Day 8 - A New Day.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
Magdrak
 player, 34 posts
Thu 28 Feb 2019
at 04:16
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak arises from his most recent bout of unconsciousness, and stands up with a grunt.  "Thanks again!"

He pulls out another javelin and hurls it at the fleeing form of the elemental.



OOC:
Stand Up (1/2 Movement)
Wield Javelin (Free Action)
Throw Javelin at Fire Elemental w/Disadvantage (Action)

23:12, Today: Magdrak rolled 19 using 2d20+6, keeping the lowest dice only with rolls of 16,13.  Attack with Javelin (STR-thrown).
23:12, Today: Magdrak rolled 9 using 1d6+4 with rolls of 5.  Damage with Javelin. (Piercing)

Current HP: 8/32
Lay on Hands: 0/20
Current Spells:
1st: 0/3

Asano Breathkill
 player, 464 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 28 Feb 2019
at 21:01
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Eyes widening at the elemental's fast approach, Asano continues backpedaling. His focusing wand glows and with a few arcance words a small handful of razor sharp snowflakes launch from its tip at the elemental.





12:59, Today: Asano Breathkill rolled 22 using 5d6 with rolls of 5,2,6,3,6.  Wild Magic 54 result.
12:58, Today: Asano Breathkill rolled 54 using 1d100 with rolls of 54.  Wild Magic table.
12:58, Today: Asano Breathkill rolled 18 using 4d4+4 with rolls of 4,2,4,4.  Magic Missile 2nd level.


Action: Cast 2nd level Magic Missile at Elemental (Dmg- 18)
Move Action: Move to AA37
Bonus Action:


HP: 27/29 AC 12
Buffs/Debuffs: Cannot be intoxicated by alcohol for 22 days
Conditions: Conc Enlarge (Morg/Mag), Will cast shield if necessary
Spells/Sorcery Points, Tides of Chaos: 1st- 4/4 2nd- 0/3, 0/4, Yes


DM
 GM, 1263 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 1 Mar 2019
at 00:14
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The snowflakes slam into the fading form of the elemental. Its form abruptly melts, scattering a number of small fires onto the grass. Magdrak and Morg shrink quickly back to their normal sizes, shortly after the demise of the elemental.

Echos of the chanting cultists fade, and small burning embers float lazily through the clearing air. The air is still as lengthening afternoon shadows creep across the hillside. The campsites dotting the area show no signs of movement.

Wiglaf finally raises his head and looks around. His form shimmers, and he resumes his earlier human form, rumpled clothes streaked with dirt and blood. Sullenly, his sits on the ground.



And we're out of initiative!

XP Gained: 5250
XP Gained Each: 1312.5
Current XP (each PC): 5243.75

Asano Breathkill
 player, 465 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Fri 1 Mar 2019
at 02:35
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano surveys the now-quiet battlefield solemnly. He moves to the fallen form of Gariena, murmuring a quiet prayer for the dead. He looks around for the sprites that seemed to follow the druid.
Magdrak
 player, 35 posts
Fri 1 Mar 2019
at 05:36
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak moves around, gathering his fallen weapons and returning them to their proper places.  Walking over to Wiglaf, he sits down next to the other, though keeping his head down and avoiding eye contact.  "You fought with honor, Wiglaf.  I'm sorry about your friend."  After a pregnant pause, he continues.  "How'd it happen, man?  And when?  Were you hiding it while you were with the Bloodaxes?  It must be a heavy burden."  Another pause.  "Anything I can do?"  After this last, Magdrak finally bucks up the courage to look the man in the eyes.
Morg Danforge
 player, 624 posts
 LARGE mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 0as 0sd8
Fri 1 Mar 2019
at 08:58
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg collects his salvageable javelins, and takes out his scroll case as he walks over to Magdrak. Noticing the apparent familiarity the dwarf has with the werewolf, he stays a few feet away to allow them to talk in private.
How many javelins are still usable?
Findarion
 player, 82 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sat 2 Mar 2019
at 10:50
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
From behind the smoking tent comes the stealthy elf, whose clothes are charred by the blast of fire. He coughs up smoke and tries to wipe soot off his cloak.

"Best not get complacent. There was more of them. I sure wish we kept one of the cultists alive for questioning... what's done is done, however."
DM
 GM, 1265 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 2 Mar 2019
at 13:47
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Flix abruptly appears, blinking into view as he lands near Jak. Pulling out his bow and smoothly knocking an arrow, he points it at Asano as he kneels near Gariena's still form. "She's dead," he says flatly. "You going to do something like that fellow over there was doing?" He indicates Wiglaf, still seated near the ruined body of one of the cultists.

Wiglaf immediately looks away from Magdrak's gaze, woodenly looking at a blade of grass between his legs. "It was when I was on a patrol, a few months ago," he murmurs. "Nearly pitch black, and could barely see who - what - we were fighting. We drove them off. A couple of us got wounded, Storol and I, and another guy whose name I forgot got killed. Didn't think nothing of it really, just another battle scar. A few nights later though, the full moon came out and turned me into that horrible monster."

"Storol and me stayed with the Bloodaxes for as long as we could, but when we came here there was something started pulling at us. We talked about it some. Feeling like we were on the edge of violence at any given moment. Storol flat out transformed into a wolf not ten feet from group that was arguin' about working with this cult or leaving to find more worthy patrons. Lucky he wasn't seen. Both of us felt the constant call to violence, but Storol seemed to revel in it. It was a relief when the others left. We just stayed behind. I guess like you did."


"After we stayed, Storol got worse and worse. He'd get all excited when the cultists would talk to us about kidnappin' and killin' the innocent. It were a mercy he's been killed." He sighs bitterly. "Guess I'm still here though. Don't suppose you'd like to help with that?"


@Morg: Only one of your javelins was burned irreparably, so I think that puts you as still having 3.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:48, Sat 02 Mar 2019.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 447 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sat 2 Mar 2019
at 16:24
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak frowned deeply at the news and looked sorrowfully at Flix. "I'm so sorry." And he meant it. He wished he'd been paying more attention. He could have tried to heal her - but he was no cleric, he had a limited amount of healing to toss around. "What will you do after we bury her?" And he meant that to. He was going to put her to rest.

He looked around. "Where she should we bury her? Top of the hill?" He paused and looked at Flix. "Actually...would she want to be buried? Or something else?"
DM
 GM, 1266 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 2 Mar 2019
at 21:22
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Afid appears suddenly near Jak, eyeing the tall rogue warily.

"I don't know the druid's Rite of Passing, but probably burying or cremating her would be best. No telling what sort of animals there are around here who would desecrate her remains." She sticks her tongue out at Wiglaf. The werewolf pays her no mind.


Here's a link to the map of the hillside, in case you want to see the lay of the land around the hill. The second slide shows a zoomed-out view of the whole hill.

Magdrak
 player, 36 posts
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 05:24
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak sighs.  "That's... a lot to ask.  I really don't want to have to do that to a friend.  And you seem to be able to control yourself, even in battle.  Is that really what you want, to be put down?"
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 448 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 06:11
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak looked at his companions, scattered a bit as they were. "Will you all stay with me a a few moments? I wanna put Gariena's soul t'rest if we can, say a few quick words, an' burn her body so it's not ravaged by animals." As he spoke, he picked up her body up over his shoulders with some effort, and moved it closer to the nearest bonfire.

For expediency's sake, assuming it's okay...

Once there, he spoke a few formal words over the body, as not religious as he was, he had been to a few funerals and he parodied what he heard at one of them. "We set her body on the ground, that from which we spring. We light her body with fire so that her remains, like her soul, can take flight in to the air. We shed tears for the loss of her in this world, water to flow. to complete the elements. We ask that she find her rest eternal." He then put her body in to the fire, with help if someone was willing so it wouldn't be so awkward and potentially dangerous.

He watched the body and fire for a moment and then nodded. "Very well." He sighed. "So. To...the tower?"
DM
 GM, 1268 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 8 Mar 2019
at 03:08
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The air is still for a time around Gariena's funeral pyre, as no sound other than the crackling flames breaks the silence.

A short distance away, Wiglaf sighs. "I can't be allowed to hurt anyone... else," he says heavily to Magdrak. "The control I have may evaporate at any moment, and it may be an illusion even now. Hell, my skin crawls with violence just being on this hill." He sighs again. "I can't say I wish for death. But I do wish to be rid of this curse, one way or another."

While the somber group gathers around the fire, figures visible in the camps to the east side of the hill stir against the backdrop of their own fires. Yet none leave the confines of their camps to approach the strange gathering mourning the loss of Gariena.
Findarion
 player, 84 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Fri 8 Mar 2019
at 05:48
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The keen-eyed elf looks east at the camps, counting the number of people as well as figuring out who they are.

He approaches Magdrak and fishes out a small dagger, putting it gently in the dwarf's palm. "This blade is magical."
Magdrak
 player, 37 posts
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 05:20
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak looks at the dagger placed in his hand, and recoils slightly.  Shaking his head, he begins stuttering through word after painstaking word.  "I... I... I don't know if I can do this.  Are you... sure?  I... wish... there were a... a cure."
Asano Breathkill
 player, 466 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 16:09
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano takes part in the solemn funeral rites for the fallen druid. He is silent throughout, until he begins hearing the exchange between Wiglaf and Magdrak. The look on his face is grieved at the obvious pain the dwarf is experiencing at his friend's request.



Wracking his brain for possible cures for lycanthropy.


08:08, Today: Secret Roll: Asano Breathkill rolled 21 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 18.  Arcana.


Action:
Move Action:
Bonus Action:


HP: 27/29 AC 12
Buffs/Debuffs: Cannot be intoxicated by alcohol for 22 days
Conditions: Conc Enlarge (Morg/Mag), Will cast shield if necessary
Spells/Sorcery Points, Tides of Chaos: 1st- 4/4 2nd- 0/3, 0/4, Yes


DM
 GM, 1269 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 10 Mar 2019
at 15:41
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"I don't want to trouble you all with this." Wiglaf waves away Magdrak, with a sharp glance at Findarion and his offered dagger. "Probably wouldn't even work. Like as not I'd lose control, shift into a wolf, and murder you all."

Flix chimes in at Magdrak's mention of a cure. "Gariena told us she was here to meet with a powerful druid of the Circle of the Scarlet Moon. Maybe he can cure your monster curse?"

Afid tosses a pebble at Flix. "You want to trust these humans after they set that fire monster loose? They'll probably turn us all into fire wolves or hellhounds. Gariena would probably go south to that farmy place to the south, Goldenfields. Sometimes they take in druids to help with the plantings and stuff. I don't know if they'll talk to you all though."
Findarion
 player, 85 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sun 10 Mar 2019
at 17:40
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The elf grins, despite the tragedy of the situation, and retracts the dagger. "I had a feeling you wouldn't give up that easily." He teases the dwarves with arms crossed.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 467 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sun 10 Mar 2019
at 21:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"I thank you, little firends, for that advice. What will the two ofyou do now?" Asano says to the sprites. "Wiglaf, there may be some aid to be found for your condition in Goldenfields. For your aid in this conflict, I would certainly be willing to speak to the leaders there and see what may be done for your condition."
DM
 GM, 1270 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 23:43
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Thank you," Wiglaf replies, nodding to Asano. "That's a kind and generous offer. I don't know that you ought to be traveling with me though. I'm not exactly tame." His feral grin disappears a moment after it appeared, replaced again with resigned complacency.

Afid and Flix share a glance at Asano's question, then Afid shrugs. "[Language unknown:  Inthoutho e Pl any? Nimewe utio Undionthi een mi n inelarman. Ere E ratvirave io t ie redreseau neort hi et whi.]"

Flix eyes the group appraisingly. "What are you all planning to do?" he asks, a hint of challenge in his voice.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:59, Mon 11 Mar 2019.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 468 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Tue 12 Mar 2019
at 22:03
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Us? Probably the same as when we came upon this gathering," Asano replies to the sprites. "We each have our own goals in the valley, but they all seem to be centered upon a number of groups receiving or drawing power from different natural elements. Our next step, though, is probably Goldenfields. Unless any of you know Bastian Thermander?"
DM
 GM, 1271 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 12 Mar 2019
at 22:39
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Flix and Afid exchange glances once again. "What do you want with Bastian Thermandar?" Afid asks, while Flix moves towards Asano.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 469 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Tue 12 Mar 2019
at 23:23
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"I have questions that he has the answers to," Asano says, trying to guage the sprites reactions to Thermander's name.


OOC:
Insight- 16

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 449 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 12 Mar 2019
at 23:52
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak piped up with one index finger pointing towards the sky. "T'be clear, we're gonna go t'the tower up on the hill FIRST..." He spread his hands, "an' THEN we're..." He turned with a questioning eyebrow at the group, "...we're goin' t'Goldenfields? Um. Okay." He gave a shrug.
Magdrak
 player, 38 posts
Wed 13 Mar 2019
at 02:38
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak stands up and proffers a hand to Wiglaf.  "If there's a chance, Wiglaf, maybe you should go to Goldenfields..."  He looks around at the others.  "Shouldn't we look around here a little more?  Make sure there aren't any of those blasted cultists left to summon another fire beast?  After a bit of a rest, of course, as I'm a bit sore from our previous encounter.  I know I just met you all, but it seems like you have similar interests to mine.  I'd rather join up then go at it alone, if it's the same to you."