Day 1 - Mellikho Stoneworks.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 122 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 29 Oct 2016
at 16:35
Mellikho Stoneworks
The sun has set as the group leaves the Helm towards the north of town. Surprisingly, the air has cooled considerably outside. The cool breeze that blows between the buildings of Red Larch bears a touch of frost that is more appropriate to the season.

Though the previously crowded streets have thinned, there is still activity in some of the buildings and shops. The sounds of banging and hammering come from one of a collection of three sheds at the corner of a side street to the right. The space between the sheds is lit by several lamps hung on posts. Wagons are jammed into the space between the sheds, and look to be of fine quality. A sign tells passersby that the business is called "Thelorn's Safe Journeys".

Following the stone cutter's directions, the group arrives at a small house on the left near the edge of town. A sign set on two posts stuck into a scrap of weedy lawn reads "Mellikho Stoneworks". A path just past the house leads down to a quarry pit that is just visible in the twilight. A single light shines from the windows of the house.



Red Larch map updated.

Since this is the first time the full group is headed somewhere to investigate soemthing, now's as good a time as any to decide on a default marching order. Please claim a spot 1-6 in OOC in your next post to this thread. I'll note it in the Maps thread for future reference.

When in single file, position 1 is in the front & 6 in the back. When in double file, positions 1 & 2 are in the front, 5 & 6 in the back.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:20, Sun 30 Oct 2016.

Morg Danforge
 player, 36 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Mon 31 Oct 2016
at 22:56
Mellikho Stoneworks
Morg marches near the front. While he'd normally let the charming folk handle all the palaver, he's keen to hear what Mellikho has to say about her quarry.


Marching order: 1st if no stealth is needed; if stealth and trap detection is important then 2nd in single file and 3rd in double file. He'll be happy to be the scout when poison/plague is in play.

Watches preferably alongside someone with fey ancestry because of his susceptibility to charm/sleep. (Jak should probably not take watches at night with no fires, due to everyone else's darkvision.)

Mayon Graycross
 player, 52 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Mon 31 Oct 2016
at 23:00
Mellikho Stoneworks
Mayon is also close to the front, his pale eyes peering easily through the dimness. He feels a lot better with the heat having cooled, and keeps an eye out silently for any sort of movements.

Mayon will go 2nd if possible, either in single or double. If Morg takes 2nd singe file, he will move to 3rd. I think we have a whole discussion on this in OOC somewhere too :P Will also be fine with taking at least one watch.

If I need to throw in a Perception check here, just let me know.

Verthel Go'Van
 player, 33 posts
 Drow Elf
 Cleric of Auril
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 00:04
Mellikho Stoneworks
Verthel chooses to go in the back. While he's a melee fighter, he's also the one best suited for dealing with surprises coming out of the dark. Darkvision had its advantages, after all.

Verthel decided to hang back. While he was more... attractive... than many men- something he knew from his past as a servant of the drow priestesses- most people tended to react poorly to a drow trying to make conversation, especially an armed one. Best to keep quiet and let others do the talking.

Gonna take the rear, I think. No, I'm totally not a coward. Shut up.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:20, Tue 01 Nov 2016.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 33 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 01:58
Mellikho Stoneworks
Bramwell takes up rear guard with his new drow comrade, whom he nods to with a smile.  As they walk he takes in the sounds and glows of the work still being done by Red Larch's citizens even after the fall of night.  "Industrious folk, these." he remarks absently to no one in particular.  Bram adjusts his spectacles and squints to read the sign, confirming that the quarry was right where the miners said it'd be.  Without hesitation, he strides up to the door to the small house and, unless persuaded otherwise, he'll rap upon it three times.

OOC:  Position 5 for Bram, please!
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 27 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 03:39
Mellikho Stoneworks
Jak will slow the group for a moment as they start to come in sight of their destination. "Do we want stealthy people t'go take a peek an' see what's what? Or should we just march on in an' see what we can find an' suss out?" He looked around to each one of his allies to see where their thoughts lay. He was just trying to offer options.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 31 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 04:11
Mellikho Stoneworks
Asano stays toward the middle of the group, seemingly unconcerned with the rumors spoken of their destination. As the party draws closer to the Stoneworks, though, the sharper eyed among you notice he does ready some kind of crystal tipped wand in his right hand.

"It may be best to seek out the mistress of the establishment, Maester Jak," Asano says, his eyes scanning the area for any of the robed figures. "Even if her purse strings remain tight, propriety deems that we seek her blessing before intruding upon the grounds."

OOC:
Asano will take the 4th position, arcane focus ready for action.

Verthel Go'Van
 player, 34 posts
 Drow Elf
 Cleric of Auril
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 04:14
Mellikho Stoneworks
"And no offense, I would prefer not to cause more alarm than we must. People are on edge already, and I doubt my appearance will help matters much."
Asano Breathkill
 player, 32 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 05:54
Mellikho Stoneworks
"That is quite a valid concern, Icebreath Verthel," Asano says, shooting the drow a quick glance. "While this valley is world-wise, there are far too many...unfortunate stories, involving your kin."
Mayon Graycross
 player, 53 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 13:14
Mellikho Stoneworks
quote:
Bram adjusts his spectacles and squints to read the sign, confirming that the quarry was right where the miners said it'd be. Without hesitation, he strides up to the door to the small house and, unless persuaded otherwise, he'll rap upon it three times.


Mayon nods at their words, absently taking a pair of gloves from his pockets and tugging them on. They were smooth, simple dark leather with the fingers cut away, but with the faint gleam of crystal shards embedded into the palms. He didn't think he'd have to use them yet, but if something jumped out...well, it was good to be prepared.

"I think Bram has that covered for us at the moment." He remarks in slight amusement as the paladin walks forward and raps on the door.

OOC: Mayon's Arcane Focus is also prepped now.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 28 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 18:05
Mellikho Stoneworks
Jak made a rude but amused noise. "That only happens if I get caught!" He let out a chuckle but shrugged his shoulders. "But as you wish, by all means, let's go talk to the iron purse." He smiled and walked on.
Verthel Go'Van
 player, 35 posts
 Drow Elf
 Cleric of Auril
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 18:54
Mellikho Stoneworks
In reply to Asano Breathkill (msg # 9):

"I am well aware, Glyphscribe, of what my people have done. Especially the High Priestesses of Lolth. And if ever I should see my kin, it shall likely be a fight to the death." He shook his head. "Regardless, that is not our concern for now."
Albaeri Mellikho
 NPC, 1 post
 Owner
 Mellikho Stoneworks
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 20:27
Mellikho Stoneworks
After a moment the door opens abruptly, and a heavyset woman wearing simple working clothes looks out from the doorway. Past the woman a large wooden table is visible, cluttered with stacks of paper each held down with a fist-sized rock.

"Yes? Can I help you all?" she asks, looking first to Bram and then scanning the faces of the entire group.
Mayon Graycross
 player, 57 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 00:30
Mellikho Stoneworks
Mayon steps forward and dips his head politely.

"You must be Miss Mellikho, I presume? Pleasure to meet you. We were passing through town and heard your men were having trouble working at night due to figures lurking in the quarry. We were wondering if perhaps we could have your permission to investigate?"
Albaeri Mellikho
 NPC, 2 posts
 Owner
 Mellikho Stoneworks
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 01:13
Mellikho Stoneworks
Albaeri flashes a wry smile and shakes her head. "Those stone cutters are telling their tales to strangers now," she says with a burst of a laugh.

"Oh, don't worry, they're not in trouble," she chuckles as she sees the look on Mayon's face. "They're good workers, if a bit skittish. If they don't want to work nights, they don't have to, no skin off my back. Not like we're that busy this time of year anyway." She brushes some rock dust from the apron covering her rounded belly, then wipes her hands on a nearby red towel.

"The tales of freaky stone masked folks are just that: stories," she continues with an easy smile. "No need to look for ghosts in my quarry." Her eyebrows shoot up. "Hey, if you're the adventuresome sort, I know where you should go!"

She leans forward conspiratorially. "If you're looking for something to 'test your mettle', there's a legendary treasure said to be hidden in Tricklerock Cave. It's not even far from here, just south of the Larch Path as you get into the Sumber Hills. There's a ravine there, and at the bottom there's an exposed rock face with a vertical crevice. Can't miss it. Inside there's a cavern where the treasure's hid. You should check it out!"


Dessarin Valley map updated

Asano Breathkill
 player, 36 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 02:18
Mellikho Stoneworks
Asano steps forward, standing a short pace behind Mayon. "Would you mind if we took a quick look around the place, Mistress Mellikho?" he asks, brushing his hair out of his face, subtly showing his signet ring for long enough for it to be recognized for what it is. "If it is nothing, we can lay their fears and superstitions to rest, while giving you the position of benevolent employer. A position I'm sure you already occupy, but a fresh reminder can be good for morale and business, yes?"


OOC:
Persuasion- 16

Albaeri Mellikho
 NPC, 3 posts
 Owner
 Mellikho Stoneworks
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 19:20
Mellikho Stoneworks
Albaeri's face hardens briefly, then she smiles. "Alright, why not? I think there's enough light left for a tour, if we hurry."

She grabs the lantern sitting on the table and hustles out of the house, brushing past the group clustered around her doorway. With quick strides she heads for the path leading down to the quarry. "Mind your step as we get down there, you don't want to turn an ankle on a stray rock."

The path descends at a steady pace to the floor of the quarry, where various pickaxes, long-handled hammers, and carts half-loaded with rocks are strewn about. The walls of the quarry slant down towards the bottom but are not at an extremely steep angle. Several storage tunnels are cut a short way into the hills, though more than one appears to have collapsed. Piles of earth and stone are here and there at odd intervals next to wooden cranes and other large equipment presumably used for cutting stone.

"Well, here we are," Albaeri says brightly, gesturing to the quarry. "Not much here as you can tell, and certainly no treasure. Plenty of spots on the hills to crawl around on, but don't see any masked ghosts." She looks at the group expectantly. "Take a look around if you like, but don't go cutting yourself on any of the axes or breaking my equipment. I do have work to do tonight, so be on about it now."
Morg Danforge
 player, 38 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 20:05
Mellikho Stoneworks
Morg walks towards the nearest storage tunnel. "I'd like to check out the tunnels first. If nothing's in there, maybe we can make a ruckus before scrambling up to look around the hills."

Perception and investigation checks?
Bramwell Caulder
 player, 35 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 20:06
Mellikho Stoneworks
Bramwell greeted the quarry forewoman cordially and thanked her for the information she supplied, scrawling notes into his leatherbound journal all the while.  The paladin's eyebrows raised slightly when she disclosed that there was a great treasure to be found in Tricklerock Cave.  Curious, he asked, "I wonder, madame, if you might know how this great treasure came to be stowed in a cave?  Also, in what sense might the seeking of said treasure test our mettle, as you put it?"

Later, Bram followed toward the rear as the forewoman led their party to the quarry, observing tumbled stones and wondering on their mineral content and geological history.  He was startled out of his musings when Mellikho loudly announced their arrival, at which point the half-elf looked around the quarry itself.  He thanked her and assured, "We shall take care to keep safe and not to disturb any of your equipment.  You'll not even know we were here.  A pleasant evening to you."

At once the Glyphscribe set to exploring the quarry and seeking out any clues as to the presence of the purported stone-masked figures.

14:03, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 6 using 1d20.  Perception.
13:05, Today: Secret Roll: Bramwell Caulder rolled 11 using 1d20+4.  Investigation.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:04, Thu 03 Nov 2016.