Day 2 - Bandits & Crypt.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 264 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 6 Jan 2017
at 20:57
Re: Day 2
Asano sees nothing different from Morg.
Mayon Graycross
 player, 137 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Fri 6 Jan 2017
at 22:11
Re: Day 2
"I'd say so." Mayon says, retrieving his coin pouch from the pile they'd dropped on the ground. "If there was more than the two of them, they probably would've joined the fight. Or took off running when we fought back."

Even so, he looks around as well, trying to spot any tracks or signs of more than the two they had faced.

Probably redundant at this point, buuuut...
15:11, Today: Mayon Graycross rolled 20 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 16.  Perception.

DM
 GM, 265 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 7 Jan 2017
at 15:42
Re: Day 2
Mayon's sharp eyes spy a particularly large set of boulders about 150 feet away from the tomb's entrance. There appear to be a few branches broken off nearby bushes and trees that could indicate passage of creatures between two of the rocks.


The group of boulders in question is D7-I13 on the map.



Mayon Graycross
 player, 138 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sun 8 Jan 2017
at 18:04
Re: Day 2
Mayon focuses on the boulders, frowning a bit. "If there were any others, they may have gone through there." He says, pointing and glancing at the others. "Should we go take a look?"
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 93 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sun 8 Jan 2017
at 19:15
Re: Day 2
Jak frowned and then nodded. "I think we should take a look, since we're already here. I mean, just in case there's somethin' else there." And while he didn't say it, there was also unheard that he thought there might be loot there to find.
Bramwell Caulder
 player, 95 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Sun 8 Jan 2017
at 19:20
Re: Day 2
Bramwell leans over and wipes off his bloody axe onto the fallen half-ogre's ragged clothing, then hung the weapon back on his belt and went to collect whatever 'treasures' remained on the pile and return them to their owners.  "That ruse worked out fairly well, all things considered.  Was anybody hurt?"  Adjusting his spectacles, he looked off in the direction Mayon indicated and nodded at his and Jak's suggestion, "Yes, I think you may be correct, Mayon.  If these two had accomplices, they may have fled to gather reinforcements.  We'd best check, just in case."  With that, Bram set off hiking toward the boulders, though he'd allow anyone with better tracking skills to take the lead.
DM
 GM, 268 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 8 Jan 2017
at 21:18
Re: Day 2
A quick search of the boulders reveals a small camp, large enough for two bandits to cook small meals and gain some protection from the elements. The rudimentary cooking tools and filthy bedrolls seem to be of less than zero value.

There is no indication from the hidden camp or the ground surrounding it that any more than two creatures ever frequented the area.
Morg Danforge
 player, 94 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Mon 9 Jan 2017
at 13:30
Re: Day 2
Returning from the camp, Morg searches the two bodies looking for weapons and other possessions.
DM
 GM, 269 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 9 Jan 2017
at 16:36
Re: Day 2
Morg discovers very little on the dead goblin and half-ogre, other than poorly made weapons and filthy clothing.
Mayon Graycross
 player, 139 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Mon 9 Jan 2017
at 16:47
Re: Day 2
"Well, I suppose that's settled then." Mayon says, relieved that it seems to have just been the two. "They must've hid out here and waited for people to trigger that noise trap, then set up while we were in the tomb. It was probably pretty recent too, since I think folks in town would have been gossiping quite a bit if someone got mugged out here."
Asano Breathkill
 player, 102 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Mon 9 Jan 2017
at 18:20
Re: Day 2
"Well, shall we return to Red Larch for the evening," Asano inquires of the party. "Mayhap the oven has been repaired sufficient for use at the inn."
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 94 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 9 Jan 2017
at 19:07
Re: Day 2
Jak snooped around the area for a bit, checking out as thoroughly as he could to see if they had missed something, if there was anything hidden. If the unlikely bandit duo had been robbing people, surely they would have had some of their ill-gotten booty around somewhere? But perhaps they sold it or traded it away.

He nodded. "Headin' back an' sleeping sounds wonderful! Maybe a good big meal too! That'd hit the spot!"

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:19, Mon 09 Jan 2017.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 140 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Tue 10 Jan 2017
at 23:34
Re: Day 2
"Sounds great, after today." Mayon agrees with a smile, relieved that this particular problem is over and done with. Bandits in the morning and goblins in the evening. A good night's rest would be a godsend.

So are we just heading back to town, then?
Bramwell Caulder
 player, 96 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Wed 11 Jan 2017
at 23:53
Re: Day 2
Once it was clear that this odd pair were the only threats in the area, Bram put away his axe and shield and retrieved his journal.  As he scribbled notes on the encounter he wondered aloud, "Seems an odd location for banditry, unless tomb robbery is more common than one might expect."  Putting away his writing implements, Bram nodded.  "Very well, let's return to Red Larch.  I don't know if Constable Harbuckle had an eye on this place, but I reckon he'd be grateful we've rid the area of these two."

As the party made their way back to town the half-elf remarked, "Each of you have shown commendable courage in facing these dangers.  I believe we've done good today."  He then suggested, "Perhaps tomorrow we might set out early toward Lance Rock?  It seems that much trouble brews there."
Morg Danforge
 player, 95 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Thu 12 Jan 2017
at 05:09
Re: Day 2
"The plague place? Aye."

As they head back to town, Morg falls back to walk next to Verthel. "Who is the Lady of Winter? I haven't heard of her before."

This message was last edited by the player at 05:12, Thu 12 Jan 2017.

DM
 GM, 272 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 12 Jan 2017
at 16:12
Re: Day 2
The sun sinks lower over the horizon as the group makes their way back to Red Larch. The rugged terrain rises and falls under their feet. A distant urgent bleating sounds somewhere off to the north, perhaps from one of the outlying homesteads that dot the Dessarin Valley.

Returning to the Swinging Sword, the group finds a new face in the common room, calmly eating from a bowl. Through the back windows, it is plain a new makeshift stove has been constructed outside, perhaps not much more sturdily than before.

Sambrose enters from the backdoor and nods to the returning party, carrying an edible-smelling pot of food from outside. "Welcome back gentlemen," he says. "Beans tonight, if yer int'rested." He smiles somewhat apologetically.




XP (Haunted Tomb):

Goblin: 50 XP
Half-ogre: 200 XP
DM award, eliminating tomb raiders: 200 XP
Total XP: 450
XP per person: 113


This message was last edited by the GM at 18:56, Thu 12 Jan 2017.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 96 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 12 Jan 2017
at 17:10
Re: Day 2
Jakrynn turned his head curiously to look where the bleating sound came from. He was a city-born boy and sometimes still wasn't used to rural life or time in the wilds. He idly wondered if they should check out the noise, but he was tired so he let it be.

He smiled as he smelled good when they entered the Swinging Sword. "Oh I could eat a WHOLE COW! But beans'll do." He chuckled and plopped down in a chair.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 104 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 12 Jan 2017
at 17:26
Re: Day 2
Asano settles the majority of his traveling gear in his room, keeping his wand and basic necessities on him, then heads to the Swinging Sword. He nods in thanks as the beans are delivered to the table, fairly oblivious to the outside noises as he tucks into the simple evening fare.
Mayon Graycross
 player, 143 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Thu 12 Jan 2017
at 17:31
Re: Day 2
The noise caught Mayon's attention, but he was more interested in getting some rest after the long day. He leaves his belongings in his room, keeping only his gloves close at hand--though not actually on his hands--and thanks Sambrose politely before joining the others in eating.
DM
 GM, 273 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 12 Jan 2017
at 18:55
Re: Day 2
Various maids and helpers pass through the common room, and Kaylessa stops in to exchange pleasantries. Otherwise the meal passes uneventfully, and quickly.


Head to bed and start Day 3? Or something else before we end the day?

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:56, Thu 12 Jan 2017.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 97 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Thu 12 Jan 2017
at 21:17
Re: Day 2
Bramwell's ears perked up at the distressed bleating echoing from further north in the valley.  Drawing upon knowledge gleaned from a youth in rural country as well as later studies of natural philosophy, the half-elf attempted to identify the creature and interpret what the call communicated.  Was it a mating call, a cry of pain, or simply a random bleating?


Woah, Bram knows his animal calls, apparently!:
  • 13:04, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 24 using 1d20+4.  Nature.

If Bram has reason to believe that a nearby farm is under attack then he'll want to go investigate.  If it's nothing then resting up until the next day sounds good.

DM
 GM, 274 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 12 Jan 2017
at 22:01
Re: Day 2
*A brief flashback to cover the bleating*

Bram believes the cry was some sort of farm animal in pain. It could have been from an injury, a routine slaughter of an animal by a farmer, or even because it was giving birth. Rumors of monsters throughout the Valley, particularly in the Sumber Hills, leave open the possibility of some sort of predator as well.

In any case, the noise happened only once, and the normal sounds of the Valley returned quickly. The paladin has no reason to believe an attack was underway.
Morg Danforge
 player, 96 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Fri 13 Jan 2017
at 13:20
Re: Day 2
Morg adds some of his ale to the beans, and says "Who was initially worried about the tomb? We should at least tell Harburk about the dead goblin and ogre, and warn about the ghost. If we do it tomorrow he may have news about the quarry."

"I'm running low on cash - if no-one can check for enchantments or curses on the bandit loot, should we sell it? I have some experience fixing up wagons, if we want to keep that."

Asano Breathkill
 player, 105 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Fri 13 Jan 2017
at 19:16
Re: Day 2
"A wagon could be useful," Asano says, swallowing a mouthful of beans. "I imagine we can find the good sheriff after supper. Probably across the way at the Helm." AS thoughthe statement settles anything, he goes back to finishing his beans.
DM
 GM, 280 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 18 Jan 2017
at 01:14
Re: Day 2
The meal ends uneventfully, and the occupants of the common room head upstairs for the evening.


Long rest here - recover hp, spell slots, etc.

Net Loot Day 2 (including sale of goods to happen tomorrow):

Asano: add 4 gp, 4 sp, 16 cp
Bram: add 6 gp, 11 sp, 16 cp
Jak: add 6 gp, 11 sp, 16 cp
Mayon: add 6 gp, 4 sp, 16 cp
Morg: add 5 gp, 8 sp, 11 cp
Verthel: add 6 gp, 4 sp, 16 cp