Day 8 - A New Day.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
Morg Danforge
 player, 635 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Thu 11 Apr 2019
at 12:32
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg scrambles up the rope. Once inside, he looks down "Is the elf here?"

This message was last edited by the player at 12:35, Thu 11 Apr 2019.

Magdrak
 player, 44 posts
Thu 11 Apr 2019
at 14:55
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak climbs up the rope after Morg, stepping into the room with the others.  As he walks through the entryway, he begins grumbling to himself.  "I dunno what they're thinkin'.  When they recruited me, they talked about changing the world, and how I'd play a big part of that.  Now look at me, chasin' all over the 'Fells after some prisoner for the high muckity-mucks."  Turning to the guards, he continues.  "Sorry, friends, I don't mean to complain.  It seems like you ain't got it much better'n me, guardin' some hole."  He looks at Jak.  "Well?  Where is he?"
Asano Breathkill
 player, 485 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Thu 11 Apr 2019
at 19:18
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano watches too calmly as the others ascend the tower, by scaffold or by rope. He eyes the rope as though it were the snake it writhed as, before taking a deep breath and taking hold of the rope. He carefully climbed the rope, using the support of the tower and the ruined scaffolding to aid his ascent. By the time he reaches the tower landing, he is sweating profusely, his skin pale with effort and controlled terror. He pushes into the room, stepping around the corner of the entryway and placing his back solidly against the wall. Within the next few heartbeats, he composes himself and starts as he realizes he stands near the edge of a black hole.
Findarion
 player, 100 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Thu 11 Apr 2019
at 19:23
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Down there..." Findarion stands at the edge of the hole. He eyes the guards suspiciously, then back down the hole. He doesn't speak anymore, even though there are pressing questions to be answered.

Can Findarion figure out/notice any way to descend?
DM
 GM, 1303 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 12 Apr 2019
at 00:19
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Peering down the hole, Findarion doesn't see any obvious ways down. The light from below continues to move over ruined wood and stone, casting moving shadows in the gloom.


There's no obvious way to descend at-a-glance, though anyone who wishes can make a perception check. That said, the rope tied around the doorway is likely long enough to reach down the hole as well.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 471 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Fri 12 Apr 2019
at 01:22
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak restrained a sigh of relief as the rest of his allies FINALLY started to come in to the room. The odds would have been distinctly against Jak if something had awry and combat had started up.

He rolled his eyes and looked at the dwarf and guards. "So. Other than makin' us guess...how do you normally get down there? Kinda in a hurry, so I'd like t'avoid playin' games if we could?" He shook his head. "Lytin didn't seem...the patient sort. Or the forgivin' sort, for that matter."
DM
 GM, 1304 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 12 Apr 2019
at 13:41
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Amused, Greaek motions to a steel ring fastened to the side of the ascending stairs opposite the hole.

One of the guards produces a rope from underneath the stairs and hands it to Jak wordlessly. One end of the rope appears to be singed and blackened, but it looks sturdy otherwise.
Morg Danforge
 player, 636 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Fri 12 Apr 2019
at 13:42
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg looks down, and (if not seeing anything suicidally dangerous down there) tosses the end of the rope down the hole after the rest of the party's finished using it.
15:37, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 19 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 16.  Perception check down the hole.
15:39, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 13 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 10.  Disadvantage (darkvision 60') perception check down the hole.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 472 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Fri 12 Apr 2019
at 16:02
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jake tied off the rope the guard handed him, moving methodically and carefully despite his desire to descend and get this task completed with. He tugged it a few times as hard as he could and then handed it to Morg. "Alright, gents. Head down an' I'll follow last."
DM
 GM, 1305 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 12 Apr 2019
at 16:27
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Peering through the hole in the floor, Morg sees a massive pile of rubble covering the floor of the chamber, completely blocking the south wall in front of the ruined main doors to the tower. Apparently the furniture and flooring from the room in which the group stands fell through the floor here to the room below.

As Morg watches, a small creature seemingly made out of fire capers into view. It dances around a fallen wooden beam and sets it alight in several places before meandering across the rest of the rubble out of sight to the north half of the room.
Findarion
 player, 101 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sat 13 Apr 2019
at 11:11
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion unties his own rope, giving the dwarf a dirty look."Really... no other way down?" he sighs deeply. "Getting the prisoner out will be trouble."
Magdrak
 player, 45 posts
Sat 13 Apr 2019
at 17:04
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak chuckles.  "Won't be a problem.  Unless the prisoner is suicidal or can fly, just put climbers above and climbers below, with a nice spearpoint for prodding.  They'll move fast enough."  He peers down the hole and gives a nod, as if satisfied with what he sees.
Morg Danforge
 player, 637 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Tue 16 Apr 2019
at 07:43
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg describes the small fire creature to the party, and asks the guards about it. He climbs down, trying not to look too threatening.
DM
 GM, 1309 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 17 Apr 2019
at 01:41
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Greaek chuckles at Morg's question. "Those magmins are clearing away the debris. Watch yourselves, they don't take kindly to strangers." Morg sees a total of five of the small fire creatures as he descends the rope. They caper about the ruins of the entrance hall to the tower, burning a pile of fallen wooden beams along the north wall.

Framed among the burning beams, the opening to a tunnel gapes from the wreckage. Leading downward, tendrils of black smoke float slowly upward from its gaping maw. Despite the warmth from the flaming wood around its opening, the tunnel seems to emanate the cold of the grave.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:41, Wed 17 Apr 2019.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 473 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 17 Apr 2019
at 03:48
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak waited for the others to climb down before him. He managed to look almost bored as he waited. Of all of them, as far as he knew, he was the only one whom the climb....or potential fall...wouldn't be a bother to. Riding on a flying beast made him damn sure he had something up his sleeve in case of a fall, after all.

He threw a mock-salute at Greaek and the guards. "See you in a bit." Only once everyone else was down or almost down to Jak begin the descent as well. Then he headed towards the tunnel unless someone suggested something else.
DM
 GM, 1310 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 17 Apr 2019
at 22:20
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak climbs down the rope behind the others. As the group gathers at the bottom of the rope, the curious magmins towards the north end of the room stop running around to watch. They move forward aggressively as the group looks towards the foreboding tunnel.


Map updated! Also available at the Game Map link via RPoL.

Jak, Wiglaf, Morg, and Findarion are up now. Asano and Magdrak can also post now, and update their posts after the mid-round update, if needed.

Round 1 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Jak22 
Wiglaf18 
Morg15 
Findarion14 
Magmins10 
Asano8 
Magdrak8 

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:43, Fri 19 Apr 2019.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 474 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 18 Apr 2019
at 00:27
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak stopped and turned with a sigh as the fire creatures become hostile. "It's really just NOT our day, is it?" He shook his head.

He looked back at the fiery creatures. "Look...can we just NOT do this? We're not here t'mess with you, we just need t'get someone an' we'll leave, okay? You do your thing, we do ours, no one gets hurt, yah?"


12:41, Today: Secret Roll: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 22 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 16.  Persuasion.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:41, Fri 19 Apr 2019.

Morg Danforge
 player, 638 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Thu 18 Apr 2019
at 13:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Whoa, stay - there's no need for fighting!" Morg says holding out a hand to the little fire creatures. "Besides, all these wizards could easily douse you all."

He takes out a javelin, but doesn't throw it - yet.
Move: 5' to r100.

Interaction: take out a javelin, keeping greatsword in other hand.

Action: ready action: throw javelin the moment any hostile attacks or moves towards us - hits AC 22 for 7 piercing.

15:17, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 22 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 15.  Attack hostile with javelin1.
15:17, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 7 using 1d6+5 with rolls of 2.  Piercing damage to hostile from javelin1.

Wiglaf
 player, 10 posts
 AC: 11 HP:17/17
Fri 19 Apr 2019
at 18:41
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Seeing the magmins approach, Wiglaf loses control and lets out a howl of rage. His transformation to the horrid hybrid wolf form is abrupt, and he quickly lashes out at the magmin nearest him with his jaws.


Wiglaf shapeshifts into hybrid form and attacks M5 with bite and claws - HIT with bite for 5 piercing.


14:37, Today: Secret Roll: DM, on behalf of Wiglaf, rolled 8 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 4.  wiglaf claw M5.
14:37, Today: Secret Roll: DM, on behalf of Wiglaf, rolled 5 using 1d8+2 with rolls of 3.  bite damage vs. M5.
14:36, Today: Secret Roll: DM, on behalf of Wiglaf, rolled 16 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 12.  wiglaf bite M5.
14:34, Today: Secret Roll: DM, on behalf of Wiglaf, rolled 3 using 1d20 with rolls of 3.  Con save - werewolf.

Findarion
 player, 103 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Tue 23 Apr 2019
at 19:15
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The elf pulled the bowstring in a threatening manner, but withheld the shot as Jakrynn attempted to parley.

As the situation turned hostile, he released the arrow at the nearest of the magmins.


21:14, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 14 using 1d8+2d6+4 with rolls of 5,1,4.  Sneak Attack damage.

21:13, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 23 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 17.  Attack.

Attack magmin 5

Magdrak
 player, 47 posts
Wed 24 Apr 2019
at 01:35
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak steps forward, careful to not present a threatening stance, and attempts to put Morg's flames out.  "Only fair, since you done this for me before."
DM
 GM, 1319 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 26 Apr 2019
at 11:51
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The magmins dance across the rubble gleefully, aggressively moving to the newcomers to set them on fire. A couple of them manage to set Morg alight as he retaliates. Wiglaf and Findarion both attack a nearby magmin who abruptly explodes in a fiery blast, setting alight nearby piles of wooden rubble.

At Jak's plea, Greaek pokes his head through the hole. "Not enjoying the pets' games are you?" he grates disdainfully. He yells something guttural at the magmins, who reluctantly stop grabbing at the new arrivals for a moment. The fire-haired dwarf then descends the rope, joining the others in the lower room.

Greaek looks disdainfully at the ruin of the magmin, then speaks roughly again to the remaining beasts. They move away, and return to capering amongst the ruins, setting small fires. He then turns his eye to Jak and the others.

"Follow me if you're comin'. Looks like you need a babysitter for a time." He moves toward the gaping mouth of the tunnel in the north of the room, shoving the occasional broken beam out of his path.


We're now out of initiative, so anyone can take their actions now.

Magdrak and Asano still must make Dex saves (DC 11) or take 11 fire (5 on successful save).

Round 1 Summary
Jak steps back and tries to persuade the magmins to leave them alone.

Wiglaf shapeshifts into hybrid form and attacks M5 with bite and claws - HIT with bite for 5 piercing.

Morg steps forward and throws a javelin vs. M4 - HIT for 7 piercing.

Findarion fires an arrow at M5 - HIT for 14 piercing. M5 is dead and explodes - Magdrak, Wiglaf, and Asano must make Dex saves (DC 11) or take 11 fire (5 on successful save). Wiglaf fails save.

Magmins
M1 moves forward and attacks Morg - HIT for 6 fire. Morg is on fire.
M2 moves forward and attacks Magdrak - MISS.
M3 moves forward and attacks Wiglaf - MISS.
M4 moves forward and attacks Morg - HIT for 9 fire.

Asano hangs out.

Magdrak puts out Morg's fire.

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:52, Fri 26 Apr 2019.

Morg Danforge
 player, 640 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 4sd8
Fri 26 Apr 2019
at 14:45
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg thanks Magdrak and straightens his singed beard, "So much for my fire dwarf impression."

He follows Greaek , helping with some non-burning beams.
16:41, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 12 using 1d10+4 with rolls of 8.  HP recovered from second wind.
Findarion
 player, 104 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sat 27 Apr 2019
at 08:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"A warning would be welcome next time." The elf scowls, following Graek along. He kept an eye out for the little fiery creatures.
DM
 GM, 1322 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 27 Apr 2019
at 17:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Greaek mutters at Findarion in the same harsh language that he used to speak to the magmins, and gives him an evil grin. He leads the group past the small fires through the ominous black tunnel at the north end of the room.

The tunnel slopes downward abruptly beyond the tunnel opening, and continues down through several seemingly random twists. The walls, floor, and ceiling of the tunnel are all curved, with no visible markings from any mining or excavation tools. A steady, warm breeze rises up from the depths, getting warmer as the group descends. The air carries a faint smell of ash mixed with attar.

Greaek leads the group down through the meandering tunnels, confidently choosing a path forward past several branching tubes that lead off into darkness. He bypasses several different-looking tunnels, seemingly carved from the rock with pickaxes or shovels.

After about 20 minutes of walking, Greaek pauses at an intersection. He chooses a mining tunnel that leads off to the left, sloping upwards. Several yards down this tunnel he stops abruptly next to the rocky wall and turns back to the party.

Looking at the group consideringly, he pauses for several seconds before speaking. "You're all pathetic and weak," he grates in Common. "I don't know what you're doing here, but you'll die the moment you walk into the Temple of Eternal Flame. Hell, a handful of playful magmins nearly burned you all to a crisp, and you're clearly not members of the Cult - not the Cult of Eternal Flame, anyway. Still, maybe with some coaching, you can serve my purpose. Do you really intend to bring out this Merellien prisoner? If so, I have a proposition for you in exchange for my help." The fire that makes up his beard and hair flares as he glares at Findarion and the others.