Day 2 - Bandits & Crypt.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 160 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 18 Nov 2016
at 02:32
Day 2
In the morning, Kaylessa bids her guests good morning and offers a choice of leftover crumblecake or cold bread and cheese. She apologizes for the lack of choice, then goes outside to oversee the ongoing work in the backyard. A makeshift fire pit and grill looks to be under construction there.

Leaving the inn, the group makes their way out of Red Larch heading south to the center of town. A grand mansion on the corner of the two main roads in town is illuminated with morning sunlight, which causes its stone to glow with an almost unearthly light. Its double wooden doors, painted with the symbols of many gods, are flung wide.

The group turns to the east along the Cairn Road, passing by a clothier's shop and a cluttered yard of half-completed wagons before the town proper gives way to farmland.

After about five miles of travel along the well-worn road, the farms to either side give way to slightly rockier terrain like that described by the constable the prior evening. The group comes upon two large boulders near the side of the road, where several sets of footprints between the rocks are easily visible.




Red Larch thread & Dessarin Valley location updated.


This message was last edited by the GM at 02:34, Fri 18 Nov 2016.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 51 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Fri 18 Nov 2016
at 16:22
Day 2
Asano graciously accepts the cold bread and cheese before the party heads out of town. He munches away quite happily, finishing the food well before the town limits. As the party travels, he admires Mayon's gloves and attempts to size up the rest of the group's relative strengths and deficiencies. When the party finds the footprints, he pulls the wand at his side.
Mayon Graycross
 player, 80 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sat 19 Nov 2016
at 15:18
Day 2
Mayon brushes a few crumbs from his hands as they walk, his gloves on should anything happen. He notes Asano's wand and nods quietly, curious about the make. Now wasn't the time though. His eyes then fall to the footprints and he tenses a bit. Well, they'd found a trail.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 47 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sat 19 Nov 2016
at 17:20
Day 2
Jak was disappointed about the evening before. It made it a bit hard to get to sleep, but once he did he was out like a light. In the morning he was not at all disappointed by his choices and took some of both choices that Kaylessa gave them. He fed a bit of the cheese to his mouse companion with a smile. Some of the food was put in to pockets for later.

When they left town, his spirits had risen sufficiently for him to be humming, albeit on the quiet side. His head tilted to the side when he saw the footprints. He frowned slightly and shook his head. "So. Shall we go check it out?" He fingered a dagger that seemed to appear out of almost nowhere with a grin on his face.

He stepped forward towards the boulders, as if to go between them, and checked for any hidden dangers or traps.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:25, Sun 20 Nov 2016.

DM
 GM, 164 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 20 Nov 2016
at 18:55
Day 2
Jak moves off the road toward the boulders and looks between them. In his narrow field of vision, he can tell that the land slopes downward behind the rocks. Brush and other rocks studs the grasslands here and there.

Just beyond one of the bushes, Jak sees part of a cart or wagon of some kind. Also, the smell of burning wood, as if from a cookfire, hangs in the air.

Bandit Hunt map updated.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:42, Sun 20 Nov 2016.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 53 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sun 20 Nov 2016
at 21:37
Day 2
"Oh, definitely," Asano smiles wolfishly. "I would love an easy job, after last night." He moves to the boulders waiting for the tougher party members to move toward the possible encampment.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 50 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sun 20 Nov 2016
at 22:20
Day 2
Jak frowned slightly. "Hmm...I think either they may've hit a caravan or person recently, or they have a cart or wagon t'haul goods after they take stuff.. I see a wagon just over there...an' I smell smoke, could be a campfire but I ain't sure." He kept his voice pitched low as he looked around and sniffed the air.
Mayon Graycross
 player, 81 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sun 20 Nov 2016
at 22:28
Day 2
"Should we take a closer look?" Mayon asks softly, creeping forward as well. If it was a caravan, they may have left injured people or...bodies.The thought makes him queasy as he eyes the scene warily.


15:26, Today: Mayon Graycross rolled 24 using 1d20+4. Perception check, looking to see if there's any signs of people, living or dead. Also WHOO, Nat 20 :D
Morg Danforge
 player, 47 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Mon 21 Nov 2016
at 07:33
Day 2
Morg hands Verthel the wide brimmed straw hat Bram gave him, and softly asks "Do any of you have magic tricks to turn into birds, or other critters that don't taste nice, to scout it out?"

This message was last edited by the player at 07:37, Mon 21 Nov 2016.

DM
 GM, 166 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 21 Nov 2016
at 18:31
Day 2
Moving between the boulders, Mayon can just make out something that clearly looks like a wagon near some bushes. There appears to be a cage in the wagon, though he can't make out who or what is inside. The crackle of a fire is definitely audible, and echos off the rock.

Suddenly the cage wobbles somewhat, as if something inside it shifted, or swatted at the door.

I've moved Mayon and Asano a bit closer to the boulders, but it will be easier to tell where you want to move to if you use the coordinates on the map going forward. This will be particularly useful when if we end up in initiative.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 51 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 21 Nov 2016
at 18:45
Day 2
Jak moved forward quietly, trying to see what the thing (or possibly person) in the cage actually was. He was very curious, and wanted to know if it was something that might aid them....or be unleashed on them.

Moving to X10.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:43, Mon 21 Nov 2016.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 54 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Mon 21 Nov 2016
at 19:39
Day 2
Asano creeps forward, trying to maintain a stealthy posture and pace. He peers down the slope, his sharp eyes discerning as many details of the camp as he can.

OOC:
Stealth- 5
Perception- 20
Move to W8, focus in hand.

Morg Danforge
 player, 50 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Mon 21 Nov 2016
at 20:57
Re: Day 2
Seeing the others creep past the boulders, Morg tries to stand perfectly still so as not to make a noise.

He tightens his grip on the warhammer, peers over his shield, and readies himself for a charge - hoping they're not about to scare the hells out of some innocent travellers.


Bramwell Caulder
 player, 53 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Tue 22 Nov 2016
at 00:06
Re: Day 2
After awakening from a good night's rest, Bramwell was happy to hit the road with bread and cheese in hand and a law-approved quest to be done.

Bram had been observing the flight patterns of a flock of birds wheeling overhead when the others began investigating something off to the side of the road.  He'd already gotten several strides head before he noticed the others weren't with him.  He looked back and began to ask, "Why have we--Oh.  Right."  Hastily, he unslung the round shield from his back and secured it on his left arm, then took up his bearded battleaxe in his main hand.

OOC:  Starting in AC12, Equipping shield and battleaxe.
Verthel Go'Van
 player, 42 posts
 Drow Elf
 Cleric of Auril
Tue 22 Nov 2016
at 17:57
Re: Day 2
Verthel got quiet- even more quiet than usual- and unslung his mace and shield. He silently prayed on his reliquary, ready to unleash the fury of Auril at a moment's notice.

Moving to AB9.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:58, Tue 22 Nov 2016.

DM
 GM, 170 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 22 Nov 2016
at 18:20
Re: Day 2
Creeping forward, Jak and Asano peer through the thick brush of the area.

A makeshift camp sits in front of the entrance to a shallow cave. Four surly-looking human men sharpen their blades around a fire, where the remains of a large animal roasts on a spit.

The nearby wagon carries a wooden cage atop it. Inside the cage, a black bear paws at the bars.

One of the men wipes dirt away from his face and looks up just in time to lock eyes with Asano. With a cry, he and his fellows bolt upright. Pulling out crossbows, they race for the cover of the nearby brush and take aim at the newcomers.

Cairn Road Bandit Hunt map updated.

The bushes grant half cover (a target with half cover has a +2 bonus to AC and Dexterity saving throws).

The red F square is the fire. The box with (BB) represents the black bear in the cage on the wagon.


Round 1

Initiative Order:

+--+
Mayon20
Bram19
Bandits 17
Jak14
Morg14
Verthel8
Asano7
Bear5
+---+




This message was last edited by the GM at 22:53, Tue 22 Nov 2016.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 54 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Tue 22 Nov 2016
at 19:20
Re: Day 2
Bram peered between the large boulders and laid eyes on the rough-looking fellows in their makeshift camp.  He asked, "Are these the bandits we're after?  They certainly have the look of bandits."  The half-elf begged Mayon's pardon before squeezing past, then advanced toward the camp behind raised shield.


  • Move to X9
  • Dash to R9

Mayon Graycross
 player, 82 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Tue 22 Nov 2016
at 19:29
Re: Day 2
Mayon's eyes widen, but he reacts quickly, darting and darts in front of Asano. He lifts his gloved hands, muttering a spell in Sylvan as he stares at the bandit straight ahead of him through the brush.

Movement: 30 feet--Z9 to U8
Action: Eldritch Blast on bandit B1--Natural 1, so I won't bother rolling any damage.

Bonus Action: Casting Hex on bandit B1. Imposing disadvantage on Dexterity checks and Mayon will cause an extra 1d6 Necrotic on any attacks that actually HIT.
I believe I also now have half-cover?
Also, the Hex uses my one spell slot until the next short rest.


12:20, Today: Mayon Graycross rolled 6 using 1d20+5.  Eldritch Blast.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:07, Tue 22 Nov 2016.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 54 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 22 Nov 2016
at 19:41
Re: Day 2
Jak let out a little sigh, but it was obviously theatrics as there was a wide grin on his face. He hurried forward to take cover behind one of the bushes. As he moved there he broke out in to a short snippet of song, clapping with the end of each line:

"Hey, don't go shootin' my heart, HEY!
Let's put down those crossbows t'start, HEY!"


Arcane energy built within him and then burst forth in a blinding flash of violet energy that seemed to envelop and cling to things in the area around where it exploded.

OOC: Shield in hand. Moving to R11 to use bush for cover.
 Casting Faerie Fire on J11, which should hit the bear and all the bandits but #4.
 Dexterity saving throw DC 14 to avoid for the bandits and bear.
  -unless the Bandits go before me and won't be in the area anymore in which case I'll have to edit.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:33, Tue 22 Nov 2016.

Verthel Go'Van
 player, 45 posts
 Drow Elf
 Cleric of Auril
Tue 22 Nov 2016
at 19:52
Re: Day 2
"In the name of the Winter Maiden, surrender at once!" He said, shield raised, heading towards the bandits at a steady pace.

Move to V9. Is it possible to do an Intimidate check to demoralize them?

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:54, Tue 22 Nov 2016.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 55 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Wed 23 Nov 2016
at 02:18
Re: Day 2
Asano grimaces as the crossbows point down the alley of bushes. He rushes forward to the nearest cover, gathering power as he moves. The tip of his wand begins glowing as he mutters a soothing chant and thrusts the wand forward. A gentle breeze flows between the largest grouping of enemies, bursting softly in all directions with the faint sound of a lullaby.

OOC:
Move to T8. Cast sleep where the 20' radius will affect as many enemies as possible.

Sleep affects up to 18 hit points of creatures, starting with the lowest hit point total.
Wild Magic- 19

Morg Danforge
 player, 51 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Wed 23 Nov 2016
at 12:11
Re: Day 2
Morg sees Mayon and then Bram run past the boulders, hears a crackle, and then Bram asking something.

[Bandits 1-4].

Morg runs behind Jak past the boulders.
Move: run 25' to Y9.
Action: dash 25' to T13 if none of the bandits are within melee range, otherwise attack with warhammer (I'll roll then if that happened).
Free action: sheath his warhammer if any of the bandits attack with their crossbows and none of them move towards us.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:29, Wed 23 Nov 2016.

DM
 GM, 174 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 23 Nov 2016
at 16:14
Re: Day 2
The bandits become agitated as Mayon and Bram approach them. One by one they dart out from behind bushes and fire off bolts towards the intruders, then quickly retreat back behind cover.

One stumbles awkwardly but buries a bolt directly in Mayon's chest. The half-elf slumps to the ground, unconscious. Two other bolts land solidly in Bram's shoulder and thigh, dropping him to the ground as well. A fourth bolt opens a nasty gash in Jak's cheek.

Suddenly one of the bandits erupts in flickering violet light, casting strange shadows around the bushes and rocks nearby. The fellow next to him suddenly falls to the earth, asleep.

From within its cage, the bear roars and hurls itself against the door. The door to the cage holds, however.

One of the bandits scowls at Verthel from behind a bush. "Surrender yourself. Go back where you came from. We'll send you back under the ground one way or the other."


Mayon runs in and misses with an eldritch blast. He hexes B1.

Bram runs into the fray.

The bandits stay put and fire crossbow bolts:
B1: Attacks Mayon - CRIT 13 piercing damage - Mayon is unconscious (0 HP) and will need to make death saves per rules [sorry! I crit my first attack roll in the game...]. B1 no longer hexed (lost conc).
B2: Attacks Bram - CRIT 12 piercing damage - Bram is unconscious (0 HP) and will need to make death saves per rules [er, make that my first 2 attack rolls - I mean, what the actual...]
B3: Attacks Bram - Hit for 6 piercing - Bram registers 1 death save failure [shaking my head...]
B4: Attacks Jak - Hit for 4 piercing

Jak casts Faerie Fire on J11 - it's a 20' cube, so that catches bandits B2 & B3 and the bear in its effect (B1 is farther than 10' away from the point of origin - I added a 20' cube to the map to show this):
B2: Fails save - attack rolls against B2 grant advantage
B3: Makes save
BB: Makes save [my 3rd nat 20 of the round... the dice roller loves me apparently]

Morg runs into the fray and puts away his warhammer.

Verthel runs in and attempts to intimidate the bandits.

Asano casts sleep, which affects the same area as Faerie Fire. B3 falls asleep.

The bear hurls itself against the cage door, but it holds.


Round 2

Initiative Order:


WhoInitStatus
Mayon20unconscious
Bram19unconscious, 1 death save fail
Bandits 17B2 grants adv; B3 is asleep
Jak14Conc: Faerie Fire
Morg14 
Verthel8 
Asano7 
Bear5in cage



This message was last edited by the GM at 17:06, Wed 23 Nov 2016.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 86 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Wed 23 Nov 2016
at 16:39
Re: Day 2
09:39, Today: Secret Roll: Mayon Graycross rolled 16 using 1d20.  Death Saving Throw 1.
Can't exactly say anything IC at this point, but hey, that's one success!

Asano Breathkill
 player, 56 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Wed 23 Nov 2016
at 17:11
Re: Day 2
Asano looks back at the fallen forms of his new comrades, then visibly steels his mind. He moves around the thicket, the crystal of his wand frosting over as he gathers his power for a freezing ray. He launches the magic from his wand at the faerie-rimed bandit, the ray hitting the bandit and slowing his movements.

OOC:
Move from T8 to R6.
Ray of Frost att- 6 (18 advantage)
Damage- 4 and the B2's movement is reduced by 10' until the start of my next turn.

Morg Danforge
 player, 52 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Wed 23 Nov 2016
at 17:51
Re: Day 2
Morg pulls out his javelin, plants his left foot, and lets the javelin fly towards the bandit who shot Jak, aiming it so as to try and knock the bandit out instead of killing it.
Move: run 25' from T13 to O16.
Free action: pull out javelin if none of the bandits are in melee range. (If any are, then he unsheaths and attacks with his warhammer instead.)
Action: attack B4 by throwing javelin 20' (if B4 still at K20). (If B4 moved and is now >30' away, and another non-sleeping bandit is =<30' away, throw javelin at the other B instead. If none are =<30' away, then target B4 anyway and I'll roll a disadvantage to hit later.)

19:47, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 19 using 1d20+6.  Attack B4 with javelin.
19:49, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 7 using 1d6+6.  Piercing damage with javelin to B4 (+STRm+dueling fighting style).

Verthel Go'Van
 player, 48 posts
 Drow Elf
 Cleric of Auril
Thu 24 Nov 2016
at 00:50
Re: Day 2
Verthel sees his fallen comrades, and moves to assist them. The closest is Bram, the Glyphscribe.

Move to Q9. Using Cure Wounds on Bram. He heals 8 damage, and is automatically stabilized.

Verthel Go'Van rolled 8 using 1d8+2 with rolls of 6.  Cure Wounds.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 62 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 24 Nov 2016
at 15:02
Re: Day 2
Jak sang a little ditty to inspire his new ally to get back up off the ground, but his mind was really focused on the bandits. "Wake up! Wake up! It's time to get a-workin'!"

To one of the bandits he called out as he tapped on the drum hanging at his waist, "You didn't even need t'shoot at us! Your smell will drive us away!"

OOC: Sigh. Healing Word bonus action - Mayon heals the minimum 5 hit points.
Vicious Mockery for action on B1, 1 hit point and disadvantage on next attack if he doesn't make the Wisdom saving throw.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 57 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Thu 24 Nov 2016
at 17:19
Re: Day 2
As Bram advances toward the camp he feels a punch to his shoulder, and then a leg getting kicked out from under him.  Where did that come from?  As he toppled backward he glanced down and noticed the fletching sticking out of his shoulder and mumbled a shocked, "Oh...!"  Then he landed heavily on the leaf-strewn ground, unconscious.

That's two failed death saves:
  • 09:12, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 5 using 1d20.  Death save.

DM
 GM, 180 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 24 Nov 2016
at 17:59
Re: Day 2
The bandits hold firm and fire another volley at the approaching party. Jak staggers from another glancing blow from a crossbow bolt, but is able to keep his feet.

A couple of the bandits take wounds from the approaching attackers, but their resolve holds steady. One bandit takes a surreptitious sniff at his armpit, then growls but otherwise says nothing.

The bear continues its efforts to break out of its cage, to no avail.



Round 2 Summary:

Mayon and Bram start out unconscious.

The bandits again fire crossbow bolts:
B1: Attacks Jak (+2 AC from partial cover)- Hit for 4 piercing  & makes con save for concentration
B2: Attacks Morg - MISS
B3: Asleep
B4: Attacks Verthel - MISS

Jak heals Mayon. Mayon now has 5 hp and is prone, but is otherwise feeling fine. Jak casts vicious mockery on B1 who fails the save - B1 takes 1 psychic damage and has disadv on next attack.

Morg throws a javelin and hits B4 for 7 piercing.

Verthel moves to Bram's side and heals him. Bram now has 8 hp and is prone, but is otherwise feeling fine.

Asano hits B2 with Ray of Frost for 4 cold damage. B2 is slowed by 10'.

The bear hurls itself against the cage door, but it holds.


Round 3 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Mayon20prone
Bram19prone
Bandits17B1 has disadv for next attack; B2 grants adv & slowed 10'; B3 is asleep
Jak14Conc: Faerie Fire
Morg14 
Verthel8 
Asano7 
Bear5in cage



This message was last edited by the GM at 18:09, Thu 24 Nov 2016.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 91 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Thu 24 Nov 2016
at 18:32
Re: Day 2
Mayon lets out a sharp gasp as he's pulled back to consciousness, the pain ebbing from his injury. He gets to his feet, calling out a brief "Thanks!" towards Jak before facing the bandits again, aiming his palm towards the one he had attacked initially. "You brought this on yourself." He mutters, and fires.

Movement: 15 feet, getting up from being prone. Move to T7.
Action: 11:30, Today: Secret Roll: Mayon Graycross rolled 9 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 4.  Eldritch Blast.
Attack meant for B1.
GDI dice roller. Doubt that hits, but just to humor myself:
11:31, Today: Secret Roll: Mayon Graycross rolled 8 using 1d10 with rolls of 8.
...of course it would be a good roll -.-
Don't have any bonus actions, so there we go.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:05, Thu 24 Nov 2016.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 59 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Thu 24 Nov 2016
at 19:04
Re: Day 2
Bram awakened with a shiver and opened his eyes to see Verthel standing over him.  He groaned and pulled the crossbow bolt from where it was wedged between the links of his chain armor, then staggered to his feet.  "My thanks, friend, and to the Frostmaiden as well."  Seeing the bandits still holding their ground ahead, Bram raised his candle-emblazoned shield and pressed forward.  He could only hope it would actually deflect something this time.


  • Stand up with 15 feet of movement
  • Move to O9 with remaining movement
  • Dodge: disadvantage to attackers I can see and advantage on Dex saves

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 63 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 24 Nov 2016
at 20:24
Re: Day 2
Jak let out a pained grunt as he was hit with another crossbow bolt. He was starting to feel a little loopy and woozy from pain and bloodloss. "Yeah, that's right, an' y'gotta pick on defenseless travelers t'feel good about yerself!" He tried mocking the same bandit again, hoping to keep his aim un-true.

He looked over at Mayon and shook his head. "hey! psst! keep yer eyes ON the target as ya release the spell! you can do it! He gave the man a thumbs up and a smile of encouragement.

Then he hurried further to try and put distance, and more bushes, between him and the bandits.

Action: Vicious Mockery on B1 again (2hp if he doesn't save this time).
Bonus action: Inspire Mayon (D6).
Move action: Move to V15.

Morg Danforge
 player, 55 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Thu 24 Nov 2016
at 23:03
Re: Day 2
Morg is hit by a crossbow bolt, but instead of removing it, he just runs straight at his attacker.

Ignoring his javelin, Morg unsheaths his warhammer, and using his momentum, swing it in a single arc towards the torso of his attacker, aiming it so as to try and knock him out instead of killing him.
Move: run 20' from O16 to K19.

Bonus action: 2nd wind - heals 4 HP.

Free action: unsheath warhammer.

Action: attack B4 with warhammer, knock out - hits AC 13 for 7 bludgeoning.

00:51, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 4 using 1d10+1 with rolls of 3.  2nd wind healing.
00:53, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 13 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 7.  Attack B4 with warhammer.
00:54, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 7 using 1d8+6 with rolls of 1.  Bludgeoning damage with warhammer to B4.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:28, Fri 25 Nov 2016.

Verthel Go'Van
 player, 51 posts
 Drow Elf
 Cleric of Auril
Fri 25 Nov 2016
at 19:11
Re: Day 2
Verthel narrows his eyes and strides forth to meet his foes. "Enough of this," he says, holding out his reliquary. "Might of the Frostmaiden, instruct these fools in their error!"

Then, a sound like a thunderclap echoes forth, slamming the enemies around him back.



Move to K10. Activating Thunderwave, which affects everyone in a 15 foot cube (B2 & B3). They take 8 thunder damage and are pushed back 10 feet, unless they make a Constitution save, in which case they take half damage and aren't pushed back.

14:11, Today: Secret Roll: Verthel Go'Van rolled 8 using 2d8 with rolls of 5,3.  Thunderwave.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:30, Sat 26 Nov 2016.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 58 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sat 26 Nov 2016
at 02:38
Re: Day 2
Asano moves forward, his wand freezing over again. He levels the crystal at the bandit across the brush from him, another thin beam of frost magic blasting through the foliage.

OOC:
Move from R6 to L7.

Ray of Frost vs B1- 13
Damage- 4
If I hit B1, his movement is reduced by 10 feet until the end of my next turn.


DM
 GM, 189 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 26 Nov 2016
at 14:02
Re: Day 2
Finally noticing his fellow is asleep next to him, one of the bandits bends down to slap him awake. He sits up with a start and looks around frantically for his crossbow.

The remaining two bandits fire again at the approaching attackers. One bolt hits Morg in his arm, which starts bleeding.

Verthel's spell shatters the morning stillness. Echos of a thunderclap echo off the nearby rocks as two of the bandits fly backward. One lands in the fire, knocking the remains of the boar unto the ground. Screaming in agony, he stumbles away, then collapses next to his companion.



Round 3 Summary:

Mayon moves closer to the brush and misses with another Eldritch Blast.

Bram moves closer to the bandits and dodges - imposes disadv on attackers until the start of Bram's next turn.

The bandits again fire crossbow bolts:
B1: Attacks Bram with disadv - MISS
B2: Wakes B3
B3: Wakes up and stands, retrieves crossbow.
B4: Attacks Morg - CRIT 6 piercing damage

Jak casts Vicious Mockery on B1 who fails the save - B1 takes 2 psychic damage and has disadv on next attack. Jak gives Mayon Bardic Inspiration (d6), and retreats.

Morg uses his Second Wind  and moves to melee with B4. He misses with his warhammer.

Verthel moves closer and casts Thunderwave, catching B2 & B3 in the effect:
B2: Fails save - takes 8 thunder damage, and is pushed back to H14. B2 is dead.
B3: Fails save - takes 8 thunder damage, and is pushed back to I15 into the fire. He takes 3 additional fire damage. B3 is dead.

Asano moves closer and misses with another Ray of Frost.

The bear hurls itself against the cage door, but it holds.


Round 4 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Mayon20bardic inspiration d6
Bram19dodging (until start of turn)
Bandits17B1 has disadv for next attack; B2 & B3 are dead
Jak14Conc: Faerie Fire (tho everyone affected is dead)
Morg14 
Verthel8 
Asano7 
Bear5in cage



This message was last edited by the GM at 16:54, Sat 26 Nov 2016.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 93 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sat 26 Nov 2016
at 14:55
Re: Day 2
Mayon laughs a bit at Jak's remark to him, and winces a bit as the two bandits are sent flying. Even so... "Good job, Verthel!" He calls out.

He turns towards the one directly in front of him and lets another blast of crackling energy loose from his palm, feeling a bit more confident now that their numbers are down. Hey, this guy had shot him. He was just returning the favor.

Action:
07:51, Today: Secret Roll: Mayon Graycross rolled 20 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 15.  Eldritch Blast. (THANK THE GODS)
07:52, Today: Secret Roll: Mayon Graycross rolled 8 using 1d10 with rolls of 8. (Force damage, I believe)
Target is B1.
Mayon's staying where he is.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:08, Sat 26 Nov 2016.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 59 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sat 26 Nov 2016
at 17:04
Re: Day 2
Asano watches as the eldritch blast burns through the foliage and viciously drops the bandit to the ground. He grits his teeth in frustration, but quickly controls the expression. He shoots Mayon a nod of respect. He moves cautiously around the smoldering thicket and carefully sets to stabilising the bandit, hopefully preserving any information the man may hold.

OOC:
Move from L7 to I9.

Medicine- 10

This message was last edited by the player at 22:08, Sat 26 Nov 2016.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 61 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Sat 26 Nov 2016
at 18:04
Re: Day 2
Bram continued advancing behind his shield, and let out a startled yelp as thunder split the air and killed two of the bandits.  Circling around behind the brush he quickly descended upon one of the last remaining bandits and sternly reiterated Asano's demand for surrender, "This is over for you.  It would be wise of you to lay down your arms."  The half-elf stood with eyes locked intently on the bandit, axe wielded low behind him and ready to strike if the scoundrel makes any move that isn't an immediate surrender.


  • Move around North side of bush to I7
  • Ready a Battleaxe attack against B1 if he starts to do anything other than immediately surrender: Hit AC 20 for 4 slashing 

09:47, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 4 using 1d8+3 with rolls of 1.  Readied Battleaxe damage.
09:46, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 20 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 15.  Readied Battleaxe attack.

Morg Danforge
 player, 59 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w0/1)
Sun 27 Nov 2016
at 05:43
Re: Day 2
With his arm bleeding, Morg struggles to lift his shield quick enough, allowing the bandit's spear to pierce him.

Morg retaliates by swinging with his warhammer, trying to only knock him out instead of killing him.
Move: if neither are moved by someone else, then run 10' from K19 around B4 to K21.

Action: attack B4 with warhammer,
knock out - hits AC 13 for 13 bludgeoning.

If B4 is down, then Morg will, with his Free action: sheath his warhammer and pick up his javelin.

07:26, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 13 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 7.  Attack B4 with warhammer.
07:28, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 13 using 1d8+6 with rolls of 7. Bludgeoning damage with warhammer to B4.

Edit: I changed the move's conditional to not be about knocking B4 out, because an attack of opportunity won't be triggered anyway.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:56, Sun 27 Nov 2016.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 64 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sun 27 Nov 2016
at 18:38
Re: Day 2
Jak decided that Morg should be helped out as well, as the rest of the group seemed to be taking care of the rest of the bandits. He moved from one bush cover to the next. Then he called out to the bandit there, "If you were smart you'd surrender. But then if you were smart you wouldn't be facin' that dwarf!" He shook his head as Morg whalloped the bandit almost immediately after he finished speaking. "Ouch! Heh."

Dropping concentration on Faerie Fire.
Move to Q18.
Vicious Mockery on B4 (1 damage and disadvantage if not saved).

This message was last edited by the player at 03:55, Tue 29 Nov 2016.

Verthel Go'Van
 player, 53 posts
 Drow Elf
 Cleric of Auril
Tue 29 Nov 2016
at 03:48
Re: Day 2
Verthel heads over to one of the remaining bandits and swings at him, hoping to end the battle quickly.

Move to I9. Swing at B1 with my mace. Rolled a 17. If it hits, it deals 7 bludgeoning damage.
DM
 GM, 198 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 29 Nov 2016
at 19:29
Re: Day 2
A blast of energy from Mayon hits the bandit nearest the cart and staggers him backwards. In defiance of Bram's admonition to surrender, he raises his crossbow to fire back at Mayon. "I'll see you in hell!" the bandit shrieks as Bram cuts him down.

The remaining bandit responds to Jak's jibe. "I'm smart enough oppressor - just got nothin' to lose. I'm takin' you all with me." He puts away his crossbow and stabs at Morg with a spear. The spear pierces the fighter's foot.

With a crash, the door of the cage falls to the ground, and the bear half-falls out of the cart onto the ground. He looks around hungrily, saliva dripping from his mouth.



Round 4 Summary:

Mayon hits B1 with Eldritch Blast for 8 force damage.

Bram moves into melee range with B1 and readies an action.

The bandits continue attacking:
- B1 starts to attack Mayon but instead triggers Bram's readied action and is hit for 4 slashing damage. B1 is unconscious.
- B4 attacks Morg with a spear - hit for 3 piercing damage.

Jak moves closer and casts Vicious Mockery on B4, who fails the save. B4 takes 1 psychic damage and has disadv on next attack.

Morg circles the remaining bandit and misses with his warhammer.

Verthel moves closer to B1 and beans him on the head with his mace.

Asano moves next to B1 and stabilizes him.

The bear breaks out of the cage and moves to H12.

Round 5 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Mayon20bardic inspiration d6
Bram19 
Bandit 417Disadv on next attack
Jak14 
Morg14 
Verthel8 
Asano7 
Bear5 



This message was last edited by the GM at 16:09, Wed 30 Nov 2016.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 97 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Tue 29 Nov 2016
at 19:39
Re: Day 2
Mayon smirks a bit as he sees the bandit fall, turning to see Morg struggling with the last one...and then there was a bear. Cursing softly, he starts running , his hand a bit shaky from the movement as he tries to cast his own magic once again.


Movement: Moving from T7 to S12
Action: Sticking with the classics.
2:36, Today: Secret Roll: Mayon Graycross rolled 9 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 4.  Eldritch Blast B4.
12:36, Today: Secret Roll: Mayon Graycross rolled 2 using 1d6 with rolls of 2.  Adding Inspiration.
And back to being inaccurate as hell. If it hit by some miracle, damage would be...
12:37, Today: Secret Roll: Mayon Graycross rolled 8 using 1d10 with rolls of 8.
Well hey, at least when I hit I get pretty consistent damage!

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 62 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Tue 29 Nov 2016
at 21:13
Re: Day 2
Bram looked up from the bandit he'd felled and watched with dismay as the bear knocked the door off its cage and tumbled out.  He muttered warily, "I'd rather not battle this beast if we can help it.  It may not want to fight."  The paladin hung his bearded axe back on his belt and cautiously rounded the campfire, putting it between himself and the huge beast.  Keeping eyes on the beast the whole time he slowly reached for the spit, where the bandits' breakfast still roasted over the flames.  He grabbed one end, lifted it off its stand and gently tossed the whole skewer of roasted meat to the ground near the bear.  He watched anxiously, hoping the beast's hunger outweighed its anger at this moment.


  • Sheathe battleaxe
  • Move to J13
  • Grab the spitted animal and toss it to a square adjacent to the bear.  Let me know what (if anything) I need to roll to accomplish this, DM!

Asano Breathkill
 player, 63 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Tue 29 Nov 2016
at 22:05
Re: Day 2
"Oh, hells," Asano mutters as the bear crashes out of the cage. He moves away slowly, grabbing the unconscious bandit under the arms and dragging him away from the cage. "Let it have the roast meat, maybe it'll just eat and go," he whispers to Verthel and Bramwell. "IF we get far enough away, it should ignore us."

OOC:
Drag the stable, unconscious bandit as far as I can, as quietly as I can. Planned route is up and around the thicket closest to my current position, then to the road. Ready my action to cast sleep if the bear comes at any of us.

Stealth- 16
Sleep- 28 (just in case)

DM
 GM, 200 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 30 Nov 2016
at 16:52
Re: Day 2
The remaining bandit stabs at Morg wildly, missing.


This is the mid-round update, as discussed in the OOC thread.

Bram tosses the bear some meat. Nice one; no roll needed.

The bandit doesn't move and attacks Morg with his spear at disadvantage - MISS

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:25, Wed 30 Nov 2016.

Morg Danforge
 player, 62 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w0/1)
Wed 30 Nov 2016
at 17:51
Re: Day 2
The taunt by Jak distracts the spear wielder so much (more than the hammer attacks against him) that he misses his attack on Morg, allowing the dwarf to take a second to inhale deeply, and exhale before trying to focus his next attack better.

He swings again with his warhammer, trying to knock him out.


Action: Morg attacks B4 with warhammer, trying knock him out, not kill - hits AC 25 for 7 bludgeoning.

If B4 is down, he will with his Free action: sheath his warhammer, pick up his javelin, with his Move: limp 5' around the bush to L22, and have a look at the bear and the situation in the rest of the camp.

19:36, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 25 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 19.  Attack B4 with warhammer, knock out only.
19:42, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 7 using 1d8+6 with rolls of 1.  Bludgeoning damage with warhammer to B4.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 66 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 30 Nov 2016
at 18:50
Re: Day 2
Jak mocked the bandit one more time, in case Morg wasn't able to finish him off. "Yeah? How's that whole 'take all of us down' plan workin' out fer ya so far now ye're the last scum standin'? Heh."

He kept a wary eye on the bear, however, out of the corner of his eye. He was worried that it would attack his friends and allies since the drow cleric had, presumably accidentally, hit it with the spell previously....and he himself had hit it with the faerie fire.

Move to 0-19. Vicious Mock Bandit #4.

11:46, Today: Secret Roll: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 1 using 1d4 with rolls of 1.  Vicious Mockery damage on B4 again if he's still up.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:52, Wed 30 Nov 2016.

DM
 GM, 202 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 3 Dec 2016
at 18:02
Re: Day 2
The bandit falls limp to the ground at Morg's blow.

The bear pounces on the little remaining meat on the bone. Quickly ripping it off and swallowing it whole, he looks around for more. He glares at Bram and growls.



Round 4 Summary:

Mayon moves closer and misses with another Eldritch Blast, using bardic inspiration.

Bram tosses the bear some meat.

The bandit doesn't move and attacks Morg with his spear at disadvantage - MISS.

Jak moves closer and casts Vicious Mockery on B4, who fails the save. B4 takes 1 psychic damage and has disadv on next attack.

Morg hits B4 and knocks him out. B4 is unconscious.

Verthel does nothing.

Asano moves to L6, dragging the unconscious B1.

The bear moves to G13 to get the meat.

Round 5 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Mayon20 
Bram19 
Jak14 
Morg14 
Verthel8 
Asano7 
Bear5 



Mayon Graycross
 player, 101 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sat 3 Dec 2016
at 19:29
Re: Day 2
Mayon sighs softly in relief to see the other bandit fall...but, they were left with the bear. "It'd be best to just chase it off. Make sure it heads away from the town." He calls out as he begins heading in that direction, careful not to get too close.


Full movement + Dash: Mayon moves from T12 to K15
12:28, Today: Mayon Graycross rolled 10 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 8.  Nature check. What does Mayon know about black bears? More specifically, what's a good way to chase them off?

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:39, Sat 03 Dec 2016.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 67 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Sun 4 Dec 2016
at 03:09
Re: Day 2
Bram had hoped the meat would keep the bear occupied long enough for their group to make an exit, so he groaned when it gobbled up all of it in an instant.  He'd read once in a treatise on wildlife that a bear could be frightened off by standing one's ground and making loud noises.  That seemed a foolish idea to him in this moment, but the author was an experienced ranger and swore by it.  He'd no choice but to try it.

The half-elf took his battleaxe back in hand and clanged it loudly and repeatedly against the metal of his shield, then let out a roar of defiance that didn't come out nearly as fearsome as he'd hoped.


OOC:  Rolled a pretty good Nature check to see if Bram knows how to fend off a bear, which I figure was probably enough for him to know the advice I got from google... not that it helped much :P

Actions:
  • Wield battleaxe
  • Intimidation check of 9 to make a lot of noise to try scaring off the bear

18:56, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 9 using 1d20+3.  Intimidation.
18:48, Today: Secret Roll: Bramwell Caulder rolled 19 using 1d20+4.  Int (Nature).

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:32, Sun 04 Dec 2016.

Morg Danforge
 player, 64 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w0/1)
Sun 4 Dec 2016
at 07:25
Re: Day 2
Morg limps over, putting his right foot on the knocked out man's shoulder, and quickly looks to see if he's just pretending to be unconscious.

He then follows Mayon and Bram's advice and example trying to scare the bear away, lifting his shield to make himself look taller, clanging his javelin on it, and roaring. He readies his javelin in case the bear looks like it's going to attack anyone.

Move: 10' from L22 to K20.

Action: ready javelin attack on bear in case it looks like it's gonna attack anyone. I'll roll for the readied action if it triggers because distance determines possible disadvantage.

09:19, Today: Morg Danforge rolled
21 using 1d20+2 with rolls of
19.  Intimidate bear.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 70 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 5 Dec 2016
at 18:40
Re: Day 2
Jak hesitated. He didn't want to kill the bear for no reason. The bandits had likely been treating it badly, maybe abusing it, maybe getting it to kill people. Or just holding it until they were ready to kill it and skin it. He didn't know.

As much as he didn't want to give up what he had saved, he wanted to save the bear more. So with a shrug, he moved towards the bear and tossed some more food towards it from his pockets.

OOC: Spending the round moving and tossing food (including a ration if he thinks the bear will eat it, but starting with fresher food.
Will move to K-14 and toss from there if he can.

DM
 GM, 203 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 6 Dec 2016
at 23:01
Re: Day 2
The bear starts advancing on Bram but stops to collect the food that Jak threw.

At Morg's loud bellowing, it lopes slowly along the side of the hill, occasionally looking back and growling. It eyes Asano and Verthel nearby.



Round 5 Summary:

Mayon moves closer to the bear.

Bram tries to intimidate the bear.

Jak moves closer and tosses the bear some more food.

Morg moves closer and intimidates the bear. He picks up his javelin and readies an attack.

Verthel does nothing.

Asano does nothing.

Bear moves to G5.

Round 6 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Mayon20 
Bram19 
Jak14 
Morg14 
Verthel8 
Asano7 
Bear5 



Bramwell Caulder
 player, 68 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Tue 6 Dec 2016
at 23:52
Re: Day 2
"Let it go...  Let it be..." Bram said quietly to the others as he anxiously watched the bear stalking away.  Glancing back over his shoulder at his dwarven friend he chuckled, "Your roar is far more terrifying than mine, Morg Bearbane!"  The paladin's bespectacled eye then turned toward the cave the bandits had been using as a hideout, and his attention was grabbed by something he saw there.  Keeping an eye on the bear, he slowly made his way to the cave entrance and peered inside with the comment, "The bandits stashed their ill-gotten treasures here, it seems..."


  • Move to F13
  • Give the loot a quick look-through: 15:50, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 12 using 1d20+4.  Investigation.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 103 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Wed 7 Dec 2016
at 01:02
Re: Day 2
Mayon sighs in relief as the bear heads away. "We should let the guards know in case it starts coming towards town and causing trouble, but I don't think it'll want to be around people for a while." He says, looking over at where the two bandits they had knocked unconscious laid. "What to do with those two? Handle them ourselves, or bring them for Sir Harburk to decide on?"
Asano Breathkill
 player, 64 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Wed 7 Dec 2016
at 06:07
Re: Day 2
"It would be a better show for the township to take them back for proper justice," Asano replies, dragging his unconscious bandit around the brush, trying to get out of the baleful sight of the angry bear.
Morg Danforge
 player, 65 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w0/1)
Wed 7 Dec 2016
at 10:44
Re: Day 2
Morg smiles at Bram, says "Aye" to Jak's suggestion, and puts down his javelin. He starts hogtying the unconscious suspected bandit, before disarming him of any weapons and taking him to the wooden cage on the wagon.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:52, Wed 07 Dec 2016.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 72 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 7 Dec 2016
at 17:20
Re: Day 2
Jak had no intention of going after the bear, and was in fact almost as startled as the bear when Morg let out a roar. "GAH!" He glared at the dwarf and shook his fist but a moment later he was chuckling. The word treasure from Bram brought his head around and he headed over to look and see what had been found.
DM
 GM, 205 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 7 Dec 2016
at 21:16
Re: Day 2
The bear lopes off away from the group and the road, still glancing back on occasion.

Bram searches through the bandit's stash of stolen goods and finds quite a collection of weapons, coins, and other items strewn about the cave floor.


We're officially out of initiative, so here's the spoils:

XP: I'm going to award XP as a group, then divide by 4 and give each of you that number. So I'm scaling it up a bit from what you'd normally get as a 6 person party. I'll add this to the Loot thread so you won't have to track this all individually (you're welcome to track it individually as well).

4 bandits: 100 XP
1 bear (scared off): 100 XP
DM award, neutralizing a bandit group: 200 XP
Total XP: 400
XP per person: 100

Loot in the cave: I'll also add this to the Loot thread and you all can decide what to do with it. If you keep any of it we can divide it up & update the Inventory threads at a long rest:
99 cp
74 sp
13 gp

Merchant's scale
Rug
10' silken rope
Tent, 2 person
Broken lock
Sledge hammer
10' chain
Battleaxe
Greataxe
40 crossbow bolts
Morningstar
Javelin
Quarterstaff
Mace
Sickle
Club
Greatclub
Whip


This message was last edited by the GM at 12:51, Thu 08 Dec 2016.

Morg Danforge
 player, 66 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w0/1)
Wed 7 Dec 2016
at 23:13
Re: Day 2
Morg helps Asano carry the other unconscious bandit to the wagon cage, and hogties him with the other half of his rope after weaving it thru some of the slats.

He then removes the bolt from his arm, and after helping to thoroughly search both unconscious bandits, adds it to the ammunition, weapons, and other possessions from them, to the pile at the cave.

Picking up the silk rope there, he goes to try and tie up and close the cage where the bear broke thru.

What do the 2 unconscious bandits have on them, in addition to B4's spear, their crossbows, cases, and bolts?
Asano Breathkill
 player, 65 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Wed 7 Dec 2016
at 23:47
Re: Day 2
Asano watched as Morg divested the captured bandits of any weapons and sundry. As much as he hated to admit it, these bandits seemed to have nothing to do with his purpose here. He sighs in exasperation.
"Anything linking them to a larger group, Morg?" he asks, eying the discarded equipment for any sign of an affiliation. Hells, even the mark borne by the masked men the prior evening would be fine.
DM
 GM, 208 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 8 Dec 2016
at 00:54
Re: Day 2
Morg and Asano examine the fallen bandits.

The bandits wear poor quality leather armor, and bear only rusty scimitars and barely-functional light crossbows. The insignias on the masked men in the quarry the other night are entirely absent from the unconscious men's persons.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 67 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 8 Dec 2016
at 21:17
Re: Day 2
"I suggest we load everything into the cart , assuming it's still usable," Asano says as the others tally the bandit stash. "I imagine some of these goods may be claimed by merchants in Red Larch, maybe even with a reward of some kind. Otherwise, we can just sell the majority of it off and split the profits. After that, well, we had a fair list of other injustices in the area that we can look in to." He looks around the group, trying to gauge everyone's opinion of his plan.
Mayon Graycross
 player, 105 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Thu 8 Dec 2016
at 21:21
Re: Day 2
"That sounds good. Let the guardsmen take care of the bandits, see what we can do with the supplies." Mayon agrees. He could use a rest. Fights like that one weren't something he was accustomed to, and he feels drained. His chest still aches from where the crossbow bolt pierced him, though there is no longer a wound. Healing magic was truly fascinating.

"Do we do something with the corpses, or leave them for the wildlife? I'm sure that bear would appreciate the meal should it come back this way for some reason." He adds wryly, though the joke is morbid.
Morg Danforge
 player, 68 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w0/1)
Thu 8 Dec 2016
at 21:38
Re: Day 2
Morg looks at the two corpses. "Asano, if you want to interrogate the living bandits about a larger group, and they're not co-operating, I could try and intimidate them into talking by doing the ol' "kill" the dead bodies for show."


This message was last edited by the player at 21:40, Thu 08 Dec 2016.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 74 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 8 Dec 2016
at 22:48
Re: Day 2
Jak frowned in thought for a moment. He grimaced slightly at the piss-poor light crossbows the bandits were using. He wasn't sure he wanted to rely on one himself. It would be a damn shame to have it give out on him or backfire in the middle of a fight.

He gave a shrug and dusted off his hands. "Maybe we should load up all the bodies along with the loot, make a good showing of just what we dealt with so that overly-suspicious and annoying lawman doesn't suspect we're the real bandits and bushwhacked and dressed up a couple of travelers to get some kind of reward."

He spat on the ground and it was clear the sheriff had left a sour taste in his mouth.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 68 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 8 Dec 2016
at 23:22
Re: Day 2
"Thank you, Morg, for the offer," Asano smiles, "I think it may be best to leave the bodies unmolested for now, though. Jakrynn does have a good point, bringing the dead bandits along would probably be the best show for the sheriff. A show that may be slightly undermined if the corpses are mutilated beyond recognition. The survivors will talk, or they won't. Either way they'll probably find justice at Red Larch." He talks while helping load the stash into the wagon, though his path clearly takes him nearer the unconscious prisoners than is absolutely needed. He watches them carefully for any sign that either of them are waking.
DM
 GM, 211 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 9 Dec 2016
at 14:45
Re: Day 2
It takes some time sort through the various items in the cave, assess their worth, and load them onto the cart.

After about an hour, one of the bound bandits begins to stir where he is tied to the wagon. He kicks at the various goods and weapons surrounding him and blinks, then gives the group a good long stare.

"Bloody thieves - yer no good! Taking what we rightfully stole. I hope you all burn."



If you like this can constitute an hour's long short rest - feel free to use hit dice and/or other benefits that can happen during a short rest.

You estimate the full value of all the goods here at around 100 gold, though from previous experience you know you'll probably only receive about half that value in trade. If you're curious about the value of any individual item you can probably find it in the PHB, or just ask.



Asano Breathkill
 player, 70 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Fri 9 Dec 2016
at 16:05
Re: Day 2
Asano listens to the bandit's affronted outburst, smiling. "First of of all," He says, smile still gracing his lips, "This isn't the Gilder frontier. Second of all, we're returning most of these goods to the people you probably stole them from. Third, and most importantly," He kneels down to eye-level with the bandit, but outside his reach, "Who are you working for? Tell me truth and I will fight for leniency in your sentence. Lie, and we'll leave you for the bear."

Despite his earlier proclamations of turning them all over to the sheriff, the hardened nature of Asano's green eyes leave little doubt in anyone's minds that he will follow through with his words.

OOC:
Persuasion- 22

This message was last edited by the player at 20:17, Fri 09 Dec 2016.

Morg Danforge
 player, 71 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Fri 9 Dec 2016
at 18:08
Re: Day 2
Morg tends to his injured arm and foot while listening to Asano interrogate the bandit.
During short rest recover HP from HD+CON mod, and recover second wind ability.

20:04, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 12 using 1d10+2 with rolls of 10.  Recover HP from HD.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 70 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Fri 9 Dec 2016
at 20:21
Re: Day 2
Bram was relieved when the bear stormed off, but did not show much interest in the weaponry and miscellany stowed in the cave.  He jotted down a few quick notes on the encounter in his travel journal, then assisted in hauling the stolen goods into the cart, and then the dead and unconscious bandits.  On the road back to Red Larch he mused, "We've done a good thing, getting those villains off the road.  Perhaps the Constable will give us more breathing room once he hears of it."  He peered up at the sun, which was still high in the sky at this point and suggested, "The day will still be young once we've returned.  What say we pay a visit to that old tomb once we've unburdened ourselves of these scoundrels?  Whether it be haunted by spirits or mere goblins, I'd be interested to find out."

OOC: I'm at 8/11 HP, so I won't spend a HD just yet.  Here's hoping I don't suffer another crit today!
DM
 GM, 213 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 9 Dec 2016
at 21:19
Re: Day 2
The bandit's face grows flushed, then redder and redder as Asano speaks. Finally, he barks a mirthless laugh.

"You can't threaten someone who's already lost everything he's got," the man grates through clenched teeth. "I ain't tellin' you nothing." Belying his own words, he immediately continues. "We don't work for no one, we lost everything and we got nothin' left to lose. We're just out here tryin' t'mind our own business as good honest bandits."

"Go ahead and leave us for the bear," he scoffs, "it's better than what's comin' anyway. It's comin' for you too, you know."
Mayon Graycross
 player, 107 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Fri 9 Dec 2016
at 21:27
Re: Day 2
"An honest bandit is an oxymoron if I've ever heard one." Mayon comments as he walks over to stand beside Asano, watching the men intensely as they speak. The last part catches his attention.

"Something is coming? Well, perhaps it would be in your best interest to tell us exactly what. Perhaps we'll be a bit more lenient if you cooperate. It would be unwise to cross us in your position, after all. And as you've said, you have nothing to lose." He absently touches his fingers to his dagger as he speaks.

Since this could apply to either:
14:25, Today: Mayon Graycross rolled 13 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 10.  Persuasion.
14:26, Today: Mayon Graycross rolled 13 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 8.  Intimidation.
Wow. Lucky Number 13.
I think I'm at 5/9 HP, so I won't use a hit die just yet. I will mention that I recover my spell slots after the short rest, though. Whoo, one perk to that limited spellcasting!

DM
 GM, 215 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 9 Dec 2016
at 22:49
Re: Day 2
"You're an oxymoron," the bandit hisses at Mayon.

"If you can't tell what's comin' I ain't gonna tell you. Wild dogs couldn't drag it outta me."

After a brief pause, the bandit again continues. "It's the end of the world," he intones, in mock solemnity. "The weather's changing. I hear tell of the dead risin' from the grave. All manner of unnatural stuff going on. It's those cults up in the Sumber Hills, mark me, they're bringin' on the Armageddon, and we're all be dead as doornails when it comes."

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:53, Fri 09 Dec 2016.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 71 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Fri 9 Dec 2016
at 23:02
Re: Day 2
"Nothing left to lose?" Asano raises his eyebrows, reaching to remove the man's boot. "I see fingers, toes, eyes. You may not see much of a life ahead of you, but if you don't tell me what I want to know, I see your last few hours being very painful." He looks the bandit in the eyes, his gaze emotionless and cruel. "On the other hand, maybe we only found three bandits here today? Now, tell me what I want to know, or we'll start small. I only have two questions: what do you know of a man named Bastian Thermander and have you ever seen this symbol?" He makes a glowing mark in the dirt, then looks back at the conscious bandit, brow raised expectantly.

OOC:
Prestidigitation to create the following mark on the ground for a few minutes:
https://drive.google.com/file/...QVJkdG1PTFR5ZkU/view

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 71 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Fri 9 Dec 2016
at 23:31
Re: Day 2
Asano's interrogation methods were making Bram increasingly uneasy, but he seemed to be getting results.  He cocked an eyebrow at the bandit's apocalyptic fears, suddenly very interested.  He asked, "Cults in the Sumber Hills... plural?  What sort of cults?  Is there a group called the Circle of the Scarlet Moon among them, do you know?"  The half-elf flashed a glance at Asano and the symbol he'd conjured.  He wasn't really going to cut off this man's digits, was he?
Mayon Graycross
 player, 110 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sat 10 Dec 2016
at 02:39
Re: Day 2
Mayon cocks his head at the man's stubbornness, then shrugs. He doesn't generally like to use this little power of his, but now it feels useful. Wordlessly, he calls upon his patron's unearthly power, the very air seeming to shimmer with the presence of the Archfey's power.

"Perhaps you'll change your mind. While we're discussing names and cults, have you heard the name Marlos Urnrayle? Any information would be most useful to me, and may benefit you as well. For one thing, I may forgive the fact that one of you bastards shot me." He smiles, though it doesn't reach his eyes.

Welp, might as well do it now that I've mentioned it:
Fey Presence--Charm effect. All creatures within a 10-foot cube around Mayon must make a DC 13 Wisdom saving throw against being Charmed. If that affects Asano and Bram...welp. Sorry. :P
19:38, Today: Mayon Graycross rolled 15 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 12.  Persuasion.
19:38, Today: Mayon Graycross rolled 11 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 8.  Persuasion (if with advantage, I believe if Charm succeeds)
First roll was better regardless of if it works or not.
Also, ability recovers after either a short or long rest. Going to assume that since I'm technically using it during a short rest, it won't apply until the next one.
EDIT: DC Save is actually 13. My bad!

This message was last edited by the player at 03:25, Sat 10 Dec 2016.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 76 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Sat 10 Dec 2016
at 03:23
Re: Day 2
Bram glances toward Mayon and recognizes the pull of some sort of enchantment woven into his words, but manages to avoid being taken in by it.


Succeeded the save thanks to fey ancestry:
  • 19:17, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 16 using 1d20+2.  Wisdom save advantage vs. charm.
  • 19:15, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 4 using 1d20+2.  Wisdom save.

DM
 GM, 217 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 10 Dec 2016
at 03:38
Re: Day 2
The bandit blanches visibly at mention of Bastian Thermander's name. "I don't know nothin' about that madman," the man shudders. "He used to run with some bandits in the area I used to know, but a few months back he joined up with those cultists in the Hills." He shudders. "Brought a few of his old gang with him, but I wouldn't join up with that crazy genasi. Seems like he's come up in the world. Lots more followers than just bandits, and... and I hear they've been messing with what they ought not to be. Evil magicks and the like."

He looks wide-eyed at the symbol Asano conjures in the dirt and shakes his head vigorously. "No, no, I never seen that symbol before! I don't know nothin' about no symbols! The only one I saw looked like some kind of half-circle, with some lines comin' out of it."

He shakes his head at Bram. "I never heard of no Circlet of the Scarred Moon. But there's for sure more than one weird group up in the Hills. Dunno if they're all cultists or not, but not folk I'm like to tangle with."

Raising an eyebrow at Mayon, he turns his head and spits. "I ain't telling you nothin'. I ain't never heard of no 'Marlon Urnface', sounds like some sorta artist-to-cratic name to me. I don't run in with those folk much."


By some miracle, the bandit managed to make his Wis save ;)

Asano Breathkill
 player, 74 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sat 10 Dec 2016
at 05:24
Re: Day 2
"I need a name or a location, friend," Asano says, his attention drifting toward Mayon as the warlock's power washed over him. He shakes his head to sharpen his thoughts, focusing back on the bandit. "I need something concrete, if you want to get out of here with enough supplies to get you to the Coast. I have a feeling this area is going to become very...inhospitable for you."

OOC:
Failed my save against Mayon's effect. lol

Morg Danforge
 player, 73 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Sat 10 Dec 2016
at 15:45
Re: Day 2
At the mention of cults in the Sumber Hills, Morg quickly looks up from trying to fix the chain mail covering his pierced arm.

As he listens to the questioning, something seems strange with the way Mayon asks his question, but he can't put his finger on it.

After the questioning finishes, he asks "Can you wizards check if any of these things from the cave are magical?"
17:25, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 15 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 14.  WIS saving throw against Mayon's fey presence charm effect.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:49, Sat 10 Dec 2016.

DM
 GM, 218 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 10 Dec 2016
at 20:52
Re: Day 2
"I told you," the bandit growls, "I ain't tellin' you nothin'! And besides, I don't even know or want to know where Bastian is or what that lunatic is doing. He's part of some 'Cult of the Eternal Flame' or some such nonsense if the rumors are true, and I'm steering clear of them as long as I can. They'll do worse to me than you ever could, I'll warrant."

He narrows his eyes at Asano. "So cut off my fingers or my head, whatever you like, but be quick about it. You should have finished us off the first time!"
Mayon Graycross
 player, 114 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sat 10 Dec 2016
at 21:05
Re: Day 2
Mayon studies the man for another long moment, then simply shrugs as the faint presence fades just as quickly. "Well, I can't say I'm surprised. From what little I know of him, you'd be in pieces if you did know much." Then again, those other names would be useful.

14:02, Today: Mayon Graycross rolled 10 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 8.  Insight bandit.
Checking to see if he's holding anything back, or if he honestly doesn't know more.
Good lord, that's like the 4th natural 8 in two days. Apparently I have a lucky number and it isn't as high as I'd like.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:22, Sat 10 Dec 2016.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 75 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sun 11 Dec 2016
at 01:17
Re: Day 2
"Well, damn," Asano blows a breath between his lips. "Unfortunately, I believe you, and a deal's a deal." He reaches into the wagon and fishes an emptier sack, dumping what little equipment may be in the save to the bed of the wagon. He leaves a day's rations and two gold pieces inside it, then drops the sack just inside the cave entrance with one of his own daggers.
"That should be enough to get you out of this area," he growls, crouching in front of the bandit again. "I highly suggest you heed my advice. If we cross paths again, and you are still plying this unwholesome trade, I will end you." He lloks around the party, and asks, "Can someone detach him from the wagon? We have a criminal to turn in to the law. Leave himbound, though. By the time he gets to that knife we should be well away."


OOC:
Sorry if I'm taking some liberties here. I figured the bandits at least had some kind of container for their ill gotten goods.

DM
 GM, 219 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 11 Dec 2016
at 15:22
Re: Day 2
The bandit raises his eyebrows at Asano's words, but says nothing.

What's next? I think I saw Bram mentioned going to the tomb next - if so, do you want to stop in town to dump cart/remaining unconscious bandit first, or go straight to the tomb?


This message was last edited by the GM at 17:03, Sun 11 Dec 2016.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 115 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sun 11 Dec 2016
at 18:51
Re: Day 2
Mayon also glances at Asano, then shrugs. "I don't feel we'll be getting anymore from them, so if you think its the best choice then I won't argue."

Gonna throw my vote out for Tomb now.
EDIT: 12:44, Today: Mayon Graycross rolled 4 using 1d8 with rolls of 4.  Expend 1HD
Sweet, exactly what I needed! Back to 9/9 HP

This message was last edited by the player at 19:45, Sun 11 Dec 2016.

Morg Danforge
 player, 74 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Mon 12 Dec 2016
at 02:56
Re: Day 2
"Wait, you're giving a weapon and money to a bandit, and letting him go?" Morg says, scratching his beard.

"I'm not cutting my rope in half to leave him here tied up, so if this is happening, someone else needs to tie him up with some other rope."

I'd prefer town before tomb, so the currently unconscious bandit doesn't make a ruckus or escape while at the tomb.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 76 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Mon 12 Dec 2016
at 05:08
Re: Day 2
Asano pulls the short length of silk rope from the wagon, and looks at the conscious bandit. "Don't make this harder than it has to be," he asks, looping the rope around the bandit's wrists and loosing Morg's rope.

OOC:
Provided he doesn't fight back, Asano ties him up. Hopefully with some help.

DM
 GM, 222 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 12 Dec 2016
at 17:06
Re: Day 2
The bandit grumbles but doesn't resist being tied up.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 76 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 12 Dec 2016
at 18:31
Re: Day 2
Jak had stayed back and let the others do the 'talking' with the bandit. It smacked far too close to home with how things were done back at the orphanage for him. He grit his teeth and looked off in to the distance with his back to the group while threats of bodily harm were mentioned. After they finished he relaxed a bit. At least they hadn't started to actually torture the man. He still wasn't sure about some of the new people in the group and their 'methods'.

He sat and waited for them to finish up with the bandit. "So, town or tomb?" His voice was flat.
Bramwell Caulder
 player, 77 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Mon 12 Dec 2016
at 21:19
Re: Day 2
Bram listened intently to the captured scoundrel's report about this bandit captain turned cultist, and to the information revealed by his comrades.  A deep scowl knotted his brow when Asano offered to release the prisoner.  He commented, "This sits ill with me, but I'll not countermand an agreement."  To the prisoner he said simply, "Life rarely affords a man a second chance.  You'd be wise to make something better of yourself."  He then walked away from the prisoner and rejoined the group preparing to depart.

In answer to Jak's question he said, "We must pass through Red Larch on our way to the tomb, so we'd best report to the Constable first whatever the case."
DM
 GM, 227 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 13 Dec 2016
at 00:29
Re: Day 2
Hauling a cart full of goods and one unconscious bandit, the party rejoins the Cairn Road and heads back to Red Larch. A cool breeze wafts through the leafless autumn trees. There are few other travelers about, and the wind feels pleasant after the heat of yesterday. While the wagon isn't particularly heavy it's not well-suited to travel without mounts, and it takes the better part of the morning and some of the afternoon to arrive back at Red Larch.

Back at town, the group realizes they don't quite know where to find the constable. A quick word with a passing local, however, indicates that Harburk can usually be found at the butcher shop, and the directions there are short and straightforward.

The group makes their way up the main road of town and finds a row of single-story stone buildings. The front building bears a painted sign of a ham being carved by a cleaver, accompanied by no words.

Upon entering, a sturdy woman with large biceps greets the group. "Hello strangers," she says amiably, setting her cleaver on the counter. "I'm Jalessa Ornra, proprietor. What can I do you for?"

Behind her, constable Harburk and another butcher are garbed in blood-splattered white aprons identical to Jalessa's. They look up from their large slabs of meat and both nod in greeting. "Might be they're here to discuss matters with me, Jalessa," Harburk grunts, burying his own cleaver in a thick part of his meat slab. "Didja find some bandits?"



Red Larch locations updated.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 79 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Tue 13 Dec 2016
at 23:48
Re: Day 2
By the time Red Larch showed in the distance Bram was relieved to see it.  He'd spent a good part of the journey doing mule's work towing the unwieldy cart, and his aching shoulders would be glad to be done with it.  The tall half-elf set down the cart heavily, and armed the sweat from his brow before stepping into the butcher's.  He looked to Harburk with some curiosity before greeting him.  "Good afternoon to you, Constable.  I'd expected to meet you here as a customer rather than as a butcher.  You are indeed a man of the people."  Bramwell gestured toward the door and reported, "We've resolved the bandit problem on the Cairn road and have recovered their ill-gotten gains.  They had a caged black bear, which we drove off into the woods."
Asano Breathkill
 player, 79 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Wed 14 Dec 2016
at 00:16
Re: Day 2
Asano is mostly happy to allow Bramwell to interact with the constable, and begins looking around the butcher shop. He finds some fine cured sausages, and appears to be be contemplating their purchase.
Harburk Tuthmarillar
 NPC, 7 posts
 Constable
Wed 14 Dec 2016
at 01:13
Re: Day 2
A slow smile creeps across Harburk's face, mixed with a slight expression of surprise. "I didn't expect you to work so quickly," he murmured. "I suppose I owe you an update of my own."

"My trusties reported no additional activity at the quarry last night," he said, glancing at his fellow butcher. "But I was able to at least negotiate with Albaeri to keep an eye on the place for the next few nights. Since you've proven so helpful I might manage to sneak you in for some late-night duty. Perhaps in a few days though, when Mellikho isn't being quite so watchful." He winked.

"If you've collected some of the bandits' spoils you're welcome to them. I doubt anyone will be in Red Larch looking for stolen goods, and we've got little chance of returning them to their rightful owners. Think of it as a well-deserved reward."

He mentions Bethendur's Storage as an option for long-term storage of larger items, or Vallivoe's Sundries as a shop that might take some unwanted items off their hands. Harburk himself is more than happy to take the unconscious bandit for further questioning.


Red Larch locations updated.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:54, Wed 14 Dec 2016.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 119 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Wed 14 Dec 2016
at 02:29
Re: Day 2
"That's good to hear, sir. Thank you." Mayon says with a smile. A few days, they could wait that long at least. It would give them time to explore that tomb, perhaps even make the trek to Lance Rock if they had the time.
Morg Danforge
 player, 77 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Wed 14 Dec 2016
at 13:10
Re: Day 2
Morg helps Harburk untie and lift the unconscious bandit off the wagon. "Constable, in addition to the bear, we also let one of the bandits go."
Harburk Tuthmarillar
 NPC, 8 posts
 Constable
Wed 14 Dec 2016
at 14:12
Re: Day 2
Harburk accompanies Morg outside to offload the bandit, who finally shows signs of waking.

At Morg's admission the constable looks confused. "Why would you do a thing like that for?"
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 77 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 14 Dec 2016
at 19:09
Re: Day 2
Jak still wasn't sure about the constable, but it seemed like he might be okay - he'd reserve further judgment until later on and for now act neutrally towards him rather than coldly. Hearing about the steps taken with the quarry made his eyebrows go up a bit. He wasn't sure it would accomplish anything but at least they were being taken seriously maybe. That was good.

"Time an' bandits wait for no man."

The fact that they get to keep the 'spoils' perked up Jak a bit but then he immediately frowned as Morg spoke up about the bandit.
Mayon Graycross
 player, 121 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Wed 14 Dec 2016
at 20:01
Re: Day 2
Mayon is a bit startled by Morg revealing the fact, but the constable's reaction doesn't seem too aggressive. He offers his own thoughts.

"We had a few questions for him, and he provided answers as best as he was able. In exchange, we offered him a chance to choose a less unsavory path. I don't believe that he'll be able to cause much trouble on his own, and he would be more than foolish to try. Particularly around here."
Harburk Tuthmarillar
 NPC, 9 posts
 Constable
Wed 14 Dec 2016
at 20:27
Re: Day 2
Harburk grins mirthlessly. "I guess that's what I get for deputizing adventurers. It wasn't what I would have done, but I understand why you did it. What kind of information did you find out?"
Asano Breathkill
 player, 81 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Wed 14 Dec 2016
at 20:31
Re: Day 2
Asano continues browsing the shop's preserved meats, keeping an ear on the conversation to provide additional information, if needed.
Bramwell Caulder
 player, 81 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Wed 14 Dec 2016
at 20:39
Re: Day 2
Bram smiled and shook his head at Morg's inopportune admission.  The dwarf was honest to a fault, but he supposed it was better that the Constable know all that had happened.  He opted not to discuss the release of the bandit further and instead answered Tuthmarillar's question, "He told us that a bandit captain named Bastian Thermander has joined up with a 'Cult of the Eternal Flame,' which are experimenting with fell magics in the Sumber Hills.  The cult is apparently being led by a genasi, and has many more followers aside from the bandits."

As he finished the half-elf peered out the window of the butcher's shop at the lowering sun.  Turning back he said, "I believe we've other business to attend to before the day is out, so unless you have anything else for us I believe we'll bid you a good afternoon for now, Constable."
Harburk Tuthmarillar
 NPC, 10 posts
 Constable
Wed 14 Dec 2016
at 21:01
Re: Day 2
Harburk asks the other butcher to haul the half conscious bandit to one of the outbuildings. He raises an eyebrow at Bram's news. "I've heard the name Thermander before, but not in connection with a cult, much less one with a name," he says thoughtfully. "Interesting. It could even be true. I've heard tell of plenty of evil and secretive groups in the Sumber Hills."

At that moment Jalessa calls the constable back inside to his cleaver, and he bids the group farewell.


There's just the matter of where to put the wagon - sell the stuff now? Store it at Bethendur's (#20)?

Prices at Bethendur's for storage space:
- 1 gp/10 days
- 2 gp/30 days (month)
- 20 gp/year



This message was last edited by the player at 21:19, Wed 14 Dec 2016.

DM
 GM, 233 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 00:46
Re: Day 2
The group drops off their wagon of recovered goods at Bethendur's storage area, where a non-descript man takes 2 gold from Asano and leads the wagon away to an empty shed.

It's a short distance from town to the tomb according to the poultry woman's directions, and the group makes their way to the edge of the Sumber Hills in a little over an hour. Lit by the mid-afternoon sun, the terrain turns from grassy farmland near Red Larch to rocky hills and outcrops. Boulder jumbles pierce the earth in numerous places all around.

Climbing over another rise, a dark, rectangular hole comes into view amid the grass and vines of a nearby hillside. From this distance a stone door is just visible inside the gaping tunnel opening, though it's difficult to see through the scrub brush and scraggly trees clustered nearby. The door seems to be ajar.


Maps thread updated - Haunted Tomb link now available.


Asano Breathkill
 player, 84 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 04:18
Re: Day 2
Asano looks around the are, trying spot any ambush areas before the group walks into them. Hopefully this engagement would run a little easier than the last one. "Then again," he mutters under his breath, "Any one you walk away from."

OOC:
Perception- 11
Just waiting for the meat shi....tanks, I totally meant tanks, to get up front and through the door. Asano will follow along behind them.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:51, Thu 15 Dec 2016.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 123 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 14:32
Re: Day 2
Mayon stays where he is, peering up towards the doorway warily. He certainly hopes they aren't walking into some ambush set for unwary travelers.

07:31, Today: Secret Roll: Mayon Graycross rolled 14 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 10.  Perception.
Mayon's also gonna stay back a bit until our armored fellows can step forward :P

DM
 GM, 234 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 16:53
Re: Day 2
Asano and the others see that a dark, rectangular hole gapes amid the grass and vines of the nearby hillside. The stone door is in fact ajar, and a dim tunnel extends behind it into darkness. The door bears chiseled marks that might once have been a name.

The surrounding countryside seems quiet and still, though the numerous boulders in the area block sight in more than one direction. Some of the boulder jumble areas are quite large.


Asano thinks the boulder areas aren't completely impassable, and in game terms would be treated as difficult terrain (speed is halved).

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 82 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 16:57
Re: Day 2
Looking at the open tomb from afar, Bram deduced aloud, "Hm.  The tomb is open.  Such negligence of a place of interment is certainly not customary in this region.  Something is amiss here, whether it be specters or something more mundane.  Let's investigate, shall we?"  He strapped his Deneir-emblazoned shield to his arm and approached the open tomb, bearded axe held loosely at his side as he peered about for anything suspicious.


Moving all the way up to the tomb door unless something pops out at me.  If anyone else wants to come Bram will wait for them to come along, as opposed to running up on his lonesome :)  I'm presuming Morg will come along at least.

08:56, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 17 using 1d20.  Perception.

DM
 GM, 235 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 17:30
Re: Day 2
Bram sees nothing out of the ordinary before reaching the door. Peering inside he can only see the first few feet of a passage leading straight into the hill. The door isn't open very much, and it's hard to see in very far.


Updated the Haunted Tomb map - note the door opens inward; that was marked incorrectly on the map before this latest update.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 83 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 23:08
Re: Day 2
Seeing that nothing seemed to be amiss thus far, Bram turned and gestured the others forward.  "It's dark in there.  If anyone has a torch to hand, now would be the time to light it."  Once everyone is ready and in position, he'll attempt to push the tomb door open, putting his shoulder into it if it appears to be stuck.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 85 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 23:34
Re: Day 2
Asano pulls his focusing wand out and centers his energy as Bram pushes the door open a little further. He peeks inside, but tries to not give away the party this time.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 80 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Fri 16 Dec 2016
at 04:14
Re: Day 2
Jak heard what Bram said and gave a shrug. He pulled out his hooded lantern and lit it. He held it in his off hand, the left hand, as they moved forward. He held a dagger in his other hand, just in case, though he much preferred to stay out of melee range. He walked just behind Bram to make sure the light could illuminate the way, and he could maybe help spot danger.
Mayon Graycross
 player, 125 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Fri 16 Dec 2016
at 17:07
Re: Day 2
Mayon follows as well, his hands gloved with his focus as usual, his eyes constantly peering around and his ears perked for any noise.

10:07, Today: Secret Roll: Mayon Graycross rolled 17 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 13.  Perception.
CONSTANT VIGILANCE.

Morg Danforge
 player, 79 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Fri 16 Dec 2016
at 21:24
Re: Day 2
Morg looks above and to the sides inside the door to see if there are any traps.

23:20, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 10 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 7.  Perception check for traps at tomb door.
DM
 GM, 236 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 16 Dec 2016
at 22:52
Re: Day 2
Morg and the others can see very little from their vantage point outside the tunnel, and it's impossible to squeeze through the narrow opening enough to see anything else without opening the door further. Bram slowly pushes the door inward.

A loud crash of screeching metal is immediately heard, as something behind the door collapses at the door's movement. What looks like a rusted circular piece of metal rolls into view and stops in the center of the tunnel leading inward. The sound reverberates off the nearby hills for a few seconds, but otherwise nothing else happens.

Peering into the tunnel, it's clear the tunnel is a passage about ten feet high that leads at least thirty feet straight into the hill into darkness. Those with darkvision can make out where the tunnel widens into a larger room; Jak's lantern illuminates the room for him as well. There is a large stone block table at the far end of the chamber, but otherwise the room appears empty from the group's current position.


Haunted Tomb map updated.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:53, Fri 16 Dec 2016.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 87 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Fri 16 Dec 2016
at 23:27
Re: Day 2
Bramwell jumped back with a cry of surprise at the unexpected metallic clattering.  He looked anxiously back at the further opened threshold but managed to gather himself after a few long breaths.  He muttered, "That clamor was no accident.  The opening was sized for small creatures to slip through, but anyone larger topples this mess and makes a racket.  I reckon we've just alerted the goblins within."  He returned to the door and peered in at the chamber below the hill, focusing his will upon sensing whatever divine energies may be emanating from within.

OOC:  Trying a Divine Sense to detect good or evil presences within 60 feet of the entrance.

Raising up his shield and axe Bram said to the group, "If we're going in, we'd best not delay.  With any luck the little devils are still scrambling out of their bedrolls."  Whenever the group is ready, the paladin will lead the way from behind his shield.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:28, Fri 16 Dec 2016.

DM
 GM, 237 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 16 Dec 2016
at 23:54
Re: Day 2
Bram detects no good or evil presences, and indeed hears no other unusual noises in the wake of the clattering metal.


Good use of Divine Sense of course, but also note the description of that ability says "...you know the location of any celestial, fiend, or undead within 60' of you that is not behind total cover". This wouldn't detect any goblins, or celestial/fiend/undead outside of your field of view. You can use it 4 times a day though, so why not? =)

Morg Danforge
 player, 80 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Sat 17 Dec 2016
at 09:07
Re: Day 2
"Ghosts, man..." Morg says quietly to himself while walking down the tunnel, raising his javelin.

Move: 25' from AL13 to AQ13.

Action: ready javelin knock-out attack, on anything definitely hostile.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 86 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sat 17 Dec 2016
at 13:35
Re: Day 2
Asano moves in behind Bram and Morg, though maintaining a moderate distance between himself and the leading force. His focus is ready, the crystal nearly humming with power.

OOC:
Staying about 10' behind the leading edge.

DM
 GM, 238 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 17 Dec 2016
at 17:19
Re: Day 2
As the first of the party makes their way into the tunnel, the rest of the room slowly becomes visible.

The square room contains only a stone block table. Stains and marks atop this slab suggest rusted objects were once arrayed on it. In the middle of the wall to the right of the passage is a closed and severely rusted iron door.
Morg Danforge
 player, 81 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Sat 17 Dec 2016
at 19:01
Re: Day 2
Morg warily walks into the room and looks around, including at the roof.

Move: 10' from AQ13 to AS13.

Free action: look around.

If no-one else investigates the rusted circular piece of metal, then:
Move: 15' from AS13 to AP13.

Action: Investigate fallen piece of metal. I'll roll secretly for that after posting this (and won't edit this post.)

Mayon Graycross
 player, 126 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sat 17 Dec 2016
at 20:18
Re: Day 2
Mayon moves into the tomb to join the others cautiously, feeling deeply unnerved by the table in the center.


Not sure if we're using combat movement rules or not yet...if so:
Movement+action--60 feet, AK15 to AV14.
If not possible, then he'll just go 25 feet AK15 to AO14.
Investigation check on table, if he's close enough to do so:
13:16, Today: Secret Roll: Mayon Graycross rolled 9 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 5.  Investigating Table.

DM
 GM, 239 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 17 Dec 2016
at 22:21
Re: Day 2
Morg and the others entering the room see nothing else other than the rusted iron door & the stone slab table.

Going through the tunnel, the group sees many other pieces of metal strewn about the floor behind the open door. Morg heads back to investigate and sees they all appear to be worthless old metal wagon fittings.

Mayon heads towards the table and finds nothing of interest. The stains appear to be rust stains from metal objects that are no longer there.


Map updated. We're not in initiative, so feel free to move about as you like.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:22, Sat 17 Dec 2016.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 87 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sat 17 Dec 2016
at 22:30
Re: Day 2
Asano releases a breath he hadn't noticed was being held as Mayone waltzes into the entry chamber. Shaking his head, he moves into the room, as well, taking a place to the side of the entryway. He looks around the room, scanning for anything out of the ordinary.

OOC:
Move to AS15
Perception- 23 (Natural 20, baby! Woo!)
Accidentally hit the roll button twice in a row. Also, bossman, the numbers from the map have disappeared. Just a heads up.

Morg Danforge
 player, 82 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Sat 17 Dec 2016
at 23:16
Re: Day 2
Morg tries to see if there's anything above or behind the door, where the wagon fittings could have fallen from.

Action: Investigate behind and above door. I'll roll secretly for that after posting this (and won't edit this post.)
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 82 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sun 18 Dec 2016
at 00:44
Re: Day 2
Jak will move slowly, making sure to not be the very first person to step in to or on to anything. He holds the lantern up, though, high for everyone to use for lighting as they move along. He follows after Morg to check out the door to see if there is anything unusual, like traps, about it. Then he'll check to see if it's locked if he can visually - he doesn't want to start touching it until the group is ready for that.
DM
 GM, 240 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 18 Dec 2016
at 03:24
Re: Day 2
Asano sees and hears nothing out of the ordinary. All seems as quiet as - well, a tomb.

Jak sees nothing strange about the rusted door. It doesn't appear locked or trapped, but it does appear to be very rusty.




I think Jak may have misunderstood the door Morg was investigating - I think Morg was investigating the door into the hillside, while I think Jak wanted to look at the rusty door leading south from the square room. I've posted on that assumption, but in case I'm wrong: nobody sees any traps or unusual features around the door into the hillside either. There are markings on the outside of it, but they're too worn to make out any words or names.

Also, I updated the map & added back in the numbers. Thanks for the heads-up Asano & hopefully that looks better now =).


Morg Danforge
 player, 83 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Sun 18 Dec 2016
at 12:18
Re: Day 2
Morg walks around the table to look behind it, and then carefully pokes around with his javelin looking for secret doors on the walls and floor.


I'll roll a secret Perception check for that after posting this (and won't edit this post.)

If he doesn't find anything he'll climb onto the table and face the rusted door ala Gimli: http://vignette1.wikia.nocooki...st?cb=20121012095901

DM
 GM, 242 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 18 Dec 2016
at 17:11
Re: Day 2
Various small stones litter the floor of the room, but it is otherwise empty. The floor is somewhat damp in some places where water has collected from slow drips in the ceiling. Roots pierce the ceiling in a few places, but otherwise the room looks structurally sound and quite empty.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 84 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 20 Dec 2016
at 19:32
Re: Day 2
Jak will attempt to see if the door is unlocked or not, as it appears to be safe to him. Or as safe as something can be in the setting they were in. He will carefully ease the door open a tiny bit, crouching down on the floor to peek in if he can, ready to close it again if needs be quickly. Only if it seems okay will he move out of the way and open it fully.
DM
 GM, 244 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 20 Dec 2016
at 20:19
Re: Day 2
Just as Jak touches it, a ghostly figure suddenly emerges from the door. The apparition floats a full four feet off the tomb's floor, its helmeted head nearly brushing the ceiling. Its transparent form bears simple and equally transparent armor, and it brandishes a spectral longsword.

Its male human face looks sternly down at the intruders. "Tomb raiders are not welcome here," he says in a deep voice, which seems to echo from unseen depths. "You must leave immediately, before you disturb the eternal rest of those of higher birth. Go, and I shall not judge ill of you." He motions irritably with one insubstantial hand to Jak, attempting to shoo him away from the door.


Map updated.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:59, Tue 20 Dec 2016.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 88 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Wed 21 Dec 2016
at 00:29
Re: Day 2
"Sir," Asano bows, then approaches the apparition to a respectful distance. "We have heard disturbing rumors of activity from this tomb. Our intent is not to disturb the rest of the honored dead, but simply to ensure that none of less honorable leanings have interfered with those interred. May we pass in peace, so long as we do not disturb the rest of those below?"

OOC:
Persuasion- 21


DM
 GM, 245 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 21 Dec 2016
at 01:40
Re: Day 2
"You may pass in peace, intruder, back the way you came and out of the tomb." The ghost points a skeletal finger towards the exit.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 89 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Wed 21 Dec 2016
at 04:28
Re: Day 2
I can see that a stalwart defender such as yourself would not let anything by without a fight," Asano offers a gracious bow to the ghostly warden. "Has aught beside ourselves been in this entryway perhaps? Some creature had set a warning device above the outer door, and I worry that such a creature may return with power enough to force it's way into the chambers of the hallowed dead." Asano speaks graciously, smoothly, the honeyed tongue of a nobleman clearly hidden behind his smiling lips.
DM
 GM, 246 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 21 Dec 2016
at 16:26
Re: Day 2
"I do not concern myself with the identities of trespassing lowlifes," the ghost sneers. "Occasionally those like yourselves enter the tomb, and I drive them off. They are of no consequence."
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 85 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 21 Dec 2016
at 19:10
Re: Day 2
Jak toppled backwards with a muffled cry of surprise as the being came out THROUGH the door and almost into him. He quickly scrambled backwards from the door and the figure, eyes very wide. He swallowed as Asano broke the tension and ice by speaking to it. Finally, he shook his head. "An' none've made it past ya? Okay. Um. Thanks, I guess."

He picked himself up and brushed himself off before moving back to the corridor leading away from the door and ghost thing. "So. Time t'go?"
DM
 GM, 247 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 21 Dec 2016
at 21:20
Re: Day 2
The floating figure looks at Jak but says nothing.
Morg Danforge
 player, 84 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Thu 22 Dec 2016
at 09:15
Re: Day 2
Morg moves back a few feet from the ghost, and in a shaky voice says "Bram, do you know if this place is consecrated? Is this ghost good?"

Rolled a secret insight check on the ghost. (My secret rolls are just for timing reasons: in a face-to-face game others might ask if they can also do the check, before hearing if the DM said it was okay and before hearing what I rolled. In PBFs the timing can come off as trying the check after it's known the check failed.)

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:26, Fri 23 Dec 2016.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 88 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Fri 23 Dec 2016
at 07:38
Re: Day 2
Bram stood stunned for several moments after the appearance of the spirit, entirely fascinated by the sight of it.  He nodded to Morg, then approached the specter at a respectful distance.  He put a fist to his breast and addressed the guardian, "Noble spirit, I am here in my capacity as a Glyphscribe in the service of Deneir.  We do not come to disturb the dead, but to know who they were.  Tell me of the great persons here intered and I shall take their tale with me and ensure that it is remembered."  As he spoke he cast his senses toward the divine energies emanating from this being, in hopes of determining what exactly it was.


Doing another Divine Sense to see what that might tell me, and also an insight check:

01:23, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 13 using 1d20.  Insight.

DM
 GM, 248 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 23 Dec 2016
at 18:10
Re: Day 2
The ghostly form's expression lightens slightly. "I remember little of my master, Glyphscribe, only that he was of nobler birth than you and ruled in the kingdom of Rilithar. And that he was a fine warrior. In life I failed to protect him, yet in death I shield his rest from lessers who would pick his carcass clean."

His face hardens again as he brandishes his longsword. "Leave this place now or suffer my vengeance."


Third time's the charm! From using Divine Sense you know this is an undead creature. You don't sense any consecrations/desecrations.

Re: insight,  Bram thinks this specter is basically what he appears to be - a rather condescending spirit guarding the tomb from trespassers.

 

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 89 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Sat 24 Dec 2016
at 00:43
Re: Day 2
Bram bowed to the spirit guardian and backed away carefully.  To the others he said, "This is indeed a spirit charged with guarding this crypt, and I sense no evil intent in it.  He is just as he says, nothing more and nothing less.  We'd be well advised to leave it be and seal the entrance."
Mayon Graycross
 player, 128 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sat 24 Dec 2016
at 01:13
Re: Day 2
"Sounds like our safest bet here." Mayon agrees softly, having watched the exchange in silence. No goblins to be found, and the thought of angering the undead isn't exactly appealing. He turns to the ghost, dipping his head respectfully. "Apologies for disturbing you. I can see this tomb is well-guarded from goblins and thieves alike, and that you have no need of us. We will leave you be."
Morg Danforge
 player, 86 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Sat 24 Dec 2016
at 15:34
Re: Day 2
Morg climbs off the table, clearly relieved, and heads out.

"This is why I never understood the waste of time to make tombs - all that building and consecrating and guarding and upkeep... If I die I'd rather it just be: decapitation, a tree on the shallow grave, and a letter to my folks" he says to Jak in the corridor.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:38, Sat 24 Dec 2016.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 91 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sun 25 Dec 2016
at 04:54
Re: Day 2
"It's a matter honoring those who have led worthwhile lives and accomplished amazing deeds," Asano says, exiting the tomb. He helps pull the outer entry door closed as snugly as the party is able.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:29, Sun 25 Dec 2016.

Morg Danforge
 player, 87 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Sun 25 Dec 2016
at 10:45
Re: Day 2
"My people also spend an inordinate amount of resources and time honoring and showing respect to the dead - but what use is that when they're dead?"

"I'd rather have built houses, than fancy tombs for the rich. I'd rather have done something productive, than stand guard for their former vanity."

This message was last edited by the player at 13:14, Sun 25 Dec 2016.

DM
 GM, 249 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 25 Dec 2016
at 16:42
Re: Day 2
The dead soldier watches expressionless as the group retreats back down the tunnel to the outside.

As the group exits the tomb and starts sealing the entrance, an arrow suddenly embeds itself into the nearby hillside.

A deep, gravelly voice booms from behind the nearby boulders. "You're surrounded by army! Drop treasure and leave and we won't eat you."


Map updated - feel free to set your starting position around the door differently; I just moved everyone out of the tomb pretty much willy-nilly.

And Merry Christmas!

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:38, Sun 25 Dec 2016.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 130 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sun 25 Dec 2016
at 19:57
Re: Day 2
"Of course it couldn't be so simple." Mayon mutters to himself, looking around to try and catch sight of the attackers. He speaks up a bit for the others near him. "Probably the goblins that baker mentioned to Bram and I. What do we tell them?"


12:57, Today: Secret Roll: Mayon Graycross rolled 16 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 12.  Perception. Trying to look for the attackers/probably goblins.
Numbers disappeared again, boss. This map is picky apparently :P
Blech, can't say I'm a fan of the Christmas layout for the site. Festive, true, but it looks so strange.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 92 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sun 25 Dec 2016
at 22:58
Re: Day 2
Asano turns from the door, his focus whipping up from his belt into his hand. He scans the area surrounding the tomb, searching for anyone that may be hiding nearby.

OOC:
Perception- 20
My position looks fine, bossman.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 90 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Mon 26 Dec 2016
at 19:00
Re: Day 2
Bram was first out of the tomb, because even though he wished to study the guardian specter further he also understood that the subject would not have allowed it.  He was a few strides out from the threshold and gauging the time from the sun's position when the gravelly voice accosted them.  His brow furrowed at the interrogator's wording as he raised his shield to his arm.  He nodded in agreement with Mayon's guess that these were goblins, considered for a moment, then flashed his comrades a surreptitious wink.  He called out in feigned alarm and defeat, "Curses!  They've really got us, boys.  Very well, we'll drop all the treasure in a pile for you, if you'll come forward collect it."  He raised his free hand palm out in a gesture of peace, but kept ready to reach for the axe hung from his belt.  If this 'army' were smart they'd have asked for weapons first.


OOC:  Can't see any labels on the grid, but I'd like to be 3 squares left of where Mayon is currently.

12:56, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 18 using 1d20+3.  Deception.

DM
 GM, 250 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 26 Dec 2016
at 22:01
Re: Day 2
Mayon and Asano see what looks like a goblin with a bow hiding behind the tree nearby. Asano sees a larger hulking form amid the large boulders. It looks like an ogre of some kind, perhaps a half-ogre judging by its size.

There's a slight pause after Bram's reply. "Good," the reply comes back, this time in a higher pitched voice from behind the tree. "Drop the treasure where we can see it and move away slowly."



Sorry for the map issues, it's entirely user error. Should be fixed now.

Morg Danforge
 player, 88 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Mon 26 Dec 2016
at 22:16
Re: Day 2
Morg looks in the direction where he heard the voice, walks a few feet in it's direction, takes his tinderbox "treasure" and throws it a few feet ahead of him.

00:08, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 4 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 1.  Perception check looking for army behind nearby boulders.
DM
 GM, 252 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 26 Dec 2016
at 22:42
Re: Day 2
The goblin pokes his head around the side of the tree and peers at the tinderbox on the ground.

"Move back out of the way, I can't see it," the goblin screeches. "What is it anyway?"


Morg doesn't see any other figures in the nearby boulders.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 89 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 26 Dec 2016
at 22:48
Re: Day 2
Jak sighed and shook his head. First the tomb had a guardian and they backed away from that - which was fine and he was fine with! There was no need to disturb a tomb, probably, or whatever. But now a goblin and a half-ogre were shaking them down? That was just too much to take. Bram was hamming a bit and Morg joined in. Jak shrugged as he fished out a few copper pieces.

"Okay, okay, m'goin', m'goin'!"

He hurried out of the cave and dropped some shiny pieces of coin near the tinderbox as he moved to cover.

OOC: Dash and move to AD21, dropping 3 copper next to the tinderbox as he moves past.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 93 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Wed 28 Dec 2016
at 07:23
Re: Day 2
Asano quietly drops his backpack near the rest of the party's gear, and after a second thought drops his money pouch as noisily as possible, as well. He follows with the rest of the party as they move back, staying near the back, his wand staying down near his leg as much as possible.
Mayon Graycross
 player, 131 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Wed 28 Dec 2016
at 15:31
Re: Day 2
Mayon drops his own coin pouch and bag on the pile, stepping back with the group. He pulls on his gloves quietly, keeping the crystal focus concealed facing towards him to hide the faint glimmer.
DM
 GM, 253 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 29 Dec 2016
at 05:57
Re: Day 2
"Ok, now we're talking," the goblin screeches. "Keep moving back, out of sight, and count to a bazillion."
Bramwell Caulder
 player, 91 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Thu 29 Dec 2016
at 08:49
Re: Day 2
Bram plucks a couple of cloth-wrapped bundles from his pack and tosses them onto the pile with his free hand.  He'd momentarily spotted the goblin peeking out from behind the tree, but now made a show of searching his surroundings as he called out with partly feigned nervousness, "Where are you and the army?  You're so good at hiding that I don't know which way is away."  As he looked everywhere other than the goblin's hiding spot, he began making his way in its direction in halting steps.


OOC: Dropped 2 rations and am "retreating" diagonally up-left, to a distance of 4 squares if I can get away with it.
Morg Danforge
 player, 89 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Thu 29 Dec 2016
at 09:22
Re: Day 2
Morg follows Bram, walking mostly west away from the pile with his shield raised, trying to draw the attention of the voice away from the wizards behind him.

Move: towards ai11.

Action: ready javelin knock out attack, triggered by anything violent.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 132 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Thu 29 Dec 2016
at 15:32
Re: Day 2
Mayon begins walking as well, continuing to glance around as though unsure where their opponents are hiding.

Moving to AI16

This message was last edited by the player at 15:33, Thu 29 Dec 2016.

DM
 GM, 254 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 30 Dec 2016
at 18:21
Re: Day 2
"We're all around you, in the boulders and over the hills," the goblin screeches. "Just walk away from the tomb door and keep going. And don't look back."

The goblin moves slightly more towards the boulders as Morg and Bram approach their hiding spot. "Keep away from the boulders if you want to keep your guts inside your body," he calls.


Map updated, and expanded a bit.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 95 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Fri 30 Dec 2016
at 23:53
Re: Day 2
Asano feigns confusion, taking a step first one way then the other, always keeping an eye on the boulders from which the voice comes. His eyes dart to the party members that are moving to flank the goblin and his compatriot, waiting for someone to make a move.
Verthel Go'Van
 player, 57 posts
 Drow Elf
 Cleric of Auril
Sat 31 Dec 2016
at 09:16
Re: Day 2
Verthel stared at them quietly, his red eyes shining out from under his helm.

"You don't have to do this," he said. "The Lady of Winter shall not forgive you for trying to rob one of her servants."
DM
 GM, 255 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 1 Jan 2017
at 22:17
Re: Day 2
The goblin told Verthel pointedly where the Lady of Winter could go and what she could do there.

"Make sure you drop all the treasure from the tomb too, or there'll be Abyss to pay," he added.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 96 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sun 1 Jan 2017
at 22:32
Re: Day 2
"Yes, oh scary goblin thief," Asano sighs, taking a step just inside the tomb door, clearly wearying of the charade. "Let me go get that for you."


OOC:
Step to AM13.

DM
 GM, 256 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 2 Jan 2017
at 00:14
Re: Day 2
The goblin and half-ogre wait expectantly in their hiding places.


Assuming the next step is some aggressive moves, let's move into initiative:

Round 1 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Asano21 
Bram19 
Jak18 
Mayon18 
Verthel8 
Half-ogre8 
Goblin7 
Morg6 


This message was last edited by the GM at 00:15, Mon 02 Jan 2017.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 93 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Mon 2 Jan 2017
at 07:44
Re: Day 2
Now that he'd managed to bluff his way close enough to the would-be goblinoid bandits he figured there was no further need to beat around the bush.  The half-elf broke from his meandering into a full run toward the goblin, flipping his bearded axe into hand and putting the full charge behind a cleaving blow!


  • Equip Battleaxe
  • Move to square directly left of the Goblin (sorry for no coordinates, my phone cuts off the top bar)
  • Cleave the Goblin with Battleaxe, 24 vs. AC for 11 damage!

01:37, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 11 using 1d8+3.  Goblin chop!
01:36, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 24 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 19.  Battleaxe vs. Goblin.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 98 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Mon 2 Jan 2017
at 14:09
Re: Day 2
Asano waits for one of the front liners to move and engage the ambushers, then immediately steps out of the doorway and lashes out with a shockingly cold ray of frost targeting the half-ogre.

OOC:
Action: Ready for an ally to engage. Bram triggers ready action. Cast Ray of Frost.
Move: From AM14 to AL14.
Attack- 21
Damage- 7, and he loses 10 feet of movement for a turn.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 134 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Mon 2 Jan 2017
at 15:27
Re: Day 2
Mayon catches the movement of his companions and immediately lashes out his own spells, sending a quick, faint shadowy spell towards the half-ogre, then moving back a few feet to send a more direct burst of magic towards it.

Bonus Action: Hex on Ogre. Disadvantage on Constitution Checks, extra 1d6 Necrotic from MAyon's attacks
Movement: Moving from AI15 to AJ17
Action:
08:24, Today: Secret Roll: Mayon Graycross rolled 17 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 12.  Eldritch Blast on Half Ogre.
08:25, Today: Secret Roll: Mayon Graycross rolled 3 using 1d10 with rolls of 3.  Force Damage.
08:25, Today: Secret Roll: Mayon Graycross rolled 6 using 1d6 with rolls of 6.  Bonus Hex Necrotic Damage.
Total Damage: 9, 3 Force and 6 Necrotic.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:04, Tue 03 Jan 2017.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 90 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 2 Jan 2017
at 22:02
Re: Day 2
Jak moved to a slightly better position and glanced around to make sure there weren't any other goblins or beasties lying in wait for them. Seeing his allies starting to make moves, he called out to the Half-Ogre. "Hey, blockhead! I can't believe y'let that little green thing do all the talkin' for ya! He prob'ly takes the best loot too!"

OOC: Move to AA-18 and unleash Vicious Mockery on the Half-Ogre.
If Jak is not in range he will from his original position straight towards the Half-Ogre instead. I think he's in range where he's at.

4 damage and disadvantage on next attack roll if he fails his Wisdom saving throw.

15:01, Today: Secret Roll: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 4 using 1d4 with rolls of 4.  Vicious Mockery on Half-Ogre.

DM
 GM, 257 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 3 Jan 2017
at 01:53
Re: Day 2
The goblin starts as Bram rounds the corner of the tree brandishing his axe. "Grab the treasure Geeraugh!" he shouts as he dives for the cover of the boulders, yet the paladin's axe cuts him down before he can hide.

The half-ogre staggers a bit after Mayon's assault, but it smiles at Jak's catcall. "Mougra is dead now," it says. "Now I'm coming for you." The half-ogre's large form lumbers through the boulders and looms over Bram. He yanks an even larger battleaxe than Bram's from a strap across his back with both of his meaty hands. Smiling, he swings it at Bram's head.


Mid-round update - map updated.

The goblin dies at Bram's hands.

The half-ogre moves up one square and attacks Bram with a battleaxe.


Morg Danforge
 player, 92 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Tue 3 Jan 2017
at 23:51
Re: Day 2
Morg, seeing his friend attacked, charges over the boulders at the half-ogre while taking out his warhammer, swinging for its knees.
Move: 10' from ai11 to ai9.

Action: knock out attack on half-ogre with warhammer, 13 to hit, which if it hits does 12 bludgeoning damage.

01:40, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 13 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 7.  Knock out attack on half-ogre with warhammer.

01:43, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 12 using 1d8+6 with rolls of 6.  Warhammer bludgeoning damage to half-ogre.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:53, Tue 03 Jan 2017.

Verthel Go'Van
 player, 59 posts
 Drow Elf
 Cleric of Auril
Wed 4 Jan 2017
at 08:08
Re: Day 2
Verthel steps forward as he sees the ogre charge, and chants a quick prayer over Bram, giving him a measure of protection from his goddess.

OOC: Move to AJ-12, casting Shield of Faith on Bram.
Bramwell Caulder
 player, 94 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Thu 5 Jan 2017
at 08:24
Re: Day 2
#Round 2

Bram faced down the half-ogre brute with some trepidation, but no intention of backing down.  His own axe looked a paltry weapon compared to the massive and jagged weapon swinging for his head.  He had to snap himself out of his internal musings on what sort of unholy union produced such a creature and focus on avoiding a beheading.  Luckily the swing was powerful but slow, allowing him to avoid it and retaliate by burying his axe in the meat of its shoulder.


OOC:  Battleaxe the Half-ogre for 6 slashing!

00:15, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 6 using 1d8+3 with rolls of 3.  Battleaxe damage. 00:15, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 16 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 11.  Half-Ogre battleaxe chop.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:33, Thu 05 Jan 2017.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 91 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 5 Jan 2017
at 16:04
Re: Day 2
#Round 2

Jak hadn't seen any further hostiles. There may be some, but he hadn't seen them or been shot yet. He let out a laugh. "Really, Ogrish One? If ya are, yer goin' the wrong way. I'm over here!" He stepped out around the boulder and gave the Half-Ogre a one-fingered salute along with a wide grin.

OOC: Moving to AD-14. Vicious Mockery on him again.
09:04, Today: Secret Roll: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 2 using 1d4 with rolls of 2.  Vicious Mockery on Half-Ogre.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:33, Thu 05 Jan 2017.

DM
 GM, 260 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 5 Jan 2017
at 17:36
Re: Day 2
The goblin starts as Bram rounds the corner of the tree brandishing his axe. "Grab the treasure Geeraugh!" he shouts as he dives for the cover of the boulders, yet the paladin's axe cuts him down before he can hide.

The half-ogre staggers a bit after Mayon's assault, but smiles at Jak's catcall. "Mougra is dead now," he says. "Now I'm coming for you." His large form lumbers through the boulders and looms over Bram. He yanks an even larger battleaxe than Bram's from a strap across his back with both of his meaty hands. Smiling, he swings it at Bram's head - and misses a full two feet too high.

Morg's blow to the Geeraugh's knees nearly topples the beast, but he maintains his footing and leers at the dwarf. "Or maybe I'll gut you first," he says, wheezing.



A couple of you posted Round 2 actions, which is fine, but I added a hashtag to those so we don't get confused. Here's a summary of what happened in Round 1, prior to those Round 2 posts:

Round 1 Summary:

Asano attacks the half-ogre with Ray of Frost - HITS for 7 cold.

Bram moves around the tree and attacks the goblin - HITS for 11 slashing. Goblin is dead.

Jak moves to the other side of the boulder and casts Vicious Mockery on the half-ogre - MISS (he makes the save).

Mayon casts Hex on the half-ogre. He then casts Eldritch Blast - HITS for 9 mixed damage.

Verthel does nothing (out of spell slots).

Half-ogre moves to AJ8 and attacks Bram with a battleaxe (two-hands) - MISS.

Morg moves through the boulders and attacks the half-ogre - HITS for 12 bludgeoning.

Round 2 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Asano21 
Bram19 
Jak18 
Mayon18concentrating: Hex
Verthel8 
Half-ogre8slowed by 10'; Hexed by Mayon (extra dmg from Mayon, disadv on Con ability checks)
Morg6 



This message was last edited by the GM at 22:35, Thu 05 Jan 2017.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 135 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Thu 5 Jan 2017
at 17:56
Re: Day 2
Mayon smiles a bit to see the damage they'd done, and looses another bolt of magic towards the rather large target.

Mayon is staying where he is.

10:53, Today: Secret Roll: Mayon Graycross rolled 21 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 16.  Eldritch Blast on Half Ogre.
10:54, Today: Secret Roll: Mayon Graycross rolled 5 using 1d10 with rolls of 5.  EB Force Damage.
10:54, Today: Mayon Graycross rolled 4 using 1d6 with rolls of 4.  Necrotic Hex Damage.

Total: 9

Asano Breathkill
 player, 100 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 5 Jan 2017
at 19:58
Re: Day 2
Asano tightens his lips as Bram and Morg engage the half-ogre from near-opposite sides. His line of fire obscured enough to make him hesitate, Asano drops the aim of the wand. Another blast of freezing magic lashes out at Mougra's feet, as Asano tries to frost the ground and trip up the enemy's footing.

OOC:
Ray of Frost attack roll- 25  NATURAL 20, BABEEEEE!!!

Ahem, sorry, I think that's my first nat 20 using the RPoL Dice Roller. Ever.

DM
 GM, 261 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 5 Jan 2017
at 22:37
Re: Day 2
Under a hail of weapon strikes and magic, the half-ogre stumbles and pitches forward, landing face-first amid the rocks.


The half-ogre's dead & we're out of initiative.


This message was last edited by the GM at 22:38, Thu 05 Jan 2017.

Morg Danforge
 player, 93 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Fri 6 Jan 2017
at 09:10
Re: Day 2
Morg looks around for more hostiles while cleaning his hammer, and says to Bram "Where do you think these two stayed - in the antechamber to the tomb?"


11:06, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 5 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 2.  Perception check looking for more hostiles.

DM
 GM, 263 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 6 Jan 2017
at 14:41
Re: Day 2
Morg scans the horizon. A slight breeze rustles the branches of the small trees near the open tomb door, but otherwise he sees no additional movement. There were plenty of large boulder groups in the area that could hide all manner of creature, yet they seem still as well.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 101 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Fri 6 Jan 2017
at 20:18
Re: Day 2
Asano retrieves his dropped equipment and money. "That's a possibility," he replies to the dwarf. "There noisemaker kept them alerted to any intruders, regardless whether they were home or not. Maybe they even relied on the tomb's guardian to soften up any likely prey before they pounced on them." He scans the surrounding terrain for any further violence. "Well, back to town for the evening, or was there something else on our agenda to look into?"


OOC:
Perception- 19

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 15:33, Sat 07 Jan 2017.

DM
 GM, 264 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 6 Jan 2017
at 20:57
Re: Day 2
Asano sees nothing different from Morg.
Mayon Graycross
 player, 137 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Fri 6 Jan 2017
at 22:11
Re: Day 2
"I'd say so." Mayon says, retrieving his coin pouch from the pile they'd dropped on the ground. "If there was more than the two of them, they probably would've joined the fight. Or took off running when we fought back."

Even so, he looks around as well, trying to spot any tracks or signs of more than the two they had faced.

Probably redundant at this point, buuuut...
15:11, Today: Mayon Graycross rolled 20 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 16.  Perception.

DM
 GM, 265 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 7 Jan 2017
at 15:42
Re: Day 2
Mayon's sharp eyes spy a particularly large set of boulders about 150 feet away from the tomb's entrance. There appear to be a few branches broken off nearby bushes and trees that could indicate passage of creatures between two of the rocks.


The group of boulders in question is D7-I13 on the map.



Mayon Graycross
 player, 138 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sun 8 Jan 2017
at 18:04
Re: Day 2
Mayon focuses on the boulders, frowning a bit. "If there were any others, they may have gone through there." He says, pointing and glancing at the others. "Should we go take a look?"
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 93 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sun 8 Jan 2017
at 19:15
Re: Day 2
Jak frowned and then nodded. "I think we should take a look, since we're already here. I mean, just in case there's somethin' else there." And while he didn't say it, there was also unheard that he thought there might be loot there to find.
Bramwell Caulder
 player, 95 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Sun 8 Jan 2017
at 19:20
Re: Day 2
Bramwell leans over and wipes off his bloody axe onto the fallen half-ogre's ragged clothing, then hung the weapon back on his belt and went to collect whatever 'treasures' remained on the pile and return them to their owners.  "That ruse worked out fairly well, all things considered.  Was anybody hurt?"  Adjusting his spectacles, he looked off in the direction Mayon indicated and nodded at his and Jak's suggestion, "Yes, I think you may be correct, Mayon.  If these two had accomplices, they may have fled to gather reinforcements.  We'd best check, just in case."  With that, Bram set off hiking toward the boulders, though he'd allow anyone with better tracking skills to take the lead.
DM
 GM, 268 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 8 Jan 2017
at 21:18
Re: Day 2
A quick search of the boulders reveals a small camp, large enough for two bandits to cook small meals and gain some protection from the elements. The rudimentary cooking tools and filthy bedrolls seem to be of less than zero value.

There is no indication from the hidden camp or the ground surrounding it that any more than two creatures ever frequented the area.
Morg Danforge
 player, 94 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Mon 9 Jan 2017
at 13:30
Re: Day 2
Returning from the camp, Morg searches the two bodies looking for weapons and other possessions.
DM
 GM, 269 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 9 Jan 2017
at 16:36
Re: Day 2
Morg discovers very little on the dead goblin and half-ogre, other than poorly made weapons and filthy clothing.
Mayon Graycross
 player, 139 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Mon 9 Jan 2017
at 16:47
Re: Day 2
"Well, I suppose that's settled then." Mayon says, relieved that it seems to have just been the two. "They must've hid out here and waited for people to trigger that noise trap, then set up while we were in the tomb. It was probably pretty recent too, since I think folks in town would have been gossiping quite a bit if someone got mugged out here."
Asano Breathkill
 player, 102 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Mon 9 Jan 2017
at 18:20
Re: Day 2
"Well, shall we return to Red Larch for the evening," Asano inquires of the party. "Mayhap the oven has been repaired sufficient for use at the inn."
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 94 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 9 Jan 2017
at 19:07
Re: Day 2
Jak snooped around the area for a bit, checking out as thoroughly as he could to see if they had missed something, if there was anything hidden. If the unlikely bandit duo had been robbing people, surely they would have had some of their ill-gotten booty around somewhere? But perhaps they sold it or traded it away.

He nodded. "Headin' back an' sleeping sounds wonderful! Maybe a good big meal too! That'd hit the spot!"

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:19, Mon 09 Jan 2017.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 140 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Tue 10 Jan 2017
at 23:34
Re: Day 2
"Sounds great, after today." Mayon agrees with a smile, relieved that this particular problem is over and done with. Bandits in the morning and goblins in the evening. A good night's rest would be a godsend.

So are we just heading back to town, then?
Bramwell Caulder
 player, 96 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Wed 11 Jan 2017
at 23:53
Re: Day 2
Once it was clear that this odd pair were the only threats in the area, Bram put away his axe and shield and retrieved his journal.  As he scribbled notes on the encounter he wondered aloud, "Seems an odd location for banditry, unless tomb robbery is more common than one might expect."  Putting away his writing implements, Bram nodded.  "Very well, let's return to Red Larch.  I don't know if Constable Harbuckle had an eye on this place, but I reckon he'd be grateful we've rid the area of these two."

As the party made their way back to town the half-elf remarked, "Each of you have shown commendable courage in facing these dangers.  I believe we've done good today."  He then suggested, "Perhaps tomorrow we might set out early toward Lance Rock?  It seems that much trouble brews there."
Morg Danforge
 player, 95 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Thu 12 Jan 2017
at 05:09
Re: Day 2
"The plague place? Aye."

As they head back to town, Morg falls back to walk next to Verthel. "Who is the Lady of Winter? I haven't heard of her before."

This message was last edited by the player at 05:12, Thu 12 Jan 2017.

DM
 GM, 272 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 12 Jan 2017
at 16:12
Re: Day 2
The sun sinks lower over the horizon as the group makes their way back to Red Larch. The rugged terrain rises and falls under their feet. A distant urgent bleating sounds somewhere off to the north, perhaps from one of the outlying homesteads that dot the Dessarin Valley.

Returning to the Swinging Sword, the group finds a new face in the common room, calmly eating from a bowl. Through the back windows, it is plain a new makeshift stove has been constructed outside, perhaps not much more sturdily than before.

Sambrose enters from the backdoor and nods to the returning party, carrying an edible-smelling pot of food from outside. "Welcome back gentlemen," he says. "Beans tonight, if yer int'rested." He smiles somewhat apologetically.




XP (Haunted Tomb):

Goblin: 50 XP
Half-ogre: 200 XP
DM award, eliminating tomb raiders: 200 XP
Total XP: 450
XP per person: 113


This message was last edited by the GM at 18:56, Thu 12 Jan 2017.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 96 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 12 Jan 2017
at 17:10
Re: Day 2
Jakrynn turned his head curiously to look where the bleating sound came from. He was a city-born boy and sometimes still wasn't used to rural life or time in the wilds. He idly wondered if they should check out the noise, but he was tired so he let it be.

He smiled as he smelled good when they entered the Swinging Sword. "Oh I could eat a WHOLE COW! But beans'll do." He chuckled and plopped down in a chair.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 104 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 12 Jan 2017
at 17:26
Re: Day 2
Asano settles the majority of his traveling gear in his room, keeping his wand and basic necessities on him, then heads to the Swinging Sword. He nods in thanks as the beans are delivered to the table, fairly oblivious to the outside noises as he tucks into the simple evening fare.
Mayon Graycross
 player, 143 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Thu 12 Jan 2017
at 17:31
Re: Day 2
The noise caught Mayon's attention, but he was more interested in getting some rest after the long day. He leaves his belongings in his room, keeping only his gloves close at hand--though not actually on his hands--and thanks Sambrose politely before joining the others in eating.
DM
 GM, 273 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 12 Jan 2017
at 18:55
Re: Day 2
Various maids and helpers pass through the common room, and Kaylessa stops in to exchange pleasantries. Otherwise the meal passes uneventfully, and quickly.


Head to bed and start Day 3? Or something else before we end the day?

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:56, Thu 12 Jan 2017.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 97 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Thu 12 Jan 2017
at 21:17
Re: Day 2
Bramwell's ears perked up at the distressed bleating echoing from further north in the valley.  Drawing upon knowledge gleaned from a youth in rural country as well as later studies of natural philosophy, the half-elf attempted to identify the creature and interpret what the call communicated.  Was it a mating call, a cry of pain, or simply a random bleating?


Woah, Bram knows his animal calls, apparently!:
  • 13:04, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 24 using 1d20+4.  Nature.

If Bram has reason to believe that a nearby farm is under attack then he'll want to go investigate.  If it's nothing then resting up until the next day sounds good.

DM
 GM, 274 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 12 Jan 2017
at 22:01
Re: Day 2
*A brief flashback to cover the bleating*

Bram believes the cry was some sort of farm animal in pain. It could have been from an injury, a routine slaughter of an animal by a farmer, or even because it was giving birth. Rumors of monsters throughout the Valley, particularly in the Sumber Hills, leave open the possibility of some sort of predator as well.

In any case, the noise happened only once, and the normal sounds of the Valley returned quickly. The paladin has no reason to believe an attack was underway.
Morg Danforge
 player, 96 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (2w1/1)
Fri 13 Jan 2017
at 13:20
Re: Day 2
Morg adds some of his ale to the beans, and says "Who was initially worried about the tomb? We should at least tell Harburk about the dead goblin and ogre, and warn about the ghost. If we do it tomorrow he may have news about the quarry."

"I'm running low on cash - if no-one can check for enchantments or curses on the bandit loot, should we sell it? I have some experience fixing up wagons, if we want to keep that."

Asano Breathkill
 player, 105 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Fri 13 Jan 2017
at 19:16
Re: Day 2
"A wagon could be useful," Asano says, swallowing a mouthful of beans. "I imagine we can find the good sheriff after supper. Probably across the way at the Helm." AS thoughthe statement settles anything, he goes back to finishing his beans.
DM
 GM, 280 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 18 Jan 2017
at 01:14
Re: Day 2
The meal ends uneventfully, and the occupants of the common room head upstairs for the evening.


Long rest here - recover hp, spell slots, etc.

Net Loot Day 2 (including sale of goods to happen tomorrow):

Asano: add 4 gp, 4 sp, 16 cp
Bram: add 6 gp, 11 sp, 16 cp
Jak: add 6 gp, 11 sp, 16 cp
Mayon: add 6 gp, 4 sp, 16 cp
Morg: add 5 gp, 8 sp, 11 cp
Verthel: add 6 gp, 4 sp, 16 cp