Day 3 - Lance Rock Part 1.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 382 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 9 Mar 2017
at 15:06
Re: Day 3
Dweeble doesn't find any traps on the chest, and it seems like the chest would open easily.

Mayon squints at the wall, but it seems to be just a wall. He and Bram move near Morg to investigate it. Running his fingers on the wall, Bram sees a small hole where some light is leaking through.

Mayon pokes the wall with his quarterstaff. It seems solid enough, though the sound it makes seems a little hollow.

Just as the echos of Mayon's quarterstaff fade, the murmurings behind the wall turn to cackling. "You dare to pit yourselves against the Lord of Lance Rock?" the voice catcalls, "Death is your reward!" An unseen mechanism screeches through the walls of the cave, and the crack in the ceiling above suddenly splits open. A hail of large boulders falls down into the cave, rolling into every corner.


Morg, Mayon, Dweeble, and Bram all need to make a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw. If you fail you'll take 8 bludgeoning damage; only 4 on a success.




This message was last edited by the GM at 15:06, Thu 09 Mar 2017.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 205 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Thu 9 Mar 2017
at 15:29
Re: Day 3
Mayon gasps in surprise at the falling boulders, stumbling over his feet and trying to get away. It doesn't really work, and the rocks batter him quite fiercely.


08:27, Today: Secret Roll: Mayon Graycross rolled 2 using 1d20 with rolls of 2.  Dex save.
Sigh...
If it's possible to move after this Mayon is going to try and GTFO to P39

This message was last edited by the player at 15:53, Thu 09 Mar 2017.

Morg Danforge
 player, 151 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (w1)
Thu 9 Mar 2017
at 15:40
Re: Day 3
Morg lifts up his shield and deflects some of the boulders, then smashes it against the hollow wall trying to break thru to the other side.
HP-4.

Action: Morg smash.

17:27, Today: Secret Roll: Morg Danforge rolled 10 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 9.  Dexterity save vs boulders. (vs DC of 10)
17:38, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 15 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 9.  Athletics check vs hollow wall.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 147 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Thu 9 Mar 2017
at 17:52
Re: Day 3
A startled "Oh...!" was the only sound Bram managed to utter before the boulders fell and left him battered and half-buried in rubble.  Coughing on stone dust, he set to digging himself free and asked a somewhat inane, albeit well-intentioned question, "Is anybody hurt?"

09:38, Today: Bramwell Caulder rolled 3 using 1d20-1.  Dex save.
Dweeble
 player, 24 posts
 Halfling
 Rogue
Thu 9 Mar 2017
at 19:21
Re: Day 3
Dweeble looked up as the rumbling of the false ceiling alerted everyone to the impending danger.  She quickly tucked her back against the chest, her arms over her head as she used the impromptu half-cover to avoid the majority of the falling boulders.  As she pulled herself away from the chest and around some of the fallen stones, she turned to Bram with a triumphant smile, albeit a pained one, on her face.  "See, I told you the chest was safe!"

Without that knowledge buried as deep as Bram was in rubble, Dweeble turned back to the chest and hurriedly dug her thieves tools out, just in case.  With them, she quickly set to work on opening the chest, ignoring any possible danger from the voice she seemed to have simply not heard in her lust for whatever was in the chest.


HP -4.  (Thank goodness for Lucky!)
Rolled a Thieves Tools use in case the lock/keyhole is actually locked.
11:13, Today: Dweeble rolled 8 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 1.  Dex Save.
11:13, Today: Dweeble rolled 24 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 17.  Hafling Lucky Reroll (Dex Save).
11:19, Today: Dweeble rolled 21 using 1d20+9 with rolls of 12.  Use Thieves Tools.

DM
 GM, 383 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 10 Mar 2017
at 04:30
Re: Day 3
As the boulders crash down, one of the largest ones barely misses Morg and smashes into the hollow-sounding wall behind him with a loud crack. Morg's shield smash pushes a chunk of the wall backwards, with a loud reverberating crash. The hole in the wall looks to be large enough to move through, and dim torchlight streams through it. A ten foot square landing is visible on the other side, and it appears to overlook a large cavern below. More high pitched cackling echos up from the floor of the cavern, incomprehensible to anyone in the party.

After dodging the falling rocks, Dweeble bends down to try to pick the lock on one of the chests with her tools. Shortly after inserting her tools into the lock, the top of the chest pops open. The chest is empty.


Map updated. The square M36xN37 is a landing overlooking a large cavern. The cavern below is apparently lit by torchlight.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 126 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Fri 10 Mar 2017
at 04:53
Re: Day 3
Jak had cleaned himself off during their short rest, not complaining but occasionally making small disgusted noises. Nonetheless, he had been ready to travel again when the group was. He had been hanging in the back a bit to keep an eye on anymore undead sneaking up on them. Not that the undead had been coming up from behind, mind you, but just in case.

The new halfing girl was eager enough. He heard the commotion from in the room and winced. He started moving closer when he heard the evil cackling voice. That worried him. "Hey! What's going on in here? Did we find the lord?"

OOC: Moving to like Q38.
Dweeble
 player, 27 posts
 Halfling
 Rogue
Fri 10 Mar 2017
at 05:07
Re: Day 3
Dweeble stared into the empty chest, her eyes and features blank of any signs of emotion.  Quietly, almost impossibly slowly, she turned to where Bram lay hurt near her, a sudden look of bewilderment in her eyes.  "Y-you're trying to pull a fast one on ol' Dweeble, aren't ya?  Give her the dummy chest and take the real shinies for yourself!  No way, mister.  The loot is Dweeble's, 'member?"

Without too much concern for his comfort, Dweeble forced her hands around him to the chest that lay beyond.  With her tools still at the ready, she quickly began to open the second chest.


Sneaky DM!  Surely BOTH chests wouldn't be empty, right?!

21:04, Today: Secret Roll: Dweeble rolled 25 using 1d20+9 with rolls of 16.  use Thieves Tools.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 209 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Fri 10 Mar 2017
at 05:52
Re: Day 3
"Something like that...he was behind a wall or something and took off, I think. Triggered a trap...lot of rocks...everything hurts." Mayon groans as he gets to his feet, using his staff for support. "I'm beginning to see why dad said our family's greatest strength and flaw are both curiosity..."

When he sees the halfling going for the other chest, his face pales and he immediately heads for the corridor, hoping to avoid any more potential traps

And Mayon is gonna book it out of the room to Q38 :P
Morg Danforge
 player, 153 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (sw0 as0)
Fri 10 Mar 2017
at 07:54
Re: Day 3
Morg shakes off the boulder damage and helps Bram up.

Seeing how badly Bram and Mayon were hurt, he backs up towards the tunnel, "I don't think we're ready to take on the necromancer."

Move: backwards to tunnel.

09:47, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 9 using 1d10+1.  HP recovered from second wind.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 149 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Fri 10 Mar 2017
at 10:04
Re: Day 3
Bram accepted Morg's help getting to his feet, straightened out his cockeyed spectacles and then briefly dusted himself off.  When Dweeble discovered the empty chest and accused him of greedy deception, he was entirely baffled.  It didn't occur to him to be angry at such mistreatment, but only to explain.  "You sorely mistake me, miss Dweeble.  Knowledge is the treasure I seek, and the written works that contain it.   Be assured that I harbor no designs to decieve or steal, for such would be counterproductive to my duties as a Glyphscribe."

When the lass set to picking the lock on the second chest, Bram joined the others in backing away into the tunnel and out of harm's way.  He agreed with Morg's assessment, "Yes, this misadventure has left us somewhat the worse for wear.  A foe capable of bending undead to his will is not to be taken lightly.  Perhaps we might make camp and set a watch upon the cave entrance.  This madman will be unable to leave the cavern without passing by us, so we ought to be able too contain him until we are ready to meet him on our own terms."
DM
 GM, 384 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 10 Mar 2017
at 14:30
Re: Day 3
Dweeble opens the second chest easily, but finds that it has no bottom - the floor of the cave itself is visible underneath it. The chest "contains" only a few pebbles indistinguishable from those strewn around the cave floor.
Morg Danforge
 player, 154 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1 (sw0 as0)
Fri 10 Mar 2017
at 15:54
Re: Day 3
Peering in as the second chest is opened, Morg whispers "Maybe it's an illusion - you should climb in..." before leaving down the tunnel.

Dweeble
 player, 29 posts
 Halfling
 Rogue
Fri 10 Mar 2017
at 18:26
Re: Day 3
Dweeble peered into the chest with a puzzled stare as the others began to back out, wounds and weariness finally taking their toll it seemed.  Ignoring her own scuffed self, she stared down into the chest with a light tilt to her head, as if she was to uncover some sort of mystery the chest contained.  Finally, as Morg spoke to her, she reached in and plucked the pebbles from the chest's cave bottom.  She turned and secreted her thieves' tools back among her belt pouches and pulled the torch out given to her earlier by the dwarf.

With the torch in hand, she followed the murmurs and scuffles of the others, not letting herself be trapped once more in the undead haven.  Her furled brow and constant bitten lower lip made it obvious she was concentrating on what she and the others had found.  As she caught up with others in the tunnels, she followed in silence, lost in her thoughts for the time being.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 150 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Fri 10 Mar 2017
at 21:42
Re: Day 3
"As much as it pains me to say so," Asano says, taking note of the group's current state: bleeding, battered, and tired. "Glyphscribe Bramwell makes an excellent point. I pray our retreat and recovery doesn't give this creature too much time to prepare more dangers for us. I can take the first watch at the entrance, being of full health and ability, as of now."

This message was lightly edited by the player at 22:23, Sat 11 Mar 2017.

DM
 GM, 394 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 11 Mar 2017
at 18:00
Re: Day 3
It takes some time, but the group is able to dig themselves out of the rubble. Bruised and battered, they make their way out of the series of caves to the outside entrance. The sun is perhaps halfway past its zenith, though much of the valley floor is already cloaked in shadows. Sounds of wildlife are distant as the group makes preparations for camp.


Feel free to keep up any discussions. You all haven't had a ton of chances to compare notes, background info, and just talk in character, so this could be a chance to do that while everyone levels.
Mayon Graycross
 player, 213 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sat 11 Mar 2017
at 18:13
Re: Day 3
Mayon sighs in relief at the sight of natural light, feeling that they had been down there much, much longer than they had. Battered and exhausted, he still makes the effort to help the others prepare for camp, glancing curiously a the odd halfling now traveling with them.

"Miss, Dweeble was it? I'm Mayon, since I don't think we've had any proper introductions. Would...would you mind telling us how you ended up in there?" His voice is soft and curious, trying not to pry too deeply.
Dweeble
 player, 35 posts
 Halfling
 Rogue
Sat 11 Mar 2017
at 18:48
Re: Day 3
Dweeble turned with a quizzical tilt to her head as the warlock approached her, as if seeing him for the first time.  Her previous focused, concerned eyes opened wide with sudden shock as he spoke to her.  Just as she had before, she opened her mouth to speak to him, only to shut it quickly and repeat the process like a fish struggling on land.  After several attempts to push a word from her lips, she got up and suddenly headed out towards the wooded area.

After a short while she returned with armfuls of wood, though her arms were hardly much for carrying, and set them down in the camp before finding Mayon, a smile on her face once more.  "Mayon...  Mayonmayonmayon!  Dweeble was hunting for some shinies!  I heard there was lots of treasure in there, so Dweeble went in to take it.  Guess that was a lie..."  Her eager grin suddenly turned into a deep frown, her brow furled once more as her hand reached down to a pouch at her waist.

Slipping a hand into the pouch, she pulled the three pebbles she'd taken from the second chest out and rolled them over in her hand.  After a moment, she picked one from the trio and deposited the other two back away, holding the third out to Mayon.  "Can you make sure the bespectacled one gets this?  Dweeble took it but he chose the chest.  She just opened it, after all.  He gets a cut of her loot, too."
Mayon Graycross
 player, 214 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sat 11 Mar 2017
at 19:34
Re: Day 3
Mayon had to admit he was a bit startled by her rapid speech, but nodded and took the small stone with a smile. "Of course. I'm sure he'll appreciate it."

He thought for a moment. "I'm not sure what sort of treasure that 'lord' may be hiding in there, but we ARE being paid to investigate and clear this place out. If you're willing to stick around with us for a while we could probably get you a fair cut when we get back to town."
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 128 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sat 11 Mar 2017
at 22:09
Re: Day 3
Jak shook his head. It had been strange thus far. He chuckled at Mayon and spoke to Dweeble. "Don't worry, Dweeble. I think there's still a chance we might find some treasure in here. After all, we haven't really faced off against the so-called Lord here yet, right?" He gave a shrug. "Just a cackling voice an' a trap so far."

He flashed a quick friendly smile. "I'm Jakrynn Redgate, but you can call me Jak." He lightly tapped the drums around his waist rhythmically a few times. "Soon I'll sing some quiet lullabies t'help everyone sleep when we're all ready."
Asano Breathkill
 player, 153 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sat 11 Mar 2017
at 22:18
Re: Day 3
"Though, I feel it should be said," Asano says as the others get to know the new diminutive member of the group. "All treasure found while you travel with us is to be shared evenly with the group. Everyone pulls their weight, and everyone is rewarded for that effort. Is that fair, Mistress Dweeble?" As he speaks, he flicks his hands toward each party member. With each gesture, the dirt falls from the clothes and equipment of each targeted party member. Asano clearly holds his prestidigitary cleaning of Dweeble's self until she agrees to the accord.
Dweeble
 player, 38 posts
 Halfling
 Rogue
Sat 11 Mar 2017
at 22:25
Re: Day 3
Dweeble's eyes somehow grew wider yet, her mouth falling slightly agape at Mayon's explanation and offer.  She pursed her lips in thought a moment later, as if tasting something she wasn't sure she truly enjoyed or not.  "Youmean they payou- pay, you for killin' and lootin' a place?  Why didn't Dweeble ever hear 'bout this!?  Didya have to blackmail 'em or some such?  Twist their arm and crunch their bones?  Dweeble's never minded gettin' her hands dirty, but even she has some morals y'know!"

She held up a hand a moment after she finished her short tirade, her index finger extended as she thought over what the others said.  "Nevermind, don't be telling Dweeble 'bout what you all did.  If yer sayin' she can make it out flush AND find some nice shinies too, you can count her in!"  She waved a hand at Asano, perhaps dismissively or perhaps to tell him she'd heard.  It was hard to be sure with how quickly she moved and spoke.

She turned to Jak with an almost imperceptible bit of concern, as if something he said had triggered something for her.  "Dweeble ain't heard a lullaby since she was a wee hin.  Back when carts and canvas were whole.  D'ya know Peddlefoot's Quandary?  That was always my favorite!"  The little halfling practically rocked back and forth in happiness at the thought, the tune no doubt playing in her head.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 156 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sun 12 Mar 2017
at 05:14
Re: Day 3
Asano doesn't see much left for him to attend to, so he looks for a quiet spot where he can see both the entrance of the cave complex as well as the approaches to Lance Rock itself.
Morg Danforge
 player, 159 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 2 (sw1 as1)
Sun 12 Mar 2017
at 18:26
Re: Day 3
Morg checks to make sure Asano's prestidigitation wasn't just an illusion, and then thanks him. "I don't think Haeleeya'll fancy you as much when she sees you do that trick - you could put her out of business..."

He turns to Dweeble, "We don't kill indiscriminately. Goblins and undead sure. And evil wizards because you can't jail 'em; but if we can capture someone, they'll be handed over to the local constable, shreeve, or viscount."

DM
 GM, 396 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 13 Mar 2017
at 02:49
Re: Day 3
The embers of the fire burn low as the group talks after sundown. Eventually some members of the group sleep, others stay up to keep watch. The night passes quietly in the valley until the eastern sky lightens to hearken the approaching dawn.