Day 8 - A New Day.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 1272 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 14 Mar 2019
at 01:00
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"I suppose I'll stick around with you all as well, for a time," Wiglaf says reluctantly. "But if I start to murder one of you, the rest of you need to point me off towards some squirrel or something. I don't want to be responsible for one of your deaths."

Flix approaches Asano, then flies up near his shoulder to look him in the eyes. "What sort of questions?" he asks suspiciously, before he reaches out for Asano's shoulder.


Asano believes the sprites have heard Bastian's name recently, perhaps from Gariena or someone else in the camp.

Asano, you can take an action if you like before Flix touches you (like try to avoid his touch, for instance, which would take a Dex save). If he touches you you'll need to make a Charisma save (which you can choose to auto-fail if you prefer).

Anyone who would like to can make a Nature check on their knowledge of Sprites, but not before Flix's action plays out.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:01, Thu 14 Mar 2019.

Asano Breathkill
 player, 470 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 14 Mar 2019
at 04:27
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Questions such as, 'Why did you burn down an entire village?," Asano says cheerfully. The half-elf makes no move to avoid the sprite's touch. "Reports pin a number of heinous crimes on the man's shoulders. I have been tasked with finding answers to those questions and acting as magistrate in the event the rumors prove true."


OOC:
Cha save- 18/19 if it is a charm effect.

DM
 GM, 1273 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 15 Mar 2019
at 01:10
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Flix relaxes slightly as his tiny hand comes away from Asano's shoulder. "One of the campers on that side of the hill was asking about him earlier today," he replies, nodding slightly to Afid.
Morg Danforge
 player, 626 posts
 LARGE mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 0as 0sd8
Fri 15 Mar 2019
at 11:29
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Know what's in the tower? Or if there's anything dangerous in the other tents?" Morg asks Wiglaf and the sprites.
DM
 GM, 1274 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 15 Mar 2019
at 23:31
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Wiglaf shakes his head. "I've only seen the druids - er, cultists I guess - come out of the tower. They've brought some folks in that I seen from a distance, but they ain't come out yet." He pauses, apparently ruminating on what that might mean.

"Ain't been around to the other tents neither. Storol and I kinda kept to ourselves mostly."
Findarion
 player, 86 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sat 16 Mar 2019
at 16:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion's attention is grabbed by Wiglaf's words. "Into the tower?" his voice gets more heated by the minute. "We must find a way in, immediately!" The elf storms off towards the tower rather rapidly, a look of worry on his face.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 450 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sat 16 Mar 2019
at 17:38
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
In to the tower had been his intention anyway, so nothing really changed for him. Jak gave a shrug and looked to the others for just a moment before he started heading up the hill towards the tower as well.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 471 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sun 17 Mar 2019
at 06:04
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano looks beseechingly toward the hill the sprites mentioned then grits his teeth. "Aye, tower first. Thermander's trail will wait," he says, following those who had already moved toward the tower. Then, quieter, "Or he'll make another mess and I'll find him."
DM
 GM, 1276 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 17 Mar 2019
at 17:09
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The group ascends the hill after Findarion, back towards the tower. The courtyard appears still and empty of people or movement. The wicker structure where the fire elemental was previously enclosed is now a massive bonfire. Thick black smoke pours into the air and adds to the haze. The partially collapsed scaffolding on the western side of the hill smoulders.

Near the back of the gathering, Wiglaf talks in low voices with the two sprites.


Map updated.  I also figured out that I can just post the map to the Game Map link at the top of the screen! If you can't get to the Google Docs version of the map it should be visible there.

From this side it looks like the remaining structure is fairly stable, though some of its supports are clearly damaged by the fire or missing entirely. There does seem to be a gap of about 5-10' between the top of the remaining scaffolding and the door into the structure itself.

Recall Findarion had previously investigated the ruined "main entrance" at ground level in the front of the tower, but its partially open doors are blocked from the inside by a pile of rubble.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:14, Sun 17 Mar 2019.

Morg Danforge
 player, 627 posts
 LARGE mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 0as 0sd8
Mon 18 Mar 2019
at 15:50
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg looks the tower over, trying to figure out if it's dwarven-forged.
17:48, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 10 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 6.  Stonecunning check regarding origin of stonework of tower: dwarven?

This message was last edited by the player at 15:50, Mon 18 Mar 2019.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 452 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 18 Mar 2019
at 17:57
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak moved up to the right side of the tower, climbing up the scaffolding some as well, looking around to see if there appeared to be any way to enter the tower other than the blocked main entrance. There had been guards up above previously, but they could have climbed the scaffolding, he supposed.
Asano Breathkill
 player, 472 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Tue 19 Mar 2019
at 01:03
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano approaches the tower with the rest of the group. As the others ascend the scorched scaffolding, Asano watches carefully for any sections that need to be reinforced through a judicious application of his frost magics.


OOC:
Asano will ue ray of frost to try and attach/strengthen any weak joints or connections that he thinks won't be damaged worse by the cantrip.


DM
 GM, 1277 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 19 Mar 2019
at 01:16
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak finds the walls of the tower to be made of rough flagstone, but unbroken by any way inside from the eastern side.

As Asano ascends after him, no fire damage is evident on this side. The scaffolding extends around the front of the tower to the western side, where Asano had assisted in putting out the fire before the fire elemental's release.


Morg can tell that the tower is not of dwarven make.

Findarion
 player, 87 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Wed 20 Mar 2019
at 11:35
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The elf looks at the main entrance again, unhappy. He's flicking a dagger in his right hand absentmindedly "I recall seeing a guard on the top, so there must be a way in from there. The only problem is, how do we get there?"
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 453 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 20 Mar 2019
at 14:26
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak kept moving, heading up and around the back of the tower. He knew somewhere there would be a way to get in, but he wasn't sure WHERE it was specifically. He thought like a criminal (who were used to thinking like non-criminals all the time to rob them. "Where would I be...if I were a secret entrance?"

08:25, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 19 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 14.  Investigation?
DM
 GM, 1278 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 21 Mar 2019
at 00:30
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak moves along the eastern side of the tower toward the north side, running his hands along the rough stonework. The scaffolding ends before turning the corner however, and the back of the tower looks like more featureless stone. Near the bottom of the hill on this side, Jak can just make out his mount, Sharpwind, grazing in the sparse grass.

Near the base of the tower, Wiglaf converses with the two sprites. "Your condition really is tragic," Afid continues. "I think you should consider this offer. I believe it will grant you some manner of control, after a fashion. We come as emissaries only, but we offer this small token to seal the bargain." Seemingly from thin air, Flix produces a milky orb that easily dwarfs his own small frame. The coloration and markings on it resemble that of the moon. He extends it towards Wiglaf.

Jak doesn't find any secret doors on this side of the tower. The rough flagstone seems to have plenty of foot/hand holds, however...

Findarion (and the rest of the party) recalls there being a doorway at the top of the scaffolding on the western side of the tower, about 30' above ground level. The scaffolding fire occurred right at that spot however, so there may be a gap between the scaffolding untouched by the fire and the doorway.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:32, Thu 21 Mar 2019.

Findarion
 player, 88 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Thu 21 Mar 2019
at 09:56
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Remembering that the side entrance exists, Findarion walks over to the western side and examines the scaffolding, the doorway, and possible ways to get inside. He makes a couple magic gestures as he does so.

Summoning an invisible Mage Hand.

10:56, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 8 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 3.  Investigation.

DM
 GM, 1279 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 22 Mar 2019
at 01:05
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion finds the door on this side stands slightly ajar, roughly five feet beyond where the scaffolding ends. The rough flagstones offer plenty of hand and footholds on this side of the tower as well.

Below, the ruins of the scaffolding sit at the foot of the tower, still smouldering. Perhaps fifty feet above the door, the wall is topped by a crenelated spire at the corner of a steeply sloping roof.


A quick reminder - there was talk of a short rest a while back, though that hasn't happened yet ;).

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 454 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Fri 22 Mar 2019
at 01:40
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak thought he figured out, well that he had remembered really, where they needed to go. He paused, however, for a second and called quietly down to those NOT on the scaffolding. "I think I remember where t'go but...Did we want t'take a breather 'fore we head in here?" He shrugged. "I'm game if you all are t'keep goin', but wasn't sure 'bout the rest o'ya."
Magdrak
 player, 40 posts
Fri 22 Mar 2019
at 04:53
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak nods.  "I can definitely use a rest.  I took quite a beatin' from all them baddies."
Morg Danforge
 player, 629 posts
 LARGE mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Mon 25 Mar 2019
at 17:00
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg takes out a scroll case and says to Magdrak [Language unknown:  "Notha taion acos nero e evnde k es?"] He then walks to a more secluded section of the wall, sits down to rest, and places the case on the ground in front of him before starting to clean his weapons.
If the short rest is not interrupted, then:
recharge Second wind, Action surge, and Battle master dice, and spend last 3 HD for 25 HP.

18:44, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 5 using 1d10+2 with rolls of 3.  HP recovered from hit die 3 of 4.
18:45, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 12 using 1d10+2 with rolls of 10.  HP recovered from hit die 2 of 4.
18:46, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 8 using 1d10+2 with rolls of 6.  HP recovered from hit die: last one.

Edit: "Language X" works, but "Private to group X" doesn't seem to.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:05, Tue 26 Mar 2019.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 456 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 25 Mar 2019
at 18:40
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak climbed down when the others spoke about taking a short rest before going forward. He gave a shrug and smiled, "Fine by me. Whatever's whatever!" He sat down near Morg and pulled out his lute. He began to play a slow, haunting melody as everyone 'relaxed' around him. It felt strangely soothing to those wounded.

If you spend any hit dice, you will also gain 1 D6 of hit point healing as well from the song.
Findarion
 player, 90 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Mon 25 Mar 2019
at 19:28
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Fine, but let us not delay too long..." the elf reluctantly agrees to a rest, even though he is grievously injured.

20:22, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 24 using 4d8 with rolls of 2,8,8,6.  HD.

Bringing me to 26/26

DM
 GM, 1281 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 26 Mar 2019
at 00:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The hillside remains still and silent as the group spends the next hour recovering their breath and binding wounds. The remaining wooden structure collapses into ash after a short while, leaving a pile of smouldering embers. The air clears somewhat in the absence of the raging bonfire, and a breeze scatters ashes into the air. Jak's lute echos hauntingly in the dim afternoon light.

Morg shows Magdrak a very old looking map, filled with Dwarven symbols.


You successfully complete the short rest! Feel free to post anything else you do during the short rest, or if you like we can move on assuming the rest is over.

Magdrak, if you'd like to spend any hit dice to recover hp, go ahead and post that in your next post (including the extra d6 from Jak's song).

Anyone can make a history or an investigation check if you examine the map (also available at the Game Map link RPoL menu). If you can speak Dwarvish you can make either (or both) check with advantage.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:28, Tue 26 Mar 2019.

Magdrak
 player, 41 posts
Tue 26 Mar 2019
at 05:46
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak stops with the rest of the group to rest his wounds.  He closes his eyes and listens as Jak plays a tune.  "That song was..."  He never completes his sentence.  When Morg comes over with a map, he examines it carefully.  "Let's take a peek at what you've got."  After a few moment's pause, he gives his initial reaction.  "Hmmm...  Besilmer...  Why does that sound familiar?"  He turns the paper over carefully in his hands.  "Looks very old.  Where'd you get this?"

OOC:

01:11, Today: Magdrak rolled 10 using 1d10+3 with rolls of 7.  HD - Short Rest.
01:11, Today: Magdrak rolled 12 using 1d10+3 with rolls of 9.  HD - Short Rest.
01:14, Today: Magdrak rolled 1 using 1d6 with rolls of 1.  HP - Song of Rest.

01:15, Today: Magdrak rolled 15 using 2d20-1, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 14,16.  Investigation Roll.
01:15, Today: Magdrak rolled 9 using 2d20-1, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 10,10.  History Check.

Current HP31/32
Current HD2d10/4
Lay on Hands0/20
 
Current Spells
1st0/3