Day 8 - A New Day.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
Alnessa'Elbrani
 player, 7 posts
 Wood Elf
 Monk
Mon 20 Aug 2018
at 20:59
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Perhaps we will have a chance to debate the finer points of the Elven language, but not now," Alnessa shrugged to the tenacious human. To be called Half-Elf seemed distasteful. Why diminish the better half?

She turned her attention to the brooding knight, and though she only half-understood what was happening, she too joined in the chorus with the pretty human. "Yes! Answer her questions! Where is Savra? I will not stop my hunt until she answers for her..."

She trailed off. Crimes? She wasn't sure if any crime had been committed.

"...Absence!"
DM
 GM, 1116 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 21 Aug 2018
at 20:12
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano shrugs. "It stands to reason they are a cult. They fight against the Earth Cult we discovered at the monastery. Savra said they sought to master elemental air. They have some rather extreme ceremonies - such as threatening their guests with being thrown off the top of their tower." He shrugs again. "Sounded like a cult to me."

Huet scowls at Zora, Alnessa, and Asano in turn. "We are - or perhaps were - a group of flying enthusiasts, hunters, sportsmen and women, and protectors of the valley. Many of us came from Waterdeep and are fine upstanding citizens of that city."

His haughty tone falters after a moment, and his shoulders slump. "Whilst time went on, I began to have my suspicious that not all was as it seemed. Thurl met on occasion with other groups, and he was sometimes secretive about what those groups wanted and what they would ask of us. Some of our rituals were indeed extreme, more than merely passing strange. I suppose the leadership of the group could have been wrapped up in a cult after all."

He mops his brow in the heat radiating from the stone. "Savra did speak of attacking that group to the northeast of here, associated with Bastian Thermandar, but Thurl always redirected her towards other targets, never quite saying no to her. I suspecteth he never would have attacked them despite Savra's belief that he would, once we had gained enough power. I think now her plan is to find some other way to get at Thermandar, and she's left to find it. And probably she feeleth some shame in her actions, which spurred her to leave suddenly."

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:36, Tue 21 Aug 2018.

Zora Jilkina
 player, 256 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 03:39
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"That's not all you were," she scowled at the knight as she listened to his story. She could tell there was more to what he was saying.

"You need to tell us everything. No holding back. Thurl is gone and you WERE serving a cult! You need to make a clean break from that and redeem yourself good knight."

I've got nothing for charisma skills, but insight? He's not telling us everything. Someone want to browbeat him more effectively than me?

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 369 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 15:06
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak made some gestures with his hands towards Zora as if to say 'calm down' or 'okay, okay, hang on'. But with his back to Suet, he gave her a wink. Then he turned to the knight with a concerned frown on his face. He lowered his voice a bit, but not enough so his companions couldn't hear him if they wanted to.

"Look. Huet. We've all been through quite a lot lately. It's been beyond rough, honestly. Some of us," He deliberately didn't look around at any of his companions, "are a bit cranky an' agitated...an' I know you're tryin' t'be helpful here, but if there's anythin' more you could tell us, somethin' important that might..." He put up a hand to say the next bit behind as if a secret between just the two of them, though he didn't lower his voice, "placate others...that would be very much appreciated." He winked at the knight. "I mean, I have t'travel with these people, y'unnerstand. You'd really be doin' me a solid here."

09:00, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 18 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 12.  Persuasion.
DM
 GM, 1117 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 23:30
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Huet sighs, then reluctantly begins. "Mayhap there are some other bits of knowledge I can pass along. The - group - nameth themselves the Howling Hatred. Verily, Asano is right, its members dedicate themselves to harnessing the destructive powers of wind and storm. Wind can be a powerful ally." Huet's eyes gleam. "Channeled properly, it can express your innermost desires, gain you things wrongfully denied, e'en punish those who have wronged you."

Seemingly freed of his reticence, Huet continues eagerly on. "The Howling Hatred is ledeth by our prophet and queen, Aerisi Kalinoth, and we are her loyal subjects. Ne'er have I met her, yet I am betold that musicians and courtiers come from far and wide to flatter and amuse her."

Huet pauses again, a little abashed at his excitement. "I am told she is very formidable, and that she bears a divine token as a weapon - a mighty spear. She dwells within a temple devoted to elemental air, and that temple is heavily guarded. I would not recommend making an enemy of her. Her skill with the spear - and her anger - ar't formidable indeed."

Huet turns to Alnessa. "Savra did participate in the raids, along with the other knights. There may have been one as far distant as the High Forest, I suppose, though I heard not a word from her of enmity towards the elves. Always from her it was plans to attack the fire-worshippers." Huet peers at Jak, Zora, and the rest, his face a question. "Dost thou now haveth the information ye seek?"


It's clear this is all Huet will volunteer on his own, but if you have other specific questions ask away!

Zora Jilkina
 player, 257 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Fri 24 Aug 2018
at 16:22
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
She shrugged and replied, "Thank you for being open with us. It seems we have a bigger problem than we thought. Though it seems approaching Kalinoth and The Howling Hatred in their temple is too much for us right now."

"I have my own problems with Shatterkeel and Quanderil. If no one has any more pressing suggestion, I say we travel to Womford and track them down. There may be clues to your missing delegation along the way."

She turned again to Huet and asked, "about this delegation. Have you any knowledge of them? What happened to them? I think Thurl did, perhaps you overheard something?"

OOC: Did we search Thurl's office thoroughly?
Morg Danforge
 player, 559 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Fri 24 Aug 2018
at 17:20
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg nods as Zora speaks, "If it's even possible the Mirabar delegation's been captured and there are still members alive as prisoners - then I think we have to go look in Womford."
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 373 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 04:48
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak smiled at Huet. "Thanks, Huet. I think that's good. You've been a solid ally, an' comin' from the Feathergale Knight ranks, that's sayin' somethin'!" He offered his hand to shake.

Then to Zora and Morg he gave a nod. "Yeah, I'd like t'try an' find the missin' delegates if we could." He gave a shrug and frowned. "Womford? Sure. Okay. Can I take Sharpwind?"
DM
 GM, 1124 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 21:49
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Huet looks regretful. "I was not part of the raiding party that intercepted them, but I have overheard conversations. Methinks that the earth cult did attack the Mirabar delegation. We Knights did attack them in turn on their way back to their lair, and we recovered several of the Mirabar delegation in that raid. Methinks the dead may be buried to the south of here, wherest I did first encounter some of you and did slay the remains of an ogre."

You did search Thurl's office thoroughly =)

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:50, Thu 30 Aug 2018.

Findarion
 player, 3 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Fri 31 Aug 2018
at 12:26
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The discussion is interrupted with a bell ring. Someone is trying to get into the Spire.
DM
 GM, 1126 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 2 Sep 2018
at 01:57
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Though the bell rings from beyond the twenty foot gap between the ledge and drawbridge to Feathergale Spire, its clarion call clearly reaches the second floor where the group stands discussing plans.


I will assume the prior day's riches are distributed as previously discussed, unless anyone posts alternative plans.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 498 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sun 2 Sep 2018
at 03:25
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Mayon jolted at the sound, glancing in the direction of the front entrance.  He murmured softly to the sprite on his shoulder, which nodded and turned invisible, going to scout out their new arrival.
Findarion
 player, 4 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sun 2 Sep 2018
at 10:37
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
A tall figure in dark cloak stands near the drawbridge, watching the spire in silence. The hood fails to conceal two long, pointy ears.

Absent-mindedly, they fiddle with a coin in one hand. The gold piece weaves in and out of sight in a practiced sleight of hand show.
DM
 GM, 1127 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 2 Sep 2018
at 17:53
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Myr moves quickly out the window to observe the figure on the other side of the gap. The figure's head moves slightly in Myr's direction.
Findarion
 player, 6 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Mon 3 Sep 2018
at 16:26
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
After a few seconds the newcomer sighs and stops fiddling with the coin.

"Invisible is not imperceptible. Now, will you lower the drawbridge or continue to be rude?"
Morg Danforge
 player, 563 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Tue 4 Sep 2018
at 10:46
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
While waiting on Mayon's scout, Morg turns to Huet, "Were any of the recovered delegation still alive, and if so do you know where they could be now?"
DM
 GM, 1130 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 00:44
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"If any did remain alive, they were likely taken to the Temple of Howling Hatred," Huet replies.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 374 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 05:04
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak moved to the window and called down in his best arrogant knight voice. "Halt!" Even though he clearly already had. "Who goes there? State your name and business or be turned away!" He leaned back slightly and turned his face towards his companions to let out a little giggle that was definitely not knight-like. He had barely stopped himself from giving some long-winded and/or flowery language about what this place was that the person had approached. Instead he simply waited for the response.
Findarion
 player, 7 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 10:13
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"A weary traveller by the name of Findarion... Looking for answers to a few questions." The man answers cautiously in a melodic voice, turning towards Jak.

He shifts back a little and stopped playing with the coin, asking with a bit of hesitation. "...What is it that has you so amused?"
Morg Danforge
 player, 564 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 10:27
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg looks Huet over. "I think one of the stone monastery monks said you lot were the Howling Hatred, so where's this air temple?"
12:25, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 11 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 10.  Insight check on Huet, to see if he's being honest.
DM
 GM, 1132 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 21:00
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Huet looks at Morg warily. "There are'est a few ways in and out, I understand. The one I know of lies below, in the Sighing Valley." He points out the window to the swirling mists below the tower, to the east.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 375 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 21:29
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak looked back down at the person for a moment in silence, mirth gone. "One moment."

To his companions he quietly asked while facing away from the window, "Whaddya think? Should we let 'im in? Ask his questions from our current position? Tell 'im t'piss off?" He raised an eyebrow. "I mean, it's not really our place anyway. Or are we plannin' on makin' a home here? It's got a stable already set up for Sharpwind, which is nice."
Zora Jilkina
 player, 261 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Thu 6 Sep 2018
at 03:23
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"I'm always willing to listen. Let's be nice. Until it turns out there's a reason to not be nice?"
Mayon Graycross
 player, 499 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Thu 6 Sep 2018
at 15:43
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"I don't see a reason not to let him in, myself." Mayon said, snapping his fingers to recall  Myr and shaking his head faintly. "Though this place has certainly gotten popular."
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 376 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 6 Sep 2018
at 18:47
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak gave a slight raise of his shoulders to indicate a shrug. He turned back to look down and called down to the person. "It has been decided that we shall grant you a brief audience. It will take a moment, but we are coming down." He moved away from the window and idly thought about taking Sharpwind down to 'meet' the new arrival and see if he pooped his pants. He thought better of it and just headed down to open the door.