words to the quarrymaster until she at least stops shouting. At Harburk's direction, his trusties lead her off back towards her house. Then he turns a stern gaze to Jak. "I'll thank you to stay off private property throughout your stay in Red Larch. Or no amount of bandit catching is likely to save you from spending a night hanging by a hook in the smokehouse, answering difficult questions. From me."

He sighs, shaking his head. "Look, I think your hearts are in the right place, but you can't antagonize Albaeri. She's a prickly one. I've heard the tales of watchers from those stonecutters, but there's little evidence they exist and none that they did anything but watch, and she swears up and down there's nobody there at night."

"I guess you folks saw something,"
he says, looking questioningly at Jak, but quickly goes on, "but if you did, that means you were there and I'd have to haul you in for trespassing. So I don't know anything about that. You hear? It would be your word against Albaeri's, and that won't end well for you all. I'm already doing all I can, putting my men down in the quarry tonight."

"Why don't you lay low for a while. Check out the Cairn Road, show people in town you can be trusted. Myself included. Then maybe we can talk about strange masked figures."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:23, Tue 15 Nov 2016.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 76 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 23:41
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
"Understood, sir." Mayon says softly, dipping his head and feeling a bit foolish. Well, it only made sense that she would go to the guards about this sort of thing. This shouldn't have come as a surprise.


16:40, Today: Mayon Graycross rolled 6 using 1d20+2.  Insight check. Trying to see if he might be lying about sending men down to look, though I'm gonna say I don't see jack :P
Morg Danforge
 player, 44 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Wed 16 Nov 2016
at 00:50
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Morg, trusting Jak that there were masked watchers, scrunches his eyes at Harburk, wondering if he's in cahoots with Mellikho.

"What are 'trusties'?" he says to the constable.

02:46, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 4 using 1d20+1.  Insight check on Harburk.

Harburk Tuthmarillar
 NPC, 4 posts
Wed 16 Nov 2016
at 01:31
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
"Deputies, if you like," Harburk smiles. "The trusties are my assistant constables, but they're really just assistants to my wife Jalessa, the butcher. When they're not keeping an eye out for trespassers they cut and preserve meat."
Bramwell Caulder
 player, 50 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Wed 16 Nov 2016
at 03:36
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Bram arrived late to the discussion, just in time to see Mellikho rage at Jak.  He stepped up behind his comrade, listening closely with a calm but concerned expression.  As the deputies led the quarrymaster off, the paladin bowed respectfully and introduced himself to the constable.  "I am glad to hear that your men have the situation in hand, good Constable.  While our motives were and are benevolent, we respect yours and Madame Mellikho's position on this matter and apologize for causing any disturbance."

He paused for a brief spell, seeming to ponder something.  Then he took a deep breath and said calmly, "On the other hand, I note a curious disparity in this... controversy.  It is your lawful duty to investigate trespassing on private property, and you were correct to investigate us on the matter.  Yet you and the quarrymaster seem unconcerned with masked trespassers now reported by several witnesses, including my friend Jakrynn whose word I will vouch for.  Indeed, you've excused their trespassing on the grounds that they seemed content only to watch.  I will grant that acting openly with noble intent has made us the easier party to locate, but I hope that you will show the same diligence in pursuing those who would suspiciously disguise their identities and intentions, Constable."  There was no accusation in his words, but simply an assessment of the facts and priorities of the situation as he saw them, and he assumed that the Constable would see it that way as well.  Then again his 'assessments' had often been taken poorly, much to his bewilderment.


Insight check on the constable:
  • 18:25, Today: Secret Roll: Bramwell Caulder rolled 19 using 1d20.  Insight.

Harburk Tuthmarillar
 NPC, 5 posts
Wed 16 Nov 2016
at 12:51
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Harburk considers Bram's words, then shakes his head. "I'm not unconcerned by reports of masked figures, but I don't have time to chase wild geese all over town and the countryside. I've got to deal with reports of bandits, earthquakes, kidnappings, murders, monsters in the Sumber Hills, you name it. Before tonight I only had some spooked stone cutters and a town Elder who told me there was no reason for concern and to stay out of her quarry. I can't investigate everything that happens, and this wasn't at the top of my list."

He sighs tiredly. "Now that we've got more to go on - not to mention access to the quarry - we'll investigate the figures, and deal with them if and when they show up again."

"You may be able to help if you're so inclined, but Mellikho's a stubborn woman. I doubt she'll want you anywhere near the quarry. So maybe you can check out the Cairn Road for me instead."

Morg Danforge
 player, 45 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Wed 16 Nov 2016
at 14:46
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
"Aye, Asano here also wants us to find those bandits. Do you know their method of operation?" Morg asks the constable.

...

As he heads back to the inn, he says "I'm available if you need a deputy who knows his way around quarries and tunnels - if I'm not at the Swinging Sword, you can leave me a message there."


Harburk Tuthmarillar
 NPC, 6 posts
Wed 16 Nov 2016
at 16:55
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
"I don't know much," Harburk replies to Morg, "but I've heard rumors of a bandit lair not far from town. The terrain around here's pretty hilly and rocky, and there's a few caves and the like not far from the road. Lots of places to hide." He thanks Morg for the offer of help with tunnels.

Dessarin Valley map updated