Day 1 - Mellikho Stoneworks.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 122 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 29 Oct 2016
at 16:35
Mellikho Stoneworks
The sun has set as the group leaves the Helm towards the north of town. Surprisingly, the air has cooled considerably outside. The cool breeze that blows between the buildings of Red Larch bears a touch of frost that is more appropriate to the season.

Though the previously crowded streets have thinned, there is still activity in some of the buildings and shops. The sounds of banging and hammering come from one of a collection of three sheds at the corner of a side street to the right. The space between the sheds is lit by several lamps hung on posts. Wagons are jammed into the space between the sheds, and look to be of fine quality. A sign tells passersby that the business is called "Thelorn's Safe Journeys".

Following the stone cutter's directions, the group arrives at a small house on the left near the edge of town. A sign set on two posts stuck into a scrap of weedy lawn reads "Mellikho Stoneworks". A path just past the house leads down to a quarry pit that is just visible in the twilight. A single light shines from the windows of the house.



Red Larch map updated.

Since this is the first time the full group is headed somewhere to investigate soemthing, now's as good a time as any to decide on a default marching order. Please claim a spot 1-6 in OOC in your next post to this thread. I'll note it in the Maps thread for future reference.

When in single file, position 1 is in the front & 6 in the back. When in double file, positions 1 & 2 are in the front, 5 & 6 in the back.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:20, Sun 30 Oct 2016.

Morg Danforge
 player, 36 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Mon 31 Oct 2016
at 22:56
Mellikho Stoneworks
Morg marches near the front. While he'd normally let the charming folk handle all the palaver, he's keen to hear what Mellikho has to say about her quarry.


Marching order: 1st if no stealth is needed; if stealth and trap detection is important then 2nd in single file and 3rd in double file. He'll be happy to be the scout when poison/plague is in play.

Watches preferably alongside someone with fey ancestry because of his susceptibility to charm/sleep. (Jak should probably not take watches at night with no fires, due to everyone else's darkvision.)

Mayon Graycross
 player, 52 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Mon 31 Oct 2016
at 23:00
Mellikho Stoneworks
Mayon is also close to the front, his pale eyes peering easily through the dimness. He feels a lot better with the heat having cooled, and keeps an eye out silently for any sort of movements.

Mayon will go 2nd if possible, either in single or double. If Morg takes 2nd singe file, he will move to 3rd. I think we have a whole discussion on this in OOC somewhere too :P Will also be fine with taking at least one watch.

If I need to throw in a Perception check here, just let me know.

Verthel Go'Van
 player, 33 posts
 Drow Elf
 Cleric of Auril
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 00:04
Mellikho Stoneworks
Verthel chooses to go in the back. While he's a melee fighter, he's also the one best suited for dealing with surprises coming out of the dark. Darkvision had its advantages, after all.

Verthel decided to hang back. While he was more... attractive... than many men- something he knew from his past as a servant of the drow priestesses- most people tended to react poorly to a drow trying to make conversation, especially an armed one. Best to keep quiet and let others do the talking.

Gonna take the rear, I think. No, I'm totally not a coward. Shut up.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:20, Tue 01 Nov 2016.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 33 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 01:58
Mellikho Stoneworks
Bramwell takes up rear guard with his new drow comrade, whom he nods to with a smile.  As they walk he takes in the sounds and glows of the work still being done by Red Larch's citizens even after the fall of night.  "Industrious folk, these." he remarks absently to no one in particular.  Bram adjusts his spectacles and squints to read the sign, confirming that the quarry was right where the miners said it'd be.  Without hesitation, he strides up to the door to the small house and, unless persuaded otherwise, he'll rap upon it three times.

OOC:  Position 5 for Bram, please!
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 27 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 03:39
Mellikho Stoneworks
Jak will slow the group for a moment as they start to come in sight of their destination. "Do we want stealthy people t'go take a peek an' see what's what? Or should we just march on in an' see what we can find an' suss out?" He looked around to each one of his allies to see where their thoughts lay. He was just trying to offer options.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 31 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 04:11
Mellikho Stoneworks
Asano stays toward the middle of the group, seemingly unconcerned with the rumors spoken of their destination. As the party draws closer to the Stoneworks, though, the sharper eyed among you notice he does ready some kind of crystal tipped wand in his right hand.

"It may be best to seek out the mistress of the establishment, Maester Jak," Asano says, his eyes scanning the area for any of the robed figures. "Even if her purse strings remain tight, propriety deems that we seek her blessing before intruding upon the grounds."

OOC:
Asano will take the 4th position, arcane focus ready for action.

Verthel Go'Van
 player, 34 posts
 Drow Elf
 Cleric of Auril
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 04:14
Mellikho Stoneworks
"And no offense, I would prefer not to cause more alarm than we must. People are on edge already, and I doubt my appearance will help matters much."
Asano Breathkill
 player, 32 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 05:54
Mellikho Stoneworks
"That is quite a valid concern, Icebreath Verthel," Asano says, shooting the drow a quick glance. "While this valley is world-wise, there are far too many...unfortunate stories, involving your kin."
Mayon Graycross
 player, 53 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 13:14
Mellikho Stoneworks
quote:
Bram adjusts his spectacles and squints to read the sign, confirming that the quarry was right where the miners said it'd be. Without hesitation, he strides up to the door to the small house and, unless persuaded otherwise, he'll rap upon it three times.


Mayon nods at their words, absently taking a pair of gloves from his pockets and tugging them on. They were smooth, simple dark leather with the fingers cut away, but with the faint gleam of crystal shards embedded into the palms. He didn't think he'd have to use them yet, but if something jumped out...well, it was good to be prepared.

"I think Bram has that covered for us at the moment." He remarks in slight amusement as the paladin walks forward and raps on the door.

OOC: Mayon's Arcane Focus is also prepped now.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 28 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 18:05
Mellikho Stoneworks
Jak made a rude but amused noise. "That only happens if I get caught!" He let out a chuckle but shrugged his shoulders. "But as you wish, by all means, let's go talk to the iron purse." He smiled and walked on.
Verthel Go'Van
 player, 35 posts
 Drow Elf
 Cleric of Auril
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 18:54
Mellikho Stoneworks
In reply to Asano Breathkill (msg # 9):

"I am well aware, Glyphscribe, of what my people have done. Especially the High Priestesses of Lolth. And if ever I should see my kin, it shall likely be a fight to the death." He shook his head. "Regardless, that is not our concern for now."
Albaeri Mellikho
 NPC, 1 post
 Owner
 Mellikho Stoneworks
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 20:27
Mellikho Stoneworks
After a moment the door opens abruptly, and a heavyset woman wearing simple working clothes looks out from the doorway. Past the woman a large wooden table is visible, cluttered with stacks of paper each held down with a fist-sized rock.

"Yes? Can I help you all?" she asks, looking first to Bram and then scanning the faces of the entire group.
Mayon Graycross
 player, 57 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 00:30
Mellikho Stoneworks
Mayon steps forward and dips his head politely.

"You must be Miss Mellikho, I presume? Pleasure to meet you. We were passing through town and heard your men were having trouble working at night due to figures lurking in the quarry. We were wondering if perhaps we could have your permission to investigate?"
Albaeri Mellikho
 NPC, 2 posts
 Owner
 Mellikho Stoneworks
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 01:13
Mellikho Stoneworks
Albaeri flashes a wry smile and shakes her head. "Those stone cutters are telling their tales to strangers now," she says with a burst of a laugh.

"Oh, don't worry, they're not in trouble," she chuckles as she sees the look on Mayon's face. "They're good workers, if a bit skittish. If they don't want to work nights, they don't have to, no skin off my back. Not like we're that busy this time of year anyway." She brushes some rock dust from the apron covering her rounded belly, then wipes her hands on a nearby red towel.

"The tales of freaky stone masked folks are just that: stories," she continues with an easy smile. "No need to look for ghosts in my quarry." Her eyebrows shoot up. "Hey, if you're the adventuresome sort, I know where you should go!"

She leans forward conspiratorially. "If you're looking for something to 'test your mettle', there's a legendary treasure said to be hidden in Tricklerock Cave. It's not even far from here, just south of the Larch Path as you get into the Sumber Hills. There's a ravine there, and at the bottom there's an exposed rock face with a vertical crevice. Can't miss it. Inside there's a cavern where the treasure's hid. You should check it out!"


Dessarin Valley map updated

Asano Breathkill
 player, 36 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 02:18
Mellikho Stoneworks
Asano steps forward, standing a short pace behind Mayon. "Would you mind if we took a quick look around the place, Mistress Mellikho?" he asks, brushing his hair out of his face, subtly showing his signet ring for long enough for it to be recognized for what it is. "If it is nothing, we can lay their fears and superstitions to rest, while giving you the position of benevolent employer. A position I'm sure you already occupy, but a fresh reminder can be good for morale and business, yes?"


OOC:
Persuasion- 16

Albaeri Mellikho
 NPC, 3 posts
 Owner
 Mellikho Stoneworks
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 19:20
Mellikho Stoneworks
Albaeri's face hardens briefly, then she smiles. "Alright, why not? I think there's enough light left for a tour, if we hurry."

She grabs the lantern sitting on the table and hustles out of the house, brushing past the group clustered around her doorway. With quick strides she heads for the path leading down to the quarry. "Mind your step as we get down there, you don't want to turn an ankle on a stray rock."

The path descends at a steady pace to the floor of the quarry, where various pickaxes, long-handled hammers, and carts half-loaded with rocks are strewn about. The walls of the quarry slant down towards the bottom but are not at an extremely steep angle. Several storage tunnels are cut a short way into the hills, though more than one appears to have collapsed. Piles of earth and stone are here and there at odd intervals next to wooden cranes and other large equipment presumably used for cutting stone.

"Well, here we are," Albaeri says brightly, gesturing to the quarry. "Not much here as you can tell, and certainly no treasure. Plenty of spots on the hills to crawl around on, but don't see any masked ghosts." She looks at the group expectantly. "Take a look around if you like, but don't go cutting yourself on any of the axes or breaking my equipment. I do have work to do tonight, so be on about it now."
Morg Danforge
 player, 38 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 20:05
Mellikho Stoneworks
Morg walks towards the nearest storage tunnel. "I'd like to check out the tunnels first. If nothing's in there, maybe we can make a ruckus before scrambling up to look around the hills."

Perception and investigation checks?
Bramwell Caulder
 player, 35 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 20:06
Mellikho Stoneworks
Bramwell greeted the quarry forewoman cordially and thanked her for the information she supplied, scrawling notes into his leatherbound journal all the while.  The paladin's eyebrows raised slightly when she disclosed that there was a great treasure to be found in Tricklerock Cave.  Curious, he asked, "I wonder, madame, if you might know how this great treasure came to be stowed in a cave?  Also, in what sense might the seeking of said treasure test our mettle, as you put it?"

Later, Bram followed toward the rear as the forewoman led their party to the quarry, observing tumbled stones and wondering on their mineral content and geological history.  He was startled out of his musings when Mellikho loudly announced their arrival, at which point the half-elf looked around the quarry itself.  He thanked her and assured, "We shall take care to keep safe and not to disturb any of your equipment.  You'll not even know we were here.  A pleasant evening to you."

At once the Glyphscribe set to exploring the quarry and seeking out any clues as to the presence of the purported stone-masked figures.

14:03, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 6 using 1d20.  Perception.
13:05, Today: Secret Roll: Bramwell Caulder rolled 11 using 1d20+4.  Investigation.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:04, Thu 03 Nov 2016.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 58 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 20:16
Mellikho Stoneworks
"The tunnels would certainly be a good place to hide, if anyone were doing such thing." Mayon commented softly, creeping up beside Morg and peering forward into the darkness for any signs of life.


4:14, Today: Mayon Graycross rolled 17 using 1d20+4.  Investigation.
14:13, Today: Mayon Graycross rolled 7 using 1d20+4.  Perception.
Decided to roll for both, since both could apply. If only one was necessary, I guess just use that one. Also this dice roller does not seem to like me much. :P

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 30 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 20:23
Mellikho Stoneworks
Jakrynn kept silent for the moment since the others were keen on talking. He avoided the tunnels for the moment. He didn't mind small confined spaces or anything. He just doubted that anything would be in there if they were storage used by the quarry workers. He wandered around above looking down and then slowly made his way towards the hills, looking around for anything strange and for any tracks.

14:22, Today: Secret Roll: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 20,19 using d20+4,d20+3.  Perception,Investigation.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:23, Thu 03 Nov 2016.

Albaeri Mellikho
 NPC, 3 posts
 Owner
 Mellikho Stoneworks
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 23:51
Mellikho Stoneworks
As the group spreads out to explore the quarry, Albaeri watches everyone closely. Occasionally she calls out a word of warning or a "don't touch that, you'll break your face open".

After a few minutes she absently answers Bram's question, still watching everyone as closely as she can. "Stories say it was a legendary group of adventurers, hauling a treasure they stole from a great dragon hundreds of years ago. They knew the dragon would come after them, so they stowed the treasure in Tricklerock Cave and split up, hoping one of them would survive long enough to come back and claim the treasure for themselves."

"But legend has it they were all hunted down one by one and killed. Don't know if it was the dragon who killed 'em all or one of the adventurers themselves, who was too greedy to share with his friends. So the treasure is still there to this day."


She winks at Bram. "Don't go killing yer friends if you're the one what finds it." She turns away, calling to Mayon not to touch the beam holding up the storage tunnel.

I posted a little clarification of perception vs. investigation to the rules threads. PHB is a little vague on this, but DMG is better, and there's plenty of discussion online about it =)

Long story short, searching the quarry for suspicious things would require perception checks, not investigation. Investigation would be needed if you found some strange footprints and wanted to know where they went, what they did there, etc.

So those of you who didn't do a Perception roll feel free to do so. As usual I'll reply to private lines in private lines back to you.

Bram - you don't see any evidence of stone-masked figures, only lots of footprints, tools, and rocks.

Mayon - you and Morg see the storage tunnel doesn't go very far into the hillside, and doesn't seem very sturdily held up. It's not surprising some of the other tunnels have collapsed.

Morg - if you like you can make a perception check at advantage, since you're at home in these environs.

Jak - there are plenty of tracks all over the hills and floor of the quarry, though all seem to be from booted feet indistinguishable from the others. You notice Albaeri's boots are somewhat smaller than most of the tracks though, and you can tell she spends a lot of time in the quarry. There are few areas that she hasn't frequented.

This message was last updated by the player at 23:51, Thu 03 Nov 2016.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 37 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 22:06
Mellikho Stoneworks
Asano stays near Jak, as the rest of the group seems to be investigating the tunnels and other nearby areas. He looks around, but really has no idea what he's specifically looking for. "Maybe something'll jump out at me," he mocks himself quietly.

OOC:
Perception-21

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 37 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 22:36
Mellikho Stoneworks
Bram taps his chin and hums tunelessly to himself as he wanders about the quarry.  After finding nothing he pauses to ponder for a time, then speaks his deductions aloud, "The quarry itself seems mundane enough as far as work sites go.  Any mysterious intruders would not lair within the Stoneworks itself, lest they be discovered at once by the workers.  Ergo, the stone-masked figures in all probability infiltrated from outside the quarry."  He looks up to the rim of the surrounding hill from which the quarry was delved and follows the ridgeline with his eyes, then adds, "I reckon that we must expand our search to the surrounding hills.  Perhaps less-trodden areas will hold a trail leading away.  Shall we go together?"  With that the paladin carefully hikes up the slope of the quarry walls to the hilltop and sets to searching beyond the edges of the the commonly trampled areas.

15:31, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 12 using 1d20.  Perception.
Mayon Graycross
 player, 61 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 22:44
Mellikho Stoneworks
Mayon shakes his head a bit, stepping back from the opening of the cave. "Well, I definitely wouldn't want to be in there for long. I doubt people would be hiding out in these. Looks like it might collapse like the rest any day now."

He looks up at the sound of Bram's shouting, wincing a bit at the noise, but walks away from the storage cavern to search the hillside and area a bit more thoroughly.

16:44, Today: Secret Roll: Mayon Graycross rolled 18 using 1d20+4.  Perception.

Albaeri Mellikho
 NPC, 4 posts
 Owner
 Mellikho Stoneworks
Fri 4 Nov 2016
at 00:18
Mellikho Stoneworks
Albaeri continues watching the group, occasionally calling out instructions and warnings.


Mayon and Bram find little else from what's already been discovered. Most tracks leading in or out of the quarry come from the path Albaeri led you down to start with. The few tracks that don't start at the path head to or from town without exception.

Asano too finds not much more, though he notices that Albaeri appears impatient. He counts three storage tunnels in use, two that have collapsed, and four cranes.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:19, Fri 04 Nov 2016.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 39 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Fri 4 Nov 2016
at 01:02
Mellikho Stoneworks
Bram makes his way carefully back down the stony slope, mumbling and seemingly lost in thought as he arrives back in the quarry, "Dark-robed figures... watching from in the shadows, they said... in the shadows?  Hrm."  The paladin taps his finger rapidly upon his leg and nods to himself, seeming to have an idea.  He turns to the forewoman and asks, "Madame Albaeri, might I ask you to lower the hood on your lantern just for a moment?  It's probably nothing, but I'd like to check.  Please bear with me."

Assuming that Mellikho agrees to cover the lantern's light and any other light sources are dimmed, Bramwell seeks out the deepest shadows and peers into them with his dark-attuned half-elven eyes.  After some inspection he moves near the center of the quarry, closes his eyes and focuses on the divine energies surrounding him, if any are to be found.


Using Perception to search the shadows for any presences or anything changed from when they were lit:
17:54, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 18 using 1d20.  Perception.

Then I'll use Divine Sense to detect divine stuff in a 60 foot radius (full writeup of the ability is on my sheet, DM).

Albaeri Mellikho
 NPC, 4 posts
 Owner
 Mellikho Stoneworks
Fri 4 Nov 2016
at 01:11
Mellikho Stoneworks
Albaeri rolls her eyes, then blocks part of the lantern with her hand.

Bram detects no celestial, fiend, or undead within 60'. Good thought tho!


This message was last updated by the player at 01:11, Fri 04 Nov 2016.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 63 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Fri 4 Nov 2016
at 03:15
Mellikho Stoneworks
Mayon sighs, glancing back over at the others. "I'm beginning to think we're wasting our time." He calls back softly. There didn't seem to be any unusual items, signs of life, or even tracks from an odd location. "I think we'd be better off checking out that cave and letting Miss Mellikho return to her home."
Morg Danforge
 player, 39 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Fri 4 Nov 2016
at 09:07
Mellikho Stoneworks
Morg looks for any signs of porous areas where tunneling may have been made near existing voids.



10:56, Today: Secret Roll: Morg Danforge rolled 22 using 2d20+3, keeping the highest dice only.  Perception check with advantage looking in the tunnels.
*If this fails to find anything, he'll join the rest when he hears Bram suggest they all search the rim of the quarry and the hills together.

10:59, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 16 using 1d20+3.  Perception looking for masked figures with darkvision with all the lights out.

11:01, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 10 using 1d20+3.  If we go into the hills and rim of the quarry, perception looking for masked figures.

Albaeri Mellikho
 NPC, 5 posts
 Owner
 Mellikho Stoneworks
Fri 4 Nov 2016
at 12:33
Mellikho Stoneworks
Morg inspects the existing tunnels, nodding at Mayon's observation that the tunnels are not entirely stable.

As he starts to head towards the collapsed tunnels however, Albaeri suddenly calls out "O-KAY, Master Dwarf, please stay away from the cave-ins. With the earthquake I'm very concerned these will collapse further, and I don't want Constable Harburk and his trusties to have to pull foolish adventurers out of the rubble tonight." She moves towards one of the collapsed tunnels, blocking Morg's path.

Morg doesn't see any masked figures.

Morg Danforge
 player, 40 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Fri 4 Nov 2016
at 13:41
Mellikho Stoneworks
Not sure about her motives, Morg looks at Mellikho's face and body language as she blocks the collapsed tunnel.

Can he figure out if she's hiding something worth making trouble over, or if she really just doesn't want the trouble of a crushed dwarf in her mine?
15:41, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 4 using 1d20+1.  Insight check into Mellikho not wanting anyone entering a collapsed tunnel.

Albaeri Mellikho
 NPC, 5 posts
 Owner
 Mellikho Stoneworks
Fri 4 Nov 2016
at 15:39
Mellikho Stoneworks
Albaeri meets Morg's gaze levelly.


Wow, the dice roller's really not helping you here is it? =)

Of course others can also attempt to make insight checks...

I think insight results may be generally appropriate for private responses, so 5 of you shouldn't see anything below this line.


This message was last updated by the player at 15:39, Fri 04 Nov 2016.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 41 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Fri 4 Nov 2016
at 15:15
Mellikho Stoneworks
Bram watched the interaction between Morg and the forewoman, wondering if her reluctance was really driven by a pure desire for their safety.  Probably so.  He was never great at reading people, anyway.

08:09, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 9 using 1d20.  Insight.


This message was last edited by the GM at 15:36, Fri 04 Nov 2016.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 65 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Fri 4 Nov 2016
at 15:42
Mellikho Stoneworks
Having decided that the hillside has nothing, Mayon walks back over towards Morg in time to see Mellihiko's reaction. He cocks his head curiously, studying her. Those caves certainly are unstable, but if she's that worried, couldn't she have mentioned it before we went to explore them?

09:38, Today: Mayon Graycross rolled 10 using 1d20+2.  Insight.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:51, Fri 04 Nov 2016.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 32 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Fri 4 Nov 2016
at 16:12
Mellikho Stoneworks
Jak gave a shrug to Bram at his urging, as the urchin was already kind of halfway there. "Sure, Bram." He didn't mind humoring the older half-elf, especially since Bram could come up with some amazing things at times!

But...the quarry's owner seemed to keep telling them to avoid things and Jak frowned slightly, glancing back over his shoulder at her. She seemed very keen on watching them look around, which could be totally just business. But maybe not.

OOC: Um. So. Yah. Nat 20.
10:10, Today: Secret Roll: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 24 using 1d20+4.  Insight on the evasive woman.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:29, Fri 04 Nov 2016.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 38 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Fri 4 Nov 2016
at 19:26
Mellikho Stoneworks
"Well, I don't see...." He trails off at the sight of the Morg's stand off with Mistress Mellikho. "Uh, did I miss something?"
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 33 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Fri 4 Nov 2016
at 19:33
Mellikho Stoneworks
Jak tried to look a bit bored still but also looking around. He stepped closer to Bramwell and spoke quietly. "She's hidin' somethin'. Those collapsed tunnels, it ain't danger she's worried about."
Bramwell Caulder
 player, 42 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Fri 4 Nov 2016
at 20:37
Mellikho Stoneworks
Bram leaned in a little to listen to Jak's whisper, making a brief humming noise and a small nod by way of acknowledgement.  The half-elf steps up next to Morg, bows respectfully to the forewoman and says, "Many thanks for your patience, madame Mellikho, and your care for our safety.  My concerns are now satisfied that all is well in your quarry, as you wisely assured us at the outset.  I believe we are ready to be on our way and let you return to your work."  He looked questioningly to the others to see if they had anything else they wished to do before leaving, and if not then he would bid Albaeri good evening and make their way out of the quarry.

Once the party had made their way out of the quarry, he conferred quietly with Jak and the rest of his companions.  "She seemed overly defensive of the collapsed tunnels, didn't she?  Nothing else seemed amiss in the quarry besides that.  Perhaps we ought to confer with the miners as to the former purpose of those tunnels, and what led to their collapse."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:59, Sat 05 Nov 2016.

Albaeri Mellikho
 NPC, 6 posts
 Owner
 Mellikho Stoneworks
Sat 5 Nov 2016
at 00:57
Mellikho Stoneworks
"Alright everyone, follow your friends there. Everyone out of the quarry, we're closed for the night!"

She cajoles and harries the entire group until everyone is heading back up the path out of the quarry and back to the main road. Then she goes into her house.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:49, Sun 06 Nov 2016.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 39 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sat 5 Nov 2016
at 01:45
Mellikho Stoneworks
"Though perhaps those inquiries may have to wait for the morrow," Asano says, indicating the rising moon. "Unless we wish to investigate the tunnels oursleves. Master Morg, any chance of clearing those cave-ins queitly?"
Morg Danforge
 player, 41 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Sat 5 Nov 2016
at 08:06
Mellikho Stoneworks
"Not quietly, no." Morg says. "I'd hoped to make a ruckus anyway by splitting some veins of rock to see if that'd lure out the masked figures, but Mellikho clearly won't allow that. Asking the quarrymen about the tunnels seems best."

If we're ending day 1, Morg will have some crumblecake before going to sleep.
Mayon Graycross
 player, 66 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sat 5 Nov 2016
at 15:18
Mellikho Stoneworks
"She did act differently the second we started checking out the caves." Mayon agrees with a nod. "If it really was the earthquakes that had her so concerned, you would think that she'd mention something about them sooner, not just when we started getting curious."

Mayon'll just go back to the Swinging Sword for the night if we're heading back. I believe I said earlier that he was renting a private room for another night? I can double check if needed.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:19, Sat 05 Nov 2016.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 34 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sat 5 Nov 2016
at 15:23
Mellikho Stoneworks
Jak looked a bit disappointed and surprised. "Wait..but...so we think she's hidin' somethin'...I know she wasn't tellin' us the whole truth 'bout the collapsed caves...An' we're jus' gonna leave 'em be an' go t'bed fer the night??" He looked to each of his allies. "What good is goin' back t'morrow gonna do? She'll still be there, not lettin' us go in. We could wait a few hours til she's gone an' then go take a look."

He gave a shrug. "But if you all are dead-set on not doin' that, then alright I guess."
Asano Breathkill
 player, 40 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sat 5 Nov 2016
at 16:55
Mellikho Stoneworks
"I believe that she lives on the premises, Maester Jakrynn," Asano says, looking toward the house they'd originally approached. "Maybe some of us could secrete ourselves away here, and spy if the mistress of the mines does indeed have a guilty conscience after the others leave?"
Bramwell Caulder
 player, 43 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Sat 5 Nov 2016
at 17:48
Mellikho Stoneworks
"Laboring for hours to excavate a collapsed tunnel on a hunch then being thrown in the Constable's dungeon for trespassing does not sound like a fun evening.  Jak, perhaps you and Asano and anyone else who cares to might keep a discreet watch for suspicious activity at Mellikho's abode or the quarry itself?  In the meantime, it seems most fruitful to me to further consult the miners at the Helm.  If either party discovers anything actionable we report back to one another."  Bram looked preoccupied with thought as he rolled the situation over in his mind.  At some point he absently walks off in the direction of the Helm at Highsun, too focused on his own musings and the task at hand to more nicely part from the discussion.

Heading over to the Helm at Highsun!
Verthel Go'Van
 player, 38 posts
 Drow Elf
 Cleric of Auril
Sat 5 Nov 2016
at 18:34
Mellikho Stoneworks
"I can keep watch, if necessary. My darkvision is likely a fair bit better than most others, so unless there are other creatures of the Underdark about, I will be able to see better than they."

He goes his head. "And if I am caught, I am but a mere rogue drow. The rest of you shall be spared the consequences."
Mayon Graycross
 player, 67 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sat 5 Nov 2016
at 18:50
Mellikho Stoneworks
"I'd rather that none of us face such consequences, Verthel." Mayon says softly, glancing over as Bram walks away, then back to the others.

"I would agree that it's perhaps better to ask around a bit. See if she has any sort of, less than reputable companions seen lurking about. Sneak back once we know a little more."

He pauses a moment. "I also don't think checking out that treasure cave she mentioned is a particularly good idea either, even once this is over. If she's lying about this, she could be lying about that, and I'd rather not run into any cursed gold or a trap or something of the sort."
Verthel Go'Van
 player, 39 posts
 Drow Elf
 Cleric of Auril
Sat 5 Nov 2016
at 19:09
Mellikho Stoneworks
"Indeed. It may have just been me, but she had a slight undertone of sarcasm. Like... what is the expression that sailor used? 'Go take a long walk off a short pier?'"

He shook his head. "Besides, if the treasure were actually that great and easy to access, it would be long gone by now. So it is a distraction, or a trap. Either way, our focus should stay here."
DM
 GM, 141 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 5 Nov 2016
at 20:40
Mellikho Stoneworks
Bram reaches the Helm just as Stiofan is leaving. As he's looking down, the stonecutter doesn't recognize Bram until he walks up and addresses him.



Yes, Mayon had a private room. Also, I've summarized the 'bill' for Day 1, so once we close out the thread I'll ask you all to update your inventories.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:41, Sat 05 Nov 2016.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 45 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Sat 5 Nov 2016
at 20:43
Mellikho Stoneworks
The tall, bespectacled half-elf returns to the Helm at Highsun looking quite preoccupied.  Finding the stonecutter outside the tavern, he approaches.

"Greetings, Stiofan.  My companions spoke to you earlier about the strange sightings you've had at Mellikho's quarry.  We've just made a brief investigation and found very little, but had questions about the collapsed tunnels.  If I might ask, when and how did those tunnels collapse?  What were the tunnels used for prior to their collapse, and has there been any strange activity at them before or since?"

DM
 GM, 142 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 5 Nov 2016
at 20:48
Mellikho Stoneworks
Stiofan answers slowly, glancing about as others exit the tavern. "They haven't collapsed recently," he begins, thinking. "They're just used to store equipment and things to keep them dry from rain. They usually collapse as we dig deeper into the hillsides, but we plan for that and move everything out first. We try to avoid losing stuff in rockfalls."

He looks at Bram finally. "I can't remember any strange activity near any of them. The masked figures are usually on the hills, in the shadows."

Verthel Go'Van
 player, 40 posts
 Drow Elf
 Cleric of Auril
Sat 5 Nov 2016
at 22:17
Mellikho Stoneworks
"Hmm... interesting." Verthel says, simply, watching the man for any sign of falsehood. There was something unnerving about a Drow turning his attention on you, even if the Drow in question was a priest. Or perhaps, especially because he was a priest. That might have muddied things a bit.

OOC: 18:16, Today: Verthel Go'Van rolled 6 using 1d20+4 ((2)). Insight.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:51, Sat 05 Nov 2016.

Morg Danforge
 player, 42 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Mon 7 Nov 2016
at 00:52
Mellikho Stoneworks
Morg clomps south, joining the others talking with Stiofan.

Hungry and tired from the day's travel, he then heads across the road to the Swinging sword.

"Tastes a bit explody." he says, washing down a crumblecake with an ale.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 70 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Mon 7 Nov 2016
at 01:16
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
DM:
Stiofan answers slowly, glancing about as others exit the tavern. "They haven't collapsed recently," he begins, thinking. "They're just used to store equipment and things to keep them dry from rain. They usually collapse as we dig deeper into the hillsides, but we plan for that and move everything out first. We try to avoid losing stuff in rockfalls."

He looks at Bram finally. "I can't remember any strange activity near any of them. The masked figures are usually on the hills, in the shadows."


"In the shadows..." Mayon murmurs, having been listening quietly after his brief conversation with Verthel. He thinks for a moment.

"Excuse me, sir, have you ever heard the story of, what was it, Tricklerock Cave? I heard it mentioned earlier and I'm curious if it's a common tale or a recent rumor." May as well see just how many lies we've been told tonight.
DM
 GM, 146 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 7 Nov 2016
at 13:21
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Mayon Graycross:
"Excuse me, sir, have you ever heard the story of, what was it, Tricklerock Cave? I heard it mentioned earlier and I'm curious if it's a common tale or a recent rumor." May as well see just how many lies we've been told tonight.

Stiofan raises his eyebrows. "Mellikho tell you about that, did she? Sure, all the locals know about Tricklerock Cave. I've heard of some who've gone there searching for treasure, but I've never been to it."
Asano Breathkill
 player, 42 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Mon 7 Nov 2016
at 14:05
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Asano watches the others wander back to the inn, blowing out a small sigh. "Well," he says, turning to Jak, "shall we find a decent vantage point? Perhaps we've worried the mistress of the mines enough to motivate her to cover some tracks."


OOC:
If Jak agrees, I guess we're on a stakeout!
Stealth- 5
Perception- 12
Well, it's official, this is going to a short-lived buddy-cop movie if the Dice Roller has anything to say about it.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 36 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 7 Nov 2016
at 17:15
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Jak gave a nod. "Yah. I don't trust that woman, and the quarry workers seem t'think there's somethin' out there, so I wanna find out what. They may not show up t'night since we were pokin' around out there but..." He gave a shrug. "We'll see!"

He headed away from the path to take a more circuitous route to the quarry so they wouldn't immediately be visible to the owner.

10:15, Today: Secret Roll: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 19,15 using d20+4,d20+4.  Stealth and Perception checks.
Mayon Graycross
 player, 71 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Mon 7 Nov 2016
at 17:22
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
DM:
Stiofan raises his eyebrows. "Mellikho tell you about that, did she? Sure, all the locals know about Tricklerock Cave. I've heard of some who've gone there searching for treasure, but I've never been to it."


Mayon nods quietly. "Alright, I was just a bit curious. Thank you." He steps back politely. Alright, so the cave did exist. Didn't mean the treasure itself was legit.
DM
 GM, 148 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 7 Nov 2016
at 20:22
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Asano and Jak make their way north on the road through town, duck between two houses, and make their way to the edge of the quarry from the north. The twilight has deepened into night, and the moon combines with the light from the distant houses to provide scant illumination to their surroundings. Asano travels quickly despite kicking several unseen rocks, yet Jak struggles to see much as they move further away from town.

Any plans for illumination, like a lantern or anything?

Asano's darkvision grants him 60' vision in the darkness but he takes perception checks at disadvantage. Jak is effectively blinded without a light source.

Are you staying at the lip of the quarry, or are you descending into it?

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 37 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 7 Nov 2016
at 20:39
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Jak will be using his hooded lantern and trying his best to keep the light only shining where he needs instead of pinpointing them for anyone to see. He will be finding a place he can see in to the quarry from but also the surrounding hills where the potential bad guys were said to be if possible.
Bramwell Caulder
 player, 46 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Mon 7 Nov 2016
at 22:44
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
DM:
Stiofan answers slowly, glancing about as others exit the tavern. "They haven't collapsed recently," he begins, thinking. "They're just used to store equipment and things to keep them dry from rain. They usually collapse as we dig deeper into the hillsides, but we plan for that and move everything out first. We try to avoid losing stuff in rockfalls."

He looks at Bram finally. "I can't remember any strange activity near any of them. The masked figures are usually on the hills, in the shadows."

Bram nodded and scrawled a quick note in his journal, which he then closed and stowed.  "Our thanks for the information, Stiofan.  Good evening to you."

Turning to Mayon and Verthel, Bram shrugged and said in a low voice, "Although it's been an intriguing evening's investigation, I'd hoped for more interesting results.  It seems these masked figures may well have been imagined after all.  I think I shall join Morg at the Swinging Sword to await any reports from our comrades, unless you gentlemen have any other ideas?"
Mayon Graycross
 player, 72 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Mon 7 Nov 2016
at 23:46
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Bramwell Caulder:
"Although it's been an intriguing evening's investigation, I'd hoped for more interesting results.  It seems these masked figures may well have been imagined after all.  I think I shall join Morg at the Swinging Sword to await any reports from our comrades, unless you gentlemen have any other ideas?"


"Mostly I don't trust that woman. She was acting so strangely, and the miners themselves seem sincerely spooked by this." Mayon says softly. Perhaps there's some sort of cult or organization that behaves like this?


Okay, kind of going a weird place here, but I felt it was worth a shot:
16:41, Today: Secret Roll: Mayon Graycross rolled 22 using 1d20+2.  Religion check. (WHOO NAT 20)
Basically to see if there's any sort of cults or religious sects for dark gods/demons that could match up to the descriptions we've been given, that Mayon would have knowledge of
Alternatively,
16:42, Today: Secret Roll: Mayon Graycross rolled 20 using 1d20+4.  Arcana check.
Similar reasons, but for any sort of necromancy/dark magic/other masked shadowy non-religious groups/entities he could imagine would involve people behaving in this nature.
Basically he's looking for anything he could use as a reference for these people telling the truth.
Gotta try all our options :P

DM
 GM, 149 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 01:29
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
After perhaps an hour or so, Jak and Asano hear footfalls making their way down into the quarry from the opposite side. While their lanterns are hooded, flashes of light are still occasionally visible. The figures seem to be traveling together, yet they don't appear to be trying to conceal their approach. Small rockfalls and curses in Common announce their arrival as they make their way to the bottom of the quarry.

From a distance, Asano can see one of the figures at least is humanoid in shape, but is wearing some sort of horned mask that looks to be made of stone. Strange horns twirl upward from its sides.

None of the figures seem to notice Asano or Jak. After a time, the movement ceases and the quarry goes quiet again, as the figures stop moving. No more light is visible. Jak and Asano estimate they've seen and heard at least five figures in the darkness.

I guess the dice roller doesn't discriminate - I had some pretty horrible rolls! =D

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:29, Tue 08 Nov 2016.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 43 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 01:52
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
"Hmm, I don't think we thought this through, Jak," Asano whispers. "How do we alert the others? Do you have any ability to send a message over a distance?" His voice is pitched in a lower register, as he tries to stay as quiet as possible.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 38 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 06:04
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Jak glanced at Asano with a strange look, perhaps a look of incredulity or overconfidence or both, but it was gone quickly. He grinned widely and spoke in a quiet voice. "Heh. You worry too much." But he didn't appear to be moving forward to go after the masked men. "If you want, you can go back an' gather our friends while I keep watch. Or I can run back while you keep watch. But I'd sure like t'find out who these guys are an' what they're doin'. Yeah?"

OOC: Can we tell where they went in the quarry? Did they go to the collapsed tunnels or somewhere else?
Asano Breathkill
 player, 44 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 06:31
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
"I doubt dividing our strength further would be wise," Asano sighs, watching in the last known direction of the masked figures. "Lead the way, oh sneaky one. Perhaps our luck will hold."

OOC:
Stealth- 9
Perception- 16
Well, that was mildly better. Sigh...

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:01, Tue 08 Nov 2016.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 39 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 18:48
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Jak thought it over for only a moment and fed a bit of food from earlier dinner to the little mouse that crawled out of his shirt.

But then laid a restraining hand on Asano. "No, no, you're right." He shook his head. "You stay here an' keep watch in case they leave. I'll go see about gatherin' up the others I can find as quick as I can."

He took off as quickly but quietly as he could towards the inn.
DM
 GM, 150 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 19:01
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
The quarry remains still as the minutes pass. Asano thinks he hears a cough echoing up from below, but otherwise he sees and hears nothing.

The figures were in the quarry itself, not on the sloping banks, when you lost sight of their lights. You don't think they went into the tunnels, but it's hard to tell now that their lanterns have gone dark.

Jak, you'll need another stealth check, at disadvantage this time since you're trying to move quickly in the dark.



This message was last edited by the GM at 19:10, Tue 08 Nov 2016.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 40 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 9 Nov 2016
at 20:53
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Jak stepped along as quietly as he could while still moving fast. However, he cast a quick spell first, one to make some more natural-sounding noises to cover his hasty stealth. Some wind rustling through the area, low-level and not unnoticeable. Twitch squeaked at him and Jak looked surprised as he hurried off.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:57, Wed 09 Nov 2016.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 73 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Wed 9 Nov 2016
at 21:01
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Mayon had been quiet briefly, lost in thought. Cloaked figures and stone masks. Stone...a chill runs down his spine.

"I...this is just a hunch, but...what if these people are connected to those portals? Guarding them or, I don't know, worshipping them. Or something else connected to them." He looks between Bram and Verthel, eyes wide and a bit anxious. "If that's the case, then the sooner we can do something, the better for everyone involved."
DM
 GM, 151 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 9 Nov 2016
at 21:38
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
"I heard something, up there on the north side," a muffled voice says from the bottom of the quarry. "Go check it out."

Five pinpoint lights spring up around the quarry. The pinpricks of light dance as shadowy figures hurry toward the embankments in the direction of where Asano and Jak hid.


Asano thinks there's enough time for him to hurry after Jak before the figures reach the top of the quarry.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:42, Thu 10 Nov 2016.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 46 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 10 Nov 2016
at 03:04
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Asano stifles a curse as the lights bobbed toward his hiding place. Thinking quickly, he grabs a small stone and tosses it in the opposite direction of Jak's egress. He readies his crystal rod, just in case.

OOC:
Tossing the rock approximately 40 feet along the ridge, trying to get it to skitter a bit. If they get too close, I'm casting Sleep.

DM
 GM, 152 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 10 Nov 2016
at 21:35
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
The bobbing lights approach alarmingly fast as the figures bound up the relatively moderate slopes of the quarry. The five figures spread out at the sound of the thrown rock, with some headed towards that spot and others toward the general area of Asano and Jak's hiding place, even in the direction of the road.

As they come closer Asano can tell they are well armed, with curved scimitars and crossbows at their waists. The hooded lantern light reflects luridly off their bizarre stone masks. Their leather armor bears some sort of strange emblem.

The figures are starting to fan out. Asano still thinks he can make a dash for the road before they reach the top of the quarry. You're starting to think it may be wise to do so...

Asano also thinks they are probably all more than 20' away from each other, meaning you won't be able to catch more than one of them in a Sleep spell.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 47 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 10 Nov 2016
at 21:57
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Asano grinds his teeth in frustration as the group fans out. He takes a long look at the symbol on their armor, committing it to memory before making a mad dash for the road.

OOC:
Running as fast as my half-elven legs will carry me.

DM
 GM, 154 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 11 Nov 2016
at 17:11
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
The shouts of a coordinated search recede behind Asano as he and Jak reach the relatively well-lit main road of Red Larch. As Jak and Asano look back, there appears to be no pursuit.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:20, Fri 11 Nov 2016.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 48 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Fri 11 Nov 2016
at 17:49
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
"Well, that was refreshing...and enlightening," Asano grins, looking back along the road. "Shall we return to the others? Maybe one of them can track those masked men."
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 42 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sat 12 Nov 2016
at 19:40
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Jak gave a wide grin but mixed with an apologetic look at Asano. "Sorry! I wasn't as quiet as I thought, 'specially not movin' fast."

He burst in to the inn and looked around for his friends. "Guys! Come on, quick! We seen 'em! If we're quick we might catch 'em!"
Morg Danforge
 player, 43 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Sat 12 Nov 2016
at 22:45
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Morg gulps down the last of his ale and wipes the crumbs off his beard. "Aye!" he says as he grabs his shield, and hurries to Jak while taking out his warhammer.


Mayon Graycross
 player, 75 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sat 12 Nov 2016
at 22:53
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Mayon is a bit startled by the sudden entrance, but he nods and follows quickly, his quarterstaff gripped firmly in one hand, though his preference for combat lay in the crystals embedded in the palm of his gloves.
Bramwell Caulder
 player, 49 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Mon 14 Nov 2016
at 21:18
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Bram's eyelids drooped and he was considering making his way to the Swinging Sword's dormitory room when Jak's sudden appearance startled him back to wakefulness.  He blinked rapidly and adjusted his spectacles, and it took a good several moments to gather his wits.  When he finally got what the fuss was about he was on his feet in an instant and gathering up his things, "Well done, Jak.  Tell us the rest on the way."  The half-elf wondered idly how this scene might look to any townsfolk who might happen to be watching, but there was no time to think overmuch on that now!
Harburk Tuthmarillar
 NPC, 1 post
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 02:36
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
The group exits the Swinging Sword into the cold night air. There are few passersby on the Long Road, yet a group of four immediately walks toward them from across the street.

One bears a familiar face in the dim lamplight from the inn: Albaeri Mellikho, bundled in a heavy fur coat. Her mien a thunderhead, she strides just behind a large man recognizable as a patron of the tavern. Two of his companions walk behind them, bearing simple spears.

"That's them," she mutters to the large man as they approach. He nods.

"'Scuse me strangers," the deep throated man begins, positioning himself directly in the group's path. "I'm Constable Harburk, by way of introduction. Albaeri here has informed me there's been some activity at the quarry tonight, couple intruders poking about. Probably nothing," he says, ignoring Mellikho's sidelong glare, "but we do have to keep the peace in this town."

"She said the six of you asked to be shown around the quarry before sundown, and it had something to do with stories from the stonecutters. Not sure what that's all about," he trails off, looking at the faces in the group.

After a second's pause he clears his throat, and glances meaningfully at Mellikho. "Albaeri here is headed back to her house to sleep, as she's got a full day tomorrow. Even though my trusties have some hogs to slaughter in the morning, I've sent a couple of them to watch over the quarry for the night." He looks back at the group with an unreadable expression. "Jalessa's going to be put out that half her first shift was up all night, and my other trusties need their rest. Nobody's making any accusations here, but there will be no more trouble in this town tonight."

"So," he continues idly, "where are you all headed at this hour?"
Asano Breathkill
 player, 49 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 05:09
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
"Honestly, Constable, we were just discussing that ourselves," Asano says smoothly. "We've heard a number of rumors of troubles near to town, and simply wanted to look into them, allowing you and your men the time necessary to keep the peace within the town itself." He looks apologetically at Albaeri, continuing, "Mistress Mellikho, we sincerely apologize for interrupting your evening. I'm just wondering what it was that may have happened since we left that led you to calling upon the constable here? Surely our visit wasn't that unsettling."

OOC:
Persuasion- 19

Harburk Tuthmarillar
 NPC, 2 posts
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 21:17
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Mellikho harrumphs and scowls at Asano, but holds her tongue.

"Albaeri is - particular - about her quarry," Harburk says with a wry smile. "I've got my trusties down there for the night, and they should keep things as she likes them - regardless of mysterious watchers, trespassers, owlbears..." He trails off as Mellikho scoffs.

"If you're lookin to help Red Larch, best not antagonize one of its own Elders,"
he continues. "Instead, if you want to be useful, there's reports of banditry off the Cairn Road, south of town. I don't have time to be wandering around the countryside looking for pickpockets, but adventuresome folk can be handy with those types. If you like I can give you some likely locations for bandit hideouts - but, in the morning. It's time for decent folk to rest."

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 21:17, Tue 15 Nov 2016.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 44 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 21:50
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Jak's face scrunched up as if he'd bitten into something surprisingly sour. "Ya mean those men in the masks at the quarry work fer YOU then? They be your deputies or watchmen or whatever? 'Cause they weren't rumors. We seen 'em there at the quarry. Or perhaps they work for Mistress Mellikho an' that's why she don't want anyone snoopin' around."

He gave a shrug. "Regardless, if the owner o'the quarry AN' the law both want us to let the horned mask person alone, we shall I guess. Let the quarry workers be scared I guess."
Albaeri Mellikho
 NPC, 7 posts
 Owner
 Mellikho Stoneworks
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 23:22
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Mellikho's face scrunches up into a fury. "What men in masks? There weren't nobody down there but you vandals!"

"I hurried out of my house and down to the quarry after I heard a whole lot a yelling and rocks falling. There weren't nothing there but some fleeing hoodlums - and you just admitted you were them!"


She splutters on, her shouting echoing off the nearby buildings. "Tellin' ghost stories about masked figures - you're just chasing some made up, stupid treasure down there, no good 'venturers! Harburk's men'll throttle you good if you try anythin'! I've a mind to do the same myself!" She rolls up her sleeves and takes a deliberate step in the group's direction before Harburk's men restrain her.
Harburk Tuthmarillar
 NPC, 3 posts
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 23:22
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Harburk murmurs some soothing words to the quarrymaster until she at least stops shouting. At Harburk's direction, his trusties lead her off back towards her house. Then he turns a stern gaze to Jak. "I'll thank you to stay off private property throughout your stay in Red Larch. Or no amount of bandit catching is likely to save you from spending a night hanging by a hook in the smokehouse, answering difficult questions. From me."

He sighs, shaking his head. "Look, I think your hearts are in the right place, but you can't antagonize Albaeri. She's a prickly one. I've heard the tales of watchers from those stonecutters, but there's little evidence they exist and none that they did anything but watch, and she swears up and down there's nobody there at night."

"I guess you folks saw something,"
he says, looking questioningly at Jak, but quickly goes on, "but if you did, that means you were there and I'd have to haul you in for trespassing. So I don't know anything about that. You hear? It would be your word against Albaeri's, and that won't end well for you all. I'm already doing all I can, putting my men down in the quarry tonight."

"Why don't you lay low for a while. Check out the Cairn Road, show people in town you can be trusted. Myself included. Then maybe we can talk about strange masked figures."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:23, Tue 15 Nov 2016.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 76 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 23:41
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
"Understood, sir." Mayon says softly, dipping his head and feeling a bit foolish. Well, it only made sense that she would go to the guards about this sort of thing. This shouldn't have come as a surprise.


16:40, Today: Mayon Graycross rolled 6 using 1d20+2.  Insight check. Trying to see if he might be lying about sending men down to look, though I'm gonna say I don't see jack :P
Morg Danforge
 player, 44 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Wed 16 Nov 2016
at 00:50
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Morg, trusting Jak that there were masked watchers, scrunches his eyes at Harburk, wondering if he's in cahoots with Mellikho.

"What are 'trusties'?" he says to the constable.

02:46, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 4 using 1d20+1.  Insight check on Harburk.

Harburk Tuthmarillar
 NPC, 4 posts
Wed 16 Nov 2016
at 01:31
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
"Deputies, if you like," Harburk smiles. "The trusties are my assistant constables, but they're really just assistants to my wife Jalessa, the butcher. When they're not keeping an eye out for trespassers they cut and preserve meat."
Bramwell Caulder
 player, 50 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Wed 16 Nov 2016
at 03:36
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Bram arrived late to the discussion, just in time to see Mellikho rage at Jak.  He stepped up behind his comrade, listening closely with a calm but concerned expression.  As the deputies led the quarrymaster off, the paladin bowed respectfully and introduced himself to the constable.  "I am glad to hear that your men have the situation in hand, good Constable.  While our motives were and are benevolent, we respect yours and Madame Mellikho's position on this matter and apologize for causing any disturbance."

He paused for a brief spell, seeming to ponder something.  Then he took a deep breath and said calmly, "On the other hand, I note a curious disparity in this... controversy.  It is your lawful duty to investigate trespassing on private property, and you were correct to investigate us on the matter.  Yet you and the quarrymaster seem unconcerned with masked trespassers now reported by several witnesses, including my friend Jakrynn whose word I will vouch for.  Indeed, you've excused their trespassing on the grounds that they seemed content only to watch.  I will grant that acting openly with noble intent has made us the easier party to locate, but I hope that you will show the same diligence in pursuing those who would suspiciously disguise their identities and intentions, Constable."  There was no accusation in his words, but simply an assessment of the facts and priorities of the situation as he saw them, and he assumed that the Constable would see it that way as well.  Then again his 'assessments' had often been taken poorly, much to his bewilderment.


Insight check on the constable:
  • 18:25, Today: Secret Roll: Bramwell Caulder rolled 19 using 1d20.  Insight.

Harburk Tuthmarillar
 NPC, 5 posts
Wed 16 Nov 2016
at 12:51
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
Harburk considers Bram's words, then shakes his head. "I'm not unconcerned by reports of masked figures, but I don't have time to chase wild geese all over town and the countryside. I've got to deal with reports of bandits, earthquakes, kidnappings, murders, monsters in the Sumber Hills, you name it. Before tonight I only had some spooked stone cutters and a town Elder who told me there was no reason for concern and to stay out of her quarry. I can't investigate everything that happens, and this wasn't at the top of my list."

He sighs tiredly. "Now that we've got more to go on - not to mention access to the quarry - we'll investigate the figures, and deal with them if and when they show up again."

"You may be able to help if you're so inclined, but Mellikho's a stubborn woman. I doubt she'll want you anywhere near the quarry. So maybe you can check out the Cairn Road for me instead."

Morg Danforge
 player, 45 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Wed 16 Nov 2016
at 14:46
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
"Aye, Asano here also wants us to find those bandits. Do you know their method of operation?" Morg asks the constable.

...

As he heads back to the inn, he says "I'm available if you need a deputy who knows his way around quarries and tunnels - if I'm not at the Swinging Sword, you can leave me a message there."


Harburk Tuthmarillar
 NPC, 6 posts
Wed 16 Nov 2016
at 16:55
Re: Mellikho Stoneworks
"I don't know much," Harburk replies to Morg, "but I've heard rumors of a bandit lair not far from town. The terrain around here's pretty hilly and rocky, and there's a few caves and the like not far from the road. Lots of places to hide." He thanks Morg for the offer of help with tunnels.

Dessarin Valley map updated