Day 8 - A New Day.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 1106 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 11 Aug 2018
at 19:15
Day 8 - A New Day
The air is still and heavy as the morning sun shines through the shutters of Feathergale Spire. Despite the early hour the heat seems to radiate from stone of the tower. The swirling mists in the valley below seem almost like steam, boiling out of a heated cauldron.

Aside from the stirrings of the party who conquered the air cultists here, all is still within the Spire.

Mayon groans as he awakens, as he slept fitfully. Though he has no memories of any particular dreams, he has the distinct impression that his patron is not pleased with him. He doesn't feel as rejuvenated as he should.


Jak earns Inspiration for completing his second "secret mission", clearing out the raiders who he swore to stop attacking nearby hamlets and caravans!

Mayon's crummy hp roll has to have an in-world explanation, right? =)

What's next?

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:20, Sat 11 Aug 2018.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 363 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sun 12 Aug 2018
at 03:31
Day 8 - A New Day
Jak finished up last watch and began waking people. Then he wandered off - well, not wandered, really. He knew exactly where he was going. He headed down to the stables to check in on Sharpwind and make sure she was okay, had food, was brushed if she needed to be, and anything else he could think of - but mainly making sure she was okay.

Then he began to thoroughly search Thurl's room and the other knight's at the top-most rooms, working his way down until the rest of the party informed him they were ready to go or what the consensus on a plan was.
DM
 GM, 1107 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 13 Aug 2018
at 02:01
Day 8 - A New Day
Jak wakes before the others, and spends a fair amount of time rooting through the knight's chambers and the supplies strewn about the stables. With a flash of insight, he realizes these all must be stolen goods, from the "knights'" raiding parties.

Some of the items are ruined, but others seem to be in good condition.



Jak finds 12 feathered cloaks and enough gold in the knights' chests to increase the Day 7 per-PC payout to 149 gp/apiece. There's also a laundry list of stolen goods available from the stables - see below.

Here's an updated list of everything to be distributed to everyone's character sheets, plus the stuff that's also available to be claimed/investigated:

Treasure to be distributed:
- 149 gp each to all (including Alnessa)
- Thurl's ring, a feather-patterned golden ring set with a garnet - 250gp
- Potion of Heroism: For 1 hour after drinking it, you gain 10 Temporary Hit Points that last for 1 hour. For the same Duration, you are under the effect of the bless spell (no Concentration required). This blue potion bubbles and steams as if boiling.
- Spell scroll: unidentified
- Spell scroll: Skywrite - Jak is the only one in the party currently who can cast this, because he's a bard.


In addition, there are some items that aren't necessarily treasure per se, but that the group did acquire and would be good to distribute to folks' character sheets:
- 2 keys recovered from Qarbo's corpse in the Standing Stone monastery
- 4 trade bars from Mirabar worth 5 gp each, found in the tunnels below Red Larch
- Monk garb, recovered from monks in the Standing Stone monastery - 9 robes & masks

There's also the question about the magic dagger Reszur, whether Morg or Zora should carry that by default - if Zora's keeping the magic dagger we should probably move the description to her character sheet.


Other stuff available at the Spire - will be left behind unless claimed:
From the stables - items in good enough working order to use:
- 5 healing potions
- shovel
- empty chest
- portable ram
- 10 iron spikes
- hooded lantern
- hunting trap
- abacus
- robes
- vial of unidentified liquid
- grappling hook


From the armory:
- 3 longswords
- 3 suits of scale mail w/ matching helmets (one dwarf sized)
- 4 shields
- 4 longbows
- 4 quivers of 20 arrows each

From the knights's rooms:
- 12 feathered cloaks

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:04, Mon 13 Aug 2018.

Morg Danforge
 player, 554 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Mon 13 Aug 2018
at 17:45
Day 8 - A New Day
After waking and eating, Morg takes a piton and starts scraping off the mountain-peak-shaped chevron insignia and dwarven rune on his shield, muttering "[Language unknown:  Romima lilihe u thiardwas k ng e thuiounot usndsa tho al llulhiioannd e dinithtic thiere ndesut...]" under his breath.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:46, Mon 13 Aug 2018.

Zora Jilkina
 player, 251 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Mon 13 Aug 2018
at 21:42
Day 8 - A New Day
"If you're going to swear, might as well make it so we can all understand," she joked at Morg after she'd taken time to pray and eat. She helped herself to a longsword to compliment her morning star and reszur.

"Are you sure you don't want this back?" she asked Morg, indicating the dagger. "It is quite a lovely weapon."
Alnessa'Elbrani
 player, 3 posts
 Wood Elf
 Monk
Mon 13 Aug 2018
at 23:38
Day 8 - A New Day
Alnessa steeled herself, peeking over the window ledge and into the castle. She dangled high above the grounds below, her bare feet gripping the rough stone, but she didn't mind. Climbing something so high was new to her, and the challenge had been worth it.

Seeing it clear, she pulled herself up the rest of the way, the lithe Elf slipping through the human-sized window and into the castle proper. Her features were hidden by the hood over her head and the scarf around her mouth, and though she carried a spear on her back, she made no move to pull it out. There was no need to fight just yet. Not until she got a better lay of the place. Hearing far off voices, she crept closer, curious. Once she found a good vantage point, she would hunker down and observe, looking for the one called Savra.

OOC: Hi everyone! Didn't know how to push my way into the game, so I hope you don't mind if she spies on Zora, Morg and company go over their loot!

Alnessa'Elbrani rolled 25 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 18.  stealth.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 493 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Tue 14 Aug 2018
at 00:18
Day 8 - A New Day
Mayon rubs his forehead, exhausted and irritable from a restless night. Apparently his patron wasn't too thrilled with his actions, though there wasn't exactly a lot he could do on his own. Fey just didn't understand mortal limitations, it seemed.

"I'd like to get that other scroll looked at if we get the chance. Can't figure it out myself, unfortunately." He says with a sigh. "The blue potion's got some effects that would be more useful for Morg or Zora, I think. And we can each take a healing potion. Might be nice in an emergency.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 364 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 14 Aug 2018
at 03:40
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak smiled at Sharpwind and gave her one last pet before he turned and began gathering all the things he had found in to a pile. There was no way he could carry it all himself, of course. He shook his head slightly at the 'raiding' the 'knights' had done. He scoffed ot himself. Knight, indeed. Just airborne bandits! Rude hosts, too!

He began making trips while the others were still waking up to pile the stuff in the room for them to look at. He was still at as Morg ate, which earned him a stink-eye. "Good t'see ya up an' lazin' 'bout. Don't mind me, just gath'rin' everythin' t'gether for you, yer majesty." He flashed a wicked grin at the group.

He finally finished up and collapsed in to a heap against a wall just a short distance from the pile of goods. "Also...found...money..." He sat there, catching his breath.
Morg Danforge
 player, 555 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Tue 14 Aug 2018
at 21:20
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"You can hold on to Dweeble's dagger for now," Morg says to Zora, "it might help against that river pirate who may know where your Shadowkeel fella is."

"Do we secure this tower as a stronghold, keep looking for the delegation, or do something else?" he says, looking thru Jak's loot.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:21, Tue 14 Aug 2018.

DM
 GM, 1109 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 14 Aug 2018
at 23:28
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Huet opens the door to his chamber, already fully armored, as the group gathers recovered goods together from the rest of the tower. A brief scowl flits across his face at the sight of the loot, but it is gone in an instant.

"Prithee," he begins, rubbing his eyes. "what doth my rescuers plan to do from hither?"
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 365 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 15 Aug 2018
at 04:11
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak shrugged. "Well....I mean....this place DOES have a nice stable already set up for Sharpwind, which is cool....but I'm dubious of our holdin' this place if we leave for any amount o'time."

He thought about things, but Huet entered and spoke. Jak's face scrunched up a bit at the weird language the knight used. "Um...We may go hither an' yon, but we are discussin' right now." He grinned, and then looked at his compatriots. "I mean we have stuff we should get t'doin', but...havin' a place t'hole up ain't bad."
Zora Jilkina
 player, 252 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Wed 15 Aug 2018
at 18:01
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"I agree, a place to hole up would be ideal. We should search it thoroughly though (or have we already?) I'd hate to have any unpleasant discoveries."

She shrugged at Morg. "I want to pursue Shadowkeel of course, but I feel we should have a place to call home before we launch new raids."
DM
 GM, 1111 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 16 Aug 2018
at 21:32
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The group spends some time pawing through loot collected from various areas around the Spire. Hauling it into the Great Hall was a chore, but at least now it was all collected together.

During a pause in the conversation, a soft sneeze echos from the stairwell.


Alnessa was the one who sneezed - in case I wasn't being obvious enough! =D

@Zora yup, you can assume you've thoroughly searched the Spire at this point, though if there's any particular additional investigation you want to make feel free to post that.

To move things along I'm going to suggest the following loot split based on the discussion I've seen so far - this is really up to the PCs to decide however, so if the group wants to change this at all please feel free to discuss/post changes.

Treasure to be distributed to everyone:
- 149 gp each to all (including Alnessa)
- Potion of Healing
- Monk garb, recovered from monks in the Standing Stone monastery
- 1 feathered cloak, recovered from Feathergale Spire

Treasure to be given to individuals:
- Potion of Heroism --> Zora
- Spell scroll: unidentified --> Mayon
- Spell scroll: Skywrite --> Jak
- 2 keys recovered from Qarbo's corpse in the Standing Stone monastery --> Morg
- 4 trade bars from Mirabar worth 5 gp each, found in the tunnels below Red Larch --> Zora
- Longsword --> Zora
- Longbow & up to 4 quivers of arrows --> Alnessa
- Thurl's ring, a feather-patterned golden ring set with a garnet - 250gp --> Jak
- other stuff --> left behind

Alnessa'Elbrani
 player, 4 posts
 Wood Elf
 Monk
Thu 16 Aug 2018
at 21:41
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Alnessa wasn't used to dust, especially the dusty dust of closed confines and buildings made of stone. So when the sneeze overtook her, she was just as surprised as the rest of them, sneezing right into her scarf loud enough to echo off the walls.

But it didn't matter. These people were interlopers, and these speaks of making camp here and raiding, they had to be bandits! So without missing a beat, the young Elf jumped to her feet, spear in hand and stepped out of the shadows. "Hold, bandits! What have you done to the inhabitants of this monastery! Where is the one called Savra?" she demanded as harshly as she could, though the words came out in the sing-song cadence of an Elf.
Zora Jilkina
 player, 253 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Thu 16 Aug 2018
at 22:32
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
She turned towards the newcomer in shock and alarm. Seeing she was alone, or hoping she was, she looked over the new girl's compact, graceful form. She looked formidable, but not so much that Zora was in full battle mode. Not yet at least.

"Guess we missed a spot," she muttered to herself about the thoroughness of their search of the spire.

"You want to field the Savra question?" she asked her companion.
Morg Danforge
 player, 556 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Sat 18 Aug 2018
at 01:59
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"The double-crossing knights were the bandits." Morg says. "Well, except for Savha and fancy-pants Huet, who helped us."

"You're not with the Sacred Stone Monastery, right?" he says, looking at her green cloak. He holds out an empty hand, "My name's Morg."
Mayon Graycross
 player, 494 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sat 18 Aug 2018
at 03:01
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Savra seems to have left sometime during the night, I'm afraid. The rest of the folk here were, as they say, the bandits who forced us to defend ourselves." Mayon says, holding up his hands in hopes of defusing the situation.

"I am Mayon Graycross. Perhaps you can tell us what brings you here yourself?" He adds, somewhat more calmly.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:01, Sat 18 Aug 2018.

Alnessa'Elbrani
 player, 5 posts
 Wood Elf
 Monk
Sat 18 Aug 2018
at 15:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Alnessa took a step back when Mayon held out his hand, her eyes narrowing at the half-human. "Stay back," she said, waving her spear in their general direction. But she did lower it when they assured her that they were not bandits, and that Savra was not here. She let out a frustrated sigh, her graceful body rising up to her full height as she dropped her battle-stance.

"My apologies. The road has been long, and I have not met many non-elves, or learned of your strange ways," she said, slipping her spear back into its scabbard on her back. Even without the weapon, she was sure she could defend herself. She pulled down her scarf, revealing the youthful, beautiful face of a Wood Elf. "I am Alnessa'Elbrani, of High Forest," she said, a fist to her heart and a bow to her head. "I am looking for the half-human Savra. She may be connected to the disappearance of human homesteaders who were allies of my clan. Last I heard, she was here."
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 366 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sat 18 Aug 2018
at 16:41
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak raised an eyebrow as the person sneezed and then burst in on them with a spear. He turned to look at them but otherwise didn't react. There was only one of them, after all, and many of his group. He shook his head as the others explained.

He smirked. "Yeah, she was here last we knew, too - but 'parently not any more." He raised an eyebrow at her again. "Uh huh." Pause. "Half-human, huh? Nice." The tone of his words made it clear he didn't think it was nice at all.

He paused ."Hey, how'd you get in here? Just curious since we may have security issues with this place still."
Alnessa'Elbrani
 player, 6 posts
 Wood Elf
 Monk
Sat 18 Aug 2018
at 20:19
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Yes, half-human. An Elf with human blood. Is that not what they are called in human languages?" Alnessa said, raising an eyebrow of her own. These humans were so strange. Still. she persevered. Savra had been here, and perhaps these confusing humans, dwarves and half-humans would bring her to some answers. "How did I get in? I climbed," she answered simply, with a very human shrug.

She looked back at Mayon. "That is frustrating news, kinsman. I hoped she would have answers. Why did she leave? And why are you here? What happened to the original inhabitants?"

(OOC: I already know, so no need to write a summary. Someone can just write something like "He/She explained what had happened" and I'll be fine.)
DM
 GM, 1114 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 19 Aug 2018
at 20:47
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano studies the letter recovered from Thurl's chamber, and looks up at mention of Savra. "I think Savra got in over her head here," Asano muses. "She hoped to somehow find a weapon, or allies, against Bastian Thermandar. But from her comments and actions I think she found herself helping with things she should not have been doing..."

The half-elf holds out the parchment in his hand. "This letter mentions recovery of prisoners from the Black Earth cult, the monks in the Sacred Stone monastery. Those prisoners could have been captured from anywhere, presumably, but something..." He trails off. "Savra told me that she had seen some members of the Mirabar delegation and that Elessina was among them." A pained expression crosses his face, and he continues quickly. "I wonder if the captives from the letter had any connection with the missing delegation? If so, Elessina might be among them. And they may be prisoners of the Air Cult."
DM
 GM, 1115 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 20 Aug 2018
at 15:48
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Huet looks uncomfortable during the discussion of Savra, but says nothing. Eventually he moves to the window and looks out on the valley below.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 368 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 20 Aug 2018
at 17:44
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak smirked at the elf and restrained himself shaking his head again. The elf seemed a bit...snobby? Elitist? Maybe a touch racist? But that could all be perception, or misperception on his part. After all, humans were the ones who had likely created the term 'half-elf' but he didn't know for sure. "I've always heard humans an' elves both call 'em 'half-elves' personally." He shrugged his shoulders.

She climbed in? That...seemed intense. She must be one hell of a climber.

To Asano's words he frowned slightly. "Wait...these guys here recovered prisoners from those monks, an' they might've been part o'the missin' delegation?" He looked around. "We didn't find any prisoners here. Dunno who this 'Air Cult' is though..." One eyebrow went up and he looked annoyed. "ANOTHER group we gotta deal with? Man. No rest for the wicked."
Zora Jilkina
 player, 255 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Mon 20 Aug 2018
at 18:55
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"If the feathergale knights weren't an air cult, I don't know what is," she muttered angrily. She looked at Huet looking uncomfortable in the corner.

"You! knight. What do you know of air cults? And of Savra's mission?"




12:55, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 14 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 8.  insight on huet, is he hiding something?

Alnessa'Elbrani
 player, 7 posts
 Wood Elf
 Monk
Mon 20 Aug 2018
at 20:59
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Perhaps we will have a chance to debate the finer points of the Elven language, but not now," Alnessa shrugged to the tenacious human. To be called Half-Elf seemed distasteful. Why diminish the better half?

She turned her attention to the brooding knight, and though she only half-understood what was happening, she too joined in the chorus with the pretty human. "Yes! Answer her questions! Where is Savra? I will not stop my hunt until she answers for her..."

She trailed off. Crimes? She wasn't sure if any crime had been committed.

"...Absence!"
DM
 GM, 1116 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 21 Aug 2018
at 20:12
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano shrugs. "It stands to reason they are a cult. They fight against the Earth Cult we discovered at the monastery. Savra said they sought to master elemental air. They have some rather extreme ceremonies - such as threatening their guests with being thrown off the top of their tower." He shrugs again. "Sounded like a cult to me."

Huet scowls at Zora, Alnessa, and Asano in turn. "We are - or perhaps were - a group of flying enthusiasts, hunters, sportsmen and women, and protectors of the valley. Many of us came from Waterdeep and are fine upstanding citizens of that city."

His haughty tone falters after a moment, and his shoulders slump. "Whilst time went on, I began to have my suspicious that not all was as it seemed. Thurl met on occasion with other groups, and he was sometimes secretive about what those groups wanted and what they would ask of us. Some of our rituals were indeed extreme, more than merely passing strange. I suppose the leadership of the group could have been wrapped up in a cult after all."

He mops his brow in the heat radiating from the stone. "Savra did speak of attacking that group to the northeast of here, associated with Bastian Thermandar, but Thurl always redirected her towards other targets, never quite saying no to her. I suspecteth he never would have attacked them despite Savra's belief that he would, once we had gained enough power. I think now her plan is to find some other way to get at Thermandar, and she's left to find it. And probably she feeleth some shame in her actions, which spurred her to leave suddenly."

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:36, Tue 21 Aug 2018.

Zora Jilkina
 player, 256 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 03:39
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"That's not all you were," she scowled at the knight as she listened to his story. She could tell there was more to what he was saying.

"You need to tell us everything. No holding back. Thurl is gone and you WERE serving a cult! You need to make a clean break from that and redeem yourself good knight."

I've got nothing for charisma skills, but insight? He's not telling us everything. Someone want to browbeat him more effectively than me?

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 369 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 15:06
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak made some gestures with his hands towards Zora as if to say 'calm down' or 'okay, okay, hang on'. But with his back to Suet, he gave her a wink. Then he turned to the knight with a concerned frown on his face. He lowered his voice a bit, but not enough so his companions couldn't hear him if they wanted to.

"Look. Huet. We've all been through quite a lot lately. It's been beyond rough, honestly. Some of us," He deliberately didn't look around at any of his companions, "are a bit cranky an' agitated...an' I know you're tryin' t'be helpful here, but if there's anythin' more you could tell us, somethin' important that might..." He put up a hand to say the next bit behind as if a secret between just the two of them, though he didn't lower his voice, "placate others...that would be very much appreciated." He winked at the knight. "I mean, I have t'travel with these people, y'unnerstand. You'd really be doin' me a solid here."

09:00, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 18 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 12.  Persuasion.
DM
 GM, 1117 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 23:30
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Huet sighs, then reluctantly begins. "Mayhap there are some other bits of knowledge I can pass along. The - group - nameth themselves the Howling Hatred. Verily, Asano is right, its members dedicate themselves to harnessing the destructive powers of wind and storm. Wind can be a powerful ally." Huet's eyes gleam. "Channeled properly, it can express your innermost desires, gain you things wrongfully denied, e'en punish those who have wronged you."

Seemingly freed of his reticence, Huet continues eagerly on. "The Howling Hatred is ledeth by our prophet and queen, Aerisi Kalinoth, and we are her loyal subjects. Ne'er have I met her, yet I am betold that musicians and courtiers come from far and wide to flatter and amuse her."

Huet pauses again, a little abashed at his excitement. "I am told she is very formidable, and that she bears a divine token as a weapon - a mighty spear. She dwells within a temple devoted to elemental air, and that temple is heavily guarded. I would not recommend making an enemy of her. Her skill with the spear - and her anger - ar't formidable indeed."

Huet turns to Alnessa. "Savra did participate in the raids, along with the other knights. There may have been one as far distant as the High Forest, I suppose, though I heard not a word from her of enmity towards the elves. Always from her it was plans to attack the fire-worshippers." Huet peers at Jak, Zora, and the rest, his face a question. "Dost thou now haveth the information ye seek?"


It's clear this is all Huet will volunteer on his own, but if you have other specific questions ask away!

Zora Jilkina
 player, 257 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Fri 24 Aug 2018
at 16:22
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
She shrugged and replied, "Thank you for being open with us. It seems we have a bigger problem than we thought. Though it seems approaching Kalinoth and The Howling Hatred in their temple is too much for us right now."

"I have my own problems with Shatterkeel and Quanderil. If no one has any more pressing suggestion, I say we travel to Womford and track them down. There may be clues to your missing delegation along the way."

She turned again to Huet and asked, "about this delegation. Have you any knowledge of them? What happened to them? I think Thurl did, perhaps you overheard something?"

OOC: Did we search Thurl's office thoroughly?
Morg Danforge
 player, 559 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Fri 24 Aug 2018
at 17:20
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg nods as Zora speaks, "If it's even possible the Mirabar delegation's been captured and there are still members alive as prisoners - then I think we have to go look in Womford."
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 373 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 04:48
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak smiled at Huet. "Thanks, Huet. I think that's good. You've been a solid ally, an' comin' from the Feathergale Knight ranks, that's sayin' somethin'!" He offered his hand to shake.

Then to Zora and Morg he gave a nod. "Yeah, I'd like t'try an' find the missin' delegates if we could." He gave a shrug and frowned. "Womford? Sure. Okay. Can I take Sharpwind?"
DM
 GM, 1124 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 21:49
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Huet looks regretful. "I was not part of the raiding party that intercepted them, but I have overheard conversations. Methinks that the earth cult did attack the Mirabar delegation. We Knights did attack them in turn on their way back to their lair, and we recovered several of the Mirabar delegation in that raid. Methinks the dead may be buried to the south of here, wherest I did first encounter some of you and did slay the remains of an ogre."

You did search Thurl's office thoroughly =)

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:50, Thu 30 Aug 2018.

Findarion
 player, 3 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Fri 31 Aug 2018
at 12:26
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The discussion is interrupted with a bell ring. Someone is trying to get into the Spire.
DM
 GM, 1126 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 2 Sep 2018
at 01:57
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Though the bell rings from beyond the twenty foot gap between the ledge and drawbridge to Feathergale Spire, its clarion call clearly reaches the second floor where the group stands discussing plans.


I will assume the prior day's riches are distributed as previously discussed, unless anyone posts alternative plans.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 498 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sun 2 Sep 2018
at 03:25
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Mayon jolted at the sound, glancing in the direction of the front entrance.  He murmured softly to the sprite on his shoulder, which nodded and turned invisible, going to scout out their new arrival.
Findarion
 player, 4 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sun 2 Sep 2018
at 10:37
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
A tall figure in dark cloak stands near the drawbridge, watching the spire in silence. The hood fails to conceal two long, pointy ears.

Absent-mindedly, they fiddle with a coin in one hand. The gold piece weaves in and out of sight in a practiced sleight of hand show.
DM
 GM, 1127 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 2 Sep 2018
at 17:53
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Myr moves quickly out the window to observe the figure on the other side of the gap. The figure's head moves slightly in Myr's direction.
Findarion
 player, 6 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Mon 3 Sep 2018
at 16:26
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
After a few seconds the newcomer sighs and stops fiddling with the coin.

"Invisible is not imperceptible. Now, will you lower the drawbridge or continue to be rude?"
Morg Danforge
 player, 563 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Tue 4 Sep 2018
at 10:46
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
While waiting on Mayon's scout, Morg turns to Huet, "Were any of the recovered delegation still alive, and if so do you know where they could be now?"
DM
 GM, 1130 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 00:44
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"If any did remain alive, they were likely taken to the Temple of Howling Hatred," Huet replies.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 374 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 05:04
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak moved to the window and called down in his best arrogant knight voice. "Halt!" Even though he clearly already had. "Who goes there? State your name and business or be turned away!" He leaned back slightly and turned his face towards his companions to let out a little giggle that was definitely not knight-like. He had barely stopped himself from giving some long-winded and/or flowery language about what this place was that the person had approached. Instead he simply waited for the response.
Findarion
 player, 7 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 10:13
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"A weary traveller by the name of Findarion... Looking for answers to a few questions." The man answers cautiously in a melodic voice, turning towards Jak.

He shifts back a little and stopped playing with the coin, asking with a bit of hesitation. "...What is it that has you so amused?"
Morg Danforge
 player, 564 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 10:27
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg looks Huet over. "I think one of the stone monastery monks said you lot were the Howling Hatred, so where's this air temple?"
12:25, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 11 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 10.  Insight check on Huet, to see if he's being honest.
DM
 GM, 1132 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 21:00
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Huet looks at Morg warily. "There are'est a few ways in and out, I understand. The one I know of lies below, in the Sighing Valley." He points out the window to the swirling mists below the tower, to the east.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 375 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 21:29
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak looked back down at the person for a moment in silence, mirth gone. "One moment."

To his companions he quietly asked while facing away from the window, "Whaddya think? Should we let 'im in? Ask his questions from our current position? Tell 'im t'piss off?" He raised an eyebrow. "I mean, it's not really our place anyway. Or are we plannin' on makin' a home here? It's got a stable already set up for Sharpwind, which is nice."
Zora Jilkina
 player, 261 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Thu 6 Sep 2018
at 03:23
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"I'm always willing to listen. Let's be nice. Until it turns out there's a reason to not be nice?"
Mayon Graycross
 player, 499 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Thu 6 Sep 2018
at 15:43
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"I don't see a reason not to let him in, myself." Mayon said, snapping his fingers to recall  Myr and shaking his head faintly. "Though this place has certainly gotten popular."
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 376 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 6 Sep 2018
at 18:47
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak gave a slight raise of his shoulders to indicate a shrug. He turned back to look down and called down to the person. "It has been decided that we shall grant you a brief audience. It will take a moment, but we are coming down." He moved away from the window and idly thought about taking Sharpwind down to 'meet' the new arrival and see if he pooped his pants. He thought better of it and just headed down to open the door.
DM
 GM, 1133 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 6 Sep 2018
at 22:42
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The drawbridge lowers to a rest near Findarion's feet.
Findarion
 player, 8 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Fri 7 Sep 2018
at 12:27
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Splendid. Now, would you mind telling me, first and foremost, what is this spire?" Findarion replies more jovially, taking off his hood to reveal a youthful elven face with quite the ears, long and sharp like a dagger. "I saw it from miles away. Stands out from the environment, it does."
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 377 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Fri 7 Sep 2018
at 23:18
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak  "Wellllll...up until yesterday it was called Feathergale Spire." He paused and scratched his chin, looking thoughtful. "I'm not sure if we're gonna re-name it. Heck, I'm not sure if we're gonna continue t'stay here actually. We've been discussin' it."

His head tilted to the side. "Oh. Right. I'm Jakrynn Redgate." He paused again and one eyebrow rose. "So. You saw the spire an' just...came t'investigate it? That's why you're here?"
Findarion
 player, 10 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sat 8 Sep 2018
at 11:11
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Stopping midway, the elf asks. "...What happened yesterday? Who are you?" He glances at the gathered crowd.

"I'm Findarion, and yes, I came to investigate, hoping to find answers... I'm looking for a particular group of people, who have something very dear to me."

DM
 GM, 1135 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 10 Sep 2018
at 00:47
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
As the group stands on either side of the drawbridge a sudden rainstorm breaks the heat of the day. Within minutes the sky darkens and the temperature drops to more comfortable levels.

A brief glance around reveals that Alnessa has disappeared as quickly as she appeared. The pathway that leads along the western edge of the Sighing Valley appears to have a small cloud of dust at the edge of sight to the north, as if one or more people are approaching.


Alnessa has left us, unfortunately. I'll be seeking a replacement in due time. Recommendations welcome!

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:53, Mon 10 Sept 2018.

DM
 GM, 1136 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 00:38
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Who or whatever is approaching from the north is approaching quickly. A cloud of mist and dirt shrouds it, swirling in the morning sun.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 378 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 03:00
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jakrynn gave a slow shrug and spread his hands. "We cleaned house. The people who used t'live here were asshole murders an' pyschopaths claimin' t'be Knights, forced  us t'go attack others, tried t'burn us t'death in our sleep when we didn't want t'join up - generally all-around nice guys."

His head tilted to the side. "Toldja'lready. I'm Jakrynn. Bard an' adventurer!" His eyes narrowed slightly. "What group'a people y'lookin' for, an' whatta they got o'yours?"

Then his attention was drawn to the north. "Huh. Guess who's comin' t'dinner..." He began stepping back inside and shutting the place up once more. "Come in if you're comin' in, cause we're closin'!"
Findarion
 player, 11 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 07:37
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
With but a moment of hesitation Findarion heads inside.

"I suppose I should be happy I arrived here after your 'cleaning', if what you say is true." he remarks. "Well, let us see who has arrived."
DM
 GM, 1137 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 12 Sep 2018
at 02:18
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
As the group approaches, their forms become more distinct through the haze and dust. Three large, dark, canine forms approach the far side of the lowered drawbridge, moving quickly along the trail.
Morg Danforge
 player, 565 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Wed 12 Sep 2018
at 21:29
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"I was going to suggest we go eastwards to this Temple of Howling Hatred," Morg says, narrowing his eyes at the canines, "but if those things are Worgs, then I'd rather make sure they don't get into the spire. Or anywhere else for that matter."
DM
 GM, 1138 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 13 Sep 2018
at 02:10
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The hounds reach the far side of the drawbridge and slow to a stop, their red eyes glinting in the misty air. Steam rises from their nostrils from the exertion of their run, and hard muscles tense beneath jet black fur. They paw restively at the earth as they stare warily into the front hall at the group assembled there.
Morg Danforge
 player, 566 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Thu 13 Sep 2018
at 12:15
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg backs up a bit, asking the rest of the party "Are those worgs?"

14:11, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 4 using 1d20 with rolls of 4.  Nature/Arcana/History check to ID the red eyed, black hounds.
DM
 GM, 1140 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 13 Sep 2018
at 21:13
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The beasts stare hungrily at the party as the drawbridge goes up and Jak closes the heavy wooden doors.


Morg doesn't have a clue what these beasts are, though they all look large and powerful.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:14, Thu 13 Sept 2018.

Findarion
 player, 12 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Fri 14 Sep 2018
at 10:05
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"The day turns out to be interesting..."

12:04, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 16 using 1d20 with rolls of 16.  What are these? +3, +5 if history.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 380 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Fri 14 Sep 2018
at 13:56
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak stepped back from Findarion so as to not hurt his ears and then yelled up towards the rest of those in the Spire. "OY! You lot upstairs! We got an uninvited guest t'meet an' some....hounds?...or somethin' just outside." He paused and then called up a question, "Anybody able t'talk with dogs??" He let out a chuckle. It was possible, but he knew he couldn't actually speak with them himself aside from the "Who's a good boy?" sort of thing and that seemed unlikely to work here.

He tried to find a vantage point where he could see and call out to the dogs nearby just in case.
DM
 GM, 1141 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 14 Sep 2018
at 16:16
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The Spire seems quiet, though a glance through the windows near the main entrance shows that the hounds remain on the other side of the raised drawbridge.
Findarion
 player, 13 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Fri 14 Sep 2018
at 16:19
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Hellhounds. The name describes them well. I may have seen them from a distance on my way here... They're quite capable trackers."
Morg Danforge
 player, 567 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Fri 14 Sep 2018
at 16:47
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Are they devils, or just named that way?" Morg says, struggling to look at the hounds thru any windows or balistraria.

"Are they here tracking you Mr. Findahion?"
Findarion
 player, 14 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Fri 14 Sep 2018
at 16:52
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Not sure. I know they are fiends. And no, they aren't tracking me as far as I know. Are they tracking one of you?"
Morg Danforge
 player, 568 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Fri 14 Sep 2018
at 17:14
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"I try not to aggravate fiends, so I don't think they're here for me." Morg says, and then, smiling at the bard "I can't speak for Jak tho."

He makes a little bow to the new elf, "The names Morg Danforge."
Mayon Graycross
 player, 500 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Fri 14 Sep 2018
at 17:39
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"As far as I know they're not looking for us. Perhaps they were sent to target the previous residents." Mayon says, frowning and looking out the window. He glances over briefly at Findarion. "Ah, Mayon, by the way. Mayon Graycross. And Myr." He motions to the now visible sprite beside him, which is still scowling over having been noted.
Findarion
 player, 15 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sat 15 Sep 2018
at 12:01
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion winks at the sprite.

"Well, I have a suspicion... You know anything about the fire cultists? I managed to narrow my search to this approximate area. The hellhounds might be with them." Realization strikes him. "Which might mean they are tracking me, after all."
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 381 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sun 16 Sep 2018
at 00:40
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak looked surprised and then mildly offended, hamming it up with appropriate exaggeration for a moment of course, at Morg's words. "HEY! I resemble that remark! Actually...I've not had anythin' t'do with fiends that I know."

He shivered slightly when informed they were hellhounds. "Don't like the looks of 'em. Should we kill 'em?" A long pause. "....how do we kill 'em? I mean, are they kind of just tougher, meaner, fire-breathin' dogs?"

He looked over at Findarion. "Of course they're trackin' you. They were hot on your heels!" He glanced at Morg with a slight chuckle and 'did you hear what I did there' sort of face. Then he sobered and shrugged. "You met us, didn't you? We're trouble magnets, so it's not like....wait Fire Cultists? Damn! What is it with all these cultists of an elemental nature??"
Findarion
 player, 16 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sun 16 Sep 2018
at 09:29
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
A short chuckle was quickly stifled as Jak expressed surprise. "You mean there is more of these rascals, AND you don't know anything? Just great, then." The elf rolled his eyes, sighing and leaning against the wall.

"Well, what do you know of the other elemental cults then? My best chance seems to be to get to the fire cult through the other three elements, somehow."
Mayon Graycross
 player, 501 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sun 16 Sep 2018
at 17:53
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Well, there was a base of sorts for the Air Cult here, under the guise of knights from Waterdeep. They seem to have others elsewhere based on a letter we found, but we cleared out the ones here. There's a monastery that belongs to the Earth Cult, members wear stone masks." Mayon says, still eyeing the Hellhounds warily.

"Mind if I ask why exactly why a bunch of fire cultists are hunting you? We haven't really encountered them thus far."
Findarion
 player, 17 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sun 16 Sep 2018
at 21:28
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion seems to hesitate for a moment before opening up a bit to these strangers with similar distaste for elemental cultists.

"Kidnapping, Mayon, they kidnapped my brother. Messed with the wrong elf, is all I have to say."
Zora Jilkina
 player, 264 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Wed 19 Sep 2018
at 21:56
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Zora," she finally introduced herself to their new companion, roused from her thoughts. "And kidnapping is a serious problem. she moved forward to defend her group from the hounds.
DM
 GM, 1145 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 21 Sep 2018
at 00:44
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
After several minutes, the hellhounds slink way into the surrounding hills.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 383 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Fri 21 Sep 2018
at 06:06
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak watched outside and then leaned back in slowly. "Huh." He scratched his chin. "Suppose we caught a break an' they got bored? Or more like our luck's been goin' an' they're off t'get reinforcements?"

He let out a sigh, figuring it was likely the latter. "A'right. So. Do we go help this person who just showed up chased by hellhounds with a kidnapped siblin' story?" He grinned widely. While his tone was a bit flippant, he sounded ready to go do just that.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:06, Fri 21 Sept 2018.

Findarion
 player, 19 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Fri 21 Sep 2018
at 10:33
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion's keen eyes follow the hellhounds as they hide in the hills. His face was slowly singing while they had the conversation, losing its cheer.

"Somehow I doubt it is the last we've seen of these... I suppose we should be grateful they got bored quickly." He chuckled dryly.

"Well, it would be quite weird that the elemental cults were NOT connected with each other. Have you searched this place thoroughly?"


I'd like to give this place a good shakedown for clues to whereabouts of the Fire Cult.
DM
 GM, 1146 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 21 Sep 2018
at 21:26
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Huet clears his throat. "The fire cult hath some sort of a camp to the northeast of here, in the heart of the Sumber Hills. I canst describe its location for you, though you mayhaps find it easily by following the smoke. I willn't accompany you there if you decide to go."

Huet describes the distances a bit more precisely, and I've marked its rough location on the The Dessarin Valley map.

Zora Jilkina
 player, 265 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Fri 21 Sep 2018
at 22:42
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Oh I think they're connected. Given our experience with the knights and the earth priests I think they're all at war with each other. "

She watched the hounds go with a frown. "It's probably best to chase them down, deal with them alone before they show up when we're engaged with something else, no?"
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 384 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sat 22 Sep 2018
at 17:44
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak gave a shrug and nodded at Zora. "Sure! Why not? My day's free thus far." He winked at Morg, "So many cultists, so little time." He let out a chuckle and then stopped suddenly, looking back at Zora.

"Aw, do we have to?" He let out a sigh. "Bleh. Fine. Do we have someone good at trackin'?"
Findarion
 player, 20 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sun 23 Sep 2018
at 06:27
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Some good news at last, thank you!" Findarion nods at Huet. "Who would you be, sir?"

He turns towards the window, watching the surrounding hills. "I am not the best at tracking, but I'm fairly good at spotting." He winks at the sprite.
Morg Danforge
 player, 570 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Sun 23 Sep 2018
at 08:41
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"I'm not fast enough to catch the hounds" Morg says, and looking at Jak, "and I'd rather not fall off some flying thing; but I'd like to go east anyway towards this air cult temple to look for any remaining delegation hostages."

"So, a thoro search here, then east to the smokey camp, and farther east to the air temple?"

DM
 GM, 1147 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 23 Sep 2018
at 15:47
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Huet bows formally to Findarion. "I am Huet, Feathergale Knight and acquaintance of this band of - cult hunters." His cultured voice takes on an edge as he pronounces the word 'cult'.

"Master dwarf, a slight correction to your geography," Huet says carefully to Morg, sketching an invisible map into the flagstones of the entrance hall with his sword tip. "The nearest entrance to the Temple of Howling Hatred lyeth on the far side of the Sighing Valley just below us, thus." He taps an imaginary point not far from his indication of the location of the Spire. "Though I have not visited the temple, I understandeth that the stair down to it lies in Knifepoint Gully, from whence the Lost River originates. I advise you again to steer clear of the Temple - Aerisi Kalinoth is not said to suffer intruders gladly."

"The camp with fire cultists is beyond the Sighing Valley, in the heart of the Sumber Hills."
He moves the tip of his sword a couple of flagstones to his right.


It's a little confusing, but the Sighing Valley is the steep-sided misty location where Feathergale Spire is located, and where you are now. It lies within the Sumber Hills region, which is much larger.

See maps of Feathergale Spire & Sighing Valley and The Dessarin Valley for reference to locations.

Hope that helps!


Mayon Graycross
 player, 502 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sun 23 Sep 2018
at 15:54
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"The camp seems to be our best bet. If  nothing else it's close and on the way to anything else that we may have planned." Mayon remarks with a nod.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 385 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sun 23 Sep 2018
at 15:56
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak listened to Huet and gave a nod. That seemed to make sense. He tilted his head to Morg and  glanced at Mayon and shrugged but with a grin. "That sounds best. Fire cult camp it is. Hmm, Fire Cult Camp. Try sayin' that 3 times fast."

He then lit up. "I'll catch up!" He took off upstairs at a run, heading to grab his stuff but then angling to get Sharpwind ready to go. "Hey there girl! Ready to stretch your legs and wings?"

This message was last edited by the player at 15:58, Sun 23 Sept 2018.

Zora Jilkina
 player, 266 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Mon 24 Sep 2018
at 22:22
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"I see your point," she smiled and looked down at Morg's short legs. "Perhaps running down hell hounds isn't in our future, with your gait and my heavy armor. Let's head to the camp. Lead on, friend dwarf!"
DM
 GM, 1148 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 25 Sep 2018
at 01:04
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Lowering the drawbridge, the group crosses the short gap to the far side, then starts heading into the heart of the Sumber Hills, skirting the edge of the misty Sighing Valley. After several miles Huet and Asano announce that they are leaving the group to pursue Savra, who disappeared from the tower the day before, after her rescue.

Farewells exchanged, the remainder of the party continues nearly due east, struggling through the rough hills of the region. A cool breeze rises in the air, and clouds roll in as the group trudges along. The temperature drops, and a light drizzle turns the footing slippery. Still, the group makes steady progress.

Difficult as it is to tell the time of day through the clouds above, the party estimates it as early afternoon when they first become aware of a smoky odor. As they move forward, the misty air thickens with smoke. After some time a tall hill becomes visible in the distance.

Visible through the haze that covers the hill is a square tower ringed by ruined walls. In front of the tower burns a bonfire shaped like a fiery giant. Scattered on the slope below the tower are seven bonfires with tents clustered around them. Humanoid figures huddle near these closer fires. A trail leads up to these hillside encampments.

This whole area is lightly obscured. In a lightly obscured area, such as dim light, patchy fog, or moderate foliage, creatures have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight. Exception: if you have darkvision you can see up to 60' away as if it were bright light.


Findarion
 player, 22 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Tue 25 Sep 2018
at 12:32
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Well, well. This is it." Findarion takes a comfortable position and peers through the dim environments.

"How do you usually approach... things? I prefer stealth."

Findarion is looking for a way to the tower, any section of the ruined walls that would be easy to climb?

A path between the scattered encampments that would give him an opportunity to approach stealthily?

DM
 GM, 1150 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 25 Sep 2018
at 23:15
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Peering through the haze, Findarion can see rough paths through the rocky terrain between the various campfires on this side of the hillside. The camps are dispersed around various places below the tower at the top of the hill, all with a good view of the giant bonfire.

Though the terrain is rough, the slopes farther away from the camps do seem gradual enough to climb, though there is precious little cover aside from the smoky air. The backside of the hillside isn't visible from the party's present location.

The tower itself is ringed with walls in various stages of disrepair.


Map updated - see maps thread or here: Fire Camp. It's a little small at the moment, but should give you a high-level visual of the hillside. Don't worry if you can't see the coordinates; if it becomes relevant I'll post a zoomed-in version.




This message was last edited by the GM at 23:29, Tue 25 Sept 2018.

Zora Jilkina
 player, 267 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Wed 26 Sep 2018
at 03:44
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Stealth is not really my strong point," Zora grumbled, clanking around in her heavy armor. "Not sure there's a much better option. We can go tent by tent, or sneak around to get close to the tower itself. A familiar scouting out ahead might be helpful."
Morg Danforge
 player, 571 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Wed 26 Sep 2018
at 08:27
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Should we try to scout out the other side, keeping our distance while watching out for the hellhounds?"

Turning to Findarion, he says "Any chance there's a way to discuss the release of your brother? What's his name, and why was he kidnapped?"
10:26, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 2 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 1.  Insight check on Findarion about anything he says about his brother, and the fire cult.
Zora Jilkina
 player, 268 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Wed 26 Sep 2018
at 21:08
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Agreed. Let's stay far out, I clank like a kitchen at dinner in this armor."

Morg, Findarion has this lovely bridge he'd like to sell you.
Findarion
 player, 23 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Wed 26 Sep 2018
at 21:42
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"If I had to guess, ransom. But they have not sent any demands yet, as far as I know... And Morg, the last thing I want is to deal with suspicious scoundrels.

My brother's name is Merellien."

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 387 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 27 Sep 2018
at 03:56
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jakrynn flew out on the griffon mount Sharpwind. He stayed aloft and tried to keep an long eyeview out for hellhounds as they traveled. When they approached the fire camp, he swung out wide in a lazy circle around the entire camp to see what was all around it - and if there were any good ways to get in or get to the tower without going through all the tent camps. He stayed a bit back to not only avoid being spotted, but also because there was so much smoke!

Once he'd finished his 'scouting', such as it was, he landed a bit away and bade Sharpwind to stay back from the camp. He didn't want her getting killed or eating any horses the fire camp may have.

He moved quietly up to the party and listened to what they had to say. "Wait, am I the only one good at sneakin'? That seems odd. I mean, we can't fight our way though EVERYTHIN' we come across." He gave a chuckle but then looked at Findarion. "How 'bout you? You stealthy?"
Findarion
 player, 25 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Thu 27 Sep 2018
at 08:40
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Yes, like I said it is my preferred approach."
Zora Jilkina
 player, 269 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Thu 27 Sep 2018
at 20:59
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"You boys go have fun, scout out the tower if you like. They're going to hear me coming a mile away, unless I go in naked which kind of defeats the purpose of heavy armor trainin'."
DM
 GM, 1153 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 28 Sep 2018
at 19:56
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak and Findarion circle around the hill warily. They find the back side of the hill to be steep yet climbable. There don't appear to be any fires or creatures on this side of the hill, and no movement is visible.

The light from the bonfire atop the hill casts the ruined walls and the tower in silhouette against the smoky air.


There doesn't seem to be anything stopping the group from climbing the backside of the hill. Let me know if that's the way you all want to go, if you want to split up, or do something else.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:57, Fri 28 Sept 2018.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 388 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sat 29 Sep 2018
at 16:11
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak reported back what he'd seen and raised an eyebrow at his more well-armored allies. "How about climbin'? Better at climbin' than sneakin'? The backside o'the hill is steep but we might could climb it."

He scratched his chin a bit in thought then shrugged. "I don't mind sneakin' in, but if we get in t'trouble, there's no way you'll be able t'help us. If we all climb t'gether, there's a chance we get caught or have problems, but we'd be all together, yeah?"
Zora Jilkina
 player, 271 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Sun 30 Sep 2018
at 03:36
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Zora encouraged Morg and anyone else to circle around the tower as well, but taking a much larger circle, so their lack of stealth wouldn't get anyone killed. They regrouped at the far side of the tower, she agreed with Jak.

Together is better, agreed. Ready to move in?"
DM
 GM, 1154 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 30 Sep 2018
at 16:11
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The group makes their way up the back side of the hill. Rough rocks and underbrush make the going arduous, though not difficult.

Approaching the summit, the half-ruined walls encircling the tower give way to rocky rubble, which continues in a circle around the hilltop. The tower comes into clearer focus through the haze as the party ascends. The tower itself looks none too sturdy. Wooden scaffolding brackets the tower on two sides.


I've placed you all most of the way up the backside of the hill (see map). Though you have a clear view of the tower and the top half of the bonfire beyond, from where you are you can't see anything at ground level around the base of the tower.

If you decide to move, it's easiest to refer to the map and post the coordinates of where you're moving to.


Morg Danforge
 player, 572 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Mon 1 Oct 2018
at 16:29
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg tiptoes past the deteriorating walls, keeping a lookout for guards and tall kidnapped elves.
18:27, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 7 using 2d20+1, dropping the highest dice only with rolls of 6,17.  Stealth check with disadvantage (from chain mail), moving towards tower.

Move: to AE6, either thru the deteriorating walls, or over if that's not possible.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:30, Mon 01 Oct 2018.

Zora Jilkina
 player, 272 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Mon 1 Oct 2018
at 20:46
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
OOC: Oh hell, well if Morg is rolling stealth, what the hell? I did the clicking wrong, but helpfully recorded all dice, so it's an 8 :-)

14:44, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 25 using 2d20 with rolls of 17,8.  strealth with disadvantage.


Zora moved with Morg, hoping at least if they got discovered they wouldn't finger their allies. She stealthed about as well as the dwarf did.
Findarion
 player, 27 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Mon 1 Oct 2018
at 20:58
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
While the heavily armored warriors were not too stealthy, for obvious reasons, Findarion was in his spirit. The elf moved with swiftness and grace, quietly approaching the scaffolding looking for the best way to climb it.

"My guess is..." he whispered, cautiously keeping an ear out for trouble, "...that my brother is in the tower. I don't see any other place where you could securely keep prisoners."


22:52, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 25 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 17.  Stealth

DM
 GM, 1156 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 2 Oct 2018
at 00:59
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Upon approaching the ruined walls, Findarion, Morg, and Zora can see the ground falls away sharply on the far side. The shallow pit is ringed with cut stones, as if it were once the basement of another structure.

Within the pit, two large hounds roam around a singular figure dressed in a dirty, dark breastplate. The man seems to be playing games with the beasts, which are recognizable as hellhounds. Wrestling a large stick out of their mouths, he throws it a few feet away. Instead of fetching the stick, one of the beasts belches forth a blast of flame that scorches the wood and incinerates it in an instant. Guffawing, the man steps back to drag another branch from a small pile behind him.

The hellhounds glance up at the new arrivals at the ruined rock wall, though they don't otherwise react to Morg, Findarion, and Zora's appearance - yet.


Map updated. Be advised there's a steep 7' drop beyond the wall here into the pit with the guard & hellhounds.

Morg Danforge
 player, 573 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Tue 2 Oct 2018
at 12:14
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg ducks, hoping to evade the breastplated figure's sight should it follow the hounds' glances.

He points to what would be the western corner of the scaffolding, and shrugs in a questioning manner.
Zora Jilkina
 player, 273 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Tue 2 Oct 2018
at 16:54
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Zora ducked with Morg. No reason to draw attention to themselves before they were ready.

She frowned at Morg's gesture with a confused look on her face, not sure what he was suggesting.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 391 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 2 Oct 2018
at 18:15
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak took a step and found that there was a rock in his shoe. "Ow!" He took his boot off and dumped it out, tapping it a few times to get the rock out of it. He glanced up and noticed his companions were already gone, moving up to the ruined walls. "Hey, wait up!"

He hurried to catch up to them, slipping a bit and almost falling over. "Whoops!" He caught himself and righted himself after a second. He looked around slowly and his lip curled up when he saw the hellhounds.

OOC: Moved up to the wall next to Findarion.
12:10, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 5 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 1.  Stealth.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:16, Tue 02 Oct 2018.

Morg Danforge
 player, 574 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 07:15
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg curves his arm, indicating going around the short wall he saw to the west connected to the tower. He then looks at Fin, uses his fingers in a spider-climbing-like way and points to his eyes, indicating possibly scrambling up and looking over the wall at the northwest corner.
DM
 GM, 1158 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 4 Oct 2018
at 00:37
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Halfway to the pile of wood, the man turns at the noise at the broken wall. "Who goes there?" he rasps, swiftly grabbing a crossbow from his back and aiming it up at the wall above the pit.


Map updated.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:06, Thu 04 Oct 2018.

Findarion
 player, 28 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Thu 4 Oct 2018
at 15:17
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Thinking quickly, Findarion creates an illusory sound of a bear. "ROAR!"

He quickly followed it up with the sound of said bear moving away from the tower.

Minor Illusion, twice.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 392 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 4 Oct 2018
at 17:25
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak started to think of what he could do to possibly resolve the situation. He opened his mouth but nearly crapped his pants when what sounded like a bear's roar went off right near him. He started and then froze solid as he heard it moving away. He held his breath as he watched the man with the dogs, mainly because he was still unfreezing slowly.
DM
 GM, 1159 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 5 Oct 2018
at 00:32
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Immediately, the hounds bolt for the side of the pit, scrambling up it and over the rocky remains of the outer wall.

Careening around towards the source of the noise, they suddenly stop, seeing nothing in the area. Their smoking snouts turns slowly towards the group overlooking the pit.

The man takes a few steps closer to the edge of the pit, then calls up again. "What you all playin' at up there? The show ain't on this side, go 'round the other side if yer here for the Rite. Otherwise I'll sick me dogs on yeh."



Map updated.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:32, Fri 05 Oct 2018.

Morg Danforge
 player, 576 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Fri 5 Oct 2018
at 08:38
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Round the other side." Morg says and nods to the man, and then starts walking westwards.
Move: towards V6.
Zora Jilkina
 player, 275 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Fri 5 Oct 2018
at 21:59
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Zora moved close in with Morg, ready to get discovered at any moment.




Also moving towards V6
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 393 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Fri 5 Oct 2018
at 22:06
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak made a low noise, his voice also becoming deeper and gruffer. "Sure, alright." He then turned towards the others with a wide-eyed look that said 'Wow, we got lucky'. He followed after them when they started moving.
Findarion
 player, 29 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sat 6 Oct 2018
at 12:03
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Slightly bewildered, the elf follows the group in silence, dismissing his illusions.
DM
 GM, 1161 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 6 Oct 2018
at 16:45
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The group moves away towards an offshoot of the broken wall, this one still in fairly good condition. The hellhounds follow slowly, keeping a watchful eye on the group from a distance.

Around the corner of the tower the scaffolding is more easily visible. Standing about thirty feet high, many walkways crisscross the structure about every seven feet up the wall. A rough-looking man walks slowly away from the group towards the front of the hill, then rounds the corner lazily. He holds a smoking lantern in one hand.

Partway down the western side of the hill, a lone dwarf is visible. A few of the campfires can be seen on the southern side, though the figures around them are too distant to make out.


Map updated. Where to now?

Findarion
 player, 31 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Mon 8 Oct 2018
at 13:36
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion plays along with the guard with hellhounds, moving around the tower as advised. He shares a concerned look with the rest of the party.
Morg Danforge
 player, 577 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Tue 9 Oct 2018
at 08:32
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg spots the handsome fellow to the west and nods [Language unknown:  "Esutan."]

He rounds the wall, keeping an eye out for the hellhounds.

Does Morg recognize Magdrak's uniform and shield symbol? Does Magdrak look like one of the fire camp cultists?

If Jak tries to climb the wall, Morg may try to distract the hounds.

Move: towards T5.

DM
 GM, 1165 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 9 Oct 2018
at 22:02
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The dwarf down the hill stands looking up at the tower, in front of a makeshift campsite. Even from a distance he seems quite tall for one of his kind. Through the smoky air his fair skin, short red hair, and hazel eyes appear washed out, and his features indistinct.  Facing up the hill, a shield with symbols resembling clasped hands and a silver pitcher emblazoned on its surface is driven into the ground nearby.


Morg can make a history check with advantage to recognize the symbols and/or Magdrak's uniform.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 397 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 9 Oct 2018
at 23:01
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak looked both ways before crossing, and then hopped up to the top of the wall. He walked closer to the scaffolding and hopped across to land nimbly on it. He looked around again to see if he had been noticed, before looking back at his allies to see if any of them were going to join him.

Wow.
17:00, Today: Secret Roll: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 20 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 17.  Acrobatics.

Findarion
 player, 33 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Tue 9 Oct 2018
at 23:23
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Reacting quickly to Jakrynn, Findarion attempts an illusory distraction in the form of the sound of stones rolling down upon the hellhounds. Quickly, he hops onto the scaffolding and tiptoes to a hiding spot.

Minor Illusion - sound of stones rolling down from above. Hope that's enough to distract the hounds for a second.

01:21, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 16 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 10.  Acrobatics.

Immediately going to try and hide after that.
01:18, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 14 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 6.  Stealth.

DM
 GM, 1166 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 10 Oct 2018
at 00:48
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Both hounds yelp and jump into the air at the sounds of the falling boulders. One of the beasts belches fire and runs around in place, searching for the source of the sound. The other, however, quickly recovers and latches its burning gaze onto the group, slowly advancing on Zora and the others.

Jak and Findarion nimbly leap to the top of the wall and darts forward to the lower level of the scaffolding, just beyond the corner of the wall. Apparently no one has noticed them.


Map updated.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:21, Sun 14 Oct 2018.

Morg Danforge
 player, 579 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Wed 10 Oct 2018
at 07:13
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg tries to stomp up some dust to distract the hounds from seeing Jak, but is himself startled at a rockfall somewhere.
09:05, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 17 using 2d20, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 17,15.  History check with advantage on Magdrak's uniform and shield symbol.
Zora Jilkina
 player, 278 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Wed 10 Oct 2018
at 22:33
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Zora moved to interpose herself between the hound and Findarion, intent on protecting her new ally. She's not attacking the hound, not yet.

"Git!" she shooed the hound off.
DM
 GM, 1167 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 11 Oct 2018
at 01:07
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The nearby hellhound's eyes blaze at Zora's approach, then it growls and moves to strike.

Map updated!

Findarion, Zora, Morg, Mayon, and Jak are up now before the hellhound(s) turn. Magdrak and Mayon's familiar Myr can post now too, and amend their posts after the hellhounds go if needed.

Round 1 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Findarion18 
Zora18Inspiration
Morg15 
Mayon15 
Jak12 
Hellhounds10 
Magdrak8 
Myr (sprite)5 

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:55, Thu 11 Oct 2018.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 399 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 11 Oct 2018
at 03:26
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak had turned back to look at his companions, to see if any would be following after him. Instead, he saw Findarion about ready to make a move when Zora 'interacted' with one of the hellhounds. And the hound went aggressive immediately.

Not wanting to give his position away with any loud spellcasting, he thought he would try something a bit different. He pulled out a dart, took aim and threw it at the hellhound. He immediately lost sight of the dart, and could clearly see it didn't hit the hound. "damnit!"

OOC: That was supposed to be dart, not dagger. Regardless...it missed. By a lot.
21:23, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 6,4 using d20+4,1d4+2 with rolls of 2,2.  Dagger throw at H1.

Morg Danforge
 player, 582 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Thu 11 Oct 2018
at 12:57
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg runs to the hound menacing Zora, and shouts "Down!"

He takes out his greatsword, and with the side swings down at the hound, trying to just knock it out and not to kill it.
Move: 25' to z5.

Action: knock-out attack on H1 (or if H1 is out, using a spear on another enemy) with greatsword - hits AC 21 for 12 slashing damage.

14:50, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 21 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 14.  Attack H1 with greatsword.
14:50, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 12 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 3,4.  Slashing damage to H1 from greatsword (reroll 1 or 2 once).

Zora Jilkina
 player, 279 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Thu 11 Oct 2018
at 22:37
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Zora for her part drew reszur and conjured her spiritual weapon, swinging at the pup with the spiritual weapon.



Hit AC 24 for 5. spiritual hammer summoned.
16:36, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 24 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 18.  spiritual weapon hit.
16:36, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 5 using 1d8+4 with rolls of 1.  damage.
Findarion
 player, 39 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sun 14 Oct 2018
at 15:19
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Well this went poorly..." Findarion mutters, mostly to himself, drawing the newly acquired longbow and striking a weak spot of the hound while it is engaged in melee with Zora. He ducks around the corner of the tower immediately after and looks down towards the camp. "Not long before the cultists find out." He says to Jak as he gives his surroundings a quick scan.


17:16, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 24 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 16.  Hide bonus action.

17:16, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 16 using 1d8+4+2d6 with rolls of 8,1,3.  Sneak Attack damage.

17:15, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 21 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 15.  Longbow on H1.

DM
 GM, 1172 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 14 Oct 2018
at 16:43
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
An arrow flies through the smoky air and sinks into the flesh of the nearest hellhound, prompting it to roar in pain. Both Zora and Morg draw steel, the cleric pausing in her attack to first cast a spell. Morg's massive blade and Zora's misty weapon both strike true.

Seeing its companion beset with foes, the second hellhound races to its side. The beasts both leap at Zora's chest, scratching at her armor and gnashing their teeth on the gaps in her armor. Both bites find flesh, and a blazing pain shoots through Zora's body as their jaws erupt in flame.


Mid round update! Map updated!

Magdrak and Myr are up now. Mayon (if you're still there!) can also post before the end of the round.

H2 runs up to Zora and attacks with bite - HIT for 4 piercing  and 6 fire.
H1 attacks Zora with bite - HIT for 4 piercing  and 9 fire.


This message was last edited by the GM at 02:53, Tue 16 Oct 2018.

Magdrak
 player, 3 posts
Mon 15 Oct 2018
at 01:43
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak was studying the cultists' camp when the noise of a skirmish reached him from nearby.  Turning his head, he saw a group battling with a pair of hellhounds.

He muttered to himself.  "What in the 'Fells do they think they're doing?"  He considered for a moment whether or not to help, before groaning and shaking his head.  He started moving toward the action, mumbling "... gonna be the death of me, and I don't even know 'em..."



Move 25' to R3

This message was last edited by the player at 18:32, Thu 25 Oct 2018.

DM
 GM, 1173 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 16 Oct 2018
at 01:22
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
One of the hounds goes down, pierced through the flank by an arrow from Findarion. Seeing this, the approaching man on the other side of the hill rushes forward, screaming incoherently, waving his flaming sword aloft.

The other hound sits back on its haunches, opening is jaws freakishly wide. A great gout of flame erupts from its maw, engulfing Morg and Zora.

Map updated!

Round 2 Summary:
Asano hangs out.

Findarion fires an arrow at H1 - HIT for 14 piercing. H1 is dead.

Zora uses her reaction from the previous round to use Wrath of the Storm on H2 - H2 SAVES. H2 takes 8 lightning. She attacks with Reszur - HIT for 8 piercing. She attacks with Spiritual Weapon - HIT for 8 force.

Morg steps up and attacks H2 with Menacing Attack - HIT for 13 slashing. H2 makes Wis save vs. fright - SAVE.

Mayon hangs out.

Jak casts V. Mockery vs. H2 - H2 SAVES.

Hellhounds
H2 uses Fire Breath, affecting Zora and Morg. Both must make Dex saves and take 21 fire on a failure (10 on a success).

Magdrak moves up.

Guardian approaches.

Round 2 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Asano22Inspiration
Findarion18 
Zora18Inspiration
Morg15 
Mayon15 
Jak12 
Hellhounds10 
Magdrak8 
Myr (sprite)5 
Guardian2 

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:58, Thu 25 Oct 2018.

Zora Jilkina
 player, 282 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Tue 16 Oct 2018
at 01:22
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
OOC: Ouch fire damage! I can handle the teeth, but the flames, yow! Nothing else to do buy swing away!

"Bad dog!" she cried as a bolt of lightning crashed into her first attacker, singeing him. She followed up with nasty swings of Rezsur while her spiritual hammer swung at him from behind.

Zora will use her reaction to use the tempest cleric ability to deal 2d8 (half on successful dex save) lightning damage to the first pooch that hits her. She'll use her channel divinity to make that damage maximal (so 8 on successful save, 16 on fail)

And then she'll swing at the wounded hellhound.

21:41, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 24 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 18.  attack with Rezsur.
21:41, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 18 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 12.  attack with spiritual weapon.
21:41, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 8 using 1d8+4 with rolls of 4.  spiritual weapon damage.
21:41, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 8 using 1d4+4 with rolls of 4.  Rezsur damage.




Morg Danforge
 player, 583 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Tue 16 Oct 2018
at 13:02
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Call off your hounds, or you won't have any." Morg shouts at the guardian.

He swings down again at the hound, snarling at it.
Action: knock-out attack on H1 (or if H1 is out, moving 5' to AA4 and attacking H2) with greatsword - hits AC 19 for 13 slashing damage.

14:52, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 19 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 12.  Attack H1 with greatsword.
14:52, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 10 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 3,2.  Slashing damage to H1 from greatsword (reroll 1 or 2 once).
14:53, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 3 using 1d6 with rolls of 3.  Rerolling the 2 slashing damage to H1.
14:53, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 2 using 1d8 with rolls of 2.  Menacing attack on H1 who must make a WIS save (DC 15) or be frightened.

Findarion
 player, 40 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Tue 16 Oct 2018
at 13:12
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"His shouting will soon bring us some company. Quick, let us be done with them!"

Findarion sends another arrow at the hellhound, then ducks behind the corner of the tower again.

Advantage from hiding.

15:11, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 29 using 2d20+6 with rolls of 14,9.  Longbow on H1.

Forgot drop lowest. 14+6=20 to hit.

15:11, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 14 using 1d8+4+2d6 with rolls of 8,1,1.

15:12, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 28 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 20.  Hide bonus action.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 401 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 17 Oct 2018
at 20:16
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak heard the hound's master coming after them and screaming. He let out a sigh. So much for the stealthy approach. He leaned forward from where he was standing and aimed his voice towards the nearest hellhound, though trying not to yell. "Hey pooch! Didja know the other hound gets better scraps'n you? Master must love 'em more!"

OOC: Vicious Mockery on Hellhound 1.
14:13, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 4 using 1d4 with rolls of 4.  Vicious Mockery damage.

DM
 GM, 1175 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 19 Oct 2018
at 00:31
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
One of the hounds goes down, pierced through the flank by an arrow from Findarion. Seeing this, the approaching man on the other side of the hill rushes forward, screaming incoherently, waving his flaming sword aloft.

The other hound sits back on its haunches, opening its jaws freakishly wide. A great gout of flame erupts from its maw, engulfing Morg and Zora.

Mid round update! Map updated.

Magdrak is up now, though Mayon (x2) and Asano can still take their turns this round.

H2 uses Fire Breath, affecting Zora and Morg. Both must make Dex saves (DC 12) and take 21 fire on a failure (10 on a success).


This message was last edited by the GM at 12:36, Fri 19 Oct 2018.

Morg Danforge
 player, 584 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 3sd8
Fri 19 Oct 2018
at 03:58
Re: Day 8 - A New Day

Even if Morg's save fails, he's still conscious right after the fire breath.

Is H2 frightened of Morg? If so, then it has disadvantage on ability checks and attack rolls while Morg's within its line of sight, and it can't willingly move closer to him, until the end of his next turn.

05:50, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 14 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 13.  Dexterity save against H2's fire breath.

Magdrak
 player, 5 posts
Sat 20 Oct 2018
at 02:29
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak continued moving closer to the remaining hellhound, now close enough to pull out a javelin and heave it.



Move 25' to W3.
Pull javelin and throw at hellhound.
22:27, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 20 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 14.  Attack with Javelin (STR-thrown).
22:27, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 10 using 1d6+4 with rolls of 6.  Damage with Javelin (STR-thrown). (Piercing)

DM
 GM, 1176 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 20 Oct 2018
at 17:03
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak's javelin pierces the still smoking maw of the hellhound, and the beast collapses.

"BURN!" the guard screams, racing across the hilltop to close with Morg and Zora.

Quick footsteps sound above Findarion and Jak's heads as another guard appears on the levels of scaffolding above them. A third guard appears on the far side of the tower. Both pull out heavy crossbows and fire them down towards the party.



Map updated! NOTE that G1 is a couple of levels above Jak and Findarion on the scaffolding.

Everyone is up now.

Round 2 Summary:
Asano hangs out.

Findarion attacks H1 - HIT for 14 piercing. H1 is dead.

Zora uses her reaction (previous round) to invoke Wrath of the Storm - H2 makes save and takes 8 lightning. She attacks with Reszur - HIT for 8 piercing. She attacks with Spiritual Weapon - HIT for 8 force.

Morg moves and attacks H2 with Menacing Attack - HIT for 13 slashing. H2 saves vs. fright.

Jak casts Vicious Mockery vs. H2 - H2 saves.

H2 uses Fire Breath, affecting Zora and Morg. Both must make Dex saves (DC 12) and take 21 fire on a failure (10 on a success). Morg saves and takes 10 fire .

Magdrak moves up the hill and throws a javelin at H2 - HIT for 10 piercing. H2 is dead.

Guardians
G doublemoves toward Morg and Zora
G1 fires a crossbow bolt at Magdrak - MISS.
G2 fires a crossbow bolt at Morg - MISS.

Round 3 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Asano22Inspiration
Findarion18 
Zora18Inspiration
Morg15 
Jak12 
Magdrak8 
Guardians2 

Morg Danforge
 player, 585 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 2sd8
Sat 20 Oct 2018
at 20:05
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"We didn't come here to... ugh," Morg says, but then flanks the screaming guard and lashes out with his sword "but we'll end it."
Move: 10' to AC5 (or if G is out, then 20' to AE5 to see G2).

Action: attack G (or G2 if G is out, with javelin1) with greatsword - hits AC 22 for 15 slashing (or 14 piercing).

21:46, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 22 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 15.  Attack G with greatsword (or G2 with javelin1).
21:47, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 8 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 1,2.  Slashing damage to G from greatsword (reroll 1 or 2 once) (or piercing G2 from javelin1).
21:48, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 10 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 4,1.  Rerolling slashing damage to G from greatsword.
21:49, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 5 using 1d8 with rolls of 5.  Menacing attack on G (or G2) who must make a WIS save (DC 15) or be frightened.

Zora Jilkina
 player, 284 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Mon 22 Oct 2018
at 21:16
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
OOC: Burned my inspiration to succeed at the save, took 10 fire damage. Think I'm still up.

Seeing herself and Morg badly burned by the flames, she looked around at what was left.

OOC: Holding an action for a sec until I hear if there's a reasonable chance to blow down the scaffolding with 'blast of wind'.
Findarion
 player, 44 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Wed 24 Oct 2018
at 11:03
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Hearing the commotion above him, the elf investigates the scaffolding briefly. He fired yet another arrow, this time at one of the guards, but he must've seen where they were coming from and dodges out of the way.

He whispers to Jak as he moved backwards: "I've an idea, take a couple steps back."

12:59, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 10 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 4.  Perception.
12:59, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 6 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 1.  Investigation.

13:01, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 13 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 5.  Stealth.

13:02, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 17 using 1d8+4+2d6 with rolls of 8,4,1. Damage.

13:02, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 12 using 2d20+6, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 3,6. To hit.

A round of terrible rolls, wow.

I move as far south as I can on the scaffolding.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:17, Wed 24 Oct 2018.

Zora Jilkina
 player, 285 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Wed 24 Oct 2018
at 19:02
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Zora could tell that the scaffolding had weak points and could be brought down, but had no idea how to do it. She focused instead on the guards. She focused on the closest guard on the scaffolding and commanded him to jump down. She sent her spiritual weapon against the guard Morg was fighting




Command: on G2 to 'jump'
Spiritual weapon hits AC 13 for 6

13:02, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 6 using 1d8+4 with rolls of 2.  damage if hit.

13:02, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 13 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 7.  spiritual weapon hit.


12:56, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 19 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 13.  perception on scaffolding.

12:57, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 1 using 1d20-1 with rolls of 2.  investigation on how to exploit it.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 443 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Wed 24 Oct 2018
at 19:51
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
After being abandoned by Huet mere days into their hunt, Asano retraced their steps to the Spire. Finding the rest of the group gone, he took his time in tracking the party...and not terribly well. As night fell once more, Asano found himself continuing to follow the path left by his companions. As he was tempted to find a defensible area to get some rest, his hal-elven ears pick up the sounds of combat from over a nearby hill. He shakes his wands loose, and hurries to investigate.

He can barely conatin his elation as he finds his companions. Somewhat dampening the mood are the monstrous hellhounds, recently slain, and the numerous guard engaging his friends in battle. He doesn't recognize the second dwqarf or the elf, but judges that they must be new companions, as they direct their attacks against the guards.

Asano concentrates for a moment, his focus glowing with an ephemeral purple light. The magic coalesces around the heads of the two scaffold-borne guards, as the magic sunk into each guard's head, their crossbows transformed into deadly, venomous creatures in their hands.







Action: Cast twinned phantasmal force on the crossbow guards (Int save DC 14, 3 psychic damage)
Move Action:
Bonus Action:


HP: 29/29 AC 12
Buffs/Debuffs:
Conditions:
Spells/SPs: 1st- 4/4 2nd 2/3, 2/4


Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 403 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 24 Oct 2018
at 21:54
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak called out, but sort of like in a stage whisper, to Zora. "C'mon Zora! You're awesome! Time t'shine!"

He stepped away from Findarion, about mid-way between the two guards above them. He leaned back a bit and hucked a dart up at one of them, trying to see if he could throw better than the last time he'd thrown one, just a minute ago.

Move to AB-8.
Bardic Inspiration to Zora.
Dart throw at G-2 (or G-1).

15:53, Today: Secret Roll: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 13,4 using d20+4,d4+2 with rolls of 9,2.  Dart throw.

Magdrak
 player, 6 posts
Thu 25 Oct 2018
at 18:54
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak moved to the dead hellhound and retrieved his javelin.  He then continued positioning himself to where he could see the sentries in the scaffolding above.



If picking up my javelin is a free action, then I'll move to AD4, otherwise I'll move to AA3.
DM
 GM, 1183 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 26 Oct 2018
at 00:17
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
At Asano's spell, one of the guards throws down his crossbow in apparent horror. Then at Zora's Command he leaps from the scaffolding, landing heavily on the ground. His fellow aims another bolt below, this time at Asano.

Still incoherent with rage, the nearby guard aims a blow at Morg. The blade strikes the dwarf just as its flames disappear.

Findarion and Zora can tell that both sides of the wooden scaffolding are quite dry, possibly from the heat emanating from the nearby bonfire. Looking at the structure from the inside, Findarion can see each level is supported by vertical beams that, if dislodged, could bring down an entire section of the structure.



Map updated!

Everyone is up now.

From Zora & Findarion's observations, it seems like a section of the scaffolding could be brought down by dislodging, removing, or severely damaging one of the few support beams on each level. Due to the "domino effect", the higher the level affected the more of the structure below it could fall.

Round 3 Summary:
Asano casts Phantasmal Force (Twinned) on G1 and G2. G1 saves, G2 FAILS and takes 3 psychic.

Findarion observes the scaffolding structure around him, then fires another arrow at G - MISS.

Zora saves from the hellhound fire from last round . Zora also observes the scaffolding structure. Her Spiritual Weapon attacks G - MISS. She casts Command - G2 FAILS save. G2 jumps and plummets to the ground and takes 7 bludgeoning. G2 is prone.

Morg circles G and attacks - HIT for 15 slashing.

Jak uses Bardic Inspiration on Zora. Zora has Bardic Inspiration and can add a d6 to any ability check, attack roll, or saving throw that she makes in the next 10 minutes. He throws a dart - MISS.

Magdrak double moves & retrieves his javelin.

Guardians
G attacks Morg twice - HIT once for 8 slashing .
G1 fires a crossbow bolt at Asano - HIT for 9 piercing .
G2 stands and approaches the wall.

Round 4 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Asano22Inspiration; Conc: P. Force
Findarion18 
Zora18B. Inspiration
Morg15 
Jak12 
Magdrak8 
Guardians2 

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:27, Fri 26 Oct 2018.

Morg Danforge
 player, 586 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 1sd8
Sat 27 Oct 2018
at 11:38
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg grits his teeth and steels himself, before continuing trading blows with the guardian.
Bonus action: 2nd wind - heals 6 HP.

(If G is out, then move into melee range with G2 if possible.)

Action: attack: G (or if G is out, then attack G2 instead (if can't get into melee then us javelin1, and only 1st d6)) with greatsword - hits AC 17 for 14 slashing damage (or 9 piercing damage with javelin1).

13:15, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 6 using 1d10+4 with rolls of 2.  HP recovered from second wind.
13:17, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 10 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 3.  Attack G with greatsword (or G2 with it or javelin1).
13:18, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 7 using 1d8 with rolls of 7.  Precision attack on G added to hit roll (or G2).
13:20, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 14 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 4,5.  Slashing damage to G from greatsword (reroll 1 or 2 once) (or G2).

This message was last edited by the player at 11:44, Sat 27 Oct 2018.

Findarion
 player, 48 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sat 27 Oct 2018
at 12:36
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
After realizing how shoddy the construction was, Findarion couldn't help but chuckle. "Watch this." He boasted to Jak, notching an arrow. Findarion leaned to the side and fired at one of the supports, the arrow hitting the weak spot perfectly.

14:34, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 26 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 20.  Shoot the supports!

This message was last edited by the player at 12:36, Sat 27 Oct 2018.

Zora Jilkina
 player, 286 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Mon 29 Oct 2018
at 16:30
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Not wanting to waste her inspiration, Zora took a step forward and tried to finish off the guard with her spiritual hammer and rezsur. This guard was tougher than he looked. She hoped she could finish him off, then focus on healing herself and Morg.



Hits AC 19 for 8 then another 4.

10:27, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 19 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 13.  spiritual weapon attack.
10:27, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 16 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 10.  reszur attack.
10:28, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 3 using 1d6 with rolls of 3.  bardic inspiration on reszur attack.
10:28, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 12 using 1d8+4 with rolls of 8.  spiritual weapon damage.
10:28, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 8 using 1d4+4 with rolls of 4.  reszur damage.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 406 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 30 Oct 2018
at 23:59
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak had moved out of the way of whatever Findarion was attempting to do. He looked over at the guard and called out, though a bit quietly so as not to attract TOO much more attention. "What did the guard say when he fell off the scaffolding? .....wait for it...."

OOC: Vicious Mockery on Guard 1.

17:57, Today: Secret Roll: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 2 using 1d4 with rolls of 2.  Vicious Mockery.

DM
 GM, 1186 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 1 Nov 2018
at 00:57
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
At Findarion's artfully placed arrow, the upper support beam on the north side of the scaffolding folds. Fully half of the structure comes crashing down, boards and timbers splintering as the upper levels fall on the levels below. The guard stumbles as the floor beneath his feet buckles, then he is lost to sight in a cloud of dust and a hail of small bits of wood. A lantern, cracked and broken in the rubble, burns bright as the broken kindling around it sparks alight.

The southern end of the scaffolding still stands erect, seemingly unaffected by the collapse. Jak and Findarion shift their weight slightly as the boards they stand on quiver.

On the ground, Zora and Morg trade blows with the still enraged guard. The guard who had jumped from the eastern side of the tower stumbles forward and climbs over the broken wall. Approaching Magdrak, he draws his own longsword. The blade bursts into flame with a word, and he advances on the dwarven paladin.



Map updated!

Everyone is up now.

Round 4 Summary:
Asano hangs out.

Findarion fires an arrow at one of the upper level supports to the scaffolding. CRIT - the support collapses. G1 makes Dex save - FAIL. G1 takes a total of 17 bludgeoning damage from the fall & from falling pieces of scaffolding.

Zora attacks G with Reszur - HIT for 8 piercing. She attacks with Spiritual Weapon (using bardic inspiration) - HIT for 4 force.

Morg uses Second Wind and heals 6hp. He attacks G - HIT for 14 slashing.

Jak Viciously Mocks G1 - G1 saves.

Magdrak hangs out.

Guardians
G attacks Morg twice with longsword - HIT once for 7 slashing .
G1 tries digging himself out from the debris.
G2 moves over the broken wall and attacks Magdrak twice with flaming longsword - MISS.

Round 5 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Asano22Inspiration; Conc: P. Force
Findarion18 
Zora18 
Morg15 
Jak12 
Magdrak8 
Guardians2 

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:50, Fri 02 Nov 2018.

Morg Danforge
 player, 587 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 0sd8
Thu 1 Nov 2018
at 11:32
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Lay down your weapons!" Morg shouts at the guard, "You can't win against a cleric and 2 dwarves." as he slashes again with his sword.
(If G still fighting) Move: 10' to AA5 (otherwise, if G2 is still fighting, move 5' to AD5.)

Action: attack: G (or if G is out, then G2 instead) with greatsword - hits AC 20 for 12 slashing damage

13:26, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 12 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 5.  Attack G (or if G is out, then G2) with greatsword.
13:27, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 8 using 1d8 with rolls of 8.  Precision attack on G (or G2) added to hit roll.
13:27, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 12 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 3,4.  Slashing damage to G (or G2) from greatsword (reroll 1 or 2 once).


This message was last edited by the player at 11:41, Thu 01 Nov 2018.

Findarion
 player, 49 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Thu 1 Nov 2018
at 11:44
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion carefully moves on the unstable scaffolding, wary it might give way under him, and surprise attacks the guard buried in the debris.

If the scaffolding looks like it's gonna crumble I'll retreat back and ready a bow attack for if anyone comes into view.

12:43, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 10 using 1d8+4+2d6 with rolls of 2,1,3.  Sneak Attack damage.

12:43, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 24 using 2d20+6, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 18,4.  Attack with longbow.

12:42, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 18 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 10.  Stealth.

Zora Jilkina
 player, 287 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Thu 1 Nov 2018
at 22:18
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
G is still up? Whoa... Welp my heals are quite puny against the hitpoints being taken out, but don't think I can avoid them any longer :-(

I don't think I can use healing word and attack with spiritual hammer on the same turn, but will roll it in case I'm wrong... it missed anyways :-)


Frustrated at the durability of this guard, she focused on keeping Morg alive, while still managing to poke at the guard with her enchanted dagger.




16:15, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 5 using 1d4+4 with rolls of 1.  healing word on morg.
16:15, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 23 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 17.  reszur attack.
16:16, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 7 using 1d4+4 with rolls of 3.  reszur damage.
16:17, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 9 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 3.  spiritual weapon attack if possible.

Magdrak
 player, 7 posts
Sat 3 Nov 2018
at 03:59
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak with a primal cry marked the man in front of him as prey.  He then thrust his javelin at the target, using it as he would a spear.



OOC:  Cast Hunter's Mark at G2. (Bonus Action)
23:56, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 9 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 3.  Attack with Javelin (STR-melee).

DM
 GM, 1190 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 5 Nov 2018
at 01:56
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion's arrow pierces the guard as he succeeds in extracting himself from the wreckage of the northern scaffolding. As he darts toward a ladder leading up to Findarion and Jak's position, flames begin to dance out of the piles of wood on the ground, rapidly spreading through the dry boards as if through kindling. Dirty black smoke issues from the fire, adding to the haze around the top of the hill. The heavily wounded man's clothes and armor smoke, and he reeks of ash.

Zora cuts down the mourning guard with a vicious slash to his throat. With a last gasp of defiance at Zora, and a wail at the loss of his hellhound pets, he collapses to the grassy hillside.

The remaining guard, still looking around warily for an apparently imaginary attacker, takes a nasty cut from Morg's sword. Baring teeth he retaliates, slicing the dwarf across the midsection with his flaming blade. The flames dancing around the guard's sword extinguish themselves quickly after he lands the blow.

A voice calls down from a doorway in the tower, near the top of the scaffolding. It's too faint to make out specific words, however.

On the western slope of the hill, a woman dressed in greens and browns is visible ascending the hill. Through the haze it's difficult to make out her features, but she appears to be flanked by two small winged creatures.



Map updated!

Everyone is up now. The remains of the scaffolding to the northwest of the tower are now beginning to catch fire.

Round 5 Summary:
Asano hangs out.

Findarion attacks G1 - HIT for 10 piercing.

Zora heals Morg with Healing Word - Morg is healed for 5 . She attacks G with Reszur - HIT for 7 piercing. G is dead.

Morg moves towards G2 and makes Precision Attack - HIT for 12 slashing.

Jak hangs out.

Magdrak casts Hunter's Mark on G2, then attacks - MISS.

Guardians
G1 finishes digging himself out of the wreckage, then moves to the southern ladder up the scaffolding. He climbs the ladder and joins Findarion and Jak on the southern scaffolding.

G2 attacks Morg twice - HIT once for 9 slashing and 4 fire .

Round 6 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Asano22Inspiration; Conc: P. Force
Findarion18 
Zora18 
Morg15 
Jak12 
Magdrak8Conc: Hunter's Mark: G2
Guardians2 

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:00, Mon 05 Nov 2018.

Morg Danforge
 player, 588 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 0sd8
Mon 5 Nov 2018
at 12:24
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg nods a thanks to Zora for her prayer, and slashes at the guard who burned him, "There's a sleet storm coming laddie, to douse you all."
Action: attack G2 with greatsword - hits AC 16 for 14 slashing damage

14:22, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 16 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 9.  Attack G2 with greatsword.
14:22, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 14 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 4,5.  Slashing damage to G2 from greatsword (reroll 1 or 2 once).

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 409 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 5 Nov 2018
at 17:41
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak hadn't had a lot of good options for the guard nearest them so he had waited, biding his time for a better option. That presented itself when the guard made his way up to their level of the scaffolding. Jak flashed a grin and drew his shortsword as he rushed at the climbing guard. The shortsword stabbed at the man but the guard as quicker than Jak had thought and the weapon missed.

10:41, Today: Secret Roll: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 9,3 using d20+4,d6+2 with rolls of 5,1.  Shortsword  vs Guard.
Zora Jilkina
 player, 288 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Mon 5 Nov 2018
at 18:26
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
She wasn't going to keep him up at this rate. The punishment Morg was taking far outclassed her ability to heal it. Still she persisted, moving to attack the guard while sending another healing word Morg's way.





12:26, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 8 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 2.  attack guard with rezsur.

12:26, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 6 using 1d4+4 with rolls of 2.  heal morg.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 444 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Mon 5 Nov 2018
at 21:18
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano had spent far too long studying the skirmish. His focus flared with a chill flash, a thin frozen ray lashing out at the guard facing Morg and Mayon. He takes a position along some of the ruined walls, eyeing the approaching figure carefully. "Enemy reinforcements coming up the hill, guys," he calls to the group on the ground. He ducks behind the wall, not hiding, but making good use of the cover the tumbled stones provide.





13:01, Today: Asano Breathkill rolled 4 using 1d8 with rolls of 4.  Ray of Frost dmg.
13:00, Today: Asano Breathkill rolled 19 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 13.  Ray of Frost att.


Action: Cast ray of frost at G2 (Hit- 19  Dmg- 4, speed reduced by 10')
Move Action: Move to X5
Bonus Action:


HP: 20/29 AC 12
Buffs/Debuffs:
Conditions:
Spells/Sorcery Points: 1st- 4/4 2nd- 2/3, 2/4


This message was lightly edited by the player at 20:50, Tue 06 Nov 2018.

Findarion
 player, 50 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Mon 5 Nov 2018
at 21:30
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion scrambles for his rapier and stabs at the guardian quickly, missing as a result.

22:29, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 11 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 5.  Booming Blade. Booo
Magdrak
 player, 8 posts
Tue 6 Nov 2018
at 08:11
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak impaled the guard in front of him with his javelin, enhanced by his hunter's instincts.



OOC:
03:06, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 17 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 11.  Attack with Javelin (STR-melee).
03:06, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 9 using 1d6+4 with rolls of 5.  Damage with Javelin (STR-melee). (Piercing)
03:07, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 5 using 1d6 with rolls of 5.  Damage - Hunter's Mark. (Piercing)

DM
 GM, 1191 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 6 Nov 2018
at 23:55
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The two guards stagger under their multiple wounds, though they both manage to score strikes against their assailants. The wreckage of half of the scaffolding begins to burn in earnest below Jak, Findarion, and the guard in melee. The loud crackling of the flames drowns out any other sound on the western side of the hill.

The woman approaches up the hill, flanked by two sprites that flit to the top of the broken walls and gape at the burning wreckage of scaffolding, then up at the combatants on the remaining planks above. Her elven features look concernedly towards the scaffolding, then uncertainly at the melee on the northern side of the hill. She leans on her quarterstaff but says nothing, indecision painted on her face.



Map updated!

Everyone is up now.

Round 6 Summary:
Asano casts Ray of Frost at G2 - HIT for 4 cold. G2 is slowed by 10' until the start of Asano's next turn.

Findarion attacks G1 - MISS.

Zora moves to AD3 and attacks G2 - MISS. She uses Healing Word on Morg and heals 6 hp Private to Morg Danforge: Current hp: 13].

Morg attacks G2 - MISS.

Jak attacks G1 - MISS.

Magdrak attacks G2 - HIT for 14 piercing.

Guardians
G1 attacks Magdrak twice - HIT once for 9 slashing . Magdrak should make a Concentration check to see if he can maintain concentration on Hunter's Mark.

G2 attacks Findarion twice - HIT once for 8 slashing .

Round 7 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Asano22Inspiration; Conc: P. Force
Findarion18 
Zora18 
Morg15 
Jak12 
Magdrak8Conc: Hunter's Mark: G2
Guardians2G2 slowed by 10' until SoANT

Morg Danforge
 player, 589 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 0sd8
Wed 7 Nov 2018
at 11:25
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg again thanks Zora, and feeling a bit sheepish for missing the guard in front of his fellow dwarf lashes out too quickly, missing again.
Action: attack G2 with greatsword - hits AC 15 for 15 slashing damage (or if G2 is dead or surrendered, sheath sword as an action interact with object to take out javelin1).

13:22, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 15 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 8.  Attack G2 with greatsword.
13:23, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 15 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 4,6.  Slashing damage to G2 from greatsword (reroll 1 or 2 once).

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 410 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 7 Nov 2018
at 15:23
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The definition of insanity was trying the same thing again and again while expecting a different result. Luckily for Jak, his aim was a bit better this time around so maybe he wasn't quite insane yet. He swung out the shortsword on the guard again, glancing down towards the fire that seemed to have started below them. He wasn't nervous...yet.

08:21, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 17,6 using d20+4,d6+2 with rolls of 13,4.  Shortsword  vs Guard.
Zora Jilkina
 player, 289 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Thu 8 Nov 2018
at 22:01
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Finally able to call in her spiritual hammer, Zora brought both to bear on the guard, hoping to finish him off.





16:00, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 13 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 7.  rezsur attack.
16:00, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 24 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 18.  spiritual weapon attack.
16:01, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 11 using 1d8+4 with rolls of 7.  spiritual weapon damage.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 445 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 8 Nov 2018
at 22:42
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asasno straightens as the elven woman approaches the tumbled walls. He smooths his clothing quickly, doing his best to ignore the crossbow quarrel still impaling his leg. [Language unknown:  "Wessee, ur omwi me a?"] he calls to her, tone impatient and frustrated. [Language unknown:  "O ng e sheas iv unelliliul rea ate ncosur ch no hofifo ei set ughin, nene ek lerat art ne saonee."]



Putting every bit of my noble upbringing in to play with this exchange. His tone is dripping with the frustration of one who is unaccustomed to having to ask for aid. His body langauge is tense, pained, and annoyed. There is a slight petulance, as though he shouldn't have to ask, as if this annoyance should have resolved itself before ever coming to his attention.


14:38, Today: Asano Breathkill rolled 22 using 1d20+6 ((16)).


Action: Speaking to Ga
Move Action:
Bonus Action:


HP: 20/29 AC 12
Buffs/Debuffs:
Conditions:
Spells/Sorcery Points: 1st- 4/4 2nd- 2/3, 2/4


DM
 GM, 1192 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 9 Nov 2018
at 02:27
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Zora's spiritual hammer flies through the air and crunches in the guard's skull, who promptly collapses to the dry ground beneath.

Jak's shortsword catches the other guard in the side. Choking on blood, the man keels over and falls from the scaffolding. He lands in the pile of burning timbers beneath, launching a cascade of sparks towards the dusky sky. The fire burns quickly now, starting to lap even at the remaining upright supports of the southern scaffolding on which Jak and Findarion stand.

The elven woman turns to Asano.  She gestures towards the burning wreckage of the scaffolding, whose flames seem to burn brighter by the second. She gives Asano an appraising look.

Behind the elven woman, three more figures ascend the slope. The first, a woman dressed in robes, is flanked by two human men. All are dressed in rugged clothing and breastplates. One of the men absently takes a bite of meat from a wooden kebab as he approaches.


Out of initiative! Map updated.

XP total (3 hellhounds, 3 Eternal Flame Guardians): 2750
Total XP per PC: 3931

Magdrak
 player, 9 posts
Fri 9 Nov 2018
at 10:55
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
As the last enemies fell, Magdrak turned on the other two nearby him.  "What the 'Fells do ya think yer doin', attacking a pair of devil dogs?  Then ye go an' light a signal fire big enough fer all of 'em ta come runnin'."  He gestured at the expanding fire of the scaffolding.  "I'm all fer takin' out these blasted cultists."
He paused to spit on the ground. "But use yer noggins."
Findarion
 player, 52 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Fri 9 Nov 2018
at 11:08
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Still on the scaffolding with Jak, the elf quietly whispers. "Not sure about this woman, she talks of some Rite of the Wicker Giant. Seems to be with the cultists."

Findarion made sure to attract as little attention as possible for the time being.
Morg Danforge
 player, 590 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 0sd8
Fri 9 Nov 2018
at 11:25
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg eyes the fire cult sprite(s), and says to the paladin "The dogs instigated the fight, after it looked like their minder was going to let us go around. He also didn't call them off despite our warnings."

"The name's Morg Danforge, "

Magdrak
 player, 10 posts
Fri 9 Nov 2018
at 11:29
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak nodded.  "The name's Magdrak of Cl-"  He paused for a second before continuing.  "It's just Magdrak."
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 411 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Fri 9 Nov 2018
at 17:06
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak grimaced as the guard fell. He frowned and angrily snapped at the dwarf, "Yah, 'cause we TOTALLY started the fire on purpose!" He rolled his eyes and quickly got off the burning scaffolding and back to the ground.

He eyed the elven woman, as well as those coming up behind her. He glanced at Morg and quietly said, "Heal!"

He raised an eyebrow, "So...now what?"

OOC: Screw you, dice roller! Lol
10:05, Today: Secret Roll: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 5 using 1d4+4 with rolls of 1.  Healing Word on Morg.

Zora Jilkina
 player, 290 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Fri 9 Nov 2018
at 22:33
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Zora knew enough to not say anything. Let Jak or Asano do the talking. It was almost always the best idea.

OOC: I can toss out a prayer of healing to try to top everyone up, but need ten minutes uninterrupted. Don't think I have that here, do I?
DM
 GM, 1194 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 10 Nov 2018
at 21:14
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The elven woman looks on with a slightly bemused expression, then looks up at the scaffolding with some concern. "You'd best get down from there," she calls out to Findarion, "it looks like the base of that part of the scaffolding is starting to catch as well."

The three figures from further down the hill are joined by a fourth as they approach the western edge of the walled courtyard. Hurrying forward, they look with alarm at the burning scaffolding. "What is the meaning of this?" the leader calls out over the wall to Jak and Findarion. The figure's dark robes reflect none of the growing light from the flickering flames. Her hood frames a slightly dirty half-elven face, perhaps streaked with soot from a campfire. Her companions, rangers by the look of them, finger their crossbows.

Once again a voice calls down from the tower above. "What's going on down there?" The scaffolding ends at a jagged doorway-sized hole about thirty feet up the western tower wall, where a figure leans out to survey the scene.


Map updated!

@Zora correct, 10 minutes have not yet elapsed, we're still pretty much only a few seconds after the last guards fell.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:15, Sat 10 Nov 2018.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 412 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sat 10 Nov 2018
at 23:11
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak hesitated only a moment and then went with it, tossing the elven woman a wink just before he started talking. "Well...we heard about a big fire rite was happenin', thought we'd come see what it was all about - but we weren't sure if we'd be allowed t'just show up or anythin'. So we were..." He gave a shrug and adopted a sheepish look on his face, looking down slightly and everything, "..sneakin' in t'look." But then he straightened and looked a mixture of angry and apologetic at the same time. "But then some hellhounds back there attacked us an' the guards joined in as well! So...we defended ourselves...an' this fire got started." He let out a sigh. "Sorry for causin' trouble."

16:10, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 12 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 6.  Deception or Persuasion (and I can roll the other if you want, same bonus).
Findarion
 player, 54 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sat 10 Nov 2018
at 23:50
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion descends from the scaffolding quickly after Jakryn, knowing well trouble was brewing.

Expecting the situation to go downhill quickly, his eyes dart towards the tents next to him, ready to tumble there and take cover at the slightest sign of trouble.

Though he was plainly visible by the newcomers, he nonetheless moved quietly to avoid being seen by the guard on top of the scaffolding.

Moving down the ladder to X14, looking to dash to Y16 should combat start.

If I can take a moment to investigate the area, can I try to deduce where the hostages (and my brother) are located?

Asano Breathkill
 player, 446 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sun 11 Nov 2018
at 08:35
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"As he said," Asano says, nodding to Jak, "we came to observe the Rite, but were unsure of the welcome we may receive. There has been unrest, recently, especially since the destruction of Triboar. Such exposure cannot bode well." Asano watches the woman's features carefully for any recognition or opinion.





00:33, Today: Secret Roll: Asano Breathkill rolled 6 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 3.  Insight.
00:32, Today: Secret Roll: Asano Breathkill rolled 8 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 2.  Persuasion w/ wild magic adv.
00:32, Today: Secret Roll: Asano Breathkill rolled 10 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 4.  Persuasion.


Action: Speaking to Ga
Move Action:
Bonus Action:


HP: 20/29 AC 12
Buffs/Debuffs:
Conditions:
Spells/Sorcery Points: 1st- 4/4 2nd- 2/3, 2/4


DM
 GM, 1196 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 12 Nov 2018
at 22:52
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The fire spreads quickly just as Findarion moves away from the ladder. Flames rise up the wooden supports of the remaining section of scaffolding, hissing and popping as the wood chars.

The elven woman nods to Jak and Asano, and introduces herself as Gariena. Her two sprites, named Flix and Afid, bow in turn as she introduces them.

Before she can continue the conversation however, she is cut off by another shout from the tower above. "Hel-LO down there? What in blazes is going on? Why is the flaming scaffolding on fire? Someone answer me!" He pauses, squinting down through the smoke at the four newcomers from further down the hill. "Is that you Lytin? What's happening?"

The half elven woman, named Lytin if the guard in fact recognized her, ignores the shout and looks angrily at Jak. "If you had half a wit in your brains you would have just come up the front side of the hill," she snaps. "The Rite of the Wicker Giant will restore nature's balance in the Hills, but burning down the tower around Elizar won't help him restore anything!" Flix covers his eyes at her harsh tones, and Afid shakes a tiny finger at her from the nearby stone wall.

Lytin turns to her companions. "Biart, Orm, Malin, please escort this group to our campsite - I think we should have a discussion with them before they be presented to the Circle." The three rangers step forward reluctantly, but motion expectantly for the group to accompany them.

Gariena clears her throat. "Should we not check around the area for any who might be hurt first?" She looks questioningly at Lytin, then Jak and Asano.

Rounding the corner, another wave of heat blows into Findarion's face. On the south side of the central tower is a courtyard cluttered with tents. A humanoid-shaped wicker giant, two stories tall, burns brightly. Near it, two figures in robes stand with their heads bowed in prayer.

Rubble chokes a wide but impassible doorway on this side of the tower, likely once the main entrance.


Map updated! Lots of folks on this map ;) - let me know if you have any questions about what any of the letters mean.

To Asano, Gariena doesn't betray any surprise at hearing of the burning of Triarbor, but neither does she show any sign of recognition of the name. She seems like a druid of the forest.

Findarion, you should probably make a stealth roll =)


Morg Danforge
 player, 592 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 0sd8
Tue 13 Nov 2018
at 10:31
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg wipes and sheathes his sword, and starts walking westwards - roughly from where he heard Jak's voice.
Can he see any fire cultists other than Flix  and G4?
Magdrak
 player, 11 posts
Tue 13 Nov 2018
at 16:28
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak shook his head and muttered, "This will not end well."  He then turned and followed Morg.
Findarion
 player, 55 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Tue 13 Nov 2018
at 17:11
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
As the attention is turned elsewhere, the elf moves behind the tent.

10:58, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 21 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 13.  Stealth.

I want to get in the tent, possibly by cutting my way in with a dagger?

Asano Breathkill
 player, 447 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Tue 13 Nov 2018
at 18:26
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"A moment before we enjoy your hospitality, lady," Asano says, with a half bow. He turns to the burning scaffolding and directs a number of frozen rays to control and eventually snuff the burning fire.
DM
 GM, 1198 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 14 Nov 2018
at 23:09
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg and Magdrak round the corner of the northwestern wall. From their vantage point the two dwarves can see two campsites partway down this side of the hill, both with tents centered around small cookfires. Further to the southern side the several other campsites are visible. Through the haze it's difficult to see whether any people are in the camps, but the two nearest appear deserted. The nearest one on the southern side of the hill might have two figures huddled over the campfire, but even after squinting Morg can't be sure.

Gariena nods in approval at Asano's efforts to put out the flames, though Lytin watches with a scowl. She finally answers the repeated calls from the tower. "I'll handle it Sikheir - if you need to get down, just climb the wall. The fire will be out shortly." Lytin's companions finger their crossbows anxiously.

Findarion slips inside one of the small tents, finding the usual assortment of camping gear, clothing, and food strewn about. A small belt pouch sits in the pile.


Map updated!

To answer Morg's question, everyone can see all the figures on the map with the exception of P1 & P2, which only Findarion could see from his position before entering the tent.

It'll take several minutes for Asano to put out the flames, but he can stem the fire enough to prevent it from spreading to the front of the tower.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:38, Thu 15 Nov 2018.

Findarion
 player, 57 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Thu 15 Nov 2018
at 20:27
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion spares a moment to check the contents of the pouch, as well as to find any signs that captives were held in this tent. Afterwards, he makes his way to the next one.

Moving to AA15 tent
21:25, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 8 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 3.  Investigation.

DM
 GM, 1200 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 16 Nov 2018
at 02:16
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion finds some coins in the pouch but nothing else of value. Moving to the next tent he finds a similar array of bedrolls and clothing strewn on the floor, and another belt pouch. An unlit lantern hangs from the ceiling rod.

A glint of metal under a blanket catches his eye, and he finds a dagger with the crest of House Aur'aver crafted into the hilt.


Findarion finds a total of 28 gp between the two pouches.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:18, Fri 16 Nov 2018.

Findarion
 player, 58 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Fri 16 Nov 2018
at 20:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The elf's grip on the dagger tightens, his knucklebones going white. He inhales sharply, pocketing the dagger and the money.

Looking around the tent, Findarion attempts to figure out where did they take his brother.

Looking for tracks from the tent, or maybe drag marks if he was taken against his will. Anything that will give me directions.

Otherwise I would like to attempt to sneak into the tower as I feel like that's my best bet.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 415 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Fri 16 Nov 2018
at 20:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak gave a nod to the lady, "Lady Gariena, a pleasure to meet you! Friendly people call me Jak." And then he bemusedly nodded a greeting to the two sprites. He smiled and then deliberately did NOT look back to see who, if any, among his allies had stepped out with him. He tried hard to restrain a sigh of relief as he heard Asano speak up. At least I won't be alone... he thought.

The man above called down and Jak smirked, muttering quietly, "blazes is right!" Then the rest arrived and he gave a flourishing bow to Lytin, "Milady, if I had half a wit in my brains, I wouldn't be a bard! Jakrynn Redgate, at your service!" There was only the slightest of hiccups in the telling of his name. He gestured towards the tower, "My humblest apologies! It was certainly not our intent to cause this issue, as I said."

Asano tried to put out the fire. Jak didn't have a way to really help with that so he just ignored it for the time being but waited for him to finish, seemingly content to follow their 'escorts' when all was ready.
DM
 GM, 1201 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 19 Nov 2018
at 02:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano goes about the task of putting out the fire as Lytin and her companions look on impatiently. Gariena's sprites join in the process, occasionally scavenging burning timbers and tossing them into the path of Asano's cold magic. Finally the blaze is contained, then put out entirely.

Gariena claps her hands delightedly at Jak. "Oh good, a bard! You must entertain us this evening during the festivities! I do hope Lytin and her companions will share you with us?" She looks inquiringly at the other druid.

Lytin returns her hopeful look with a glare. When the fire is out, she motions to Asano and the rest imperiously. "Come with us."

Findarion looks around the interior of the tent, then peeks out carefully at the nearby ground. He finds no evidence of his brother or anyone else being dragged from the tent.

Looking to the tower, the only entrances seem to be the south-facing main entrance and the rough doorway partway up the western side of the tower. From his vantage point near the tents, the main entrance looks to be choked with rubble and completely impassible. The doorway sits roughly 30 feet up the western side of the tower, directly above where the now-ruined scaffolding used to sit. Sooty and smoky open air now lie between the ground and the doorway.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 416 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 22 Nov 2018
at 05:34
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak gave a flourishing bow to Gariena. "I would be absolutely delighted to enterntain you, milady, whether it be during the festivities or perhaps a private showing after or another time." He tossed her a wink as he righted himself.

He gave a nod to Lytin, "Of course." And he followed in step behind her. He offered his arm to Gariena to see if she would accompany them, and had any desire for his mock-gallantry.
Morg Danforge
 player, 594 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 0sd8
Thu 22 Nov 2018
at 09:16
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg follows Lytin's directions, and tries to figure out from Gariena's face and voice if she's sincere, considering the dead guards and dogs.
11:14, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 21 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 20.  Insight check on Gariena to see if she seems sincere.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:16, Fri 23 Nov 2018.

DM
 GM, 1203 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 23 Nov 2018
at 22:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Gariena follows along behind the group, albeit more slowly. Her sprites cavort around her as the group descends the hill toward Lytin's camp.


Lytin begins leading the group down the hill, toward campfire #4 on the map.


DM
 GM, 1205 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 27 Nov 2018
at 02:07
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Lytin leads the balance of the group down the hillside and approaches one of the campfires.

Findarion, still within a tent at the top of the hill, studies the nearby tower.

Map updated!

Now back in town from vacation, it's easier for me to post - sorry for the delay! Post if anyone would like to do anything prior to arriving at Lytin's campsite.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 418 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 28 Nov 2018
at 21:13
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak kept following along, glancing first at his companions and then at Lytin. "So." He flashed a smile, knowing she wasn't biting at his charm. "Where are you takin' us?" He made a show of looking slowly around. "We get t'meet the person in charge?"
DM
 GM, 1206 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 29 Nov 2018
at 02:04
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Lytin turns to look back over her shoulder at Jak as she walks. "I'm taking you to my camp for questioning," she replies, her voice tight. Then, she slows, her eye apparently catching something back at the top of the hill near the tower.

Findarion, crouching under the short ceiling of the tent, hears one of the figures in front of the bonfire call out clearly. "Arise, and cleanse this place of the unworthy!" The voice sounds startlingly close through the thin canvas of the tent. In response, the crackling coming from the wicker giant surges, as if a great bonfire had just been sprayed with lamp oil.

Down the hill, Lytin's eyes widen. Movement stirs in several other camps, just visible through the smoky air. Indistinct figures stand up from their seats by the fire, emerge from within their tents to look up the slope.
Morg Danforge
 player, 597 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 0sd8
Thu 29 Nov 2018
at 07:56
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg sheathes his sword, and tries to casually grip a javelin sticking out from his backpack. He also tries to see Gariena's reaction to the wicker fire-surge and the figures emerging.
Action: ready javelin attack on either an attacking enemy mage, or if there are only mundane enemy attackers then the most dangerous looking one.

09:52, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 15 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 14.  Sleight of hand check to try to to casually grip a javelin.
09:52, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 10 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 9.  Insight check on Gariena's reaction to wicker and figures.

Findarion
 player, 61 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Thu 29 Nov 2018
at 15:10
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion was about to climb to the tower rooftop, but the booming voice completely threw him off. Curious and cautious, he stays put and observes how the situation develops further.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 448 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 29 Nov 2018
at 18:01
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
As the party follows Lytin down the hill, Asano tries to get a sense of the gathering. He listens carefully to the chanting, does his best to read the body language of the visible persons, and just tries to get a sense of the mood of the ritual itself. When Lytin glances up the hill, Asano follows her gaze, trying to spy what it is that drew her attention.


OOC:
Insight- 17
Perception- 9/7
Wild Magic roll- 40, Asano regains 2d10 HP (7 HP restored)

DM
 GM, 1208 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 1 Dec 2018
at 14:40
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion hears the call repeated, ""Arise, and cleanse this place of the unworthy!" The crackling flames surge in response.

Morg tenses, gripping the haft of a javelin. Their attention fixed on the hill, nobody from Lytin's group seems to notice.

The flames within the wicker giant surge, spewing forth gouts of black smoke towards the heavens. The flame itself, burning brightly, obscures the humanoid-shaped wooden structure. Biart and Orm, flanking the group, squint at its brilliance, and Malin puts his hands over his eyes. "It's the Rite of the Wicker Giant," Lytin murmurs. "The time is at hand."

Two other figures approach the watching group from the campsite nearby, splitting their attention between the conflagration on the hill and the assembled group. The two humans wear scraps of armor and threadbare clothing, and their faces seem sooty from grime or fire smoke.



Map updated!

S & W on the map are the new arrivals from camp #3.


Morg Danforge
 player, 598 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 0sd8
Tue 4 Dec 2018
at 07:41
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg tries to see if anyone around may be Fin's brother, looking at the ears of even females since to him male elves oftentimes look like young females.
Action (continuously): ready javelin attack on either an attacking enemy mage, or if there are only mundane enemy attackers then the most dangerous looking one.

09:40, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 16 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 13.  Perception check, looking for elves who could be Fin's brother.

Magdrak
 player, 12 posts
Tue 4 Dec 2018
at 14:47
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak leaned over and whispered at Morg. 

Gripping his javelin, he waited until the humans were closer before calling out.  " 'Ello Wiglaf.  I see that you joined up as well.  Been wondering where you had disappeared to, but I should have guessed.  You always did have an eye for a good deal."

This message was last edited by the player at 14:49, Tue 04 Dec 2018.

Findarion
 player, 62 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Tue 4 Dec 2018
at 16:30
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Gathering his resolve to finally do something, Findarion muttered under his breath, staring at the back of one of the chanting cultists.

I've made up my mind. Let's try something daring!

Tasha's Hideous Laughter on P1. DC 13

17:29, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 27 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 19.  Stealth.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:30, Tue 04 Dec 2018.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 420 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 4 Dec 2018
at 16:46
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak looked over at Lytin curiously. She didn't appear to be looking like this was supposed to be happening - or at least, not yet. That made him frown. The little hairs on the back of his neck started to stand up. He got the feeling, like a pit in his stomach, that things were about to go horribly wrong.

"Oh, that's disappointing that it's already started without us. Can we go see it at least?"
Asano Breathkill
 player, 450 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Tue 4 Dec 2018
at 20:51
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano continued to study the ritual as it was being performed. He racked his memory for anything that sounded familiar from his past studies and experiences. He doesn't even notice when he begins glowing with a blinding light.


OOC:
Arcana- 15/4, advantage from Tides of ChaosWild Magic table- 75

quote:
You glow with bright light in a 30-foot radius for the next minute. Any creature that ends its turn within 5 feet of you is blinded until the end of its next turn

DM
 GM, 1210 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 5 Dec 2018
at 02:20
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The flaring light from the top of the hill is abruptly eclipsed by a coruscating brilliance emitted from around Asano, abruptly taking Jak unawares. The two newcomers avert their eyes, while the rest of the assembled simply shrink back from the new light source.

Lytin doesn't respond to Jak at all, seemingly transfixed by the events at the top of the hill. She seems to pay no mind however. She and her companions don't move to stop Jak or anyone else from the group she was escorting.


Jak is blinded for the next 6 seconds, unless he moves away from Asano in the next post.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 421 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 5 Dec 2018
at 04:23
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak was looking a bit wide-eyed in excitement and then suddenly was blinded from almost right next to him. "Gods! Ow! Fuck!" He stumbled a few steps away from...whatever it was, rubbing at his eyes and looking away. "Damn!" He stumbled a bit but didn't trip and fall.

He blinked several more times and slowly turned his head, ever so slowly, to see what was causing the bright blinding light in the vicinity. "Asano? What the hell?" He immediately had to hold up a hand to block incoming light if Asano turned to look at him.

He let out a growling sigh and looked back towards the ritual, and keeping a hand up to the the side of his eyes to block Asano's light. He idly wondered if they should be stopping the ritual and spoke quietly to Morg out of the side of his mouth, "should we stop this?"
Morg Danforge
 player, 599 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 0sd8
Wed 5 Dec 2018
at 09:34
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg kept an eye on the former Bloodaxe, per Magdrak's request, but quickly changed his focus when Asano turned into the sun. His hand shifted to his waterskin, but looking around at all the fire cultists he moved it back towards a javelin.

To Jak he replied "I don't think so, not unless we know what it is."

Action (continuously): ready javelin attack on either an attacking enemy mage, or if there are only mundane enemy attackers then the most dangerous looking one.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:37, Wed 05 Dec 2018.

DM
 GM, 1212 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 6 Dec 2018
at 02:05
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Wiglaf shrinks at Magdrak's greeting, then covers his eyes entirely at the blazing light from Asano. His companion looks a question at him, then scratches his dirty cheek.

"Eh, hi Magdrak," Wiglaf finally replies gruffly, squinting. "Didn't realize you were still here. I've just a mind to figure out what this Rite is all about." He looks hungrily towards the blazing pyre at the top of the hill. He looks leaner than Magdrak remembers, and much dirtier. The feral look in his eyes is new as well.

Findarion pokes his head out of the tent, and casts a spell at one of the figure's backs. The cultist straightens suddenly, though she remains facing away from Findarion, attention fixed on the flames in front of her. She turns just enough to speak briefly to her companion however, who peers through the smoke down the hillside looking for who might have cast the spell.

"Arise, and cleanse this place of the unworthy!" the first figure calls out once again, and the flames surge in response. Orange and white radiance coalesce into a humanoid outline within the flames, fire licking at the edges of its form. It steps slowly forth, directly though the wooden frame of the wicker, and flames begin to lick the wood in its wake. The immense form of fire strides towards one of the nearby tents, its foot landing mere feet away. Small flames bloom from the tent's canvas walls.


Map updated! The form of a fire elemental has stepped out of the frame of the wicker giant, and the wood is burning in its wake.

P1 makes the save on Findarion's Hideous Laughter spell.

Asano doesn't recognize the ritual, but intuits that the ritual's purpose was to call forth the fire elemental, for whatever purpose. He knows the basics about elementals (e.g., that they're very magical & dangerous, and that fire elementals are susceptible to damage from water).

Morg doesn't see anyone in the camp with elvish features, other than Lytin and Gariena.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:39, Fri 07 Dec 2018.

Findarion
 player, 63 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Fri 7 Dec 2018
at 16:20
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Scolding himself quietly, Findarion hesitates; the rogue is not in the greatest of positions, the tower seems barely accessible and the fire elemental is a foe he doesn't want to face.

And thus, the rogue bides his time, observing the priests' and the elemental's movement.
Morg Danforge
 player, 600 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 0sd8
Sat 8 Dec 2018
at 07:57
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg starts to slowly back away to the west, hoping the big magical bonfire distracts the cultists.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 422 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sat 8 Dec 2018
at 17:54
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak wasn't sure what to do. Were the cultists going to try and direct the fire elemental? Were they going to kill Jak and his allies? Who exactly decided who was 'the unworthy'? He glanced at Gariena to see what her reaction to all this was. He noticed Morg backing away but didn't follow suit for the moment. He opened his mouth...hesitated...and then closed it for the moment. They were too spread out and there were too many cultists to start a fight reasonably.
Magdrak
 player, 13 posts
Sun 9 Dec 2018
at 03:16
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak looked at the fire elemental and scratched his beard.  "Hmmm," is all he could say, however, as the enormous creature stood burning.
DM
 GM, 1213 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 11 Dec 2018
at 00:37
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Gariena eyes were like saucers as she stared up the hillside. "This... this does not seem right," she breathes, nearly panting as her features alternate between anger and horror. The giant creature of fire walks slowly but blithely through a canvas tent on the hillside, incautiously scattering bedrolls and belongings. In its wake the wreckage of the campsite blazes, smoke rolling downhill.

"How a destructive elemental will restore nature's balance..." she looks worriedly at Lytin. Her sprites gather near her closely, seeking her protection, or perhaps trying to ward off any danger. Afid perches on her quarterstaff, glaring angrily at the towering elemental as it approaches. The two priests follow in its wake, seemingly prodding it somehow, guiding it down the rough path of the hillside towards the lower campsites.

Lytin glares triumphantly at Gariena. "The unworthy will be scourged from the face of the earth. Thus will balance be restored. Do you fear the just judgement of elemental fire?" She caresses the hilt of a dagger, jutting from her waist, then glances at Biart and Orm, who nod slightly. Flix, her second sprite companion, makes a rude gesture at Malin.


Map updated!

The elemental flanked by the two priests are passing by close to the group, but they appear headed to some camps lower down on the hillside.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 423 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 11 Dec 2018
at 03:01
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak looked surprised, eyes wide and an incredulous frown on his face as he looked at Gariena, "You're just NOW figuring that out? Yeah, fire is for cleansing, burning away things unwanted." He shook his head. "It's version of restoring balance is likely scorched earth."

He turned to face Lytin. "Fear? Nah. Dislike it burning everything away for no good reason? Yep." He glanced at the teammates with him casually. "Whattya think, boys 'n' girls?"
Morg Danforge
 player, 601 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 0sd8
Tue 11 Dec 2018
at 11:15
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg takes out his waterskin, and moves towards Jak and Gariena.
Today I learned that you can't ready an action outside initiative: https://mobile.twitter.com/Jer...s/778650357824040961
Asano Breathkill
 player, 451 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Wed 12 Dec 2018
at 21:02
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Fear a just judgement? No," Asano says, looking away from the elemental. "But the elementals don't have the same viewpoints we do. There is no just or un-just, they simply do what they do. And fire burns. The only balance is when all elements are equal." He breaks off, shaking his head with a chuckle. "And now I sound like every arcane theory tutor my parents hired. Sad. Anyway," he looks to Gariena. "Was that a bound summoning? Or is that elemental free of a summoner's binding?" As he asks, he looks over the fire elemental, attempting  to identify any symbols, marks, or other indications of a binding laid upon the elemental when it was summoned.


OOC:
Persuasion- 9/19
Arcana- 16
Wild Magic- 20  "You cast Grease centered on yourself." Haha! Oops.

DM
 GM, 1216 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 13 Dec 2018
at 02:20
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The form of the fire elemental continues inexorably down the slope, trailed by the two cultist priests. Waves of heat radiate from its humanoid form, and wisps of smoke trail behind in its wake as the rough grass of the hillside is incinerated.

Lytin smirks and waves her companions to join her. "You all are unworthy, all of you. You all will burn. Soon." Her feral grin flashes as she turns to follow the elemental. Her three companions move to follow.

Wiglaf and his companion both approach closer, their filthy appearance and hungry eyes becoming more and more apparent the closer they come. "I think I done learned what this whole Rite is about," Wiglaf says earnestly to Magdrak. "Seems they're like to burn down this whole hillside, maybe even everyone on it. Don't suppose you're keen to help 'em with that, are ye? Could be fun, belike old times." He flashes a feral grin, matched by Storol.

Gariena's eyes remain wide, anger warring with confusion on her face. "N-no, that elemental doesn't seem bound to me at all. If they let t-that creature loose in this wilderness, it will make things worse instead of better. I'm starting to think this was a mistake." The druid's sprite companions both mime lowering visors, then draw their swords.

The light emanating from Asano flares briefly, then a gout of black oil spills all around the sorcerer, staining the tufts of grass with greasy ichor. The sprites spin toward the oily spill centered around Asano, then grin with mirth.


Map updated!

Asano does not believe that this elemental is controlled as a normal Conjure Elemental spell would work.

Magdrak
 player, 14 posts
Thu 13 Dec 2018
at 05:50
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak stared at the retreating form of Lytin, shaking his head in thinly veiled disgust.  "If we're unworthy, why'd ya want ta hire us, ya crazy berk?"  Turning to Wiglaf, he shook his head again and continued.  "Sounds like she's planning on siccing that fiery beast on us even if we help.  I'm not keen on diggin' me own grave."
Findarion
 player, 65 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Fri 14 Dec 2018
at 16:36
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Following the priests, the rogue remains unseen, waiting. It seemed that confrontation was inevitable... thus, he kept his bow drawn, an arrow pointed at one of the priest's backs.

As he moved in to the new tent he spared a moment to survey his new surroundings.

Move to Y22.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:37, Fri 14 Dec 2018.

DM
 GM, 1219 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 18 Dec 2018
at 02:14
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion slides out of the tent, then moves through the courtyard towards another cluster of tents. Looking into a large tent nearby, he sees a similar array of bedrolls and clothing, along with some scattered other personal belongings. A couple of lanterns hang from the tent ceiling, unlit.

The towering fire elemental continues moving down the hill, seemingly headed toward one of the encampments near the bottom of the hill. Lytin and her companions stream after it, catching up to the two priests accompanying the blazing figure.

Gariena shakes her head, looking disgusted. "Such a thing should not be let loose in this land. I will take no further part in this." She starts to head down the western slope of the hill. Her two sprite companions, steel still bared, hesitate, looking fiercely to the south toward the smoking giant.

Wiglaf scratches at the mass of snarly hair on his head, then looks at Storol. "He's prob-ly right. But we could hang around, look for some spoils." He looks hopefully at the other shabby man, who scratches his midsection.

Storol looks at the retreating Gariena, then the two sprites. "They looks like tasty morsels. We could roast them on a spit once the big fires are a burnin'. If we can dodge that flaming beast." He yanks a spear from a filthy backpack on his thin frame, then brandishes it towards the pair of sprites. The sprites twirl their swords in his direction, though neither makes a move toward the other. Finally, Storal laughs and leans on the spear, but his eyes still betray a wolfish hunger when he looks at the sprites.


Map updated!

Morg Danforge
 player, 604 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 0sd8
Tue 18 Dec 2018
at 10:01
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg looks to Gariena, "Don't you want to help douse it, instead of just walking away?"
DM
 GM, 1220 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 18 Dec 2018
at 23:50
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Gariena pauses, then turns back to look at Morg. She opens her mouth but doesn't say anything, looking uncertain.


Morg can make a persuasion check on this one.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 426 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 19 Dec 2018
at 02:27
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak nodded and grinned looking back at Gariena. "Aye! You said it yourself - we can't just leave it t'walk around unchecked, now can we? And this lot have no clue what's worthy or what's controlled." He nodded derisively towards the cultists.

He got ready to make a move, calling out to Storol. "Aw, whassa matter? Only pick on creatures half your size or less??" He let out a laugh.
Morg Danforge
 player, 605 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 0sd8
Wed 19 Dec 2018
at 22:38
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg nods at Jak, and says to Gariena "Aye. If you've been helping these people, it's only right to try to stop the harm that's about to be done."
00:33, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 19 using 1d20 with rolls of 19.  Persuasion check on Gariena to help with the fire elemental.
DM
 GM, 1221 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 21 Dec 2018
at 21:44
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Gariena nods reluctantly, then turns back to the group. She rejoins her sprites, who are now capering about, brandishing their swords at the empty air.

Storol growls at Jak's comment, his face practically a snarl, but says nothing.

The fire elemental continues down the hill, nearly reaching one of the encampments at the bottom of the hill. The smoke in the air makes it difficult to tell what's happening down there from this distance.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 428 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sun 23 Dec 2018
at 03:24
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak let out a sigh and rolled his eyes. Things were not going according to plan at all. "Fine, eff it, let's get this started." He hurried at an angle after the fire elemental. Once he was around sixty feet from it he tapped out on his drum a bit and called out an arcane word, "Shatter!" His will sent out a sudden loud ringing noise from his drum and erupting in to a sonic explosion of pain centered on the fire elemental.

Shatter, 10 foot radius on the Elemental, Constitution saving throw for half damage. 16 thunder damage is the total.

20:20, Today: Secret Roll: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 16 using 3d8 with rolls of 8,7,1.  Shatter damage.

Magdrak
 player, 16 posts
Tue 25 Dec 2018
at 02:06
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
As Magdrak watched Jak cast a spell, a thought came unbidden to his mind, and he spoke it aloud.  "What the 'Fells can I use that will even dent that thing?  Walking fire, and I don't have a bucket of water handy."

This message was last edited by the player at 13:46, Thu 27 Dec 2018.

Morg Danforge
 player, 607 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 0sd8
Wed 26 Dec 2018
at 11:27
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg charges towards the walking fire, throws and puts away his partially opened waterskin. at it, and then takes out his greatsword looking for any hostile cultists.
Move: 25' to N30. to within 20' of fire elemental if possible.

Action: dash 25' to Q35. if getting to within 20', attack, throw waterskin - hits because critical hit for 9 bludgeoning damage, and unknown amount of water damage (less than 5 lb. because waterskin probably not full anymore).

13:20, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 23 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 20.  Attack fire elemental by throwing waterskin (asuming proficiency because fighter, otherwise -2).
13:21, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 9 using 2d4+1 with rolls of 4,4.  Crit bludgeoning damage to fire elemental from throwing waterskin (improvised) (reroll 1 or 2 once).


This message was last edited by the player at 08:15, Thu 27 Dec 2018.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 452 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Wed 26 Dec 2018
at 20:36
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano nods to Gariena as she makes to join forces, then moves toward the fire elemental. His alder focusing wand glows icy, its crystal tip covered in frost as a small beam jets across the field. Asano watches the wolfish Storol warily, a shield spell on his mind, just in case.


OOC:


12:29, Today: Secret Roll: Asano Breathkill rolled 5 using 1d8 with rolls of 5.  Ray of frost dmg.

12:29, Today: Secret Roll: Asano Breathkill rolled 16 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 10.  Ray of frost att.



Action: Cast ray of frost at fire elemental (hit- 16  dmg- 5)
Move Action: To N32
Bonus Action:


HP: 27/29 AC 12
Buffs/Debuffs:
Conditions: If someone attacks me, I will cast shield as a reaction
Spells/Sorcery Points: 1st- 4/4 2nd- 2/3, 2/4


Findarion
 player, 67 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Thu 27 Dec 2018
at 10:51
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
As the fight started, the elf took the opportunity and let loose an arrow from the longbow at the unsuspecting cultists. Hidden from their view, it was an easy shot.

After the attack, Findarion tried to hide in the tent to the best of his ability.

Attacking P1. Bonus action hide. No movement.

11:49, Today: Findarion rolled 13 using 1d20+4 ((9)). Initiative

11:48, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 11 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 3.  Hide bonus action.

11:48, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 10 using 1d8+4+2d6 with rolls of 2,3,1.  Damage.

11:47, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 18 using 2d20+6, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 8,12.  Longbow (adv. from hiding).

Magdrak
 player, 18 posts
Thu 27 Dec 2018
at 13:54
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak watched as the others moved to intercept the fire elemental, shrugged, and went along with them.

OOC:  Use Move and Dash action (50') to Q38.
DM
 GM, 1226 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 1 Jan 2019
at 22:53
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion's arrow strikes true into the cultist's back. She cries out, spinning around and glaring back up the hill towards the hilltop, but continues with the collection of cultists following in the wake of the elemental.

The group starts moving toward the fire elemental and its retinue further down the slope, but nobody manages to get within range before the creature approaches the campsite. As they approach, the elemental slows acrid black smoke rising from its form. Four figures scurry around the campsite below, hurriedly collecting belongings and looking at the towering figure of flame in terror. The elemental raises a flaming fist as it advances towards one of the humans.

Gariena continues moving reluctantly down the hill, though her sprite companions seem eager for battle. After getting a better view of the unfortunate campsite below however, Afid and Flix quickly stow their swords and reach for their bows.

Storol and Wiglaf accompany the group, descending the slope and passing near their own campsite. Storol grins eagerly as the elemental closes on the campsite, anticipating violence. His grin splits his face, almost unnaturally wide. The air about his shimmers suddenly, as his form - melts. Arms shorten, his chest and head grow think, grayish hair, and he falls forward onto all fours. He lets out a reverberating howl as his transformation completes. Storol the wolf looks eagerly downhill.

Wiglaf too seems eager to descend, and abruptly his body too begins a transformation. His nose elongates, fur grows on his face, and tufts of fur sprout all up and down his thickening chest, though he remains humanoid enough to remain upgright. His wolf's head turns towards Magdrak, a seemingly abashed look on his lupine features.


Findarion's arrow hits P1 for 10 piercing.

Map updated!

Asano, Magdrak, and Findarion are up now. Jak and Morg are welcome to post now as well, and they can change posts after the rest of this motley crew on the hillside take their turns.

Happy New Year!

Round 1 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Asano21 
Magdrak19Conc: Hunter's Mark: ??
Eternal Flame Priests (P1, P2, Lytin)17 
Sprites (Afid, Flix)15 
Werewolves (Storol, Wiglaf)15 
Findarion13 
Druids (Gariena, Varigo, Mahoon, Iniri, Fariya)11 
Fire Elemental10 
Eternal Flame Guardians (Biart, Orm, Malin)10 
Jak5 
Morg2 

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 432 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 3 Jan 2019
at 04:54
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak looked wide-eyed in surprise and disbelief at the two...changing...people? "Are those....freakin' werewolves????"</small> He looked at Magdrak who had seemed to be friends with them or at least knew them. "They good or bad? They gonna come after us?"

He moved forward to where he could get a bit better vantage on the Fire Elemental and spoke an arcane word of power, "Shatter!"


OOC: Move to S-39 (I believe will put me in range). Cast Shatter on Fire Elemental.

Don't suppose I can keep the damage roll for before for the same spell? Lol.
12 Damage (or 16 if you're generous) from Shatter, Constitution saving throw DC 14.

Magdrak
 player, 19 posts
Thu 3 Jan 2019
at 22:11
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak gave Wiglaf a sad but knowing smile, and a quick nod.  "Good man.  I'm sorry.  Fight with honor."  With a scream, he focused his hunter's instincts on the apparent leader of this rabble, and heaved his javelin.  He then charged to within melee distance, prepared to do battle.  "Let's see if you are worthy then."

OOC:
Focus Hunter's Mark on Lytin.
Throw Javelin at Lytin.
Move 20' (Q42)
16:39, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 12 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 6.  Attack with Javelin (STR-thrown).
16:40, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 7 using 1d6+4 with rolls of 3.  Damage with Javelin. (Piercing)

Findarion
 player, 69 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sun 6 Jan 2019
at 00:18
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The elf grows confused by the minute as more join the frey. As the men turn to werewolves, he almost drops his bow!

Seeing Jak's efforts, he switches targets and sends an arrow flying at the fire elemental. He's not even sure if it'd work.

01:12, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 18 using 2d20+8, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 10,10.  On elemental.
Wrong mod. Should be 16.

01:13, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 13 using 1d8+4+2d6 with rolls of 5,2,2.

If 11 was enough to hide, that's 16 to hit 13 damage.
If not it's 16 to hit 9 damage.

01:13, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 25 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 17.  Hide bonus action.


Asano Breathkill
 player, 453 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Mon 7 Jan 2019
at 19:33
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano moves toward the elemental and the southern encampment, the crystal of his wand glowing with a dread light as he stalks down the hill. He smiles as he draws abreast of Jak,encouraging his confused companion. "One problem at a time, friend," he whispers, keeping a wary eye on the newly transformed werewolves. The half-elf's wand slices through the air, an almost imperceptible clawed hand slashing against the fire elemental's bulk as he does so.




11:31, Today: Secret Roll: Asano Breathkill rolled 6 using 1d8 with rolls of 6.  Chill touch dmg.
11:31, Today: Secret Roll: Asano Breathkill rolled 22 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 16.  Chill touch.


Action: Cast chill touch against fire elemental (Hit- 22  Dmg- 6, can't regain HP)
Move Action: Move to P37
Bonus Action:


HP: 27/29 AC 12
Buffs/Debuffs:
Conditions:
Spells/Sorcery Points: 1st- 4/4 2nd- 2/3, 2/4


DM
 GM, 1231 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 9 Jan 2019
at 02:55
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano's spell latches onto the lumbering fire elemental as it lurches towards the campsite at the bottom of the hill, just as an arrow flies from far above and sinks into it's flaming form. The beast roars but doesn't flinch, and continues on.

Magdrak's javelin strikes true as he closes with Lytin and one of her guards. Turning to face him, her smirking face is ringed with the light from the flames behind her. "I was hoping you'd give me the chance to do this," she drawls. Quickly extending her hands, flames leap from them and engulf Magdrak's form, just as Biart wordlessly unsheathes his blade and strikes the dwarf twice in quick succession. The campfire roars as it expands, beginning to overtake the entire campsite.

Below, two of the priests cast spells at the fire, causing it to leap out at the druids as if alive. The druids scatter to the western side of the hill, yet one of them casts a quick spell back uphill at one of the priests, snaring her in a thicket of quickly growing vines and thorny branches.

Another of the fleeing druids spurs on a pair of elk who charge at the towering elemental. Two swipes of a fiery hand leaves one of the beasts dead on the hillside, a smoldering ruin.

The two sprites, alarmed at the sudden appearance of the werewolves, fire tiny arrows at Wiglaf, who brushes them aside as they stick into his fur. He growls at the sprites, but his attention is quickly drawn downhill towards the sound of melee below. The wolf who was once Storol, standing on four legs to the other side of the tent, growls deep in his throat.



Mid round update! Map updated!

Morg is up now, and Jak can update his post if desired.

Magdrak needs to make a Dex save to avoid the Burning Hands, and a Concentration check to maintain concentration on Hunter's Mark.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:51, Thu 10 Jan 2019.

Morg Danforge
 player, 610 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 0sd8
Wed 9 Jan 2019
at 08:15
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg runs towards the entangled priest, takes out a javelin, and hurls it at her. He then turns to the guardian (Biart) attacking Magdrak and shouts "The dwarves are upon you!"
Move: 25' to s40.

Interaction: take out javelin1.

Action: attack P1 by throwing javelin1 at her with advantage because restrained by Mahoon's Entangle - hits AC 21 for 8 piercing damage.

10:13, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 21 using 2d20+7, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 14,11.  Attack P1 with javelin1, with advantage because she's restrained and not beyond 30'.
10:13, Today: Secret Roll: Morg Danforge rolled 8 using 1d6+5 with rolls of 3.  Piercing damage to P1 from javelin1.

DM
 GM, 1234 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 10 Jan 2019
at 01:49
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Biart snarls at both dwarves as they approach.

Over her shoulder, Lytin calls to the other guards. "Leave the druids to the Fire Elemental! Help me obliterate these outsiders."


Map updated!

Asano and Findarion are up now, and Magdrak has already posted his Round 2 action. Jak and Morg are welcome to post now or later as well.

Round 1 Summary:

Asano moves down the hill and casts Chill Touch on the Fire Elemental - HIT for 6 necrotic.

Magdrak shifts Hunter's Mark to Lytin and throws a javelin at her - HIT for 10 piercing (I rolled a 3 on 1d6 for Hunter's Mark for Magdrak in the dice roller).

EF Priests:
P1 casts Control Flames at bonfire 1 and expands the area to Q54. V makes a Dex save - Success (no damage).

P2 casts Control Flames at bonfire 1 and expands the area to T56. I makes a Dex save - FAIL. I takes 10 fire damage.

Lytin casts Burning Hands towards Magdrak for 11 fire damage.


Sprites:
Fx attacks Wiglaf with shortbow - HIT for 0 piercing.

Af attacks Wiglaf with shortbow - HIT for 0 piercing.


Werewolves:
Wiglaf & Storol stay put.

Findarion fires an arrow at the fire elemental - HIT for 13 piercing.

Druids
Gariena casts Barkskin and moves further downslope.
Varigo takes 1 fire damage, then double moves out of the fire to the west.
Mahoon moves toward the west and casts Entangle at O43-R46 (now difficult terrain). P1 makes a Strength save - FAIL. P1 is restrained.
Iniri takes 2 fire damage, then double moves out of the fire to the west.
Fariya spurs on two elk to attack the fire elemental, then moves west.

E1 & E2 charge elemental - MISS.

Fire Elemental attacks E1 twice - HIT twice for 24 fire. E1 is dead.

EF Guardians
Biart attacks Magdrak twice - HITS twice for 16 slashing [reduced to 10].

Orm & Malin double move toward Mh


Jak casts Shatter on the Elemental - Elemental saves, takes 8 thunder.

Morg moves downhill and attacks P1 with javelin - HIT for 8 piercing.


Round 2 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Asano21 
Magdrak19Conc: Hunter's Mark: Lytin
Eternal Flame Priests (P1, P2, Lytin)17P1 is restrained
Sprites (Afid, Flix)15 
Werewolves (Storol, Wiglaf)15 
Findarion13 
Druids (Gariena, Varigo, Mahoon, Iniri, Fariya)11Gariena Conc: Barkskin, Mahoon Conc: Entangle
Fire Elemental10 
Eternal Flame Guardians (Biart, Orm, Malin)10 
Jak5 
Morg2 

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:09, Fri 11 Jan 2019.

Magdrak
 player, 21 posts
Thu 10 Jan 2019
at 01:50
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak feels the pain of the damage from his two foes, but manages to hold concentration on his spell of the hunt.  As the enlarging spell his him, he grows in size.  He pulls out his battleaxe and gives a mighty swing at the gloating spellcaster, fueled by righteous fury.



OOC:
Attack Lytin with Battleaxe.
Add Hunter's Mark.
Add Divine Smite (1st level slot).
01:35, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 8 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 7.  DEX Save (DC 13).
01:36, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 13 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 10.  Concentration Check.
01:46, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 20 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 17.  Concentration Check.
01:47, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 22 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 16.  Attack with Battleaxe.
01:48, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 10 using 1d8+4 with rolls of 6.  Damage with Battleaxe. (Slashing)
01:49, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 4 using 1d6 with rolls of 4.  Hunter's Mark.
02:09, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 11 using 2d8 with rolls of 6,5.  Divine Smite. (Radiant)
15:49, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 3 using 1d4 with rolls of 3.  Enlarge Extra Damage.
TOTAL DAMAGE: 17 Slashing + 11 Radiant (28)

This message was last edited by the player at 05:30, Fri 11 Jan 2019.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 455 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 10 Jan 2019
at 19:15
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
As Morg moves to join the fray, a thought makes Asano smile. His wand shifts, a silver thread reaching for both Morg and Magdrak. the thread swiftly covers both dwarves' forms, immediatley adding bulk and size to each warrior. Both dwarves double in size and power, their weapons and gear growing to match their new size.







Action: Cast enlarge, twinned, on Morg and Magdrak
Move Action:
Bonus Action:


HP: 27/29 AC 12
Buffs/Debuffs:
Conditions: Concentration (Enlarge)
Spells/Sorcery Points: 1st- 4/4 2nd- 1/3, 0/4


This message was last edited by the player at 19:18, Thu 10 Jan 2019.

Findarion
 player, 71 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Thu 10 Jan 2019
at 23:00
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Arrows continue to rain upon the fire elemental from the faraway elf.

23:58, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 18 using 1d8+2d6+4 with rolls of 6,4,4.  Sneak Attack damage.

23:58, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 19 using 2d20+6 with rolls of 1,12.  On elemental. (didn't drop lowest, should be 18 to hit)

23:59, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 18 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 10.  Hide bonus action.

DM
 GM, 1236 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 11 Jan 2019
at 23:35
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg and Magdrak abruptly grow in size, their stout forms elongating and widening. Their now massive boots leave indentations in the soft ground beneath their bulk. Magdrak smashes Lytin, who quickly reacts with a spell. She retreats eastward along the slope of the hill at an unnaturally fast pace.

Biart stumbles backward as the two dwarves tower over him. Undeterred, he brandishes his longsword in front of him, which bursts into a nimbus of flame around the blade. He quickly strikes at Morg to no avail, but his thrust at Magdrak is true. The now giant dwarf falls heavily to his knees, then face down on the hillside.

Wiglaf growls menacingly at the sprites, who quickly disappear. "You wanted to get involved in this mess," Gariena says crossly to the now invisible sprites. "Go attack the priests if you feel so strongly about it!" Suiting her own words, she casts a spell at two of the guards harrying the druids.

Filled with bloodlust, the two werewolves can restrain themselves no longer. Wiglaf plunges down the hill, headed for the struggling priest caught up in the strangling vines, will the Storol-wolf charges after the fleeing Lytin.

Another arrow plunges into the fiery elemental's back. Though it strikes true, Morg catches glimpses of the arrow shaft bursting into flame just as it strikes its target. Still, the towering elemental turns when the arrow strikes. Smoke coalesces momentarily around its face, forming two dark eye sockets and the impressions of sharp eyebrows. Gazing up the hill towards the tower, it looks displeased.

Turning back towards the camp, the elemental hammers the elk out of his way, then crashes through one of the nearby tents. Now a smouldering wreck, the ruined tent smoulders in its wake. Pursuing one of the druids, it moves directly over one of them, straddling him as he attempts to fight back against the surrounding cultists. He screams in pain as his clothes and flesh begin burning in the searing heat. As the druid loses concentration on his earlier spell, the creeping vines wither away around the trapped priestess.


Mid round update! Map updated!

Jak and Morg are up now. Magdrak will need to start death saves next round unless healed before his turn.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:05, Wed 16 Jan 2019.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 435 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sat 12 Jan 2019
at 15:07
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak turned his attention away from the fire elemental, for the moment, as he saw that jerk Biart attacking the two....suddenly...much larger....dwarves, with a flaming sword. Magdrak dropped and Jak let out a sigh. "Oh, Biart! You're a distraction more than anythin' else - but ya like t'play with fire an' heat, do ya? Let's see how much you can REALLY take, shall we?" He made a gesture, tapped on his drum and sang out a single word, "Heat!"

OOC: Move to O-37. Cast Heat Metal on Biart's armor (10 fire damage).

Constitution saving throws (DC 14) on subsequent turns or have disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks, or until he removes the armor (which I think takes a little while lol).<

08:01, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 10 using 2d8 with rolls of 3,7.  Heat Metal fire damage.

Morg Danforge
 player, 612 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 0sd8
Tue 15 Jan 2019
at 09:57
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Marthammor Duin has blessed us!" Morg says as he and Magdrak suddenly grow in size. As Magdrak falls, he says "Or not...", takes out his greatsword, and attacks the guardian(s).
Interaction: take out greatsword.

If Biart is dead, or dies from an attack by Morg, then
Move: 25' to t45/u46.

Action: if Biart is alive, attack him with greatsword, otherwise attack Orm - hits AC 12 for 19 slashing damage.

Action surge: if Biart is alive, attack him with greatsword, otherwise attack Orm - hits AC 22 for 18 slashing damage.

11:43, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 12 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 5.  Attack Biart or Orm with greatsword.
11:43, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 15 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 4,6.  Slashing damage to Biart or Orm from greatsword (reroll 1 or 2 once).
11:43, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 4 using 1d4 with rolls of 4.  Slashing damage to Biart or Orm from enlarged greatsword (I don't think GWF applies).

11:45, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 22 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 15.  (Action surge) Attack Biart or Orm with greatsword.
11:45, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 12 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 5,2.  (Action surge) Slashing damage to Biart or Orm from greatsword (reroll 1 or 2 once).
11:46, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 6 using 1d6 with rolls of 6.  Reroll of 2nd die of (Action surge) Slashing damage to Biart or Orm from greatsword.
11:46, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 2 using 1d4 with rolls of 2.  (Action surge) Slashing damage to Biart or Orm from enlarged greatsword (I don't think GWF applies).

DM
 GM, 1237 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 16 Jan 2019
at 02:03
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Biart's metal breastplate suddenly glows with unnatural heat, and the guard screams as it burns his flesh. "The heat will consume us both!" Biart yells, looking up the hill at Jak.

Morg's enlarged form swipes his massive blade at the screaming man, scoring him once from his shoulder to his midsection. The man's enraged glare takes in both Morg and Jak as he readies his next assault.


Asano and Findarion are up now. Magdrak will need to start death saves next round unless healed before his turn.

Round 2 Summary:

Asano casts Enlarge/Reduce Twinned on Magdrak and Morg.

Magdrak attacks Lytin with Divine Smite - HIT for 17 slashing and 11 radiant - total of 28 damage.

EF Priests:
P1 attempts to disentangle - FAIL.

P2 moves and casts Scorching Ray at V - HIT once for 7 fire.

Lytin Disengages and casts Expeditious Retreat, then moves east.


Sprites:
Fx turns invisible.

Af turns invisible.


Werewolves:
Wiglaf double-moves down the hill.

Storol moves after Lytin and attacks - CRIT for 7 piercing.

Findarion fires an arrow at the elemental - HIT for 18 piercing damage.

Druids
Gariena casts Entangle at O47-R50. O & M pass their strength saves vs. being restrained.
Varigo casts Barkskin and moves toward Mahoon.
Mahoon casts Thunderwave - both O & M pass con saves, take 3 thunder.
Iniri casts Thunderwave - O fails, M pass con save - O takes 7 thunder and is pushed 10' away. M takes 3 thunder.
Fariya moves up the hill (difficult terrain when climbing) and casts Barkskin.

E2 attacks elemental - MISS.

Fire Elemental attacks E2 twice - HIT twice for 17 damage. E2 is dead. Moves west and stops in Mh's space - Mh takes 3 fire and FAILS concentration check.

EF Guardians
Biart activates his flaming longsword, then attacks Magdrak - HIT for 8 slashing (reduced to 5) and 4 fire damage, for a total of 9. Magdrak is unconscious. He attacks Morg - MISS.

Orm moves uphill and activates his flaming longsword, then attacks Wiglaf - HIT twice for 6 fire.

Malin moves and activates his flaming longsword, then attacks Iniri - HITS twice for a total of 20 damage. Iniri is dead.

Jak casts Heat Metal at Biart - Biart takes 10 fire.

Morg attacks Biart - MISS. Morg uses Action Surge to attack Biart again - HIT for 18 slashing.

Round 3 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Asano21Conc: Enlarge/Reduce
Magdrak19Unconscious
Eternal Flame Priests (P1, P2, Lytin)17Lytin Conc: Exped. Retreat
Sprites (Afid, Flix)15 
Werewolves (Storol, Wiglaf)15 
Findarion13 
Druids (Gariena, Varigo, Mahoon, Fariya)11Varigo, Fariya Conc: Barkskin, Gariena Conc: Entangle
Fire Elemental10 
Eternal Flame Guardians (Biart, Orm, Malin)10 
Jak5Conc: Heat Metal
Morg2 

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:09, Wed 16 Jan 2019.

Findarion
 player, 73 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Fri 18 Jan 2019
at 09:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Seeing Lytin isolated, and fending off a werewolf, the rogue switches his targets and sends an arrow her way. As it flies, he runs out of his hiding spot and moves behind another tent, getting closer to the combat.

10:20, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 18 using 1d8+2d6+4 with rolls of 5,4,5.  Sneak Attack damage.

10:20, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 28 using 2d20+6 with rolls of 11,11.  On Lytin.
Didn't drop lowest. 17 to hit.

BA dash and move to U32.

Magdrak
 player, 23 posts
Fri 18 Jan 2019
at 15:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
As the sword slash bites into him, Magdrak falls unconscious from the weight of his injuries.



OOC:  Hunter's Mark concentration ends.

Current HP: -4/32
Lay on Hands: 20/20
Remaining Spells:
1st: 1/3


DM
 GM, 1239 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 20 Jan 2019
at 18:24
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
As Lytin fends off the werewolf with a blast of fire, Findarion's arrow arcs high, then lands squarely in Lytin's chest. She collapses to the hillside.

Abruptly the two sprites reappear further down the hillside, then fire arrows at the approaching cultists. One of the priests immediately collapses. The sprites quickly high five each other before pulling another arrow from their quivers. Gariena moves down the hillside to join them, conjuring up another mass of ensnaring vines around the some of the cultists as she walks.

As the druids from the camp below fight back valiantly, a loud explosion of fire erupts around one of them. The elemental pursues another of the druids, savagely burning him with multiple blows. Both figures collapse to the hillside, their still bodies smoking.

Biart, looking woozy from the sprite's arrow, swings his flaming blade wildly in Morg's direction, hitting only air. A moment later the blade's flames evaporate. Malin moves quickly to one of the priests. Her form is held tightly by Gariena's vines. Shaking her, she wakes and begins struggling against her bonds.


Mid round update! Map updated!

Jak and Morg are up now. Asano hasn't posted yet this round, so he can post now also. Magdrak will need to continue death saves unless healed before his turn.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:21, Wed 23 Jan 2019.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 436 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sun 20 Jan 2019
at 19:19
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jakrynn backed up slightly, not wanting to get too close to Biart - but before he did that, he called out in a singy-voice, "Heal!" Warm energy vibrating from the tap of his drum in to Magdrak's unconscious form, vibrating him back to consciousness.

Then as Jak danced away he called out tauntingly to Biart, "Whassa matter, Biart? Gettin' a bit too HOT in here for ya?"


Bonus Action: Healing Word on Magdrak (you are at 6 hit points now). You start at 0 not -4 and get 6 hit points back.
Movement: Move to P-34.
Action: Vicious Mockery on Biart: Wisdom save DC 14 or 3 psychic damage and disadvantage on next attack roll.

12:16, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 6 using 1d4+4 with rolls of 2.  Healing Word on Magdrak.
12:11, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 3 using 1d4 with rolls of 3.  Vicious Mockery damage.

Morg Danforge
 player, 613 posts
 LARGE mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 0as 0sd8
Mon 21 Jan 2019
at 14:04
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Quenchtime." Morg says to the guardian and swings at him again.
If Biart is already dead, then
Move: 20' to p44/q45.

Action: if Biart is alive, attack him with greatsword, otherwise attack Malin - hits AC 14 for 15 slashing damage.

16:02, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 14 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 7.  Attack Biart or Malin with greatsword.
16:03, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 14 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 5,4.  Slashing damage to Biart or Malin from greatsword (reroll 1 or 2 once).
16:03, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 1 using 1d4 with rolls of 1.  Slashing damage to Biart or Malin from enlarged greatsword (I don't think GWF applies).

DM
 GM, 1243 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 23 Jan 2019
at 01:20
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak retreats uphill, casting a word of healing at the fallen giant dwarf. Magdrak shakes his head groggily from the ground.

Morg's massive sword clangs off Biart's still steaming armor.


Map updated!

Asano, Magdrak, and Findarion are up now.

Round 3 Summary:

Asano hangs out.

Magdrak is unconscious.

EF Priests:
P1 casts Blur.

P2 casts Fireball at H49. Varigo FAILS save. Varigo is dead.

Lytin casts Burning Hands (Level 3) at Storol - Storol makes save, takes 7 fire.


Sprites:
Fx fires an arrow at Biart for 1 piercing. Biart FAILS save and is Poisoned.

Af fires an arrow at P1 - CRIT for 2 piercing. P1 FAILS save and falls asleep.


Werewolves:
Wiglaf attacks Orm with claws and bite - MISS.

Storol attacks Lytin with bite - MISS.


Findarion attacks Lytin with arrow - HIT for 18 piercing. Lytin is dead. He moves down the hillside.

Druids
Gariena moves down the hill and casts Entangle at R45-U48. Wiglaf, P2, and Orm all save. P1 is restrained.

Mahoon moves away from the elemental and casts Thunderwave - Elemental saves, Malin FAILS. Malin takes 5 thunder and is pushed up the hill; Elemental takes 2 thunder.

Fariya double moves around the tent.


Fire Elemental moves toward Mahoon and multiattacks - HIT twice for a total of 26 fire. Mahoon is dead.

EF Guardians
Biart attacks Morg twice (with Disadv) - MISS.

Orm attacks Wiglaf twice - HITS twice for 8 fire.

Malin moves to awaken P1.

Jak casts Healing Word on Magdrak, who is now conscious and prone with 6hp. He then moves uphill to S39 and casts V. Mockery on Biart - he saves.

Morg attacks Biart - MISS.

Round 4 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Asano21Conc: Enlarge/Reduce
Magdrak19Prone, Enlarged
Eternal Flame Priests (P1, P2)17P1: restrained, poisoned
Sprites (Afid, Flix)15 
Werewolves (Storol, Wiglaf)15 
Findarion13 
Druids (Gariena, Fariya)11Fariya Conc: Barkskin, Gariena Conc: Entangle
Fire Elemental10 
Eternal Flame Guardians (Biart, Orm, Malin)10Biart: Poisoned, heat metal
Jak5Conc: Heat Metal
Morg2Enlarged

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:07, Sat 26 Jan 2019.

Findarion
 player, 74 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Wed 23 Jan 2019
at 11:25
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Realizing the elemental was distracted, and posed no immediate threat, Findarion's arrow finds a way to pierce through Biart's armor.

BA hide first, then attack with advantage.

12:17, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 19 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 11.  Stealth.

12:17, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 36 using 2d20+6 with rolls of 16,14.  Attack with longbow on Biart. That's a 22.

12:17, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 20 using 1d8+2d6+4 with rolls of 5,6,5.  Damage.

22 to hit for 20 piercing.

Magdrak
 player, 26 posts
Thu 24 Jan 2019
at 15:37
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak arises from unconsciousness, and shakes the cobwebs out of his head.  He gets to his feet and casts a debilitating spell at the three Eternal Flame Guardians.



Use half movement to stand (12.5')
Cast Bane targeting Biart, Orm, Malin
Current HP: 6/32
Lay on Hands: 20/20
Current Spells:
1st: 0/3

This message was last edited by the player at 15:39, Thu 24 Jan 2019.

DM
 GM, 1244 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 26 Jan 2019
at 01:02
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Twin booms echo off the hillside, as another fireball explodes near the campsite to the east, and the remaining druid from the lower camp sets off another peal of thunder, this time aimed at the sparring priest and werewolf. A tent in the eastern campsite becomes a ball of flame. Flames spread at the lower campsite as well, engulfing the whole of one of the tents.

Findarion's arrow pierces Biart's chest, and he collapses to the hillside, still clutching the shaft of the fletched projectile.

The twin sprites fire more arrows just as Gariena casts another spell, this time at one of the fleeing priests. Malin falls to the hillside, snoring loudly even before he hits the ground, the tiny sprite's arrow sticking out of a gap in the man's armor. Orm runs to his side to wake him, and the man practically throws him towards Wiglaf. His sword strikes just after it bursts into flame.

The fire elemental moves quickly after the remaining druid from the lower camp. Its fiery form engulfs her as it attacks, and she screams.


Map updated!

Jak and Morg are up now. Asano can also post since he has not done so this round.


This message was last edited by the GM at 14:09, Sat 26 Jan 2019.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 440 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sat 26 Jan 2019
at 02:10
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak noted that Biart went down and felt a mixed sense of victory and relief mingled with disappointment that he used the higher-level spell on the man. He let out a sigh and moved towards the action a bit. Then he cast a spell, calling out, "Faerie Fire!" to try and make Malin and Orm easier to hit, lining them with purple flames.

OOC: Move to R-38.
Cast Faerie Fire on Malin and Orm (Dexterity saves vs DC 14 to negate)

Morg Danforge
 player, 615 posts
 LARGE mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 0as 0sd8
Sat 26 Jan 2019
at 11:08
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg stomps up to the closest guardian, shouting "Surrender", and slashes again.
Move: 15' to r43/s44.

Action: attack Malin with greatsword - hits AC 22 for 11 slashing damage.

13:05, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 22 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 15.  Attack Malin with greatsword.
13:05, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 19 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 12.  Possible advantage from Faerie Fire for attack on Malin with greatsword.
13:05, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 8 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 2,1.  Slashing damage to Malin from greatsword (reroll 1 or 2 once).
13:06, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 8 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 1,2.  Reroll both the 1 and 2. Slashing damage to Malin from greatsword.
13:06, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 3 using 1d4 with rolls of 3.  Slashing damage to Malin from enlarged greatsword (reroll 1 or 2 once).

DM
 GM, 1245 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 26 Jan 2019
at 14:09
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Figures at the other camps begin moving around their campsites, roused by the continuing explosions and sounds of battle on the hillside. Jak and Morg press the attack.


Map updated!

Asano, Magdrak, and Findarion are up now.

Round 4 Summary:

Asano hangs out.

Magdrak stands and casts Bane on Biart, Orm, Malin - Biart saves, Orm and Malin FAIL. Orm and Malin are Bane'd.

EF Priests:
P1 attempts to free herself from being restrained by the vines - success; P1 is not restrained. She casts Expeditious Retreat and moves near the elemental. Wiglaf uses reaction to take opportunity attack - HIT for 8 slashing.

P2 casts Fireball centered on Storol - Storol saves and takes 12 fire.


Sprites:
Fx fires an arrow at Malin - HIT for 1 piercing. Malin falls asleep.

Af fires an arrow at Orm - MISS.


Werewolves:
Wiglaf attacks Orm with claws and bite - bite HITS for 8 piercing. He saves vs. lycanthropy.

Storol charges after P2 and attacks with bite - MISS.


Findarion fires an arrow at Biart - HITS for 20 piercing. Biart is dead.

Druids
Gariena casts Entangle on G53-J56. P1 saves.

Fariya moves uphill and casts Thunderwave around P2 and Storol - P2 FAILS the save and takes 10 thunder, Storol succeeds and takes 5.


Fire Elemental moves & attacks Fariya - HITS twice for 20 fire. It moves into Fariya's space - she takes 5 fire.

EF Guardians
Orm moves and wakes Malin.

Malin stands, activates his flaming sword, and moves forward to attack Wiglaf twice - HITS once for 6 fire.


Jak casts Faerie Fire - Malin succeeds (after Bane), Orm FAILS. Attacks vs. Orm have advantage for the duration.

Morg attacks Malin - HIT for 11 slashing.

Round 5 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Asano21Conc: Enlarge/Reduce
Magdrak19Enlarged, Conc: Bane
Eternal Flame Priests (P1, P2)17P1: poisoned; Conc: Ex. Retreat
Sprites (Afid, Flix)15 
Werewolves (Storol, Wiglaf)15 
Findarion13 
Druids (Gariena, Fariya)11Fariya Conc: Barkskin, Gariena Conc: Entangle
Fire Elemental10 
Eternal Flame Guardians (Orm, Malin)10Orm, Malin: Bane'd; Orm: Faerie Fire; Malin: poisoned
Jak5Conc: Faerie Fire
Morg2Enlarged

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:11, Sat 26 Jan 2019.

Magdrak
 player, 27 posts
Sun 27 Jan 2019
at 16:43
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
With the cultist who had felled him having been felled himself, Magdrak maneuvers next to the other two guardians and swings at Orm with his mighty hammer, pulled from its belt loop.



OOC:
Move to P45/Q46 (20')
Attack Orm with advantage (Faerie Fire)

11:39, Today: Magdrak rolled 20 using 2d20+6, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 9,14.  Attack with Warhammer (Advantage).
11:39, Today: Magdrak rolled 7 using 1d8+4 with rolls of 3.  Damage with Warhammer. (Bludgeoning)
12:43, Today: Magdrak rolled 3 using 1d4 with rolls of 3.  Enlarge Extra Damage. (Bludgeoning)

Current HP: 6/32
Lay on Hands: 20/20
Current Spells:
1st: 0/3

This message was last edited by the player at 17:44, Mon 28 Jan 2019.

Findarion
 player, 76 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Tue 29 Jan 2019
at 18:33
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion switches back to the elemental, catching the creature off guard with another accurate shot.

19:30, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 25 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 17.  Stealth.

19:31, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 26 using 2d20+6, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 12,20.  On elemental.

19:31, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 25 using 2d8+4d6+4 with rolls of 2,2,6,4,3,4.  CRIT.

DM
 GM, 1246 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 30 Jan 2019
at 00:48
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Enraged, the priest struggles out of the tangle of vines near the bottom of the hill and casts a spell uphill towards Findarion. Another fiery explosion rocks the hillside and the tent erupts in a fountain of flame, leaving the elf exposed. The priest smirks, then hurries after the elemental.

Magdrak continues the fight against the cultist guards while Findarion's arrow flies straight and true, cutting down the priest as she runs. The towering figure of fire bellows out in rage, pointing uphill towards the tent Findarion stands behind.

The wolf attacks the other priest, biting her in the back as she finishes sending arcane flames towards Wiglaf. She spins, then quickly motions to the nearby elemental to approach and aid her. In response, the elemental lumbers uphill. As it moves, the remaining druid's body falls to the ground, burned so severely as to be unrecognizable.


Mid round update! Map updated!

Jak and Morg are up now. Asano can also post as he hasn't yet posted this round. Findarion needs to make a Dex save.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:41, Thu 31 Jan 2019.

Findarion
 player, 77 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Wed 30 Jan 2019
at 00:51
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
01:50, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 23 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 17.  Dex save.

I think after eating a fireball to the face, I would switch my target to the priest. Is that possible?

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 441 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 30 Jan 2019
at 02:02
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak took a couple of steps closer, but then saw the fire elemental coming up the hill and decided that was quite far enough for the moment, thank you very much. He called down to his long-time dwarven friend. "C'mon now, Morg. I've seen ya hit better'n that. SQAUSH HIM!"

He looked at Orm. "But you, Orm...you LITERALLY can't hit the broadside of a barn-sized dwarf!!"


Movement: Move 1 square 'south' on the map.
Bonus Action: Bardic Inspiration on Morg (1d6 usable on one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw).
Action: Vicious Mockery on Orm, Wisdom save DC 14 or suffer 2 psychic damage and disadvantage on the next attack roll he makes.

18:57, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 2 using 1d4 with rolls of 2.  Vicious Mockery damage.

Morg Danforge
 player, 617 posts
 LARGE mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 0as 0sd8
Wed 30 Jan 2019
at 08:41
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg chuckles at Jak, "Ooh, barn", and slashes again.
Action: attack Malin with greatsword - hits AC 22 for 10 slashing damage.

Bardic inspiration: unused.

10:36, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 22 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 15.  Attack Malin with greatsword.
10:37, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 9 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 2,2.  Slashing damage to Malin from greatsword (reroll 1 or 2 once).
10:38, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 9 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 1,3.  Rerolling both 2s, slashing damage to Malin from greatsword.
10:39, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 1 using 1d4 with rolls of 1.  Slashing damage to Malin from enlarged greatsword (reroll 1 or 2 once).
10:40, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 1 using 1d4 with rolls of 1.  Rerolling 1, slashing damage to Malin from enlarged greatsword.

DM
 GM, 1248 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 31 Jan 2019
at 03:53
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The battle continues to rage, the hill showing scorch marks and deep rents where magic and steel have been wielded.


Map updated!

Asano, Magdrak, and Findarion are up now.

Round 5 Summary:

Asano hangs out.

Magdrak attacks Orm - HIT for 10 bludgeoning.

EF Priests:
P1 casts Fireball centered on Findarion. Findarion saves for half damage and takes 16 fire . She uses Expeditious Retreat to double-move towards the elemental.

P2 casts Scorching Ray at Wiglaf - CRIT once for 10 fire.


Sprites turn invisible.

Werewolves:
Wiglaf attacks Malin with claws and bite - MISS.

Storol attacks P2 with bite - HIT for 8 piercing. P2 saves vs. lycanthropy.


Findarion hides, then fires an arrow at P1 - CRIT for 25 piercing. P1 is dead.

Druids
Gariena casts barkskin.

Fariya takes 6 fire - Fariya is dead.


Fire Elemental moves uphill to attack Storol twice - MISS.

EF Guardians
Orm attacks Magdrak twice (with bane penalty) - MISS.

Malin attacks Morg twice (with disadv & bane penalties) - MISS.


Jak steps forward and uses Bardic Inspiration on Morg. He casts Vicious Mockery on Orm - FAIL. Orm takes 2 psychic and has disadvantage on his next attack roll.

Morg attacks Malin - HIT for 10 slashing.

Round 6 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Asano21Conc: Enlarge/Reduce
Magdrak19Enlarged, Conc: Bane
Eternal Flame Priest P217 
Sprites (Afid, Flix)15 
Werewolves (Storol, Wiglaf)15 
Findarion13 
Gariena11Gariena Conc: Barkskin
Fire Elemental10 
Eternal Flame Guardians (Orm, Malin)10Orm, Malin: Bane'd; Orm: Faerie Fire & disadv on NA; Malin: poisoned
Jak5Conc: Faerie Fire
Morg2Enlarged; B. Inspiration

Findarion
 player, 78 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sun 3 Feb 2019
at 00:20
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Narrowly avoiding fiery doom, the elf aims and shoots at the dangerous fire-wielding priests.

I assume 11 wasn't high enough to hide from P2. I still get sneak attack from Storol being adjacent to them.

01:19, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 13 using 1d8+2d6+4 with rolls of 4,1,4.  Damage.

01:19, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 13 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 7.  Attack on P2.

01:18, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 11 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 3.  Hide bonus action.

Magdrak
 player, 29 posts
Sun 3 Feb 2019
at 01:12
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak keeps his focus on his spell while avoiding attacks, and responds with another mighty swing from his hammer.

OOC:
Attack Orm.

20:07, Today: Magdrak rolled 24 using 2d20+6, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 18,10.  Attack with Warhammer (Advantage).
20:09, Today: Magdrak rolled 11 using 1d8+4 with rolls of 7.  Damage with Warhammer. (Bludgeoning)
20:09, Today: Magdrak rolled 1 using 1d4 with rolls of 1.  Enlarge Extra Damage. (Bludgeoning)

Current HP: 6/32
Lay on Hands: 20/20
Current Spells:
1st: 0/3

This message was last edited by the player at 01:13, Sun 03 Feb 2019.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 458 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sun 3 Feb 2019
at 03:50
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano, confident that his twinned enlargement spell will hold without his full concentration, turns his focus to the enemies flanked by Morg, Magdrak, and Wiglaf. Two beams of icy power cut through the air, connecting with both targets at full power. He smirks, marching down the hill cautiously.





19:44, Today: Secret Roll: Asano Breathkill rolled 14 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 8.  Ray of Frost vs Orm.
19:45, Today: Secret Roll: Asano Breathkill rolled 20 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 14.  RoF (Adv) vs Orm.
19:45, Today: Secret Roll: Asano Breathkill rolled 8 using 1d8 with rolls of 8.  Orm RoF.


Action: Cast Ray of Frost at Orm (Orm: Hit- 14/20  Dmg- 8)
Move Action: Move to P41
Bonus Action:


HP: 27/29 AC 12
Buffs/Debuffs:
Conditions: Conc Enlarge (Morg/Mag)
Spells/Sorcery Points: 1st- 4/4 2nd- 1/3, 0/4


This message was last edited by the player at 20:02, Sun 03 Feb 2019.

DM
 GM, 1250 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 5 Feb 2019
at 00:27
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
As Asano and Magdrak's attacks cut down Orm, the remaining priest's face contorts in a mix between rage and ecstasy. "Forget the other camps. Exterminate these next!" she screeches, pointing at the giant dwarves. Fire flares from her outstretched hands, wreathing Wiglaf and Morg in flames as she attempts to skirt the ravening wolf before her. Storol leaps at her as she is distracted, clamping his jaws on her outstretched arm.

Flix and Afid blink into view again, fluttering their wings over Magdrak's shoulder. Knocking arrows they fire at the priest in smooth motions, making rude gestures as Afid's projectile grazes the woman's leg.

In response to the priestess' call, the elemental lunges twice at Storol's lupine form, then engulfs the werewolf in its fiery form. The air begins to reek of scorched fur.


Mid round update!

Map updated!

Jak and Morg are up now. Morg needs to make a Dex save.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:49, Wed 06 Feb 2019.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 443 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 5 Feb 2019
at 01:17
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak grimaced. He let his concentration fade on Faerie Fire as Orm, the only foe limned by it, collapsed. His eyes tracked Malin but then instead settled on the priest controlling the elemental. He didn't know if the elemental would just go rampant if the priest were no longer controlling it or not, but he wasn't sure what all he could do to the elemental.

He called out to Magdrak. "C'mon, Magdrak! You're a big man on the field now, so step up an' smash, alright?"

He followed that, grinning, by taunting the priest. "You're showin' an AMAZIN' amount'a control...not on the elemental, mind you, yer shite at that - but by NOT PISSIN' YERSELF YET! We're comin' for ya!" He let out a wicked laugh. "Malin's got the right idea!"


Movement: Step to T-42.
Action: Cast Vicious Mockery on the remaining Priest (P1 I believe).
Bonus Action: Bardic Inspiration to Magdrak.

Morg Danforge
 player, 619 posts
 LARGE mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 0as 0sd8
Tue 5 Feb 2019
at 07:43
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg closes his eyes as he's engulfed in flames, and backs away.

"Ooh, burn." he says as he drops his hot greatsword, takes out a javelin, and hurls it at the fire priest.
Failed Dexterity save with a 6 against P2's Burning hands.

Move: 10' (half speed for difficult terrain going north) to t41/u42.

Free action: drop greatsword.

Interaction: take out javelin2.

Action: attack P2 with javelin2 - hits AC 26 for 9 piercing damage.

Bardic inspiration: unused.

09:23, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 6 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 5. Dexterity save against P2's Burning hands, DC 13.
09:38, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 26 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 19.  Attack P2 with javelin2.
09:38, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 9 using 1d6+5 with rolls of 4.  Piercing damage to P2 from javelin2.

DM
 GM, 1251 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 6 Feb 2019
at 03:48
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The priestess grunts at Jak's insult, then again as Morg's javelin pierces her side. She remains upright however, and urges the elemental on.


Map updated!

Asano, Magdrak, and Findarion are up now.

Round 6 Summary:

Asano attacks Orm with Ray of Frost - HIT for 8 cold. Orm's speed is reduced by 10' until the start of Asano's next turn.

Magdrak attacks Orm - HIT for 12 bludgeoning. Orm is dead.

EF Priest P2 casts Burning Hands, affecting Wiglaf and Morg. Wiglaf saves and takes 4 fire. Morg takes 9 fire . P2 then moves to V47.

Sprites:
Fx attacks P2 with an arrow - MISS.

Af attacks P2 with an arrow - CRIT for 2 piercing. P2 saves vs poison.


Werewolves:
Wiglaf attacks Malin with claws and bite - HITS with claws for 6 slashing.

Storol attacks P2 - HIT for 4 piercing. P2 FAILS save.


Findarion attacks P2 - HIT for 13 piercing.

Gariena casts Shillelagh and attacks Malin - MISS.

Fire Elemental attacks Storol twice - HIT twice for 21 fire. It moves into Storol's space; Storol takes 4 more fire.

Malin Disengages and moves onto the path.

Jak casts Vicious Mockery on P2 - FAIL. P2 takes 2 psychic and has disadvantage on the next attack. He casts Bardic Inspiration on Magdrak.

Morg moves up the hill (avoiding Jak who moved into his path) and throws a javelin at P2 - HIT for 9 piercing.

Round 7 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Asano21Conc: Enlarge/Reduce
Magdrak19Enlarged, Conc: Bane, B. Inspiration
Eternal Flame Priest P217Disadv on NA
Sprites (Afid, Flix)15 
Werewolves (Storol, Wiglaf)15 
Findarion13 
Gariena11Gariena Conc: Barkskin
Fire Elemental10 
Eternal Flame Guardian Malin10bane'd, poisoned
Jak5 
Morg2Enlarged; B. Inspiration

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:48, Wed 06 Feb 2019.

Magdrak
 player, 30 posts
Wed 6 Feb 2019
at 04:30
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak, aware of the cover he is providing the sprites, stands his ground and focuses healing on himself.  He then taunts the fire elemental and the priest controlling it.  "I'm not afraid of a little fire.  Bring it to me!"

OOC:
Lay on Hands self for 20.

Current HP: 26/32
Lay on Hands: 0/20
Current Spells:
1st: 0/3

Findarion
 player, 79 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sun 10 Feb 2019
at 16:25
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The elf continues to rain arrows upon the priest, wary of another ball of fire coming his way.

17:24, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 14 using 1d8+2d6+4 with rolls of 3,2,5.  Sneak Attack damage.

17:24, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 38 using 2d20+6 with rolls of 19,13.  Longbow (adv. from hiding) on P2.

17:23, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 25 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 17.  Hide bonus action.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 460 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sun 10 Feb 2019
at 19:05
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"And how quickly you abandon your cause," Asano mutters as one of the enemies breaks away from combat. His focus glows with a baleful light as the sorcerer slashes it through the air in front of him. Simultaneously, a glowing, ghostly hand claws at the fleeing enemy.





11:04, Today: Secret Roll: Asano Breathkill rolled 8 using 1d8 with rolls of 8.  Chill Touch dmg.
11:03, Today: Secret Roll: Asano Breathkill rolled 19 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 13.  Chill Touch vs Malin.


Action: Cast Chill Touch at Malin (Malin: Hit- 19  Dmg- 8)
Move Action:
Bonus Action:


HP: 27/29 AC 12
Buffs/Debuffs:
Conditions: Conc Enlarge (Morg/Mag), Will cast shield if necessary
Spells/Sorcery Points: 1st- 4/4 2nd- 1/3, 0/4


DM
 GM, 1252 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 12 Feb 2019
at 02:30
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano's spell takes Malin in the neck, manifesting as a sickly grey claw choking his life away.  Gasping and struggling, he collapses to the hillside.

Screaming defiance, the priest hurls waves of fire at the werewolf trapped within the form of the elemental, scorching its wolven form with even hotter flames than before. The shaft of another of Findarion's arrows suddenly blooms in her chest, and she too collapses, grasping its shaft in mute surprise. Lowering his bow momentarily, the smoke from the roaring fire that was once a tent obscures his form from those below.

The fire elemental looks confused for a moment, turning its fiery gaze at the two fallen cultists. He then turns and starts moving away from the hillside, towards the low hills in the distance.

As it moves, the charred form of Storol becomes visible, still smoking in the smoldering grass. Wiglaf howls at the sight of the dead wolf, then darts toward the dead body of the priest. He begins tearing at the corpse, ripping and rending the body as would a wild animal.

"Well, we can't let that thing go gallavanting around the countryside, I suppose," Gariena says reluctantly. Stepping forward, she waves her arms and triggers a massive clap of thunder, overturning nearby rocks and sending the fire elemental itself stumbling back downhill. Roaring, the being of flame lumbers back uphill, swinging its limbs wildly after Gariena and Magdrak.


Mid round update! Map updated!

Jak and Morg are up now.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:07, Tue 12 Feb 2019.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 444 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 12 Feb 2019
at 02:48
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak frowned as one of the two 'werewolves' died. He thought they might not be good 'people' but that didn't stop him from feeling bad, one dead and the other in angry mourning. He stepped back up the hill a bit, just to make sure he wasn't in easy range of the elemental. Then he called down to it, "Masterless, soulless, penniless, and friendless - it's a wonder you can make yourself move on at all." That was less a mock and just...mean, but he wasn't in the mood and he wanted this fight done with.

Movement: Move to R-40.
Action: Vicious Mockery on Fire Elemental (Wis Save DC 14 or 2 psychic damage and disadvantage on next attack roll).

19:44, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 2 using 1d4 with rolls of 2.  Vicious Mockery damage.

Morg Danforge
 player, 620 posts
 LARGE mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 0as 0sd8
Tue 12 Feb 2019
at 09:05
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Not wanting to get burned again, Morg backs up to the tent and hurls a javelin at the fire elemental, hoping to squish it.
Move: 10' (half speed for difficult terrain going north) to u39/v40.

Interaction: take out javelin3.

Action: attack fire elemental with javelin3 - hits AC 13 for 8 piercing damage.

Bardic inspiration: used.

11:02, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 10 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 3.  Attack fire elemental with javelin3.
11:03, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 3 using 1d6 with rolls of 3.  Bardic inspiration for attacking fire elemental.
11:03, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 8 using 1d6+5 with rolls of 3.  Piercing damage to fire elemental from javelin3.

DM
 GM, 1253 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 12 Feb 2019
at 23:06
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg's javelin burns up as it pierces the towering figure of flame. Swatting the ashes of the weapon away, the elemental again looks west to the surrounding hills, then seems about to continue in that direction.


Map updated!

Asano, Magdrak, and Findarion are up now.

Round 7 Summary:

Asano casts Chill Touch at Malin - HIT for 8 necrotic. Malin is dead.

Magdrak heals himself.

EF Priest P2 casts Burning Hands at Level 2 - Storol takes 15 fire damage. Storol is dead.

Sprites turn invisible.

Wiglaf charges P2 and attacks - MISS.

Findarion fires an arrow at P2 - HIT for 14 piercing. P2 is dead.

Gariena moves forward and casts Thunderwave so that it affects only the fire elemental - elemental FAILS. Elemental takes 10 thunder and is pushed back 10'.

Fire Elemental moves uphill and attacks Magdrak and Gariena - MISS.

Jak moves up hill and casts Vicious Mockery on elemental - elemental saves.

Morg attacks elemental with javelin, using bardic inspiration - HIT for 8 piercing (halved to 4). The javelin is destroyed.

Round 8 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Asano21Conc: Enlarge/Reduce
Magdrak19Enlarged, B. Inspiration
Sprites (Afid, Flix)15 
Wiglaf15 
Findarion13 
Gariena11Gariena Conc: Barkskin
Fire Elemental10 
Jak5 
Morg2Enlarged

Asano Breathkill
 player, 461 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Wed 13 Feb 2019
at 00:16
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano nods to Gariena as she attracts the elemental's attention back up the hill. He studies the creature carefully, attempting to find a way to break the creature's binding now that it's masters are dead.

OOC:
Arcana- 8/20
Using Tides of Chaos for the advantage. Just trying to discern if there is a way to break the elemental's binding without just killing it.

Findarion
 player, 80 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Wed 13 Feb 2019
at 15:47
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
All the other threats dealt with, the rogue renews his efforts to take down the elemental.

16:47, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 12 using 1d8+2d6+4 with rolls of 2,5,1.  Sneak Attack damage.
16:46, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 23 using 2d20+6, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 17,7.  Attack elemental.
16:46, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 24 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 16.  Hide bonus action.

Magdrak
 player, 31 posts
Fri 15 Feb 2019
at 05:52
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak grunts as he feels the heat of the elemental's missed attack.  He returns an attack of his own, wanting to fell the creature soon.



OOC:
Attack Fire Elemental with Warhammer.

Current HP: 26/32
Lay on Hands: 0/20
Current Spells:
1st: 0/3

00:46, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 13 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 7.  Attack with Warhammer.
00:47, Today: Magdrak rolled 11 using 1d8+4 with rolls of 7.  Damage with Warhammer. (Bludgeoning)
00:48, Today: Magdrak rolled 2 using 1d4 with rolls of 2.  Enlarge Extra Damage. (Bludgeoning)

DM
 GM, 1256 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 18 Feb 2019
at 00:42
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Around the hillside, a slow chant begins to build from the other campsites.

Wicker Giant come alive
Spread your flames around the hillside
Spread your fires around the world
Banner of Eternal Flame unfurled

Purify the stench of city and town
Sear away nature's foul green and brown
Char and burn both beast and man
Leave only wasteland, let nothing stand.
Vanifer will rule all.

Destroy... destroy... destroy...


The final word is repeated endlessly as blows rain down on the elemental's form, dimming its light somewhat. Swiping at its assailants, the giant flame being tries to sweep past them towards the surrounding hills. Gariena cowers back but is hit full in the face with flame. Her garb of greens and browns begins smoking, and bright spots of flame jump from her clothing.

The elemental moves off to the west, engulfing both Magdrak and Gariena in its form as it passes. Smoke rises from their forms as tiny flames sprout from their flammable garments.

"We can't let it get away! It will wreak havoc on the countryside." Gariena objects weakly, clearly severely wounded. She makes no move to follow the elemental, but swings wildly at it as it passes. Her strike connects, a blast of flame blows back at her. Her body falls to the ground, still burning.



Mid round update! Map updated!

Jak and Morg are up now. Magdrak can make an opportunity attack if he wishes, though it's clear every melee blow against the elemental will incur some fire damage. Magdrak is also currently on fire.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:33, Tue 19 Feb 2019.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 445 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 18 Feb 2019
at 01:54
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak looked around as the chanting started up. Who the hell was that coming from? Hadn't all the priests been killed? Or was that just from crazy cultists scattered about still? He let out a sigh.

"this is so dumb..." He moved after the elemental and then tapped on his drum a bit as he gestured towards the elemental and called out the arcane-infused word, "SHATTER!"

Movement: Move to L-40.
Action: Cast Shatter at the elemental (Constitution save DC 14. 16 damage, half on a successful save).
Bonus Action: None.

18:51, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 16 using 3d8 with rolls of 7,2,7.  Thunder damage.

Magdrak
 player, 32 posts
Mon 18 Feb 2019
at 05:06
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak as the fire elemental passes through him, his beard and armor catch fire, causing a yelp.  He reacts quickly and swings his hammer at the elemental's retreating form, hopefully for the last time.



OOC:
Attack Fire Elemental (Reaction)
Using Bardic Inspiration

23:56, Today: Magdrak rolled 9 13 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 3.  Attack with Warhammer.
23:58, Today: Magdrak rolled 4 using 1d6 with rolls of 4.  Bardic Inspiration (add to Attack).
23:58, Today: Magdrak rolled 11 using 1d8+4 with rolls of 7.  Damage with Warhammer. (Bludgeoning)
23:59, Today: Magdrak rolled 2 using 1d4 with rolls of 2.  Enlarge Extra Damage.



Current HP: 15/32
Lay on Hands: 0/20
Current Spells:
1st: 0/3

Morg Danforge
 player, 622 posts
 LARGE mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 0as 0sd8
Mon 18 Feb 2019
at 05:17
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg rushes to Magdrak and puts out the flames before they singe too much of the paladin's beard.
Move: 25' to q43/r44.

Action: put out Magdrak's flames.

Interaction: take out javelin4.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:18, Mon 18 Feb 2019.

DM
 GM, 1258 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 19 Feb 2019
at 04:33
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Another massive crash of thunder echos across the hillside centered around the elemental as it flees west. The giant dwarf Morg comes down the hillside to tamp out the flames rising from the form of the second giant dwarf, Magdrak.


Map updated!

Asano, Magdrak, and Findarion are up now.

Round 8 Summary:

Asano studies the elemental. He thinks that it is no longer restricted or bound in its actions (if it ever was). There might be a way to banish it using a particular ritual (perhaps the reverse of the one that brought it here), but that would require more research and study.

Magdrak attacks the elemental - HIT for 13 bludgeoning (halved to 6). Magdrak takes 1 fire from the attack.

Sprites remain invisible.

Wiglaf stays put.

Findarion fires an arrow at the elemental - HIT for 12 piercing (halved to 6).

Gariena attacks the elemental with quarterstaff (w/Shillelagh) - HIT for 5 bludgeoning. She takes 6 fire.

Fire Elemental attacks both Magdrak and Gariena - HITS Gariena for 5 fire. Gariena is on fire. Elemental moves west per map, through Magdrak & Gariena's spaces. Magdrak takes 10 fire and Gariena takes 9 fire. Both Magdrak and Gariena are on fire, and take 1d10 fire at the beginning of each of their turns until the flames are put out (can be done with an action or via other means).

Gariena takes an opportunity attack - HIT for 6 bludgeoning. She takes 10 fire from her attack - Gariena is dead.

Magdrak takes an opportunity attack - HIT for 13 bludgeoning (halved to 6). Magdrak takes 8 fire damage .

Jak moves west and casts Shatter - Elemental saves and takes 8 thunder.

Morg moves down the hill and puts out Magdrak.

Round 9 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Asano21Conc: Enlarge/Reduce
Magdrak19Enlarged
Sprites (Afid, Flix)15Invisible
Wiglaf15 
Findarion13 
Fire Elemental10 
Jak5 
Morg2Enlarged

Asano Breathkill
 player, 462 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Tue 19 Feb 2019
at 05:22
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Watching Gariena fall under the masterless elemental's assault, Asano retreats from the hulking form. He pulls a slim wand from his sleeve, turning and snapping an arcane word. Six tiny missiles rapidly fire from the wand's tip, slamming into the fiery monster.






21:20, Today: Asano Breathkill rolled 14 using 6d4+6 ((1,1,1,2,1,2)).


Action: Activate Wand of Magic Missiles x6 charges - 14 force damage to elemental
Move Action: Move to K37
Bonus Action:


HP: 27/29 AC 12
Buffs/Debuffs:
Conditions: Conc Enlarge (Morg/Mag), Will cast shield if necessary
Spells/Sorcery Points: 1st- 4/4 2nd- 1/3, 0/4


This message was last edited by the GM at 12:35, Fri 22 Feb 2019.

Findarion
 player, 81 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sat 23 Feb 2019
at 02:20
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Another arrow flies past the large dwarves, the sheer number wearing down the elemental.

03:19, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 13 using 1d8+2d6+4 with rolls of 3,2,4.  Sneak Attack damage.

03:18, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 13 using 2d20+6, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 3,7.  Attack elemental.

03:18, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 19 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 11.  Hide bonus action.

Magdrak
 player, 33 posts
Sat 23 Feb 2019
at 02:57
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak yells out a quick "Thanks!" to Morg, then charges the fire elemental with a roar.  He swings his warhammer in a rage, hoping to finally put the creature down.



OOC:
Move to K45/L46 (Movement)
Attack Fire Elemental (Action)

If I'm still standing after my attack, and it continues to move away, I'll take a reaction to swing again this round.

21:49, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 24 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 18.  Attack with Warhammer.
21:50, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 10 using 1d8+4 with rolls of 6.  Damage with Warhammer. (Bludgeoning)
21:50, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 1 using 1d4 with rolls of 1.  Enlarge Extra Damage.



Current HP: 7/32
Lay on Hands: 0/20
Current Spells:
1st: 0/3

DM
 GM, 1260 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 24 Feb 2019
at 21:10
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The blowback from Morg's attack blasts him full in the face, scorching his beard and face. He collapses heavily to the hillside once again.

The missile attacks from Asano and Findarion slam into the elemental as he moves away, the flames from his form significantly reduced. Though still emitting light, its vaguely humanoid form seems to flicker as it moves, sometimes disappearing entirely.

Wiglaf continues to hunch over one of the fallen cultists, apparently absorbed in some gruesome activity.


Mid round update! Map updated!

Jak and Morg are up now. Magdrak will once again need to roll death saves on his turn.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:01, Tue 26 Feb 2019.

Morg Danforge
 player, 623 posts
 LARGE mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 0as 0sd8
Sun 24 Feb 2019
at 22:04
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg rushes to go help his fellow dwarf.
Move: 25' to ac43/ad44.

Action: if Magdrak's on fire, put out the fire;
if he's not on fire and still unconscious then stabilize him with 17 medicine check;
if he's not on fire and healed, then attack fire elemental with javelin4 - hits AC 9 for 9 piercing damage.

23:57, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 17 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 16.  Medicine check (DC 10) to stabilize Magdrak if he's unconscious.
00:01, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 9 using 2d20+7, dropping the highest dice only with rolls of 13,2.  Attack fire elemental with javelin4 with disadvantage (farther than 30', but closer than 120').
00:01, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 9 using 1d6+5 with rolls of 4.  Piercing damage to fire elemental from javelin4.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 446 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 25 Feb 2019
at 18:09
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak watched as the fire elemental made haste and hurried away from them all. He frowned, eyeballing the distance and thinking he didn't really have anything with that kind of range. So instead he turned his attention to Magdrak, who had fallen again.

He put his hands on his hips and let out a mock-sigh of frustration. "Some people! Just don't well enough to pull their hand out of the fire when it's hot!" He then smiled and let out a small chuckle before pointing at the downed dwarf with one finger and uttering the arcane-infused phrase, "Healing Word!"


11:08, Today: Secret Roll: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 8 using 1d4+4 with rolls of 4.  Healing Word on Magdrak....again (lol).
DM
 GM, 1261 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 26 Feb 2019
at 01:01
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The chants around the hillside fade as the burning giant moves off to the west. Magdrak's javelin falls a few feet short of its target.


Map updated!

Asano, Magdrak (now conscious and prone), and Findarion are up now.

Round 9 Summary:

Asano uses the Wand of Magic Missiles to cast 6 missiles at Elemental - HIT for 14 force.

Magdrak follows the elemental and attacks - HIT for 11 bludgeoning (halved to 5). Magdrak takes 7 blowback fire damage. Magdrak is unconscious.

Sprites remain invisible.

Wiglaf stays put.

Findarion fires an arrow at the elemental - HIT for 13 piercing (halved to 6).

Fire Elemental double moves west.

Jak casts Healing Word on Magdrak, who regains 8 hp.

Morg attacks elemental with thrown javelin - MISS.

Round 10 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Asano21Conc: Enlarge/Reduce - ends after round 11
Magdrak19Enlarged
Sprites (Afid, Flix)15Invisible
Wiglaf15 
Findarion13 
Fire Elemental10 
Jak5 
Morg2Enlarged

Magdrak
 player, 34 posts
Thu 28 Feb 2019
at 04:16
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak arises from his most recent bout of unconsciousness, and stands up with a grunt.  "Thanks again!"

He pulls out another javelin and hurls it at the fleeing form of the elemental.



OOC:
Stand Up (1/2 Movement)
Wield Javelin (Free Action)
Throw Javelin at Fire Elemental w/Disadvantage (Action)

23:12, Today: Magdrak rolled 19 using 2d20+6, keeping the lowest dice only with rolls of 16,13.  Attack with Javelin (STR-thrown).
23:12, Today: Magdrak rolled 9 using 1d6+4 with rolls of 5.  Damage with Javelin. (Piercing)

Current HP: 8/32
Lay on Hands: 0/20
Current Spells:
1st: 0/3

Asano Breathkill
 player, 464 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 28 Feb 2019
at 21:01
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Eyes widening at the elemental's fast approach, Asano continues backpedaling. His focusing wand glows and with a few arcance words a small handful of razor sharp snowflakes launch from its tip at the elemental.





12:59, Today: Asano Breathkill rolled 22 using 5d6 with rolls of 5,2,6,3,6.  Wild Magic 54 result.
12:58, Today: Asano Breathkill rolled 54 using 1d100 with rolls of 54.  Wild Magic table.
12:58, Today: Asano Breathkill rolled 18 using 4d4+4 with rolls of 4,2,4,4.  Magic Missile 2nd level.


Action: Cast 2nd level Magic Missile at Elemental (Dmg- 18)
Move Action: Move to AA37
Bonus Action:


HP: 27/29 AC 12
Buffs/Debuffs: Cannot be intoxicated by alcohol for 22 days
Conditions: Conc Enlarge (Morg/Mag), Will cast shield if necessary
Spells/Sorcery Points, Tides of Chaos: 1st- 4/4 2nd- 0/3, 0/4, Yes


DM
 GM, 1263 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 1 Mar 2019
at 00:14
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The snowflakes slam into the fading form of the elemental. Its form abruptly melts, scattering a number of small fires onto the grass. Magdrak and Morg shrink quickly back to their normal sizes, shortly after the demise of the elemental.

Echos of the chanting cultists fade, and small burning embers float lazily through the clearing air. The air is still as lengthening afternoon shadows creep across the hillside. The campsites dotting the area show no signs of movement.

Wiglaf finally raises his head and looks around. His form shimmers, and he resumes his earlier human form, rumpled clothes streaked with dirt and blood. Sullenly, his sits on the ground.



And we're out of initiative!

XP Gained: 5250
XP Gained Each: 1312.5
Current XP (each PC): 5243.75

Asano Breathkill
 player, 465 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Fri 1 Mar 2019
at 02:35
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano surveys the now-quiet battlefield solemnly. He moves to the fallen form of Gariena, murmuring a quiet prayer for the dead. He looks around for the sprites that seemed to follow the druid.
Magdrak
 player, 35 posts
Fri 1 Mar 2019
at 05:36
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak moves around, gathering his fallen weapons and returning them to their proper places.  Walking over to Wiglaf, he sits down next to the other, though keeping his head down and avoiding eye contact.  "You fought with honor, Wiglaf.  I'm sorry about your friend."  After a pregnant pause, he continues.  "How'd it happen, man?  And when?  Were you hiding it while you were with the Bloodaxes?  It must be a heavy burden."  Another pause.  "Anything I can do?"  After this last, Magdrak finally bucks up the courage to look the man in the eyes.
Morg Danforge
 player, 624 posts
 LARGE mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 0as 0sd8
Fri 1 Mar 2019
at 08:58
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg collects his salvageable javelins, and takes out his scroll case as he walks over to Magdrak. Noticing the apparent familiarity the dwarf has with the werewolf, he stays a few feet away to allow them to talk in private.
How many javelins are still usable?
Findarion
 player, 82 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sat 2 Mar 2019
at 10:50
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
From behind the smoking tent comes the stealthy elf, whose clothes are charred by the blast of fire. He coughs up smoke and tries to wipe soot off his cloak.

"Best not get complacent. There was more of them. I sure wish we kept one of the cultists alive for questioning... what's done is done, however."
DM
 GM, 1265 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 2 Mar 2019
at 13:47
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Flix abruptly appears, blinking into view as he lands near Jak. Pulling out his bow and smoothly knocking an arrow, he points it at Asano as he kneels near Gariena's still form. "She's dead," he says flatly. "You going to do something like that fellow over there was doing?" He indicates Wiglaf, still seated near the ruined body of one of the cultists.

Wiglaf immediately looks away from Magdrak's gaze, woodenly looking at a blade of grass between his legs. "It was when I was on a patrol, a few months ago," he murmurs. "Nearly pitch black, and could barely see who - what - we were fighting. We drove them off. A couple of us got wounded, Storol and I, and another guy whose name I forgot got killed. Didn't think nothing of it really, just another battle scar. A few nights later though, the full moon came out and turned me into that horrible monster."

"Storol and me stayed with the Bloodaxes for as long as we could, but when we came here there was something started pulling at us. We talked about it some. Feeling like we were on the edge of violence at any given moment. Storol flat out transformed into a wolf not ten feet from group that was arguin' about working with this cult or leaving to find more worthy patrons. Lucky he wasn't seen. Both of us felt the constant call to violence, but Storol seemed to revel in it. It was a relief when the others left. We just stayed behind. I guess like you did."


"After we stayed, Storol got worse and worse. He'd get all excited when the cultists would talk to us about kidnappin' and killin' the innocent. It were a mercy he's been killed." He sighs bitterly. "Guess I'm still here though. Don't suppose you'd like to help with that?"


@Morg: Only one of your javelins was burned irreparably, so I think that puts you as still having 3.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:48, Sat 02 Mar 2019.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 447 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sat 2 Mar 2019
at 16:24
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak frowned deeply at the news and looked sorrowfully at Flix. "I'm so sorry." And he meant it. He wished he'd been paying more attention. He could have tried to heal her - but he was no cleric, he had a limited amount of healing to toss around. "What will you do after we bury her?" And he meant that to. He was going to put her to rest.

He looked around. "Where she should we bury her? Top of the hill?" He paused and looked at Flix. "Actually...would she want to be buried? Or something else?"
DM
 GM, 1266 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 2 Mar 2019
at 21:22
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Afid appears suddenly near Jak, eyeing the tall rogue warily.

"I don't know the druid's Rite of Passing, but probably burying or cremating her would be best. No telling what sort of animals there are around here who would desecrate her remains." She sticks her tongue out at Wiglaf. The werewolf pays her no mind.


Here's a link to the map of the hillside, in case you want to see the lay of the land around the hill. The second slide shows a zoomed-out view of the whole hill.

Magdrak
 player, 36 posts
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 05:24
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak sighs.  "That's... a lot to ask.  I really don't want to have to do that to a friend.  And you seem to be able to control yourself, even in battle.  Is that really what you want, to be put down?"
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 448 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 06:11
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak looked at his companions, scattered a bit as they were. "Will you all stay with me a a few moments? I wanna put Gariena's soul t'rest if we can, say a few quick words, an' burn her body so it's not ravaged by animals." As he spoke, he picked up her body up over his shoulders with some effort, and moved it closer to the nearest bonfire.

For expediency's sake, assuming it's okay...

Once there, he spoke a few formal words over the body, as not religious as he was, he had been to a few funerals and he parodied what he heard at one of them. "We set her body on the ground, that from which we spring. We light her body with fire so that her remains, like her soul, can take flight in to the air. We shed tears for the loss of her in this world, water to flow. to complete the elements. We ask that she find her rest eternal." He then put her body in to the fire, with help if someone was willing so it wouldn't be so awkward and potentially dangerous.

He watched the body and fire for a moment and then nodded. "Very well." He sighed. "So. To...the tower?"
DM
 GM, 1268 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 8 Mar 2019
at 03:08
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The air is still for a time around Gariena's funeral pyre, as no sound other than the crackling flames breaks the silence.

A short distance away, Wiglaf sighs. "I can't be allowed to hurt anyone... else," he says heavily to Magdrak. "The control I have may evaporate at any moment, and it may be an illusion even now. Hell, my skin crawls with violence just being on this hill." He sighs again. "I can't say I wish for death. But I do wish to be rid of this curse, one way or another."

While the somber group gathers around the fire, figures visible in the camps to the east side of the hill stir against the backdrop of their own fires. Yet none leave the confines of their camps to approach the strange gathering mourning the loss of Gariena.
Findarion
 player, 84 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Fri 8 Mar 2019
at 05:48
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The keen-eyed elf looks east at the camps, counting the number of people as well as figuring out who they are.

He approaches Magdrak and fishes out a small dagger, putting it gently in the dwarf's palm. "This blade is magical."
Magdrak
 player, 37 posts
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 05:20
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak looks at the dagger placed in his hand, and recoils slightly.  Shaking his head, he begins stuttering through word after painstaking word.  "I... I... I don't know if I can do this.  Are you... sure?  I... wish... there were a... a cure."
Asano Breathkill
 player, 466 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 16:09
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano takes part in the solemn funeral rites for the fallen druid. He is silent throughout, until he begins hearing the exchange between Wiglaf and Magdrak. The look on his face is grieved at the obvious pain the dwarf is experiencing at his friend's request.



Wracking his brain for possible cures for lycanthropy.


08:08, Today: Secret Roll: Asano Breathkill rolled 21 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 18.  Arcana.


Action:
Move Action:
Bonus Action:


HP: 27/29 AC 12
Buffs/Debuffs: Cannot be intoxicated by alcohol for 22 days
Conditions: Conc Enlarge (Morg/Mag), Will cast shield if necessary
Spells/Sorcery Points, Tides of Chaos: 1st- 4/4 2nd- 0/3, 0/4, Yes


DM
 GM, 1269 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 10 Mar 2019
at 15:41
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"I don't want to trouble you all with this." Wiglaf waves away Magdrak, with a sharp glance at Findarion and his offered dagger. "Probably wouldn't even work. Like as not I'd lose control, shift into a wolf, and murder you all."

Flix chimes in at Magdrak's mention of a cure. "Gariena told us she was here to meet with a powerful druid of the Circle of the Scarlet Moon. Maybe he can cure your monster curse?"

Afid tosses a pebble at Flix. "You want to trust these humans after they set that fire monster loose? They'll probably turn us all into fire wolves or hellhounds. Gariena would probably go south to that farmy place to the south, Goldenfields. Sometimes they take in druids to help with the plantings and stuff. I don't know if they'll talk to you all though."
Findarion
 player, 85 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sun 10 Mar 2019
at 17:40
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The elf grins, despite the tragedy of the situation, and retracts the dagger. "I had a feeling you wouldn't give up that easily." He teases the dwarves with arms crossed.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 467 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sun 10 Mar 2019
at 21:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"I thank you, little firends, for that advice. What will the two ofyou do now?" Asano says to the sprites. "Wiglaf, there may be some aid to be found for your condition in Goldenfields. For your aid in this conflict, I would certainly be willing to speak to the leaders there and see what may be done for your condition."
DM
 GM, 1270 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 23:43
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Thank you," Wiglaf replies, nodding to Asano. "That's a kind and generous offer. I don't know that you ought to be traveling with me though. I'm not exactly tame." His feral grin disappears a moment after it appeared, replaced again with resigned complacency.

Afid and Flix share a glance at Asano's question, then Afid shrugs. "[Language unknown:  Nceessart ek Tin blehi? Adpeth al Behick belar ck pr thuanyout. Mo T moarss waure ec nd eauomedin os seugh u ur.]"

Flix eyes the group appraisingly. "What are you all planning to do?" he asks, a hint of challenge in his voice.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:59, Mon 11 Mar 2019.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 468 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Tue 12 Mar 2019
at 22:03
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Us? Probably the same as when we came upon this gathering," Asano replies to the sprites. "We each have our own goals in the valley, but they all seem to be centered upon a number of groups receiving or drawing power from different natural elements. Our next step, though, is probably Goldenfields. Unless any of you know Bastian Thermander?"
DM
 GM, 1271 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 12 Mar 2019
at 22:39
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Flix and Afid exchange glances once again. "What do you want with Bastian Thermandar?" Afid asks, while Flix moves towards Asano.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 469 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Tue 12 Mar 2019
at 23:23
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"I have questions that he has the answers to," Asano says, trying to guage the sprites reactions to Thermander's name.


OOC:
Insight- 16

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 449 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 12 Mar 2019
at 23:52
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak piped up with one index finger pointing towards the sky. "T'be clear, we're gonna go t'the tower up on the hill FIRST..." He spread his hands, "an' THEN we're..." He turned with a questioning eyebrow at the group, "...we're goin' t'Goldenfields? Um. Okay." He gave a shrug.
Magdrak
 player, 38 posts
Wed 13 Mar 2019
at 02:38
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak stands up and proffers a hand to Wiglaf.  "If there's a chance, Wiglaf, maybe you should go to Goldenfields..."  He looks around at the others.  "Shouldn't we look around here a little more?  Make sure there aren't any of those blasted cultists left to summon another fire beast?  After a bit of a rest, of course, as I'm a bit sore from our previous encounter.  I know I just met you all, but it seems like you have similar interests to mine.  I'd rather join up then go at it alone, if it's the same to you."
DM
 GM, 1272 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 14 Mar 2019
at 01:00
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"I suppose I'll stick around with you all as well, for a time," Wiglaf says reluctantly. "But if I start to murder one of you, the rest of you need to point me off towards some squirrel or something. I don't want to be responsible for one of your deaths."

Flix approaches Asano, then flies up near his shoulder to look him in the eyes. "What sort of questions?" he asks suspiciously, before he reaches out for Asano's shoulder.


Asano believes the sprites have heard Bastian's name recently, perhaps from Gariena or someone else in the camp.

Asano, you can take an action if you like before Flix touches you (like try to avoid his touch, for instance, which would take a Dex save). If he touches you you'll need to make a Charisma save (which you can choose to auto-fail if you prefer).

Anyone who would like to can make a Nature check on their knowledge of Sprites, but not before Flix's action plays out.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:01, Thu 14 Mar 2019.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 470 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 14 Mar 2019
at 04:27
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Questions such as, 'Why did you burn down an entire village?," Asano says cheerfully. The half-elf makes no move to avoid the sprite's touch. "Reports pin a number of heinous crimes on the man's shoulders. I have been tasked with finding answers to those questions and acting as magistrate in the event the rumors prove true."


OOC:
Cha save- 18/19 if it is a charm effect.

DM
 GM, 1273 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 15 Mar 2019
at 01:10
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Flix relaxes slightly as his tiny hand comes away from Asano's shoulder. "One of the campers on that side of the hill was asking about him earlier today," he replies, nodding slightly to Afid.
Morg Danforge
 player, 626 posts
 LARGE mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 0as 0sd8
Fri 15 Mar 2019
at 11:29
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Know what's in the tower? Or if there's anything dangerous in the other tents?" Morg asks Wiglaf and the sprites.
DM
 GM, 1274 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 15 Mar 2019
at 23:31
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Wiglaf shakes his head. "I've only seen the druids - er, cultists I guess - come out of the tower. They've brought some folks in that I seen from a distance, but they ain't come out yet." He pauses, apparently ruminating on what that might mean.

"Ain't been around to the other tents neither. Storol and I kinda kept to ourselves mostly."
Findarion
 player, 86 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sat 16 Mar 2019
at 16:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion's attention is grabbed by Wiglaf's words. "Into the tower?" his voice gets more heated by the minute. "We must find a way in, immediately!" The elf storms off towards the tower rather rapidly, a look of worry on his face.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 450 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sat 16 Mar 2019
at 17:38
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
In to the tower had been his intention anyway, so nothing really changed for him. Jak gave a shrug and looked to the others for just a moment before he started heading up the hill towards the tower as well.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 471 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sun 17 Mar 2019
at 06:04
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano looks beseechingly toward the hill the sprites mentioned then grits his teeth. "Aye, tower first. Thermander's trail will wait," he says, following those who had already moved toward the tower. Then, quieter, "Or he'll make another mess and I'll find him."
DM
 GM, 1276 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 17 Mar 2019
at 17:09
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The group ascends the hill after Findarion, back towards the tower. The courtyard appears still and empty of people or movement. The wicker structure where the fire elemental was previously enclosed is now a massive bonfire. Thick black smoke pours into the air and adds to the haze. The partially collapsed scaffolding on the western side of the hill smoulders.

Near the back of the gathering, Wiglaf talks in low voices with the two sprites.


Map updated.  I also figured out that I can just post the map to the Game Map link at the top of the screen! If you can't get to the Google Docs version of the map it should be visible there.

From this side it looks like the remaining structure is fairly stable, though some of its supports are clearly damaged by the fire or missing entirely. There does seem to be a gap of about 5-10' between the top of the remaining scaffolding and the door into the structure itself.

Recall Findarion had previously investigated the ruined "main entrance" at ground level in the front of the tower, but its partially open doors are blocked from the inside by a pile of rubble.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:14, Sun 17 Mar 2019.

Morg Danforge
 player, 627 posts
 LARGE mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 0as 0sd8
Mon 18 Mar 2019
at 15:50
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg looks the tower over, trying to figure out if it's dwarven-forged.
17:48, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 10 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 6.  Stonecunning check regarding origin of stonework of tower: dwarven?

This message was last edited by the player at 15:50, Mon 18 Mar 2019.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 452 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 18 Mar 2019
at 17:57
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak moved up to the right side of the tower, climbing up the scaffolding some as well, looking around to see if there appeared to be any way to enter the tower other than the blocked main entrance. There had been guards up above previously, but they could have climbed the scaffolding, he supposed.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 472 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Tue 19 Mar 2019
at 01:03
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano approaches the tower with the rest of the group. As the others ascend the scorched scaffolding, Asano watches carefully for any sections that need to be reinforced through a judicious application of his frost magics.


OOC:
Asano will ue ray of frost to try and attach/strengthen any weak joints or connections that he thinks won't be damaged worse by the cantrip.


DM
 GM, 1277 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 19 Mar 2019
at 01:16
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak finds the walls of the tower to be made of rough flagstone, but unbroken by any way inside from the eastern side.

As Asano ascends after him, no fire damage is evident on this side. The scaffolding extends around the front of the tower to the western side, where Asano had assisted in putting out the fire before the fire elemental's release.


Morg can tell that the tower is not of dwarven make.

Findarion
 player, 87 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Wed 20 Mar 2019
at 11:35
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The elf looks at the main entrance again, unhappy. He's flicking a dagger in his right hand absentmindedly "I recall seeing a guard on the top, so there must be a way in from there. The only problem is, how do we get there?"
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 453 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 20 Mar 2019
at 14:26
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak kept moving, heading up and around the back of the tower. He knew somewhere there would be a way to get in, but he wasn't sure WHERE it was specifically. He thought like a criminal (who were used to thinking like non-criminals all the time to rob them. "Where would I be...if I were a secret entrance?"

08:25, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 19 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 14.  Investigation?
DM
 GM, 1278 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 21 Mar 2019
at 00:30
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak moves along the eastern side of the tower toward the north side, running his hands along the rough stonework. The scaffolding ends before turning the corner however, and the back of the tower looks like more featureless stone. Near the bottom of the hill on this side, Jak can just make out his mount, Sharpwind, grazing in the sparse grass.

Near the base of the tower, Wiglaf converses with the two sprites. "Your condition really is tragic," Afid continues. "I think you should consider this offer. I believe it will grant you some manner of control, after a fashion. We come as emissaries only, but we offer this small token to seal the bargain." Seemingly from thin air, Flix produces a milky orb that easily dwarfs his own small frame. The coloration and markings on it resemble that of the moon. He extends it towards Wiglaf.

Jak doesn't find any secret doors on this side of the tower. The rough flagstone seems to have plenty of foot/hand holds, however...

Findarion (and the rest of the party) recalls there being a doorway at the top of the scaffolding on the western side of the tower, about 30' above ground level. The scaffolding fire occurred right at that spot however, so there may be a gap between the scaffolding untouched by the fire and the doorway.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:32, Thu 21 Mar 2019.

Findarion
 player, 88 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Thu 21 Mar 2019
at 09:56
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Remembering that the side entrance exists, Findarion walks over to the western side and examines the scaffolding, the doorway, and possible ways to get inside. He makes a couple magic gestures as he does so.

Summoning an invisible Mage Hand.

10:56, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 8 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 3.  Investigation.

DM
 GM, 1279 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 22 Mar 2019
at 01:05
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion finds the door on this side stands slightly ajar, roughly five feet beyond where the scaffolding ends. The rough flagstones offer plenty of hand and footholds on this side of the tower as well.

Below, the ruins of the scaffolding sit at the foot of the tower, still smouldering. Perhaps fifty feet above the door, the wall is topped by a crenelated spire at the corner of a steeply sloping roof.


A quick reminder - there was talk of a short rest a while back, though that hasn't happened yet ;).

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 454 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Fri 22 Mar 2019
at 01:40
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak thought he figured out, well that he had remembered really, where they needed to go. He paused, however, for a second and called quietly down to those NOT on the scaffolding. "I think I remember where t'go but...Did we want t'take a breather 'fore we head in here?" He shrugged. "I'm game if you all are t'keep goin', but wasn't sure 'bout the rest o'ya."
Magdrak
 player, 40 posts
Fri 22 Mar 2019
at 04:53
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak nods.  "I can definitely use a rest.  I took quite a beatin' from all them baddies."
Morg Danforge
 player, 629 posts
 LARGE mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Mon 25 Mar 2019
at 17:00
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg takes out a scroll case and says to Magdrak [Language unknown:  "Ceame has io an e eter m estle?"] He then walks to a more secluded section of the wall, sits down to rest, and places the case on the ground in front of him before starting to clean his weapons.
If the short rest is not interrupted, then:
recharge Second wind, Action surge, and Battle master dice, and spend last 3 HD for 25 HP.

18:44, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 5 using 1d10+2 with rolls of 3.  HP recovered from hit die 3 of 4.
18:45, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 12 using 1d10+2 with rolls of 10.  HP recovered from hit die 2 of 4.
18:46, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 8 using 1d10+2 with rolls of 6.  HP recovered from hit die: last one.

Edit: "Language X" works, but "Private to group X" doesn't seem to.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:05, Tue 26 Mar 2019.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 456 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 25 Mar 2019
at 18:40
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak climbed down when the others spoke about taking a short rest before going forward. He gave a shrug and smiled, "Fine by me. Whatever's whatever!" He sat down near Morg and pulled out his lute. He began to play a slow, haunting melody as everyone 'relaxed' around him. It felt strangely soothing to those wounded.

If you spend any hit dice, you will also gain 1 D6 of hit point healing as well from the song.
Findarion
 player, 90 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Mon 25 Mar 2019
at 19:28
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Fine, but let us not delay too long..." the elf reluctantly agrees to a rest, even though he is grievously injured.

20:22, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 24 using 4d8 with rolls of 2,8,8,6.  HD.

Bringing me to 26/26

DM
 GM, 1281 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 26 Mar 2019
at 00:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The hillside remains still and silent as the group spends the next hour recovering their breath and binding wounds. The remaining wooden structure collapses into ash after a short while, leaving a pile of smouldering embers. The air clears somewhat in the absence of the raging bonfire, and a breeze scatters ashes into the air. Jak's lute echos hauntingly in the dim afternoon light.

Morg shows Magdrak a very old looking map, filled with Dwarven symbols.


You successfully complete the short rest! Feel free to post anything else you do during the short rest, or if you like we can move on assuming the rest is over.

Magdrak, if you'd like to spend any hit dice to recover hp, go ahead and post that in your next post (including the extra d6 from Jak's song).

Anyone can make a history or an investigation check if you examine the map (also available at the Game Map link RPoL menu). If you can speak Dwarvish you can make either (or both) check with advantage.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:28, Tue 26 Mar 2019.

Magdrak
 player, 41 posts
Tue 26 Mar 2019
at 05:46
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak stops with the rest of the group to rest his wounds.  He closes his eyes and listens as Jak plays a tune.  "That song was..."  He never completes his sentence.  When Morg comes over with a map, he examines it carefully.  "Let's take a peek at what you've got."  After a few moment's pause, he gives his initial reaction.  "Hmmm...  Besilmer...  Why does that sound familiar?"  He turns the paper over carefully in his hands.  "Looks very old.  Where'd you get this?"

OOC:

01:11, Today: Magdrak rolled 10 using 1d10+3 with rolls of 7.  HD - Short Rest.
01:11, Today: Magdrak rolled 12 using 1d10+3 with rolls of 9.  HD - Short Rest.
01:14, Today: Magdrak rolled 1 using 1d6 with rolls of 1.  HP - Song of Rest.

01:15, Today: Magdrak rolled 15 using 2d20-1, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 14,16.  Investigation Roll.
01:15, Today: Magdrak rolled 9 using 2d20-1, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 10,10.  History Check.

Current HP31/32
Current HD2d10/4
Lay on Hands0/20
 
Current Spells
1st0/3

Findarion
 player, 92 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Tue 26 Mar 2019
at 06:03
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The elf silently observes the dwarves with the map for a while, before approaching himself. "Can I take a look at this?"

06:59, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 23 using 2d20+5, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 18,15.  Investigation.
Morg Danforge
 player, 630 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Tue 26 Mar 2019
at 08:03
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
[Language unknown:  "A liniev hi wi t mi sa ati, isngas ie n ma stiandwhe atiare-setearera e pochfo Adchpa."] Morg says to Magdrak.

He hands the map over to Findarion, but doesn't translate anything on it.

[Language unknown:  "Sonconproere in yinestughven p herho ee ngwe'aiwele Etul'eslila, onngst wil Lalola Linavepre. Plta teplst ur traisa ntiatewhe aipa whloss whto whekom ne Ilartoll ad anyareint hat beutunnd chiv ndeant'andlat p terwerkorday eleeon ul. Rutencdindin, est T ardardset siwhe heeve."]
[Language unknown:  pefiilmo
nderomera stei
alpeut i eeweei
A
weol ngbeer
vor lin
pa la
reecis us
oupe (fiomai) i tiieec ard]

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 457 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 26 Mar 2019
at 13:26
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak stopped playing and put away his lute. He stood up and slowly stretched. Then when people started looking over a map, he glanced over their shoulders. He looked down at Morg. Then he smirked and lightly smacked the back of Morg's head.

He grinned widely and fake-innocently. "Ya seemed t'be stuck in Dwarvish so I thought that might help. WHAT were you sayin'?"


07:23, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 17 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 12.  Investigation.
Wiglaf
 player, 3 posts
 AC: 11 HP:17/17
Tue 26 Mar 2019
at 13:42
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Wiglaf had spend the last hour with the sprites, talking and occasionally waving his arms around. On occasion you see his tongue gliding over his teeth as if to clean them... or in anticipation of a large feast. Finally he turns around and approaches the group, playing with a strange beige/gray colored orb in his hand.
"Ey, all rested up? I was getting bored." Noticing the map he leans a little closer "Pretty, you got some treasure buried?"
Morg Danforge
 player, 631 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Tue 26 Mar 2019
at 13:50
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Aye, possibly some treasure." Morg says. "Anyone know where these 4 entrances are?", pointing to the black compass roses on the map.
DM
 GM, 1282 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 27 Mar 2019
at 01:47
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Between Magdrak, Findarion, Jak, and Morg, the group works out that the map roughly corresponds to the present-day Sumber Hills, as Morg suggested. The Stone Bridge, marked on the map as the Bridge of Torhid, is a particularly recognizable landmark.

Triangulating from the positions marked on the map, the group further realizes that the "North Door" on the map roughly corresponds to their present position, at the ruined tower occupied by the fire cult. The "West Door" location seems to match with that of Feathergale Spire, and the "East Door" to Sacred Stone Monastery.

As for the "South Door" and the "Halls of the Hunting Axe", nobody in the group has ever visited those locations.


Anyone who hasn't already is welcome to translate the map per the dwarven symbols per page 122 of the PHB =).

I've updated The Dessarin Valley map per what you've all discovered, and also added it as the map for Group 1 in the Game Map RPoL link.

Magdrak and Wiglaf remember the name Besilmer from tales told of the valley from long ago. It was once a shield dwarf kingdom, founded nearly six thousand years ago.
At some point in its history, the dwarves were overrun by trolls and giants, and they were obliged to build an underground stronghold. They carved out the fortress-city of Tyar-Besil a century after Besilmer's founding. Neither Magdrak nor Wiglaf recall any of the history of that city.

Morg Danforge
 player, 632 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Wed 27 Mar 2019
at 11:52
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Huh, I thought these doors were all more to the north." Morg says. "After we look for Fin's brother in the tents, shall we go look for the North door under the tower?"
Findarion
 player, 93 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Wed 27 Mar 2019
at 16:38
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion doesn't seem to have an issue reading the map, and quickly figures out what's going on here.

"We're looking for my brother in the tower. I've already checked the tents." He corrects the dwarf. "Once we do, we can snoop around - shame to not follow such a fancy treasure map."
Wiglaf
 player, 4 posts
 AC: 11 HP:17/17
Thu 28 Mar 2019
at 03:45
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Scratching his head, Wiglaf takes a step back "Besilmer.. I remember it was a kingdom full of dwarves. They got themselves killed by Trolls and Orcs I believe." He looks down upon Findarion and nods "Yer brother's up there? Think he could open the door?"
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 458 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 28 Mar 2019
at 04:52
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak listened quietly for a moment, but the map stuff was later. He gave a nod at Findarion. "Right! Enough lollygaggin'! Let's find a brother an' we'll go from there!"

He began to make his way towards the doorway he remembered being at the top of the scaffolding on the western side of the tower.
Findarion
 player, 94 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Thu 28 Mar 2019
at 05:36
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Yeah, let me just ask my captive brother to bust himself out of his prison." the elf rolls his eyes at Wiglaf, then turned to follow Jak.
Wiglaf
 player, 5 posts
 AC: 11 HP:17/17
Thu 28 Mar 2019
at 10:53
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Wiglaf laughs which sounded more like a wolf with a cough “Never been captive myself, though a buddy of mine busy himself out of a bandit camp, told everyone he had to lay with the bear of a daughter of the bandit boss. Fucking idiot got himself made into an arrow holder not long after. Maybe he wasn’t as good as he imagined.”
He finally puts the orb away, he looks at the sprites and nods towards the tower.
DM
 GM, 1283 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 28 Mar 2019
at 23:44
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Over the course of an hour the air clears slowly in the absence of the bonfire. The smell of burned wood and ash still hangs heavily over the hill however.

Jak makes his way back up the scaffolding and around to the west side of the tower. The smouldering remains of the ruined scaffolding below still smoulder. The gap between the top of the intact scaffolding and the door on this side looks to be about five feet. The rough stone wall is the same here as around the other sides of the tower. Yet the thirty foot drop to the top of the hill below looks precipitous.


I'm assuming everyone's done with all the short rest activities? If so we can proceed =).
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 459 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Fri 29 Mar 2019
at 00:19
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak looked down - he wasn't squeamish about heights at all, luckily. He'd had a lot of climbing practice trying to escape as a child. He looked down at the group, grinned wildly, and then leaped the five foot gap to the door.

OOC: I forgot to mention that Jak would have gone over to Sharpwind and fed her, pet her and talked to her for a few minutes out of the short rest - but told her to stay there and keep an eye out.

08:10, Today: Secret Roll: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 16 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 13.  Leap of faith? No, an actual leap.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:10, Fri 29 Mar 2019.

DM
 GM, 1285 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 29 Mar 2019
at 20:35
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak leaps to the door frame in the tower, catching hand and footholds on the rough stone near it. The door to his left remains ajar as he clings to the side of the wall.


We may want to pause here until the others have a chance to post what they're up to - i.e., is everyone following Jak up the scaffolding, or are others doing something else? There's not really enough room for everyone to make their way all at once to the door...

Wiglaf
 player, 6 posts
 AC: 11 HP:17/17
Fri 29 Mar 2019
at 21:48
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Watching Jakrynn, Wiglaf grins nervously before finally scratching his head “I guess I’ll follow?” He asks no one really and follows Jakrynn’s path up the scaffolding. A bit less agile but with enough strength he moves upwards going to the western side of the tower.

Can I focus on the more athletic part of climbing? It seems appropriate
Asano Breathkill
 player, 474 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sat 30 Mar 2019
at 05:31
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano eyes the jump cautiously. Idly he rolls the focus wand in his hand trying to decide whether he can build a bridge of ice, given enough time.


OOC:
Arcana- 13

DM
 GM, 1286 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 30 Mar 2019
at 16:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
As Wiglaf heads up the scaffolding, Afid and Flix both nod at him. "We will leave you now, wolf-creature, but know that your new patron will be watching. You must carry on the fight for these lands that Gariena has laid down upon her death. If you have need of assistance, you may call." With a final bow, both Afid and Flix fade into invisibility.


Using Acrobatics, Athletics, or another skill (if you can narratively explain it) to reach the doorway is fine.

Asano doesn't believe building a bridge of ice is especially practical, particularly since at this height a slippery bridge would likely be more dangerous to traverse than simply using the ample foot & toe holds that the rough stone grants. In game terms, this looks like about a DC 10 athletics check to climb.

Findarion
 player, 95 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sat 30 Mar 2019
at 21:08
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion joins Jakryn at the door with a nimble jump.

22:05, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 20 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 14.
DM
 GM, 1287 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 30 Mar 2019
at 21:53
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Both Findarion and Jak cling to the side of the tower wall, Jak with one foot on the threshold of the door, Findarion next to him on the wall.


It's a little crowded on the wall by the door ;)

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 461 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sat 30 Mar 2019
at 22:58
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
OOC: Hey You said to wait for everyone else, DM! LOL!

Jak paused a moment and nodded to himself, smiling widely. He bet that jump had looked awesome. He noticed others coming up after him, though, and got back to business. He held up a hand to stop other people from jumping to the door just yet before he got crushed.

He checked the door for traps and then to see if it was locked or not - and then opened the door if it was neither trapped nor locked.

16:57, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 22 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 17.  Investigation.
Wiglaf
 player, 7 posts
 AC: 11 HP:17/17
Sun 31 Mar 2019
at 01:20
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Wiglaf  waves the sprites off, reaching above to pull himself up as he calls out to the creatures “Yes, yes. Now if you don’t...” He doesn’t get to finish his sentence as the support breaks in two under his weight, turning it into a free fall for the wolf-creature.

Wiglaf rolled 8 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 3.  Athletics

Rolled a freaking 3...

Magdrak
 player, 42 posts
Sun 31 Mar 2019
at 12:33
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak watches as the others start to climb.  "There doesn't appear to be a lot of room up there.  I think I'll wait down here for now."
DM
 GM, 1288 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 1 Apr 2019
at 00:59
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Wiglaf's hands miss their grip and he flails backwards, slipping down the side of the tower.

Jak examines the door, just slightly ajar as he clings to the stone around the doorframe, his foot on the lip of the doorway.


Wiglaf, you can make a DC 10 Dex save to grab the nearby scaffolding structure - on a fail you'll fall 30' to the still-smouldering ruin below, which was once part of the wooden scaffolding. Others can of course help in various ways.

Sorry Jak, didn't mean to give you all conflicting directions =) I just meant we should probably figure out where everyone else is before you actually go in the door. If everyone else is on the scaffolding or in the general vicinity that's fine; I just meant there's only so much room on a wall around a doorway above a 30' drop.

Jak doesn't find any locks or traps evident on this side. The door is slightly ajar, and you can hear the faint sound of crackling flames from inside.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 462 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 1 Apr 2019
at 05:41
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak listened at the door that was slightly ajar and then shrugged. He opened it slowly and stepped inside just a step, just to see what was in there. He'd heard a fire but he thought a guard might be in there as well.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 475 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Mon 1 Apr 2019
at 05:46
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano watches from the ground as the others ascend, slight trepidation on his face as the scaffolding sways and creaks under their weight. As their new companion begins to fall, the half-elf shouts up, "Jak, new guy, you need to move inside so the rest of us can climb without collapsing the scaffold." He turns to Magdrak, "Catch him, sir dwarf."
Wiglaf
 player, 8 posts
 AC: 11 HP:17/17
Mon 1 Apr 2019
at 05:54
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Wiglaf’s hands find a nearby, sturdy piece of scaffolding and he clings to it as if his life depended on it... which might does.
His muscles ache under his own weight and he groans “Shouldn’t have had that second chicken.” He complains before trying to pull himself up.

Wiglaf rolled 16 using 1d20-1 with rolls of 17.  DEX save.
DM
 GM, 1289 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 2 Apr 2019
at 01:35
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The group looks on in horror as Wiglaf manages to catch the side of the scaffolding. He scrambles back up to the others and regains his feet.

Jak pushes the door open slowly and peers inside the room. The warm lighting illuminates a large hole in the wooden floor just past the door, and stone stairs that lead up the northern wall.

Two guards stand near to the stairs, and immediately reach for their heavy crossbows. Their brows crease above goggle-like eye-wear as they watch Jak warily, giving their faces the look of angry insects.

A smaller figure slowly rises from a wooden stool in the southeastern corner of the room. Standing no taller than Morg or Magdrak, he is bare to the waist. His heavily muscled frame shines with a deep bronze hue, as though his very skin was metallic. Yet Jak's eyes are first drawn to his face, wreathed not in hair but in flames. It forms a sort of beard around his features, then extends to a small bonfire of unruly orange fire atop his head, which gives the room its illumination.

"And who are you?" the creature rasps.


Map updated! See also main RPoL game map.

Jak is currently just inside the doorway on this floor, and everyone else is outside on the scaffolding near the doorway. Magdrak is one level down on the scaffolding.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:14, Tue 02 Apr 2019.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 463 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 2 Apr 2019
at 02:55
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak paused and straightened. A smile slid on to his face and he acted like he belonged there. Confidence. It's all about confidence - or so his mentor had told him. Also - always go with the truth, or at least enough of it to not be outright lying.

He gave a small acknowledging head nod to the guards and the...other creature? "Jakrynn Redgate, or Jak for short. We're here to see about the transport of a prisoner being held here." True enough - though they were transporting him away, not to a new place of holding.

He eyed the 'dwarf?'. "And for my records, who are you so I can make a note?"


20:28, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 25 using 2d20+6, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 8,19.  Deception.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:28, Wed 03 Apr 2019.

DM
 GM, 1290 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 3 Apr 2019
at 01:20
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The diminutive being merely stares at Jak for a moment, seemingly deciding what to do. The guards eye him questioningly.


When I read this I immediately thought, "Prisoner transfer from cell block 1138?" =)

Jak can roll a deception check with advantage - anyone else doing anything as Jak speaks?

Wiglaf
 player, 9 posts
 AC: 11 HP:17/17
Wed 3 Apr 2019
at 02:13
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
I’m up with the others? I’ll stand out of side and listen to Jak and prepare to summon my weapon and jump inside
DM
 GM, 1292 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 3 Apr 2019
at 23:15
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The metallic-skinned dwarf looks puzzled. One of the guards sets down his crossbow, then covers a fist with his other hand, looking sidelong at Jak.

"Name's Greaek," the fire-haired dwarf replies, frowning. "I wasn't notified. I'll have to clear it with Vanifer. What prisoner are you transferring? And where?" He looks questioningly at the guards across the room. "One of yours?" The guards shrug.
Findarion
 player, 96 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Thu 4 Apr 2019
at 05:49
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The elf doesn't enter with Jakryn, instead staying around the corner with his back to the wall, still and silent.

A bit belated from me, sorry, but I'd like to hide around the entrance and listen in to Jak's bluff for now.

07:48, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 26 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 18.  Stealth.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 465 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 4 Apr 2019
at 14:12
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Gree-ache. Got it. Thank you." He gave a nod.

Jak confidently opened his mouth, one finger on his right hand pointed up....and paused. Then he frowned quizzically, realized Findarion only ever kept referring to the his brother as "his brother" and never gave them an actual name. Finally he let out a sigh and looked frustrated. "Sorry. One sec."

He leaned his head back out the door and called out, "What's the name o'the prisoner we're here t'transport again?"
Findarion
 player, 97 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Thu 4 Apr 2019
at 14:37
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Stumped for a few moments, Findarion nonetheless realizes the question was directed at him. He whispers the answer back:

"Merellien Aur'aver."
Asano Breathkill
 player, 477 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 4 Apr 2019
at 22:23
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano looks at the ground crew, confused. "Prisoner?" he mouths.
DM
 GM, 1294 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 4 Apr 2019
at 23:44
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
One of the guards begins to frown at Jak. He still holds his hands in front of him, his left hand covering his fist, awaiting Jak's answer.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 466 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Fri 5 Apr 2019
at 00:00
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak heard what he needed and gave a nod. He turned back to the dwarf and the guards inside, pulling his head back in. "Merellien Aur'aver." He waited to see how they reacted, ready to move at a moment's notice but trying to look cool.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 478 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Fri 5 Apr 2019
at 01:02
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano concentrates for a few moments, rearranging his internal balance.


OOC:
Exchange 3 level 1 spell slots for 3 sorcery points. Exchange 3 sorcery points for 1 level 2 spell slot.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:52, Tue 09 Apr 2019.

DM
 GM, 1296 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 6 Apr 2019
at 02:18
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The guard drops his hands finally, then reaches back for his crossbow. He shakes his head doubtfully at the strange dwarf as he hefts the weapon.

The dwarf considers a moment. "The prisoners were taken down to the Temple," he says at last, motioning to the large hole in the floor. Some unseen light source seemed to be moving down there, shifting the shadows in the dimness. "You're welcome to descend."
Morg Danforge
 player, 634 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 13:45
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Are they bird-people up there?" Morg shouts upwards. "This seems like a pretty bad setup for entering the building."
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 467 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 15:47
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak reached his arm back out the window and waved for people to come in as he kept smiling at the dwarf and guards. Internally, however, he was assessing their body language, tone of voice, and everything to see if he sensed deception or if this was a trap or test.

09:46, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 22 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 18.  Insight check on 'dwarf'.
DM
 GM, 1297 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 23:50
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The dwarf folds his arms and sits back down on the stool, seemingly content to wait for Jak's companions to arrive. Unseen lights from below continue to cast odd shadows that play over piles of rubble, at least twenty feet below. There isn't an obvious way to descend through the hole safely, at least to Jak's eyes.

The two guards exchange glances, apparently surprised at the dwarf's reply. "Where exactly are you taking this Merellien, and by whose authority?" one of them asks Jak.

"You wouldn't happen to know anything about some troublemakers who burned down the scaffolding, would you?" the other guard asks Jak, eyeing him suspiciously.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 480 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Tue 9 Apr 2019
at 01:39
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano turns to Morg and Magdrak. "I think it would be best if the two of you got up there," he says worriedly. "Jak may need some aid soon, and if we're to 'transport a prisoner' that implies guards already in place."
Magdrak
 player, 43 posts
Tue 9 Apr 2019
at 03:32
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak looks at the others, and after a moment hollers up at the group up in the tower.  "What's the holdup?  Lytin won't wait forever for that one!"
Findarion
 player, 98 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Tue 9 Apr 2019
at 05:31
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion, not a smooth talker himself, lets Jak handle the guards while he's looking for something to tie a rope to.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 470 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 9 Apr 2019
at 20:46
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak let out a small sigh, almost as if he was bored with the long time it was taking to finish this conversation and get the rest of the prisoner transport team in to the room. His eyes annoyingly rolled over to the guards as they piped up with questions.

He a bored tone in his voice and expression on his face while he had been speaking. "Lytin sent us up here. She also, as far as I saw, escorted the troublemakers, I assume that's who the people were anyway, down the hill from the side of this tower earlier. You'd have to ask her if you want to know what she planned for them." He spread his hands. "Satisfied?"

OOC: Man I need some advantage or bardic inspiration, lol. Running out of good rolls.

14:45, Today: Secret Roll: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 12 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 6.  I assume you'll ask for another Deception check.

DM
 GM, 1299 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 10 Apr 2019
at 01:13
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The guard reluctantly stands down, slouching back against the upward-leading steps.

Greaek watches Jak silently.


Findarion doesn't see any useful places to tie a rope other than around the doorway itself, or around the spires at the roof of the tower about 45' up.

Jak got advantage on the second deception roll too, after Magdrak's call from below Helped =).

21:03, Today: Secret Roll: DM, on behalf of Jakrynn Redgate, rolled 23 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 17.  deception check @ advantage.

DM
 GM, 1301 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 11 Apr 2019
at 01:16
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Greaek chuckles at Jak's silence. "Do you need a boost?" the creature grates, pointing to the hole in the floor.
Findarion
 player, 99 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Thu 11 Apr 2019
at 06:13
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Breaking stealth, the elf nonchalantly ties the rope around the doorway, tossing the other end to the group waiting below.
Morg Danforge
 player, 635 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Thu 11 Apr 2019
at 12:32
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg scrambles up the rope. Once inside, he looks down "Is the elf here?"

This message was last edited by the player at 12:35, Thu 11 Apr 2019.

Magdrak
 player, 44 posts
Thu 11 Apr 2019
at 14:55
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak climbs up the rope after Morg, stepping into the room with the others.  As he walks through the entryway, he begins grumbling to himself.  "I dunno what they're thinkin'.  When they recruited me, they talked about changing the world, and how I'd play a big part of that.  Now look at me, chasin' all over the 'Fells after some prisoner for the high muckity-mucks."  Turning to the guards, he continues.  "Sorry, friends, I don't mean to complain.  It seems like you ain't got it much better'n me, guardin' some hole."  He looks at Jak.  "Well?  Where is he?"
Asano Breathkill
 player, 485 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 11 Apr 2019
at 19:18
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano watches too calmly as the others ascend the tower, by scaffold or by rope. He eyes the rope as though it were the snake it writhed as, before taking a deep breath and taking hold of the rope. He carefully climbed the rope, using the support of the tower and the ruined scaffolding to aid his ascent. By the time he reaches the tower landing, he is sweating profusely, his skin pale with effort and controlled terror. He pushes into the room, stepping around the corner of the entryway and placing his back solidly against the wall. Within the next few heartbeats, he composes himself and starts as he realizes he stands near the edge of a black hole.
Findarion
 player, 100 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Thu 11 Apr 2019
at 19:23
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Down there..." Findarion stands at the edge of the hole. He eyes the guards suspiciously, then back down the hole. He doesn't speak anymore, even though there are pressing questions to be answered.

Can Findarion figure out/notice any way to descend?
DM
 GM, 1303 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 12 Apr 2019
at 00:19
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Peering down the hole, Findarion doesn't see any obvious ways down. The light from below continues to move over ruined wood and stone, casting moving shadows in the gloom.


There's no obvious way to descend at-a-glance, though anyone who wishes can make a perception check. That said, the rope tied around the doorway is likely long enough to reach down the hole as well.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 471 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Fri 12 Apr 2019
at 01:22
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak restrained a sigh of relief as the rest of his allies FINALLY started to come in to the room. The odds would have been distinctly against Jak if something had awry and combat had started up.

He rolled his eyes and looked at the dwarf and guards. "So. Other than makin' us guess...how do you normally get down there? Kinda in a hurry, so I'd like t'avoid playin' games if we could?" He shook his head. "Lytin didn't seem...the patient sort. Or the forgivin' sort, for that matter."
DM
 GM, 1304 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 12 Apr 2019
at 13:41
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Amused, Greaek motions to a steel ring fastened to the side of the ascending stairs opposite the hole.

One of the guards produces a rope from underneath the stairs and hands it to Jak wordlessly. One end of the rope appears to be singed and blackened, but it looks sturdy otherwise.
Morg Danforge
 player, 636 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Fri 12 Apr 2019
at 13:42
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg looks down, and (if not seeing anything suicidally dangerous down there) tosses the end of the rope down the hole after the rest of the party's finished using it.
15:37, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 19 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 16.  Perception check down the hole.
15:39, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 13 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 10.  Disadvantage (darkvision 60') perception check down the hole.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 472 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Fri 12 Apr 2019
at 16:02
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jake tied off the rope the guard handed him, moving methodically and carefully despite his desire to descend and get this task completed with. He tugged it a few times as hard as he could and then handed it to Morg. "Alright, gents. Head down an' I'll follow last."
DM
 GM, 1305 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 12 Apr 2019
at 16:27
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Peering through the hole in the floor, Morg sees a massive pile of rubble covering the floor of the chamber, completely blocking the south wall in front of the ruined main doors to the tower. Apparently the furniture and flooring from the room in which the group stands fell through the floor here to the room below.

As Morg watches, a small creature seemingly made out of fire capers into view. It dances around a fallen wooden beam and sets it alight in several places before meandering across the rest of the rubble out of sight to the north half of the room.
Findarion
 player, 101 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sat 13 Apr 2019
at 11:11
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion unties his own rope, giving the dwarf a dirty look."Really... no other way down?" he sighs deeply. "Getting the prisoner out will be trouble."
Magdrak
 player, 45 posts
Sat 13 Apr 2019
at 17:04
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak chuckles.  "Won't be a problem.  Unless the prisoner is suicidal or can fly, just put climbers above and climbers below, with a nice spearpoint for prodding.  They'll move fast enough."  He peers down the hole and gives a nod, as if satisfied with what he sees.
Morg Danforge
 player, 637 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Tue 16 Apr 2019
at 07:43
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg describes the small fire creature to the party, and asks the guards about it. He climbs down, trying not to look too threatening.
DM
 GM, 1309 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 17 Apr 2019
at 01:41
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Greaek chuckles at Morg's question. "Those magmins are clearing away the debris. Watch yourselves, they don't take kindly to strangers." Morg sees a total of five of the small fire creatures as he descends the rope. They caper about the ruins of the entrance hall to the tower, burning a pile of fallen wooden beams along the north wall.

Framed among the burning beams, the opening to a tunnel gapes from the wreckage. Leading downward, tendrils of black smoke float slowly upward from its gaping maw. Despite the warmth from the flaming wood around its opening, the tunnel seems to emanate the cold of the grave.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:41, Wed 17 Apr 2019.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 473 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 17 Apr 2019
at 03:48
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak waited for the others to climb down before him. He managed to look almost bored as he waited. Of all of them, as far as he knew, he was the only one whom the climb....or potential fall...wouldn't be a bother to. Riding on a flying beast made him damn sure he had something up his sleeve in case of a fall, after all.

He threw a mock-salute at Greaek and the guards. "See you in a bit." Only once everyone else was down or almost down to Jak begin the descent as well. Then he headed towards the tunnel unless someone suggested something else.
DM
 GM, 1310 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 17 Apr 2019
at 22:20
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak climbs down the rope behind the others. As the group gathers at the bottom of the rope, the curious magmins towards the north end of the room stop running around to watch. They move forward aggressively as the group looks towards the foreboding tunnel.


Map updated! Also available at the Game Map link via RPoL.

Jak, Wiglaf, Morg, and Findarion are up now. Asano and Magdrak can also post now, and update their posts after the mid-round update, if needed.

Round 1 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Jak22 
Wiglaf18 
Morg15 
Findarion14 
Magmins10 
Asano8 
Magdrak8 

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:43, Fri 19 Apr 2019.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 474 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 18 Apr 2019
at 00:27
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak stopped and turned with a sigh as the fire creatures become hostile. "It's really just NOT our day, is it?" He shook his head.

He looked back at the fiery creatures. "Look...can we just NOT do this? We're not here t'mess with you, we just need t'get someone an' we'll leave, okay? You do your thing, we do ours, no one gets hurt, yah?"


12:41, Today: Secret Roll: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 22 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 16.  Persuasion.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:41, Fri 19 Apr 2019.

Morg Danforge
 player, 638 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Thu 18 Apr 2019
at 13:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Whoa, stay - there's no need for fighting!" Morg says holding out a hand to the little fire creatures. "Besides, all these wizards could easily douse you all."

He takes out a javelin, but doesn't throw it - yet.
Move: 5' to r100.

Interaction: take out a javelin, keeping greatsword in other hand.

Action: ready action: throw javelin the moment any hostile attacks or moves towards us - hits AC 22 for 7 piercing.

15:17, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 22 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 15.  Attack hostile with javelin1.
15:17, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 7 using 1d6+5 with rolls of 2.  Piercing damage to hostile from javelin1.

Wiglaf
 player, 10 posts
 AC: 11 HP:17/17
Fri 19 Apr 2019
at 18:41
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Seeing the magmins approach, Wiglaf loses control and lets out a howl of rage. His transformation to the horrid hybrid wolf form is abrupt, and he quickly lashes out at the magmin nearest him with his jaws.


Wiglaf shapeshifts into hybrid form and attacks M5 with bite and claws - HIT with bite for 5 piercing.


14:37, Today: Secret Roll: DM, on behalf of Wiglaf, rolled 8 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 4.  wiglaf claw M5.
14:37, Today: Secret Roll: DM, on behalf of Wiglaf, rolled 5 using 1d8+2 with rolls of 3.  bite damage vs. M5.
14:36, Today: Secret Roll: DM, on behalf of Wiglaf, rolled 16 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 12.  wiglaf bite M5.
14:34, Today: Secret Roll: DM, on behalf of Wiglaf, rolled 3 using 1d20 with rolls of 3.  Con save - werewolf.

Findarion
 player, 103 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Tue 23 Apr 2019
at 19:15
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The elf pulled the bowstring in a threatening manner, but withheld the shot as Jakrynn attempted to parley.

As the situation turned hostile, he released the arrow at the nearest of the magmins.


21:14, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 14 using 1d8+2d6+4 with rolls of 5,1,4.  Sneak Attack damage.

21:13, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 23 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 17.  Attack.

Attack magmin 5

Magdrak
 player, 47 posts
Wed 24 Apr 2019
at 01:35
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak steps forward, careful to not present a threatening stance, and attempts to put Morg's flames out.  "Only fair, since you done this for me before."
DM
 GM, 1319 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 26 Apr 2019
at 11:51
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The magmins dance across the rubble gleefully, aggressively moving to the newcomers to set them on fire. A couple of them manage to set Morg alight as he retaliates. Wiglaf and Findarion both attack a nearby magmin who abruptly explodes in a fiery blast, setting alight nearby piles of wooden rubble.

At Jak's plea, Greaek pokes his head through the hole. "Not enjoying the pets' games are you?" he grates disdainfully. He yells something guttural at the magmins, who reluctantly stop grabbing at the new arrivals for a moment. The fire-haired dwarf then descends the rope, joining the others in the lower room.

Greaek looks disdainfully at the ruin of the magmin, then speaks roughly again to the remaining beasts. They move away, and return to capering amongst the ruins, setting small fires. He then turns his eye to Jak and the others.

"Follow me if you're comin'. Looks like you need a babysitter for a time." He moves toward the gaping mouth of the tunnel in the north of the room, shoving the occasional broken beam out of his path.


We're now out of initiative, so anyone can take their actions now.

Magdrak and Asano still must make Dex saves (DC 11) or take 11 fire (5 on successful save).

Round 1 Summary
Jak steps back and tries to persuade the magmins to leave them alone.

Wiglaf shapeshifts into hybrid form and attacks M5 with bite and claws - HIT with bite for 5 piercing.

Morg steps forward and throws a javelin vs. M4 - HIT for 7 piercing.

Findarion fires an arrow at M5 - HIT for 14 piercing. M5 is dead and explodes - Magdrak, Wiglaf, and Asano must make Dex saves (DC 11) or take 11 fire (5 on successful save). Wiglaf fails save.

Magmins
M1 moves forward and attacks Morg - HIT for 6 fire. Morg is on fire.
M2 moves forward and attacks Magdrak - MISS.
M3 moves forward and attacks Wiglaf - MISS.
M4 moves forward and attacks Morg - HIT for 9 fire.

Asano hangs out.

Magdrak puts out Morg's fire.

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:52, Fri 26 Apr 2019.

Morg Danforge
 player, 640 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 4sd8
Fri 26 Apr 2019
at 14:45
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg thanks Magdrak and straightens his singed beard, "So much for my fire dwarf impression."

He follows Greaek , helping with some non-burning beams.
16:41, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 12 using 1d10+4 with rolls of 8.  HP recovered from second wind.
Findarion
 player, 104 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sat 27 Apr 2019
at 08:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"A warning would be welcome next time." The elf scowls, following Graek along. He kept an eye out for the little fiery creatures.
DM
 GM, 1322 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 27 Apr 2019
at 17:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Greaek mutters at Findarion in the same harsh language that he used to speak to the magmins, and gives him an evil grin. He leads the group past the small fires through the ominous black tunnel at the north end of the room.

The tunnel slopes downward abruptly beyond the tunnel opening, and continues down through several seemingly random twists. The walls, floor, and ceiling of the tunnel are all curved, with no visible markings from any mining or excavation tools. A steady, warm breeze rises up from the depths, getting warmer as the group descends. The air carries a faint smell of ash mixed with attar.

Greaek leads the group down through the meandering tunnels, confidently choosing a path forward past several branching tubes that lead off into darkness. He bypasses several different-looking tunnels, seemingly carved from the rock with pickaxes or shovels.

After about 20 minutes of walking, Greaek pauses at an intersection. He chooses a mining tunnel that leads off to the left, sloping upwards. Several yards down this tunnel he stops abruptly next to the rocky wall and turns back to the party.

Looking at the group consideringly, he pauses for several seconds before speaking. "You're all pathetic and weak," he grates in Common. "I don't know what you're doing here, but you'll die the moment you walk into the Temple of Eternal Flame. Hell, a handful of playful magmins nearly burned you all to a crisp, and you're clearly not members of the Cult - not the Cult of Eternal Flame, anyway. Still, maybe with some coaching, you can serve my purpose. Do you really intend to bring out this Merellien prisoner? If so, I have a proposition for you in exchange for my help." The fire that makes up his beard and hair flares as he glares at Findarion and the others.
Magdrak
 player, 48 posts
Mon 29 Apr 2019
at 05:36
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak chuckles at Greaek's comment.  "Never said we were part of the Cult.  We're some of the mercenaries that they've been hiring up lately.  Kinda confusing, though.  First they hire us, then they send a flamin' elemental after us, then they order us to go get this prisoner.  I can't figure out whether to ask fer hazard pay, run away with my tail between my legs, or try to knock some sense into somebody!  But what's your proposition?  I'd rather live to collect my pay, if it's all the same, and if you can help with that I'd be much obliged."



OOC:
01:29, Today: Magdrak rolled 5 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 4.  Dexterity Save.

Findarion
 player, 105 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Mon 29 Apr 2019
at 07:18
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
With crossed arms, Findarion leans against one wall. He eyes Jak from under the hood.

Sighing resignedly, he says. "Speak. We'll consider your words."
Morg Danforge
 player, 642 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 4sd8
Mon 29 Apr 2019
at 13:34
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
After a couple of branching tubes, Morg takes out a piece of chalk, marking their path.
15:33, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 8 using 1d20 with rolls of 8.  Arcana check on fiery dwarf creatures.
DM
 GM, 1323 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 29 Apr 2019
at 21:40
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"My bargain is this," Greaek growls. "If you make it to the cellblock in the Temple, free my fellow Azers. If they are freed, I will not hunt you all down and flay you alive. My kin may even help you escape from the temple alive. In return, I will tell you how to make it past the guards and make your way to the cellblock." He pauses to let the group consider.



Asano makes his Dex save.

17:35, Today: Secret Roll: DM, on behalf of Asano Breathkill, rolled 22 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 20.  dex save magmin blast.


Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 476 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 29 Apr 2019
at 22:51
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak had started to open his mouth to answer Greaek when the fiery dwarf had first come down and then said they weren't members of the cult. But Morg had beat him to it and spoke up instead. Jak didn't contradict his friend.

He listened to the offer made. He smirked a little. "Maybe. I have a question first - How are they prisoners an' you're not?"

16:48, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 22 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 18.  Insight.
DM
 GM, 1324 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 1 May 2019
at 00:25
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Greaek snarls. "I am an emissary to the surface, to Elizar Dryflagon the druid, because I can speak Common. My kin cannot. The cult and a flaming efreeti force them to work with filthy salamanders to forge weapons for the cult. They are little more than slaves." Greaek spits on the rocky floor nearby, and the liquid sizzles and disappears on the warm stone. "They deserve better."




Morg hasn’t encountered or heard of Azers.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:41, Wed 01 May 2019.

Magdrak
 player, 49 posts
Wed 1 May 2019
at 15:01
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak considers for a moment.  "What language do they speak?  Dwarvish?  Will we be able to communicate with them, or will we need to?"
DM
 GM, 1325 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 1 May 2019
at 20:29
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"They speak Ignan," he replies to Magdrak.
Morg Danforge
 player, 643 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 4sd8
Thu 2 May 2019
at 15:37
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Are you related to the duergar in any way?" Morg asks Greaek.
DM
 GM, 1326 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 3 May 2019
at 00:40
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"No," Greaek says curtly.
Morg Danforge
 player, 644 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 4sd8
Fri 3 May 2019
at 07:32
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Duergar and slavers deserve to be crushed by my ham..." Morg says, looks at his scabbard, "uh, you dinnae happen to have a maul in exchange for this greatsword?"
DM
 GM, 1327 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 3 May 2019
at 12:51
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Burn you all," Greaek grunts, exasperated. "Do I look like an armory? Will you agree to free my kin or not?"
Morg Danforge
 player, 645 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 4sd8
Fri 3 May 2019
at 13:11
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Does anyone speak Primordial or nyaff?" Morg asks the party.
Findarion
 player, 106 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Fri 3 May 2019
at 13:45
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"No. I still think it's a great idea." Findarion replies.
DM
 GM, 1328 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 3 May 2019
at 14:29
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Greaek seemingly takes Findarion's answer for assent. "Good. You'll all still probably die anyway, but maybe what I tell you now will keep you alive long enough." He points a finger. "No mentioning my role in any of this, mind you."


"The way into the Temple from this direction is heavily guarded. If you show the sign of the Eternal Flame," Greaek makes one hand into a fist, his thumb up, and covers it with his other hand, his thumb between the fingers of his other hand, "then you should make it past the guards in the entrance hall. There may be more guards beyond, down the stairs in a columned chamber. You'll need to talk your way in."

"Once you're past the columned chamber, take your first right down a long wide corridor. Then take your first left into the cellblock."

Greaek turns to the wall and runs his hands over the rough surface. After a few seconds of searching, he presses hard on a nondescript rock. A portion of the wall slides away, revealing a small natural chamber beyond. Moisture drips from several stalactites into small pools of greenish liquid. The drops echo quietly off the natural stone walls. Several clusters of dark black mushrooms grow near the pools.

"Rest here. You look like you've been pulled through a bonfire by your toes, then left out in the sun all day. Maybe a night's rest will improve your capabilities." He looks skeptical. "Have some mushrooms too. They have healing properties."

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:31, Fri 03 May 2019.

Magdrak
 player, 50 posts
Fri 3 May 2019
at 15:55
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak nods at Greaek.  "We'll do what we can.  Appreciate the help with the not dying and all."  He then turns to Morg and continues.  "Nah, I just speak Dwarvish.  No fancy languages here.  But I agree that we should take a rest.  At least, I know I can use one.  Not sure about the rest of you."
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 477 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sat 4 May 2019
at 01:08
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak had looked over at Morg curiously as the questions started. Then he bit his lip and finally had to cover his mouth so his smirk wouldn't be visible. Morg sure had a way with words and non-dwarves!

He nodded in agreement of taking the 'job'. He intently watched, and then tried to replicate, the hand movements for the 'hand sign' to make sure he had it down. "Past columned chamber, first right, first left. Got it." He nodded to Magdrak. "Make no guarantees, but we'll try."

He was a bit wary, but the fiery dwarf was right - they needed to rest! So rest he would.
Morg Danforge
 player, 646 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 4sd8
Sat 4 May 2019
at 07:03
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg looks at the sliding wall, a way to get out again, and the cave itself as he enters.

"I'll take the 2nd watch." he says, "and Magdrag and I should probably try these black mushrooms before the delicate folk do."


If things look safe, Morg will eat some black mushrooms to try to figure out if it's healing or poisonous.

08:55, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 7 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 3.  Stonecunning check regarding origin of stonework of sliding wall.
08:55, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 17 using 1d20 with rolls of 17.  Investigate opening sliding wall from inside small cave.
08:56, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 17 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 14.  Perception check for dangers in small cave.

DM
 GM, 1329 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 4 May 2019
at 15:38
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg finds the mushrooms taste rather bland, but have a pleasing texture that reminds him of fine meats.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:38, Sat 04 May 2019.

Morg Danforge
 player, 647 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 4sd8
Sat 4 May 2019
at 20:46
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"These mushrooms don't seem to be poison, so the unpleasant fire dwarf was probably telling the truth when he said they have healing properties." Morg says, holding out some for the others.
Magdrak
 player, 51 posts
Mon 6 May 2019
at 15:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak grabs a couple of mushrooms and pops one into his mouth.  "Tasty.  I'll take first watch, if there's no objections."  He leaves his armor on for guard duty, but prepares his bedding for an eventual rest.  He puts a few extra mushrooms into a pouch for later.

OOC:  Magdrak will remove his armor for sleeping.
DM
 GM, 1330 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 7 May 2019
at 00:59
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Wiglaf takes a handful of mushrooms and devours them, dropping a few stems on the floor of the cave, then finds a corner of the cave away from the others to bed down for the night.

Greaek grunts as he sees the group making camp. "The Temple is just back to the natural tunnel, turn left and straight on until you hit it. Can't miss it." He pulls the natural rock door to, leaving just a crack. "Remember, don't mention me if you get caught. But you'll most likely just be killed outright. You're all in over your heads." He pulls the door the rest of the way closed.


Anything else you all would like to do before a long rest? Anyone else may of course have mushrooms.


Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 478 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 7 May 2019
at 18:41
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak gave Greaek a mock salute once his back was turned. He gave a shrug to himself and his allies. He smirked as he looked them over. "Hell, what does HE know? Pssh!" He waved a dismissive hand. "We've been in over our heads for like a MONTH now!"

He grinned widely and then yawned. "ugh. Wake me for last watch." He laid out his bedroll and crashed out.
Findarion
 player, 107 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Tue 7 May 2019
at 22:46
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"A month? Seems like quite the adventure you had..." Findarion remarks with an exhausted sigh.

"It was risky, trusting Graek. But, he seems to genuinely wish for his people's freedom. I don't think we need to fear betrayal, but let's stay on guard. I'll take the second watch."
DM
 GM, 1331 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 8 May 2019
at 21:05
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The slow drip, drip from the stalactites is the only sound during the night.


If there's nothing else you all want to do for Day 8, I'll close out this thread and post a Day 9. The Long Rest passes uneventfully =)

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:58, Sat 11 May 2019.